Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 15, 2020 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, the cartoony style of some of the scenes this episode took me by surprise. Those weird glasses kinda reminds me of Kamina from Gurren Lagann.

Quite an unique episode if you ask me. We got more look into the technology and world fiction of the show. I'm really curious to see how advanced technology is in this anime but with the robotics they've shown so far, there's lot more potential. Natsume's little rage moments were rather amusing.
Jul 15, 2020 8:06 AM
Oct 2016
Honestly have so many questions after that episode. Holy hell my eyes were wide almost the whole time. Once they got into this whole thing of a corporation and bugs and avatars and all that stuff I got sent spinning. Took a minute to get my bearings back. But it did answer a few things from the premiere that interested me. Like what Kaburagi was doing with that what we now know is a chip last episode, that makes sense now. How he got so good at fighting that makes sense too. Used to be a top ranker on those leaderboards, which is another crazy thing, but that made him super good at fighting the Gadoll. This definitely now isn't an Attack on Titan ripoff like lots of people were dumbly saying it was.

Kaburagi backstory got me really sad too. Seeing his old crew and how they discussed that limit breaker, going beyond just an avatar experience and making it real. Dangerous way to go about doing that, as we saw with Mikey it got too exhilarating. This higher up corporation raises a lot of questions. What's their motive and what are they doing with this big Deca Dence dome and having these spies sent in to take care of the bugs. It was a sweet end to this episode with Natsume effectively saving Kaburagi from just dying out of guilt. He can do right by her since he couldn't before. Still a bunch to explain but I'm excited to see where it goes. Show still looks amazing in the battles, and Kaburagi with Natsume makes me smile.
Jul 15, 2020 8:11 AM

Jun 2019
The whole avatar thing had me confused and I almost lost interest, but the episode wrapped it all together very well.

Didn’t feel the AoT vibes as much as people warned (no where near as much as Kabaneri had). Definitely gonna continue to keep my eye on this one and maybe even watch it during its midnight releases.
Jul 15, 2020 8:13 AM

Apr 2016
Yeah, kinda as i thought already from the ending of the last week's episode. I ain't signed up for this.

Dropped ... will not even bother with the next week's episode for them to explain this shit.
Jul 15, 2020 8:21 AM
Feb 2015
I was really excited for this anime, but the avatar thing kind of killed it for me. I'm gonna keep watching but I don't think I'll enjoy it as much as I thought I would of after seeing the first episode.
Jul 15, 2020 8:22 AM

Oct 2019
If anyone actually understands what just happened please fill me in lmao. I feel like I just watched a completely different show and I have no idea what's going on.
Jul 15, 2020 8:22 AM

Feb 2020
All right, another week and one more episode of Deca-Dence...
A really crazy and wild episode by the way, but absolutely better than the previous one, with answers to our previous questions and of course, with a better explain of the background of some characters and of the universe in the series...
Altought It doesn´t seem to be a AoT like people said, at least this second one keeps me interested.
Waiting for next week...
Jul 15, 2020 8:31 AM
Sep 2016
Ok, I didn't expect that in the slightest. In some weird way, I actually think this makes the show 10x interesting. The world has a lot more mystery to it, the whole bug thing with Natsume is interesting and I want to see who's an alien controlling an avatar or whatnot because there may be more aliens passing off as humans like Kabu.

It really do be like that though.

Jul 15, 2020 8:37 AM
Dec 2018
I. Am. So. Confused.
Jul 15, 2020 8:38 AM

Jan 2014
This was certainly different honestly, but I liked it. Being different can be good, and it did bring interest. Curious to see how our MC's training goes next week.
Jul 15, 2020 8:40 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
NenharmaTheGreat said:
I was really excited for this anime, but the avatar thing kind of killed it for me. I'm gonna keep watching but I don't think I'll enjoy it as much as I thought I would of after seeing the first episode.

I feel the same way. I loved the world building in the first episode and this cheezy avatar shit background with cartoony animation just was a massive blow to my enjoyment of it. A shame that things take a turn in this direction. Why do creators always think that making a mysterious story with a big twist is better? Sometimes a straight story, well executed and with solid voice acting is just as good if not better.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 15, 2020 8:41 AM

Dec 2017
So, uh, this is the kind of series-reshaping twist that most shows take until around the penultimate chapters to get to, and this show just casually dropped it in episode TWO.

