Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 15, 2020 1:43 AM
Feb 2019
This anime had a pretty good start but it started to get worse later on, pretty good beginning but had a mediocre middle.

Thorfinn is also quite the cringe, he's way too edgy to be an interesting MC, all he does is rage and fight, that's it, as a character though he's simply uninteresting for me, I won't say he's complete garbage but he's just uninteresting, his antics in raging got old pretty damn fast and I had to keep up with that crap for 20 episodes or something. I know this will change and that he will get his character development in the 2nd season or whatever but in this 1st season he simply didn't cut it for me.

He's also quite the hypocrite (actually, all of those damn characters are!), he wants revenge by killing the guy that murdered his father and instead of backstabbing the bastard he helps him in killing more innocent people so not only is he an uninteresting hypocrite main character, he's also an idiot, what could possibly go wrong here?

I also couldn't bond with any of those characters, they are just a bunch of ruthless thugs that kills innocent people, I couldn't feel sympathy for any of them, I actually wanted Thorkell (the axe guy) to kill them all (including Thorfinn), I also couldn't feel shit about the death of Askeladd, I wanted him dead, sure he's the most interesting character in this anime but I didn't like him and wanted that mofo dead and he's also quite the hypocrite himself, he feels bad about the things he went through as a kid and blames his father for everything and even fight him to protect his mother but then again, when he grew up he was doing the same exact shit his father was doing, killing innocents, am I supposed to feel sympathy for that fucker? I think not, I'm glad he's dead.

The OST was OK, nothing spectacular, it needed more melody.

Overall score: 7/10
Jul 15, 2020 1:57 AM
Jul 2018
Resus-2 said:
This anime had a pretty good start but it started to get worse later on, pretty good beginning but had a mediocre middle.

Thorfinn is also quite the cringe, he's way too edgy to be an interesting MC, all he does is rage and fight, that's it, as a character though he's simply uninteresting for me, I won't say he's complete garbage but he's just uninteresting, his antics in raging got old pretty damn fast and I had to keep up with that crap for 20 episodes or something. I know this will change and that he will get his character development in the 2nd season or whatever but in this 1st season he simply didn't cut it for me.

He's also quite the hypocrite (actually, all of those damn characters are!), he wants revenge by killing the guy that murdered his father and instead of backstabbing the bastard he helps him in killing more innocent people so not only is he an uninteresting hypocrite main character, he's also an idiot, what could possibly go wrong here?

I also couldn't bond with any of those characters, they are just a bunch of ruthless thugs that kills innocent people, I couldn't feel sympathy for any of them, I actually wanted Thorkell (the axe guy) to kill them all (including Thorfinn), I also couldn't feel shit about the death of Askeladd, I wanted him dead, sure he's the most interesting character in this anime but I didn't like him and wanted that mofo dead and he's also quite the hypocrite himself, he feels bad about the things he went through as a kid and blames his father for everything and even fight him to protect his mother but then again, when he grew up he was doing the same exact shit his father was doing, killing innocents, am I supposed to feel sympathy for that fucker? I think not, I'm glad he's dead.

My big problem was Canute. His character development was extremely unrealistic. It just doesn't make sense from a psychological standpoint.
Jul 15, 2020 2:11 AM
Feb 2019
salvak10 said:
My big problem was Canute. His character development was extremely unrealistic. It just doesn't make sense from a psychological standpoint.

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention him, that 180 personality change of Canute was unrealistically absurd, his personality change needed more time to develop and needed a better "trigger" for it, not that conversation about the "love" nonsense crap, that was absurd, once he became a badass he was cool though.
Jul 15, 2020 4:26 AM

Sep 2013
Just finished watching this series, and i have the same feeling like you. I came and watch this series with high expectation because how high praise the manga is, so after finishing it, i feels like some unsettling things needed to said.

So the starting in anime quite good for me, quite decent village with decent people, good family with some issues (mom sickness), and most of all Thorfin as character is portrayed enough like love to hear adventure stories, dont mind losing (when playing battle with his friend), and turn out hes stronger than his peers. As a viking i know he must be itching for battle therefore he want accompany his dad, and until his dad dying moment i have no problem with Thorfin (even though his agitation kinda stupid but i get it). Then my issues come after this.

First, why the hell the adult from the village not bring him home too, i think Askeladd band respect the hell out of Thors so i dont think Thorfin got kidnaped(?). Then this little kid did not worried about his other families? your mother sick for godness sake and you leave her just with your older sister.

