Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 6, 2020 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, Rikuo's gift to Shinako is honestly the type I had expected coming from him. Haru in the meantime got all dressed up for the Christmas holiday occasion.

The point of narrative from Haru was interesting to see her feelings in this drama. Looks like the anime continues to develop more into Rikuo and Shinako's relationship further with the date.
Jun 6, 2020 10:00 AM

Feb 2018
It seems like they are having their respective nights, even though this is not a date but the atmosphere is very comfortable, I don't think long distance contact with the telephone is not a bad idea.

I thought that if a boy and a girl in the same room would have the possibility of sex, but no. A falling coffee messes things up, really. They talked about the past even though they were very close before, now only left shame.

Damn you coffee
Jun 6, 2020 11:26 AM

Feb 2019
I know a lot of people don’t like that this doesn’t have an OP, but I actually really like that. It takes away the “anime-y” feel and just lets you dive into the story a if it’s just a scene change from ep to ep. Good direction choice imo

I’m just looking for a Haru in a world full of Shinako’s , have to protecc https://imgur.com/a/hytB6Pq

Shinako and Uozumi may seem cute on the outside, but tbh the awkwardness between them isn’t conducive to a healthy relationship and is pretty uncomfortable to watch. It’s like they’re in love with the idea of each other rather than the actual person.

On the other hand, when he’s with Haru, it’s a much more organic, fun and lively situation. You shouldn’t have to plan your every action and reaction when hanging out with someone.

Love the ED for this ep! Can’t wait for next week
Jun 6, 2020 11:35 AM

Oct 2017
I can't say I feel happy about Rikuo giving that necklace to Shinako tbh but hey he atleast told her that he didn't buy it himself.
Jun 6, 2020 11:38 AM

Jul 2017
The Christmas Carol continues with Shinako showing up at the party unannounced, and the surprised Rikuo as happy as ever. But it's nice to see both of their friends cunning supporting Rikuo's confession to Shinako going forward. And giving her an unused gift is the start of it all...to the guy, it's lost affection, but for the woman, it's sincerity.

Haru though...I'm legitmately scared of the implications of Rikuo's kind-heartedness towards her. As much as Rikuo wants as end to her aggressiveness, he's left with pondering thought.

New Year's, and it seems that Rikuo and Shinako is gonna hit it good for the very first time, a date (but cheekily didn't want to sound awkward about it). Even at her place, it's all dreary feelings and all, filled with nervousness (at least for Rikuo).

The feelings of lost love, and pushing it again, it's NOT the same if age catches up with lost feelings, they DO need a push towards each other (if there's ANY hope of them both being able to love one another). But then again, WHO ARE WE to say that "one should act this/that way"? Love isn't something that can be explained in detail.

What an intriguing episode. Plus, new ED, better than Sayuri's but GOAT is still the 1st ED.
KANLen09Jun 6, 2020 12:14 PM
Jun 6, 2020 11:41 AM

Feb 2020
Why can’t Haru just find a real man it breaks my heart seeing her chase that bum rikuo... she’s too good for him
Shinako even thinks rikuo could lay pipe if he wasn’t such a beta and the thing about her taking it slow is just Absolutely hilarious like she wasn’t already 7 years way too slow Great Ep I think it’s up there for one of my favorites love the outro song
OneofEvilJun 6, 2020 2:48 PM

Jun 6, 2020 11:42 AM

Jul 2016
Intense episode for Rikuo and Shinako. I thought "omg, finally a kiss!?!?" but not this time yet.

Love so much the new ending theme! Every frame is so beautiful! I wonder if it was Ilya Kuvshinov who did the art since he's involved with the production.
Jun 6, 2020 11:43 AM

Apr 2020
New ending! Good because that last one broke my heart on every episode.
I'm starting to like Rikuo and Shinako relationship, but every episode I worry more about Haru :(
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Jun 6, 2020 11:44 AM

Mar 2016
So, is Shinako willing to really turn the page this time? I hope so. Anyways, maybe this time the awkward couple can get together, at a slow pace but it's something. I want to know what was that noise Haru listened, also I didn't liked the phone call Rikuo got just by the end.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jun 6, 2020 11:50 AM
Nov 2019
Jdr1 said:
New ending! Good because that last one broke my heart on every episode.
I'm starting to like Rikuo and Shinako relationship, but every episode I worry more about Haru :(
I know I’m scared the further we get of what bad ending could await her
Jun 6, 2020 11:51 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode.
So we have more of Rikuo and Shinako relationship in this episode.

That ED song came out of nowhere and the ending has me worried.

Jun 6, 2020 12:02 PM

Apr 2020
lately, we often see the closeness of Rikuo with Shinako.

