Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Jan 3, 2021 8:03 PM
Dec 2020
just finished and though i was pretty lost most of the series, for some reason this last episode made me feel like it had actually grown on me.

then i came to read what other people thought and ....... maybe i had a different idea.....

I haven't read the manga, but from what I gather it seems like just a bad adaptation.. guess that means im gonna read that now.

Makes sense that it might be a compelling manga though, the ending seems to out forth a pretty sweet message but the entire narrative of the show and its characters seems a lot more shallow than that- feels like either 12 episodes was not enough or they could have used time to deveolp haru and rikuo more instead of the shinako's inability to move on for like 8 episodes

I guess it was slightly entertaining, but as a work- sloppy
Jan 7, 2021 7:15 AM
Dec 2020
will take in the ass kakakaksk fuck
Jan 17, 2021 7:07 AM

Jul 2014
Honestly, the show has kind of been building to the Haru ending all along, from her character introduction adding a new spark to Rikuo's life or the episode with Mitsuo when he became jealous of him spending time with Haru. Hell, even his guilt at upsetting Haru when she found out about him and Shinako foreshadowed that. So, I'm fine with this ending in that sense and of course happy that best girl Haru got what she deserved.

The flaw with it is that the show's focus was split far too heavily in Shinako's favour, spending large amounts of time spinning its wheels with her indecision and inability to move on from Yuu-kun when more time could have been spent fleshing out the Rikuo-Haru relationship to make that work a little better. For example, at the bare minimum I'd say episode 11 could have ended with Rikuo and Shinako breaking up and then we'd have this finale in full to give more focus to Rikuo and Haru as a pairing.

Regardless, I can't see how this could have ended any other way, not least because if Rikuo and Shinako ended up together it would raise one crucial question: in that scenario, what purpose would Haru as a character have served to be so prominent throughout the show?

Overall, this show was not without its flaws (episodes 5 and 6 being functionally identical from a plot perspective is particularly egregious, for example), but the characters were written well, the directing was inspired at the most important moments and it was just an excellently atmospheric show from start to finish. Those opening three episodes were absolutely fantastic as well and really set the tone.

8/10
AtavisticJan 17, 2021 4:27 PM
Feb 3, 2021 3:11 PM
Jul 2018
Who did he date in the end? I forgot.
Feb 8, 2021 7:27 PM

Oct 2010
Thought I was finally watching an anime about adults. Now realized I was watching an anime about angsty teens pretending to be adults.

Also, no one is making a pitch for the actual best girl, Fukuda's wife? Where did he pick up that angel? Their story is positioned to be exponentially more interesting.
Mar 9, 2021 6:28 PM
Jan 2017
I actually really liked this anime. I really relate to Rikou since my life seems kinda similar minus the whole love triangle b.s.
The anime was good but even I admit there were parts I felt were unneccesary. for example if they cut out Kuo's charcter and maybe even the whole part about his brother and spent less time dragging Shinako's "should or shouldnt I date you?" conflicting crap that she does for sooo long it wouldve been a lot better. and wat was the point of Kinoshita? I mean I reeeally wish we coulda seen a snippet of his life and not Kuo's artschool life

but overall due to some strong relatability and what I consider a good servicable ending I'd still give this a 7/10
Mar 11, 2021 7:00 AM

Feb 2012
Like many others have said, a rushed ending, particularly since Haru's and Rikou's relationship never went anywhere, and so much time was spent on Shinako's issues. The suggestion that she went back to Rou seems even less comprehensible from the viewpoint of emotional development. The last developments were so rushed that the ending was unintentionally hilarious. I didn't really care who got together, but if it had to be Haru, they should have shown much more warmth from Rikou's side earlier to make it believable.

The rest of the series was good so I'm giving it 7/10, and while no rushed ending like this could be satisfying, it's just one episode. I'll just think of this as a good relationship drama with a poor ending. What was probably the best here was that in anime emotional immaturity is rarely explored as thoroughly as in this one, pretty much similar immaturity in different characters.
Mar 12, 2021 6:12 AM

