Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 1, 2013 6:44 PM

Feb 2011
Poor Tiz. I really wanted her to survive. And Thor now looks like Third used to. Ha!

I really liked the story here, and the whole DNA twist thing at the end was great. I do wish it would have gotten a few more episodes to develop it more, but overall I was pleasantly surprised.
Jan 6, 2013 5:25 PM
Mar 2011
jeez its not that bad
sure the story was a bit rushed

tiz dying for zagi is not bad
Zagi reject everyone, even when there are people who want to be his friends
after this, hopefully he'll think differently
this is something zagi needed, he didn't really have the will to live
tiz is a kind person and she is not just a girl who loves thor
zagi is probably alive in the end because of her
besides, tiz consideres zagi, thor's friend

as for thor, of course he's not going to die because he didn't get surgery
he is the strongest, the product of the genes of all those kings
Jan 12, 2013 4:00 PM

Jan 2013
Definitely felt like a series that could have benefited from more episodes but I really enjoyed it regardless. Just sat through it all this evening. I felt that the ending did seem a bit rushed, especially when it came to explaining the conclusion/aftermath. I'd have liked them to have went into a little more depth I guess but it wasn't a major issue by any means.

I'm new to anime but I'd probably give this an 8 or 9 out of 10.

I picked up this series because I saw it going for £8 on Amazon and thought I'd take a chance on it. Money well spent if you ask me.
Jan 28, 2013 11:23 AM
Dec 2011
What a rather tragic ending. It's as if everyone he cared about died.. and for what?

It would have been nice to see more of Zagi at the end, since Tiz sacrificed herself for him.

Overall, it was a good series.
Feb 9, 2013 7:37 AM
Feb 2013
i thought the show was good but i feel as if it was rushed at the end i meen really did you have to kill off all your starter characters.......i was looking forward to an alternant ending
Mar 4, 2013 6:12 PM
Aug 2012
this was a gd series i felt that it was well paced and that it didnt rlly need much more length. if it went in to more depth it wld have ended with even more questions unanswered

wat happens to zagi after all he is down a giant chasm or do we assume tht he was never rescued?
does thor give his dna in the end or not, its not shown or commented about, after he says he will because he wants to die, before the president is shot.

i felt sorry for tiz that she was lead on for so long and then encouraged to keep her feelings and then becomes the conseltation prize to someone he jst meet.

sounds like i hate the show but i it kept me hooked and was prtty damn exciting now on to my next adventure

i dunno why people assume there special if they watch something in a day. 24 hrs -8 for sleep is a serious amount of time spare for anime when u have a free day ofc.
Apr 24, 2013 3:18 PM

Jan 2013
Such an awesome series..
Apr 28, 2013 8:41 PM

Nov 2012
Hari said:
I really enjoyed alot of this series but in the last 3 or 4 episodes it just got SUPER dumb.

Thor likes Karin
"Zagi" kills Karin so Thor tries to kill Zagi
But then we see its Third who killed Karin and Thor says 'oh well, no problem, now help me get off this spaceship'

And then the Tiz swapsy thing - and her dying for no reason other then they want a 'tragic' ending and the Earth getting destroyed for no reason other than to make Third kill himslef and......ugghhh

First 7 episodes = 8/10

But the last 4 make it a 6/10

^ Agreed. The last few episodes were very lackluster and kinda ruined an otherwise enjoyable series. It just gets too ridiculous...one minute Thor is all "I love you like I would a sister" towards Tiz and then later he's like "let's start a family" - and then Tiz dies for no reason...I mean wtf? I had bad feeling the last episode would piss me off and it did. And then another time leap at the end? Ugh, there was just no sense of closure.

So much potential here, this should have been a full 26 episode series...oh well. Although I really disliked the last few episodes, I enjoyed watching it for the most part.
Apr 30, 2013 9:39 PM

Jan 2013
The thing is the cover of the anime had Thor with tribal tattoos and a sword so I thought he was going to become a beast and kill alot of people but he stays the same person the entire series.

