Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 8, 2020 10:43 PM
May 2018
Ho shit, this episode felt so long, so tense, and so uncomfortable... I loved it...

The best so far? I guess so.
Jun 9, 2020 6:09 AM

Feb 2019
A lot of progress was made between Rikuo and Shinako this episode.
Rikuo not lying about the gift's origin was sweet cause it showed he cares about being truthful with Shinako. Them setting up for the date over the phone, the date itself, the tense atmosphere in Shinako's apartment, it all felt very organic and awkward. Which is what these situations usually are like.

Some people are hating on Rikuo for being passive which he kinda is but they fail to see how far he has come from the first time we are introduced to him due to the slow and minor changes he's gone through. When all added up it actually results in quite a big change to his character. As for him being passive with Shinako, he's just respecting her personal boundaries and given the fact he keeps getting mixed signals from her, he decides not to act on them for the most part, as he was outright rejected by her. He can't be certain if being assertive will get Shinako to like him or will it be labeled as harassment, because again no proper signs.

I still feel sad for Haru though, she tries so much even after being rejected. I have a feeling Rikuo and Haru will end up together in the end but honestly, I wish none of them end up together and just take this whole thing as a learning experience. Sounds boring I know... but that's how it works in reality for the most part.

Loved the visuals for the new ED. The colour palette was beautiful. The song was alright, still like the first one the most.
Jun 9, 2020 12:24 PM

Mar 2020
i'm tired of Haru's simp ass
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jun 9, 2020 12:43 PM

Aug 2018
leev said:
any episode without the brat is a good episode
The truth has been spoken.
_______I like rocks__
Jun 9, 2020 1:57 PM

Apr 2012
gaussian_ said:
He's coming out of a period of depression, but he's slowly becoming more comfortable with himself and willing to act. With respect to his relationship with Shinako, I still stand by his actions being reasonable. Remember, she has explicitly rejected him, so just because she implies she might want more doesn't mean he should charge forward. Since she is sending mixed-messages, I think some caution is well advised. That doesn't mean that their aren't other valid ways of dealing with the situation, I just think his method isn't wrong and fits his character.

Yeah, for sure part of our appreciation of the character comes from the behavior we expect from him... according to us !
You're right of reminding that he was dumped, indeed you can explain his behavior. But he was turned down by Shinako like what, a year ago ? And she definitely got warmer since that time.
But sure I agree this fits with the character we've been following for a few weeks now. I guess I just genuinely do not like him.

ToraiS said:
While story-wise, it seems cheap that he gets handed down a piece of jewelry from his coworker, but he can also equally refuse to buy it from him, especially given the context. He bought it in the end and decided to save it to give to Shinako in the party. She refused to go, so Rikuo just gave it to the wife instead. Shinako joined last minute, the wife gave the necklace back and Rikuo gave it to Shinako in the end.

He could have easily chickened out again and spent the new year's with his parents. But the point is that he did it and gave it to her while not lying about the necklace's origins.

Which shows how meaningless this gift is. He was not the one buying it and was able to offer it to a distant acquaintance which much thoughts. I really don't think Rikuo can proud of anything in this situation.

ToraiS said:
While Shinako thinking that inviting him to her place is a reasonable play to advance their relationship, the steaminess of the hot coffee eventually became ice cold because of the lack of romantic experience in both parties. I don't blame them. Though it is important to point out that Rikuo seemed like he was going for a kiss, but Shinako's eyes narrowed and her lips trembled--more or less likely confirming to Rikuo that she was biting more than she could chew. Then, prompting the response, "You're taking it slow." (sounds more like "Take it easy." tbh)

Rikuo seems passive, sure. But he's more of a "look before you leap" kind of guy and he acts when it's appropriate.

My comprehension is that Shinako confessed to Rikuo. And I would not interpret her lips trembling the same way : seconds ago she said "Be more assertive" to Rikuo, now he was being assertive and her reaction is just normal for someone who's about to get kissed for probably the first time in her life.
What troubles me is Rikuo not contradicting Shinako when she refers to Haru as the reason why he's not assertive.

