Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 14, 2020 6:29 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Anime News Network premiered the first episode from their online event today.

It starts off with narration but Tokyo is in a mess with monsters appearing. The setting looks fine for its themes but the animation quality looks pretty mediocre. It didn't take long for Sensui Kanzaki to face off against those monsters in the city. Kathleen seems to be a useful girl with her skills but I wonder how the show plans to develop their relationship. Kinda felt bad for her mom though going by what her mental stability.

Either way, I think this anime has a mixed start. I hope the storytelling will at least will be developed better. The whole monster infection gimmick is already a major element in this show. That little cliffhanger..to be continued.
Jul 14, 2020 7:09 PM
May 2016
Laughably bad, it's like a bunch of hacks spit balled ideas about what they thought would make a cool anime. "So a ninja and a samurai get transported to the future but a pandemic has turned everyone into monsters, really badly animated CGI monsters." I take back how much I criticized the CGI in Afurieta and the plot of GOHS, this makes those look like the work of geniuses.
Jul 14, 2020 10:53 PM
May 2014
You know the anime is so bad when they put more effort on releasing statements from the Staff talking about the anime rather than showing the actual footage. Seriously, it's pathetic.
UnknownSpeciesJul 14, 2020 11:39 PM
OML my signature was edgy. lol
Jul 15, 2020 7:32 AM

Nov 2010
It's unlikely that people believe the time travel nonsense in an instant. Also the monster transformed from a human radically violates mass conservation law.
Jul 15, 2020 8:04 AM

Feb 2018
Too bad (awful animation + laughable dialogues + primitive plot) to be taken seriously, but not enough weird to become something "so bad that it's good".

Just boring nonsense with a pretty fine soundtrack.
kataneerJul 15, 2020 8:09 AM
Jul 15, 2020 8:06 AM

Jan 2018
Alright, I went in blind to this anime. Right now, my expections are in the middle or quite low. 3D animation is really bad, like much more bad than Ajin and Dorohedoro. But, as always I can manage.

I'm quite surprised how they actually believed Sensui and the Shinobi guy that quick. Based on the reasoning from Yoshinaga that it is not since that samurai and a ninja exists in this post-apocalyptic world.

However, that really is illogical, you don't just believe right away. Only Adam reacted that they're crazy. Cathleen and others quickly believed it. To me, in order for their story to check it is to prove it.

Well, that's that. I'll keep watching it.
Jul 15, 2020 8:19 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, that certainly was an unimpressive first episode.

Questionable time travel, poor dialogue and mediocre production values. Doesn't seem like the plot will be especially good either but hopefully it'll.

Soundtrack was pretty great though.

I'll stick around for more with minimal expectations.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 15, 2020 8:24 AM

Apr 2012
So, now the attack of alien / biological / astral monsters is a standard cliché plot for any lazy action anime? I can still understand when games like Toji no Miko do it, but in the anime format it looks too cheap.
Jul 15, 2020 8:33 AM

Jan 2014
I liked it.

The CGI and animation don't really bother me, as the plot and characters have enough interest to be a decent show as far as I'm concerned.
Jul 15, 2020 8:50 AM
May 2020
The moment characters from the present day believe two currently bland, chiseled, long haired, bare footed men to be from the past, without question, is the moment you should take this anime the way it wants to be taken. Not seriously.

From average animation to outright bad CGI, only thing you might enjoy here is when you see the credits roll and even that is questionable since music ain't the best, albeit possibly, it's strongest suit.

Not the best first impression, at least Re:Zero comes out on wednesdays too.
Jul 15, 2020 9:03 AM

Oct 2017
Well this was a mess. Where do I even begin. A post apocalyptic world but with time travel which is actually a fun concept but the monsters are shit cg and their designs are horrible. The fps is low and some of the voices really don't suit the characters, op music was kind of meh, the pacing was too fast. The only good thing about this is proly the character design.

Pretty bad premise tbh and I'm already expectoing nothing thou still let's see how this goes.
Jul 15, 2020 9:16 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
This anime is absolutely senseless xD especially in the characters' reactions.
The animation is cool so I don't understand why the monsters are so awful, I don't expect this anime to be good, at least maybe it's gonna be entertaining....
Jul 15, 2020 9:19 AM
May 2020
How can they believe them so easily that they have travelled in time 🤣
Jul 15, 2020 9:46 AM

Feb 2019
Drifters vibes.

