Forum Settings
Forums

What's an example of an anime that started out good but got worse as time went on?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 15, 2020 3:26 AM

Apr 2020
Tokyo Ghoul - It was poorly adapted and got even worse from season 2

Darling in the Franxx - It was really interesting and great up to episode 14-16 and then everything was rushed and had a bad ending.

Bleach- It was peak shounen till the SS arc and then gradually the quality went down. Still a great watch

Fairy Tail- It was really enjoyable up until the Grand Magic Games arc and the Tartaros arc. The last season and the war arc was total BS but still kinda enjoyable
Jul 15, 2020 4:28 AM

Apr 2016
* Darling in the FRANXX. 15 episodes decent that went down hill. One of the worst ending from the anime I watched.

* Tokyo Ghoul (obviously). 1st season good, second mediocre, season 3&4 utterly garbage.. Studio Pierrot ruined such a good story.

* Toaru Majutsu no Index. First 2 seasons were good but the 3 was so rushed. Way too many factions were introduced in a small amount of time

* Nanatsu no Taizai. First 2 seasons were good but then Studio Deen came with horrible animation and stupid censorship that looked like something from Hentai

Jul 15, 2020 4:50 AM

Sep 2017
Fairy Tail's first arcs were quite funny and enjoyable, then...well it became Fairy Tail.

SAO's Aincrad arc was nice, but then we got Alfheim

Tokyo Ghoul's first season was good too, but it got progressively worse season by season, and the last one was a complete disaster

Japan Sinks' first episode was pretty good and the second one was nice. Then it completely blew up un mind-air with the 3rd episode and the rest was awful

Promised Neverland, the anime was excellent but the last manga arcs were disappointing and the ending is a huge deception

One Piece, mostly after the timeskip because of the infamous pacing and animation. Plus, the anime became weirder since Big Mom's arc and it's even worse in Wano, and I really don't like it

Babylon, which had a fantastic first 7 episodes but then did a 180 and changed everything. It was still somewhat good but a huge letdown after the first part.
Jul 15, 2020 5:44 AM

Jan 2017
The first thing that comes to mind for me is Another which had some pretty good atmosphere and mystery in its earlier episodes due in large part to its quality ost, but while the initial questions were intriguing all the answers to those questions ended up being pretty underwhelming, and the conclusion to the show was written pretty terribly and just came across as stupid to the point of hilarity.
More recently there was Babylon which was an intriguing thriller mystery in a semi-realistic setting and had a really good first three episodes and was still good until episode 7 which was also pretty standout but episode 8 and onward decided to pivot into a monotonous deluge of philosophy and completely abandon what had made its earlier episodes so entertaining to watch.
Jul 15, 2020 5:47 AM

Aug 2013
Literally any anime with more than 12 episodes.
Jul 15, 2020 5:56 AM
Nov 2019
Definitely Tokyo Ghoul. Season 1 looked super promising, the plot seem interested and it kinda makes you wanna watch more and more but after season 1 I could see a crack starting to form in season 2, went from a totally interested and eye catching story to your typical shonen overpowered and overly handsome character which a girl just had to fall in love with, if you neglect this season 2 doesn't have much flaws but I swear to God season 3 made me vomit, they let a newbie take charge of it So studio clown courl hold Tokyo ghoul’s license. its two seasons deviated from their source material, moved too quickly and twisted the manga's plot irreparably, they were abysmally animated, poorly directed and unintelligible for anime-only viewers really disappointed
Jul 16, 2020 2:40 PM

Jun 2016
Tokyo Ghoul for sure, I thought it wasn't that bad in the beginning when I watched and completed it, but after I read the manga I realized how little justice the anime served the manga
"I don't care if no one likes me. I wasn't created in this world to entertain everyone"- Oreki Houtarou
Jul 16, 2020 2:41 PM

Dec 2017
Death note- starts really good and worsen as it goes
Don't fuck up the present, it's connected to your future!
Jul 17, 2020 1:08 PM
Aug 2018
KADO: The Right Answer is the first one that comes to mind. Had some really cool concepts and ideas, and the first two thirds of the show were great. Then completely went off the rails toward the end. The ending was so stupid it literally mad me mad.
Ironic that a show called "The Right Answer" comes to the most wrong answer it possibly could have in the end.
Jul 17, 2020 1:12 PM

Jul 2019
Darling in the Franxx. It started off as a pretty cool mecha anime but then it went down the drain. Cucking, shit characters, complete mess of a plot
Jul 17, 2020 1:15 PM
Jul 2018
Rising of the Shield Hero. The first 4 episodes were not only magnificent imo , but also greatly improved on the source material. Unfortunately , as time went on, the show devolved into a shitty generic harem.
Jul 17, 2020 1:36 PM

May 2012
As much as I enjoy it the way Fairy Tail got worse and worse is something I definitely found frustrating. Towards the end I just stopped caring about the plot and any of the fights, just focussing on the feel good romantic/friendship moments. That being said, the sequel series 100 years quest is a lot better than the final few arcs of the main series and I'm enjoying it a lot more.

