Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Aug 1, 2020 8:55 AM

Dec 2010
It's nice to have a character development episode that takes its time these days.
Aug 1, 2020 9:17 AM
Jan 2013
Maruseru93 said:
it truly deserve a 5/5 this episode was so beautiful and emotional we finaly got to see why subaru was like he was i think he is now more determined then ever to save rem and protect emilia and the others + he has so caring parents he deserve them

and last subaru is the truly most realistic isekai mc that ever existed

Yeah, it made me tear up. The only problem was that there was a communication issue and he piled up troubles by himself on one side. I am so glad to see him move past this with their help. Truly an amazing episode.
Aug 1, 2020 11:04 AM

Jul 2020
You get to know Subaru´s childhood and why is he like that. The way he ended alone reminded me of what happened to Shouya from A Silent Voice (also they are kind of similar) but in a less violent way of course. Subaru´s parents are great persons, really loving and caring, makes you want to cry because they somehow lost their son but don´t know how. Completely funny and at the same time sad. Solid 5/5
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Aug 1, 2020 12:17 PM
Feb 2016
TheDeedsOfMen said:
ChainxBastard said:

His pride is "ideological" it's a facade he puts on in order to shield himself from the truth - that he's completely and utterly powerless. He's insecure and he attempts to overcompensate.
Nah, it isn't ideological, at least in the normal sense.

ideological
adjective
1. based on or relating to a system of ideas and ideals, especially concerning economic or political theory and policy.

Subaru's mental issues are almost entirely unideological. Psychological, sure, but that's different.

His pride is "ideological" it's a facade he puts on in order to shield himself from the truth - that he's completely and utterly powerless. He's insecure and he attempts to overcompensate. No other isekai protagonist has this crippling affliction. Hell, not many anime protagonists PERIOD have this.
Not this exact one, but it is a relatively small deviation from the norm because his insecurity and overcompensation are related to the motives that they are. There are isekai protagonists with far more serious and far more different personality flaws.

No, he didn't "get over" his issues. Re:Zero doesn't have an episodic narrative. His issues and insecurities will get the better of him from time to time. It's not an instant fix, it's a constant battle. It's seen already when he's embarrassed over Emilia protecting him from Garfield.
No major problems so far. I am not going to put the bar so low that slight embarrassment counts as a major problem. There have been over ten episodes now since the big argument and Subaru emerging more sane from its aftermath.

You're speaking as if Subaru is the only character that carries the narrative.....extremely closed minded thought process and shows a lack of understanding story structure. Re:Zero isn't a story about Subaru, at least, exclusively about him, he's a cog in the wheel in the world, and although he has influence alone he's nothing without his companions. His job is to lead others, not to take on all the burdens alone.
I already talked about problems with Emilia, Elsa, and the Witch Cult archbishops in other threads. I could talk about many of the other ones too, but do you insist on me going through the entire list of characters in every thread? Come on.

Things go wrong when he tries to force his way through like a generic protagonist would. Period.
He lacks overpowered combat abilities, sure, which is why I specifically referred to his motives. His battle style of recruiting other characters is totally fine. How his thought process almost entirely revolves around Emilia, general altruism, and hyperactive comedy is not.

In essence, you don't understand Re:Zero's story structure
"Story structure" isn't the right term. I was complaining about Subaru's motives and thought processes being too generic and uninteresting. I suppose they are related to the story structure just like many other narrative elements usually, but you could have the same broad structure and still entirely different motives and thought processes.

Emilia from what I've been told, is the major focus in this season - which will be revealed later on in cour 2 from what I've been told (no heavy spoilers though or anything).

In essence, you don't understand Re:Zero's story structure and Subaru's role in the narrative, and you don't have enough information to even infer about his characterization and the direction that's it's going to go and you're nitpicking it when you literally have zero basis to. It makes no sense.
I'm not a manga, LN or WN reader or whatever,
So you need to have read the LN and WN to argue about the narrative, but you haven't read them so... Why are you arguing then?

I am reading the LN (and eventually the WN, maybe), but it will take a bit longer.

That he, as a man, has to protect Emilia, and doesn't believe that Emilia, as the woman, DESPITE being infinitely more powerful than him (along with Rem), should be protecting him? That's an ideology. He's extremely traditional in that respect.

Slight embarrassment is not the major problem, it's what the root of it means that becomes the problem. He will try to force his way through situations even if he's too weak to do so because of his pride and his desperation to be useful. I can't think of one other isekai protagonist that is remotely close aside from maybe Rudy from Mushoku Tensei, but he didn't become powerless in another world. He was actually a genius mage.

The issue is that you're making judgments about the characters when their arcs are still ongoing especially in service of the overall narrative.

His thought process revolves around helping Emilia and his friends and the people who've helped him. There is literally nothing wrong with that.

