Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Great Pretender Episode 4 Discussion

Jun 1, 2020 11:19 AM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Starting to notice how this series wants to pace itself. Going back and forth with the characters motives and reasons for joining and seeing how he functions in society.

Jun 8, 2020 3:48 AM

With the escape successful last episode, Laurent/Eddie's gang begin hospitalities with Edamura creating his "Sakura Magic" drug whilst the FBI Special Forces tracking their every move.

Interesting to find about about Salazar's situation though...a deceased wife, leaving their only child. Of course, you wouldn't want your own children to find out you're doing dirty work. Furthermore, for a person who's ridiculed as the reject of society, the last thing to do is to get loved ones involved in the mess. Really feel pity for this bodyguard of a gangster.

And to think that Paula Dickens has caught onto Edamura that soon, that was insanely quick. A compromise or a collaboration? It's up to the Japanese conman to decide whether he'll track or to be tracked.

In the pretense of it all, Edamura, gave into the good side, but also, promising to "spare the rod" for the innocent.

Still a long way to go, but pretty excited for the things to come.

Jun 8, 2020 4:16 AM

This was a lot more better for me than the previous three. The jazz was still a little overbearing with composition but it mixed it up a bit with a hip hop song at one point (don't even like much hiphop but Outkast, Kendrick, Nas and a few others) so it felt a bit refreshing.

Also this episode had me slightly like some of the characters more, I do have my eye on Paula Dickins more than the rest for some reason and I don't mind. The case itself still isn't what I'd consider a good one, and the quality of show is far below likes of Lupin, Durarara, Baccano, Black Lagoon, etc for me, but it did improve a bit with episode from the character and case front slightly.

More than all of that, tons of references were in this episode so I do like how they try to compliment the cheesiness of the story with using some movie references whether for the action scenes, or even for subtle frames as a part of the setting with the Harry Potter and weird copyright-avoiding signatures of actors/actresses (it is Los Angeles so stuff like that should be EVERYWHERE there so nice touch).

Jun 8, 2020 3:22 PM
lol the plot thickens now Edamura is working as a spy for the FBI to jail Laurent and Cassano

good on Edamura saving Salazar as the condition for the FBI

Jun 9, 2020 4:52 AM

Damn, so Edamura's father was a criminal. Huge shock for him and especially his mother who seems to have gotten ill because of it.
Wonder how Laurent will get out of this situation. He mentions he has connection within the FBI. Casano will be arrested, and I really hope FBI agrees and honors Edamura's condition.

Jun 9, 2020 11:21 AM
I get half-right about Salazar, he knows Edamura is fraud but he's not for revenge for his old gang (like I predicted), he just do his job so he can get money for his son.

Jun 9, 2020 2:14 PM
Trickster

Edamura is the thief with the heart of gold archetype, same as Laurent. But now we know why his father was so looked down upon. A lawyer who by day acts with a "moral code" and by night he traffics children. It's no wonder his mother's health deteriorated.

Looks like Salazar isn't much of a bad guy after all. It looks like he has no real allegiance to the old guy, he just needs the money. It was really nice of Edamura to help him out and see his son.

That FBI Agent Dickens is incredibly sharp and got the drop on Japan's greatest conman. I have to wonder how much Laurent knows about their operation? Does he know that Edamura has the glasses? Or could that be another part of his plan? you never know what he's thinking.

The next episode appears to be the last of this arc. I'm really curious on how they're going to get out of this with the FBI knowing exactly what's going on.

Jun 9, 2020 11:05 PM

each episode keeps getting better than the last. keep this up for 23 eps and we got a masterpiece on its way

Jun 10, 2020 6:46 AM

This show is great. It keeps getting better and better with every single episode. I'm really enjoying it. Also I love both the girls introduced so far. The MC is as always a nice guy. But really gets himself into troublesome situations.

Jun 10, 2020 10:57 PM

A nice build up episode, the short flashbacks were good too. I wonder if Edamura's dad really was a bad guy or he was framed.

Jun 15, 2020 11:21 AM
i lowkey hate the rap music in this anime its so fuckin corny, good episode tho
I be boolin off da fridge

Jun 28, 2020 4:59 AM

I wasn't expecting to like Salazar that much. He's probably my favorite character now. Despite being a former gang boss and Cassano taking over his territory, etc. He didn't snitch.

Also, I was expecting Edamame's dad to be in some sort of money laundering scheme, not human trafficking, especially child trafficking. Jesus.
There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards.

Jul 12, 2020 9:58 PM
pretty brutal how edamame's dad was involved in child trafficking, that sucks. wonder what big brain plays are gonna happen next episode.

Aug 22, 2020 3:40 AM

And the plot thickens even more. I wouldn't be surprised if allegiances will switch a couple more times during the show and if we are really lucky we will get a huge payoff a la "The Sting". Something we didn't see coming.

Aug 26, 2020 6:45 AM

Great episode, Salazar is definitely a great character and he deserves to be let go. Their frauds but, their frauds with honor? I guess? Well probably not since Edamura is part of the sting or you know he's bamboozling them too.

Aug 31, 2020 1:21 AM
Soybean's dad was a human trafficker? Good lord.