The cover is really misleading
Jun 27, 2013 9:37 PM

Jun 2009
This anime was very refreshing, I wasn't expecting it to be this good. But I think it should've been longer.
I just didn't like how Thor fell in love with Karim THAT fast.
The ending made me sad. Third was my favorite ;_;
Also, great OP and ED songs.

8/10
Aug 19, 2013 9:55 PM

Jul 2012
I really liked the first 6 or 7 episodes, until the whole Thor and Karim thing. After that I thought it went downhill. The "romance" between Thor and Karim felt not only forced and unnatural, but completely pointless as well. They could have still done the whole "Thor loving Tiz as a sister" thing. Having Karim in there only made it feel more contrived.

I also really disliked the ending. Everyone Thor cared about died, but there was no meaning to their deaths. I've read comments that say they were expecting a sad ending, or that it was fitting. A sad ending may have been fitting, but not this sad ending. This sad ending made me rage because it was so stupid and felt so forced. I also don't think that, just because a show is serious and has the potential for a sad ending, it has to go that route.

Jyu Oh Sei just really seemed to fall apart for me shortly after the halfway mark, mainly because of all the contrived, meaningless crap thrown in. It completely ruined what had been a very enjoyable show up to that point.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Jan 21, 2014 7:29 PM

Dec 2010
good anime, classic irritating ending. people can talk all they want about being happy it wasn't a "everything happy ending". the ending shouldn't have to be happy or sad, it should just be good and make sense.

Tiz dying was beyond irritating. it served no purpose. Took a bullet for that pos? please. makes no sense. At least let Thor die, irritating MC for the most part.

again the need to not be a "fairy tale" end detracts from an otherwise enjoyable show.
Apr 21, 2014 8:26 AM
Dec 2012
That was a horrible ending.

I understand why people hate the character of Tiz- she was so unfairly devoted to Thor and 'weak'. But I like to view that as virtue and strength and I couldn't help but love her character while hating her characterisation. Her death is deeply affecting- so off-hand and utterly pointless and empty. She deserved better.

Thor was an underwhelming character. He started off as a feisty child with big charisma and passion. After the time shift he was just a broody, mellow figure who only became passionate for Karimu. And the whole 'I'll call you Tiz' rubbish at the end- it seems to make light of her feelings and sacrifice for him.

The scene where Karimu and Thor are trapped in the caverns and realise their mutual love is an imitation of the scene in Berserk between Caska and Guts. There was no chemistry between them, no history. The significance given to 'beauty' was shallow.

The characterisation of the women in general has me irate. Cheng had the potential to be a great character (as did Tiz) and they were both reduced to being haplessly devoted the men while being inferior and not having anything of their own to give them worth besides that they can bear children- and even that was screwed up since it was the women who were desperate to bear children while the men waved their advances off in a cool manner.

The plot progressively unravelled after the time skip. The attempt at shocking the audience by making everything a lie... which was within a lie... which operated on everyone being lied to by each other to varying degrees was not a bad idea but it was so horribly executed.

So much of the ending was frustratingly pointless. No doubt- this was an entertaining watch but it fails to leave a clear impression on me and really does seem to self-implode.
g0i5yApr 21, 2014 8:31 AM
Oct 17, 2014 4:33 PM

Mar 2013
Really great start, the 1st 5-6 episodes were really good however the show got real crappy after the time skip, the forced romance, drama bullshit really killed it and the ending overall was disappointing and rushed , still enjoyable but very disappointing
Jan 2, 2015 7:20 AM

Nov 2009
Monochrome said:
What really annoyed me is that Zagi wasn't shown again.
This. They resolved it for almost all the important and semi-important characters but not for Zagi... now I'm dying to know what happened to him... it'd be a real waste if he died now, because after Karim's death and Tiz sacrificing herself for him, we should've seen him reformed and by Thor's side, as I see it.

Kind of glad there was no romance between Thor and Tiz in the end, because it never felt more than very one-sided love of a naive girl, and after Thor outright said he loved her only as a little sister, the thought of them actually becoming a couple was a bit too much for me, and probably for the creators as well, since they killed her off.