And then come teenage Thorfin, battle harden warrior without care in the world other than revenge, he follow his father murderer band for 11 years. 11 years just helping them pillaging village and war. Yeah hes still trying to get revenge but after 11 year and countless duel (well according Thorkel assumption), he still learn nothing, he cant even graze Askeladd what the hell. You can "almost" toe to toe with Thorkel and when you fight Askeladd you cant do shit? wheres your experience from battle or war, whats the point of your training, and he cant even come up with a plan when duel with Askeladd.

And last, there's not even slightest development in his character for 24 episode not even a glimpse really unbearable to watch for me, i thought when Thorfin finally meet Leif, he will atleast change a little, but nah, hes not even reminiscing his family when he meet Leif, even Leif confused why Thorfin not asking about his family (again your mom sick you know and its already 11 years just maybe shes dont have much longer), but nope Thorfin dont care about his other family, revenge come first.

PS. Sorry for long post
Jul 15, 2020 1:45 PM
Apr 2019
Gare said:
Just finished watching this series, and i have the same feeling like you. I came and watch this series with high expectation because how high praise the manga is, so after finishing it, i feels like some unsettling things needed to said.

So the starting in anime quite good for me, quite decent village with decent people, good family with some issues (mom sickness), and most of all Thorfin as character is portrayed enough like love to hear adventure stories, dont mind losing (when playing battle with his friend), and turn out hes stronger than his peers. As a viking i know he must be itching for battle therefore he want accompany his dad, and until his dad dying moment i have no problem with Thorfin (even though his agitation kinda stupid but i get it). Then my issues come after this.

First, why the hell the adult from the village not bring him home too, i think Askeladd band respect the hell out of Thors so i dont think Thorfin got kidnaped(?). Then this little kid did not worried about his other families? your mother sick for godness sake and you leave her just with your older sister.

And then come teenage Thorfin, battle harden warrior without care in the world other than revenge, he follow his father murderer band for 11 years. 11 years just helping them pillaging village and war. Yeah hes still trying to get revenge but after 11 year and countless duel (well according Thorkel assumption), he still learn nothing, he cant even graze Askeladd what the hell. You can "almost" toe to toe with Thorkel and when you fight Askeladd you cant do shit? wheres your experience from battle or war, whats the point of your training, and he cant even come up with a plan when duel with Askeladd.

And last, there's not even slightest development in his character for 24 episode not even a glimpse really unbearable to watch for me, i thought when Thorfin finally meet Leif, he will atleast change a little, but nah, hes not even reminiscing his family when he meet Leif, even Leif confused why Thorfin not asking about his family (again your mom sick you know and its already 11 years just maybe shes dont have much longer), but nope Thorfin dont care about his other family, revenge come first.

PS. Sorry for long post
The first arc which is what S1 adapted is A prologue for the rest of the story. The last episode of the season as well as that chapter of the manga it adapted is even called "End of the prologue". Its based on how the prologues of the actual Icelandic sagas which feature a lengthy story about the protagonists predecessors before actually getting to the main story. In VS case that Askeladd and Thors before his death. Thorfinn doesn't actually become a true lead character tell arc 2 which was one of the reasons why Thorfinn doesn't get a lot of development in the Prologue. The other reason is that is lack of development in the first arc is the bases for his character in the rest of the series. Him become an unlikable rage monster that cares nothing about his revenge is intentional the point is that revenge and following the violent viking warrior way of life completely ruined Thorfinn and leaves as an empty shell of humanity being. The following arcs focused on him finding new purpose and meaning in life outside fighting and wanting to atone for the mistakes he made in his blinded by revenge warrior days as well as trying to escape the cycle of revenge and war learning the lessons both Thors and Askeladd tried to teach him. Basically while I'm saying that edgy Thorfinn for 24 episodes or in the manga 54 chapters isn't likeable but its necessary because the most important trait of his character going forward is the regret he has for the phase of his life. The Proglue is basically carried by Askeladd if the viewer/reader doesn't like his character then the Prologue is going to be hard to get through or appreciate without the Farmland arc( the second arc of the series that will make up S2 if we ever get one). Though as far why the adults didn't bring Thorfinn its implied he somehow got away for their noticed off screen to sneak on the ship which I'm actually not a big fan off. I find them losing him hard to believe.
Lawren222Jul 15, 2020 2:03 PM
Jul 15, 2020 1:51 PM