Sep 3, 2020 6:25 PM
they had us in the first half not gonna lie

seriously that was mind blown!!! WOW

Sep 6, 2020 1:31 PM

Shit feels like its gonna escalate quick. No way out but to betray

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.

Sep 17, 2020 7:29 PM

I LOVE IT im tense watching the whole episode fearing edamura will get caught any time ksjdhfsdf good guy salazar!

Sep 18, 2020 12:30 PM
Bibimbapski said:
I wasn't expecting to like Salazar that much. He's probably my favorite character now. Despite being a former gang boss and Cassano taking over his territory, etc. He didn't snitch.

Also, I was expecting Edamame's dad to be in some sort of money laundering scheme, not human trafficking, especially child trafficking. Jesus.

yeah the mc really have a dark past.

Sep 18, 2020 5:15 PM

Fucking child trafficking! HOLY. SHIT.
Never expected his father to be involved in such terrible crime, my god! What a piece of shit!

I'm rooting for Salazar, he's a nice dude.

Dec 5, 2020 7:09 AM

This rewatch continues to get me more and more. I really liked this episode as a whole, especially for learning more about Makoto's childhood and what he went through (especially with his father being a lawyer who was a hero to him when he was young but a few years later, was arrested due to suspicion of aiding a human trafficking ring, which quickly affected Makoto's mother's health drastically), as well as getting to see Salazar, Cassano's bodyguard and learning about his life and how he was willing to help Makoto out and not rat him out despite knowing Makoto's truth due to the hidden camera in the teddy bear.

Paula Dickins continues to give me subtle badass vibes as the cool FBI agent as she tries to coerce Makoto into helping the FBI out with a sting operation to screw over the Cassano family and Laurent to clear Makoto from any wrongdoing and send him back safely to Japan. Pretty exciting stuff after not experiencing many shows/movies like these in months, as well as me looking at this as its own show rather than a basic copy of a Lupin III show.

Like I mentioned in the forum when I first saw the episode, absolutely loved the amount of references featured, from the Hollywood references like the Harry Potter one with the signatures of the actors/actresses like Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson, to even showing Makoto and Salazar watching a baseball game at the Dodger Stadium with someone in the crowd mentioning Seager by name (Cory Seager is a baseball player for the Dodgers with his role being shortstop). Kind of cool hearing Seager now since he is the World Series MVP and the Dodgers are the reigning MLB Champions after their World Series victory over the Tampa Bay Rays.

Dec 10, 2020 5:28 AM

So Edamura's dad is a lawyer, and so far the anime is interesting

Dec 30, 2020 7:25 AM

Bunch of sentimental stuff here and there.

I love that Laurent wants Makoto to cook for him. Maybe Makoto will make miso soup every day for Laurent in the future.

And this is Makoto's mess of all things. He needs to find a way to solve all of this.

Salazar appears to be working for the FBI I guess. Let's see where this ends.
I know for sure he aint' put the teddy bear cam for Laurent.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Jan 1, 3:16 PM

A lawyer who works following a moral code but traffics children at the same time? I don't know, man. Pretty sure there's more story behind just that. Makoto's father was probably being framed or threatened.

Overall, another entertaining episode but both Laurent and Abby will need some proper characterization in the following arc or so.

Jan 13, 4:22 AM

Hmmm Salazar isn't all bad, it would seem.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.

Jan 31, 1:46 PM
Isn't the "Antagonist seems to be on the verge of telling the main charcter he knows he's the spy, and then at the last second reveals he doesn't actually know" angle being re-used a bit too much?

Great episode though, I hope they do let Salazar go.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls

Mar 11, 12:57 PM

Still slow and next past-story will be about Abby (Revy from Black Lagoon on minimal), I hope she won't be one of victims of MC's father traffic because it will be ridiculous and far-fetched (a revenge against MC that of course won't happen after she will know MC better - I have seen it hundred times). But on other hand since this anime is generic I bet she is simply one of drug victims or a relative/friend of some already dead drug victim (so original).

Mar 18, 11:02 AM

Interesting parallels between the story of Edamura and that of Salazar's son.

Apr 20, 4:41 PM

Good to know some back stories owo

Jul 6, 2:32 PM

Well he's kinda fucked but the FBI is backing him up now..

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'

Jul 6, 2:42 PM

Human trafficking is quite the criminal activity I didn't expect Edamame's dad to have done. Salazar is not that bad of a guy after all, I really hope after this ordeal he'll be able to live a normal life with his son.
Konnichiwa fellow weebs
Noot Noot, mah brothas
R̶̰̃e̸̢͋ḷ̵̂ë̸̲́a̷̖͗s̶̙̀e̵̹̋ ̴̠̒m̷̨͘e̴͓͠ ̸̠̅f̶̢̾r̶̠͊o̴͔͑ṃ̷͝ ̸̖̆ṁ̶ͅẙ̸̯ ̷̭̇m̸̛̝ȍ̸͔r̵̖̎t̵͈̄a̶̛͎l̸͖͠ ̴͔̿p̸̨̈́a̸̖͊ì̴͈n̴̡̑