Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 13, 2020 10:30 AM
Jun 2020
Enjoyed the movie.
It was great.
Jul 15, 2020 2:35 PM

Jul 2014
7/10 , I didnt like Miyo because she was so clingy and it turned me off a bit. Nevertheless, the story was well decent (typical one). I liked the ending and the ost + animation there and the art too the most. Could be better, but yeah it's an agree to disagree situation after all.
Jul 16, 2020 10:51 PM

Mar 2019
An anime which answers the question of why life isn't easier as a cat. Interesting theme of regret. Muge and Yoriko rekindled their friendship which was realistic, sometimes that has to be done.

Imperfect people who love each other imperfectly. Also wouldn't recommend stalking as love. Yikes. Muge knows nothing about love which does make sense due to her sad past and young age. Hinode is a rare example of a male tsundere. Tsunderes in general are unrealistic/a relationship with a tsundere would be difficult unless they turned into a deredere. Wish fulfillment and visuals along with interesting characters 10/10
Eris-w-Jul 18, 2020 10:42 PM
Jul 18, 2020 12:28 PM

Oct 2017
Some pretty good themes of escapism etc in. Romance though? Nah, you hella missed me on that, cause it's a lot of things, but romantic isn't one of them.
Jul 21, 2020 12:51 PM

Feb 2014
my goooooddddddddddddddd KAMI-SAMAAA

This was..... soooooooooo BAD

I struggling between 2 and a 3/10

Also, the only likeable characters was the main girl´s friend fallowed by Kaoru.
Jul 21, 2020 9:55 PM

Nov 2013
Delightfully, unexpectedly enjoyable, especially for a Netflix movie.
Jul 25, 2020 2:06 AM
Jul 2020
I was really enjoying it and liked it up until the last third of the movie which just took me out of it and made me question what i was watching.
Jul 30, 2020 10:05 AM

Dec 2016
Very cute movie! And most of all, I love cats <3 My score: 8/10

I was very surprised the movie was uploaded on the internet the same day it was released. Very fast and fantastic *w*

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Aug 2, 2020 3:21 PM
Aug 2012
EpicCh33se said:

I... think you're onto something. That line about "the other side" was really strange to me too. I went back and listened to that scene again. The noun they used in Japanese is 向こう (mukou). I know this means "other side," but I'm unsure if this has the same connotation of "afterlife" like it does in English.
Yorushika, the band who did the vocal songs for this movie, has a song called Yakou that was featured in this film. At the end of the song is a line that uses 向こう, implying that the person in question had died and was crossing "to the other side." Considering the music video even shares background shots with the film, I wouldn't be surprised if this was connected.
I'd be really grateful if someone who is better in Japanese could give some clarification on this.

I think 向こう can also just refer to "the other party". Japanese "pronouns" developed out of oblique directional references, after all. Still, they could have chosen other words to convey that same meaning, so there may be a deeper meaning/double entendre there.

That aside, I'd say that the same distinction between this world and the other world does exist in Japanese culture. I'd say the coordinate term for the afterlife that best fits the "other side" interpretation you're looking for is あの世, anoyo, "the other world". I don't believe it's ever used in the movie, but in the scene where Muge is talking to Kinako about getting her "mask" back, the conversation centers around each of their lifespans - the lifespan of a human, and that of a cat. Kinako makes reference to この世, "this world", when she says:

きなこ: きなこはこの世からいなくなってもー 
...even if Kinako disappears from this world.

Also in that same conversation, when Muge asks where the mask seller/面屋さん went, Kinako says that he's now gone over to the other side, あっち側.

EarlCiel said:
It reminded me of a scene from another series I've seen before where someone is ferrying people into the afterlife on a river. It seems like the river scene could be a reference to the Sanzu River, which is a mythological river in Japanese Buddhist tradition where souls that are deceased must cross to go to the afterlife. I really began to find it interesting how this whole ferry thing was going on and also notice that in order to cross over to the other world there would need to be a bridge, just like the myth. I started to wonder if the cat island shown at the end was actually 'the after life' or representative of people who have died already. It is a little bit of a far out connection to make but another moment that really stood out to me was after they returned and when Mugi said "I hope everyone on the other side can be happy too".

