Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2020 11:15 AM

Mar 2013
Heh. Here i was hoping that subarus next checkpoint would trigger after his confession for emilia considering how genuine it was.
Now i find myself a bit angry at the fact that the checkpoint happens just barely after the events of Rem and Crusch, making their fate irreversible

All for the sake of plot i guess

Im just happy that rezero is back. Good luck subaru
Happy Halloween
Jul 8, 2020 11:15 AM

Aug 2019
Well, I wasn't a fan of the first season, but still, it was a good episode, though the pacing bothered me. Still don't like the dialogue much and the overly dramatic scenes. But Crusch was my favorite character last season so seeing her arm ripped off and then losing her memories did make me sad. Hopefully, I'll enjoy this season more.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Jul 8, 2020 11:17 AM
Aug 2018
RealTheAbsurdist said:

But it shouldn't make sense to the characters. They should be very wary and suspicious of Subaru at this point.

I think you overlooked small details in Season 1.

Due to the "witch miasma" (or "witch scent" as other characters call it) the Witch Authority don't work on Subaru as effectively. So he is able to remember forgotten people and see the "unseen hands". Subaru's reset power is controlled by Satella (Witch of Envy) and Subaru doesn't have much control over it.

In the Mansion arc Subaru was getting killed by Rem because she was suspicious of him. Subaru had this lingering witch scent, and it seemed like he was learning stuff about the mansion (like where pots are kept, etc) too quickly.

Then, well, he had that big fight with Emilia in Ep13
due to their misunderstanding and because he wasn't exactly able to explain his circumstances to her and Emilia couldn't bring herself to blindly believe in him.

Remember her dialogue "I can't understand if you don't explain Subaru. The version of me that lives within you must be amazing, she can understand all your pain and sorrow without even you explaining".

And ofcourse even Crusch was not believing in him later on in Episode 16,19 etc.

So it's not like other characters are blindly believing in him. Ofc they're suspicious. They're just tagging along for their own benefits (Crusch, Wilhelm, Felix etc) because Subaru's "intuition" worked well for them. Emilia now knows that Subaru is on her side as he saved her and confessed to her (she has suffered lot of prejudice and discrimination due to having a striking resemblance to Satella, most people hate her and 99% of their world is against her, so Subaru saying he loves her made her happy). She also knows he has some "secrets", but he cannot tell about to anyone, so she's trying to put her faith on him.
rakp333Jul 8, 2020 11:30 AM
Jul 8, 2020 11:22 AM
Apr 2014
What a weird start, this should've been the cliffhanger ending in last season right?
Usually with a new season you wanna start with a fresh coat of paint, new characters, new setting etc and then start building into it, you don't just start with the emotional impact right away. also introducing 2 antagonists in that manner felt very rushed. "We're here to delete Rem, k my work is done here, see ya"
It's the fallout of the last arc, it's kinda hard to care, if you're gonna adapt an arc, just do the entire thing from start to finish.
Also the visuals look kinda subpar, hope that improves.
Jul 8, 2020 11:23 AM
Aug 2018
PDot19 said:

Now i find myself a bit angry at the fact that the checkpoint happens just barely after the events of Rem and Crusch, making their fate irreversible

It was not "just after".

That whole thing with Rem and Crusch happened while Subaru's party where fighting against Petelgeuse and evacuating the villagers.

Even if Subaru had reset back to his old save-point (after defeating the whale) he couldn't have saved them because Crusch gang had already left after the whale battle. (Remember the "blank Letter" Emilia&Ram had received in episode 23? That letter was written by Rem, but Rem got erased so the letter went blank). So by that time Rem and Crusch were already done.
Jul 8, 2020 11:23 AM

Oct 2018
If you read the "What if" chapter called "Natsuki Rem" by the original author (I personally read the manga about it), those 6 photograms around 10:39 of the episode will be 100x more devastating.
Jul 8, 2020 11:27 AM

Mar 2014
That'S RIGHT Rem fanboys/girls!

MOVE ASIDE because it is Emilia time to shine now!!

Especially a sweet, adorable loli ;)

This is what I have been waiting for, for so long! So much HYPE, I just hope they don't plan to finish all of Arc 4 in 13 episodes because boy...we have a lot to go
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Jul 8, 2020 11:28 AM

Jan 2018
boi, I thought they kill rem on 1st episode. phew glad I was wrong
Jul 8, 2020 11:34 AM
Nov 2013
After 4 years, it’s finally here! <3

The fight between Crush & Rem vs. the Archbishops was awesome. Ending scene between Subaru and Emilia was simply beautiful (I’m team Rem but I also really like Emilia).