Nov 2018
Gare said:

well vikings are a bunch of man with a really high-pride and only care about fortune, they believe die in the battlefield is more honorable rather being a good man for the fam. and thorfinn really hold so much to that pride that he had to avenge his father in the most proper-warrior-way, that's why he's just being dumb and cringelord all the time, he knows nothing but pride and war. now that he lose both, that's where the real development starts

vinland saga still has a loong journey, it's just that the first phase is the edgiest part of the story, later on it's kinda calmed down
Jul 15, 2020 3:49 PM
Jan 2017
@resus-2, @salvak10, canute's development wasnt as you described it, you guys didnt pay enough attention to the elements of his character development. I invite you to take a look at the analysis i've done about this matter, you may change your mind.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1844034
Jul 15, 2020 4:23 PM
Feb 2019
hamza121419 said:
@resus-2, @salvak10, canute's development wasnt as you described it, you guys didnt pay enough attention to the elements of his character development. I invite you to take a look at the analysis i've done about this matter, you may change your mind.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1844034

I've read it, you made some great points but unfortunately not everyone will agree with your points, the way I see it that 180 personality change was still an ass pull for me (this is subjective after all), he literally transformed from a 6 years old little girl into the baddest man on earth with balls of steel, enough to make Guts (from Berserk) balls shrink and shrivel at his presence.

I would understand if that personality change happened in a couple of years but it happened instantly in this anime, this needed more time to develop.
Jul 15, 2020 4:46 PM

Sep 2013
Lawren222 said:
Gare said:

PS. Sorry for long post
The first arc which is what S1 adapted is A prologue for the rest of the story. The last episode of the season as well as that chapter of the manga it adapted is even called "End of the prologue". Its based on how the prologues of the actual Icelandic sagas which feature a lengthy story about the protagonists predecessors before actually getting to the main story. In VS case that Askeladd and Thors before his death. Thorfinn doesn't actually become a true lead character tell arc 2 which was one of the reasons why Thorfinn doesn't get a lot of development in the Prologue. The other reason is that is lack of development in the first arc is the bases for his character in the rest of the series. Him become an unlikable rage monster that cares nothing about his revenge is intentional the point is that revenge and following the violent viking warrior way of life completely ruined Thorfinn and leaves as an empty shell of humanity being. The following arcs focused on him finding new purpose and meaning in life outside fighting and wanting to atone for the mistakes he made in his blinded by revenge warrior days as well as trying to escape the cycle of revenge and war learning the lessons both Thors and Askeladd tried to teach him. Basically while I'm saying that edgy Thorfinn for 24 episodes or in the manga 54 chapters isn't likeable but its necessary because the most important trait of his character going forward is the regret he has for the phase of his life. The Proglue is basically carried by Askeladd if the viewer/reader doesn't like his character then the Prologue is going to be hard to get through or appreciate without the Farmland arc( the second arc of the series that will make up S2 if we ever get one). Though as far why the adults didn't bring Thorfinn its implied he somehow got away for their noticed off screen to sneak on the ship which I'm actually not a big fan off. I find them losing him hard to believe.

Yeah, as i said earlier that i noticed the manga and after see how long the manga been running, so i expect this will be a long anime and after watching about 15 episode i realized that the development of Thorfinn maybe come around not in this season. But what still not click right to me is that not many glimpse of what Thorfinn is (is he a kind boy, or caring, or maybe gentle boy inside) that can develop his character further. The only scene that i recognize is when Thorfinn go scouting and almost got caught but saved by a mom and daughter that showing Thorfinn can express a little bit gratitude by telling them to run away and i think thats it. And i think Thorfinn not likeable because of that. Maybe thats just my expectation but yeah thats just my issues.

Ah thats explained why hes alone on his father ship following the pirate band, honestly its really confused me.

Overall for me the ending of 1st season not really of my taste because Thorfinn, so maybe i will catch up the manga because of it.

sogegesoge said:
Gare said:

well vikings are a bunch of man with a really high-pride and only care about fortune, they believe die in the battlefield is more honorable rather being a good man for the fam. and thorfinn really hold so much to that pride that he had to avenge his father in the most proper-warrior-way, that's why he's just being dumb and cringelord all the time, he knows nothing but pride and war. now that he lose both, that's where the real development starts

vinland saga still has a loong journey, it's just that the first phase is the edgiest part of the story, later on it's kinda calmed down

I agree viking are bunch of high pride man, but still doesnt devoid them from caring their family even in the vikings tv series the main character second wife (Aslaug) give birth to a defect child (Ivar), both care about each other. Well not really apple to apple but can be considered.

Yeah i already can see when Thorfinn go home his mom already dead and he regret it (just my assumption tho).
Jul 15, 2020 5:05 PM

Apr 2020
It's quite funny you completely bought Canute's change into a "badass" when in reality he nearly passed out after thrusting a sword in Askeladd's chest. You know he forced himself to change right? Much of it was acting. It was clear that psychologically he wasn't all there yet (even before that kill). He just put all he had in this "act", and it worked. Lived his whole life amongst leaders so it's not like he shouldn't be able to act like one.