Jul 2017
I'll give this 6/10 for the beautiful animation, song, etc. the atmosphere in this anime, I like it a lot. I enjoy a lot all the scenery and such. And ofc the 4/10 others is missing because the story is kinda... It's trash like everybody said here.
I feel like the relationship between Rikuo and Haru needs more development. like a lot of development. it feels like Rikuo just suddenly forced to love Haru. I know some probably said that Haru is just a backup for Rikuo which is yeaa.. but.. .. for real... it's weird man. I feel like I didn't get enough Haru development. the only thing I can remember from this anime is the problem that centered on Shinako. how Hinako dealt with Rou/Ruo idk and Rikuo. Haru is just left behind from the series and suddenly she got Rikuo yaay.
Apr 3, 2021 10:51 AM

Apr 2021
what a waste of time. 2/10 for the story 9/10 for my girl Haru
Apr 6, 2021 8:58 PM

Aug 2011
Disappointing ending. Although I was supportive of Shinako in the beginning, I can see from the past few episodes why her character was disliked so much. I feel she is too stuck in the past and needs to branch out and away from 'the family'.

Not a fan of Haru/Rikou; she's too immature, not to mention annoying, IMO. I appreciate that Rikou finally sorted things out, realizing his feelings as well as Shinako's. I grew to respect his character for it, but I still don't think Haru is the answer.

Truthfully, it should have ended with the foursome each finding other people. That would have felt more appropriate.
May 13, 2021 5:55 AM
Aug 2013
I'll have a dissenting opinion because I liked this ending, and don't think it's "rushed." The word "rushed" is now a generic buzzword for "I didn't like what happened" and immediately makes me question the opinion of whoever uses it. The pacing was very relaxed, so it's laughable that anyone claims that it's rushed. The ending reminds me of True Tears, which I finished 6.5 years earlier. Comparing this with True Tears, spoiling its conclusion below:

It seems people would've hated whatever conclusion happened. There were enough Shinako haters out there, and I think the MAL score would've still dropped if everyone ended up alone. I get the feeling that if the show just had 2 or 3 scenes of Rikuo/Haru really bonding together, that would've helped a lot. I was expecting Rikuo to go out with Haru on a sunny weekend to make up for the lost movie date, but that never happened. Haru was still the best choice, considering her devotion to him when compared against Shinako, who dropped everything for Rou, and Chika, who wasn't devoted at all.

The MAL score drop from 7.8 to 6.9 (nearly a full point) after the final episode is shocking. I had expected something truly catastrophic, like The Promised Neverland S2's ending, or O Maidens in Your Savage Season's ending. But no, the show actually finished with a definitive conclusion, and that's better than most "read the source to find out what happens next" shows. Maybe today's anime viewers are more finicky. One factor may be butthurt manga readers hating this ending because it was anime original, as though they expected this to get a S2 and cover more chapters.

If True Tears were released today, its MAL score would definitely be lower than this. This also turned out to be much more interesting than Horimiya, but go figure, Horimiya is one of the highest scoring romances on MAL. I guess people like generic stories.
GippyMay 13, 2021 12:46 PM
May 20, 2021 3:19 PM
Aug 2010
I really liked the series a lot, it was a different style of "Slice of Life" than I am used to and felt overall more adult to me, which I liked about it. I could relate to most of the Chars, that's always a huge + for me. The only problem I have overall, is the sloppy ending. Wish the ending wasn't rushed like that, would have been great with 3 or 4 more episdoes. 7,6/10 in total for me.
Jul 3, 2021 3:07 PM
May 2010
What a shitty ending. Very good anime but the ending makes zero sense.

Jul 26, 2021 5:41 PM
Jan 2021
Love how they just rushed through the manga/s
Aug 24, 2021 6:33 PM
Aug 2018
Way too much hate for this show. It’s understandable that the haters hate the weak minded and indecisive characters but this is how some people are. I thought this show was good with realistic characters, nothing over the top like most shows. I was disappointed by the ending and the result of Shinako and Rikuo, however.
Aug 27, 2021 12:04 PM

Apr 2009
This entire show but specially the last few episodes was Train wreck, but going 1 mile per hour. The ending made me gag, if I met any such annoying person in real life like these 3 clowns I don’t think I would be able to control the urge to have nothing to do with them. 12 episodes of absolute mediocrity because grown ass adults aren’t capable of having a normal conversation with .. well literally anyone. Not a single redeemable character or plot line, just wow. It started off with good potential but fell off the cliff fairly quickly.
JagaraAug 27, 2021 12:07 PM
Sep 6, 2021 1:21 PM
Nov 2020
The ending was so annoying why did rikuo fall in love with the token loli
Oct 31, 2021 2:27 AM
Apr 2018
That felt much better. Finally they were able to really sort out their issues, even if their relationship is now back to neutral.

