Forum Settings
Forums

Do you listen to music while reading a manga?

New
Jun 12, 2020 11:27 AM

Nov 2017
If yes/no, why?

Personally, I listen to a LOT of music while reading manga. That is because I feel like it gets boring without music. I just don't feel any suspense while reading in a quiet room.

What about you?
"๐—˜๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜†๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐˜† ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป'๐˜ ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐˜… ๐—ถ๐—ป๐˜€๐—ถ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—บ. ๐—œ๐˜ ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐—ป'๐˜ ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ถ๐—ณ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐˜† ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ด๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ฑ ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฏ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ, ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐˜† ๐˜๐—ฟ๐˜†. ๐—ฌ๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ฝ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐˜€๐˜‚๐—ฝ๐—ฝ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜ ๐—ถ๐—ป ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜„๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—น๐—ฑ... ๐—”๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐˜€๐˜๐—ถ๐—นl ๐˜„๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ๐—ป'๐˜ ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐—ฏ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐˜ ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐˜† ๐—ถ๐˜. ๐—”๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป'๐˜ ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐˜…, ๐—ถ๐˜€ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜† ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น ๐—ฎ ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—ป'๐˜€ ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐˜๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฒ."
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 12, 2020 11:46 AM

Feb 2020
Never tried it, but sounds great. So how do you do it? Do you like play soundtracks that match the genre (suspense, creepy, etc.) or do you just put random calm/lo-fi music?

Edit: typo
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2020 11:52 AM

Nov 2017
SagarSR said:
Never tried it, but sounds great. So how do you do it? Do you like play soundtracks that match the genre (suspense, creepy, etc.) or do you just put random calm/lo-fi music?

Edit: typo

Yep. I do usually play the music compatible with the theme or genre, but I don't have a specific playlist or soundtrack for EVERY genre. I usually just search up the type of song that immediately pops up in my mind while reading a manga. Say, I am reading a light-hearted manga with comedy, I'll probably listen to something suitable.

If you arent bothered by noise while reading manga, listening to music is a pretty great and refreshing way to interpret a manga.
"๐—˜๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜†๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐˜† ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป'๐˜ ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐˜… ๐—ถ๐—ป๐˜€๐—ถ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—บ. ๐—œ๐˜ ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐—ป'๐˜ ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ถ๐—ณ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐˜† ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ด๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ฑ ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฏ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ, ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐˜† ๐˜๐—ฟ๐˜†. ๐—ฌ๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ฝ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐˜€๐˜‚๐—ฝ๐—ฝ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜ ๐—ถ๐—ป ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜„๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—น๐—ฑ... ๐—”๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐˜€๐˜๐—ถ๐—นl ๐˜„๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ๐—ป'๐˜ ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐—ฏ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐˜ ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐˜† ๐—ถ๐˜. ๐—”๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป'๐˜ ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐˜…, ๐—ถ๐˜€ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜† ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฑ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น ๐—ฎ ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—ป'๐˜€ ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐˜๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฒ."
Jun 12, 2020 5:01 PM
Jan 2019
Yes! If the manga has an anime I'll put its soundtrack on. If not, I'll put the soundtrack of a similar genre of a soundtrack that fits the mood on. For example, I used the made in abyss soundtrack for the 7 seeds manga (It has an anime now but the soundtrack seems kinda meh to me). If I'm reading a comedy or romance, something lighthearted, ill just put on lo-fi or something. Reading without music just feels odd to me and makes reading less enjoyable I guess
Jun 12, 2020 5:03 PM

Mar 2018
i usually listen to a random soundtrack or just anime opening/endings in full version because its better to read manga with music imo.
Jun 12, 2020 5:05 PM

May 2018
Depends, sometimes I do, but usually I just like to read in silence. That being said, I read the entire Eclipse in Berserk with this song in loop:

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Jun 12, 2020 5:06 PM

Feb 2016
No. although is being pretty hard to find some silence.
The battle is over.
Show respect for the fallen
who fought so bravely.
Jun 13, 2020 3:22 AM
Jul 2018
i can multi task in about anything else, but for manga i have to be in a quiet environment.

