Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2020 9:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A man can really do so much with their talent...

Pretty tense episode for a character doing what he can to get his family back. It also goes to show this series' art can make an impact.
May 29, 2020 9:58 AM

Mar 2010
They mellowed down Yoshihide's character a lot (and the story in general). I guess they couldn't have the protagonist seem so depraved.
I didn't expect Shiga to sacrifice himself like that. And right when I thought Akutagawa's reaction after returning was too weak, apparently he's still tainted so at least it makes more sense.

And now we have to wait for a month...
May 29, 2020 11:18 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
All the story around the portrait of hell was interesting, it's kinda shocking when I think of it xD
May 29, 2020 12:49 PM

Mar 2017
What?! No! Shiga, why?! I mean, I guess I get that he had to sacrifice himself to save the book but that was so unexpected and sudden that it hit hard... and when Saneatsu broke down when they came back 😭

It looks like there's still something dark lurking inside Akutagawa... I guess he's still got a lot of regret about his writings.

I can't believe this is going to be delayed again.. it ruins the flow and makes the experience less enjoyable. I know there's nothing that can be done about delays but the studio should just delay longer and release, rather than having it air in small chunks.
May 29, 2020 8:37 PM

Jul 2017
Akutagawa's Portrait of Hell...a very graphical novel, but at the chagrin of everyone, trying to delve into this book is in many ways, a glass-displaying sacrifice of skill and talent.

Needless to say the Taints' stronghold of Ryuunosuke's book doesn't really need any explanation, but not for lack of trying, Dazai and Shiga managed to do so to figure out his true ambition (and not for going with the flow).

Well, look what turned out, Dazai was just typical of his behaviour, but Shiga's sacrifice was the ones that really turned the tables to bring him back to where he was. But deep within, an unshakable feeling though of the Taints still flowing within himself...

A very enjoyable episode, never thought I'd say this but yeah, this episode impressed me. The wait to the next episode is a month's wait.
May 30, 2020 10:36 AM

Apr 2010
Poor Shiga... I mean, he could be really annoying, but still... And it didn't even help in the end :(

Jun 1, 2020 4:43 AM

Nov 2015
Oh I didn’t expect shiga sacrificing himself to save the book!

Jun 1, 2020 4:16 PM

Dec 2015
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that shiga really is gone... Can he come back through another one of his books? What an episode!
Jun 3, 2020 1:10 PM

Jan 2019
I was expecting Dazai to scream No and try to intervene but I guess that's fate for Shiga
[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] aa[/font]

Jun 9, 2020 5:19 PM

Feb 2014
kuroyami-kun said:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that shiga really is gone...

Same here... and then Akutagawa at the end... o_o
Jun 15, 2020 12:59 AM
Nov 2016
Oml I cannot handle the fact that Shiga is actually gone! Please come back I can't I thought that there wouldn't be something like this in this anime especially since it's based on a game... T_T I'm still crying
Jul 10, 2020 10:48 PM

Oct 2017
RIP Shiga, damn that was shocking.
Aug 15, 2020 6:56 AM
Feb 2014
I hated....absolutely HATED this episode!!!!!!! This was supposed to be my most anticipated anime of all time, yet it let me down again and again!!!

Even from the very first episode i quickly noticed that they took liberties with this adaptation by making it different from how it was like in the game, starting with the most bullshit, load of crap ever by making them be "astral spirits" instead of the reincarnation of the dead writers souls into new bodies, like it was supposed to be!!!

I later calmed down and chalked it up to just being bad translations by Funimation, cause that was the most logical explanation to me at the time.

But did it end there? No!!! They made it so that all of the writers hate being at the library and try to constantly escape from there(but of course to no avail) Which honestly hurt me, you know?

This is like the opposite of Touken Ranbu Hanamaru, where all the swords love the saniwa(me/you/the player character in the game) and would never try to escape from the citadel, the saniwa too seems to be kind and generous in the anime.

But here? In the anime adaptation of Bungou to Alchemist?

The alchemist(me/you/the player character in the game) is made out to be some cold and distant master who couldn't give a shit about any of the writers and wouldn't even provide them with human needs such as proper food for God's sake!!!!!

That's not the case at all in the game!!!! From the main story and side stories in the game that i have read, the writers do NOT want to escape from there and do NOT think poorly of the Alchemist librarian!!!!

You can even give them gifts and raise their relationship with you, not to mention that they get a different kind of meal each day(and it changes further in the summer and winter months) and aren't restricted to eating the same thing over and over again like the anime showed!!!!!!!!!

BUT!!!! I was like, ok, ok, let's keep pushing forward and try not to mind this.....

Then, this episode was finally the last drop that broke the camel's back, so to say.
I already noticed previously that unlike in the game where, when the writers get hurt, they only have their clothes barely ripped and maybe some dirt here and there on some, but here, they could actually get hurt and bleed, still, i never imagined they would actually do this thing.......

I blame all the people who complained that Katsugeki Touken Ranbu wasn't "dark" enough and actually,

So, guess what?!! DMM games heard you and learned from their "mistake" and thought it was such a "good" idea to instead apply it to a completely different anime adaptation(that nobody asked about btw). So what do we have now?

Oh, that's right, our first
I was completely in disbelief over it and didn't think
untill the very end of the episode when i saw

I raged soooooo badly for two hours over this!!!!!!!!!!!!! And

The only thing this episode did do, is it made me respect him more

I completely hate the direction this anime is going in, i definitely do NOT want to see more
And now i'm actually fucking glad that my most favorite character didn't even make it in this anime adaptation!!!!!!!!! THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I now think this rating is actually justified and that's coming from a huge fan of the game!!!!!!!! I wouldn't have said this had it not just pissed over everything in the original game, so thank you very much to all the people and DMM games who ruined the games reputation with this adaptation, thank you..........NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

I will not continue to watch this or future sequels of it unless they completely change staff, studio and make it more like Touken Ranbu Hanamaru or Namu Amida Butsu!!!!!!!!!! >_<

I'm out!!!!
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Aug 20, 2020 4:20 AM

Jul 2015
Shiga could have just told Dazai tha he was attacking the Taint and not Akutagawa, still noble sacrifice despite him being a bit annoying.

Dec 15, 2020 10:24 AM

Jun 2015
did Shiga really burn to death? Are you kidding me?
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 13 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 7, 2020

17 by BrokenCord83 »»
Jul 9, 2021 2:10 AM

» Real BungoSD or something else?

MOna-Dazai - Jan 29, 2020

7 by bakarikuzu »»
Jun 26, 2021 2:50 PM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2020

70 by HagePotPotato »»
May 31, 2021 9:18 PM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 12 Discussion

Discordia - Jul 31, 2020

5 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 20, 2020 6:27 AM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 11 Discussion

Ashhk - Jul 24, 2020

3 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 20, 2020 6:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.