No, it's because it sheds light on how he acted IN RETROSPECT. Re:Zero is like a puzzle, and once you are given one piece you may need to backtrack to the beginning of the story to make the puzzle piece fit into the whole picture. It's very non-linear.

The joy doesn't come from deep, complex and dense themes, it comes from putting all of the pieces together in order to paint a picture, and having to backtrack to make sense of an event that might seem small or trivial to you, does not take away from the masterpiece in story telling that this anime is.

My point was that both of their character arcs are ongoing regardless and your speculation and judgement is not only incorrect, but also premature.
Aug 1, 2020 1:40 PM

May 2015
It seems different from other Re zero episodes so far (S2) and it was... nice?

Also, witch is school uniform was neat. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 1, 2020 4:46 PM

Apr 2012
So, Subaru is almost openly stating that he is going to do one true threesome with Emilia and Rem? It's a little too fast, but I like it.

But if it's no joke, then I liked this episode. The strange color correction was somewhat distracting, but as a person who once read this novel in the web-novel version, I really liked how White Fox animated his parents. Father was exactly what I imagined him to be, but mother seemed a little emotionless to me. Like he was the son of that fox-eyed girl from Love Hina.

And damn, HE FINALLY COULD GET TO SCHOOL! I thought I would only see it in the next episode, lol.

In general, so far the second season leaves me with a double impression. I love the end result of White Fox and the new atmosphere of the show, but the narrative feels kind of delusional. It's like I'm in a half-dream.
Aug 1, 2020 6:38 PM

Jul 2016
This episode is absolutely amazing. I don't usually cry at sad scenes like these but for some reason, these really hit home. Subaru finally decided to let it all out instead of just hiding it all this time. And when he finally gets to school, its revealed that this was all Echidna's doing and was a part of her trial. What a twist! LOVED IT!
Aug 1, 2020 6:54 PM

Aug 2009
Great episode. I didn't expect to see an episode like THIS. At first it was a bit boring , but the feels slowly started to hit. Great parents, great emotions. Beautiful episode. Wondering what else is to come.
Aug 1, 2020 10:34 PM

May 2014
ChainxBastard said:
That he, as a man, has to protect Emilia, and doesn't believe that Emilia, as the woman, DESPITE being infinitely more powerful than him (along with Rem), should be protecting him? That's an ideology. He's extremely traditional in that respect.
You are right. Subaru did mention several that a man should protect women because he is a man. Girls are cute, men must protect them, and so on. Now that I think about it, I bashed him for that when season 1 was aired. If we count that, then he is very conservative (in the "blind adherence to tradition" kind of way) and very sexist too. That makes me like his character even less though because the subject isn't properly handled or actually discussed further.

Slight embarrassment is not the major problem, it's what the root of it means that becomes the problem. He will try to force his way through situations even if he's too weak to do so because of his pride and his desperation to be useful. I can't think of one other isekai protagonist that is remotely close aside from maybe Rudy from Mushoku Tensei, but he didn't become powerless in another world. He was actually a genius mage.
Compared to some protagonists who are more ideologically driven, who make tougher or more controversial moral calls, or who are even borderline sociopathic, the things Subaru believes in seem relatively standard to me. That's what I am comparing to.

The issue is that you're making judgments about the characters when their arcs are still ongoing especially in service of the overall narrative.

My point was that both of their character arcs are ongoing regardless and your speculation and judgement is not only incorrect, but also premature.
I am trying to be patient, but there have been 29 episodes by now, which correspond to 9-10 volumes. The pacing is far too slow. Dropping more hints is far overdue. The mystery elements have seen too little use. Subaru's mental issues should also be developed further and applied to fresh topics.

His thought process revolves around helping Emilia and his friends and the people who've helped him. There is literally nothing wrong with that.
What is wrong is that it is stale narratively. What would he do in a different kind of situation? He is constantly placed in situations of black-and-white morality (for instance, someone like Petelgeuse tries to kill people), so he does not have to make truly difficult moral calls. I don't know what he'd do if he was pressed harder, not only by deaths and horror but by conflicts in his conscience.

No, it's because it sheds light on how he acted IN RETROSPECT. Re:Zero is like a puzzle, and once you are given one piece you may need to backtrack to the beginning of the story to make the puzzle piece fit into the whole picture. It's very non-linear.
Foreshadowing? Sure, I like clever foreshadowing. For example, I have rated Kumo Desu ga (look, another isekai LN) highly, and foreshadowing was one of the reasons. It is quite a bit heavier there though, and it isn't the only reason.

Usually non-linear narration refers to narrative segments that take place at different timepoints, like flashbacks or parallel tracks at different timepoints. I like that too if done right.

The foreshadowing in Re:Zero seems fine in principle. The pacing is too slow though.