I can’t even imagine what’s in store for Subaru. I think I’m gonna have to pick up the light novel. Waiting each week for an episode is going to be painful!!
Jul 8, 2020 11:40 AM

Apr 2019
Season 2 is here! After an extra three months of waiting it's here!

Those two new archbishops, Gluttony and Greed, look pretty cool and are probably a lot stronger than Petelgeuse was.

So...that sucks that Rem is just kinda "gone" until who knows when. Kinda teared up during the scenes with Rem, and Subaru asking Emilia to turn around so he could cry didn't exactly help with that.
So now with Rem bedridden, hopefully Ram will get some time under the spotlight.

Pretty good episode, really looking forward to the next one.
Jul 8, 2020 11:41 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Pretty seamless transition from one season to the next. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 8, 2020 11:41 AM

Mar 2013
rakp333 said:
PDot19 said:

It was not "just after".

That whole thing with Rem and Crusch happened while Subaru's party where fighting against Petelgeuse and evacuating the villagers.

Even if Subaru had reset back to his old save-point (after defeating the whale) he couldn't have saved them because Crusch gang had already left after the whale battle. (Remember the "blank Letter" Emilia&Ram had received in episode 23? That letter was written by Rem, but Rem got erased so the letter went blank). So by that time Rem and Crusch were already done.
ahh thats right. I remember a good portion of season 1 but that detail definitely slipped past me. Feel like i should revisit some of season 1.

Either way, the plot thickens
Happy Halloween
Jul 8, 2020 11:44 AM
Aug 2018
PDot19 said:
ahh thats right. I remember a good portion of season 1 but that detail definitely slipped past me. Feel like i should revisit some of season 1.
Either way, the plot thickens

Yeah, the plot will thicken.
And lot of stuff in Season 2 will be connecting dots between events in Season 1.
So it would be good if you remember small details.
Jul 8, 2020 11:46 AM

Jul 2014
And so the suffering begins once again. It's weird how this first episode simultaneously felt like it was jumping straight back into the action, while also feeling as if it was taking a more patient approach than season 1. A lot of time was given to comprehend everything that happened, while also showing that Crusch's conviction and strength of character has remained despite the loss of her memories.

Meeting two Sin Archbishops at once is interesting - though it does make sense that Greed and Gluttony would be operating together, given that they're relatively similar - and immediately sets a tough challenge for Subaru to overcome. At the very least, it's good that he can't Return by Death to before the attack, as that would be far too easy and convenient, ultimately undercutting their very existence in the show. That being said, it's much more difficult to see how Subaru wins this fight, especially given that Greed is very clearly sane unlike both Sloth and Gluttony.

Only strange thing is no one questioning why Subaru still knows about Rem after she's been "consumed" by Gluttony, but I suppose he gets a free pass after everything he did in Arc 3. I also did not notice the "what if" scenes in Rem's final memories, but they really add a weight of tragedy to her "demise".

A strong start for sure.
Jul 8, 2020 11:47 AM
Nov 2015
Welp, it has finally started, and a friend of mine who reads the novels told me that this was going to be a wild ride.

I'M NOT READY
Jul 8, 2020 11:53 AM
Nov 2019
So we started with the extra clip in the wagon from the directors cut "Who's REM" , skipped over to the other wagons bumping into Greed & Gluttony and REM gets Cinderella'd and wiped from everyone's memories (Apart from Subaru & Puck).

4 year's have past and the artwork & animation is about the same standard as 4 year's ago - it'd be nice it it had improved slightly but at least its consistent.

there were a few frames where it seemed a little flat but overall I couldn't see too much difference from the previous studio. Hopefully the effects of covid-19 won't spoil any episodes and TBH if it adapts Arc IV well I'll have no complaints at all.

Finally a show this season that isn't crap. Let Subaru's suffering begin.
Jul 8, 2020 11:53 AM

