Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Shakunetsu Kabaddi' Gets TV Anime Adaptation

New
Jul 6, 2020 12:25 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
TV Tokyo opened an official website on Tuesday, announcing a television anime adaptation of Hajime Musashino's Shakunetsu Kabaddi (Burning Kabaddi) manga. The website also revealed a teaser visual (pictured) and promo.

Synopsis
First-year high schooler Tatsuya Yoigoshi, the former ace of a junior high school soccer team who has come to dislike sports, receives an invitation to join the Kabaddi club. Initially mocking the idea of Kabaddi, he takes an interest after watching an intense competition akin to martial arts at a practice session.

Musashino began the sports manga on Shogakukan's Ura Sunday web magazine and MangaONE application in December 2015. The 13th volume was shipped on February 12, with the 14th volume set to be released on July 10.

Shakunetsu Kabaddi ranked among the top 20 manga in the male readers' division in the 2017 Kono Manga ga Sugoi! rankings.

Teaser

Official site: https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/kabaddi/
Official Twitter: @kabaddi_anime

Source: Comic Natalie

Shakunetsu Kabaddi on MAL

News tip submitted by Aiimee
VindstotJul 6, 2020 5:46 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 6, 2020 12:32 PM
May 2016
okay, so Kabaddi is apparently a 7 v 7 sport where you dash to the other side, tag any defenders without getting tackled by them, then run back before you're caught or there too long or something. Wikipedia said it had to be done in a single breath, which I guess means it's supposed to be done quickly as opposed to literally a single breath.

Sounds interesting, might give this one a watch depending on the inevitable animated PV. The Manga PV was nice, but I need a better idea about how this is going to look
Jul 6, 2020 12:43 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Interestingly, Kabbadi is the national sport of my country (Bangladesh) so curiosity alone has won me over on this lol.

Sealing a place in the Males Category in Kono Manga ga Sugoi 2017 is another hook though so here's to hoping this'll deliver.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 6, 2020 12:56 PM
Jul 2018
Can't say I'm interested in kabaddi but I'm sure interested in hot boys being... competitive
Jul 6, 2020 12:58 PM

May 2019
Oh boy another sports anime, gotta set a reminder so I can make sure to miss this one.
Jul 6, 2020 12:59 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
LMAO, literally the last sport I'd ever expect to get an anime.

NG_Chloe said:
Wikipedia said it had to be done in a single breath, which I guess means it's supposed to be done quickly as opposed to literally a single breath.
Nah, it's literally in a single breath. Players repeatedly say "kabaddi" without any break to let the referee know that it's being done in a single breath.
Jul 6, 2020 1:04 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
GoldenDevilGamer said:

Tell me more about it, lol. Fact that there was even a good-selling manga is quite surreal, I don't know if I should be more surprised by the anime adaption or the manga now xD.

Jul 6, 2020 1:10 PM
May 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:

NG_Chloe said:
Wikipedia said it had to be done in a single breath, which I guess means it's supposed to be done quickly as opposed to literally a single breath.
Nah, it's literally in a single breath. Players repeatedly say "kabaddi" without any break to let the referee know that it's being done in a single breath.

really? what do ya know, that sounds like it would require a lot of practice
Jul 6, 2020 1:16 PM
Sep 2019
OH YEAH KABADDI KABADDI KABADDI KABADDI KABADDI KABADDI KABADDI KABADDI
Jul 6, 2020 1:17 PM
Dec 2018
They should do a dub in Hindi and Tamil for this show since Kabaddi is a game of South Indian origin and played even in rural areas of India. I bet it'll be super popular.
Jul 6, 2020 1:20 PM
Sep 2019
salarx said:
They should do a dub in Hindi and Tamil for this show since Kabaddi is a game of South Indian origin and played even in rural areas of India. I bet it'll be super popular.

I think my dad will finally think normal of me watching anime, heck he's probably gonna watch it with me.
Jul 6, 2020 1:27 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
_MushiRock11_ said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

Tell me more about it, lol. Fact that there was even a good-selling manga is quite surreal, I don't know if I should be more surprised by the anime adaption or the manga now xD.
I remember Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro having a kabaddi reference and I thought to myself that this will be the only time I'll ever hear this sport be mentioned in an anime. Yeah... clearly I was wrong, lol.

NG_Chloe said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

really? what do ya know, that sounds like it would require a lot of practice
Being good at it definitely requires a lot of training, but by simply playing it more and more, they'd slowly get better at it. Back in the old days in South Asian countries, villagers would play kabaddi as a method of physical training and improving reflexes.
Jul 6, 2020 1:34 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
GoldenDevilGamer said:
I remember Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro having a kabaddi reference and I thought to myself that this will be the only time I'll ever hear this sport be mentioned in an anime. Yeah... clearly I was wrong, lol.

Same here xD, you can never predict what this industry is up to.

Chio-chan's Kabaddi was more like a prototype version though so it'll be interesting to see how this game actually works with the correct number of players across each time and whatnot.

