Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 22, 2020 6:16 PM
Jul 2018
I just want to know why. Please be kind, cuz I'm not trying to debate... just feel free to give exemples so i could check it out and understand your point.
removed-userAug 26, 2020 11:15 AM
Jul 22, 2020 6:19 PM

Jan 2009
err who said that? lol maybe for fangirls that is true because a lot of boy to boy romance stories are in manga form and not anime
Jul 22, 2020 6:20 PM

Oct 2019
Sometimes like in the case of Berserk the anime adaptation is just not very good, but in the case of something like One Piece where both the anime and manga are good, the manga would win it for little things like lack of filler or replaying attack animations to increase run time.
Hi :)
Jul 22, 2020 6:40 PM
Jul 2018
MALers are too lazy to read anything, even manga. smileyface.png
Jul 22, 2020 6:48 PM

Aug 2012
Kiss From The Rose Princess one of my fav mangas has no anime same with VagaBond.

I prefer manga. It's just anime easily the better option to consume.
Jul 22, 2020 6:53 PM
Jul 2018
i feel like, even if there's a link between manga and anime, they're so different. UNtil now i was mostly watching anime, but i guess I'll try your recommandations @Order-Sol @sasukerr14 thanks
Jul 22, 2020 7:26 PM

Mar 2010
Well its usually faster to read the manga then watch the anime.
Jul 22, 2020 7:27 PM

Feb 2018
Quite a few reasons, actually. I wrote a thread sorta detailing it a while back as well:

- While I feel anime can carry an action/music scene with better fluidity than manga can, it brings about lot of restrictions. It is true that manga isn't as fluid due to panel limitation for a detailed action choreography and there's lack of sound, but, manga allows for more freedom of your own imagination on how certain plot elements move about. ie., I can imagine ideal VA's, choreography, and choose music from my playlist on youtube to fit certain scenes. But when I watch an anime, I get iffy because I imagine how the scenario would've played out which was better/my ideal

-Manga tend to "flow" at a much more even time. Time feels more substantial because there is no indication of it. ie. an inner monologue during a fight or standoff has no indication of time whereas in an anime it feels like the characters are just staring at each other for 3 minutes.

-It is easier to go back and forth various pages to to jog up my memory than to go back a few min/switch eps. For ie.,a character I haven't seen for a while finally showed up again, so I flip back 50 pg or so to remember what they last did plotwise.

-Minimal filtration of ideas (compared to anime anyways) due to staff/censorship makes manga much more fun and engaging. I find a pattern even in other media where the more directors there are, the more messy and incohesive the plot becomes. Manga on the other hand feels more intimate due to minimal interference, thus is more entertaining to me. There are exceptions on both sides,but it is still a very accurate rule of thumb for personal enjoyment

-Biggest reason: Manga is much more mainstream in JP than anime. The pool of audience to appeal to for manga is thus a lot larger and diverse, which coincides with more diverse manga (art and plot wise). Anime has a more niche audience, thus they rely on servicing the most profitable fans consistently rather than reaching more diverse smaller audience. I doubt my gekiga manga would ever see the light of day in the anime world.

tl;dr-preference of ideal over stated-choreography, monologue through panelling flows better, easier to go back and forth to rejog memory, less staff interference and censorship, more diverse plot and art in general
foxsurpriseJul 22, 2020 7:34 PM
Jul 22, 2020 7:51 PM

Dec 2009
Aside from bad, mediocre or unfaithful anime adaptions from manga,
The quality of manga over anime is that there's more variety of story, along with more josei and seinen; stories targeted to an older audience over teenagers, although some shounen and shoujo's writing and themes, concepts or plots can be mature or complex with a solid very well thought out story.

Unfortunately there aren't many mature writings of solid story in comparison to most generic anime, or rather, even though manga has a lot of the generic stories as well, because there is more manga than anime and because most of them don't get adapted, there are more distinct and unique stories in manga.
Jul 23, 2020 1:25 AM
Jun 2020
*It's a never ending war

Then why in hell you keep adding fuel to it?
Jul 23, 2020 1:29 AM
Jul 2018
Stardew said:
I have the one piece manga... so you think I'd better read it than watch the anime :') ???
Jul 23, 2020 1:36 AM
Jun 2020
Rose_Player said:
Stardew said:
I have the one piece manga... so you think I'd better read it than watch the anime :') ???
One Piece should SPECIFICALLY be read.

