Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 22, 2020 1:53 AM

May 2016
Seriously you give Precure, Kamen Rider and Super Sentai a try but the not the YGO spin-offs any chance.

It’s kinda annoying how Duel Monsters completely overtook the the anime community and made the fans dislike the spin-offs for no reason only because DM had menny problems the spin-offs fixed over the year.The glorification of Yugioh “Season 0” is one of the weirdest things in fandom. There’s absolutely nothing about it that stands out.

Why do you dislike GX, 5D'S, ZEXAL, ARC-V, VRAINS AND SEVENS THAT MUCH?

Is nostalgia all that's left of the original series and nothing else?

Like, I know most people grew up with differnt shows, but c'mon atleast give them a chance. They don't have much respect as those i mention on the top
Jun 22, 2020 2:08 AM

Aug 2009
I mean, let's be real here for a second: The original Yu-Gi-Oh! anime was garbage too mainly because of 4Kids' censoring almost every little thing. We just didn't know any better until Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged, the original Japanese version, and Season 0.

Though as for the card game, pendulums still confuse me. Like, for pendulums level 5 and higher, do I need tributes in order to use them as spell cards? I'm old school so all I know are beat sticks and straight-forward effects, so go easy on me.

Jun 22, 2020 2:14 AM

Jun 2019
You made a similar thread not long ago, and a lot of people agreed that 5D's was one of the best. It is normal that the newer series featuring very young and sometimes stupid protagonists (Zexal) cannot attract easily the people who grew with heroes older than them. It is not about disliking, people simply move on and stop to care (after all new seasons are just here to sell cards, let's face it). You should not be too affected by that in my opinion (by the way, the new cards get more and more broken, so even the game may not be too exciting; I only know the summoning methods up to Zexal though).
Jun 22, 2020 3:00 AM

May 2016
Meusnier said:
You made a similar thread not long ago, and a lot of people agreed that 5D's was one of the best. It is normal that the newer series featuring very young and sometimes stupid protagonists (Zexal) cannot attract easily the people who grew with heroes older than them. It is not about disliking, people simply move on and stop to care (after all new seasons are just here to sell cards, let's face it). You should not be too affected by that in my opinion (by the way, the new cards get more and more broken, so even the game may not be too exciting; I only know the summoning methods up to Zexal though).

It just that both 5Ds and Arc V have several production problems (VA schedule, staff problems etc.), the latter even lack the happy ending that the counterparts deserve after all their tragedy and hardship. However, despite not being the best series (for some people), Zexal has solid story, consistence animation, has both light (comedy) and dark (drama) moments, little to no plot hole, and great ending.

Excluding the fact that no movie was made during the three years run, why didn't the series have any known production problem like the other two?

But the problem with most fans is that they refuse to watch the shows just to comment.
Jun 22, 2020 3:35 AM
Jul 2018
It's just not like I care for it anymore. I kinda liked it a lot as a kid or teen, but then it got sequel after sequel, while I didn't care for it anymore. I only have seen like 1/4 pf GX and 1/3 of 5Ds. Although i think 5Ds was quite good, but I somehow lost my interest.
Then I have seen here and there casually while eating or something, some of the new one on tv, since I didn't care to look it up regularly online, and the only thing I can say is that it had some atrocious CGI. 😅

Also I liked to play the card game with friends when I was a teen, but when I wanted to get back to it for the lols, there were such dumb changes and new additions within the game and new series, that I didn't care for learning the new rules anymore. It's not like I have been, or the others have been, so much into it to begin with, so when you make the rules more complicated and so different, I just don't care anymore.

FacelessVixen said:

Though as for the card game, pendulums still confuse me. Like, for pendulums level 5 and higher, do I need tributes in order to use them as spell cards? I'm old school so all I know are beat sticks and straight-forward effects, so go easy on me.

I don't know. I really don't and I'm too lazy to learn about them tbh.
In the German language there is this beautiful fun-made up-word called "verschlimmbessern". It means that you make something worse, while you tried making it better.