ANYONE PLAYING WITH SHINAKO'S HEART WILL FACE MY DAMNATION ! Haha
Jun 9, 2020 5:28 PM

Apr 2020
Mylmyzan said:

Which shows how meaningless this gift is. He was not the one buying it and was able to offer it to a distant acquaintance which much thoughts. I really don't think Rikuo can proud of anything in this situation.

Again, opportunities are only opportunities if no one acts on it. While not spectacularly grandiose, having to rely on a series of fortunate events, it's always the thought that counts when it comes to these things. Rikuo could have easily refused to buy the necklace knowing the context, or never give it to Shinako in the end. He is given multiple opportunities, but at the same time, multiple opportunities to squander it. At the end, he did give it to her and that's all that matters, even if he did rely on help and chance. A gift is only meaningless if it's not given at all.

Mylmyzan said:
My comprehension is that Shinako confessed to Rikuo. And I would not interpret her lips trembling the same way : seconds ago she said "Be more assertive" to Rikuo, now he was being assertive and her reaction is just normal for someone who's about to get kissed for probably the first time in her life.
What troubles me is Rikuo not contradicting Shinako when she refers to Haru as the reason why he's not assertive.

Well, it's like their first proper date, and even then, Shinako talks about taking it slow. So, it's really improper to kiss Shinako at that point, but he does show intent. Rikuo's just sticking to his values, i.e waiting for Shinako to move on and I don't really think it's a flaw.

And yeah, it's kinda suspicious that he only acts when Shinako mentions Haru. But it would be more assholish for him to deny that Haru doesn't have any effect on him being assertive. It's pretty clear that Rikuo's a stand-up guy and seeing Haru waiting in the night and in the cold for him, and hurting her indirectly because he's spending more time with Shinako has a profound effect on his decision-making skills. But well, he did an all-in on Shinako so...
Jun 9, 2020 8:07 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
ToraiS said:
Mylmyzan said:

Again, opportunities are only opportunities if no one acts on it. While not spectacularly grandiose, having to rely on a series of fortunate events, it's always the thought that counts when it comes to these things. Rikuo could have easily refused to buy the necklace knowing the context, or never give it to Shinako in the end. He is given multiple opportunities, but at the same time, multiple opportunities to squander it. At the end, he did give it to her and that's all that matters, even if he did rely on help and chance. A gift is only meaningless if it's not given at all.

My opinion of the gift is that it isn't meaningless, but it doesn't qualify as a good romantic gift. If it were a good romantic gift then he wouldn't be willing to give it away to an acquaintance, especially at the first setback. I think the gift is more charitably viewed as a friendly gift, the sort of thing you pick up on a whim when you see a good deal on it because you know someone who would like it. If you don't end up remembering to give it to them, no problem, just pass it on to someone else.

Having said that, the real question is how Rikuo and Shinako view the gift. If Rikuo was aiming for a romantic gift, he failed, although it probably isn't a complete disaster. I'm guessing Shinako views it as an awkward romantic gift, but she might have taken it as just a friendly gift after Rikuo's admission of its origins. The last thing that might confound our analysis is the fact that gift giving can be more codified in Japanese society, and I'm definitely not familiar enough with those intricacies to determine how they would affect the analysis of the purchase, giving, and reception.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Jun 9, 2020 11:51 PM
Apr 2020
The ending theme in this ep is annoying and catchy. It shouldn't have changed, it would better if they played ed 2 but in a different visual, and put ed 3 at ep 14 or smth just like the first op.
Jun 10, 2020 12:53 AM

Jul 2016
Don't know what Rikuo was thinking at following the advice of his friend's wife about giving such shallow present to the woman he's in love with since college but hey! at least he was sincere when Shinako questioned him about it. No need to screw things even more in situations like this.