Another interesting thing to note is the movie is set in the summer, which in Japan is Obon season, which is when the Japanese honor their ancestors. The mythology associated with that tradition does involve the ferrying of the dead to and from the living world. Tenki no Ko, for example, was set at about the same time, and in the scene where they visit Taki (from Kimi no Na Wa) they're lighting a mukaebi (迎え火), a guiding light (or maybe an okuribi 送り火, idk it's been a long time since I watched it), for Taki's grandfather. The awakening of the tree in this movie (which didn't have much narrative or visual impact) might be related to Obon as well.

I also think it's worth mentioning that in Aria the Animation, the only other work from Sato Junichi that I've watched (if you can call three seasons, that one OVA in 2015, and hopefully the movie in 2021 the "only other work"), cats do play a prominent role, both as symbolic presidents of their respective gondola companies, and also as beings that somehow transcend time. The cat world and the appearance of the mask seller in this movie were similar to the Cat Prince in Aria. 

YamieX said:

I also find it sad that Miyo would end her day departing with Yoriko with the request "Please be my friend again tomorrow." And Yoriko would say that she's silly, just like anyone of us would do if your best friend says that to you every day. Why I think it's everyday, coz Yoriko reacted when Miyo failed to say that to her one day, and she stopped to stare as Miyo walked away... Once again Yoriko spotted something before others, that Miyo was not Miyo anymore. How she cries for Miyo, when Miyo refused to cry even though she was sad... It was a beautiful friendship but Miyo refused to burden Yoriko with. Because she hardly share things about herself and when Yoriko asks, she tried to confirm that Yoriko wants to know about her, before sharing. The same happened when Hinode said he wants to know more about her, she asked how could you like me if I'm at my worst?

I didn't really think much of Yoriko during the movie, but reading your comment, I wish the movie concentrated more on the Yoriko + Miyo  relationship than the one between Miyo and Hinode. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a sucker for puppy love, but it does feel like the only relationship with substance and an actual reason for being is the one between Miyo and Yoriko.

I'm also surprised no one (in this thread, at least) is talking about the movie in terms of its Japanese title, 泣きたい私猫をかぶる, which I roughly translate to "I Want to Cry But I Put up a Front". In fact this comment got really close to mentioning it:

YamieX said:

Miyo is bad at communication, she is bad at social, she doesn't understand people and relationships and she doesn't have any good examples to learn from. If we look at her interaction with Yoriko and Hinode, it's quite similar in which she acts out bright and cheery in front of them, projecting a bright & loud image... but will hide crying from anyone.

猫をかぶる literally means to wear a cat, but proverbially means to put up a front or play nice. It lends a bit more meaning to the literal act of donning a cat mask to hide one's true self, and is a better set up for the theme of being unable to truly express oneself. And true self-expression can only came after one recognizes oneself, which is pretty hard at Muge and Hinode's age, and even harder for Muge when she has to witness her biological mother and stepmother fight over Muge belongs to without really understanding who she is. The people at her school do her no better by giving her the nickname 無限大謎人間 on top of bullying her.

And while we're on the topic of names, it's always worth looking at the names given to characters. 

- The one that stuck out most to me was 日之出, which can be read as 日の出, sunrise, which is readily apparent in Muge's love letter and, of course, her Sunrise Attack. 
- I think the MAL description already mentions Muge's name, but her actual given name, Miyo, 美代 is a combination of 美 for beauty and, more importantly, 代 for substitute or "take place of". 
- Yoriko's name 頼子 contains 頼, which can be interpreted as "dependable", which I believe matches her role as Muge's friend as YamieX describes.

kanirolfAug 2, 2020 3:26 PM
Aug 2, 2020 4:02 PM

Oct 2012
kanirolf said:
EpicCh33se said:

I... think you're onto something. That line about "the other side" was really strange to me too. I went back and listened to that scene again. The noun they used in Japanese is 向こう (mukou). I know this means "other side," but I'm unsure if this has the same connotation of "afterlife" like it does in English.
Yorushika, the band who did the vocal songs for this movie, has a song called Yakou that was featured in this film. At the end of the song is a line that uses 向こう, implying that the person in question had died and was crossing "to the other side." Considering the music video even shares background shots with the film, I wouldn't be surprised if this was connected.
I'd be really grateful if someone who is better in Japanese could give some clarification on this.