Aug 2018
I usually don't watch ongoing shows.. It was like 2 years since I watched ongoing show.. I prefer to watch anime in my own pace, not once per week.. But I'll probably be heavily spoiled about this anime, so will watch it weekly.. Well, here goes this experience, however it'll be.. ;P I'm excited for this show.. Liked first season a lot.. Return after death, time travel, and topics like that - can be truly fascinating to me personally.. Especially if it changes person.. That's what I hope to see more in the upcoming season.. Well, now to the episode..
Oh, I like how Emilia acknowledges that Subaru wants to say something really important, and tells him to take his time.. I really like support from Emilia in this moment..
"Who is Rem?" !!!!! Man!!!! ;D I'm excited about this!!! Or are they just trolling us viewers?.. ;D I don't understand for now, will see..
Crusch isn't good at smiling and regrets even now about this, she says?.. Did she fail at smile sometime in the past in something major, or something?.. I wonder..
I'm not too excited about those two villains, though.. I get that persons from Witch cult are psychopaths.. But.. They could get some variety in personalities or something, you know?.. For now they just feel like sadists mostly, and that's it.. But that's how it personally feels to me.. That guy might be something more, but for now he's still hur dur, kill all.. Though, now that I think about it.. Villains overall in Re:Zero are mostly like that, really.. So maybe it's pointless to expect something show isn't really centering around..
Rem presenting herself as if Subaru's champion, you can say?.. Well, that's a nice thing.. ;p
Was that Rem with Subaru's baby at 10:39?..
Damn, that Felis' cry at 11:07.. That's soul crushing.. Felis really actually cares about Crusch?..
Damn, that "who is Rem" gives me chills again.. ;P
I like how considerate and supportive is Felis in talk with not remembering Crusch.. He's still trying his best to support her emotionally as well, even if maybe it's hard for him.. Or I think so.. On the other hand, he's being dickish to Emilia.. ;D But Crusch actually points this to him, huh..
Lots of Felis suffering this episode.. Yeah, he truly cares for her, and just wishes for her to get out of this situation.. But she has to regain her memories..
It's nice that Emilia shows willingness to understand Subaru's feelings towards Rem.. Even if she doesn't remember her.. And to work things out together.. I hope they'll support each other more, really..
Damn, Subaru's eyes regaining light at 26:54.. As if regaining hope or something.. It's hard to move alone with his problems..
"Each one's promise" is a nice name for this episode.. Everyone as if making resolutions for themselves, what they want to do next.. It is important for everyone - Subaru, Emilia, Crusch, Felis..
Overall, nice episode.. Had some moments I liked, which I wrote above.. Will wait for more, and hopefully it'll be an enjoyable season.. Now I'll maybe just rewatch Emilia's hug support to Subaru or something, while holding my tears, lol.. ;P
Jul 8, 2020 11:54 AM

May 2018
I just had to whatch subaru suffer for another episode , it gived me steins gate flachbacks , Poor Rem tho.
Jul 2019
WTF all of the sudden nobody remembers Rem??????

And Rem just got killed????

Oh man they basically just repeated the same thing from the 1st season, when Subaru goes through a time loop over and over again.....

Jul 2012
That suicide power still looks painful as ever.
Jul 8, 2020 11:59 AM

Dec 2012
Fuckup save point.
It's finally back! and 25 EPISODES <3

Jul 8, 2020 12:09 PM

Aug 2016
Good thing Rem is gone from the scene for a while. Emillia can finally shine now.
Jul 8, 2020 12:14 PM

Sep 2017
this first ep was rlly good,, i’m excited for this season!

[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]

Jul 8, 2020 12:19 PM
Apr 2020
aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh this was gooooood!
lots of good points to talk about:

first, the voice acting was superb!
Lye voice actor is just brilliant!!!
Regulus VA was also good, but didn't expect that VA to voice him, it will get time to get used to it but I don't think it's a bad choice either
as always Subaru and the others' VA did a good job too especially Crusch's
the way she changes her tone from when she had her memories and when her memories got eaten, that was a good job on her part.
art and animation wise, I honesty don't see it as ''bad'' as people are saying
this is white fox studio not bones or ufotable...some scenes had really good animations some didn't but they don't have that impact...season 1 had good animation when it mattered, Elsa vs Reinhart was an example, but nothing ground breaking in the rest of the season...Demon Slayer sat the bar too high it seems.
in any case this is still episode 1/25 too early to judge
I also want to praise that ''What IF'' moment never thought I'd see it there....could it be that we'll get an OVA of the ''what IF Rem'' story, like while she is in a coma she is dreaming of that family life with Subaru...maybe...

anyways, I personally loved the episode, yes I'm a big Re:zero fan so what...I'll enjoy it no matter how it turns out to be
Jul 8, 2020 12:24 PM

Apr 2015
After 2 seasons of Isekai Quartet, it's so good to see them in their regular sizes again!! Great to have you back Re:Zero!

They legit waste no time getting into things, I guess that's what happens when a Directors' cut aired before season 2! Luckily, eventho I didn't watch it, I remembered it pretty damn well.

