Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2020 9:59 AM

Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow! This was amazing. Really like the unique art and the animation was beautiful too.
Jul 26, 2020 4:47 PM

Apr 2014
Jaw-dropping art, animation, and action sequences. Anybody know the word for sakuga in donghua terms? Cuz this is it!! Bonus points for on-point facial expressions, but let's not take anything away from the story because the setup is great as well!

That one scene where the guy made a madeshift bow from an abacus and shot chess pieces had me. It was real good and it managed to capture the tension.
Jul 27, 2020 9:11 PM
Jun 2017
The Mandarin reading of the characters read in Japanese as sakuga is zuòhuà, so that's one option.
Jul 28, 2020 11:28 AM

Sep 2018
i'm hooked
great first episode
Jul 28, 2020 1:56 PM

Dec 2017
My eyes aren't worthy to watch this gorgeous chinese animation...

Jul 30, 2020 6:19 AM

Feb 2020
My god that was amazing... that chinese shit hit different

Jul 30, 2020 11:23 PM

Aug 2015
The action scenes were clearly given a lot of love. So dynamic, fluid, colourful, and exciting.

But the facial expressions, walking animations, etc can be pretty terrible. The scenes of characters just casually walking or jogging were awful compared to the running during action scenes.
Close ups of expressions that are supposed to be dramatic just look awkward. The lip movements were pretty bad too. The exaggerated comedic facial expressions were waaay too much.

Background art was gorgeous. Made the character art pale in comparison. The ink brush animation during the OP was fantastic. That exposition scene explaining the elementals looked great too.

Overall quality is a strange mishmash of both excellent and crappy.
whitherJul 31, 2020 1:25 AM
Aug 5, 2020 7:03 AM

May 2013
I loove the scene with the spear fighting when it bended and kinda inflated on impact or the dodging jumps. You could see that every hit that connects has a weight behind it and the luscious background are totally wallpaper material.

For the negative parts which @whither already pointed out, some of the exaggerating expressions are funny but they stayed frozen too long and it kinda turns awkward and for the walking animation... it kinda looks like the movements don't match within the tracking shot, like they're moving very slowly or standing on a hoverboard instead of walking.

For the first episode it looks promising and I'm kinda wondering, if it's really confirmed that the series only has three episodes?
Aug 9, 2020 11:56 PM
Aug 2020
XxsilverfoxX said:
For the first episode it looks promising and I'm kinda wondering, if it's really confirmed that the series only has three episodes?

Yes, and no.

This series is planned to have more episodes (5-8 more, from what I hear), however, as the studio that makes it is small (6 people) and poor (they are located in some backwater mountainous village), so they are releasing 3 episodes first as a prelude of sorts in order to get more support, hopefully in the form of one or more sponsor, so they can expand and accelerate the animation-making process.

Luckily the first episodes turned out to be a huge hit, so if we are lucky, the next episodes will come at an accelerated speed.
Aug 10, 2020 5:41 AM

May 2013
Pyre_light said:
XxsilverfoxX said:

Yes, and no.

This series is planned to have more episodes (5-8 more, from what I hear), however, as the studio that makes it is small (6 people) and poor (they are located in some backwater mountainous village), so they are releasing 3 episodes first as a prelude of sorts in order to get more support, hopefully in the form of one or more sponsor, so they can expand and accelerate the animation-making process.

Luckily the first episodes turned out to be a huge hit, so if we are lucky, the next episodes will come at an accelerated speed.

Alrighty thank you for the good news! That makes sense that the beautiful animation would require much work.
Aug 18, 2020 5:48 PM

Dec 2016
There are english subs out today for all episodes! I and 2 other friends decided to work on it. It took a week and a half, but the results speak for themselves. The subs are so good, in fact, that major piracy streaming sites replaced their old versions with our subs, even if they broke some of the typesetting we did.
I arrange video game sheet music for piano:
My arrangements
My (very few) anime arrangements
Sep 26, 2020 8:26 AM

Nov 2018
I saw that this show is rated quite highly, and I can see why. The animation in the fights were amazing, breathtakingly beautiful, though the animation of the characters' movements weren't all that great. Also the subs were translated weirdly and uses broken English, as if they pulled it straight out of Google Translate.