UPD: OK, so I went to take a look at the manga. Gotta say, this adaptation is pretty faithful, but of course, not without some cut and shortened things, especially when it comes to explanations. In the manga, for example, we get a bit more of an explanation as to the rules of the Wildling nest, and about the rings and differentiating based on skin colors. Also, in the manga it's a lot more clear why Thor thought of Zagi as a friend, while in the anime the watcher isn't quite convinced why the sudden fondness, since the related scenes got cut out here and there.

Oh, and the manga has a lot more hardcore shounen-ai vibe between Zagi and Thor: Zagi can't quite keep his hands to himself whenever he's near Thor, and Thor doesn't quite mind it, so Karim's hysteria about Zagi choosing Thor as his partner makes more sense. Even the Third misunderstands the two's relationship at first until Thor assures him that "Zagi did nothing like that to me, so don't get ideas."
CGJan 19, 2015 11:09 AM
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 26, 2015 2:24 PM

Mar 2012
Ian_K's review for this show was spot-on.

"The setting and ideas have it easy, though. The characters are the ones who really suffer, as the creators push them through rushed plot twist after rushed plot twist."

"This is not a character-driven anime. Rather, the plot is in control, cracking its whip and forcing the characters through one unnatural contortion after another."

"Still, despite all this, it manages to maintain a modicum of interest - up until Ninja Chick is introduced, in a forced attempt at a love triangle. Their is no chemistry to the relationship, however, and it only serves to dry up whatever enthusiasm the viewer has for the finale."

"Another complaint is the misogyny present. Despite the fact that the original work was written by a woman, the story is far from feminist. Oh sure, on the surface stuff like "Women have the absolute right to choose their mates!" sounds all pro-Grrl, but the truth is that all our supposedly strong female characters are completely dependent on men by the end of the show (or dead)."

Overall, this series had a lot of potential, but the dreadful pacing brutalized the characters. Ever since Karim (the plot device) was introduced, the series plummeted in depth and was no longer enjoyable to me. Everything after that point seemed to be forced and unnatural.
Mar 30, 2015 6:54 AM

Aug 2013
I really liked this anime but I'm confused.
Tiz took the bullet and they both fell. I get that.
Tiz died. I get that too.

But what about Zagi? Did he survive in the end? Can somebody explain it to me?
Mar 30, 2015 10:31 AM
Feb 2013
Does anybody know where I can read the Manga for this? I've tried a number of Manga sites and they don't have it. I would normally buy it as I have the money too, and that way the creator gets some money for it, however, the Manga was released by Tokyopop who are no longer around and it hasn't been picked up by anyone else in English so getting it 'brand new' or even 'used' for that matter would be difficult :)
Jun 25, 2015 9:01 AM

Mar 2013
so what happened to Zagi?
Oct 29, 2015 7:07 AM

Apr 2009
Kaoreen said:
so what happened to Zagi?

He's still alive.

The first half was really great. How I wish they maintained the pace for only 11 episodes. They should made this one longer. 6/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2016 12:04 PM

Nov 2013
well, that was one fucked up tragedy.

a thor-turned-third-lolicon-rebounder XD

( did zagi lived?! )
Jan 6, 2016 12:15 PM

Nov 2013
Based on earlier posts, the majority liked this show. well I'm a devil's advocate so;

the first part ( before the major time skip ) was good. wished it stayed that way and expounded on other things more. The second part? the second part was suicidal. It was bad. Bad as guilty crown. Forced romance, forced drama, illogical choices, inconsistent character personalities ( some have no personalities ) and super thick plot armor.

TLDR; good beginning, very very bad second half and ending.

Do I recommend it? No. But if you want to kill time and have some laughs then do so.
May 16, 2016 8:20 PM

Dec 2012
Phew, that was certainly...wow. What a way to end it. Clashing between the chaotic despair that was ensuing and the hope that those who survive will cling onto. What Chen says at the end best describes the irony of the whole situation. That it was because Juno, the so called preserver of humanity, was ended that the people of Chimaera could be freed of the power struggles and given hope for their own future.

I would definitely say the main theme I took away from Jyu Oh Sei is what it means to maintain one's humanity. It was all too ironic how the Beast Kings were actually more humane than those working in Juno to create a new mankind. On the other side of it, however, this series also reveals how humans can become the most vicious and malevolent of beasts.