Wellp, the one thing I got spoiled about for future seasons actually already happened in the first episode! Poor Rem, her name and memories got eaten by Gluttony! This is pretty sad, not much Rem this season it seems!

That was quite brutal though, those Sin Archbishops look pretty OP, especially the archbishop of Greed.

On the bright side, eventho Subaru didn't manage to save Rem from getting her name/memories eaten, he did manage to save Crusch's life! Unfortunately she has also lost her Memories :(

Let the suffering begin!!
Jul 8, 2020 3:55 PM

Mar 2010
AMAZING episode, I could feel all the emotions, all the worries.. all the delegations that go with a alliance. The struggles of fighting and fighting and fucking fighting to just get things right...
Only a fucking shut in with no real problems won't feel the emotions. Excellent episode and the comfort Emilia gave was just so pure. Loved it almost shed a tear but ye i'm no beta.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 8, 2020 4:20 PM

Apr 2013
heh episode 1 and Blood is already spilled as expected of Rem: Zero
also "Who is Rem" ah shit, here we go again...
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?
Jul 8, 2020 5:15 PM

Oct 2008
Let the suffering continue!
glad it is back...and some other series as well lolz
5/5.

Nefelupitou said:
Yes, my friends. It really hurts me, but I must say it:

RE:ZERO IS THE BEST ANIME OF HISTORY

w0w you really put this as high regard huh...
matias067Jul 8, 2020 5:19 PM

Jul 8, 2020 5:16 PM

Nov 2018
Well that was boring. The animation was very lackluster, and the voice acting was so annoying. Did Re:zero always have this shounen of voice acting? I can't wait for mal to overrate this just like what they did with the first season.
NoktoHJul 8, 2020 5:53 PM
"Otaku search for patterns within data presented and draw conclusions. Anime fans only see clones and copies."
-artificialnightsky
Jul 8, 2020 5:16 PM

Oct 2014
Holy shit... I'd be lying if I said that didn't completely catch me off guard...
Jul 8, 2020 5:24 PM
Aug 2018
Nice episode 3/5. I really liked it i hope we wionget no gake no life season 2 too
Jul 8, 2020 5:26 PM

Aug 2018
AnonymousGuy9 said:
Finally! Too bad it's a normal length episode. Well at least it's not getting delayed

This episode marks the downfall of Rem's screen time. We won't be able to see her again this season

Edit: Just saw an Easter egg here
Feels bad man

EXCUSE ME??!! No more Rem for the rest of the season?? 😭
Jul 8, 2020 5:28 PM

Jun 2016
As someone who hasn't read the manga that was quite the shock.
The background music fit this episode so well that it gave me goosebumps. If the rest of the season can maintain the standard set forth in this episode I will be thrilled.
Jul 8, 2020 5:29 PM

Jul 2016
The artstyle and animation is bad than the prequel the low budget fight with stills and reused animation is disappointing. The whiplash of comedy and drama is bad. Subaru is the same nothing change, Emilia too. Rem meme is real lmao. The amount of emotional scene is the good thing, but Subaru is a cringy edgelord. I think overall 1st episode is fine, nothing special happens.
Ps. The two antagonists are cliche and cheesy and they are funny, I think the two are getting the screen time this cour being the foe to Subaru to beat. To the next episode

Jul 8, 2020 5:30 PM
Feb 2020
Watched this like 3 hours ago but servers were down. Amazing, i think this is the best season of anime in a long while.
Jul 8, 2020 5:31 PM

Sep 2019
Eh that was a okayish ep. It was more of a set up for what is to come rather than a good full-fledged episode. I'm totally fine with that as long as it gets better progressively throughout the season.
Jul 8, 2020 5:33 PM

Jul 2015
Ah I see we meet again pain and suffering, we've missed you so much
Jul 8, 2020 5:34 PM

Sep 2019
chriskor022 said:
Ps. The two antagonists are cliche and cheesy and they are funny, I think the two are getting the screen time this cour being the foe to Subaru to beat.

I'm not a huge fan of archbishop of gluttony's character design, and I can see how they might seem cheesy, but how the hell are they already cliche? It's been one episode and they've had <5 minutes of screen time.
Jul 8, 2020 5:35 PM

Jul 2016
MSK3 said:
chriskor022 said:
Ps. The two antagonists are cliche and cheesy and they are funny, I think the two are getting the screen time this cour being the foe to Subaru to beat.

I'm not a huge fan of archbishop of gluttony's character design, and I can see how they might seem cheesy, but how the hell are they already cliche? It's been one episode and they've had <5 minutes of screen time.
i read the WN so I know and the leader is the visual.