Guys, I think I might love this show.
Jul 15, 2020 8:43 AM

Jan 2009
plot twist on second episode eh so its all just a video game like The Matrix with risk of real death and humans in this world are all just AI or NPC that develops bugs in some cases then
Jul 15, 2020 8:44 AM

Jul 2019
Well i thought this anime wanted to be pretty ambitious last episode, but man with this episode that ambition just multiplied by a milion. Will the plot twist make people turn some heads? 100%. Will some people love the twist? I guess, because i kinda did, im very interested where this will go
Jul 15, 2020 8:45 AM
Apr 2018
A good payoff episode seems like the robot found at the beginning was one of those players.
I'm interested in how the rest of the world will unfold it's unfortunate that this wasn't what some people were looking for. but personally, my interest has gone up a lot.
Jul 15, 2020 8:47 AM

Feb 2019
Dropping at the same time as Re:Zero is rough for this one.

That was a pretty big shift with Deca-Dence essentially being a game. I was confused for like half the episode before putting the pieces together with the gears and tankers. This series has a lot of potential. I just hope the narrative stays on track and we get a cohesive story.

Natsume is really cute.
Jul 15, 2020 8:51 AM

Jul 2014
Wait what? So basically they managed to program that world, basically a full dive VR and that's how they have to solve the bugs? I find that kinda funny, I mean those guys made AGI and can't make an AI to handle bugs, seems legit.

Also this kinda plot twist is what I totally didn't expect, I feel like it went down in my own rating/expectations but maybe it'll turn out to be amazing.
Jul 15, 2020 8:53 AM

Jul 2019
Farabeuf said:
NenharmaTheGreat said:

I feel the same way. I loved the world building in the first episode and this cheezy avatar shit background with cartoony animation just was a massive blow to my enjoyment of it. A shame that things take a turn in this direction. Why do creators always think that making a mysterious story with a big twist is better? Sometimes a straight story, well executed and with solid voice acting is just as good if not better.
I agree and disagree, the fact that people called this an aot rip off does show that sometimes people need to do diferent things to gain more people to watch it even it makes other people stop watching it too, high risk high reward ya know. Is it always better? Obviusly not. cough franxx cough. But at least here they made it in episode 2 and not episode 18 or something, and it is clearly what they wanted the show to be. I personaly am a person who doesnt really care about premises but more about overall execution, which honestly this anime excells at. Do i critize you to not like this twist? Certainly not, do as you please, the creators also need to understand that this would turn some heads, again its gamble.
Jul 15, 2020 8:54 AM
May 2019
Stupid as hell. I'll still watch it, and I hope that other episodes will be better, but this one was meh. The first episode was pretty goofy, but the avatar thing is just stupid. I wish the rest of the anime would focus less on this kind of stuff, but as off now the avatar thing seems like a pretty important part of the story.
Jul 15, 2020 8:57 AM

Jan 2018
Bruh, I didn't expect Kaburagi's flashback seems a lil bit cartoonish. It even advertised Deca-Dence like a RPG. Oh well, so the Kaburagi in human form was an avatar controlled by a non-human, if I'm correct. Paying the price due to that limit release. So, Dio here is like an admin owned by the company.

Looks like a new dystopia has been introduced in this Deca-Dence. This worldbuilding is truly amazing. Cannot wait for the next episode.
Jul 15, 2020 9:05 AM

Jan 2012
such a interesting and unqiue plot twist

Jul 15, 2020 9:05 AM

Sep 2016
I'm really conflicted about this. On the one hand, I really, really, REALLY don't give a single fuck about the whole alien corporate nonsense.

On the other hand, I really like Natsume and Kaburagi, and this twist made their relationship more interesting. So, I don't know, it kinda leave a sour taste in my mouth, but I'm still interested to see it through to the end.
Jul 15, 2020 9:09 AM
Jul 2018
They just changed the whole theme which made this episode pretty confusing and I can't really say i liked this theme though I am still interested to see where it goes

Dec 2018
Wasn’t expecting that plot twist, but I dig where the direction of the series is going. I’m a little confused on the whole robot thing but hopefully we’ll find more details soon.

May 2015
That has to be the most far-fetched story development I've ever seen.
Jul 15, 2020 9:13 AM

Nov 2012
WITA_ said:
I. Am. So. Confused.

So. Am. I.

But I'm in! The world they're creating and the difference in classes is interesting. The avatar thing has me messed up, but I figure they'll explain it down it the line.
Jul 15, 2020 9:13 AM

Aug 2013
This sure took a weird turn and I have a mixed feeling about this. But I'll still continue to watch this to see where it will go.

Jul 15, 2020 9:14 AM

Mar 2015
This is quite a change from what I expected!
I am happy with how it is up to now, refreshing.
Jul 15, 2020 9:16 AM

Mar 2015
Nainu_ said:
Bruh, I didn't expect Kaburagi's flashback seems a lil bit cartoonish. It even advertised Deca-Dence like a RPG. Oh well, so the Kaburagi in human form was an avatar controlled by a non-human, if I'm correct. Paying the price due to that limit release. So, Dio here is like an admin owned by the company.