Also if Thorfinn backstabbed Askeladd he would be much more of a hypocrite, since his reason for revenge is Askeladd killing Thors in a dishonourable way. He wanted to kill Askeladd in a honest duel so he could reclaim his father's honour. The point of the story is that he's a fucking idiot for that, because Askeladd just uses that against him. His pride as a warrior is what made him an idiot.

And please, he left his village at the age of 7. At that age it's very easy to adapt to another life style. The people back in his village glorified warriors anyway.

If you didn't like Askeladd idk what to say to that. Yes, he killed innocents, doesn't make him less of a human or hypocrite. He didn't pretend to be a good guy, like what. He was very aware that his search for justice and revenge didn't make him any better than his own father. And it's that awareness that matters, because it means he wasn't some mindless violent thug. He thought little of the material wealth and status Vikings cared about. Most virtuous character in the story after Thors.
KaasfondueJul 15, 2020 5:11 PM
Jul 15, 2020 5:59 PM
Feb 2019
Kaasfondue said:
It's quite funny you completely bought Canute's change into a "badass" when in reality he nearly passed out after thrusting a sword in Askeladd's chest. You know he forced himself to change right? Much of it was acting. It was clear that psychologically he wasn't all there yet (even before that kill). He just put all he had in this "act", and it worked. Lived his whole life amongst leaders so it's not like he shouldn't be able to act like one.

I would buy into his 180 ass pull personality change if they didn't showed Canute acting like a little 6 years old little girl from the beginning, even hiding behind his mentor and apparently he didn't even talked to anyone besides his mentor and suddenly he turns into a "badass" in 1 episode and gains the respect of everyone and didn't even flinched when being attacked, you just can't have a personality change like that in 1 freaking episode. Yes he nearly passed out after killing the bastard, so what? he was still a badass prior to that, he may still not be there psychologically but the sudden 180 personality change is the argument I'm making and yes, he lived his whole life amongst the leaders as a little girl.

Kaasfondue said:
Also if Thorfinn backstabbed Askeladd he would be much more of a hypocrite, since his reason for revenge is Askeladd killing Thors in a dishonourable way. He wanted to kill Askeladd in a honest duel so he could reclaim his father's honour. The point of the story is that he's a fucking idiot for that, because Askeladd just uses that against him. His pride as a warrior is what made him an idiot.

And please, he left his village at the age of 7. At that age it's very easy to adapt to another life style. The people back in his village glorified warriors anyway.

The people in his village glorified warriors, not cold blooded murderers which is the thing Thorfinn was doing, he was killing innocent people, nothing to do with being a warrior here so this turns him into a hypocrite and yes, he's also an idiot because he's being used to kill innocents.

Kaasfondue said:
If you didn't like Askeladd idk what to say to that. Yes, he killed innocents, doesn't make him less of a human or hypocrite. He didn't pretend to be a good guy, like what. He was very aware that his search for justice and revenge didn't make him any better than his own father. And it's that awareness that matters, because it means he wasn't some mindless violent thug. He thought little of the material wealth and status Vikings cared about. Most virtuous character in the story after Thors.

Askeladd is a hypocrite because he turned into the exact same man he despised the most which was his father, a guy who didn't hesitate for a second to kill his mother and in that episode we have Askeladd saying that someone has to do it and that he wanted "Heroes" or "Artorious" to save his mother or whatever and once he grew up he was doing the exact opposite of what a "Hero" or "Artorious" wanted, he turned into a cold blooded killer who wouldn't even hesitate to kill babies for fucks sake and this is the type of guy someone like you defend?

Most "virtuous character in the story after Thors" my arse.
Jul 16, 2020 1:20 AM
Jan 2017
Resus-2 said:
Kaasfondue said:

I would buy into his 180 ass pull personality change if they didn't showed Canute acting like a little 6 years old little girl from the beginning, even hiding behind his mentor and apparently he didn't even talked to anyone besides his mentor and suddenly he turns into a "badass" in 1 episode and gains the respect of everyone and didn't even flinched when being attacked, you just can't have a personality change like that in 1 freaking episode. Yes he nearly passed out after killing the bastard, so what? he was still a badass prior to that, he may still not be there psychologically but the sudden 180 personality change is the argument I'm making and yes, he lived his whole life amongst the leaders as a little girl.

Kaasfondue said:

The people in his village glorified warriors, not cold blooded murderers which is the thing Thorfinn was doing, he was killing innocent people, nothing to do with being a warrior here so this turns him into a hypocrite and yes, he's also an idiot because he's being used to kill innocents.