Jul 8, 2020 5:40 PM

Sep 2019
chriskor022 said:
MSK3 said:

Fuck. I was hoping that this season the antagonists would be more intimidating, or at least visually more "scary" (not sure if that's exactly the right word). Betelgeuse was a pretty decent villain, but due only to his writing, and not his character design at all. I'm just hoping that the two villains won't be used for comedic purposes.
Jul 8, 2020 5:43 PM
May 2016
MSK3 said:
chriskor022 said:

Fuck. I was hoping that this season the antagonists would be more intimidating, or at least visually more "scary" (not sure if that's exactly the right word). Betelgeuse was a pretty decent villain, but due only to his writing, and not his character design at all. I'm just hoping that the two villains won't be used for comedic purposes.

The antagonist of this season

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
DeadlyRavenJul 9, 2020 4:33 AM
Jul 8, 2020 5:43 PM

Nov 2011
Saku_k said:
SoraSenpai said:

I mean I feel like she clearly died in the first part. Rem closes her eyes on the battlefield and Felix is crying his eyes out when he sees her. He wouldn't be crying that much if he could easily reattach her arm.

I don't wanna be that guy, but Felix reattached Crusch's arm. It is said in the light novels, but anime adaptations don't exactly explain everything or include every line of dialogue else they would go on forever.

Ahh Okay. Well there goes my theory haha.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jul 8, 2020 5:44 PM

Jul 2016
MSK3 said:
chriskor022 said:

i think the villains main purpose its to be fodder by Subaru but not his power, but others like happen to Sloth(Romanee Conti). So its nothing like other isekai. Just keep watching its getting better just ignore Subaru.

Jul 8, 2020 5:46 PM

Jul 2016
Oh they got me with that "IF Rem" memory scene, I'm really hoping for an OVA of that.

Aside from some point of lacking animation for being first episode, they still delivered well with the voice acting and the audio effects.

Next episode probably will start what this arc will be about.
Jul 8, 2020 5:48 PM

Sep 2019
Yohanlie said:
MSK3 said:

The antagonist of this season is not them

Ah okay, I guess they just make an appearance like Elsa did in the very first episode. Hopefully it's echidna, she seemed like a rather interesting character from the PVs that have been put out.
Jul 8, 2020 5:48 PM

Oct 2013
This was a fine start I guess. I'm not feeling Gluttony's and Greed's characters. Such a huge letdown from what I heard that the other archbishops are as good and interesting as Betelgeuse.
Jul 8, 2020 5:50 PM

Jun 2020
First off, the episode was really good, with how they started off with some dejavu with season 1 of them forgetting Rem. I really hate how when we returned to death his checkpoint, was on the carriage meaning he couldn't really save Rem. Overall, the ending gave me hope, as they were alive and well, and how they Crusch's crew and Emilias crew are keeping the alliance, to get revenge on the other archbishops gluttony, and greed. Cannot wait for episode 2

Jul 8, 2020 5:54 PM

Oct 2010
Episode 1 pretty solid. Nice that they fixed Petelgeuse's name this time around but they forgot to fix Pack's name ( http://re-zero-anime.jp/tv/character/)

Kinda annoyed they listed it as 26 instead of 1. Makes more sense to restart the count on a new season.

Biggest issue for me was how "cartoony" the new villains were. Very cringe. Was the last season like that? Been so long I don't remember lol.
Jul 8, 2020 5:55 PM

Sep 2019
Napok said:
This was a fine start I guess. I'm not feeling Gluttony's and Greed's characters. Such a huge letdown from what I heard that the other archbishops are as good and interesting as Betelgeuse.

On one hand, they do look like less interesting characters than Betelgeuse, but on the other hand, they have had very little screen time so far. Hopefully they'll develop to be interesting characters.
Jul 8, 2020 5:59 PM

Oct 2013
MSK3 said:
Napok said:

On one hand, they do look like less interesting characters than Betelgeuse, but on the other hand, they have had very little screen time so far. Hopefully they'll develop to be interesting characters.

True, but I'm not expecting much... Betelgeuse was love at first sight. It's just that I had high expectations from what I heard
Pages (13) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 30, 2020

504 by titty »»
Apr 11, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kaiseki - Sep 23, 2020

453 by titty »»
Apr 11, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 16, 2020

675 by titty »»
Apr 11, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 2, 2020

516 by titty »»
Apr 11, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Jul 29, 2020

672 by chiwila »»
Apr 9, 9:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.