Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2020 8:02 AM

Sep 2017
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Just re-read that and even if it didn't convey the same emotions as the original chapter but it was still super cool to read , phenomenal art coupled with the one of the best fight of East Blue Saga. Looking forward to the next Boichi Oda collab for Ace's Novel.
ItachiDxDJun 20, 2020 10:05 AM
yikes
Jun 20, 2020 8:42 AM

Jan 2011
I wasn't expecting it to be so one to one to the original chapter.
Nov 16, 2020 11:59 PM

Aug 2012
Yeah, this was almost exactly one for one, even down to the Cover story, really was expecting some kind of unique cover it's so strange that he opted to adopt the cover story page as well. That did kind of set me up to expect it to be the original chapter with re-drawn, which was really all this was.

The new drawings are great though, and there were some better craft applications here, the panel where Mihawk stabs Zoro and his coat floats onto the next page was a really cool shot that helps emphases the gap between them, Mihawk's speed and strength superiority to Zoro.

Another thing Boichi did for a lot of the action scenes, was add sort of cinematic bars to the pages. It's something that can definitely add a lot to action sequences, Samurai Jack is proof of that, but I don't think they work here. Like, he's definitely trying to evoke that same sensation I feel, the two samurai's about to draw in a duel in a western standoff type of vibe because otherwise those lines are pointless, but I don't think he implemented them very effectively here. For starters, they're too small so they hardly add any visual flare, and more importantly, they stretch across both pages from top to bottom, so they're not highlighting any individual moments. Like in Samurai Jack, the reason those boxed in panel shots are so effective is because they're chosen to highlight specific moments in the fight. It's designed to make the specific actions stand out. When you just border the entire page, none of the panels stand out because of it. So rather than highlighting stand-out moments, it just kind of feels like a background detail. Like when you play older games on a collection like Mega Man Legacy or the SNES Classic, those black bars don't feel like part of the action, they just feel like a different wallpaper. That was really disappointing.

Otherwise it's still fine. The art itself is great, Zoro's tearful I won't lose again promise to Luffy especially was good.
Sep 7, 2021 11:40 AM

Jul 2021
ngl the art looked much better than compared to the original and it's also my favorite moment from baratie
Mar 31, 1:29 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
cool adaptation. added a few little details (like more Luffy attacks on Mihawk) plus the art was great

More topics from this board

» Why has this not been approved yet?

SaggyFatface - Feb 3, 2020

4 by SaggyFatface »»
Jun 2, 2020 1:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.