Kaasfondue said:

Askeladd is a hypocrite because he turned into the exact same man he despised the most which was his father, a guy who didn't hesitate for a second to kill his mother and in that episode we have Askeladd saying that someone has to do it and that he wanted "Heroes" or "Artorious" to save his mother or whatever and once he grew up he was doing the exact opposite of what a "Hero" or "Artorious" wanted, he turned into a cold blooded killer who wouldn't even hesitate to kill babies for fucks sake and this is the type of guy someone like you defend?

i dont know if you are stupid or you were sleeping when you were watching, just who the fuck killed his mother? Askellad? Dont make me laugh, that girl he killed along was his father's bitch, were you even paying the atention, he brought his mother to Wales in ep 13 in a flashback to spend her last days in her homeland, if askellad cared for someone it was her mother, he did all the bad things fir her sake,

Askellad isnt a hypocrite, turing somehow to the man he despise didnt make him hypocrite because he knows he became like those vikings and he hates himself for turning like that, he killed those monsters he despised for years and he found himself becoming one of them, did you even pay attention to when he was talking about himself in ep 22?? He isnt the hero he longed for, this is why he isnt suitable to be king, he is dirty and be knows it, this is why he was looking for a hero to serve, it's a kind of atonement, he wanted at least to create the hero his mother told him in the legend, first he demanded from thors to become their leader, because he knew he was that kind of people he was looking for but thors wasnt interested in leading people and thus he was usless, he killed him with sadness as if he killed the promissing hero from his mother's tale, you can go back to ep 4 to see how pissed off he was by killing thors.

You dont seem to know what a hyoocrite means and you not liking the show is the result of not paying atttention to the dialogues. And yeah btw, about canut change, you still saying it is an 180° asspull after reading my breakdown, if you were to elaborate a well though essah to defend your nonesense judgement than i would accept that, but to say it is an aspull because he was shy and childish shows you either didnt read my analysis or you are an idiot, because he was just acting like that as i demonstrated. You keep saying it is an aspull without arguments and i gave you tones of argumengs why it is not.
Jul 16, 2020 1:47 AM
Feb 2019
hamza121419 said:
i dont know if you are stupid or you were sleeping when you were watching, just who the fuck killed his mother? Askellad? Dont make me laugh, that girl he killed along was his father's bitch, were you even paying the atention, he brought his mother to Wales in ep 13 in a flashback to spend her last days in her homeland, if askellad cared for someone it was her mother, he did all the bad things fir her sake

I didn't say that Askeladd was the one who killed his mother, I said that his father was the one who didn't hesitate for a second to kill her dumbass and she would have been decapitated if Askeladd didn't jumped in, apparently you're the stupid one that lack comprehension skills, learn to read next time.

And for the other garbage you wrote I won't even bother to respond to it because you ain't worth my time, first learn some comprehension skills and then we can talk, dumbass.
Jul 16, 2020 2:23 AM
Jan 2017
Resus-2 said:
hamza121419 said:
i dont know if you are stupid or you were sleeping when you were watching, just who the fuck killed his mother? Askellad? Dont make me laugh, that girl he killed along was his father's bitch, were you even paying the atention, he brought his mother to Wales in ep 13 in a flashback to spend her last days in her homeland, if askellad cared for someone it was her mother, he did all the bad things fir her sake

I didn't say that Askeladd was the one who killed his mother, I said that his father was the one who didn't hesitate for a second to kill her dumbass and she would have been decapitated if Askeladd didn't jumped in, apparently you're the stupid one that lack comprehension skills, learn to read next time.

And for the other garbage you wrote I won't even bother to respond to it because you ain't worth my time, first learn some comprehension skills and then we can talk, dumbass.
''... His father, a guy who didnt hesitate to kill his mother'' this is what you wrote, i dont know how it would be gramaticly correct to asume that askellad' s father didnt hesitate to kill his concubine, i would either assume that askelad's dad killed his own mother (askellad's grand mother) or that askellad is the one who killed his mother because we only saw askellad's mother.

But anyways, you arent superior to others when you dont argue with them, it only shows how low minded you are, by staying stuborn and not accepting what others are saying, yeah you cant respond to the '' garbage'' i wrote because you dont have any reply, you cant make a single argument and you keep repeating the same thing :''it is an aspull, it doesnt make sense'' bablaba, but this doesnt matter at all, this is your own buisness, if you feel good making fun of yourself then i dont have anything to do with you.
Jul 16, 2020 2:41 AM
Feb 2019
hamza121419 said:
His father, a guy who didnt hesitate to kill his mother'' this is what you wrote, i dont know how it would be gramaticly correct to asume that askellad' s father didnt hesitate to kill his concubine, i would either assume that askelad's dad killed his own mother (askellad's grand mother) or that askellad is the one who killed his mother because we only saw askellad's mother.