Kind of liked SHINAKO from episode 8, when she started to really express herself. But her indecisiveness didn't stop even after that...

And here we are. Everyone satisfied, especially now that complexity sorted.

4/10 (A waste of time, but a satisfying ending.)
Dec 4, 2021 11:35 PM

Jan 2021
Shinako & Rikuo are the worst couple I've ever seen in anime, luckily Haru has a happy ending
Dec 16, 2021 2:53 PM
Apr 2020
It's sad
It's really sad
I really liked this show until the last episode, really great grown up characters no bullshit and annoying characters, no stereotypes and yet they dropped the ball so hard im really sad that they butchered what it could have been a Masterpiece

The main couple story and how they end up together (before the epi 12 train wreck) was done very well
They are flawed people and they finally found what they need
Yet for whatever stupid reason they suddenly realized that they don't love each others actually, like Come on guys the mc was so mad in love with this girl and after finally ending up with her and being truly happy they decided to split up and for what ( a stupid brat who likes shinako and an annoying high school girl that have only one purpose in the whole Anime is to follow the mc)
Love is hard and life is hard and we struggle to deal with all these feelings but that ending was horrible and not because they didn't end up together but because he suddenly decided that he loves haru!! I don't know why did they did this honestly it doesn't make any sense
Shinako and the mc splitting up because they realized that they didn't love each other's truly and they were just confused is totally normal and would be an amazing ending to sum up the struggle but nah they had to make the mc lose his mind and go after the idiot haru

This was going to be 10/10 for me but this ending (mc go after haru and shinako go after the brat) dropped it to 6

Why, why
It was a mature story filled with emotions and the true struggle of someone who doesn't understand what he feels, being Lost is something Most of us deal with

I rarely comment on the episodes discussion but damn this one hurt because it had so much potential and it's all wasted at the end
Dec 21, 2021 1:59 AM
Jul 2021
SenninSage said:
Honestly I saw Rikuo and Haru together from the beginning, and I actually I'm quite pleased with them now dating. That said, the ending implying that Shinako and Rou will start dating, as Shinako also has romantic feelings for Rou (it seems she got jealous seeing his flat door opened by another girl). isn't the best.

Frankly I believe for both of their-selves they shouldn't date, I think Rou has a deal of maturing to pass through and Shinako should for her own sake start fresh with someone she shares no history with.
I also think with you, if the studio that worked on this story added a little more how the relationship between ruo and shinako developed and I hope it will be shown (maybe that doesn't happen
Mar 15, 2022 5:01 AM

May 2015
So in the end it was just a story about 2 people in love that couldn't go on with one another because they felt guilty af about 2 others who kept annoyingly forcing themselves on them all the time that they, Rikuo and Shinako, had no romantic feelings towards them, had to force such feelings on themselves just to feel guiltless and good about themselves, huh? BULLSHIT. And BULLSHIT ending. 1/10.
I'm not mad(maybe I am) I'm just disappointed AS FUCK.
TheBerserkerMar 15, 2022 5:22 AM
Mar 15, 2022 5:18 AM

May 2015
MaxPlays91 said:
Yet for whatever stupid reason they suddenly realized that they don't love each others actually, like Come on guys the mc was so mad in love with this girl and after finally ending up with her and being truly happy they decided to split up and for what ( a stupid brat who likes shinako and an annoying high school girl that have only one purpose in the whole Anime is to follow the mc)

I rarely comment on the episodes discussion but damn this one hurt because it had so much potential and it's all wasted at the end

Yeah loving someone for YEARS is just a fLeEtInG cRuSh all of a sudden now...

I don't comment that much either but this... this joke of an ending had me rush here, I KNEW it was gonna end this way yet I HOPED it wouldn't after all that development... ARGH....
Mar 15, 2022 5:46 AM

May 2015
In all seriousness,

Rikuo loved her for YEARS and he was FINALLY happy.

Shinako at LAST let go of her dead lover and managed to move on with Rikuo.

It never made sense why Haru liked Rikuo, how do you cross a road with someone and all of sudden you love them for the rest of your life? Utter nonsense, if it's explained in the manga, I don't know, and she was just annoyingly forcing herself on him, Rikuo was also an indecisive loser who couldn't tell her no from the get go, I know they tried to be realistic but that was very anime cliche shit.