We have got a new Ending song and its good

Jun 6, 2020 12:16 PM
Aug 2008
i give this anime 8/10 for now

If Rikuo ends up with the ex 9/10
If he ends up with Rou 10/10

waiting for plot twist

(Haru fan~~)
Jun 6, 2020 12:19 PM

Feb 2018
Finally some development between Rikuo and Shinako and wtf was that last scene did something happen to haru
Jun 6, 2020 12:20 PM

Jul 2019
any episode without the brat is a good episode
Jun 6, 2020 12:28 PM
ザクシャ イン ラブ

Aug 2016
Just like Shinako is taking things slowly, Rikuo finally acts in an assertive manner to progress their relationship. It was nice seeing the tension / nervousness between the two finally become addressed. The last scene with the phone call, presumably from Haru looks to be something that will definitely change things up though.

On another note, the new ED songs is literally just repetition of the title Yesterday wo Utatte, (sing yesterday for me).
Jun 6, 2020 12:30 PM

Jul 2017
Better episode than the last few weeks for me. The pacing was so goddamn sluggish to get through for the anime's last few episodes that I was worried for the future, but this was not too bad. Probably since the character interactions (especially with Shinako and Rikuo) were a lot more solid this time around, and I am liking their chemistry improving and improving each passing minute here. It didn't feel like it wasted too much time, and the visuals were more consistent and well drawn here.
So a solid effort I guess overall.

However, not really a fan of them constantly switching around the ED for no real reason at completely random times. Song was alright but actually made me feel the same way I felt with the previous weeks' episodes. Sleepy.
Jun 6, 2020 12:34 PM

Aug 2019
that cliffhanger at the end though
Jun 6, 2020 12:39 PM

Jan 2019
Was not expecting that embrace between Shinako and Uozomi. I thought he'd just chicken out and go home after spilling the coffee, but wow.

The art for the new ED is kinda weird, like it's from a webtoon or something. The song for it hits all the right beats though, pretty good.
Jun 6, 2020 1:00 PM

May 2018
Oh that Rikou and Shinako moment, very annoying, it could have been the moment were both of them should've banged each other.
Jun 6, 2020 1:05 PM

Sep 2017
Csaba said:

waiting for plot twist

(Haru fan~~)

Man of culture indeed...

Jun 6, 2020 1:18 PM
𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

Apr 2020
Everything was so awkward in this episode, the gift, the call, the coffee, both the hugs...

Feel really bad for Haru though. I bet Rikuo does too. She kinda puts him in a dilemma, but even if he accepts her, it would be out of pity and Haru doesn't want that. But she can't help it, she can't help feeling good after seeing Rikuo or being clingy. Part of me wants Rikuo-Shinako to be a thing and at the same time I feel bad...

How many new EDs are we gonna get? Can't say I don't like this one better than the previous one though. First ED still the best.

Ending felt pretty interesting, intruder at Haru's house? I hope everything ends up fine
Csaba said:

Cool...
Jun 6, 2020 1:32 PM
Mar 2015
Most awkward date ever
Jun 6, 2020 1:32 PM

Apr 2015
Haru sitting outside at Rikuo's door was a bit hard to watch, the girl wants to be with him so much that she will do what it takes!! Her facial expressions outside and her sounds of curiosity inside were god damn adorable!!!!

Wait what?

I got respect for Rikuo admitting he didn't get the gift for Shinako himself, atleast he was being honest! It did trigger some events though. Spending New Year's Eve together with the just the two of them was really nice!!

But that scene where Rikuo actually put an arm around Shinako embracing her a little, I thought that was the moment... progress!! Either Shinako was longing for it or she became even more nervous when he put his arm around her! Here I was wishing they would atleast kiss right there...

This episode took ages to go by!

That cliffhanger with so little context though... WHY?!
Jun 6, 2020 1:33 PM
May 2016
Ah I really love this anime. More than who ends up with whom, I’m just sort of enjoying the build up. Here we have Rikuo and his crush on Shinako. They like the idea of each other, almost like stable adults who SHOULD probably get together. But then do they actually love each other? And then we have Haru and she just genuinely likes Rikuo. He’s is not a security net or substitution for her. Which is sort of how Shinako views Rikuo.

I think Rikuo will and should end up with Haru but this process of them figuring it out and the slow build up is really nice to watch.
Jun 6, 2020 1:37 PM

Jul 2017
Csaba said:

waiting for plot twist

(Haru fan~~)

I really want to see Chika again, loved that character.
Jun 6, 2020 1:44 PM

Dec 2015
Strong episode. Also the ending was nice. (Music and the style/visuals.)
While I usually did not like Shinako ... in this episode the moments with her were great.