I think 向こう can also just refer to "the other party". Japanese "pronouns" developed out of oblique directional references, after all. Still, they could have chosen other words to convey that same meaning, so there may be a deeper meaning/double entendre there.

So it's possible they're using 向こう as a pronoun to refer to people (or cats, in this case)? I didn't know that! Thanks for the explanation.

kanirolf said:
EarlCiel said:
It reminded me of a scene from another series I've seen before where someone is ferrying people into the afterlife on a river. It seems like the river scene could be a reference to the Sanzu River, which is a mythological river in Japanese Buddhist tradition where souls that are deceased must cross to go to the afterlife. I really began to find it interesting how this whole ferry thing was going on and also notice that in order to cross over to the other world there would need to be a bridge, just like the myth. I started to wonder if the cat island shown at the end was actually 'the after life' or representative of people who have died already. It is a little bit of a far out connection to make but another moment that really stood out to me was after they returned and when Mugi said "I hope everyone on the other side can be happy too".

Another interesting thing to note is the movie is set in the summer, which in Japan is Obon season, which is when the Japanese honor their ancestors. The mythology associated with that tradition does involve the ferrying of the dead to and from the living world. Tenki no Ko, for example, was set at about the same time, and in the scene where they visit Taki (from Kimi no Na Wa) they're lighting a mukaebi (迎え火), a guiding light (or maybe an okuribi 送り火, idk it's been a long time since I watched it), for Taki's grandfather. The awakening of the tree in this movie (which didn't have much narrative or visual impact) might be related to Obon as well.

Oh yeah, I recall the Tenki no Ko dub doing a better job of explaining Obon than the subs. The subs opted to just say "first anniversary" instead of directly saying "hatsubon."

kanirolf said:
I'm also surprised no one (in this thread, at least) is talking about the movie in terms of its Japanese title, 泣きたい私猫をかぶる, which I roughly translate to "I Want to Cry But I Put up a Front". In fact this comment got really close to mentioning it:
猫をかぶる literally means to wear a cat, but proverbially means to put up a front or play nice. It lends a bit more meaning to the literal act of donning a cat mask to hide one's true self, and is a better set up for the theme of being unable to truly express oneself. And true self-expression can only came after one recognizes oneself, which is pretty hard at Muge and Hinode's age, and even harder for Muge when she has to witness her biological mother and stepmother fight over Muge belongs to without really understanding who she is. The people at her school do her no better by giving her the nickname 無限大謎人間 on top of bullying her.

Yeah, this is the main reason I really dislike the English title for this film. I guess "A Whisker Away" is supposed to be an homage to Spirited Away, but I feel that the title doesn't portray the messages and themes of this film at all. I understand that there's no direct translation of this Japanese figure of speech, but they could have at least tried...

Understanding these little nuances makes me appreciate this film a bit more. I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much if I didn't know or find out about these details and their connections to Japanese folklore and wordplay. I think it's a shame that a lot of Western viewers who aren't too familiar with Japanese culture and are not too interested in this film won't dig a little deeper.
EpicCh33seAug 2, 2020 4:10 PM
Aug 2, 2020 10:00 PM
Jun 2020
kanirolf said:

Ahhh... I understood it from its Japanese title and was quite amused by the English title as it was obvious with a marketing intention. But it did nothing to help non-japanese fans understand the movie. I think for this movie it would be an advantage to have some Japanese culture knowledge before approaching it as the writing is quite subtle with a lot of hidden meaning. The movie was well-received in Japan but outside it, unless you understood the theme, most just passed it off as a simple junior high school puppy love story.
Aug 2, 2020 11:22 PM
Aug 2012
EarlCiel said:
What I really enjoyed about the movie, I think, is the interesting concept of having this blur between reality and the 'supernatural' in this cute story. Creating a story where someone transforms into "someone else" or be able to "step out" of their existing circumstances, and then being given the option of abandoning their life to live another, which in this case, transforming to a cat. I do think that this entire concept was very intentionally set up to convey how in adolescent years, there is this desire to escape from your current situation and even wanting this power to pave your of path of life and live in a way you want to. I do think the movie captured this very well.

I think your interpretation aligns with the Japanese title well. As YamieX mentions, the English title, "A Whisker Away", as cute as it seems, isn't doing viewers any favors.

With regards to the cat transformations - in addition to the whole "escaping one's circumstances" you mention above, I like to think that how the transformation takes effect reflects each character's circumstances.