Rou was just living a lie in the shadow of his dead brother and far more annoying than Haru and couldn't understand that no MEANS no.

Why would Rikuo decide all of a sudden to screw his happiness just so to make it up to someone he never liked till... now... all of a sudden... Indecisive to the very end, even after getting what he wanted all along... how do you even screw up that hard like that...

Why would Shinako do the same just to not ruin a her friendship with her dead lover's younger brother? Y'all been family friends for life, you'll continue be for the rest of it, he'll get over it in time and grow up and your friendship will fix itself up, so why fuck your happiness like that?

The ending made absolutely no sense, especially after all that painstakingly development, I realize they tried to be realistic and a breakup is pretty realistic but for the reason they broke up for? NO, that was just a "let's give everyone a happy ending" kinda cliche ending shit.

They were happily in love and then all of sudden they no longer were? What a joke...

Maybe I am really mad...
TheBerserkerMar 15, 2022 6:16 AM
Mar 15, 2022 7:33 AM
Apr 2020
TheBerserker said:
In all seriousness,

Rikuo loved her for YEARS and he was FINALLY happy.

Shinako at LAST let go of her dead lover and managed to move on with Rikuo.

It never made sense why Haru liked Rikuo, how do you cross a road with someone and all of sudden you love them for the rest of your life? Utter nonsense, if it's explained in the manga, I don't know, and she was just annoyingly forcing herself on him, Rikuo was also an indecisive loser who couldn't tell her no from the get go, I know they tried to be realistic but that was very anime cliche shit.

Rou was just living a lie in the shadow of his dead brother and far more annoying than Haru and couldn't understand that no MEANS no.

Why would Rikuo decide all of a sudden to screw his happiness just so to make it up to someone he never liked till... now... all of a sudden... Indecisive to the very end, even after getting what he wanted all along... how do you even screw up that hard like that...

Why would Shinako do the same just to not ruin a her friendship with her dead lover's younger brother? Y'all been family friends for life, you'll continue be for the rest of it, he'll get over it in time and grow up and your friendship will fix itself up, so why fuck your happiness like that?

The ending made absolutely no sense, especially after all that painstakingly development, I realize they tried to be realistic and a breakup is pretty realistic but for the reason they broke up for? NO, that was just a "let's give everyone a happy ending" kinda cliche ending shit.

They were happily in love and then all of sudden they no longer were? What a joke...

Maybe I am really mad...
they just wanted to give the usual happy ending and they ruined the whole show in the progress

Same thoughts here about everything you said
Aug 9, 2022 7:43 AM
Dec 2021
this is a good anime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Aug 13, 2022 6:23 PM
Aug 2017
characters written like r word 4 year olds
Aug 15, 2022 9:14 AM

May 2022
Oof it really ended like that. It kind of feels like they threw out all of the plot and just ended in a way to be the most shocking. It really leaves a bad taste in your mouth. It really is awful that Rikuo treats Haru so poorly for the majority and then he just settles for her at the end. It really feels so unnatural that he says he loves her at the end, it is so forced just to end the show. I thought the erased ending was bad not due to the ship at the end, but due to how oddly they ended up solving the problem in such a comically absurd way. My takeaway for this is it just feels like they had too many mixed messages and meaning in the show that are forgotten in the end as it needed to end now.
Aug 18, 2022 5:29 AM
Mar 2020
Just watched this for haru.
Everyone else can just go die
Sep 2, 2022 8:07 AM

Jan 2021
What a rush ending...i did enjoy this anime a lot until episode 12 came... 6/10 because not as shitty as hachimitsu to clover II ending.
Oct 10, 2022 9:42 AM
Jan 2020
My man, I wish an actual good drama show out there had this kind of quality instead. This is a very clear passion project at that. I mean, why would they just suddenly adapt a manga that ended 2 decades ago?
Nov 7, 2022 11:49 AM
Dec 2019
who would have thought that you could ruin an entire episode in just 1 day ?

Well this anime does. what the hell was the whole point?
Jan 23, 2023 11:46 PM
Aug 2021
it was alright

/////////////////////
Feb 6, 2023 4:35 AM
Mar 2013
WTH just happened with the ending? Everything suddenly turn upside down just half-episode toward the end.
If you want me to believe & accept Haru X Rikuo, at least build the relationship properly instead of focusing on Shinako X Rikuo for almost the entirety of the show and throw it all into the thrash.
May 22, 2023 9:29 PM
Feb 2022

Bro this was basically just a walking home simulator, up until episode 9 nothing happened. Even the later episodes still nothing happened... lol
May 24, 2023 8:14 AM

Dec 2022
I feel like my initial interest has been lost due to the unnecessary side step the story took.