Death Note is another one but I don't think it's as bad a case as Fairy Tail.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2020 8:38 PM
Nov 2019
Zankyou no Terror comes to mind. Its masterful production and interesting premise could've made for a great show, but as it progressed the writing got shakier and shakier till it feel so far it became a profound disappointment.
Jul 17, 2020 9:22 PM

Aug 2016
oof, it´s something usual to be honest: escaflowne, BNA, Savage Maidens, Vento Aureo, DiTF, Orange, Netoge, Highschool of the dead, Nadia, Tenchi Muyo (the 2000s killed the franchise), SAO, Akagi, Utena, Sakigake otokojuku, hokuto no ken, Mob psycho etc etc etc.
MichaelJacksonJul 17, 2020 9:27 PM
:v
Jul 17, 2020 9:27 PM

Jan 2016
SAO - probably the biggest disappointment in my book (a mishmash of RPG, mature, harem, you name it)
Fairy Tail
Nanatsu no Taizai - I don't always point towards MAL averages but there's a reason why the 3rd season flopped as it did. Just saying.
Jul 17, 2020 9:33 PM
Oct 2018
Zener said:
I mean Tokyo Ghoul would be obvious.Maybe a unpopular opinion but MHA started out pretty great but I've been kinda disappointed after S3 first cour

I was hooked the first 2 seasons of MHA, but I can't seem to be interested anymore. I'm stuck on season 3. maybe because it was 3 years ago and I matured... idk
Jul 17, 2020 10:15 PM

Dec 2018
Tokyo Ghoul because of the rush adaptation. but I also don't like manga because I'm not satisfied with the ending like something's missing.

In my opinion, SAO is only good in season 1 and Ordinal Scale, because now SAO is no longer what it used to be about the game world, but just like Isekai like other anime. another one that makes me sick because a lot of anime is too generic to make the American government as its enemy.
and now they are defending the npc,

besides that there is Zankyou No Terror and Death Note. Same as Sao, make America as your enemy.

Psycho Pass season 1 is good but since season 3 the show has lost its way. it's no longer about the detective police genre anymore but just a mere action genre. with an unattractive main character.
"Anime Was a Mistake."- God

Jul 17, 2020 11:15 PM

Sep 2013
i know its just episode 2, but Deca-Dance. when episode 2 came it became the fastest drop i've ever done.
Jul 18, 2020 12:00 PM
Jul 2018
Literally every big name battle shonen you could think of with very few exceptions. Want to know why?
Shonen magazines would try to prolong anything that gets popular past the authors initial intention, heck most of the time the authors of shonen don't even have a clear goal for the future so they end up agreeing just to make that money. Once the show is no longer as big they just get canceled, unless it is really big then you can get the Naruto / DBZ treatment of making more non-canon content out of it.
Jul 18, 2020 12:02 PM

May 2014
Beelzebub was pretty fun for a while but it just dragged on and on and on after a while, and then they gave us that dumb ending.
Jul 18, 2020 12:49 PM
Jun 2017
yeah, you can't deny the big offenders x.O

Darling in the Franxx was borderline from the start and then just went off a cliff
Death Note was a great L vs Light but then just got worse as the episodes went on
Tokyo Ghoul is more known for how horrid the second season was than for how great the first season was x.x

I have to say, there really isn't many anime that DON'T get worse as the anime goes on. As the writers lose interest in their own story, so does their motivation, thus they just start pumping out bull putty to keep a decent income until their next hit.

Should we really include anime that are all filler at the end as the anime getting "worse?" Technically, it's not part of the story, just something to keep people's interet.