Still a really good episode to hook you in. I'm hoping some of the issues get solved soon.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Dec 6, 2020 6:42 AM

Dec 2018
after seeing the elements stuff n all i'd thought it's a rip off of Avatar: The Last Airbender but i was wrong ;v
and damn, those visuals
Dec 15, 2020 8:00 PM

Apr 2009
I think I saw a clip of this in a YT AMV several years ago...it seems it's finally out, and just in time to entertain us in the time of the CoViD-19 pandemic. I'm digging the art style and the visuals, and though they're far and few in this episode the comical and exaggerated facial expressions of Xiao An, Xuan and that duck gets me all the time. Plot-wise the elemental aspect, demons, etc are great and all but I'm more interested on those brothers; the Seventh Brother/Uncle can turn his abacus into a freaking bow with the abacus beads as explosive projectiles, heck even the ordinary looking Sixth Brother/Uncle can fight like a badass, the Fifth is even better than the Sixth with his spear, wonder what the rest of their siblings can do?

OneofEvil said:
that chinese shit hit different
Oh yes indeed.

Mealstrom_1 said:
There are english subs out today for all episodes! I and 2 other friends decided to work on it. It took a week and a half, but the results speak for themselves. The subs are so good, in fact, that major piracy streaming sites replaced their old versions with our subs, even if they broke some of the typesetting we did.
I watched v2 of your releases. I cannot thank you and your 2 friends enough.

You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 22, 2021 4:46 PM

Apr 2018
The animation was just insane.. Chinese humor is pretty fun ig.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 10, 2021 1:41 PM
Jul 2021
azratun002 said:
after seeing the elements stuff n all i'd thought it's a rip off of Avatar: The Last Airbender but i was wrong ;v
and damn, those visuals

Actually I thought Avatar: The Last Airbender was a ripoff of Chinese martial arts / fantasy stories / wuxings (Chinese belief regarding the elements).
Aug 11, 2021 9:39 PM

Dec 2018
mrbokchoi said:
azratun002 said:
and damn, those visuals

Actually I thought Avatar: The Last Airbender was a ripoff of Chinese martial arts / fantasy stories / wuxings (Chinese belief regarding the elements).

I'm not familiar with Chinese culture tbh. I didn't even know these things existed in their culture so I thought... ;3
Aug 13, 2021 5:36 PM

Jul 2019
Ok, pretty damn good first episode, but why does this seem like every Chinese series ever with the legend stuff and ancient tales lmfao. Anyways I thought it was p good aside from that. Animation here is sexy as well, literally Chinese ufotable, hell maybe better. Xuan with that super sayian and 2nd entrance as well was heat (literally).

Also these subs too damn fast.
Aug 13, 2021 9:25 PM
Jul 2021
azratun002 said:
mrbokchoi said:

I'm not familiar with Chinese culture tbh. I didn't even know these things existed in their culture so I thought... ;3

Its all cool. There are lots of culture in the world that I"m not aware of myself.
May 1, 2022 1:21 AM

Mar 2010
Pretty boring start but its nice we got some action in the end. Guess the fire guy is some monster too.
Jan 28, 2023 8:21 AM
Aug 2022
I heard about it when it was released, but save it for later for more episode release but now I am here after 3 years.

Man, it's animation is so artistic and full of beautiful aesthetic.
And, not only that, the story really piqued my interest.
It's super interesting.
Nov 18, 2023 10:17 PM
Nov 2023
Why was this animated? Why did the powder look like a high school student made it in Adobe After Effects
Jan 2, 11:31 AM

Feb 2018
Damn the Fire Aspect dude went hard on these 2 bird-like humans ;p
Jan 10, 1:10 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
This is how you f*cking do it.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 30, 2:28 AM

Nov 2012
the action and scenic stuff was undoubtedly good, but I wasn't really feeling the humour, the lore has potential I guess...just not sure how invested I am yet
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Apr 6, 5:30 AM
Jun 2011
pretty slow, not a fan of the animations (hard to tell whats going on). The ending is where it got good, felt more invested in the action with a little background on the characters, and it left me wanting more.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wu Shan Wu Xing Episode 3 Discussion

Xealias - Aug 9, 2020

26 by JVskunkape »»
Jan 30, 11:06 PM

Poll: » Wu Shan Wu Xing Episode 2 Discussion

Xealias - Aug 2, 2020

17 by JVskunkape »»
Jan 30, 8:52 PM

» This Anime is so underrated.

Cursed-World - Jul 25, 2023

10 by Carmelodube »»
Dec 24, 2023 6:32 AM

» New PV

ExcelDog - Apr 13, 2023

1 by Alek0 »»
Apr 15, 2023 5:17 AM

» Anime fight like this

Fake_World - May 26, 2022

6 by mikeyice404 »»
Mar 16, 2023 4:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.