I don't buy romance with Rou either, it just feels wrong to me.

I expected better.
Jun 11, 2023 3:52 PM
May 2020
not a very good ending
Jul 4, 2023 1:58 AM
Sep 2015
BBcharmy said:

Bro this was basically just a walking home simulator, up until episode 9 nothing happened. Even the later episodes still nothing happened... lol
Walking home simulator lmfao. Perfect way to describe this anime.
Jul 20, 2023 11:04 AM
Jul 2023
Semmi különös. Még a végén is tartotta a hétköznapi stílust.
Sep 25, 2023 6:45 AM
Apr 2019
Good ending, it makes sense and it gives viewer closure, which is much better than a lot of other animes that just leave you hanging.

PS: And yeah, romance involves a lot of walks, big deal. (And I speak from experience)

PPS: Also, sometimes you don't end up with your first love, shocking I know, but it happens a lot in real life.
Nov 15, 2023 5:24 PM
Apr 2021
yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Nov 28, 2023 10:54 PM
Mar 2021
I'm glad he ended up with Haru. That bus scene was very good. I'm surprised he would say he loves Haru though, especially after the bus scene where he says, "It's not that you love someone. You just wanted someone to give you attention, don't you?"

I also find the whole situation with Shinato and Roku disturbing. I would say it makes more sense why Roku feels so strongly towards her but it was kind of obvious it wasn't just romantic love, and he himself at least partially knew this. unfortunately Shinato definitely has a bit of problems, especially if she is seriously considering being with him romantically and approaching it in this kind of indirect way while frequently changing her opinion of him. It does makes more sense to see this type of problematic relationship coming from her though given the situation.
Jan 8, 11:43 PM
Feb 2012
Reply to StandingSitting
I'm glad he ended up with Haru. That bus scene was very good. I'm surprised he would say he loves Haru though, especially after the bus scene where he says, "It's not that you love someone. You just wanted someone to give you attention, don't you?"

I also find the whole situation with Shinato and Roku disturbing. I would say it makes more sense why Roku feels so strongly towards her but it was kind of obvious it wasn't just romantic love, and he himself at least partially knew this. unfortunately Shinato definitely has a bit of problems, especially if she is seriously considering being with him romantically and approaching it in this kind of indirect way while frequently changing her opinion of him. It does makes more sense to see this type of problematic relationship coming from her though given the situation.
@StandingSitting I think the bus scene where he is doing the self talk , his ego is just presenting to himself his doubts, and he is trying hard to just surface out of his inner doubt. He wasn't sure about what he was feeling, so part of his process weas to doubt that "don't you just want someone t ogive you attention?" it would be natural to really check yourself this way, it's perhaps a surfacing of repressed guilt for not noticing Haru sooner. He is finding reasons to justify not deserving to restartt relations with Haru. When in reality, he did develop feelings for her. To me, that much was obvious during the whole show especially more so as the episodes progressed. He related with her a lot. She seemed to understand him much more in the way that he could really engage with. Where as Shinako's udnerstanding of him was one that kept a distance between them. As well; he felt a little more down than someone who is just letting someone they dont love down slowly, during the last 4 or 5 episodes when he was asking her to stop coming around. He did so for her sake. It was painful for him to see her trying for nothing. Yet, that pain he felt , was more than simply just empathizing with another human. It bothered him a lot. As well; he did miss her attention, because he went looking for her even after he had made things more official with Shinako, but before he broke up with Shinako. He just needed to figure his feelings out around Shinako weren't real. He could not honestly say he loved her. But in the end, he was able to say he loved Haru with honesty. It's not exactly a clear path to this ending. Yet, in reality, that's maybe how it'd be. You kind of have to read between the lines I'll admit. But that's okay. The show did all it could to get you there I think. Maybe rewatch it.