OH and for the person who said that Rise of the Shield Hero becomes a generic harem x.O; exactly what the hell are you smoking? You DO know what a harem is, correct? And you HAVE actually watched your basic harem right? I mean seriously, watch Princess Lover, Highschool DxD, Masou Genken HxH. Rise of the Shield Hero was a breath of fresh air for those who were losing interest in isekais BECAUSE it didn't follow that troupe
Jul 18, 2020 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
My hero academia, what the fuck is it even about anymore, the characters can't get worse
Jul 18, 2020 10:51 PM
Jul 2018
Inuyasha , the first episodes showed promise but later it just became worse to the point of dropping it
Jul 18, 2020 10:54 PM

Sep 2018
Karakuri Circus. Eps 1-12 or 13 were pretty good.The story moved pretty smoothly and the animation was nice. Everything after that was all over the place to the point where it was confusing to watch
Jul 18, 2020 11:21 PM

Apr 2015
Death Note - was phenomenal until after episode 25, for obvious reasons
The Promised Neverland - not the case for the whole first season anime, but once second season comes out people will be disappointed for sure
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S - absolute masterpiece until after episode 16, I had to drop after cause I heard the rest were fillers
My Next Life as a Villainess - entertaining until after episode 7, the rest were fillers or stupid
Erased - kinda obvious why, the ending was dumb
Sword Art Online - synopsis had so much potential and episodes were initially interesting, then turned into a boring series about a perfect guy surrounded by "cute" girls
Hataraku Maou-sama! - loved loved loved the first episode, everything went downhill after that

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Dec 2, 2020 12:24 PM

Mar 2020
Here's a couple in alphabetical order:

- Charlotte: It started out as a decent high school, supernatural mystery series with an interesting premise and solid humor, but was completely ruined by thriller elements thrown in without any foreshadowing and one of the worst final episodes I've ever seen.

- Erased: This one probably doesn't deserve to be on the list as it's actually solid overall. It's great for the first 8 episodes or so, but the last four are extremely rushed and the ending is simply terrible.

- Fairy Tail: I don't know if this counts, as it's pretty much all bad, but Fairy Tail had a solid first couple of episodes with fun and interesting characters and solid humor, but it quickly devolved into one of the most cliche, predictable, and badly written battle shonen series I've ever seen. It's a very popular guilty pleasure show to be sure and that's about it.

- K: The show had a solid first season that was ultimately rushed, but with every new sequel that came out, the writing got worse and the plot got dumber overall.

- Kyoukai no Kanata: This is my biggest guilty pleasure in anime. It's a show that should have been great and was really good for the first couple of episodes, but due to some unbelievably stupid writing decisions, character moments, and an unability on the studios part to commit to the Dark Fantasy genre, this show just got worse and worse with every episode. I heard the movies were really good, though I haven't seen them and cannot comment otherwise.

- Pokemon: Ever since Diamond and Pearl ended and Brock left the show, it just hasn't been the same. The writers are clearly running out of ideas for new pokemon (I mean, a fucking ice cream cone pokemon? Seriously?) and the new characters are simply terrible (with exception) that I just can't watch anything afterwards.

- Re: Zero (as of Season 2 part 1. It could still get better over time): This is going to be an unpopular one on this list, but while the first season was a good introduction to a massive fantasy world with mostly solid characters and a great story premise with tons of potential for world building and story expansion, the second season (except for the first 4 episodes) squandered most of it, was extremely poorly written, left tons of questions that needed answers/resolutions unanswered, and completely failed to build its world or expand its lore in any meaningful way.

- Sword Art Online: The same deal as Fairy Tale, except it had a better idea and premise and somehow ended up being even worse.

- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: This is probably the one that arguably doesn't deserve to be on the list since the final chapter of the Suzumiya saga we got (the movie) was a borderline masterpiece and most of the show overall is solid, but the second season was such a slog-fest, especially with 8 of the 12 episodes being literally the exact same episode that, if you took the movie out of it, you can see how the quality dropped over time. I can see the dumb fun of Fairy Tail, but I simply cannot understand why so many people love this show.

- Yugioh: To be fair, Yugioh was never a particularly good show to begin with. It was dumb, fun, and cheesy fluff that ended up producing one of the most addictive card games I've ever played, but after the original show ended and they went on to produce new stories with a completely different cast of characters, it just went down hill. The GX saga is okay, but everything after that is subpar garbage, and the addition of new card types ended up ruining the real-life card game as well by introducing overpowered cards and strategies that you just can't compete against unless you use the same deck and the same overpowered strategy.
Dec 2, 2020 12:28 PM

Apr 2020
Yesterday wo Uttate and Sword Art Online. Pretty self-explanitory.

Dec 2, 2020 12:31 PM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Quite a lot actually.

Attack on Titan - Eren too annoying (Still gonna watch next season though)
Re-zero - Too much crying (still gonna watch the next part)
Fairy Tail - Don't even remember
SAO - Last 2 seasons sucked horse dung for obvious reasons
One Piece - Was actually good and interesting until the New Arc
Darling in the franx - Too much darling
HXH - After getting the licence it went downhill.