While sometimes the anime surpasses its source material the rest of is one-big-stinker.
Jul 23, 2020 1:42 AM

Mar 2010
Rose_Player said:
Stardew said:

If you have time, one piece anime is still a valid option and is still fun to watch up to a certain point. Manga is still always the best option in time and pacing.
Jul 23, 2020 1:46 AM
Jul 2018
wape said:
*It's a never ending war

Then why in hell you keep adding fuel to it?
Sorry, I hope I'm not :/ just wanted to hear people thoughts about this cause after watching an anime, people often recommend the manga, but I never understood what was the BIG difference between an anime and a manga of the same franchise for the manga to be better. Then I hope i could enjoy manga as well
Jul 23, 2020 1:58 AM
Jul 2018
foxsurprise said:
Quite a few reasons, actually. I wrote a thread sorta detailing it a while back as well:

- While I feel anime can carry an action/music scene with better fluidity than manga can, it brings about lot of restrictions. It is true that manga isn't as fluid due to panel limitation for a detailed action choreography and there's lack of sound, but, manga allows for more freedom of your own imagination on how certain plot elements move about. ie., I can imagine ideal VA's, choreography, and choose music from my playlist on youtube to fit certain scenes. But when I watch an anime, I get iffy because I imagine how the scenario would've played out which was better/my ideal

-Manga tend to "flow" at a much more even time. Time feels more substantial because there is no indication of it. ie. an inner monologue during a fight or standoff has no indication of time whereas in an anime it feels like the characters are just staring at each other for 3 minutes.

-It is easier to go back and forth various pages to to jog up my memory than to go back a few min/switch eps. For ie.,a character I haven't seen for a while finally showed up again, so I flip back 50 pg or so to remember what they last did plotwise.

-Minimal filtration of ideas (compared to anime anyways) due to staff/censorship makes manga much more fun and engaging. I find a pattern even in other media where the more directors there are, the more messy and incohesive the plot becomes. Manga on the other hand feels more intimate due to minimal interference, thus is more entertaining to me. There are exceptions on both sides,but it is still a very accurate rule of thumb for personal enjoyment

-Biggest reason: Manga is much more mainstream in JP than anime. The pool of audience to appeal to for manga is thus a lot larger and diverse, which coincides with more diverse manga (art and plot wise). Anime has a more niche audience, thus they rely on servicing the most profitable fans consistently rather than reaching more diverse smaller audience. I doubt my gekiga manga would ever see the light of day in the anime world.

tl;dr-preference of ideal over stated-choreography, monologue through panelling flows better, easier to go back and forth to rejog memory, less staff interference and censorship, more diverse plot and art in general
thanks a lot for helping the newbie that I am to understand this ^^ very cool, i guess i have to read more manga to see it myself
Jul 25, 2020 3:08 AM

Mar 2019
I love manga because it's not as big a commitment as anime. If I want to watch an anime, I have to sit still for an entire twenty minutes, and repeat that up to hundreds of times- and my monkey brain can't handle that all the time. Manga, you can just sit down and pick up wherever you want, read at your own pace (which could be faster or slower than the anime). For me, I just find it to be a better experience. Plus, there's sooooo much manga that gets looked over because it lacks an anime adaptation, and it's fun to discover hidden gems.

Oh- and endings. So many anime are unfinished! At least with manga, there's usually a satisfactory ending.
Jul 25, 2020 6:54 AM

Aug 2019
I don't think one is better than the other in general. The Manga is just often better because the medium was chosen for a certain story (not a novel, not a movie etc.) so there is thought behind how something is supposed to be portrayed. Adapting that into another medium can take away from the original idea and mood.
私だけが自分の夢を見ているのだ
Jul 25, 2020 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
whylime said:
I love manga because it's not as big a commitment as anime. If I want to watch an anime, I have to sit still for an entire twenty minutes, and repeat that up to hundreds of times- and my monkey brain can't handle that all the time. Manga, you can just sit down and pick up wherever you want, read at your own pace (which could be faster or slower than the anime). For me, I just find it to be a better experience. Plus, there's sooooo much manga that gets looked over because it lacks an anime adaptation, and it's fun to discover hidden gems.