Disease spreading rapidly across the globe and our best hope is two washed up samurai/ninja from the feudal era? Sign me up

This shit’s so bad it’s good, if you get my drift. The animation is so laughably bad that it’s actually entertaining and the dialogue is so cheesy I found myself consistently laughing. Started watching so I’ll watch it all the way through since I don’t drop anything.
Jul 15, 2020 9:51 AM
Sep 2015
Remind me of Musashi Gundoh
I kinda have a bad feeling about this, I love hot guys, especially hot samurai and ninja and I'm too afraid to watch them die, and this is the kind of story where death is expected, a lot! I hope I'm wrong and there will be no death, everyone can turned back to human, Disney ending!
Jul 15, 2020 9:58 AM

Jul 2019
Them instantly believing they were from the past is what ruined it for me, not the CG, although it is pretty bad.

Who knows though, I'll give it another couple episodes and see how I feel. Maybe they'll explain why they had zero reaction whatsoever and that they know of this and people traveling from the past to the present has happened before, but that brawny guy's reaction acting like they were crazy tells me otherwise. Unless it is knowledge only a few know about and not the general public, then it looks like it is just terrible writing.
Jul 15, 2020 10:08 AM

Apr 2020
What I liked the most, was the opening. :D

Idk.. I am going to give 2 or 3 more episodes, then I'll see.

Maybe it gets better. Who knows.
Jul 15, 2020 10:15 AM
Apr 2020
Clearly there are many holes in the show. Usually when someone tells you something outrageous like being from a whole different time period people ask lots of questions. Who knows, they could have totally lied about the whole thing. The dialog to me seems like it could get lengthy and whatnot, but who knows. The animation. Oh, the animation. The creatures are laughable. I don't expect much more out of the first episode but I will keep my mind open. Definitely a weird start in my opinion. Bless this show.
Jul 15, 2020 10:23 AM
Jul 2019
Eu achando que esse ano estava ruim,pq os monstros não são em 2D mesmo.
Nossa CGI tá parecendo os monstros cagados do Arifureta.
Vou continuar assistindo,mais cm um aperto no coração de que se ele não me impressionar até o EP 5 tchau tchau Gibiarte,vai pra a lista dos Dropped.
Minha nota pera esse ep é ...6/10 não está tão ruim ao ponto de piorar.
Jul 15, 2020 10:36 AM

Nov 2016
Oh look, it's a bottom tier anime, who would've guessed.

But not even 3min in and it solidified as the funniest start this season, so there's at least that.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 15, 2020 10:45 AM

Jul 2017
welp that was kinda random lol. but hey, at least there's a reverse isekai that people have been longing for :P

At first though, thought this plot was going to be some sorta zombie apocalypse type thing (like The Last of Us)

And what's up with the character designs lol? The dudes look like they're from some 90's show and the girls looks similar to designs like Kabaneri xd. But dayumm is that some bad CG
Jul 15, 2020 10:57 AM

Dec 2016
It's like “if coronavirus turned you into a monster” kinda thing XD

Well about the animation it's ok I guess and that sensui looks so weird, the doctor has that old anime character design. Also is it just me or Kakihara's voice sounded kinda different to me...

If there's anything good about this anime then it's just the music, I would like the OP more if it had vocals, it sounds like an instrumental version of a song.
Rickydory123Jul 15, 2020 11:05 AM
Jul 15, 2020 10:59 AM
Jul 2019
Ok, what we have here is a combination of an epidemic of Apocalyptic size where instead of zombies we have infected humans transforming into horrible monsters, a reverse isekai where init involves a couple of samurais from the sengoku era, a female MC who dresses like a whore , TBH this anime's plot has some similarities from Will Smith's " I am Legend."
Jul 15, 2020 12:40 PM

Jun 2015
It was going okay until near the end. Then nonsense about dripping water. You hear it or you dont. Its called age or wax build up. Trust me, thats the real world. In this world, MC suddenly introduced to scientist who knows loads of shit. While at the same time before meeting said scientist, experiencing mistrust and animosity from the huddle remains of humanity left to fight back.