There were certainly moments of existential crisis, both in Thor and Third's own purposes for being. I like the answer that Thor came up with, that even if their entire lives are built on lies, that they should push forward and see that lie through regardless. It really resonated with the questions I've had in regards to my own life and purpose.

I'm satisfied with how this turned out, but I was especially immersed into the tribal culture of survival back in the first half of the series. The focus on Karim felt like the weakest aspect and there were areas where, given one or two more episodes, might have left a stronger overall impact. I have to admit I thought the opening was alluding to Rai surviving as a soldier of Juno, so it wasn't until that theory was blown out of the water that his death finally sank in. Then there's Tiz's death. Honestly that did piss me off, most especially because I was spoiled about it. She deserved far better. I just hope Lil Tiz fairs better. Also can I just say that with age Thor just becomes cooler and cooler. I guess it's suggested but the skin color change was a result of his DNA evolving to combat his short life span.

Thor's existential journey of seeking answers was certainly fascinating. It was the great irony of finding out the truth that made him treasure the life he carved out for himself on Chimaera. Sometimes the things most precious to us only reveal themselves when the paths we were so fixated on prior are closed off.

8.5/10, definitely a fine pick for something I went with on a whim.
Oct 22, 2016 1:09 PM

Sep 2016
Really enjoyable and underrated anime IMO. I was hoping for happy ending with Tiz, but instead I got another tragedy of an anime ending. Reminded me a lot of Wolf's Rain.

However, I would have liked to find out what ever happened Zagi, and who/why was Colin killed?.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2017 9:49 PM

Jul 2011
Honestly what was the point of Karim then. Tiz literally died for Zagi, could've made a love triangle right there?

I liked the ending's idea, but the execution was terrible. I think it would've faired well with 1-2 more episodes. First half of the series was great, but once it got to 2nd timeskip/ Karim drama it just went downhill. :X

Well I got something better than I expected, so I guess that counts for something. The OP will be forever remembered.
I really wanted more tribal warfare type stuff though, with more worldbuilding. That would've been really nice.
Mar 20, 2017 2:09 PM

Sep 2014
Surprisingly despite it being rushed and having many flaws, it was oddly very enjoyable.

I think if this anime had 2 cours rather than one they could've really fleshed out everything. It had potentially to really be great.

Like I said, despite everything that was wrong with this series, I was never once bored. I really enjoyed the journey.
Sep 5, 2017 3:33 AM

Oct 2015
I for one think it was horrible and tasteless with obnoxious characters, worst anime ever and I tolerated almost every anime. I did not like one bit of it and I almost dropped it and I don't drop anime. The MC Thor was a shit of a character along with Zagi, Third and Tiz. Dont get me started about the plot, it was all over the place next we here and then we were there stupid anime. 2/10 baby is well deserved and suits like an armour.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 16, 2019 8:06 AM

Oct 2017
MelloRed said:
That show had so much promise and they blew it all in the last few episodes. Tiz's death was completely pointless and Thor seeing her at the end was pure cheese. As Betnik said, they could have at least shown Thor and Zagi together afterward to make it meaningful.

The instant love of Karim was way too sudden to be believable. That at least needed an episode to provide more motivation there. It seemed like Karim was created only to show the ruthlessness of Third in his plan and provide motivation for Thor to fight Zagi. Both of those could have been done in a much more believable way. Plus Thor then changing his mind about a day after Karim's death and telling Tiz he would have children with her made it seem even more pointless.

Also, Third was sent down to make him the Beast King no matter what. Why do that if their goal was to see if he could survive the harsh environment? Why rig your own test? Also, why did they send his brother down with him. Maybe it was an extra test, but given they wanted to help him, having him killed with his parents would have provided greater motivation. Having him feel sorry about his brother also made him weaker early on.

puedjies said:
I strongly dislike unrealistic anime where no one dies even though they're facing a crisis. Jyu-Oh-Sei got things right.