Oh- and endings. So many anime are unfinished! At least with manga, there's usually a satisfactory ending.

thanks for sharing your opinion, it's understandable ^^ ... almost makes me wanna read manga instead
Jul 25, 2020 1:48 PM

Aug 2018
My reasons:

1) Speed: I'm primarily a story whore, not an animation or sakuga whore; I see manga and anime as story-telling devices first and foremost, anime adds too much fat that I don't care about and it takes longer to watch the same amount of story than just reading it.

2) Conclusiveness: something that has become a much bigger issue lately with the "season" structure, 12 episodes and goodbye; you're left wondering what happens afterwards and if you go read the source material you're left wondering why did you even bother watching the anime, it sucks. This still happened back in the day, Slam Dunk with over 100 episodes still didn't have its last arc animated, Saint Seiya took like 10 years to have the Hades arc made into an OVA, other manga only got some one-off OVAs and that's it. Manga ends, sometimes with a bang, sometimes with a dud, but it ends.

3) Canonicity: I always consider the "real story" to be the original source, it's what the author wanted to write and it's what becomes the canon, when you go read the manga or light novel, it's sometimes crazy to see what was changed, added or even cut out for the anime; if you want to discuss a particular work, it's good to know what is actually canon so not to argue about moot points. This ties to the next point...

4) Filler: Manga has its own concept of filler, basically chapters that are not very conducive to the overall plot or that have a ton of flashbacks (copy-pasted panels from older chapters) and feel like they're being used to gain some time, but it's never as bad as full "original" episodes or full arcs worth of content that is ultimately useless, content that will never be referenced again in the anime since it's a nightmare to tie the original source with the filler. Pure waste of time.

5) Not waiting: If you read a current manga you'll need to wait for each new chapter (and scanlation probably) to come out, that's true but even then, it doesn't compare to the years you have to wait until the material gets adapted into anime, sometimes it's funny when you find people discussing a plot point in an anime that you read 3 or 4 years earlier in the manga.

6) Variety: There's much more original manga than original anime and anime adaptations, there's just so much content out there to read, it's crazy, some that will never be adapted, or adapted properly.

While I'm not a sakuga whore, I am a stats whore, so since joining MAL I've pushed myself into watching anime again to get those numbers up, but for many years I was pretty much a manga exclusive guy, all the reasons stated above, plus no need to download huge file-size episodes with shitty internet or search shady websites where to watch online, found one good manga hosting site (which is RIP now) and I was living the life.
Jul 25, 2020 2:18 PM
Jul 2018
Kinda a dumb question in my opinion. It all really comes down to personal preference. Even though most people would say that shows like One Piece are better experienced in manga form (and i would 100% agree with that) if you dont enjoy reading manga then dont read manga.
Jul 25, 2020 2:28 PM
Jun 2020
Manga can do a lot more experimental or controversial things than anime due to cost of production.

It gets me excited!
Jul 31, 2020 4:34 PM

Feb 2010
foxsurprise said:

In my opinion books are better for making you imagine something. I rarely thing about sounds/music or "images" in between panels. On the other hand when I read books I can even hear something like heartbeat.
Jul 31, 2020 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
Most manga look a lot better than a lot of anime out there, and I usually like taking my time enjoying the art (which is easier because it's a still image rather than animation) so I usually choose the manga instead of the anime.
Aug 1, 2020 11:50 AM

Apr 2017
I like that there's a lot of freedom for the imagination when it comes to reading. While manga still has the art obviously, I think it's fun to imagine the characters in the panels moving and how the tone of their words would sound like when they talk. In anime, that's all just given to you so you don't have to imagine. I also like that I can examine all the details in the art without being pushed along like I would in anime.
Aug 1, 2020 2:23 PM

Jun 2012
Works need to be looked at individually because it's not always a rule that the manga is better. I've seen some anime that expand on what was in the manga and improve the story. There are also a lot of anime that are poorly directed, rushed messes etc.