About the original:
- I had friends, who would actually play with me at that time, so I was more invested.
- I liked the monster designs.
- I was kinda emotionally invested in some characters, more than I could with the others. (I like Aki from 5ds tho and a bit Yuusei)
- I really liked the story about old egypt, that was something very new to me in an anime and I actually liked the season in old egypt.
(- I MAYBE had a little anime crush on Atemu as a teen, especially pharao Atemu lol)
removed-userJun 22, 2020 3:57 AM
Jun 22, 2020 4:12 AM

Jun 2019
SpeedRoidGenm said:
Meusnier said:

It just that both 5Ds and Arc V have several production problems (VA schedule, staff problems etc.), the latter even lack the happy ending that the counterparts deserve after all their tragedy and hardship. However, despite not being the best series (for some people), Zexal has solid story, consistence animation, has both light (comedy) and dark (drama) moments, little to no plot hole, and great ending.

Excluding the fact that no movie was made during the three years run, why didn't the series have any known production problem like the other two?

But the problem with most fans is that they refuse to watch the shows just to comment.

Zexal might be good, but I did not feel invested by the story and the MC, and even if I know that the story eventually get better, I do not really see a reason to continue now that I have started to watch different kind of anime that I like better.

I have no idea about the production issues you mentioned (5D's seemed OK to me).

There is really no problem with the fans since they are not really targeted by the new series which seem to aim at attracting a younger audience (young MC), the one that will buy overpriced pieces of cardboard. When you were 10 and looking at cool 17 years old characters, you could admire them easily (like Kaiba or Atem), but for people in their 20s, watching 12 years old kids who do not know the rules is not very interesting in my opinion (and, well, the game is not incredibly interesting honestly). There are simply so much better anime out there, and series with more than a hundred episodes are a turn off to many people.
Jun 22, 2020 4:30 AM

Dec 2016
Tbh Yugioh 5ds was the best and I consider it even better than the original, but most people don't give a chance to the other ones because they aren't that good.
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Jun 22, 2020 4:33 AM

Aug 2018
People don't want to admit they enjoyed a kids show unless they can say it was nostalgic
_______I like rocks__
Jun 22, 2020 7:51 AM

May 2016
FacelessVixen said:
I mean, let's be real here for a second: The original Yu-Gi-Oh! anime was garbage too mainly because of 4Kids' censoring almost every little thing. We just didn't know any better until Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged, the original Japanese version, and Season 0.

I'll take an entertaining trainwreck like Post-Dark Signer 5d's any day over gradual embarrassments like GX, ZEXAL, DM and Arc-v cast.

Meusnier said:
SpeedRoidGenm said:

Zexal might be good, but I did not feel invested by the story and the MC, and even if I know that the story eventually get better, I do not really see a reason to continue now that I have started to watch different kind of anime that I like better.

I have no idea about the production issues you mentioned (5D's seemed OK to me).

There is really no problem with the fans since they are not really targeted by the new series which seem to aim at attracting a younger audience (young MC), the one that will buy overpriced pieces of cardboard. When you were 10 and looking at cool 17 years old characters, you could admire them easily (like Kaiba or Atem), but for people in their 20s, watching 12 years old kids who do not know the rules is not very interesting in my opinion (and, well, the game is not incredibly interesting honestly). There are simply so much better anime out there, and series with more than a hundred episodes are a turn off to many people.

True.

The biggest reason Zexal was so divisive was because of the sudden and VERY drastic change in tone from 5D's, going form a grim story about humanity's self destructive nature and the idea of undoing past mistakes... to a childish collectathon for a wannabe Atem? The first few episodes certainly did not help that notion either. Granted Zexal did become more serious in the later half, but the damage from that initial reaction was done. Yuma's constant asspull cheating got old quick too.

I agree fully that the best thing Zexal did was blurring the line between good and evil. It's a good plot twist that the Astral World is actually the ones causing all the conflict out of arrogance while the Barians are acting in self defense. Zexal and Gx both have their fair share of problems and annoying fans that defend them while shitting on 5D'S post Dark-Signer. After the dark signers arc edgy fluff with no substance yusei was a blank slate with no personality protag, mary sue and loss no dues is what most people get pissed off with him but they their fine with childhs people like Yuma Judai being scoot free....?