I hope it gets better. Else I'm just gonna go watch the shit CBS pumps out.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jul 15, 2020 12:43 PM
Jan 2019
the animation is bad, wonky with awkward pauses and turns me off
it has awkward writing and bad conversations
but, I am still interested a bit
OmniBoyJul 15, 2020 12:47 PM
Jul 15, 2020 12:49 PM

Jul 2015
CG is trash and im pretty sure they had a singer for the OP that bail on them at the last minute lol but the show is kind of interesting and sometimes even funny, so i give it a shot.
Lets see how it develop in the future episodes.
Jul 15, 2020 12:55 PM

Oct 2018
Damn, that was kinda really bad.

The premise is questionable, the art is very inconsistent, characters are bland and their voices don’t really match their appearance, and the CG is some of, if not the worst, that I’ve seen in anime.

At least the OP and ED songs were pretty decent, so thats a plus in my book.

Also that doctor guy looks exactly like Uryu Ishida if he was in his forties lmao.

Probably gonna continue watching till its end, despite how bad it might get.
Jul 15, 2020 12:56 PM

Feb 2017
I liked it.

True the CG was trash tier and the animation overall was not that great, but for me it add to the charm in a strange way.
Jul 15, 2020 1:17 PM

Oct 2014
So a samurai and a ninja are teleported to a dystopian future in which the coronavirus turned everyone into big ugly CGI monsters. Fantastic.

I like the music.
Jul 15, 2020 1:34 PM

Apr 2018
Starts out with Tokyo getting massacred with Monsters that infect humans. A Samurai and Shinobi was being exiled and teleported to the future with the pandemic. Interesting plot so far but questionable when they believed both of them was samurai and shinobi instantly. The CGI is ok bearable but I can get past that as long as the story/plot is good.
Jul 15, 2020 2:03 PM

Nov 2018
The CGI monsters are absolutely horrible. The plot is also bland and pretty unninteresting.

The imediate reaction of everyone being:

"i traveled through time from the past, and i am a ninja btw"
"some terrible CGI abominations are atacking us, i dont give a fuck mate, you are dressed like you are from the past, soo believe you 100%, here let me take you to our camp where our family lives withoud even checking if you have weapons or are infected or anything! BTW, dont mind the one guy that doubts you, the story needs at least one person to be kind of assholish to you."
TougenJul 15, 2020 2:08 PM
Jul 15, 2020 2:22 PM

Nov 2018
I do think that this episode was unimpressive but the CGI isn't that much of an issue for me but the animation overall is not that good but decent.

Most of the characters are pretty bland but some of the dialogue was hilarious. I'm gonna watch more of this because I'm not the kind of person to drop anime.

Several plot holes already and the concept isn't really that original in any way. It's like of the coronavirus made you turn into some weirdly animated monster. The characters didn't really question that there were these two guys that had reverse-isekaied from the past and most of them weren't even surprised. That just might be a case of bad writing though.

[font="\"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.[/font]

[/center]
Jul 15, 2020 2:47 PM

Jul 2017
That was... something.
Jul 15, 2020 2:48 PM

May 2019
I was gonna write a review, but maybe it's too soon, so I'm going to talk about my first impressions right here. Here we go...

Let's talk about the good side first (yes, that's right, there are a few good things to notice on this show): the plot is interesting, 2D character design reminds me of JoJo's, sound effects are fine, 2d art style of the apocalyptic city looks really good. Animation is ok. Voice acting and OST sound neat...

... and that's everything good I could spot in Gibiate.

Now, let's talk about the bad side. Oh... my... God...

First of all, 3D animations. Just why. In the few frames where the main Gibia in the episode is represented in 2D, it looks normal, if only everything was in 2D... But they had to throw terrible, horrible 3D models and expect everyone would like it. Well, I didn't, and I don't think I'm the only one. Apparently that wasn't enough. The dialogues written make no sense at all, since all the characters seem to accept the fact that 2 samurai looking dudes are time travelers. Last, but not least, I slept halfway through the episode. That pretty much sums it up.

But surprisingly enough, I'll stick around for a few more episodes. I want to see where it goes so I can be completely sure it's bad.

So far it's a 4/10.
JMagnagoJul 15, 2020 2:53 PM
Jul 15, 2020 3:11 PM

Mar 2014
that was quite....ew
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Jul 15, 2020 3:25 PM

Jul 2012
That "Edo? oh, you must have time traveled from the past then, that's cool" reaction tho, lmao... like seriously? that Adam guy was the most sensible one in the whole episode.