I get the feeling that they are really making progress towars a "best friends" kind of relationship. They seem different (she likes hot weather, he like sthe cold) ... tense mood and stuff. Only hugging at the end (no kiss).

Haru making good progress. She even got invited. He told her to stop waiting for him. But that might change.
Jun 6, 2020 1:58 PM
Nov 2019
That phone call - Is Rikuo going to be Haru's knight in shining armour or will he decide she's just a scared little kid? Or it could be Shinako calling him back?

Just over half-way now.

Not sure I like the new ED.

Jun 6, 2020 2:38 PM

Jan 2018
Yep, Shinako and Uozumi's kinda awkward right now.

Why did it end there? I hope nothing bad happens to Haru.
Jun 6, 2020 2:39 PM

Feb 2016
Even though I hate every character of this messy pile of trash, I'm glad Haru is getting the L as Shinako is finally doing some movements, Haru does nothing but stalk Rikuo even tho he told her to stop doing that.

That said, every character infuriates me to a degree is unimaginable. If a normal person were to say that their gift was the gift of someone else, he/she would receive a slap on their faces for being exceedingly insensitive (Certainly, I would be disappointed). There are times a lie is better than the truth.

OneofEvil said:
Why can’t Haru just find a real man it breaks my heart seeing her chase that bum rikuo... she’s too good for him

It's not as if Rikuo hasn't told her to stop looking out for him right? oh wait...

At this point she's just doing this to herself.
CrimsonWandererJun 6, 2020 2:47 PM
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jun 6, 2020 2:41 PM
Nov 2019
So i see people who are starting to like shinako, which is fair enough like who you wanna like but it seems like every episode she just makes me angry when i look at her. I love this anime but she ruins it
Jun 6, 2020 2:48 PM

Feb 2020
One more week and oh my lord yes ...
One more episode from my favorite of the season: Yesterday wo Utatte!

OK, this is really moving forward now, each episode means new steps for the characters (especially Shinako) and they are getting more mature in some ways.

However, I feel that Uozumi and Shinako are unclear on what they want from each other, while the interaction between Haru and Uozumi seems more natural.

Another thing is that (I don't know why) this episode seemed much more realistic to me, showing us that many times we don't even know what we want and we took the wrong path due to our own inexperience.

Great episode overall and what an amazing ED, sounds great!

I am looking forward to the next episode!

#Haru
Jun 6, 2020 2:49 PM

Sep 2015
How could Rikou and Shinako be so boring yet so adorable at the same time? I was feeling butterflies in m stomach during the whole episode
Jun 6, 2020 2:51 PM

Nov 2018
Was so happy to see new ending with Kuvshinov Ilya's arts, I honestly started watching this title because of his obsession with it and I'm so happy he was able to animate scenes and draw for this ED ♥

Meanwhile Shinako and Rikuo are slowly moving forward, I'm so happy for them but at the same time seeing Haru being friendzone is really sad, I always thought she was main girl in this anime q__q
Jun 6, 2020 3:05 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
I loved this episode! I really like Uozomi as a character. He's honest, he respects other people's wishes, and he actually progresses. First, being honest about the origin of the present was absolutely the correct decision. Honesty is essential to building the trust necessary for a successful relationship, even if it seems a little harsh in the moment. Second, it is certainly true that the relationship between him and Shinako has been glacial in its progress, but I just can't agree with the opinion that as soon as a girl gives the slightest hint of wanting more of a relationship it immediately means time to have sex. He showed just enough assertiveness to make it clear that he still wants the relationship to progress, but respected Shinako's desire for that progress to be slow. That is the epitome of manliness.

It was also nice to see that Haru isn't down for the count. Although I like the manner in which Uozomi and Shinako's relationship is progressing, I'm still rooting for Haru.

The new ED wasn't my favorite musically (though I wouldn't say I disliked it either,) but its visuals were top notch. Kudos the the anime art staff!
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Jun 6, 2020 3:05 PM

Mar 2019
It finally feels like the pace is picking up.
Rikuo is being assertive, Shinako is opening up, and Haru is, well... Haru.
I've never been a huge fan of Haru, and this episode doesn't help, she's again trying to force her way into Rikuo's life...
I don't hate her, she's cute and all, just not my type.
This is starting to get really good, those last few minutes had me on the edge of my seat, with goosebumps all over...
Phenomenal episode, a true 5/5.
Jun 6, 2020 3:08 PM

Apr 2012
SHINAKO REALLY DESERVES MUCH BETTER THAN RIKUO ! AAAAH !