- For Muge, the cat transformation comes at a time when her family is pulled apart, and she loses the ability to openly speak with her family, which is reflected in her cat form. It's especially hard to watch Muge want to be supportive of Hinode, and when she does get the chance to be frank with him, all she can do is meow.

- For Hinode, his transformation comes after he finds out his family'll lose the pottery shop. At that point in time, the only way Hinode had to truly express himself was through his hand(iwork), and when it comes time for him to put on the cat mask, only his hands transform.

So I think there's an additional and maybe less positive dimension to the message: while "escaping" one's circumstances helps one cope, at some point one will have to face reality. In Hinode's case, he literally "lost touch" with reality when his hands transformed.

Being a sucker for romance, I also want to believe that Tarou-Muge leaving a paw print on Hinode's dish is supposed to be metaphor for Tarou-Muge imprinting on Hinode's own heart. Hinode's grandpa does say something to the effect of "Whatever's troubling you will show in your handiwork".
Aug 4, 2020 8:59 PM

Jul 2017
it could have defenitelly used more character development,
i'm a bit disappointed but it's a solid 7/10 for me.
Aug 11, 2020 11:42 AM

Jun 2017
The only good thing about this ONA are the visuals and animations. The story was so-so and it's not really something I would recommend to anyone who wants an anime recommendation from me.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Aug 15, 2020 11:19 AM
Apr 2020
RegulusX said:
The first half was really good. But, the later part was meh. It was like "oh okay", "that's it?". It was too fictional, like Ghibli, and it feels like it was lazily written. Oh man, Ms. Okada did it again. But, I'll give it 7/10 because it's not that bad. The animation, visual and especially OST was pretty good. Good job!
ikr the ending was soo hurried and bad
Aug 21, 2020 7:34 AM
Jul 2018
There's a Vocaloid GUMI song that talks about a cat's love for a boy... that's what reminded me of that movie.

Although it is a very monotonous story and such that for me takes more merit is its animation.
Aug 21, 2020 8:24 PM

Mar 2018
I honestly thought it would've been way better had the fantastical elements been removed. It seemed to have a really interesting and grounded romantic dramedy at its heart, with a really interesting protagonist to boot, but all the cat stuff seemed to really get in the way. It probably didn't help that cat segments seemed to have a starkly lower writing quality(everything with the villain and the final act was comically bad). I adored Muge, but the journey to winning the heart of the one she loved didn't feel earned, as his development to get there just seemed missing. Even the movie seemed aware that it was in it's own way, half-heartedly wrapping up the actually interesting plot threads silently in the credits. The potential this had was staggering, which is why I'm really sad that it was overall just okay.
Aug 24, 2020 4:58 PM

Jan 2014
The movie was cute! But I feel like this movie would have done better as a series, though? I feel like we only got little bits of pieces of everything when this movie definitely could have gone much deeper. There was a whole cat island to explore but the movie only scratched the surface of it. But other than that, the movie was cute. I actually hope they turn this movie into a series so they can delve deeper into the fantasy themes and the character's relationships.
Sep 1, 2020 3:26 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
For stories of similar nature, I tend to focus on the characters and the emotional resonance I get from the work. For Nakineko, everything was only half-way good. I think the main problem I had was wild Miyo was. Touching butts with your crush??? Jumping off from the bridge??? Crazy. I mean I guess it could be funny, too, but those type of actions felt overboard. Granted, the movie wasn't grounded in reality, the characters were really animated. I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea since I prefer something more like Kokosake, in terms of drama.

Although I found a bit of difficulty connecting with Miyo due to her overboard personality, I did like the scene of her outburst at Kaoru. While it was a hurtful outburst for Kaoru, the scene did a good job at showing the frustration Miyo has kept a lid on, faking her smiles and responding in pleasant ways. That's something I could definitely relate to, always trying to have pleasant interactions, avoiding any possibilities of negative or "too real" conversations. Seriously, who wants other people to see them cry? Kaoru didn't deserve to be yelled at, but Miyo is young, there are still many things she can't process (there are things adults have trouble processing, too).