Stupidity has no bounds, next time stop being stupid and stop assuming, I was obviously referring to Olaf not hesitating for a second to kill Askeladd's mother.

hamza121419 said:
But anyways, you arent superior to others when you dont argue with them, it only shows how low minded you are, by staying stuborn and not accepting what others are saying.

This is rich, not only are you stupid lacking comprehension skills but you're also a hypocrite by staying stubborn and not accepting what others are saying either, take your own advice next time.
Jul 16, 2020 2:55 AM
Jan 2017
Resus-2 said:
hamza121419 said:
His father, a guy who didnt hesitate to kill his mother'' this is what you wrote, i dont know how it would be gramaticly correct to asume that askellad' s father didnt hesitate to kill his concubine, i would either assume that askelad's dad killed his own mother (askellad's grand mother) or that askellad is the one who killed his mother because we only saw askellad's mother.

Stupidity has no bounds, next time stop being stupid and stop assuming, I was obviously referring to Olaf not hesitating for a second to kill Askeladd's mother.

hamza121419 said:
But anyways, you arent superior to others when you dont argue with them, it only shows how low minded you are, by staying stuborn and not accepting what others are saying.

This is rich, not only are you stupid lacking comprehension skills but you're also an hypocrite by staying stubborn and not accepting what others are saying either, take your own advice next time.
yeah you were referring to olaf not hesitating to kill askellad's mother, but the sentence you wrote says olaf's mother, did you take your grammar lesson?? The 'his' couldnt be referring to askellad, it is referring to olaf, you may have made it by mistake but this is what it says, it wasnt the fault of my comprehension skills, but your grammaticly false sentence. I dont have ghe skill to understand what you intend to say by a completely wrong sentence, i'm not a thought reader, just admit you made the story confusing by writing something other than what you thought you were writing.

And what did you ever say for me to accept it, i can only accept what you are saying if it is structured and defended by arguments, i cant accept what every body feels like saying.
Jul 16, 2020 3:18 AM
Feb 2019
hamza121419 said:
yeah you were referring to olaf not hesitating to kill askellad's mother, but the sentence you wrote says olaf's mother, did you take your grammar lesson?? The 'his' couldnt be referring to askellad, it is referring to olaf, you may have made it by mistake but this is what it says, it wasnt the fault of my comprehension skills, but your grammaticly false sentence. I dont have ghe skill to understand what you intend to say by a completely wrong sentence, i'm not a thought reader, just admit you made the story confusing by writing something other than what you thought you were writing.

And this is where the comprehension skills comes in, I was obviously referring to Olaf trying to kill Askeladd's mother so I don't know why you even assumed otherwise. And about the grammar lesson, your comment has a couple of typos so take your own advice on that one as well.

hamza121419 said:
And what did you ever say for me to accept it, i can only accept what you are saying if it is structured and defended by arguments, i cant accept what every body feels like saying.

Sucks to be you but I ain't wasting my time writing structured arguments for you, I don't care if you don't accept it because no matter what I write you won't agree with it and I won't agree with yours either. Let's just agree to disagree here because at this point we are just flinging shit to each other.
Resus-2Jul 16, 2020 3:23 AM
Jul 16, 2020 7:37 AM

Apr 2020
Resus-2 said:
Kaasfondue said:

You didn't really respond to what I said and this is just hyperbole after hyperbole.

Resus-2 said:
Kaasfondue said:

Oh yeah, they definitely made a distinction between warriors who killed innocents and those who didn't. Makes sense in an era and envinronment where war and death were commonplace.

This is just false, Viking warriors were mercenaries, pirates, raiders, last type of people who give a shit about who they kill is innocent or not.

Resus-2 said:
Kaasfondue said:

It's not like he gave his life to save Wales and Canute. Once he got the opportunity to finally do something he believed, he turned his back on his Viking lifestyle. Put everything into saving his people and giving a man he deemed worthy the crown. His actions contradict his beliefs, but that's because he lived a double life.
Clearly doesn't have the same values as your average Viking.

How is he a hypocrite, he never claimed to be a good person or any better than his father.
Jul 16, 2020 4:54 PM
Feb 2019
Kaasfondue said:
You didn't really respond to what I said and this is just hyperbole after hyperbole.

I did, you simply didn't liked the answer, not my problem. If they showed Canute acting like a regular person from the beginning (not as a badass king, but a regular person) then I would have bought into that 180 personality change, this was clearly not the case here.

Kaasfondue said:
Oh yeah, they definitely made a distinction between warriors who killed innocents and those who didn't. Makes sense in an era and envinronment where war and death were commonplace.