Yugioh GX brought me to the game. Yugioh 5ds made me love the game. I also loved the idea of synchro summoning were weaker monsters tuning together to be stronger.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:
It's just not like I care for it anymore. I kinda liked it a lot as a kid or teen, but then it got sequel after sequel, while I didn't care for it anymore. I only have seen like 1/4 pf GX and 1/3 of 5Ds. Although i think 5Ds was quite good, but I somehow lost my interest.
Then I have seen here and there casually while eating or something, some of the new one on tv, since I didn't care to look it up regularly online, and the only thing I can say is that it had some atrocious CGI. 😅

Also I liked to play the card game with friends when I was a teen, but when I wanted to get back to it for the lols, there were such dumb changes and new additions within the game and new series, that I didn't care for learning the new rules anymore. It's not like I have been, or the others have been, so much into it to begin with, so when you make the rules more complicated and so different, I just don't care anymore.

FacelessVixen said:

I don't know. I really don't and I'm too lazy to learn about them tbh.
In the German language there is this beautiful fun-made up-word called "verschlimmbessern". It means that you make something worse, while you tried making it better.

About the original:
- I had friends, who would actually play with me at that time, so I was more invested.
- I liked the monster designs.
- I was kinda emotionally invested in some characters, more than I could with the others. (I like Aki from 5ds tho and a bit Yuusei)
- I really liked the story about old egypt, that was something very new to me in an anime and I actually liked the season in old egypt.
(- I MAYBE had a little anime crush on Atemu as a teen, especially pharao Atemu lol)

DM is boring, the game is boring at that point, Yugi is boring, the supporting cast is boring, everything is more melodramatic than the standard melodrama. Aside from nostalgia reasons I can’t watch it anymore. Not that it’s without it’s merits it just doesn’t have the things I like from the sequels(primarily GX and 5D’s)

@Meusnier I am gonna have to tag you in long post and hope you read it.For the record, there was so much drama that went on behind the scenes with 5D's that does't want to rest in peace by its own fans. There's how the VA for Carly got fired for being part of a cult, the rumor that Crow was only a main character because everyone loved the Blackwing cards, Akiza being less of a powerful force in season 2 and more of a "NOTICE ME YUSEI" kind of characte, it's...insane, really.The latter point is more due to the change in head writer and director, the former being chronically incapable of fleshing out or focusing on women beyond a very narrow scope (by his own admission, no less), and the latter having such a fixation on that accursed birdbrain that when he became the director of Arc-V, the same thing happened all over again with Crow stealing focus.

As annoying as Yoshida is, considering work he's done elsewhere, especially with many of DM and GX's more memorable moments, and the larger arc of Zexal, to me, Ono is the chief one to blame. We have him to blame for Aki (and other 5D's supporting cast) getting as little attention as she did and to blame for even the directly plot-relevant characters in Arc-V ceasing to matter. Frack. him.

5D's has always been my favourite YuGiOh era because it is the first season where the rules actually make sense, people battle with strategy and it is the most adult version of all YuGiOh seasons (with YUGiOh Vrains following closely). The events are serious and real life issues are the topic instead of silly jokes and too much otherworldly nonsense.

Yusei did have character development lol. People who say that clearly didn't watch the whole 5ds show. Yusei had fears and he wasn't perfect. He didn't have any parents and while he was a badass throughout, he still was mentally challenged. That's the flaw Yusei has. But he overcame that flaw, he overcame the fear.

Also, 5ds deals with Racism, Slavery, Child Soldiers, World class problems between Rich and poor, Sexual Harassment, Evil Cult of any kind trying to take over the world and many more.

5ds deals with real world problems and if you need someone to tell you everything is gonna be okay, Yusei is the right dude. Yusei grows from his mistakes and he acknowledged it when he lost to Jack off Screen and said he's not the same person he's fought before and he did beat Jack.

Leo had character development and so did Jack and even Akiza.

Yusei feared that he wasn't up to the task. He feared that if any of his friends die, its because of his fault. He fears that if the Energy Reactor activates again, everything will be destroyed. Yusei once saw his best friend Rally disappear and he said that he will destroy the Dark Signers once and for all after he was emotionally crying. Season 1 Yusei was great.