Interesting episode overall. Thankfully, more eventful than the previous one. Rikuo is becoming a bit more assertive with his feelings, Shinako seems willing enough to finally start moving on and Haru, bless her soul, still acts as if she hasn't been rejected already. Seriously, her character is nearly reaching quite pitiful levels at this point and considering Rikuo is almost 100% on the Shinako route, I don't really know what else she can do to make the guy look her way. Honestly, some part of me smells an "Ichigo 2.0" (Darling in the Franxx, anyone?) in the distance and please, I hope this random thought remains at what it is: just a wild thought.

Episode also concluded in some sort of awkward cliffhanger for no apparent reason but you gotta keep the audience invested, I guess. This said, I doubt Haru hearing a thud and Rikuo receiving that phone call are connected but we'll see.

And by the way, we also got another ED but if I'm honest, I didn't pay much attention to the song. I was too busy seeing just how beautiful Haru looks in Kuvshinov-Ilya's style.
Jun 10, 2020 6:34 AM

Jun 2013
A few years ago, Rikuo-type characters were popular in anime. I hate this kind. And I don't like how adult characters neglect teenagers' feelings. They do not accept and do not repel them too.
Jun 10, 2020 9:47 AM

Mar 2019
Haru gang we can cry now <3
Jun 10, 2020 8:36 PM

Jan 2018
I really like this new ED.
Jun 11, 2020 4:07 AM
May 2016
jomothegrey said:

not really, we are endgame. )

ninka22Jun 11, 2020 4:16 AM
Jun 11, 2020 12:00 PM

Apr 2012
New ED was pretty based.

Wonder what happened to Haru (like she's supposed to live alone). By drama logic she should be getting an advantage next.
Jun 12, 2020 2:47 AM

Jul 2009
Shinako is also doing some moves, she is changing...I hope she can be happy. Rikuo is also trying his best and for me it's clear that he really likes Shinako, he cares about Haru like a big brother.

I wonder if something happened to Haru...seems like a robber.

ninka22 said:
jomothegrey said:

not really, we are endgame. )

Well, I at least hope she gets some development...coz for me she is pretty much the same, I like her, but I don't see her changing much, she fell in love at 1st sight, did all she could to get close to him, for me she is not different from the "childhood" friend thing.
bittersweetloveJun 12, 2020 2:56 AM
Jun 12, 2020 6:36 AM

Feb 2016
I'm chipping riku and chinako more than haru tbh but i have no problem with her at all
Jun 13, 2020 1:55 AM

May 2016
I'm sure the art in the credits was by Kuvshinov Illya his magic tough never fails.

Shinako finally sending out the signals for Uozumi to attack xD

I feel so bad for Haru at this point, and now I was a bit unsure how this plot
will end up and I think some sort of accident happened and gonna change everything
I hope I'm wrong cause that would be the same as other anime and a bit mediocre.
Jun 14, 2020 4:44 PM

Oct 2011
I'm glad Rikuo went for the hug. IMO it seemed to be the right thing to do while still respecting Shinako's personal boundaries and understanding that she's slowly moving on. Touching her face almost seemed like he was going for the kiss, but I'm glad he left it at that. I feel that a kiss would be kinda rushing it.

I don't see a huge problem with their relationship; the awkwardness given the lingering history they have is understandable, and I like how Shinako acknowledges that there's more than one way to love.

The way he handled Haru seemed fine. It wouldn't be right to send her home after being in the cold that long, and he is at least subtly hinting at her to stop pursuing him so much. Though with the amount of episodes left in the anime, I'm sure there will be some development that occurs with her, especially since Rikuo is still being passive. Haru's aggressiveness alone could lead to something Rikuo wouldn't usually want to happen.
Jun 17, 2020 6:12 AM

Oct 2013
I'm still on board for Rikuo x Shinako, but honestly, the whole cast is a delight. Everyone acts with decorum, and, I don't think "maturity" is the right word here, but they act like actual fuckin' adults. I mean, they are, but it makes Rou, our youngest character, stand out because he's a traditionally angsty, melodramatic anime character in a series where everyone is a little jaded by age. At the same time, there's astute attention to detail; characters don't whine in monologue, but they react. I love a good exposition, but there's a lot of "show, don't tell" here and I love it.