Running away from reality is definitely relatable. My friend and I, after reading the webtoon "All That We Hope to Be," we still say from time to time that we want to a cat rock. Miyo learns then that there are a lot of people who worry and care about her. I don't think she truly believed that no one cares about her, especially with how nice her father and Kaoru are, as well as her best friend, Yoriko (what an amazing friend, really). Miyo most likely just didn't want to accept that there are people who care about her, or she was too focused on her own pain to really see it.

I wasn't really planning to write too much about this, because ultimately, I do think there's something about the execution or the story that just didn't make it that fun of an experience for me. I can't really pin-point what it is. Hmm, also, I wasn't very sold on Hinode liking Miyo back. But well, it's very possible to be interested in someone who gives you attention, when you usually don't receive much attention, and to put a cherry on top, that person seems to understand you because they heard your true thoughts as a cat.

And as usual, the English title is kind of terrible and not in line with the Japanese title...the meaning is completely changed.

Yorushika songs were great though~ Been listening to them since they were released.
Sep 2, 2020 12:57 AM

Jul 2016
Wasn't expecting much yet it was still rather disappointing. This movie's setting was perfect to explore some interesting family dynamics (Miyo's relationship with her stepmother being the most obvious one) yet it took the romance route without thinking it twice just to ended up with an unconvincing romantic relationship based on constant stalking driven by a very unhealthy obsession.
Seriously, I swear I just can't understand Okada's sense of romance at all. Here, it felt completely forced with Hinode having no real reason for falling in love with her and the idea of Miyo returning from the Cat Island mostly because Hinode returned her feelings was... underwhelming to say the least. Yes, she also wanted to improve her relationship with Kaoru, his father and co. but come on, we all know those aspects were in the farthest sector of her mind.

Anyways, not gonna give this movie so much thought since I found it mediocre at best so I'm just gonna mention how bad I felt for Kaoru and how much I wish the focus she received would have been related to her situation as stepmother instead of giving her screentime only because her beloved cat was missing. She was the only character I cared about and seeing her trying to close the gap between stepmother and stepdaughter throughout the movie without success was actually sad to see.
And then... there was the treatment Miyo's detestable biological mother gave her. Seriously, how toxic can you be? I mean, based on what I saw and understood, it seems there wasn't any cheating and Kaoru's kind demeanour automatically nullifies that option so as far as I'm concerned, Miki was just a frustrated woman who couldn't get over the fact of her husband wanting the divorce. By the way, sending constant hate mails to Kaoru using the daughter you abandoned as excuse? P A T H E T I C.

4/10 - Overall, impressive art and animation, featuring a certain "Ghibli" vibe for moments but story-wise, this movie let a lot to be desired.
SouthRzVaSep 2, 2020 1:03 AM
Sep 2, 2020 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
The first half was really good but the second half was umm.. okay. I didn't thing that the fantasy elements were bad, but I think they could have strengthen the writing in the 2nd part. It just ended like "Oh, it's the end, that was it". Well, atleast it was a happy ending. Also, unlike most other Mari Okada shows, atleast this didn't turn to shit. Once again, Colorido studio doesn't disappoint and delivers with the art and animation. Those backgrounds were beautiful.
Overall, 7/10.
Sep 7, 2020 9:41 AM

Nov 2017
Not really anything special. It was ok. But the Yorushika songs were lit.

Sep 8, 2020 11:21 PM
Jun 2020
The whole first half hour is a complete mess. Scenes come and go quickly without any setup. No idea what's going on and there are some characters that are extra filler that just confuse things. Once she has a fight with her stepmother the movie REALLY gets going. I liked the whole thing with the stepmother and that really set up the decision to remain a cat well. OMG the mask seller was nice and evil...I really wanted him to win and keep her as a cat forever.

There's some good stuff in here...just was kinda average overall
Sep 8, 2020 11:23 PM
Jun 2020
ghifarieaulia said:
Imo this movie is just like an another disney movie but with anime visualization. I was thinking the ending would be great while watching the first half but when this is ended i was just "just like that?" I loved how the drama was going but if this ended like this, i feel less satisfied really.

Talking about the visuals, i really like it. Enjoyable to watch and has an unique art. The story i didn't really like that much but also i didn't hate it so, i gave 6/10 for the story, 9/10 for the visuals, 8/10 characters development , overall 8/10.

The ost is insane btw XD

yeah exaxctly...the ending was set up well but then executed poorly. I think one of them really needed to stay as a cat. :)

make it more tragic.

