Forum Settings
Forums

Rise of Woke Animes (and Opinions about it??)

New
Jun 24, 2020 10:20 PM

Aug 2016
If you're paying attention to the current seasonal animes (I don't anymore, but I did last year), you'll see the rise of woke animes (yeah I know this "woke" animes already exists for decades already), what's your thoughts about this sudden influx of woke animes, for me it's fine as long as it's decent, but I have yet to watch a decent/good woke show (p.s. I haven't watched the trans show in the early 10s, or those other shows from 80s and 90s).
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
Professional Supreme Gentleman - 恋人はあなたが選んだ兄弟です
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeElitism/ (AnimeElitism Reddit)
https://discord.gg/4kdGsFG (Dead Discord)
2静か先生88#7307
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 24, 2020 10:23 PM
Jul 2018
Could you please first define what a, "woke" anime is?
Jun 24, 2020 10:23 PM

May 2013
What is a woke anime and which ones did you think were woke anime? SENSEI PLZ?!
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 24, 2020 10:27 PM

Jul 2013
Goes into thread and expects to learn what a woke anime is, but doesn't learn. Please what is a woke anime?
Jun 24, 2020 10:32 PM

Jan 2020
Okay...... And what is a "woke" anime again?
Jun 24, 2020 10:33 PM

Jun 2017
Shizuka-sensei, is that the language of gods?
Jun 24, 2020 10:37 PM

Jul 2017
Woke anime? Is Jamie Marchi opening her third eye with her scripts again? lol

Jun 24, 2020 10:45 PM

May 2016
The whole 'woke' thing is annoying in general, much like all the other 'social movements' of the past couple decades. it's not that their cause is bad, it's that that go about things in such a boorishly childish manner. Just my opinion.

As far as anime that tackle such issues, I'm fine with them so long as they don't get too preachy. Anime (and most movies and shows in general) are for entertainment, not forcing ideals and opinions down other people's throats. Again, just my opinion. 😋
If you disagree with any thoughts or opinions expressed in the above post, you're wrong and I hate you forever!
Jun 24, 2020 10:49 PM

Apr 2019
Fortunately anime is a Japanese production, and the new wokist religion hasnt taken off there quite as much as it has in the West. And lets hope it stays that way.
Bleach is best consumed with your ears open and your eyes closed.
Jun 24, 2020 10:49 PM

Oct 2019
sensei, when you are talking about "woke" anime, are you talking about anime that comes out and tackles political/social events? I do not understand what the term woke is
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jun 24, 2020 10:58 PM

May 2015
If you think that an anime is "woke" just because there are trans, traps or gay characters in it then I guess you are wrong, an avarage japanese doesn't care much about woke culture, those type of characters are there most of the time only as fetishes, sexual dream materials and the like. But aside from those I think there are some anime that could be called "woke" in the sense that they creators were influenced by the western woke culture like for example Carole and Tuesday.
IshitatesoJun 25, 2020 12:00 AM
Jun 24, 2020 11:03 PM
Jan 2012
I'd really like to know what OP thinks being woke is. Pretty sure the woke crowd would HATE this upcoming season, just for the fact that Kanojo, Okarishimasu has an anime coming out very soon, at least from the little I know of it.
Jun 24, 2020 11:08 PM

Nov 2019
Ishitateso said:
If you think that an anime is "woke" just because there are trans, traps or gay characters in it then I guess you are wrong, an avarage japanese don't care much about woke culture, those type of characters are there most of the time only as fetishes, sexual dream materials and the like. But aside from those I think there are some anime that could be called "woke" in the sense that they creators were influenced by the western woke culture like for example Carole and Tuesday.

Can you point out the woke things in C&T?
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jun 24, 2020 11:15 PM

Apr 2015
Expecting that everyone knows what woke is?
Jun 24, 2020 11:15 PM

Aug 2016
2shizukasensei88 said:
If you're paying attention to the current seasonal animes (I don't anymore, but I did last year), you'll see the rise of woke animes (yeah I know this "woke" animes already exists for decades already), what's your thoughts about this sudden influx of woke animes, for me it's fine as long as it's decent, but I have yet to watch a decent/good woke show (p.s. I haven't watched the trans show in the early 10s, or those other shows from 80s and 90s).