@Niansuh Our fathers are going to change gears immediately and be proud of us for watching anime from now on, lol.

Jul 6, 2020 1:36 PM
May 2015
I thought this was going to be about rugby but what the fuck is kabaddi? I haven't heard of that sport in my life. Is it some Japanese exclusive sports shit I know nothing about?

Jul 6, 2020 1:52 PM

Nov 2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabaddi

Very interesting indeed. I am always up for something new and seeing it's originating in the Indian subcontinent and now being played in Europe sounds interesting.

There are some YT clips. Looks like it's a rough sports.

What are the going to make an anime about next? Cricket? That's another sport popular in the Indian Subcontinent, Australia and some parts of Europe.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 6, 2020 1:54 PM
Jul 2020
Oh damn Kabaddi is relevant in Japan? Looks like my dream of having a cricket based anime next isn't as far-fetched as I once thought.
Jul 6, 2020 2:01 PM

Nov 2007
zenimegi said:
Oh damn Kabaddi is relevant in Japan? Looks like my dream of having a cricket based anime next isn't as far-fetched as I once thought.

Well, Captain Tsubasa and Slam Dunk changed Japan's sports scene after they were animated. This might do that as well considering the manga is actually ranked.

And yeah, I thought the chance of Cricket too. I think they have a shorter version now that appeals to Japan.
Coronavirus.
Jul 6, 2020 2:06 PM
Jul 2020
shanimebib said:
Well, Captain Tsubasa and Slam Dunk changed Japan's sports scene after they were animated. This might do that as well considering the manga is actually ranked.

And yeah, I thought the chance of Cricket too. I think they have a shorter version now that appeals to Japan.

Interesting indeed. Being from the Indian subcontinent, I'm a huge fan of Cricket. I was following Japan's U-19 cricket team in the recent cricket world cup too. There's a good chance the sport will blow up in Japan and as a result we'll start getting manga based on cricket. Would be terrific!
Jul 6, 2020 2:10 PM
Sep 2019
@_MushiRock11_ Lol yeah, they'd be proud.
Tho I'm really shocked that: someone knows about this sport in Japan, someone thought of making a manga about it, the manga is popular and that it's getting a anime adaptation and I can't tell which of these surprises me the most.
Well at least this may be the gateway of anime to the Indian subcontinent.
Jul 6, 2020 2:22 PM
Jul 2020
https://www.sportskeeda.com/kabaddi/pro-kabaddi-league-2017-season-5-kabaddi-comic-book-becoming-quite-the-rage-in-japan

Sportskeeda, a popular online sports news website based out of India posted about the manga way back in 2017. I honestly hope for a way that those who are avid Kabaddi fans, and not necessarily anime fans, get to watch this anime. And if possible, hope Muse Asia, Amazon or Netflix picks this title and that way it can be legally streamed from the Indian subcontinent. Kabaddi is really getting mainstream among the youth here and the anime should cash in on that by having it available to watch here.
Jul 6, 2020 2:37 PM

Jan 2017
i wouldn't even know what kabaddi is, if it wasn't for "chio-chan no Tsuugakuro". i assumed it was almost irrelevant outside of india, so i'm pretty surprised there's actually a manga about it. the art looks pretty good too.
Jul 6, 2020 2:37 PM

Sep 2009
zenimegi said:

Japanese team actually was 3rd on the Kabaddi world cup once. And I saw it used in a couple of animes before.
Jul 6, 2020 3:01 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Wow, only 79 members. Is the manga translated?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2020 3:08 PM

Nov 2007

Of course you play the sport like your life is on the edge and you need to break ironclad chains to escape! Haha! Sports manga sure are something else! Gotta love them!

Anyways, skimming through the first volume, I have to say it is indeed quite an intensive manga. It's understandable why it has been ranked in Kono Manga ga Sugoi!

Dunno if it will be either of the two but maybe Production I.G./MADHOUSE will be able to animate all the moves and intense moments of the manga panels?
Coronavirus.
Jul 6, 2020 3:26 PM

Nov 2016
A few minutes ago I didn't even know kabaddi was a thing, but now I'm looking forward to this.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 6, 2020 3:38 PM

Oct 2017
As a Punjabi I am so hyped for this, since my people dominate this sport

GoldenDevilGamer said:

In Full metal Panic Fumoffu, they had a scene where students were playing Kabaddi at school.
-SP-Jul 6, 2020 3:46 PM
Jul 6, 2020 3:39 PM
Jul 2018
lol this sport is super weird. they hold hands a lot too

looks crazy but respectful. still don't get it though
https://youtu.be/hMopoETkhl0?t=2m38s
if you watch further it looks like Australia doesn't get it either
removed-userJul 6, 2020 3:53 PM
Jul 6, 2020 4:41 PM
Jan 2015
so they want to please an indian continent. GREAT MOVE!
Jul 6, 2020 6:45 PM
May 2018
Been watching and playing Kabaddi since childhood. I can't wait for it, hope this gets a good adaption.
B +ve
Jul 6, 2020 8:10 PM

