Forum Settings
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2020 9:36 AM

Feb 2018
THIS IS A NOVEL ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS VOLUME.
----------------------------------------
at least this becomes an interesting transfer student, is it only me who likes the Miko girl?

Oliver is a vegetarian? Are you serious, lol. The Magic Palace Kimberly - It's difficult enough to justify "what kind of existence" this huge and extremely eccentric magic building is. Even the specialized graduate students on campus occasionally disagree, and there is even a separate academic field called "Kimberly Structural Studies". Kimberly's appearance is more of a fortress than a school, and because of its ornate façade and soaring spire, the current prevailing opinion is that Kimberly adopted the Cigan style popular in the eighth century. There are at least 20 large halls on campus, and more than 300 small rooms, and the number of rooms not only increases or decreases daily, but sometimes even "discover" new rooms. The size of the exterior and the volume of the interior are clearly inconsistent - but that's nothing compared to the myriad of mysterious monsters this palace contains.

Oliver stared at the clock's text disk in a gloom and noticed some "little creatures" clutching the hour and minute hands. The creatures were translucent, with a pair of what looked like wings or fins growing on their slender bodies. The young man nodded his head in a flash of realization. Perhaps it was a bit of a bad sleep, the blanket Pete had covered himself with had fallen near his stomach. After putting on his uniform and inserting his cane sword, Oliver was careful not to wake up his roommate and re-blanket him – he wanted to get along with this difficult roommate. Although Pete made no secret of the subtlety of his expression yesterday when he learned that the two had been assigned to the same room.

After getting a rough idea of the exterior of the building, Oliver turned his attention to the garden between the girls' dormitory. There are no plants and trees in the garden, but instead there are several small fountains around a large fountain, which is a place for conversation with chaise lounge around it. In addition to allow students to interact with each other across grade levels, the place is also used as a meeting place for couples to meet up. Arriving at the central fountain, Oliver began to look around at the other six small fountains and spotted human figures at one of them. He looked over there curiously, then was immediately startled.

From there came the sound of water splashing. The eastern girl draws water from the fountain in a basin and dumps it repeatedly on her head - she pulls her blouse down to her waist, leaving her upper body naked. As soon as Nanao spotted Oliver, he waved at him. Oliver immediately rushed to the girl's side with all his might, then turned around and raised his cane sword, chanting a spell at the boys' dormitory. The space in front was suddenly and gradually dyed black, hiding the two figures like a cloth curtain. Witnessing the magic up close made Nanao exclaim in surprise.

Even though he was feeling shaken, Oliver maintained his masking magic and shouted at the person behind him.Many questions came up in the teenager's mind one after another, but he couldn't ask any of them. What exactly is this fight she's talking about? What on earth did a young girl of her own age go through to be so wounded? What had happened in her hometown before coming here - they were not familiar enough to ask such questions.

Even so, the teenager still couldn't take his eyes off of it. The bones and muscles that move underneath the scarred skin, the strong and supple flesh that is exercised through unrelenting practice, and the clean magic that continues to circulate within. In these few seconds, Oliver vaguely glimpses the background that makes up all this - the straightforward and honest personality of the young girl.
Dec 3, 2020 4:04 PM

Jan 2016

OK, it's been a while since I've read a new LN that I enjoyed as much as this!

WTF this was absolutely amazing! The world is really intresting and reminds me a lot about Harry Potter, which isn't the norm for LNs.

An endearing main cast of which 3 already have managed to have good enough growth to last them for a couple of volumes.

Plenty of twists throughput the book but the twist at the end was amazing to say the least. Now I really can't wait for the next volume to arrive in March!

Also I have to say, Bokuto's writing style is a pleasure to read!
Dec 27, 2020 5:44 AM
Sep 2016
It was okay, the world-building is interesting, it did bring back similar feelings to reading Harry Potter which was cool but it didn't hold up to the same level of quality.
There is plenty of potentials, the characters are interesting, and their introductions are well done but the development after that feels rushed: like the Japanese girl doing a 360 on her life values because of a quick discussion with people she just met. Moreover, it's disappointing that only the girls get developed, and, unfortunately, it seems to be taking the harem route. The main cast also feels a bit bland compare to the secondary character but there's hope for some interesting development there.

But I think my biggest problem is the spellblades, instant death was already a problem in Harry Potter and I can't see it going well here either, quite the opposite in fact, considering that it already took all the tension out of the last 2 fights of that vol.
May 27, 2021 6:00 AM
Sep 2019
Not going to lie somethings in here are so close to Harry potter and the sorcerers stone (fighting a troll, the prejudice against students with non-magical backgrounds, and a school that can literally kill you). Really though most of these things are done in ways differently than in harry potter. I first suspected katie to be a hermione and guy to be ron; while their dynamic is similar they are pretty different. Also, the story itself seems to focus on the corruption and highly questionable morals of the staff at kimberly. I know mages are supposed to be heartless in this series, but jeez they really went all in on this. I'm a fan of uno's other work Tenkyou no Aldermin, the fact this book is like 80% dialogue is more than surprising.
Also Kimberly is wack name.
Dec 21, 2021 9:32 AM
Jul 2019
80% of the volume was nothing to write home about but that twist at the end was nice, although I already expected it. Oliver without the ending part was a very bland character. You gotta wonder how the author will make it interesting, and they gave us that. Plus I already saw the tags for this novel in Novel Updates so I prepared myself for what's to come, and they weren't wrong. There is a revenge story to this.

My only complaint about this volume is the probably the same for people who've read it and that's the character development, specifically Nanao. This girl spent all her life fighting wars, killing people which led her to ending it all through fighting someone stronger. All of that crumbled because some people she barely knew talked her out of it. They basically told her "Go change, because we're you're friends" and she was like, "Okay". That felt rushed and unrealistic.

Next is that there's no tension to the fights at all because enemies will either be healed with magic regardless of how severe it is or die instantly because of OP spellblades. This gives the fights no purpose and serves as an excuse to prolong the plot.

Overall it's a decent start.
Feb 20, 2022 5:07 AM

May 2014
I read this a while ago, but a belated post is better than never.

A very solid fakeout intro. The intro segment is pretty convincing, and you would not be faulted for assuming that Oliver is a generic, morally perfect protagonist. The main twist has also stealthily been located in the epilogue, even though it is the most important part. It goes to show you that you have to read until the last few pages.

The title also carries a double meaning. The obvious is the literal one, and the less obvious one refers to the seven instructors who reign over the academy.

It's also worth noting that the narration can be eloquent sometimes, and has a very broad vocabulary. I had to google a few words here and there because I wasn't familiar with some of the more archaic terms.

The debate on speciesism (the rights of demi-humans), while not a philosophical masterpiece, was pretty solid by novel standards.
TheDeedsOfMenFeb 20, 2022 5:20 AM
Nov 27, 2023 2:53 AM

Dec 2013
I read this after watching the anime and it goes into way more detail about the mentality of mages in this world and how twisted they often are which is something I really appreciated.

The ending does a good job of hooking you and making you want to read more.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Volume 8 Discussion

luinthoron - Aug 10, 2023

3 by G_Spark233 »»
Apr 3, 9:47 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Volume 7 Discussion

G_Spark233 - Mar 5

1 by BrotherDarius »»
Mar 5, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Volume 6 Discussion

G_Spark233 - Feb 10

1 by BrotherDarius »»
Feb 10, 8:58 AM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Volume 5 Discussion

G_Spark233 - Jan 19

1 by BrotherDarius »»
Jan 19, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Chapter 4 Discussion

G_Spark233 - Jan 2

0 by G_Spark233 »»
Jan 2, 4:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.