music is distracting while i read it because my brain just creates it for me? not sure how to describe it, but while reading it in silence, my brain comes up with voices for the characters and sometimes background music. kind of like a movie
Jun 13, 2020 3:47 AM

Nov 2017
rometrache said:
i can multi task in about anything else, but for manga i have to be in a quiet environment.

music is distracting while i read it because my brain just creates it for me? not sure how to describe it, but while reading it in silence, my brain comes up with voices for the characters and sometimes background music. kind of like a movie

That is actually quite interesting. For me, music is not even close to distracting, lol. It actually helps me concentrate more. It's the same for when I am studying, so I guess I am a deviant.
Jun 13, 2020 3:48 AM

Aug 2018
If you find something that fits the manga well it is an absolute life hack
_______I like rocks__
Jun 13, 2020 12:17 PM

Jan 2019
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't here...
Music isn't something i listen to in general and its particularly hard for me to read while listening to it. Complete silence is my preferred environment but I can cancel out background noises fine too.
Jun 13, 2020 1:01 PM

Nov 2017
NQK002 said:
Music isn't something i listen to in general and its particularly hard for me to read while listening to it. Complete silence is my preferred environment but I can cancel out background noises fine too.

Damn. You missing out on a lot, to be honest. Doesn't it get kind of boring when there is complete silence? I find it to be harder to get hyped up in certain situations without music.
Jun 13, 2020 1:55 PM

Jan 2019
AliAnimeCrack said:
NQK002 said:

Damn. You missing out on a lot, to be honest. Doesn't it get kind of boring when there is complete silence? I find it to be harder to get hyped up in certain situations without music.

It's literally the opposite for me! Sounds distract me and everything I read is so much more impactful if I'm alone in quiet. If it's mystery, then the suspense just gets upped by a hundred levels and if it's something sweet, it's feels more touching.
That said, i don't read action manga too much since I prefer anime in that genre, so we are comparing pretty different kinds of situations here.
Jun 13, 2020 2:25 PM

Nov 2017
NQK002 said:
AliAnimeCrack said:

It's literally the opposite for me! Sounds distract me and everything I read is so much more impactful if I'm alone in quiet. If it's mystery, then the suspense just gets upped by a hundred levels and if it's something sweet, it's feels more touching.
That said, i don't read action manga too much since I prefer anime in that genre, so we are comparing pretty different kinds of situations here.

Haha, we are different. For me, I listen to music while doing pretty much anything, so I guess that's my life. Listening to music while writing this, lmao. It actually helps me with everything. Writing, studying, reading, playing etc. Quite literally anything.

ell
NQK002 said:
AliAnimeCrack said:

Haha, we are different. I listen to music everytime I do anything, so I guess that's just my life. Listening right now, while writing lmao. It helps me every daily talks. Whether that be writing, reading, studying, playing etc. Quite literally helps me in everything.

To be honest, it doesn't ONLY go for action manga. If it's comedy, I put on a lighthearted tune. If it's mystery, some kind of dark tune. You get it by now.
Jun 13, 2020 6:33 PM

Sep 2017
Not music exactly, but ambient sounds and musics

I began to do that while reading Barakamon. Having a slow accoustic guitar and ciccadas playing in the background was top notch for getting immersed in the setting, and I really felt like I was on the island

More recently I listened to darker/creepier ambient music while reading some manwha like Bastard, Sweet Home and Pigpen
And now I just finished a reading session of Fumetsu no Anata e with some celtic ambient music in the background, it really fits !
Jun 13, 2020 6:44 PM

Oct 2017
As someone who watches anime more than I read manga, music plays a huge role in immersion and enjoyment. I do the same as others in this thread and play playlists or OSTs that correlate well with whatever genre I am reading.