I loved that the stepmother's cat was the one that really saved the day. THat was great. But the maskseller just became so bumbling at the end and ruined it. They should have made him even more evil and powerful and have at least caused some damage to someone or something
Oct 13, 2020 8:29 PM

Apr 2020
if there are cats, i'm in (^ΦωΦ)

the plot isn't the mooost original but it works. actually I really liked some twists like the family issues.
the main characters are very cute, a bit innocent but not annoying. I felt a little frequent the plot convenience, but I think it's fine for a movie that doesn't last that long.
the art/ animation it's kind a Ghibli meets Tatsuyuki Nagai but lighter... or more watery, meaby? idk. the studio doesn't have many production but it seems polished

edit: ONA not movie

And I really like character design and personality of
_anitaOct 21, 2020 5:41 PM
Nov 15, 2020 9:40 AM

Apr 2016
A good movie for the whole family with a nice message on top of it. Not a fan of cats at all but this one i liked. But God i wanted to slap Muge for how she treated her step-mom.

7/10
Nov 16, 2020 5:22 PM
May 2019
It made me upset that she didn't thought of her (best and only) friend for a second. So that made the movie a little unpleasant for me.

Then, about this "plot", that only Hinode could save her. It's sad that she's so condicioned to a boy at her age that neither her parents, stepmother nor bf could save her from herself.

Once they wanted Hinode to be her prince, they had to make him love her instantly after he found out she was Taro. It doesn't make sense, it's weird, kinda of zoofilia feelings. The producers could just made them friends that like each other at the end, it would be cute and a little more realistic.

Besides, I really loved Kaoru.
Nov 18, 2020 7:20 AM
Apr 2016
It got really dragged on by the end, but the first half was incredibly fun and good.
Nov 30, 2020 7:47 AM

Jul 2019
That was an ok movie, it is a shame that the second half of the film was really stupid though. I can't believe they just half-assed it like that. *sigh* and I was getting my hopes up.

Have to say the visuals looked weirder towards the end too, not sure if that was a me thing but that is what I got.

Idk what to say, should I disappointed or not.
Dec 6, 2020 11:53 AM

Dec 2014
ok like wow the story was good and ending was not open ended....

this is all I look in the story...animation and elements were good too btw
Dec 17, 2020 1:17 AM

May 2015
It was pretty cute, but no more than that
Yorushika didn't disappoint
8/10
Dec 25, 2020 4:28 PM

Jul 2015
Making deals with a shady anthropomorphic cat, getting close to the person they love by utilizing their special move HINODE SUPRISE ATTACK! and almost permanently turning into a cat. Never knew schoolgirls were this weird and stange by taking the catgirl thing to a new level. Jokes aside, enjoyable movie which really reminded me of a catversion Spirited away. Kinda wish they showed a bit of her initial reaction on turning into a cat and also the second half felts kinda meh with the the random human cats suddenly saving the day against the villain

Jan 5, 2021 4:51 AM

Feb 2009
Absolutely stunning movie. Some of the visuals were really superb, and the storyline was just what I wanted. My girlfriend also loved it =O

Anime often tends towards one-dimensional, subdued, and passive female characters which are much less interesting.
So I really appreciated the strong, outgoing, and quirky female lead in Muge - she felt very lively and fresh.

Jan 14, 2021 7:59 PM

Apr 2019
Started off so well, pretty sad that it dropped so much in quality afterwards.

Jan 29, 2021 3:40 PM
Dec 2020
i think you guys missed the point. She is not annoying she just saw everything the boy went through and she was the only one that knows about it. So she wanted to cheer him up.. serously did you guys even watch it till the end or are you just dumb
Feb 23, 2021 10:30 AM

Jan 2017
I liked it. It felt like a Shinkai movie and a Ghibli movie had a one-night stand and this was the beautiful result.
Feb 24, 2021 9:25 PM

Mar 2018
RegulusX said:
The first half was really good. But, the later part was meh. It was like "oh okay", "that's it?". It was too fictional, like Ghibli, and it feels like it was lazily written. Oh man, Ms. Okada did it again. But, I'll give it 7/10 because it's not that bad. The animation, visual and especially OST was pretty good. Good job!
ye u r right the first part was good until they go to cats island and stuff feels gibli after that lol...but i really like the 1st hour of this movie still a good movie to watch with a haooy ending lol...
Mar 1, 2021 1:50 AM

Sep 2018
I loveeeeeeeee this movie so much T_____T I loveeee Muge, I loveeee Hinode ❤️❤️ I really love it when Muge mention Hinode's name. She's so cute!! Big kudos to Muge's VA.. her voice really fit to Muge. I cried on "confession" scene! Her classmates is so terrible to read her love letter!! I cried when Hinode says he hates Muge wahhhh

I love the ending scene and the ED song. 10/10 ❤️❤️
Apr 9, 2021 10:09 PM

May 2019
Really nice movie, i was specting a lot less.