The joy doesn't come from deep, complex and dense themes, it comes from putting all of the pieces together in order to paint a picture, and having to backtrack to make sense of an event that might seem small or trivial to you, does not take away from the masterpiece in story telling that this anime is.
There is no reason why they can't have the mystery and foreshadowing and still beef up the substance and dialogue too. I have seen it happen. Poor dialogue and poor thematic choices can sink any story though, even if there is nothing wrong with the structure.

North25 said:
what volume of the LN are you at currently?
I am reading through the older volumes too just in case. Currently at 4 volumes. Give it a few weeks or something.
TheDeedsOfMenAug 1, 2020 10:59 PM
Aug 1, 2020 11:22 PM
Aug 2018
TheDeedsOfMen said:
You are right. Subaru did mention several that a man should protect women because he is a man. Girls are cute, men must protect them, and so on. Now that I think about it, I bashed him for that when season 1 was aired. If we count that, then he is very conservative (in the "blind adherence to tradition" kind of way) and very sexist too. That makes me like his character even less though because the subject isn't properly handled or actually discussed further.

1. He is very prideful (reasons explained in this episode).
2. He objectified these isekai girls (as some kind of "waifu") because he falls into the group of people who believed in otaku wish fulfilment & escapism tropes. He pretty much objectified Emilia for a large part of season 1 because she fit well into his image of an ideal heroine (notice Subaru's room is filled with figures and posters of silver-hair girls). But the 3rd Arc was about him realizing and acknowledging his own flaws, and this aspect has changed to an extent by Ep25 (he apologises to Emilia in that episode).

He is constantly placed in situations of black-and-white morality (for instance, someone like Petelgeuse tries to kill people), so he does not have to make truly difficult moral calls. I don't know what he'd do if he was pressed harder, not only by deaths and horror but by conflicts in his conscience.

We will probably see something similar in this season (regarding the black-and-white morality you mentioned). This season's focus is not the horror and death (although they will still exist given how his ability works). Perhaps the next few episodes will make it interesting. For example:-

1. Would you classify Echidna as a "bad guy" or a "good guy"? She is multi-faceted. She is not an obvious "bad guy" like Petelgeuse.

2. Would you classify Garfiel as a "bad guy" or a "good guy"? He is holding these human villagers (and Subaru, Emilia, Roswaal, etc) as a hostage. And he can resort to violence also (he attacked Subaru in their first meeting). But his motivations are getting the barrier lifted to that his demihuman village can be finally liberated.

3. Then there is Roswaal. Episode 2,3 this season (and most of his appearances in Season 1) pretty much foreshadowed that he is probably up to something shady. He also seemed to have a connection to Echidna. But he is also the person who is endorsing/supporting Emilia for the throne. Is he a "good guy" or a "bad guy"?

4. There's Beatrice. She seemed upset on hearing that Petelgeuse died, and forced Subaru out. Notice in Season 1 she did not even help during Witch Cult's attack. But she usually helps out Subaru in the Mansion/Dog arc. Is she a "bad guy" or a "good guy"?

Foreshadowing? Sure, I like clever foreshadowing. For example, I have rated Kumo Desu ga (look, another isekai LN) highly, and foreshadowing was one of the reasons. It is quite a bit heavier there though, and it isn't the only reason.
Usually non-linear narration refers to narrative segments that take place at different timepoints, like flashbacks or parallel tracks at different timepoints. I like that too if done right.

We can see lot more meaning behind most of Subaru's dialogues and actions in Season 1 if we analyze this episode and view things in retrospection. For example:-

1. His toxic idealization and objectification of Emilia for a large part of Season 1, and connecting it with the fact that his room is filled with posters & figurines of silver-hair girls (check out this thread:- https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1853776 )

2. His arguments with Julius in the royal palace (episode 13) when he made a complete fool out of himself.

And connecting it to:-

And many more..
rakp333Aug 1, 2020 11:48 PM
Aug 2, 2020 12:27 AM

May 2014
rakp333 said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

1. He is very prideful (reasons explained in this episode).
2. He objectified these isekai girls (as some kind of "waifu") because he falls into the group of people who believed in otaku wish fulfilment & escapism tropes. He pretty much objectified Emilia for a large part of season 1 because she fit well into his image of an ideal heroine (notice Subaru's room is filled with figures and posters of silver-hair girls). But the 3rd Arc was about him realizing and acknowledging his own flaws, and this aspect has changed to an extent by Ep25 (he apologises to Emilia in that episode).
I agree with all of that. The otaku tropes themselves also carry ideological undertones if we dissect them enough.

We will probably see something similar in this season (regarding the black-and-white morality you mentioned). This season's focus is not the horror and death (although they will still exist given how his ability works). Perhaps the next few episodes will make it interesting. For example:-

1. Would you classify Echidna as a "bad guy" or a "good guy"? She is multi-faceted. She is not an obvious "bad guy" like Petelgeuse.
Not enough information to judge yet. I barely know anything about her.