This episode was pretty good and I really enjoyed it, contrary to the latest ones. Shinako really worked hard and carried the situation of the whole episode by herself while Rikuo continues being a spineless useless guy. Really I can't see what she finds in him, he's so plain *argh*. I hope she just uses him to move on, then dump him and go for some more interesting partner. Come on, who offers a second hand gift to his crush ?! Gosh I am so pissed off whenever I see this annoying character of Rikuo doing anything.

I will never complain of having some Haru screentime ! We did learn a bit more about her situation, but I'm still waiting for more. We definitely do not know her enough. And I can't understand why she keeps focusing on Rikuo, loves sure does turn you blind huh, tsss.

Anyway. The episode itself was (as usual) well driven and a pleasure to watch, moreover the story was not slacking and major milestones got set. Artistically speaking it proves every week to be one of the best in the latest seasons, or even years.

I'm really looking forward for the next episode, although we see the Haru comeback situation kilometers ahead (so Rikuo's gonna piss me off once more haha).

Csaba said:

Oh, so there's really a crew on the Rikuo X Chika ship! I thought it was a running joke haha

Marinate1016 said:
On the other hand, when he’s with Haru, it’s a much more organic, fun and lively situation. You shouldn’t have to plan your every action and reaction when hanging out with someone.

Yeah well he does not love her. He more or less says things like "Don't come near me" to Haru while not being able to keep a coffee cup in his hands in front of Shinako. If he was to be in love with Haru he would definitely act the same way he's currently acting with Shinako.

EDIT:
gaussian_ said:
I really like Uozomi as a character. He's honest, he respects other people's wishes, and he actually progresses. First, being honest about the origin of the present was absolutely the correct decision. Honesty is essential to building the trust necessary for a successful relationship, even if it seems a little harsh in the moment. Second, it is certainly true that the relationship between him and Shinako has been glacial in its progress, but I just can't agree with the opinion that as soon as a girl gives the slightest hint of wanting more of a relationship it immediately means time to have sex. He showed just enough assertiveness to make it clear that he still wants the relationship to progress, but respected Shinako's desire for that progress to be slow. That is the epitome of manliness.

Hmmm... the main problem with Rikuo is that he does nothing. He always does the last action which is the easiest ! He does not choose and buy a necklace, he just receives it and gives it. He's completely passive with Shinako and just tries to flee, and only when she does the job of jumping in the plate he takes her in his arms.
Sure he's kinda honest, and he's like... a coward ? As Shinako repeated it at least twice: move your as*. Being respectful to a girl does not mean being passive.
MylmyzanJun 6, 2020 3:24 PM
Jun 6, 2020 3:09 PM

Mar 2019
Fhos said:
Csaba said:

waiting for plot twist

(Haru fan~~)

I really want to see Chika again, loved that character.

Is Chika the blond girl that took care of Rikuo while he was sick?
If she is, I don't really see where she would fit in this, too many girls and not enough guys, someone's gotta end up solo...
Jun 6, 2020 3:11 PM

Jan 2018
Honestly, that ending tho..

Haru hears a racket and calls up Rikou..

Presumably, it's a home intruder..

Jun 6, 2020 3:16 PM

Apr 2020
Haru reminds me of my old self; self-sacrificing for love, when that's not fruitious, just self-sacrificing for attention will do. It's painful to watch and if my experience applies, Haru would always end up getting hurt. Though the blame should never be to Rikuo for not accepting her. He's just in love with somebody else. You can't really force people to like you back. She's better off allocating her love energy to something she's passionate about, unless a plot-twist can save her.

We're always spoiled about how a date would happen, especially when we watch a rom-com or a chick-flick, but this episode really knows how to portray an organic date. I like how awkward their first date is. From having second doubts, to being indecisive on the phone but once all of that is said and done, Shinako and Rikuo just click and become old college buddies again.

We finally stopped being blue-balled 10 episodes in and the results are outstanding. I couldn't contain myself shouting profanities as pieces finally move right where it needs to be. Another great episode, another long wait.

ToraiSJun 6, 2020 3:23 PM
Jun 6, 2020 3:23 PM

Mar 2019
Haru was just so cute here...she just does what she wants. I really like that way of acting.
Noone understands life I guess, it's a science for itself which cannot be solved... But taking step by step is a good choice of handling the things.

The new ending was interesting for sure but I liked the old one more....