Example: I am currently reading Solo Leveling and the Bungou Stray Dogs OST fits quite well with it.
TetenshiJun 13, 2020 6:48 PM
Jun 13, 2020 6:48 PM

Nov 2017
Yeah, it makes reading 'em more enjoyable for me
Jun 13, 2020 7:27 PM

Dec 2016
I either play Gut's Theme from berserk on loop or have anything with people talking in the background, like a boring podcasts or something. I like to hear people talking as background noise..........
Jun 13, 2020 8:28 PM
Jul 2016
nope, i could never XD it'll ruin my reading pacing and i'll mix up the song with the reading ^^;;
Jun 14, 2020 12:02 AM
Jul 2018
AliAnimeCrack said:
rometrache said:

That is actually quite interesting. For me, music is not even close to distracting, lol. It actually helps me concentrate more. It's the same for when I am studying, so I guess I am a deviant.

it helps me when i study, but thats about it. i cant multitask with music otherwise haha
Jun 14, 2020 12:05 AM
Discord Moderator
Feb 2014
Haven't tried it, but actually think I will now when i continue reading Tokyo Revengers haha
Jun 14, 2020 12:32 AM

Nov 2017
Kirasaka said:
Haven't tried it, but actually think I will now when i continue reading Tokyo Revengers haha

Tokyo Revengers is the SHIT. Hope you won't drop it.
Jun 14, 2020 12:43 AM
Nov 2019
Occasionally I listen to instrumentals if it fits the theme or vibe of the manga. Most of the time I like to read in silence though as I feel I can concentrate more.
Jun 14, 2020 1:05 AM
Discord Moderator
Feb 2014
AliAnimeCrack said:
Kirasaka said:

Tokyo Revengers is the SHIT. Hope you won't drop it.

I'm already like a 120 odd chapters in haha so I won't drop it don't worry.
Jun 15, 2020 12:33 AM

Jun 2010
Strangely at the moment I'm listening to Fruits Basket Theme song while watching its anime. Well, I'm also reading manga. I kinda like anime music though I also like others like instrumental, orchestra, and classical. :)
Jun 15, 2020 1:05 AM
Sep 2018
I feel like I have answered this question before on a different thread but yes I would listen to music whenever I would read a manga.
SylveaJun 15, 2020 1:52 AM
Jun 16, 2020 11:57 AM

Jul 2019
No, I never tried it but when I'm listening to my anime OPs, I know my head is gonna focus on that so if I'm jamming out to Departure by Masatoshi Ono, I doubt I'll be able to focus on the manga I'm reading
Jun 16, 2020 12:35 PM

Sep 2017
I either put ost from it's anime if they're good or just go on youtube and search for themed musics.
yikes
Jun 16, 2020 12:36 PM

Aug 2017
Sometimes, but music without text otherwise I wouldn't be able to concentrate
Jun 16, 2020 1:19 PM

Apr 2019
Music kinda distracts me from reading, but I like playing fitting ambiance to immerse myself more, e.g. forest sounds for Hakumei & Mikochi, desolate ambiance for Girls Last Tour etc.

Damuzen said:
Not music exactly, but ambient sounds and musics

I began to do that while reading Barakamon. Having a slow accoustic guitar and ciccadas playing in the background was top notch for getting immersed in the setting, and I really felt like I was on the island

More recently I listened to darker/creepier ambient music while reading some manwha like Bastard, Sweet Home and Pigpen
And now I just finished a reading session of Fumetsu no Anata e with some celtic ambient music in the background, it really fits !

Basically this
Jun 16, 2020 3:57 PM

Aug 2019
Yes.
It turns reading into an intense and personal experience (if you can find the right music)
The music I listen to is only instrumental, lots of lo-fi and so on.
็งใ ใ‘ใŒ่‡ชๅˆ†ใฎๅคขใ‚’่ฆ‹ใฆใ„ใ‚‹ใฎใ 
Jul 11, 2020 2:49 PM

Aug 2019
i create playlists for each specific manga i read
Jul 11, 2020 3:04 PM

Feb 2018
Usually no. I get distracted and can't focus on what I'm reading. Depends on the manga though- I like listening to instrumentals if I do listen :)

“Life is like a mountain – you can say you’ve reached the top, but only after climbing back down.”

