Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Yearly Manga and Light Novel Rankings for 2020 (First Half)

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 28, 2020 3:00 AM
#1
News Team
(ノ≧∀≦)ノ ☕

Offline
Apr 2010
3204
Here are the manga and light novel sales rankings for the first half of the fiscal year of 2020 (November 18, 2019 to May 17, 2020).

Manga Sales by Series
*1. 45,297,633 Kimetsu no Yaiba
*2. *4,885,538 One Piece
*3. *4,240,192 5-toubun no Hanayome
*4. *3,512,571 Kingdom
*5. *3,339,656 Boku no Hero Academia

Manga Sales by Volume
*1. 3,035,555 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.18
*2. 2,829,174 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.19
*3. 2,267,744 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.1
*4. 2,237,092 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.12
*5. 2,234,515 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.11
*6. 2,233,412 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.14
*7. 2,223,961 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.13
*8. 2,223,867 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.7
*9. 2,218,826 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.8
10. 2,216,999 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.9

11. 2,211,701 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.2
12. 2,209,598 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.10
13. 2,194,060 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.15
14. 2,192,013 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.3
15. 2,175,936 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.4
16. 2,167,490 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.5
17. 2,166,372 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.6
18. 2,155,356 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.16
19. 2,113,520 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.17
20. 1,955,897 One Piece Vol.95

21. 1,688,363 One Piece Vol.96
22. 1,086,350 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.20
23. *,911,246 Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.30
24. *,904,092 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.20 Special Edition
25. *,811,819 Kingdom Vol.56


Light Novel Sales by Series
*1. 1,199,863 Kimetsu no Yaiba Novels
*2. *,377,493 Sword Art Online
*3. *,327,191 Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
*4. *,317,749 Kusuriya no Hitorigoto
*5. *,264,875 Overlord
*6. *,264,458 Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
*7. *,256,704 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
*8. *,223,657 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
*9. *,173,391 Seishun Buta Yarou Series
10. *,150,689 Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e

Light Novel Sales by Volumes
*1. 601,101 Kimetsu no Yaiba: Kataha no Chou
*2. 598,762 Kimetsu no Yaiba: Shiawase no Hana
*3. 207,298 Overlord Vol.14
*4. 172,604 Sword Art Online Vol.23
*5. 170,974 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Vol.14
*6. 121,268 Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken Vol.16
*7. 108,521 Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e Vol.12
*8. *86,959 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.31
*9. *81,994 Sword Art Online Vol.24
10. *79,137 Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Vol.17 

Light Novels Separated by Specific Ranking


Source: Oricon

← Previous year
SnowMay 28, 2020 11:25 PM
May 28, 2020 4:01 AM
#2

Offline
May 2018
3114
Manga Sales by Series only got 5? Holy shit! Difference between 1st and 2nd place is so big. Kimetsu no Yaiba really did so well.Even light novel dominated by Kimetsu no Yaiba. If the author didn't plan to end her manga so early,who knows how the sales will turn out in future.
Papa_ScorchMay 28, 2020 4:05 AM
May 28, 2020 4:09 AM
#4

Offline
Jul 2016
1686
Good to see SAO going strong this year. And Kimetsu sales is huge by a large margin. With movie underway, its gonna break 60m by the end of the year.


May 28, 2020 4:13 AM
#5

Offline
Jun 2016
10664
Jesus that thing's definitely popular
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 28, 2020 4:18 AM
#6

Offline
Jan 2015
14875
Lmaoooo OPbros where you at
May 28, 2020 4:27 AM
#7

Offline
Dec 2016
322
Kimetsu no Yaiba bringing in insane numbers for manga and light novel industry!
May 28, 2020 5:05 AM
#8
Offline
Apr 2016
721
and somehow I am also curious about the sale of Boruto manga. the story is very interesting to follow compared to other manga.
May 28, 2020 5:17 AM
#9

Offline
Jan 2020
144
Those sales figures for KnY are insane, and OreGairu is up there in LN list, I believe in God now
May 28, 2020 5:17 AM
Offline
Jan 2018
4297
And people said the hype would die down in a few months after the anime finished considering as the sales increased over the duration of it airing Especially in the manga community .

Now that the manga has finshed the sales might decrease or it will increase more
Mattinator95May 28, 2020 5:25 AM
May 28, 2020 5:26 AM
Offline
Aug 2016
1034
Didn't KnY already surpassed 60M? or was it 50M? Idk I think I saw it on twitter but I'm not sure.
May 28, 2020 5:45 AM

Offline
Aug 2008
4302
I didn't expect that so many people got trolled by Gotoubun. Props to author for pulling out a move like that and manga still selling. Even more surprised by SxF. Maybe people are in denial they got baited by early chapters.
Ii tenki desu ne...
May 28, 2020 5:55 AM
Offline
Apr 2016
4788
45 million of generic paper this is insane... the world is still full to be brim with simple, most simple people... Terrible, men, terrible.
Re:formed
May 28, 2020 5:57 AM
Offline
Sep 2018
65
Happy for kny!!