2. Would you classify Garfiel as a "bad guy" or a "good guy"? He is holding these human villagers (and Subaru, Emilia, Roswaal, etc) as a hostage. And he can resort to violence also (he attacked Subaru in their first meeting). But his motivations are getting the barrier lifted to that his demihuman village can be finally liberated.
I usually like a good hostage situation. Maybe they could have focused more on it.

3. Then there is Roswaal. Episode 2,3 this season (and most of his appearances in Season 1) pretty much foreshadowed that he is probably up to something shady. He also seemed to have a connection to Echidna. But he is also the person who is endorsing/supporting Emilia for the throne. Is he a "good guy" or a "bad guy"?

4. There's Beatrice. She seemed upset on hearing that Petelgeuse died, and forced Subaru out. Notice in Season 1 she did not even help during Witch Cult's attack. But she usually helps out Subaru in the Mansion/Dog arc. Is she a "bad guy" or a "good guy"?
Roswaal and Beatrice have been sketchy pretty much from the start. They have great potential if they get enough screentime and are handled in the right way. For now, I don't know enough, and the hints are pretty limited too. I would also throw Puck in the same group, by the way. He is very sketchy as well.

We can see lot more meaning behind most of Subaru's dialogues and actions in Season 1 if we analyze this episode and view things in retrospection. For example:-

1. His toxic idealization and objectification of Emilia for a large part of Season 1, and connecting it with the fact that his room is filled with posters & figurines of silver-hair girls (check out this thread:- https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1853776 )
Sure, I noticed that.

2. His arguments with Julius in the royal palace (episode 13) when he made a complete fool out of himself.
I saw the pics when you posted them previously. I didn't actively remember the reference to fathers before reading the quote, but with the quote the connection is pretty clear. It is solid foreshadowing. Episode 13 was the best in general, for a few other reasons also.
TheDeedsOfMenAug 2, 2020 12:31 AM
Aug 2, 2020 5:00 AM

Apr 2020
re: zero would be a fine romcom SoL show
subaru's mom >>> emilia > rem

Aug 2, 2020 5:31 AM
Aug 2016
mozgow said:
AbsurdTurk said:
RTBD does not tear Subaru into pieces; his deaths are caused by external sources. Because of Subaru's power, he never has to worry about permanently dying. Because of his power, he can defeat almost anyone, because he has unlimited chances to retry, he can gain as much info as he can from his enemies.
Yes, return by death does not tear Subaru into pieces, but it requires him to die. Except for one death (arc 2 when he died in his sleep) all other were painful. If you think that not fearing death and the pain should be a normal thing for Subaru, then I don't know what to say to you.

Considering how dangerous the world of Re:Zero is and he's died quite a few times in his life already, it would make no sense for him to still fear death and pain.
They're part of life, and going into a 3-episode heroic BSOD won't ever fix anything when, in the end, if Satella wants him to fulfill his destiny, he might as well run and procrastinate until he's old man and die of old age, he'll come back as his younger self - the only difference with a proactive take being that he would lose his momentum and useful memories, making him more likely to just go ignore it again and live endlessly in a loop of doing nothing, missing his objective of getting to see his parents again.

He has (and had) to die to get the vital knowledge he needs to go further, all he can do is keep a bottle of poison with himself to die less painfully, and go drink some coffee when he's tired. That'll do him way more good than "fearing death and pain".

Finally, RTBD Is broken and basically carries Subaru while he should have died from the get-go. Most likely will carry him all the way to to the story's end if it does not get cancelled, too. It'd be fallacious to just deny that because there are more broken powers around.
DunsparceFanboyAug 2, 2020 5:52 AM
Aug 2, 2020 5:41 AM
Feb 2020
TheDeedsOfMen said:
ChainxBastard said:

Compared to some protagonists who are more ideologically driven, who make tougher or more controversial moral calls, or who are even borderline sociopathic, the things Subaru believes in seem relatively standard to me. That's what I am comparing to.

I am trying to be patient, but there have been 29 episodes by now, which correspond to 9-10 volumes. The pacing is far too slow. Dropping more hints is far overdue. The mystery elements have seen too little use. Subaru's mental issues should also be developed further and applied to fresh topics.

What is wrong is that it is stale narratively. What would he do in a different kind of situation? He is constantly placed in situations of black-and-white morality (for instance, someone like Petelgeuse tries to kill people), so he does not have to make truly difficult moral calls. I don't know what he'd do if he was pressed harder, not only by deaths and horror but by conflicts in his conscience.

The foreshadowing in Re:Zero seems fine in principle. The pacing is too slow though.

There is no reason why they can't have the mystery and foreshadowing and still beef up the substance and dialogue too. I have seen it happen. Poor dialogue and poor thematic choices can sink any story though, even if there is nothing wrong with the structure.