And the part about Shinako and Roku being disturbing - I agree. It is disturbing. But I also think it's a great portrayal. Given the situation, it may be realistic to confide in a deceased loved one's sibling for comfort, which she obviously did, not just to appreciate Roku, but using Roku as a stand in for his brother. Indeed, this is controversial and would produce feelings of guilt and shame.. It is disturbing. But isn;t that how it'd be in real life? These types of things probably happen. She has unconsciously developing feelings for him during the whole time she was struggling with these inner battles around the controversy of the sad situation. She begins to question whether she should keep trying to project those feelings as purely platnoic , or something more. But Roku begins to change things after he confesses to her. Becausde of that she starts thinking of Roku in intimate way even just as an experiment, it would make anyone feel a bit ashamed. Like it's wrong , because his brother came first. And she doesn;t want Roku to just be a stand in for that. So she keeps trying to deny her feelings for him. I would say Roku's feelings initiated Shinako's to begin changing into something more, and when that change began, Shinako was fighting it because it was morally wrong. and she had herself convinced her feelings for him were exclusively in the box of "kid brother". But, in the end, what's so wrong with it? She starts to budge at the end and give in and just let it happen.

And I think really; Shinako is still confused about whether she can have feelings for Roku and if they're really her own feelings or not. Who wouldn't be confused in that situation? But Roku keeps trying to change that and I think starts causing her to develop feelings , in response to how much he says he loves her and needs her to be happy.

The entire anime is a testament to the fact that people's feelings do cahnge in unexpected ways. It can be a tossup how they develop. This simply isn't your run of the mill romance anime where what you expect to happen happens, because in real life, sometimes things don't go that way. I myself experienced a similar situation to Uozomi. Where the girl I wanted couldn;t be more than just friends with me, and the whole time I was heartbroken at the end of that relationship, another girl was causing me to develop feelings I kept trying to deny.. because of her persistence in expressing her love for me. I had a fling with her and it was honestly just finding comfort from my heartbreak, because all I could focus on was my previous love. Yet some years later I seriously dated this persistent girl for a long time, actually eventually loved her. My feelings changed. "Sing yesterday for me". the very title of the anime envelopes the lesson here. People cling to the past, yet change is inevitable. And people keep playing the past over because thats what humans do. Sing yesterday for me, is a fancy eloquent way of saying "Can't we just keep things how they were?". And the anime shows how whether you accept it at first or not, the past cannot be held onto forever, as people change. Shinako is the best example of this because she has it THE worst. SHe is the most reluctant to change, even to the point of near neurosis and she is herself ashamed of it. But that even she herself , the hardest nut to crack, finally changes. I think everyone in the world can relate with that. I believe Shinako here is the main protagonist to relate with. "Sing Yesterday" is Shinako's anthem. PS. I love Haru x Uozomi the most.

@everyone DOn't listen to the noobs saying this is is a bad ending. I think it's perfect. Realistic.
mega_prizeJan 9, 12:21 AM
Jan 11, 1:23 PM
Mar 2021
Reply to mega_prize
@StandingSitting I think the bus scene where he is doing the self talk , his ego is just presenting to himself his doubts, and he is trying hard to just surface out of his inner doubt. He wasn't sure about what he was feeling, so part of his process weas to doubt that "don't you just want someone t ogive you attention?" it would be natural to really check yourself this way, it's perhaps a surfacing of repressed guilt for not noticing Haru sooner. He is finding reasons to justify not deserving to restartt relations with Haru. When in reality, he did develop feelings for her. To me, that much was obvious during the whole show especially more so as the episodes progressed. He related with her a lot. She seemed to understand him much more in the way that he could really engage with. Where as Shinako's udnerstanding of him was one that kept a distance between them. As well; he felt a little more down than someone who is just letting someone they dont love down slowly, during the last 4 or 5 episodes when he was asking her to stop coming around. He did so for her sake. It was painful for him to see her trying for nothing. Yet, that pain he felt , was more than simply just empathizing with another human. It bothered him a lot. As well; he did miss her attention, because he went looking for her even after he had made things more official with Shinako, but before he broke up with Shinako. He just needed to figure his feelings out around Shinako weren't real. He could not honestly say he loved her. But in the end, he was able to say he loved Haru with honesty. It's not exactly a clear path to this ending. Yet, in reality, that's maybe how it'd be. You kind of have to read between the lines I'll admit. But that's okay. The show did all it could to get you there I think. Maybe rewatch it.