Feb 2011
Huh, guess I'd never heard of it because there's no translation. Looks like something to check out for sure.
眠れないのは君のせい
Jul 6, 2020 11:24 PM
Jul 2018
We didn't got to see PRO KABADDI league this year due to the pandemic
looking forward to this anime

used to play it a lot with friends
Jul 7, 2020 1:17 AM

Dec 2016
Kabaddi is the national sport of our country Bangladesh, to think there would be an anime about kabaddi really makes me happy. I will definitely give it a watch.
Rickydory123Jul 7, 2020 1:20 AM
Jul 7, 2020 1:50 AM

Oct 2017
An anime about Kabaddi? Count me in.
Jul 7, 2020 2:20 AM
Mar 2018
I had been wanting to read this manga for quite some time but it was untranslated, so glad that it's getting an anime.
Jul 7, 2020 3:10 AM
Oct 2018
Oh man, I wish sepak takraw would get an anime too or manga there gonna be a lot who’d die for it
Jul 7, 2020 3:51 AM

Feb 2019
Chio-chan's senpai(chio-chan no tsuugakuro) and yamazaki(gintama) gonna be happy that their favorite sport got an anime.

-SP- said:
As a Punjabi I am so hyped for this, since my people dominate this sport
Haryana dominates it more than punjabis.
Jul 7, 2020 4:53 AM

Jan 2011
That sport I only know about thanks to showing up in manga. Feels like fate that there's now gonna be an anime about it.
Jul 7, 2020 5:57 AM

Jan 2018
Kabadi, Kabadi, Kabadi sure bring back a lot of memories lol used to play it with school mates I guess it's more fun playing than watching it.
Jul 7, 2020 5:59 AM
Nov 2015
Will I miss my country sport...Hell no!!!
Jul 7, 2020 6:12 AM

Apr 2020
कबड्डी कबड्डी कबड्डी !
Now that's what I will be seeing upto .
This game was founded in my state "Maharashtra "
Tristar_ShinobiJul 7, 2020 6:15 AM
Jul 7, 2020 6:15 AM

Oct 2019
A anime I can get hyped for and not get dissapointed. I don't watch sports anime but this one will be an exception.
कबड्डी कबड्डी कबड्डी !

Jul 7, 2020 6:31 AM

Nov 2018
No fucking way! A manga based on our national sport? Now this is a news to me! Man not even once i thought we would get an series about Kabaddi, let alone an adaptation of it.
Jul 7, 2020 9:37 AM

May 2020
zenimegi said:
Well said bro i think the same way... lol
My MALoween✟Mansion 2022 Candies :
Jul 7, 2020 10:46 AM

Feb 2019
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Since you have gintama in signature
Jul 7, 2020 11:48 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
cythraul said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
LMAO, Totally forgot that happened in the Owee arc, lol. Yamazaki should've pursued this over badminton, lol.
Jul 7, 2020 12:29 PM

Feb 2019
GoldenDevilGamer said:
cythraul said:
LMAO, Totally forgot that happened in the Owee arc, lol. Yamazaki should've pursued this over badminton, lol.
Too bad since Tosshi wouldn't let him pursue it.
Jul 8, 2020 12:01 PM

May 2010
Was never interested in Kabaddi, despite it being originated in my country. But this anime has my attention.
D-gen-XJul 8, 2020 12:04 PM

Sometimes you must hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow, lose in order to gain because life's greatest lessons are learned through pain.
- Pain
Jul 9, 2020 11:26 AM

Jan 2017
Damn! I never thought there would be an anime adaptation of a manga based on an Indian (my country) sport! I dont really watch sports anime but definitely gonna watch this. I think it will be really interesting, cosidering the way its played in real.

zenimegi said:
shanimebib said:

Interesting indeed. Being from the Indian subcontinent, I'm a huge fan of Cricket. I was following Japan's U-19 cricket team in the recent cricket world cup too. There's a good chance the sport will blow up in Japan and as a result we'll start getting manga based on cricket. Would be terrific!

Well imo i think a cricket anime will be a very tough task if Anime Industry ever thinks of making it (though i dont think it will happen tbh due to many prejudices surrounding the sport).

On techincal front, Cricket overall is a very hard sport to follow. Being a fellow veteran cricket fan, u know how much knowledge of the game u should have to actaually enjoy it to the fullest. T20 cricket might be a bit easy to follow but still, anime adaptation of cricket is a big stretch.
Jul 10, 2020 3:08 AM

Oct 2010
I became a kabaddi lover after I watched and read chio-chan no tsuugakuro. This should be insanely good. PTW
Jul 12, 2020 3:49 AM

Apr 2012
I am glad that recently we have received more and more sports anime, but I am confused by the reason for this. Is the industry in such a zealous search for new ideas that we get a bunch of new anime and remakes in almost every genre? Hell, this is the first time I have seen that we get several BL hentai at once for several years.

Catalano said:
I became a kabaddi lover after I watched and read chio-chan no tsuugakuro. This should be insanely good. PTW

The same, lol.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
59 minutes ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.