North25 said:
what volume of the LN are you at currently?
I am reading through the older volumes too just in case. Currently at 4 volumes. Give it a few weeks or something.

oh okay, just wanted to check if it was fine to mention stuff from this season in spoiler tags with you.
Aug 2, 2020 5:55 AM

May 2013
DunsparceFanboy said:
Considering how dangerous the world of Re:Zero is and he's died quite a few times in his life already, it would make no sense for him to still fear death and pain.
They're part of life, and going into a 3-episode heroic BSOD won't ever fix anything when, in the end, if Satella wants him to fulfill his destiny, he might as well run and procrastinate until he's old man and die of old age, he'll come back as his younger self - the only difference with a proactive take being that he would lose his momentum and useful memories, making him more likely to just go ignore it again and live endlessly in a loop of doing nothing, missing his objective of getting to see his parents again.

He has to die to get the vital knowledge he needs to go further, all he can do is keep a bottle of poison with himself to die less painfully, and go drink some coffee when he's tired. That'll do him way more good than "fearing death and pain".

Finally, RTBD Is broken and basically carries Subaru while he should have died from the get-go. It'd be fallacious to just deny that because there are more broken powers around.

Hm, there's some intentionally vague reasons as to why the so-called 'fallacious denial' exists.

1) Subaru's witch miasma grows stronger every time he dies. Whether this is some form of slow-poison, nobody knows.
2) It hasn't been confirmed if Subaru can endlessly die and be able to pretty much "game" the whole situation to his wishes.
3) It is emphasized that dying isn't something Subaru should not resort to exploiting since he has no control over when and where to return from. Him being proactive about dying repeatedly won't fix anything. Whether Subaru can gain control isn't made clear yet.
4) Satella's goal hasn't been defined yet and is completely open to speculation. Could Subaru be one of her pawns she summoned from the real world to get to do her bidding? Is Subaru the only one with RBD? Were there others like Subaru who were summoned but failed to perform according to Satella? etc. etc. (there are other summoned people like Subaru in Re:zero, we've seen one of them back in S1 and some miniscule hints of real world stuff already present in Lugunica).

If RBD was broken, then Subaru should have been able actively choose when to return from when he died, right from the beginning. That basically absolves the whole series from any risk and tension.
KreatorXAug 2, 2020 6:03 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 2, 2020 6:16 AM
Aug 2016
KreatorX said:
DunsparceFanboy said:

He has to die to get the vital knowledge he needs to go further, all he can do is keep a bottle of poison with himself to die less painfully, and go drink some coffee when he's tired. That'll do him way more good than "fearing death and pain".

Finally, RTBD Is broken and basically carries Subaru while he should have died from the get-go. It'd be fallacious to just deny that because there are more broken powers around.

Hm, there's some intentionally vague reasons as to why the so-called 'fallacious denial' exists.

1) Subaru's witch miasma grows stronger every time he dies. Whether this is some form of slow-poison, nobody knows.
2) It hasn't been confirmed if Subaru can endlessly die and be able to pretty much "game" the whole situation to his wishes.
3) It is emphasized that dying isn't something Subaru should not resort to exploiting since he has no control over when and where to return from. Him being proactive about dying repeatedly won't fix anything. Whether Subaru can gain control isn't made clear yet.
4) Satella's goal hasn't been defined yet and is completely open to speculation.

If RBD was broken, then Subaru should have been able actively choose when to return from when he died, right from the beginning. That basically absolves the whole series from any risk and tension.

Fair points right there. I'll go over every one of them.

Yes. And it's most definitely preferable not to die when there's no fatal mistake made so you don't get to have everyone suspect you because of your witch smell, which has been one of the most noticeable effects of the miasma up to now.

In such a painful world, death would be salvation.. And since he's already died, he might not get to notice he really will die for good, as he would just think that'd be the RTBD procedure. So no regrets about not being here for Rem, Emilia, and his parents. A win-win situation, even if an unusual one.

It also has been emphasized that Subaru is an awful person, and yet here we are, developing him to make him likeable. We've been seeing his perspective for a while, so of course we'd get to share his opinion about pain being painful and death being deathful.

4) Satella's goal hasn't been defined yet and is completely open to speculation.

Clever. She could be powering herself through the death of Subaru or something like that. That's a pretty fascinating point, but her means are still known - and no matter what she does of that, they profit Subaru for now, and Satella seems to want to keep that going.

Of course you're right and Subaru should definitely not just kill himself every little mistake considering how risky it could theorically be behind the curtain, but death is still his greatest tool, and even if it might cause his failure, it's only fair considering it's what allowed him to survive in the first place.