And the part about Shinako and Roku being disturbing - I agree. It is disturbing. But I also think it's a great portrayal. Given the situation, it may be realistic to confide in a deceased loved one's sibling for comfort, which she obviously did, not just to appreciate Roku, but using Roku as a stand in for his brother. Indeed, this is controversial and would produce feelings of guilt and shame.. It is disturbing. But isn;t that how it'd be in real life? These types of things probably happen. She has unconsciously developing feelings for him during the whole time she was struggling with these inner battles around the controversy of the sad situation. She begins to question whether she should keep trying to project those feelings as purely platnoic , or something more. But Roku begins to change things after he confesses to her. Becausde of that she starts thinking of Roku in intimate way even just as an experiment, it would make anyone feel a bit ashamed. Like it's wrong , because his brother came first. And she doesn;t want Roku to just be a stand in for that. So she keeps trying to deny her feelings for him. I would say Roku's feelings initiated Shinako's to begin changing into something more, and when that change began, Shinako was fighting it because it was morally wrong. and she had herself convinced her feelings for him were exclusively in the box of "kid brother". But, in the end, what's so wrong with it? She starts to budge at the end and give in and just let it happen.

And I think really; Shinako is still confused about whether she can have feelings for Roku and if they're really her own feelings or not. Who wouldn't be confused in that situation? But Roku keeps trying to change that and I think starts causing her to develop feelings , in response to how much he says he loves her and needs her to be happy.

The entire anime is a testament to the fact that people's feelings do cahnge in unexpected ways. It can be a tossup how they develop. This simply isn't your run of the mill romance anime where what you expect to happen happens, because in real life, sometimes things don't go that way. I myself experienced a similar situation to Uozomi. Where the girl I wanted couldn;t be more than just friends with me, and the whole time I was heartbroken at the end of that relationship, another girl was causing me to develop feelings I kept trying to deny.. because of her persistence in expressing her love for me. I had a fling with her and it was honestly just finding comfort from my heartbreak, because all I could focus on was my previous love. Yet some years later I seriously dated this persistent girl for a long time, actually eventually loved her. My feelings changed. "Sing yesterday for me". the very title of the anime envelopes the lesson here. People cling to the past, yet change is inevitable. And people keep playing the past over because thats what humans do. Sing yesterday for me, is a fancy eloquent way of saying "Can't we just keep things how they were?". And the anime shows how whether you accept it at first or not, the past cannot be held onto forever, as people change. Shinako is the best example of this because she has it THE worst. SHe is the most reluctant to change, even to the point of near neurosis and she is herself ashamed of it. But that even she herself , the hardest nut to crack, finally changes. I think everyone in the world can relate with that. I believe Shinako here is the main protagonist to relate with. "Sing Yesterday" is Shinako's anthem. PS. I love Haru x Uozomi the most.

@everyone DOn't listen to the noobs saying this is is a bad ending. I think it's perfect. Realistic.
@mega_prize Thank you for that reply. I agree with you that there was a buildup towards Uozomi and Haru getting together. I am more surprised by the intensity of that relationship constituting an "I love you" when Uozomi just directly said he wanted to be in a relationship with her. I am not surprised they liked each other romantically however I am surprised he would say he loves her. I almost feel that this self talk to reassure Uozomi would not be required or have been already done before you confess to someone you love them, rather than just being fond of them and starting a new relationship. I believe in japan it is less common to directly state you love someone compared to the western world; I am even more surprised he said he loved her rather than starting out less intensely.

I liked your concluding remarks about the theme of the story being how feelings change in unexpected ways, I agree with this statement and I do think the anime did a great job expressing this idea. I think on a more personal basis why I did not like this ending as much as I could have (still liked it though) is because I don't like the idea of making it seem that you have to be in love completely (100%) rather than gradually creeping up a continuum (0 to 100%) to maybe one day get to that point of complete love. Falling for someone so very fast, makes me almost think there is a level of insincerity when someone seemingly goes from acquaintances to passionately in love right away or both parties are not really aware of their true feelings, of whether this is true love or not. Afterall how can you be if you do not know someone completely? This can also be lead to major problems. This way of thinking is more a societal issue rather than the anime. You are completely right that their was a lot of subtexts and they were not simply strangers to lovers in a matter of uneventful days.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zyjJanApr - May 9, 2020

150 by SadMeat »»
Jan 29, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

160 by Stargurll02 »»
Jan 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

123 by komikvalentine »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

204 by littlebiglyon »»
Nov 15, 2023 2:56 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2020

292 by Fumikko »»
Jun 28, 2023 2:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.