Season 2 Yusei was good but not as good as Season 1 Yusei.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
Koito91Jun 23, 2020 9:41 AM
Jun 22, 2020 9:32 AM

Jun 2019
SpeedRoidGenm said:
@Meusnier I am gonna have to tag you in long post and hope you read it.For the record, there was so much drama that went on behind the scenes with 5D's that does't want to rest in peace by its own fans. There's how the VA for Carly got fired for being part of a cult, the rumor that Crow was only a main character because everyone loved the Blackwing cards, Akiza being less of a powerful force in season 2 and more of a "NOTICE ME YUSEI" kind of characte, it's...insane, really.The latter point is more due to the change in head writer and director, the former being chronically incapable of fleshing out or focusing on women beyond a very narrow scope (by his own admission, no less), and the latter having such a fixation on that accursed birdbrain that when he became the director of Arc-V, the same thing happened all over again with Crow stealing focus.

As annoying as Yoshida is, considering work he's done elsewhere, especially with many of DM and GX's more memorable moments, and the larger arc of Zexal, to me, Ono is the chief one to blame. We have him to blame for Aki (and other 5D's supporting cast) getting as little attention as she did and to blame for even the directly plot-relevant characters in Arc-V ceasing to matter. Frack. him.

5D's has always been my favourite YuGiOh era because it is the first season where the rules actually make sense, people battle with strategy and it is the most adult version of all YuGiOh seasons (with YUGiOh Vrains following closely). The events are serious and real life issues are the topic instead of silly jokes and too much otherworldly nonsense.

Yusei did have character development lol. People who say that clearly didn't watch the whole 5ds show. Yusei had fears and he wasn't perfect. He didn't have any parents and while he was a badass throughout, he still was mentally challenged. That's the flaw Yusei has. But he overcame that flaw, he overcame the fear.

Also, 5ds deals with Racism, Slavery, Child Soldiers, World class problems between Rich and poor, Sexual Harassment, Evil Cult of any kind trying to take over the world and many more.

5ds deals with real world problems and if you need someone to tell you everything is gonna be okay, Yusei is the right dude. Yusei grows from his mistakes and he acknowledged it when he lost to Jack off Screen and said he's not the same person he's fought before and he did beat Jack.

Yusei feared that he wasn't up to the task. He feared that if any of his friends die, its because of his fault. He fears that if the Energy Reactor activates again, everything will be destroyed. Yusei once saw his best friend Rally disappear and he said that he will destroy the Dark Signers once and for all after he was emotionally crying. Season 1 Yusei was great.

I read your post. You know, I also watched the show, so I remember pretty well about the plot. I agree that Aki went from "frightening witch" (no offense, she was a "majou") to "best girl" in no time. Especially at the end when she let the guys fight if I recall correctly. Or how to make of a good character a cheerleader (still, she is the only decent female character in YGO besides Yubel). When I watched it, I was away from the anime community in any possible way, so I am unaware about all of these controversies, but considering the age of the fanbase, I am not surprised to see so many heated reactions. The only notable point was the weird plot at the end due to issues with the Japanese laws against cults (if I heard correctly).

By the way, why do you say Akiza? Her name is Aki.
Jun 22, 2020 9:41 AM
May 2009
I actually enjoyed GX's school setting even the house classes.
But that was only good for the first season after that the usual Yami Game things started to appear I think.

Also Pretty sure the creator loves the big girls, cause the main girl is a foot taller than the main character.

That said I wish they did a Yu Gi Oh that focused on Games other than Monster Cards. Like in the original.
Jun 22, 2020 11:24 AM

May 2016
Meusnier said:
SpeedRoidGenm said:

I read your post. You know, I also watched the show, so I remember pretty well about the plot. I agree that Aki went from "frightening witch" (no offense, she was a "majou") to "best girl" in no time. Especially at the end when she let the guys fight if I recall correctly. Or how to make of a good character a cheerleader (still, she is the only decent female character in YGO besides Yubel). When I watched it, I was away from the anime community in any possible way, so I am unaware about all of these controversies, but considering the age of the fanbase, I am not surprised to see so many heated reactions. The only notable point was the weird plot at the end due to issues with the Japanese laws against cults (if I heard correctly).