There are many more but here are a few of them.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Dec 2, 2020 12:32 PM

Jul 2020
Absolute Duo. Started right off and the final was... titles

Also Toaru Kagaku no Railgun. First 15 episodes were a masterpiece, 10/10, amazing stuff... all just to end up babysitting. Come on
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Dec 13, 2020 7:18 PM

Feb 2016
divine gate. a relatively obscure anime because of this, despite the decent amount of members. in the beginning it did have a fair bit of potential, if somewhat cliche, and the opening was "fire", so to put it, so it drew a lot of people in. but the writing, not the strongest to begin with, deteriorated severely in the second half of the series, which seems to be a common theme with game adaptations...

also dororo. i still think that it's good overall, but it had issues with pacing and animation starting mid-way through the series. i believe it switched studios and/or animation directors; something like that.

i like soup

Dec 13, 2020 7:20 PM

Jan 2020
Darling in the franxx. I remember really liking it at first but the ending episodes completely ruined it for me

Dec 13, 2020 7:20 PM

Feb 2010
easy Death note went to shit after L died.

@KingShuloxx

that is because railgun is and forever will be a SPIN OFF and more specifically a Gaiden which rely heavily on the MAIN series.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Dec 13, 2020 7:22 PM

Sep 2014
The biggest drop in quality I've seen is Hunter x Hunter 2011
Dec 13, 2020 7:26 PM
Jul 2018
Zener said:
Maybe a unpopular opinion but MHA started out pretty great but I've been kinda disappointed after S3 first cour
Ah, you beat me to it!
I really really like the first season and thought the second on was fairly solid as well. Nothing exceptional, but an enjoyable show nevertheless.
- I swear, I forgot season three existed for the longest time - and I still probably recall a single thing that happened
Season four was.. kind of disappointing; don't think I'll be watched s5.

Rudolfpikel said:
The first thing that comes to mind for me is Another which had some pretty good atmosphere and mystery in its earlier episodes due in large part to its quality ost, but while the initial questions were intriguing all the answers to those questions ended up being pretty underwhelming, and the conclusion to the show was written pretty terribly and just came across as stupid to the point of hilarity.
Again, beat me to it. The lavish animation and setup are amazing and It sucks 'cause the potential for a great horror series is totally there, but half-way in, the mystery aspect is just kinda taken away with the teacher-librarian guy just explaining everything :/
(Can't say the ending's particularly great either!)
removed-userDec 13, 2020 7:38 PM
Dec 13, 2020 7:38 PM

Jul 2011
Fairy Tail - which is a shame because it had the potential to be an above average generic shounen.

Pokemon - it was enjoyable early on but it quickly became boring and shallow. I heard later arcs improved but I stopped watching way before that.
Dec 13, 2020 7:39 PM

Jul 2017
2 spectrums to this:

Manga (I know it's off-topic but this has to be mentioned):
Almost EVERY Weekly Shonen Jump big hit a.k.a Promised Neverland, Demon Slayer etc. in the recent years circa 2015.

Anime? YES THERE ARE A LOT.
SAO: Everything but the Alicization and Aincrad arcs.
Certain Scientific series: Everything, but the spin-off Railgun is awesome.
The BIG 3 back then (Bleach, One Piece, Naruto (Shippuden I can stomach but not for long)), Fairy Tail etc a.k.a long-running series.
Pokemon: Basically everything after Misty and Brock was nowhere to be seen

The final-stretch "wasted potentials":
- Erased (insert obligatory ending?)
- Darling in the FranXX (after that ONE controversial episode)
- Charlotte, because it just feels so wedged in
- Seven Deadly Sins (the changing of studio and handovers)

And believe me, there are a lot more to dig out for 20+ years of anime.
Dec 13, 2020 7:40 PM
Jun 2020
Death Note is will be the most suitable example
Dec 13, 2020 8:11 PM

Aug 2016
Bleach. Soul Society is still one of the peak anime arcs imo and even Arrancar is pretty great, but by Fullbring is just drops in quality like a brick and don't even get me started on TYBW that shit was just a big mess.

Akame ga Kill was pretty fun for the most part but oh god the final stretch of episodes was some of the worst fucking shit I've ever seen, whoever decided any of the decisions made in the last 7 episodes were a good idea needs to be given the death penalty for real. Its scary to think that such messed up people who would think that shit was a good idea are just wandering around out there.

The first season of Free was a fun and fairly unique sports anime but the second season was paced way too slowly and tried to be too melodramatic. Then the third season was just an embarrassment, don't even like to remember that one exists. Screw whoever decided to milk this show for another season when season 2 managed to pull out a fairly satisfying conclusion.