Maybe it's a symptom of my age, too, but it's hard for me to dislike any character here, even Paperclip-kun, because every character makes sense in the context of the series.

Shinako is still the most precious though ;-;

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jun 17, 2020 7:24 AM

Aug 2017
After this episode, im pretty sure that Shinako is going to end with Rikuo unless they put an asspull in the last episode. Awkward date lmao.

This show really likes to abuse cliffhangers -.-
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 20, 2020 4:22 AM

Mar 2009
Such an incredibly frustrating show. Shinako keeps telling Rikuo to be more assertive, yet she's the one who turned him down, on top of all the mixed signals. Rikuo has no idea what to do because Shinako has no idea what she wants. At worse, she comes off as manipulative. Awful character.
Jun 25, 2020 7:23 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Nice. They gave a balance amount to both of them to show their affection toward Rikuo. Both of them finally grew some great development, same thing to Rikuo, ofc. Finally he had a balls to gift Shinako some present. The first time? Shit, man that was a real development!

The way they finally changed up, even if it just a little bit, thats great! But, still, its still unfair to Haru with that situations. Fortunately, the time has come to justified the relationship to go even further. That cliffhanger in the end!

Yeah, two hugged in same episode. Great moment they had with the same guy (different situations). And also that uncertain feeling they had (finally some grow up). Shit in the end ! Damn. Let just skip another blabing and move on to another scene.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 15, 2020 4:05 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh no, Rikuo x Shinako is happening, I don't want this at all, I want justice for Haru.
Aug 5, 2020 6:52 PM
Jul 2013
Seems like Rikuo needs to get together with Shinako to understand they shouldn't be together. This whole relationship is awkward cause they're both afraid to make a move.
I think it's good there's tension between them. Rikuo needs a hot coffee mod, but Shinako needs therapy.
That new ED did not fit and I don't like it one bit.
Aug 21, 2020 2:58 AM

Jul 2015
Shinako and Rikuo are slowly making a move (about time), but things still seem awkward.
I wonder what the cliffhanger with Haru is about, bad stuff better not happen to best crow Kansuke

Oct 16, 2020 4:24 AM

Dec 2016
quite disappointed. i thought i was going to see some character development in this last 3/4 episodes but i was wrong. i can see that this adaptation was rushed

i don't even care about the story is going to end, i just want to see haru happy. hope this last 2 episodes can be useful somehow for them
kewenjiOct 16, 2020 4:28 AM
Nov 7, 2020 9:39 PM
Feb 2019
OMG... Rikuo... atleast give her a fucking kiss. Thats technically "slow", its new years eve, you guys have known each other for years. Holy fuck
Dec 17, 2020 2:05 PM

Aug 2018
Yeah, like.. Can't Haru and Rikuo just exchange phone numbers or something?.. It's not the best idea to wait outside a lot of time, now time going towards winter.. Though, would it too much of a bother for Rikuo or something?..
lol.. Well.. I mean, Shinako wants for Rikuo to take initiative.. Kinda understand.. But kinda also, if he truly matters to you - can't you do that yourself as well?.. Well, either way.. I don't like too much either Rikuo or Shinako, to be honest.. And I don't really have reasons for that as well.. It's both understandable, what they both do.. I just don't like them, and that's all..
May 24, 2023 1:44 AM

Dec 2022
Bro I thought they would at least add the chemistry between Haru and Rou. Gotta feel bad for Haru tho, she's starting to feel like a side character.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zyjJanApr - May 9, 2020

150 by SadMeat »»
Jan 29, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2020

443 by StandingSitting »»
Jan 11, 1:23 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

160 by Stargurll02 »»
Jan 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

123 by komikvalentine »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

204 by littlebiglyon »»
Nov 15, 2023 2:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.