This is just false, Viking warriors were mercenaries, pirates, raiders, last type of people who give a shit about who they kill is innocent or not.

Well, you certainly have a point there but then again, that's exactly why I didn't liked any of them, those main characters are a bunch of ruthless cold blooded killers who wouldn't hesitate to kill innocents and even babies while pillaging a village. The only characters that I really liked is Thorfinn's father, his mother, his sister and Leif, the other characters in his village were okay too I guess and I can't picture any of them killing innocents and babies so at least they have better morals than those ruthless thugs that we have as main characters.

Kaasfondue said:
It's not like he gave his life to save Wales and Canute. Once he got the opportunity to finally do something he believed, he turned his back on his Viking lifestyle. Put everything into saving his people and giving a man he deemed worthy the crown. His actions contradict his beliefs, but that's because he lived a double life.
Clearly doesn't have the same values as your average Viking.

How is he a hypocrite, he never claimed to be a good person or any better than his father.

I say he's a hypocrite because when he was a kid he believed in heroes and such and once he grew up he became the opposite of being a hero but whatever, I don't care about that anymore so let's drop the "hypocrite" argument because this isn't getting us anywhere, forget I even said "hypocrite" in this thread.

About Askeladd, yeah he sure got his moment of glory at the end, he's still a piece of trash though and a couple of minutes of "redemption" in his final moments doesn't make up for all the atrocities he did, that guy is no better than Hitler, Stalin nor the King he decapitated, all of them are ruthless thugs and shouldn't deserve any sympathy.

Askeladd didn't even regretted once his actions in killing those innocents, he talks about those guys invading and blaming it on the innocents he's killing when in reality those innocents have nothing to do with it.

For me to be able to form any type of bond with Askeladd he needed at least an entire episode of redemption, self reflection and regretting all the stuff he has been doing so far, sure, it won't make up for all the crap he has done but at least it's a start but nope, Askeladd was trash from the beginning to the moment he died, not a single moment of self reflection, not regretting, not anything, this anime didn't provide me a single reason on why I should care for that character.

At least I know that Thorfinn will have his moment of redemption so at least I should be able to bond and feel sympathy for him later on, it didn't happen in this season but it will happen later.
Resus-2Jul 16, 2020 5:57 PM
Jul 18, 2020 1:20 AM

Aug 2014
I'm on ep 13 and I'm struggling to see why people are calling this the next Attack on Titan. We had the dramatic start which was good, but so far it's just been walking, have a fight then raid a village.

Maybe it will pick up from here but we'll have to see. I struggle to watch more than 1-2 eps at once.
Slimes say "Goo'd day".
Jul 21, 2020 8:41 AM

Apr 2013
I'm on episode 13 right now as well
lol i don't see why people are complaining about the anime though.

From the very start you could tell the MC was an idiot and if this is how we were gonna start off the series it was pretty obvious it was gonna be a shit-show.

I just accepted that this was gonna be terrible and kept watching for the fighting lol
duderusJul 21, 2020 8:45 AM

Jul 24, 2020 2:28 AM

Jun 2019
duderus said:
I'm on episode 13 right now as well
lol i don't see why people are complaining about the anime though.

From the very start you could tell the MC was an idiot and if this is how we were gonna start off the series it was pretty obvious it was gonna be a shit-show.

I just accepted that this was gonna be terrible and kept watching for the fighting lol

Thorfinn isn't one of my favorites either whether compared to other protagonists or just to other characters in this show, but you say the MC was an idiot at the start. At the start the MC was 6 years-old. I mean, thinking about it, how many 6 year-olds aren't relative "idiots" compared to people with much more brain development, wisdom, and lived experience? In most cases it's a given.
Jul 24, 2020 6:30 AM

Apr 2013
I just didn't like the fact that the entire time after his dad got killed he didn't once stop to think he was guilty of his dad's death and just wanted revenge.

He did understand if Bjorn didn't capture him it might have ended differently... but never once felt hate towards himself and stuff... his narrow minded approach up until the very end of the season is what's so retarded about him...

Him becoming a viking and attacking villages and stuff was also pretty hypocritical.

Jul 25, 2020 7:39 AM
May 2020

"Well, you certainly have a point there but then again, that's exactly why I didn't liked any of them, those main characters are a bunch of ruthless cold blooded killers who wouldn't hesitate to kill innocents and even babies while pillaging a village. The only characters that I really liked is Thorfinn's father, his mother, his sister and Leif, the other characters in his village were okay too I guess and I can't picture any of them killing innocents and babies so at least they have better morals than those ruthless thugs that we have as main characters."