Also, reading a manga and watching the anime is a fundamentally different experience. So even if there is "less" in the anime adapatation, that doesn't mean the anime is invalid.

Generally I will both read the manga and watch the anime of something I like. They each have their own merits.

wape said:
Manga can do a lot more experimental or controversial things than anime due to cost of production.

It gets me excited!

This is also true. There is a lot of weird out there stuff in manga that will probably never be made into an anime.
Shoot first, think never.
Aug 2, 2020 10:47 PM

Mar 2013
It's faster to read a manga than to watch an anime. And I can read manga before bed to relax and unwind, vs anime makes my mind feel too active. Wouldn't say that makes manga better though. Different mediums for different occasions is all.
Aug 4, 2020 12:05 AM

Feb 2017
The only aspects that make manga can be considered generally better than anime are its freedom and its convenience. I see plenty of art and experimental shits, or even the most fucked up things more often in manga than in anime. By convenience, it's very personal, but I can read manga almost anywhere as long as it's at a right time. I sometimes read manga at breaks while in school, and not always some light things but can be a pretty daring one, like serious and strong sexual stuff like Ayako. And of course I won't dare to do this kind of thing with anime.
Aug 4, 2020 12:39 AM

Dec 2018
Because not many people read manga anyway, so it hyperbolically demonstrates your appreciation for artistry and bespoke penchants. Anime on the other hand are watched by far too many. It loses the sense of being special.

You may think I'm trying to troll/roast here, but I'm honestly speaking for a lot of people on this site rn.
. . .
Aug 4, 2020 3:20 AM
Jan 2015
IbarakiDouji said:
MALers are too lazy to read anything, even manga. smileyface.png

well well, i found something from which i am offended and 100 percent agree with.
Aug 12, 2020 7:39 AM

Feb 2019
I can't even compare it. Reading and watching something is completely different experiences even if it is anime, drama, reality show or manga, manhwa, books..
Aug 12, 2020 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
A lot of the popular shounen series made WAY more sense to me when I started reading chunks of the manga. You can tear through Dragon Ball Z in a few hours rather than the 40+ hours it'd take to watch the animated adaptation. It also bothers me that most "adaptations" are frame by frame remakes in the Japanese animation sphere. Why make something...again?

A long time ago, anime convinced me that really great art almost always comes out of an individual vision. Obviously there will always be constraints in one way or another, but having near complete control over the process certainly helps.

There's also just too much manga out there. It's easy to poke around and find all kinds of stuff to read through. I like there being all kinds of random things out there in the ether. Sometimes anime feels very stagnant to me so it's nice having so many options. Not to mention the manga that don't even get fan translated despite winning awards (looking at Gaku).

Finally, there's just a lot of stuff that probably won't ever get an adaptation and I'd rather just read it. Freesia, Akumetsu, Billy Bat (and most of Urasawa), etc aren't getting adapted any time soon.
Aug 12, 2020 1:00 PM
Jul 2020
It's incredibly more faster to get through a story via reading manga. Besides, anime adaptations are not always accurate so reading manga is so more efficient for me.
Aug 15, 2020 7:40 PM

Nov 2019
The art, more beautiful and stunning than anime. And the feels, it’s different. But, i would like to see the anime adaptation too
𝒷𝓁𝓊𝑒, 𝓌𝒽𝒾𝓉𝑒, 𝑜𝓇 𝓈𝓊𝓃𝓈𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑒 ?
Aug 15, 2020 8:16 PM

Dec 2011
For me, it's the emotions behind how personal it is. You get to piece together the story you want played in your head. The endings are typically better as well, they actually have one whereas how easy it is for anime to cut off. A lot of great manga will never be adapted or received unsatisfactory adaptations so that's already a big incentive.
Aug 15, 2020 9:33 PM

Nov 2008
Mmm...yes, there is a lot to unpack here.