“Happiness depends on each person. If you think you’re happy, then you must be happy.”

“Anime – it’s not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.”

Jul 11, 2020 5:26 PM

Sep 2017
Not really but that sounds great.
Might try it some day
ุฎ
Jul 11, 2020 6:21 PM

Apr 2013
I don't; I get distracted and can't get myself immersed if I'm not reading in silence.
Jul 11, 2020 6:43 PM

Sep 2015
Daaamn I have tried, youtube videos also. Just doesn't work for me
Jul 11, 2020 7:11 PM

Apr 2010
Hell yes. Especially for battle manga. I throw on some Metal core or Rap and it makes it 10x more hype.
Jul 11, 2020 8:14 PM

Jan 2020
Very rarely. Although I don't dislike it, a silent read is more enjoyable to me.
Jul 11, 2020 8:18 PM

Sep 2017
i don’t, i find it hard to concentrate on what i’m reading if there is music on. maybe if it was music without words i would try.
[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]

Jul 12, 2020 1:54 AM

Feb 2020
Once in a while. Especially if this manga has an anime, then i listen to the OST from this show.

////////
Jul 12, 2020 2:52 AM

Apr 2015
Sometimes, usually when I don't listen to music I tend to get too absorbed to the story.
Jul 12, 2020 10:41 AM

Apr 2015
Yes, but only cause I always listen to music no matter what I'm doing on the computer. Never thought of listening to particular music to enhance my reading experience, I might try it next time.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jul 12, 2020 2:22 PM

Nov 2018
not really because I usually read before bed and I think with/without music doesn't really affect me that much
Jul 13, 2020 9:58 AM

Feb 2010
I used to sometimes, but never often and not in a few years. When I read I just don't need music, I'd rather not split my focus between music and visual input. The manga I read deserve my full attention, from text to artwork.

Also I would probably just blend out the music anyway once I get immersed, because I usually blend out everything around me when I do. It would just become background noise like anything else.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 13, 2020 1:32 PM

May 2018
Yeah music without lyrics, otherwise I'll get confused while reading. Soundtracks and stuff like that.
Jul 13, 2020 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
yes otherwise i get bored and space out. it helps me concentrate
Jul 13, 2020 2:55 PM

Aug 2010
Yes I really enjoy doing this.

It has to be specific music that suits the atmosphere of the manga. Usually instrumental, but sometimes it works with vocals too. It makes it feel like a movie.

Now, whenever I listen to that music I will remember the scenes from the manga as well. So the manga is also adding to my enjoyment of the music.
Jul 13, 2020 3:27 PM

Oct 2018
Yeah, even because everything with music gets better.

I particularly like to listen to quieter songs with a sadder atmosphere, but that depends a lot on the kind of manga i'm reading

ใ€Œ้—‡ใฎๅŠ›ใ‚’็ง˜ใ‚ใ—้ตใ‚ˆ,
็œŸใฎๅงฟใ‚’ๆˆ‘ใฎๅ‰ใซ็คบใ› ๅฅ‘็ด„ใฎใ‚‚ใจใ€
ใ•ใใ‚‰ใŒๅ‘ฝใ˜ใ‚‹ใ€€ๅฐๅฐ่งฃ้™ค
๏ผˆใƒฌใƒชใƒผใ‚บ๏ผ‰๏ผใ€

find me: twitter × tvtime × dotpict
Jul 13, 2020 3:56 PM
Jul 2018
I do both, dead silence or music, though I prefer music without words when I'm reading or I will try to sing along.
Jul 13, 2020 3:57 PM

May 2018
If it's a slice of life: pop, calm stuff

sci-fi, something like Blame!: dark, experimental electronic music
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
9 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
11 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
11 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Yesterday, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Apr 23, 10:43 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.