Still, up to that point, It has proven to be fairly broken. And i by no means want to get on my high horses about that, since, you're absolutely right, the downsides might be even more broken.
DunsparceFanboyAug 2, 2020 6:32 AM
Aug 2, 2020 6:25 AM

May 2013
Slences said:
U guys just wasting u time and in the end u guys got even more frustrated and blame this sequel for wasting your time.
Well, let them be. They are actively interested in wasting their precious time, and it is their conscious decision in doing so. If they couldn't extract enjoyment but others were fully able to, then it's just an example of poor decision making from one side.

Yes, you are right to point out that a reasonable decision is to drop the show and move on, but if they are still adamant about wasting time and have convinced themselves that the series cannot possibly improve, then who are we to manage their time for them?
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 2, 2020 6:50 AM
Aug 2018

People who want Subaru to die 1000 times will have a rough time this season. Especially the 2nd Cour. Haha xD
Aug 2, 2020 8:07 AM

Oct 2017
Slences said:
Can you guys just stop arguing. If u really thinks this sequel is boring and doesn't make any sense. Just stop watching it. No one is forcing u to watch it. Ya, i know u guys are bore and looking something to kill time. But literally why, that's no kill time. U guys just wasting u time and in the end u guys got even more frustrated and blame this sequel for wasting your time.

Now this was a complete waste of time.
Aug 2, 2020 1:47 PM
Jul 2015
I didn't really like this episode. So the only reason Subaru became a delinquent is because he couldn't handle the pressure to live up to his parents' expectations? It looks like his dad was a really an outstanding person and that's why people around them kept comparing subaru to his dad. Sorry but Subaru's backstory wasn't really compelling. Ishigami's back story from kaguya anime is similar to this and that was wayyy better.
Aug 2, 2020 2:32 PM

Apr 2015
This episode reminded me why I have such a big love-hate relationship with the show. It has some amazing episodes with great character exploration and development cast ashore amid a sea of mediocrity.
Aug 2, 2020 3:05 PM
Feb 2016
iVanz said:
I didn't really like this episode. So the only reason Subaru became a delinquent is because he couldn't handle the pressure to live up to his parents' expectations? It looks like his dad was a really an outstanding person and that's why people around them kept comparing subaru to his dad. Sorry but Subaru's backstory wasn't really compelling. Ishigami's back story from kaguya anime is similar to this and that was wayyy better.

No. You completely missed the point. Go rewatch the episode.
Aug 2, 2020 4:06 PM
Aug 2018
ChainxBastard said:
iVanz said:

No. You completely missed the point. Go rewatch the episode.

Let me try to explain it better:-

Subaru's character represents average otaku who strongly believes in escapist "wish fulfilment" tropes of Fantasy/Isekai settings.

He succumbed under the weight of all the expectations and retreated inside his own shell ("escape" from reality). Started makes excuses to himself to skip school, etc etc. It's pretty realistic (happens to a lot of the NEETs) and not extremely altruistic like Ishigami (which was a bit too unrealistic imo, highschools kid in real life are not that selfless).

But anyway, the point was to provide a solid thematic conclusion to his character Arc in Season 1.

Subaru craved to escape his "real" life, and much to his amusement, found himself Isekai-d. But this world was quite opposite to what one would expect from a fantasy setting which normally ends up spoiling people. He is forced to work hard and break out of his own shell.

The past Subaru wouldn't have been able to confront his father or mother, or be able to make up his mind to go to school. The Isekai experience changed him for the good, made him a better person by preparing him to face life, and he has now grown as a person.

It fits well with the underlying themes of re:zero, as the show tries to provide meta-commentary and criticism on such "escapist" tropes of fantasy/Isekai settings.

Moreover, we get more context to many of Subaru's actions and dialogues in Season 1, if we analyze this episode and view things in retrospection. Just few examples:-

1. His toxic idealization and objectification of Emilia (as some "waifu") in 1st half of S1, because she fit well into his image of an ideal heroine (notice Subaru's room is filled with figures and posters of silver-hair girls, check this thread:- https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1853776). But the 2nd half was about him realizing and acknowledging his own flaws, and this aspect has changed by Ep25 (he apologizes to Emilia in that episode) and now he sees & loves her as a normal girl.

Imperial Knights, Royal Guards and other such palace occupations are heavily influenced by Nepotism. This adds weight to Subaru's dislike for their knightly mannerisms (he made remarks along "You just happened to be born into this job" to Julius in that same episode). Connecting it to his own "daddy" issues and complexes:-

And there are many more such instances throughout Season 1 ..
rakp333Aug 2, 2020 5:28 PM
Aug 2, 2020 5:22 PM
Mar 2015
This episode made me hate Subaru even more than the entire first season put together. He is a piece of shit with the first world problem if being an asshole. And this episode was just boring and cheap melodrama. Smh at all the people praising this crap.
Aug 2, 2020 6:37 PM

Oct 2013
Such a great episode, Subaru takes the test and confronts his past, the regrets from being an awful son despite having awesome parents.