I will just do a pros list for both:

Manga Pros:

Better artwork (although not ALWAYS)

Conclusive ending

My Pace (you can read as fast or as slow as you like)

Makes story easier to remember (for me)

Stronger character writing

Anime Pros

IT MOVES YO

MUSIC

VOICE ACTING

OP AND ED SONGS!!

PRETTY COLORS!

Fun to watch with friends!! Have you tried reading manga with friends? It doesn't work as well. :'D

Tones down the gratuitous stuff some may find uncomfortable lol Of course that is a CON for some. xD

Aug 18, 2020 10:28 AM

Mar 2020
In my case, I just like reading manga more than watching anime.

“In my next life, I want to be me, and meet you again"

Aug 22, 2020 12:34 AM

Dec 2012
Depends on how into the story you are. An anime that adapts a manga or novel, more often than not, does not finish adapting the story and can leave you hanging. So reading the manga or the novel (or whatever else the source is) can be a better option...sometimes the only option to get the answers you seek.

Ideally though, anime is the way I would prefer to experience the story as black and white static panels are far inferior to colorful moving pictures, complete with voice acting, music and sound effects and it's more effective at bringing it to life than my imagination.
KruszerAug 22, 2020 12:42 AM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 22, 2020 4:13 AM

Dec 2016
in the time it takes to watch one anime episode, you can read a whole lot of manga. also manga has a lot which gets lost in adaptation: more experimental art styles, good pacing (most of the time), gore/sexual material which most animes can't broadcast, etc. also actual endings.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 26, 2020 9:57 AM

Jul 2019
Personally it'd probably be the mood and reading/watching speed

80% of the time I'm much more inclined to read a manga than to watch an anime
I know there's a ton of fantastic anime that I have yet to see but I just feel the amount of commitment I tell myself to put in to watch that one anime gem is just not as worth it as to just read a fantastic manga
Plus when I'm reading I go at my own pace and can stop at breathtaking moments whenever and however long I want to.

𝘚𝘰, 𝘸𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘭𝘴 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘦 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘨
Aug 28, 2020 2:50 PM

Apr 2020
You can consume manga faster than anime, you can go at your own pace, sometimes the manga is beautifully drawn that its better than anime, and sometimess anime skip a lot of the source material.
Aug 28, 2020 3:49 PM

Jun 2017
I'm getting lately into manga because you can read faster, it brings something new to it having to imagine their voices and in case of monochrome manga, coloring in my head as I read has turned into something fun to do.
Aug 28, 2020 5:33 PM

Feb 2019
I love staring at every panel's art. Makes it hard to get through them quickly tho lol. To LOVE-Ru Darkness colored version manga art is top stuff hahah
Aug 29, 2020 12:09 PM

Sep 2015
It takes more mental effort for me to start watching anime. Reading manga tends to be less time consuming (in a sense), at least in the case of manga series that were adapted into anime shows. So I prefer it.

Of course, things like animation, colors, voice acting and music are a big plus, even if the art in manga tends to be more detailed and consistent, for obvious reasons.
can dis sig fit
Sep 12, 2020 4:43 PM

Jul 2014
This is my personal opinion:

If I've seen the Anime, I don't bother reading the Manga if it's available unless, the Manga offers much more content beyond from where the Anime ended.

Manga in my opinion is a very personalised experience. You can imagine the colours, voices, etc.
Though, if you've seen the Anime before reading the Manga, everything from that "adaptation" is stained in your head. It's someone else's vision.
When you're reading the Manga solely, you can glance at the panel and it plays out in your own head as you read kind of thing. Just like an Anime. That's the beauty of it.
Sep 12, 2020 6:14 PM

Sep 2017
Who even said that
خ
Sep 12, 2020 7:26 PM

May 2015
Because I think so. And to find out why I think so, you need to ask psychoanalysts and neuropsychologists, not me.

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

17 by Oofmastre9000 »»
3 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
5 hours ago

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5931 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 16, 8:26 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

7 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 16, 8:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.