And of course more mysterious phone calls
Jun 6, 2020 3:32 PM
Nov 2019
Wth just happened on episode 10?
I kinda have a bad feeling bout this.
*Fingers crossed*
Jun 6, 2020 3:36 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Rikou and Shinako seem to be making a little bit of progress together, but the awkward tension makes seeing the two of them together cringe worthy. Haru continues to wait at Rikou's place like a lost puppy. She has to realize that she can't do that anymore if Rikou and Shinako become an item. If Rikou wants to get more serious with Shinako, he's going to have to push Haru to the side.

I like the new ED.
Jun 6, 2020 3:42 PM
May 2020
ziovice said:
Honestly, that ending tho..

Haru hears a racket and calls up Rikou..

Presumably, it's a home intruder..

maybe... but i don't think so,
i think it is something with shinako
Jun 6, 2020 4:14 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
Mylmyzan said:
Hmmm... the main problem with Rikuo is that he does nothing. He always does the last action which is the easiest ! He does not choose and buy a necklace, he just receives it and gives it. He's completely passive with Shinako and just tries to flee, and only when she does the job of jumping in the plate he takes her in his arms.
Sure he's kinda honest, and he's like... a coward ? As Shinako repeated it at least twice: move your as*. Being respectful to a girl does not mean being passive.

It's always interesting how many ways the same set of events can be interpreted by different people. I do think that you have a point with Uozomi being passive, but I personally think that is something he is working to overcome. He's coming out of a period of depression, but he's slowly becoming more comfortable with himself and willing to act. With respect to his relationship with Shinako, I still stand by his actions being reasonable. Remember, she has explicitly rejected him, so just because she implies she might want more doesn't mean he should charge forward. Since she is sending mixed-messages, I think some caution is well advised. That doesn't mean that their aren't other valid ways of dealing with the situation, I just think his method isn't wrong and fits his character.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Jun 6, 2020 4:28 PM
Jun 2016
I've been in both Haru and Rikuo's shoes so I can't help but feel bad for both of them. Seems like things with Shinako is slowly progressing. Feel a bit worried about the call and Haru. The new ED is really good but the 1st one is superior.
Jun 6, 2020 4:51 PM

Mar 2013
Mixed feelins with this episode, but the only thing I really want is for that noise at the end to not be the poor crow being sick and falling from the varanda, since it shows a scene of him right before Haru heard the noise... Yeah, I'm concerned about that crow.
Jun 6, 2020 5:11 PM

Mar 2010
Wooohooo what a fucking roller coaster... Like ffs poor haru gives off way more effort even Shinako realizes she is a potential threat quote on quote. But yeah I feel like rikou is more honest with shinako than he is with haru.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 6, 2020 5:14 PM

Apr 2020
Mylmyzan said:

Rikuo is somewhat sedentary, sure, but you discredit some of Rikuo's actions that made the dominos fall in the first place.

Sure, life gives us lemons, but we, as people, got to turn that into lemonade. Opportunities are only opportunities if we don't act on them. In this case, Rikuo got dealt a good hand.

While story-wise, it seems cheap that he gets handed down a piece of jewelry from his coworker, but he can also equally refuse to buy it from him, especially given the context. He bought it in the end and decided to save it to give to Shinako in the party. She refused to go, so Rikuo just gave it to the wife instead. Shinako joined last minute, the wife gave the necklace back and Rikuo gave it to Shinako in the end.

He could have easily chickened out again and spent the new year's with his parents. But the point is that he did it and gave it to her while not lying about the necklace's origins.

While Shinako thinking that inviting him to her place is a reasonable play to advance their relationship, the steaminess of the hot coffee eventually became ice cold because of the lack of romantic experience in both parties. I don't blame them. Though it is important to point out that Rikuo seemed like he was going for a kiss, but Shinako's eyes narrowed and her lips trembled--more or less likely confirming to Rikuo that she was biting more than she could chew. Then, prompting the response, "You're taking it slow." (sounds more like "Take it easy." tbh)

Rikuo seems passive, sure. But he's more of a "look before you leap" kind of guy and he acts when it's appropriate.
Jun 6, 2020 5:28 PM
Oct 2018
At first I think that Rikuo is taking it too slow when he said that he will leave after Shinako taking the courage to invite him over but then it is explained later that it is right call after all. Atleast they got to hug it out. Two hugs in one episode that's nice. And welp that cliffhanger makes me wanna read the manga, from the previous sequence wherein some unwanted noise in Haru house and the shocked face of Rikuo says that something bad may happen. Oh and we got a new ed which is also so good specially the visuals showing the characters.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zyjJanApr - May 9, 2020

150 by SadMeat »»
Jan 29, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2020

443 by StandingSitting »»
Jan 11, 1:23 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

160 by Stargurll02 »»
Jan 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

123 by komikvalentine »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

204 by littlebiglyon »»
Nov 15, 2023 2:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.