The first test was confronting his relationship with Kenichi, Subaru who always felt a shadow of his succesfull dad told him the truth and was capable of getting closure, despite not being able to pay them back cause he got Isekaied

The second test was talking with mom, obviously cause the relationship with both were different the tests also were different, more than anything I think that the regret from not being capable of saying goodbye to mom and dissapear put a lot of pain in subaru´s heart

I hope that the adaptation of the LN will still be as aweasome as this first chapters Whitefox keep it going
/* FALLING SNOW */
.list-container:after {
position: fixed;
left: 0;
top: 0;
content: '';
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
background-image: url(https://i.imgur.com/uVN2Nk8.png),
url(https://i.imgur.com/3d7VHiA.png),
url(https://i.imgur.com/s0pY1pb.png);
animation: SNOW 20s linear infinite;
z-index: 10000;
pointer-events: none !important;
}

@keyframes SNOW {
0% { background-position: 0 0, 0 0, 0 0; }
100% { background-position: 500px 1000px, 400px 400px, 300px 300px; }
}
Aug 2, 2020 6:53 PM
Oct 2009
I was excited to see some real-world Subaru but I think this ep could have been better structured. It was just emotional speech after emotional speech, and coming from characters never seen before, to boot. I got bored fast.
Aug 3, 2020 8:38 AM

Jun 2019
An absolute masterpiece of an episode. A really touching way to show the interaction b/w Subaru and his parents.
Great Episode as we got to know of Subaru's normal life and what has he gone through. I somehow, relate a lot to this episode. 5/5
Aug 3, 2020 12:49 PM

Jun 2020
legatoredwinters said:
This episode made me hate Subaru even more than the entire first season put together. He is a piece of shit with the first world problem if being an asshole. And this episode was just boring and cheap melodrama. Smh at all the people praising this crap.

So in your opinion only death, abuse, trauma can scar a character? His problem was interesting because it was so grounded, yet important to him.
‘It may be admitted that if it were possible for us to have so deep an insight into a human's way of thinking, as it shows itself both through inner and outer actions, that every, even the least incentive to these actions and all external occasions which affect them, were so known to us, then his future conduct could be predicted as certainly as the appearance of a solar or a lunar eclipse.’ Critique of Practical Reason, p. 230 of the Rosenkranz.
Aug 4, 2020 12:26 AM
Dec 2019
I did enjoy this weeks episode. Im glad we got to see a vision of Subaru's family, and where he came from.

Both his parents are both genuine loving parents, that dont care what Subaru does.
im glad he got to speak with them both. i wonder in the next episode if the Witch of Greed will offer her "Tea" again?
Aug 4, 2020 8:01 AM

Jun 2020
I legit cried at this episode ;-; it was really emotional and touching!!
I'm so happy for Subaru now :')

Though when you think about what being isekai'ed means... </3
Aug 4, 2020 12:51 PM
Apr 2020
It was nice to go back and see the roots of why Subaru is the way he is.

Could've gone without the butthole quote though. It came out of nowhere. xD
Aug 4, 2020 1:23 PM

Jan 2018
God this episode cut deep
What a beautiful Duwang
Aug 4, 2020 9:03 PM

Oct 2015
legatoredwinters said:

literally the meaning of hoes mad lol. Get mad because many people rally have different view from his opinion.
Aug 4, 2020 11:25 PM
Jul 2018
This is a part of trial after all. So please do not think this episode is
flashback.
Aug 5, 2020 4:13 AM

Nov 2018
The amount of feels this episode gave me was fucking massive. But the at same time, the anxiety it gave me after the screen time of Rem was also massive. I just hope the author won't pull a two bride thing near the end of the series cause of how popular Rem is.
Aug 5, 2020 1:39 PM
Jan 2019
This episode explain that Isekai was never a good thing.

There are some people who care about you, always support you, and do anything to make you feel happy.

But you're too egoist, that you think there are NO ONE actually care about you.
Aug 5, 2020 2:08 PM
Feb 2018
I'm surprised I'm in the minority that didn't like this episode. I made it half way then FF to the ending. Maybe if I was a reader of the manga this would've meant more.
Aug 5, 2020 2:28 PM

Jul 2014
wishywashy2 said:
I'm surprised I'm in the minority that didn't like this episode. I made it half way then FF to the ending. Maybe if I was a reader of the manga this would've meant more.
Not every anime is for everyone but what was the most boring part for you ?
Aug 5, 2020 9:16 PM

Aug 2017
"Take care" 😢😢

I think that its the first time an isekai adress the past of the main character so much. 5/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 5, 2020 9:30 PM
Dec 2018
This episode is literally something you can only achieve from an isekai anime. Absolutely breathtaking. Even if it's totally separate from the rest of the story and I doubt we'll see this again until maybe the last episode/chapter of the whole series, and it goes right back into regular Re:Zero the next episode, this is a truly special episode.
Aug 7, 2020 1:06 AM