If you don´t like the premise of the characters being Norse mercenaries in the early middle ages then you shouldn´t have watched Vinland in the first place. The whole point of a character is to be changed by his culture and by what happens to him. If the HISTORICAL world in this time was filled with extreme war and bloodshed then you would expect that the SOLDIER and PIRATE characters would be shaped by this kind of cruel world. The villagers from the town Thorfinn was hiding in were peaceful and not as cruel as the Vikings, of course, because they weren´t as molded by war and death. Same thing with the villagers from Thors´s village.

Jul 30, 2020 5:45 PM

Oct 2017
Either you guys were a genius when you were 6-7 years old, or I was pretty stupid, also why the hell are you guys making analysis of the morals from this show based on our own from the peaceful 21st century and even then to this day people become suicide bombers and join terrorists organizations.... Like for real if you can't believe that a 7 year old who had do fend for himself for the past 11 years(more than half of his life) became so blind by vengeance there is something wrong with you not the show.
We are not viewing this from the point of the "good guys"(again based on our morals) we are seeing this from the raiders pillagers and "conquerors" so yeah maybe if seeing things from the perspective of the "bad guys" makes you uncomfortable then maybe the show is better than you thought.
Jul 30, 2020 6:04 PM

Oct 2014
Aside from weak production and uninspired direction, the big issue for me was indeed Thorfinn. I assume his manga counterpart is better, but he's definitely more like the Arifureta MC than a layered character like Guts, which was disappointing since the manga are usually compared. There's just no substance to his character or actions. So far, anyway.
Jul 31, 2020 8:50 AM

Jan 2018
Ya s1 Thorfinn is basically early Eren so he was one of the weakest characters to me as well. Also agreeing on the Canute point people have made, that transition was super rushed.
What a beautiful Duwang
Jul 31, 2020 8:55 AM

Dec 2015
Pyro said:
The issue for me was Thorfinn. I assume his manga counterpart is better.

Well, no. He's the same character (in this prologue story).

@TadanoriMari My bad, I didn't feel like this made the character different. Thanks for the rectification.
Rei_IIIAug 13, 2020 2:25 PM
Aug 12, 2020 3:23 PM

Jun 2020
Rei_III said:
Pyro said:
The issue for me was Thorfinn. I assume his manga counterpart is better.

Well, no. He's the same character (in this prologue story).
Actually he's much less of a whiny kid, remember that last duel he had with Askeladd in the anime? Where Askeladd goes into his own monologue? In the anime, Thorfinn acts like a kid that didn't understand Askeladd's message and goes on attacking him after it, after which Askeladd reprimands hmi again.. In the manga, he actually stays silent and doesn't do anything after it, maybe sulk a bit but that's it. So yeah, some parts are definitely toned down.
TadanoMariAug 12, 2020 3:31 PM
Aug 12, 2020 3:40 PM

Jul 2019
removed-user said:
[

That thing bothered me so much. His entire character development was not even a development, it just happened in seconds.
Aug 15, 2020 8:18 PM
Feb 2017
Resus-2 said:

youre a soft ass person and thorfinn wants to kill askeladd in an 1vs1
Aug 15, 2020 8:24 PM

May 2015
The criticisms in this thread are dumb as shit.

Aug 15, 2020 8:25 PM

Aug 2018
Resus-2 said:

First Thorfinn , are you calling a kid who had his father killed in front of him edgy? And ofc he is most of the time angry and all he does is fighting , are you aware that he was raised up by Vikings , what did you expect him to grow up into

+ You say that characters are thugs that kill innocent people , no shit they are fcking Vikings what did you expect ?

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Aug 15, 2020 11:38 PM
Feb 2019
Lonely_Ronin123 said:
First Thorfinn , are you calling a kid who had his father killed in front of him edgy? And ofc he is most of the time angry and all he does is fighting , are you aware that he was raised up by Vikings , what did you expect him to grow up into

+ You say that characters are thugs that kill innocent people , no shit they are fcking Vikings what did you expect ?

And here we go again.

Yeah I'm calling Thorfinn edgy, he's a boring character so as a main character he sucked-ass in this 1st season, all he did was rage and fight while having some dumb 1 (or 2) stupid line along the way in his conversations, if you think this type of crap makes a character "interesting" or "less edgy" then good for you, plenty of people considered him boring and edgy.

You can have characters with sad, tragic past as well without making them boring or "edgy".

And yeah, they are vikings alright, fuck those vikings.
Aug 15, 2020 11:53 PM
Feb 2019
TsukuyomiREKT said:
The criticisms in this thread are dumb as shit.

No offense pal but these type of 1 line comments doesn't add anything to the conversation so they are considered dumb by nature.

Do you have anything else of value to add to the conversation?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

794 by Ba-Cii10 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.