- Superb art, sometimes remembered me Makoto Shinkai
- Some characters was very nice, like Muge's BFF.

Anyways, Muge is a pain on the ass, stupid, selfish, "first world problems" BUT that is the point of this story, and she almost was turned into a cat forever (for a short life) to learn something.

8/10, almost 9, but i feel ill forget thus movie. If next year i still remember it, so 9 it will be.
Apr 9, 2021 10:12 PM

May 2019
Btw, worries that every Neko have access to a supernatural city where they live like humans, probably planing world domination and human genocide.

Yikes, NOPE. Raise dogs, not cats. Look how the former Haru was a CUTE innocent dog!
Apr 13, 2021 2:58 PM

Nov 2018
First half was good, but the writing fell off in quality throughout the second half of the film, which made me a bit disappointed really.

6/10

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Apr 25, 2021 12:04 AM

Sep 2012
I literally dropped this movie because of that one cringe ass scene in the beginning of the movie. This girl took off her shoes just to act like a cringe cat and then she did a butt attack? Cringe as fuck.
May 8, 2021 6:34 PM

Jul 2013
This movie reminds me of Studio Ghibli's 'The Cat Returns' & also a bit of 'Kimi No Na Wa' ~
It gave me this nostalgic feeling that made me a bit teary at the end.

The music was amazing of course, as I am a fan of Yorushika for a long time.
The animation, and the voice actors & actresses were really good too!
Storyline is quite nice, and wild. Although I do wish it had more interactions with the main leads to build up a stronger romance feeling.
However, it still turned out nicely.

I enjoyed watching this movie!
May 16, 2021 4:05 PM
Dec 2020
A Whisker away?
Ok, the movie was fine, i hate yori tho

6/10
May 31, 2021 7:50 PM
Jan 2019
its a good movie, decent to watch. The story was not to impressive, but its not bad too. 9/10 for me, every movie that made me cry, i definitely will rate 8>
GeleyMay 31, 2021 9:14 PM
Jun 7, 2021 4:44 PM

Aug 2017
It was ok. Not as good as Spirited Away
Jun 7, 2021 9:07 PM

May 2014
Guys, I have to admit one thing. This movie was better than I expected.

I gave with pleasure 8.5/10.

The story is full and not told too quickly. The love thread is beautifully explained. The characters are really well presented. OST is brilliant. It's been a long time since I cried at the end of anime, but this time, I shed a few tears.

I really recommend and this movie is at the level of bestsellers such as Koe no Katachi.
### ||| 私はアニメと日本文化が大好きです ||| ###"Kago-ni noru hito, katsugu hito, sono mata waraji-o tsukuru." ###
Jul 29, 2021 1:54 PM
Jun 2021
Its good! Beautiful Endings!
Aug 17, 2021 10:00 PM
Mar 2021
am i the only one who doesn’t understand hinode suddenly falling in love with muge?? it threw me off bc it just seemed like it came out of nowhere
Oct 3, 2021 10:24 AM

Mar 2008
It's not bad

score: ! 07/10
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » should i watch?

mrjdko - May 7, 2022

37 by Miryy »»
Dec 10, 2023 8:59 AM

» How's the romance?

DhoX - Mar 19, 2021

16 by Miryy »»
Dec 10, 2023 8:58 AM

» Who is that brown tabby cat?

Karren_ - Jun 18, 2020

14 by Animecatlover101 »»
Oct 27, 2023 7:57 PM

» About mask seller.....

YagamiYash - Jul 25, 2021

5 by mo_lave »»
Aug 12, 2023 7:04 PM

» Why is this listed as an ONA?

Junelovesanime - Nov 6, 2021

7 by EmmanuelPlath »»
Nov 21, 2021 4:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.