Edit: Woke Anime (from my definition): Anime that PANDERS into woke culture, not just because they're gay characters in it. Example: Stars Align, Carole and Tuesday, Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-dono yo, and etc.
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
2静か先生88#7307
Jun 24, 2020 11:16 PM

Feb 2019
OnionKnightRises said:
I'd really like to know what OP thinks being woke is. Pretty sure the woke crowd would HATE this upcoming season, just for the fact that Kanojo, Okarishimasu has an anime coming out very soon, at least from the little I know of it.
Why the hell would they hate kanojo okarishimasu?
Jun 24, 2020 11:17 PM

May 2016
What woke anime is there? I rarely ever see gay people or black people still so.... none?
I'll count shit art online since the asshole who wrote that caved to the outage mob over the rape scene and even got on his knees and apologized to the voice actors...
Jun 24, 2020 11:20 PM

Aug 2016
OnionKnightRises said:

By sudden rises, I didn't mean that every season will be full of woke shows, what I mean is we're getting more and more of it.
2静か先生88#7307
Jun 24, 2020 11:21 PM

May 2018
Another term, like SJW or elitist which internet uses to put in one basket people who are genuinely trying to do something good, idiots who are mishandling it and abusers.

Can the OP at least give some examples of "woke anime"?

PS
"Stars Align, Carole and Tuesday...".
Yeah, the OP uses "woke" as I suspected, nothing wrong with those titles.
alshuJun 24, 2020 11:24 PM
Jun 24, 2020 11:23 PM
Jan 2012
cythraul said:
OnionKnightRises said:

Woke people (the obnoxious ones at least) already have an iffy relationship with harem anime, and from what I've heard the main character of Kanojo, Okarishimasu is an unlikable ass but still gets women dogpiling him. This is just my first impression from seeing that initial reddit thread that announced it getting an anime and people shitting on the main character getting a shit ton of upvotes, but I will stand by that woke people probably wouldn't care for the anime. I might have been exaggerating by saying they'd hate it though.

2shizukasensei88 said:
OnionKnightRises said:

By sudden rises, I didn't mean that every season will be full of woke shows, what I mean is we're getting more and more of it.

But like, I'm still not seeing it though. What woke anime are you seeing that we aren't? I'm not completely saying you're wrong and maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but we'd like to have some examples. Anything woke like diversity and LGBTQ+ involved anime seem to be the exact same now as it was years ago.
Jun 24, 2020 11:26 PM

Feb 2019
OnionKnightRises said:
cythraul said:

Woke people (the obnoxious ones at least) already have an iffy relationship with harem anime, and from what I've heard the main character of Kanojo, Okarishimasu is an unlikable ass but still gets women dogpiling him. This is just my first impression from seeing that initial reddit thread that announced it getting an anime and people shitting on the main character getting a shit ton of upvotes, but I will stand by that woke people probably wouldn't care for the anime. I might have been exaggerating by saying they'd hate it though.
I think anime as a medium is already degenerate enough for any extreme woke to be into it. The people you saw are most probably normies lurking around because anime community loved asshole MCs last time I checked.
Jun 24, 2020 11:26 PM

May 2015
Laplace_kun said:
Ishitateso said:
If you think that an anime is "woke" just because there are trans, traps or gay characters in it then I guess you are wrong, an avarage japanese doesn't care much about woke culture, those type of characters are there most of the time only as fetishes, sexual dream materials and the like. But aside from those I think there are some anime that could be called "woke" in the sense that they creators were influenced by the western woke culture like for example Carole and Tuesday.

Can you point out the woke things in C&T?

If I remember correctly it dealt with themes like migration, minority oppression among other things and in general with some of its characters (Desmond f.e.) it felt to be on the verge of a left-leaning product that reflects on the things that has been happening in the USA for the last few years. Don't get me wrong I didn't say that it was a woke anime, just that its creators were clearly influenced by that kind of thinking. An other thing is that I am not american so all I know about the woke culture has come through a filter to me so it could be that I misinterpret it.
IshitatesoJun 25, 2020 6:26 AM
Jun 24, 2020 11:27 PM

Dec 2017
Are "woke" animes something like this?