And yeah... 3D monsters... why?

The op was fire though.
Jul 15, 2020 3:36 PM

Jul 2017
I'm pretty sure that the production staff for this show has the Coronavirus pandemic as a plot device, I swear by it. High-profile people all together to make an anime, yeah my ass.

The finicky time-travel aesthetics, coupled with the whole Samurai thing, and ehhhh...not sure what to make of it. Plus, mutated beings in CGI, ugly as hell. Not to mention no-name studios showing off their bulk, and definitely mediocre.

The characters are merely plot movers to keep the pace going, and just accept it as is happening.

The story though, rough start, but it's only Episode 1 so not very hopeful for what lies ahead, but fingers crossed.

The music is fire though, that's the best I can give it. BTW, ANN's coverage of the staff talking about the anime is just side cheddar, but even at Episode 1 and already talking batshit at "how the anime gets better" is no consolation.

This was something.
Jul 15, 2020 4:31 PM

Nov 2014
I enjoyed it, it would have been great if the animation was better.
Jul 15, 2020 4:32 PM

Jun 2015
It wasn't great but I could have put up with it if it wasn't for the fact that people just believed they came from the past immediately. 'Hi we're a samurai and ninja from the past but it seems we've been sent here to fight monsters or something' 'oh really? Cool! Never thought I'd meet a real samurai!
At least they came up with a reason why her mum instantly believed it.
Jul 15, 2020 5:57 PM

Mar 2016
That was quite an abomination I’m not making further visits to.
Jul 15, 2020 6:23 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yeah, the monsters CGI were pretty bad to seen. Not to mention that the art style seems out of my liking. And the premises of the infection felt really generic by some previous show that had quite similar ideas. The only one interesting here was the samurai personality and interaction toward the surrounding. Yeah, only that i might highlight over this mediocre show. So, lets just see how shit they fucked up their daily life on that wastelands fighting against unknown monster called Gibiate.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 15, 2020 6:27 PM

May 2015
wow that was just awful
Jul 15, 2020 7:17 PM

Jan 2020
stopped watching around 10 minutes in during the hilariously bad cg fight, god I really wanted to enjoy this but the art and animation is so piss poor that I just will not watch any more of this show lmfao
Jul 15, 2020 7:45 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
i knew it would be bad and i still watched that shit.

somehow it was even worst than what I expected because it wasn't even unintentionally funny or something it was just excruciating to watch.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 15, 2020 7:55 PM

May 2020
I thought the first episode was ok. It wasn't too exciting and the whole "mysterious virus is killing all the humans" is a little plain. On top of that there are time travelers???? Not a great start and I hope the story develops and quickly because right now, there's not much going for it.
Jul 15, 2020 8:13 PM

Mar 2009
Bruh. What? An epidemic that transforms us into monsters, and then a samurai and ninja are transported from the Edo period just because. This is peak anime.

Wouldn't be surprised if the coronavirus mutates and starts turning us into monsters. Seems like the logical next step for 2020, honestly.
Jul 15, 2020 8:22 PM

Nov 2018
This is honestly the first time I've ever decided to drop a show 10 min into the first ep.
Jul 15, 2020 8:35 PM

May 2010
Finally, a not super duper clean looking anime.
We have alien cartoon take over the world, so a GBA-20 pandemic is no surprise.
Jul 15, 2020 9:01 PM

Jun 2012
That was goofy as hell, so many dumb plot points already but its not all terrible so far. Im gonna try sticking with this one for a while longer.
Jul 15, 2020 9:22 PM
Jul 2018
this was horrible, dropped
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gibiate Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2020

78 by Punkero »»
Jul 21, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Gibiate Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

43 by Punkero »»
Jul 21, 2023 9:59 AM

» Do you think it's that bad?

KanekiKen523 - Apr 29, 2023

7 by AntiMoba »»
Jun 23, 2023 10:21 PM

Poll: » Gibiate Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jul 22, 2020

78 by Ardi8 »»
Apr 23, 2022 10:52 AM

» Could this be the most unlikable MAL full entry?

VitorLeiteAncap - Oct 9, 2020

12 by metalmonstar »»
Nov 1, 2021 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.