Psycho-pass is an obvious one. The first season is a great story with a fairly interesting storyline and characters. But by the second season the show just becomes an absolute joke due to them changing writers and having no idea what to fucking write so they just reskin the first seasons plotline but condense it to 11 episodes and make it 100% more edgy. Then the movie comes along and all hope was lost (at least that's what you'd think but season 3 was actually not bad)

Re:Zero was pretty fun to watch for the first two arcs but around halfway through the first season it just became a chore to watch.
Dec 13, 2020 8:14 PM

Sep 2018
Shield Hero starts with a really dark interesting twist. It turns out to be more of your typical op harem mc lead shounen later on though I still like the series.
Dec 13, 2020 8:15 PM
Oct 2020
Tokyo Ghoul started of strong, but lacked pace and story development in the following seasons that came.
Dec 14, 2020 12:31 AM
Aug 2020
Danmachi. S1 was such a banger then it just got worse and worse. I dont even want to start S3 anymore after looking at the random IG posts online. Like the motive behind the anime is getting worse.
Dec 14, 2020 12:33 AM

Nov 2018
Zankyou no Terror
Zankyou no Terror
Zankyou no Terror
Zankyou no Terror
Zankyou no Terror
Zankyou no Terror
Zankyou no Terror

ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ɪꜱ ɴᴏ ᴡᴏʀꜱᴇ ɪɢɴᴏʀᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴛʜᴀᴛ
ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴏꜱᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ
ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ᴘᴇʀꜱᴏɴᴀʟ ᴄᴏɴꜱɪᴅᴇʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ ᴀʀᴇ ᴜɴɪᴠᴇʀꜱᴀʟ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜꜱ.
Dec 14, 2020 1:16 AM

May 2019
Shield Hero starts amazingly with the whole rape-victim plot (can't phrase it better, sorry), but then we got the usual isekai adventure business.

7 Deadly Sins was pretty good in the first 2 seasons, and then season 3 happened.

Babylon had me completely hooked with it's initial episodes, and then just went downhill when the Prime Minister conference thing happened.

Tokyo Ghoul's season 1 was good, but the sequels were preeety bad.

SAO was great initially in the Aincrad arc and then......

Death Note was absolutely amazing, until

Danmachi was good in season 1 for as long as they focused on Bell's progression. Season 3 has been my least favorite so far.

Fire Force season 2 was an absolute disappointment. It didn't carry the same tension as season 1

The God of Highschool became a trainwreck midway.

Yesterday wo Utatte: (no comment)
Amoh25Dec 14, 2020 1:34 AM
Gintoki and Sugita's birthdays are 1 day apart.
Dec 14, 2020 2:08 AM
Level 1 Otaku

Jan 2018
+1 Seven Deadly Sins. Hyped up after first season, then everything after the animation and story just went downhill. Real disappointment there.

Dec 14, 2020 2:16 AM

Jul 2020
God of highschool had a really interesting premise when I watched the first episode but then things didn't make any sense and it was really rushed as the show went on.I would also like to add Tokyo ghoul.It really had an interesting first episode and really deserved the title of the best 1st episode anime but it was really fast paced as the show progressed and it also left out some important stuff in the anime.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 14, 2020 2:28 AM

Jun 2020
God of high school , but not midway, rather at the 3rd ep
Tokyo ghoul root A? lol
Dec 14, 2020 2:45 AM

Dec 2018
Spice & Wolf is the one which comes to my mind when it comes as a perfect example of this. I initially was really interested in it but my immersion & investment in it eroded fast the more I watched of it, especially during Season 2, which was a massive downgrade from the first season, where things got super-boring real fast.
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
Dec 14, 2020 2:55 AM

Apr 2019
Erased started out really strong and had a great first half but then it progressively got worse with each passing episode and had a pretty stupid ending.

Beastars is another one that comes to mind. It had real great drama, mystery and characters in the first half but then the entire lion Yakuza stuff happened without any proper buildup and it definitely ruined my enjoyment of the show.
Dec 14, 2020 2:57 AM

Aug 2018
a lot of seasonals are just like that tbh
Dec 14, 2020 3:34 AM
Jul 2018
Naurto and Bleach were considered very good when airing but as time passed people didn't have the patience to watch fillers.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 6 hours ago

21 by r3v3l3v3l »»
2 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 9 hours ago

8 by Ratris_Decision »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

70 by Pikmin404 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

158 by WaffleMaster89 »»
4 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 7 hours ago

25 by logopolis »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.