If so then i dont think there have been any rise of them.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Jun 24, 2020 11:38 PM
Jan 2012
cythraul said:
OnionKnightRises said:

I think anime as a medium is already degenerate enough for any extreme woke to be into it. The people you saw are most probably normies lurking around because anime community loved asshole MCs last time I checked.

Oh I guess there's kind of a miscommunication here. I just don't really see many of the woke people really being part of the anime community, most of them generally are normies, woke culture isn't that prevalent here in the anime community because, like you said, most of us are used to this shit now. I have two sisters, yet anime has made me indifferent about incest.
Jun 24, 2020 11:51 PM

May 2009
The irony of complaining about "woke" anime is that such a complaint neglects the fact that anime has featured since forever ago, and continues to feature, many storylines that emphasize the humanity and dignity of characters who'd typically be considered misfits in their settings, and finds them a place of acceptance.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 24, 2020 11:53 PM

Jan 2009
do you mean SJW pandering anime? #StayWoke
Jun 25, 2020 12:17 AM
Jul 2018
Many old shojo and josei anime are so much filled with hyperfemininity that they make current woke culture seem like alt-right.
Jun 25, 2020 12:37 AM

Jun 2012
Yea there's a lot of Joke anime lately, because there's that one powerhouse country that'll slit your freedom if you say one good shit.
Jun 25, 2020 12:49 AM

Oct 2018
Beastars is probably the biggest offender I have ever seen for this.
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Jun 25, 2020 12:51 AM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
what in the ever flying fuck constitutes a "woke" anime?

I am forever your most devoted believer.

Jun 25, 2020 1:07 AM

Oct 2010
Literally the only not woke anime ever is Sleeping with Hinako
Jun 25, 2020 1:19 AM

Jun 2010
You seem confused - wok is chinese and chinese anime are called donghua. And yes there seem to be more and more every season.
Jun 25, 2020 1:20 AM

Apr 2010
Found a definition... I think (from here)

An anime being aware of issues of social justice, such as racism, misogyny, classism, ableism, and homophobia.

[list]
[*]If LGBT is included, it's there for ages... Though most of the time I watched, no one treated it badly (unless it was towards them specifically) Other kind of stuff... [*]Classism is usually in European animes (as in happening in Europe) or fantasy.
[*]I wouldn't say misogyny, but many shonens like to make stupid women. But it happens on other demographics too... There's always that character who hates women or men, but it works for both sides.
[*]Accent for that movie Koe no Katachi... I can't think of mush.

Jun 25, 2020 1:25 AM
Sep 2018
Woke???

Never heard it untill today. And yes I am pretty a-woke-n while writing.

If woke is LGBTQ, then I have to say JoJo exist for al long time.
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Jun 25, 2020 1:28 AM
Sep 2018
Asturaetus said:
You seem confused - wok is chinese and chinese anime are called donghua. And yes there seem to be more and more every season.

I am confused - is it Chinese or LGBTQ?
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Jun 25, 2020 1:30 AM

Jun 2010
Ciezul said:
I am confused - is it Chinese or LGBTQ?

Never been to a chinese restaurant? They use woks a lot.
Jun 25, 2020 1:38 AM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Thread locked for breaking Anime Discussion Rule 2:

"Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. This includes, but is not limited to:
a. picture collecting
b. random "xx vs. yy" (e.g. random anime/manga/character xx vs. random anime/manga/character yy)
c. gossiping about individuals (e.g. youtubers, channels/videos, MAL members, other sites' users, etc.)
d. personal storytelling, narration, ranting, and/or blog-style posts; these topics only encourage a one-way discussion where members are commenting on the poster's idea, and should be posted using blog feature instead"

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Today

20 by Oofmastre9000 »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

20 by AverageRiceFan »»
10 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 2 hours ago

3 by AverageRiceFan »»
14 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

196 by ISeeLifePeople »»
28 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.