Apr 2015
anyone here on the opinion that Subaru's parents are actual trash and toxic? here's my reasoning:

first of all let's be honest: subaru was cringy as fuck in arc 1, arc 2 and the first loop of arc 3. the height of his cringiness was of course when she kissed Anastasia's feet. guess where he got all that toxic and cringe behavior? from his parents of course!

he only truly "grew up" after he got humiliated by everyone on arc 3. before that he was cringe. from his cringy dad and cringy mom. personally I even cringed when he bowed to his mom. like dude why are you bowing your head to a cringe and toxic wahmim?
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Aug 8, 2020 8:47 AM

Oct 2012
Theoretically, this would be great backstory episode (and we really did learn a lot about Subaru here) but each conversation here screamed "now be moved" or "cry". There was way too much pathos to my taste.

Also, his parents responses got repetetive after a while (basically, "you are like me/him" and "let's show how mothers always embarasses you" themes were beated almost constantly).

So while I technically liked the episode, it felt bit forced at the same time. Unlike the Rem confession in the last season which was top-notch example of one on one conversation.

One thing of note though: would be interesting to learn that Subaru really does have a weak heart IRL and that whole of this story was just his chuunibyou fantasies after having that heart-stroke near the konbini.
Aug 8, 2020 9:03 PM

Jun 2020
kyomahooin23 said:
Subaru's father is something extremely cringe.
The mother seems to me the most normal person in the family.
I would have liked to see Ram's reaction to his parents, I think he would have had no doubts.
In any case, a wonderful episode, it explains a lot about Subaru's past and pushes us to deal with it so that on the return to the world of Luganica it can blossom and ascend to its destiny.
Echidna in the end does not surprise me much, from the beginning she had chosen him as a champion for the test of the sanctuary and logical to think that she will keep an eye on him also in this dimension.
It's not a different dimension. It's the test of the sanctuary.
"
Aug 8, 2020 9:30 PM
Apr 2020
Hoh boi that was good. Now we see Subaru's background, very nice
Aug 8, 2020 11:03 PM

May 2014
Wow.

This episode hit me harder than any episode in any anime series ever has. Maybe it's because i'm a worthless loser myself but fuck this hit hard.

I wish i had a father like that.
Aug 9, 2020 12:50 PM
Apr 2019
Eh, unpopular opinion but this was a pretty slow episode with an overused concept (MC faces his past and that gives him the courage to keep going). I was interested in how he will react to being back in his old life but they just glossed over it and made it into just 2 long conversations.
Aug 9, 2020 8:17 PM

Jan 2013
What an episode! I'm speechless, this took ReZero again on another level.
I think I've never seen such a great backstory of a character before he died and also a way to make him fix his past errors, wow! Just wow!

This episode had to definitely be 30min, so much to tell! And watching all those moments with his parents, that was sad boy...

Definitely the best episode so far!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 10, 2020 4:43 PM
Waifu Inspector

Sep 2019
Subaru's parents are very supportive of him. I know of parents that have kicked their kid out for not going to school that long. His parents are also very understanding of him, and his Mom seems to know him pretty well. I lol'd at the mayonnaise part, and it reminded me of the pool full of frozen mayonnaise from the OVA - Memory Snow. Also Echidna is pretty appealing in that school uniform.
Aug 11, 2020 4:49 AM

Jul 2016
AivanK said:
I think I've never seen such a great backstory of a character before he died

Subaru didn't die before being transported to Lugnica :3
Aug 11, 2020 5:04 AM

Jul 2016
Yomama003 said:
overused concept (MC faces his past and that gives him the courage to keep going).

But it's not that at all. Facing his past didn't give him the courage to keep going. His present (meeting Emilia and Rem + everything that happened) gave him the courage to face his past. It boldly showed that Subaru had changed during the first season and gave an explanation to many of this choices up until now.

I was interested in how he will react to being back in his old life but they just glossed over it and made it into just 2 long conversations.

Subaru was literally living his past like he never left. It was only in the middle of the conversation with his father that he remembered Emilia and that he wasn't in the present, but just facing his past.

There was nothing to react to, as Subaru's parents (in the trial) haven't experienced him being gone so they wouldn't understand Subaru trying to say "hey Dad I lived in a fantasy world for a while... I died a few times but Emilia Emilia EMILIA..."
Moreover, Subaru was caught in the movement as he entered the trial without his memories of Lugnica... and that's without saying how Kenichi imposed himself on Subaru when he woke up.
Pages (14) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 30, 2020

504 by titty »»
Apr 11, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kaiseki - Sep 23, 2020

453 by titty »»
Apr 11, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 16, 2020

675 by titty »»
Apr 11, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 2, 2020

516 by titty »»
Apr 11, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Aug 26, 2020

603 by Fovoin »»
Mar 9, 2:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.