I agree with this. The problem is most of the deaths weren't due to the crisis. If some of the main characters died throughout due to the environment, conflicts with other rings, rebellion within his ring, or whatever else that would have been realistic. That can be used as motivation for other main characters or to just show the harsh realities of the world. Here we have:

Tiz dying to stop a bullet from some random dude that popped up to kill Zagi. She didn't trust this guy until maybe a day ago. She hasn't shown the want or complete understanding of saving others throughout the show. Her death will be harder on Thor than Zagi's. Yet she still sacrifises herself? Maybe if Thor hadn't changed his mind on being with her, I could believe she'd recklessly do it for Thor. As is, I don't buy it though.

Third is about to get out with him and just happens to get knocked off and put in a situation to sacrafise himself. I guess they are showing how much he means to those around him, but another completely pointless death.

Agreed with the above pretty much
Tiz dying for a man she didn't love instead of thor who she does love?
Thor loving that other girl instead of tiz for like an episode.
And third dying because he fell at the last moment and if thor can adapt why didn't he adapt to save third?

These three things ruined the show and made it an 8.
Very well, very great show told in just 11 episodes, however it could of benefited from 16 or even just 1 more at 12 to give a little extra or at least give the characters a good death. If they would of died any other way but the bullshit ways they did it could of been acceptable as a tragic ending but at this rate you have people you don't like including oden living, and people you actually had some liking to die?
Tiz should of lived I think just because of all the bullshit she dealt with, but if they would of killed her she should of died some other way or they could of had zagi see thor and be like, she loved you bro or something dumb. Still dumb, great show up until the last five minutes.

Yeah could of been a 9 or even a 10 had they just put in the effort to write a better ending and structure and spruce it up a bit. Also, what the hell? He turned into third? Even if its a tribute its dumb and his earrings make less sense, who the hell wore the green earrings? And why is he wearing zagis?
It gets a 7-8 out of me though.... Still worth keeping but probably will never watch it again unless with my kid one day maybe once in more in my life lol. As a lesson for what not to do when writing an ending for a story. Seems japan can never get a good ending at least not very often.
GodOfWolvesMar 16, 2019 8:37 AM
Apr 14, 2020 9:15 PM
Dec 2019
Standard Bones writing. So many plot devices, so contrived. They did have a little something going there with the whole need for survival vs humanity thing, but I'm not sure if the premise and characters ever allowed the exploration of this theme beyond what's been done a million times before.
Jul 20, 2020 1:28 AM
May 2020
Started off as a good show, it had an interesting plot. Towards the last four episodes everything just went downhill for me. Starting with the introduction of the character Karin and Thor just casting Tiz aside as well as Tiz dying. I think maybe it's possible for these to have been executed better if they had more time, everything felt too rushed to have a good flow or feel organic. I do like the mystery of the series, and the truth behind Third's past was interesting. And I'm definitely not one of those people who needs an everything ends happy conclusion, but the way that everyone died just felt so forced and unnecessary. Like they were just killed off just for the sake of "tragedy". What I mean is their deaths really didn't do anything to further the plot, and as I said earlier, definitely didn't feel natural. All in all, this show had a promising start, and maybe if it could've gone a bit longer it would've ended in a good way too.
Feb 2, 2022 9:42 AM

Jun 2020
This was one more awesome anime from Bones. The world building was awesome every episode were able to hook me with the story.

A 9/10 anime for me.
Apr 13, 2023 12:48 AM

Dec 2019
Tiz got the rough side of the stick through this entire show... That was pretty bizarre.

For being 11 episodes, it was good. OP and ED are bangers.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How is it shoujo ?

IsekaiNekko - Jul 12, 2021

7 by RobertBobert »»
Sep 3, 2023 12:32 PM

Poll: » Jyu Oh Sei Episode 10 Discussion

nehnehneji - Dec 28, 2008

18 by Akkuzii »»
Apr 13, 2023 12:12 AM

Poll: » Jyu Oh Sei Episode 1 Discussion

HaiAlwaysHungry - Dec 26, 2008

21 by Bunille »»
Dec 9, 2022 12:45 PM

Poll: » Jyu Oh Sei Episode 9 Discussion

20 by Gutzdeep42 »»
Jul 4, 2022 5:50 PM

Poll: » Jyu Oh Sei Episode 8 Discussion

26 by Gutzdeep42 »»
Jul 4, 2022 5:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.