That's her dub name Akiza because i've seen both version.

First season with the dark signers was actually good.

Rest becomes a mix of Gurren Lagann and Mobile Fighter G gundam

Koito91Jun 23, 2020 9:37 AM
Jun 22, 2020 12:46 PM

Nov 2008
5Ds is excellent and would've been better if the whole cult controversy never happened.

Jun 23, 2020 9:55 AM

Mar 2018
Thread moved from Casual Discussion. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters has been chosen because it has the most members and more activity.

As for me, I really enjoyed GX and 5Ds and would even go as far as that 5Ds would be my favorite of Yu-Gi-Oh as it clearly had anything that I would've hoped for in such a series.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Jun 23, 2020 10:10 AM

Jun 2019
SpeedRoidGenm said:
Meusnier said:

That's her dub name Akiza because i've seen both version.

First season with the dark signers was actually good.

Rest becomes a mix of Gurren Lagann and Mobile Fighter G gundam

I see, another weird change in the dub. Aki is much better than Akiza which sounds like the name of a park. But I liked a lot the Dark Signers, especially when the useless girl with glasses who loves Jack takes her revenge, and became for a few episodes the third okayish female in YGO (but love won in the end... although all male YGO characters are asexual).
Jul 9, 2020 1:51 AM

Dec 2011
My rewatch of DM is exactly what inspired me to try the others. Many remember it from their nostalgia but I doubt they recognize how smart the Egyptian mythology-inspired theme was underneath all the card games. The character ideologies that drove them was surprising and I'm holding my breath that there's something similar like that in all the others.

I'm only at GX but so far, good stuff. I notice that some things DM introduced probably inspired the later entries directly, Doma arc especially?? The motorbikes imply 5D'S, the Orichalcos is season 2 of GX -- wonder if there'll be anything else to add, I've avoided all spoilers thus far.

For me it's not about the game itself so if others can look at it that way, they might be more open to getting into the franchise. I don't even play it or know anything about the IRL rules yet it's not a problem.
Feb 8, 2021 6:27 AM
May 2018
its simply because i dont care about the spin offs i love yugioh season 0 and the DM i liked the characters the plot and kept watching because of all of it i read the manga too when yugi's adventure ended that was it for me idc about new characters or new game rules or whatever and that goes for most series with spin offs especially if they have different characters i dont like them simly because i watched the original loved it and when it ended thats it i saw the first spin off on local tv and i found it boring i got very attached to the first series and characters for me to enjoy the spin offs they are boring and uninteresting to me
Feb 23, 2021 2:46 PM

May 2019
I am now watching Duel Monsters, it is very fun! The sub shits completely on the dub imo. I will never watch dubbed YGO ever again. The sub makes it not a kids show anymore. Some scenes have surprising nice sakuga by the way and I love the designs.

Gonna watch the spin off’s for sure!
Mar 9, 2021 3:19 PM

Aug 2019
I don't necessarily agree with the OP when it comes to how people view the spin-offs - I've hardly seen people bash GX, 5D's, and other spin-offs without good reason. So the idea that most people who hate the spin-offs put DM on a pedestal doesn't sound convincing to me.

That said, I absolutely dislike "season 0". I hate even referring to it as such since it wasn't actually part of DM, so it shouldn't be called a season to begin with. It was a separate series that was loosely based on the early manga except it had awful animation and way too much filler content.
Oct 11, 2022 7:22 PM
Dec 2017
season 0 i think is what alot of people should look at, specially since it was lot more messed up back then

More topics from this board

» Favorite "Duel Monsters" saga? And why?

Matthappy - Mar 26

16 by Matthappy »»
Apr 6, 12:37 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 32 Discussion

Frezlaj - Jan 31, 2014

13 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 29 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

7 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 27 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 21, 2010

10 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 8:41 AM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 24 Discussion

EvianBubble - Jun 20, 2010

19 by ohnaur »»
Apr 1, 2:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.