Looks like a new dystopia has been introduced in this Deca-Dence. This worldbuilding is truly amazing. Cannot wait for the next episode.

He is not the admin, probably just lower management or something from what it seeems
Jul 15, 2020 9:17 AM

Jan 2010
Wait what? So basically they managed to program that world, basically a full dive VR and that's how they have to solve the bugs? I find that kinda funny, I mean those guys made AGI and can't make an AI to handle bugs, seems legit.

no, it says in the "commercial" for the game that it's not a virtual world. But for whatever reason, this alien race decided to use it as a VR game for them to play in.

The thing with the bugs is still confusing though.
Jul 15, 2020 9:24 AM

Jul 2017
Wow that was a rather....interesting scenario?? Those cartoon things lol.

At least it explains Kaburagi's reasonings for being all suspicious last ep. Seems like he's gonna end up having to get rid of FeMC although I expect the show is gonna make them pair up to rebel against the administrators or smth

OP is pretty good though ngl
Jul 15, 2020 9:25 AM

Oct 2017
Lost most of my interest I had in this show the moment I saw cartoonish artstyle and this world actually being a vr world made me lost any interest I had left for this show. Proly gonna drop after next epi.
Jul 15, 2020 9:29 AM
Apr 2019
KaiZenKDP said:
If anyone actually understands what just happened please fill me in lmao. I feel like I just watched a completely different show and I have no idea what's going on.

Okay, so what i understood was that.The world with Gadoll etc is kinda like earth world(with existing or deposited humans) and the system is essentially an alien spieces with enough technology to create essentially real-life characters to interact with the world for their existence(the need for oxytone).The bugs i guess are the monitored humans/aliens who have detered from the intended plan of the system and have chips implanted in them to keep check.Our female Mc has been pronounced dead but actually survived and is a bug as she is not monitored by the system.Our male mc and his race are essential advanced AI robots i guess that arebeing used by the system
This is what i understood but take it with a bucket of salt as i could be totally wrong.
Jul 15, 2020 9:34 AM

Sep 2014
The show just got more interesting and psychological.
Jul 15, 2020 9:36 AM
Aug 2018
I actually wanted it to be a full blown post-apocalyptic world. I'm a sucker for dystopia and post-apocalyptic stories so this was pretty disappointing. Looks like a drop. I'll stick around for the next ep though.
Jul 15, 2020 9:36 AM

Dec 2015
So weird. To have a twist in episode 2 already. But tbh I find this makes the show a bit more interesting. (Though I would have hoped for some normal calm development withou twists.) It is better than late-twists like in Franxx.

Yeah the glasses reminded me of Gurren Lagann as well. Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huginn_and_Muninn

I guess the humans on the fortress really are the last surviving humans on earth. VRMMORPG on a different level. :D Not the humans playing some games and interacting with fantasy races or human NPCs ... but those small guys (that probably are AI robots itself?) play a game where they also interact with the real humans. On real earth.

I now wonder about the ship and the company. I guess we get more background on that as well - but much later and slower.

Maybe the humans actually created that company to have those small guys managing the gears so they could have them fighting to survive.

I don't know. But I want to know more for now. :D
Jul 15, 2020 9:51 AM

Mar 2018
Some seem to think this is a virtual world which they explained in the beginning that it wasn't.

I guess the humans made the A.I do the job of fighting the gadolls for them by making them see it as entertainment, and if they don't do well they get replaced. Meanwhile the humans assist them in safety. Would certainly be helpful since the population is so small. The bugs are troublemakers or something and the chips are there to keep them and others in check.

That or the A.I/aliens came from space and created Deca-dence for the last remaining humans and chose to fight against the gadolls for entertainment. They then control the humans via a chip and use them for support. I think this one makes more sense.

I'm happy that they decided to make the story more original but it was a pretty bold move to make it like this. Very interesting direction to take but confusing if you don't pay attention.
SkarvalinJul 15, 2020 1:11 PM
Jul 15, 2020 9:52 AM
Apr 2016
I get pretty much everything except one thing; Why was Kaburagi's alien avatar in "present" shown to have 175 years remainin (16:09) when in the next scene (17:21) his operation limit is near the end?

Feb 2019
Welp. Where do I even start? It begins with a big info dump just straight up explaining what you would have thought would be a big twist. This whole thing is an MMORPG for robots, which they almost desperately insist is totally different from an MMORPG for humans because…. ????????? The humans are all NPCs controlled by the system. It's like they watched Dendrogram and said "Yeah, man, but what if like, computers were the players, and people were controlled by computers? -takes long toke- And they're blue!" So then we get sucked into a flashback and montage following some of the robot players, who are drawn and animated as if they were goofy MMORPG things. Where is all this leading? Gruff Whose-His-Face is one of a suicidal robot playing the game, and something about Whose-Her-Face decides that he wants to keep living after all. This writed By Monkeys on Typewriters?

What the episode didn't have this week was any of the animation or action it did last week. The ten thousand twists per second in the story did steal focus a bit, granted. I'm not even sure that the The Matrix twist is all that bad of one. Delivering it like this was definitely hamhanded though, and they're not doing the screeching teenage moron any favors either by her continuing to be a blithering idiot. It's just… a lot to take in, but the season's otherwise pretty crap, so I guess this is a rollercoaster that we're stuck on.
May 2020
So what's up with this whole avatar thing?? It seemed in the first episode that the setting was some dystopian world where humans were confined to live within a movable fortress, and it was the responsibility of a select few to eliminate the monsters that threatened mankind. Now we get a whole new premise in episode 2 where it seems that humans are controlled through "chips" by some small, weird game avatars or whatever. And the entire thing seems to be a game of some sort where these tiny avatars are ranked and the whole fortress is the scheme of some corporation. Hopefully they do a lot more to explain this whacky plot because I know I'm not alone when I say that I am very confused.
Jul 15, 2020 9:55 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Wait, hold up! What the flying fudge did I just go through right now? Where's my post-apocalyptic world (like God Eater) story gone off to?

Strange and a very unfitting direction this episode, if you ask me. Episode 1 was promising a solid post-apocalyptic story but I've next to no clue where this will be going now. It's hard to think that future episodes will turn the tides around but I'll be hoping so nonetheless.

Op and ED, both song-wise and visually, were pretty darn good though.

@NenharmaTheGreat @Farabeuf Exactly my thoughts.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 15, 2020 9:56 AM

Jan 2008
I guess that explains the HUD from the previous episode when it went to the guys PoV. Can't say I'm a fan of where this show headed but it's at least not enough to immediately drop the show for me.
Jul 15, 2020 10:00 AM

Aug 2019
It's doing just enough to keep me interested at the moment. Another 3/5 episode.

It's a good thing the Natsume's quite an interesting character, because the rest of the series hasn't been great so far.
Jul 15, 2020 10:00 AM

Dec 2010
JanPri said:
I get pretty much everything except one thing; Why was Kaburagi's alien avatar in "present" shown to have 175 years remainin (16:09) when in the next scene (17:21) his operation limit is near the end?

He'll be scrapped in 175 years, but he and his robot friends need to replenish their energy every so often to keep operating. He didn't do so since he wanted to die(?) due to what happened with Mikey, though he changed his mind in the end thanks to Natsume.
Jul 15, 2020 10:05 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Did not expect an development that great, so the Deca-dence is a game but a game for the aliens and the human are NPC, this is very original I don't think i've seen something like this.
And Natsume being a bug is even more interesting, the world building is absolutey great wow.
Jul 15, 2020 10:12 AM

Jan 2016
It got quite confusing at the start but later all of the misunderstandings cleared up,
let's see how this anime will surprise us next week!
Jul 15, 2020 10:16 AM

Mar 2018
WTH was that trash? This series seemed so good last week and now they killed it in a couple of minutes. Not sure if I should just drop it.
Jul 15, 2020 10:22 AM
Sep 2016
deg said:
plot twist on second episode eh so its all just a video game like The Matrix with risk of real death and humans in this world are all just AI or NPC that develops bugs in some cases then

I believe that you have it half right, it's the opposite. This is a world ruled by a virtual corporation run by AI which uses the physical real world as their "Virtual Reality" to fuck around in. SO humans are practically cattle or animals with in a Zoo called deca-dence. Either kept alive due to them being regarded as "endangered animals". Now from what I can gather with these two episodes, these virtual beings are collecting Gadoll's blood or bodily fluid using humans as the medium or vessel for this whole process. You can see that the gears and deca-dence itself is used to gather and store this mysterious bio fluid. MY guess is it is the energy source for the whole operation and the corporation.The color of the fluid and the energy packs the virtual beings are using to resupply is the same, so I assume that they are somewhat related. Now this seems like a parasitic relationship which most likely used to be a symbiotic reltionship between the humans and the virtual beings. Due to the lifespan of the virtual beings, they were capable of out living the humans to the point of enslavement of humanity.
Jul 15, 2020 10:23 AM

Aug 2013
Last week we have retards complaining that this show is AoT's ripoff, and this week we'll have dumbasses complaining that this is an SAO's ripoff.
Jul 15, 2020 10:23 AM
Aug 2009
Kind of reminded me of darling the franxx....
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

240 by DebiPS »»
Apr 15, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2020

78 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 9:34 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2020

123 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

126 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2020

112 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.