I don't know how the author had the courage to end this with such insane numbers.
May 28, 2020 6:06 AM
Offline
May 2015
2216
Holy shit, Kimetsu dominated!!!! Season 2 is DEFINITELY going to happen. I'm not 99% sure about it, I'm 100% confident that it's going to happen bois xD!!
jc9622May 28, 2020 6:09 AM

May 28, 2020 6:08 AM

Offline
Aug 2015
2468
Holy hell thats some domination man
May 28, 2020 6:20 AM

Offline
Apr 2013
7590
omg.
FOURTY FIVE millions? Isn't the previous best score over a FULL year held by One Piece with something like 36 millions and way more volumes at that time?
If KnY vol 20 didn't have a special edition, the top 20 manga sales per volume would have been the 20 volumes of the series.
May 28, 2020 7:04 AM
One Word - Anime

Offline
Jun 2017
7036
Twas' domination at its finest!

The "Kimetsu no Yaiba fever" ain't gone and ain't going to for a while, that's for sure.

With the Movie coming out later this year and possibly a Season 2 to follow and more, I'm almost certain this'll reach over a 100 million sales and join an elite few to reach that level before.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni


May 28, 2020 7:28 AM
Offline
Jan 2009
82736
take a bow Demon Slayer well deserved

Attack on Titan though how the mighty have fallen and fans even call the final arc the best one too
May 28, 2020 7:51 AM
Ero Ojisan

Offline
Jun 2019
4022
Demon Slayer is on pace to be one of the best selling mangas of all time. It's crazy Demon Slayer still has momentum even though the series has ended.
May 28, 2020 7:54 AM

Offline
Nov 2011
3925
Why have you stopped doing this weekly? Crazy numbers for KnY

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
May 28, 2020 8:45 AM
Offline
Apr 2016
4788
Zefyris said:
omg.
FOURTY FIVE millions? Isn't the previous best score over a FULL year held by One Piece with something like 36 millions and way more volumes at that time?
If KnY vol 20 didn't have a special edition, the top 20 manga sales per volume would have been the 20 volumes of the series.

It would be interesting to know just what % of those sales belong to the foreigners. I really want someone to blame here.
Re:formed
May 28, 2020 8:46 AM

Offline
Jul 2016
190


There's only one series here that doesn't have an anime.... I wonder who will nab Spy x Family?
May 28, 2020 8:46 AM

Offline
Jul 2016
190
Can we all agree that Kingdom is the best series on this list?
May 28, 2020 9:08 AM

Offline
Nov 2019
54
Hanako-kun is actually this popular in Japan? How cool! It doesn't seem well known in Europe so I'm pleasantly surprised.


                    I'm not lying.
                    I'd never lie.....
                    Perhaps
May 28, 2020 9:20 AM

Offline
May 2020
23
Daniel_Naumov said:

It would be interesting to know just what % of those sales belong to the foreigners. I really want someone to blame here.

Oricon only tracks japanese stores, so the % of those sales that belong to foreigners is 0.

Either way, aside from the obvious elephant in the room that is Kimetsu's gargantuan success, I'm stoked to see if Kingdom can overtake OP for the full year chart with the anime boost (I'm talking overall and not invidual volumes obviously), and also very curious to see just how big Spy x Family will be once it has more volumes under its belt and an anime running.
May 28, 2020 9:44 AM

Offline
Mar 2012
1666
Wow has any series ever managed to Dominate so much and has risen to that number in such a short ttime? This has got to be a new record. I really need check this series out one day.

I am actually more surprised the mangaka called it quits and did not prolong it as most writers would when they reach these numbers, good for them to sticking to there story.

Well Overlord, Re:Zero and Konosuba are still growing strong. Glad to see them pull trough.
-ShadowClaw-May 28, 2020 9:48 AM
May 28, 2020 9:45 AM

Offline
Mar 2012
1666
Hannatach said:


There's only one series here that doesn't have an anime.... I wonder who will nab Spy x Family?


The anime adaption of that series just got annouced a couple of days ago
May 28, 2020 9:55 AM

Offline
May 2020
23
-ShadowClaw- said:

The anime adaption of that series just got annouced a couple of days ago

No, it did not. There was no announcement. Younko just tweeted that an anime was being planned, which is about as obvious a "leak" as can be. I could've ""leaked"" that myself.
May 28, 2020 10:03 AM

Offline
Mar 2015
8097
Wow total domination by Demon Slayer, I really need to get around reading the manga.
May 28, 2020 10:05 AM

Offline
Apr 2013
7590
Daniel_Naumov said:
Zefyris said:
omg.
FOURTY FIVE millions? Isn't the previous best score over a FULL year held by One Piece with something like 36 millions and way more volumes at that time?
If KnY vol 20 didn't have a special edition, the top 20 manga sales per volume would have been the 20 volumes of the series.

It would be interesting to know just what % of those sales belong to the foreigners. I really want someone to blame here.

None. AFAIK Oricon chart does not count foreign sales at all (not even foreigner buying on Japanese websites with a foreign address)
May 28, 2020 10:24 AM
Offline
May 2016
1849
Soooooo..... Kimetsu no Yaiba. That's I'm reading on this list. #1 kimetsu no yaiba #2 kimetsu no yaiba,.....#10 kimetsu no yaiba! Good for them, but feels like overkill
May 28, 2020 10:26 AM
Offline
May 2016
1849
Hannatach said:
Can we all agree that Kingdom is the best series on this list?


I would, but it's not available in my country
May 28, 2020 10:37 AM

Offline
Jun 2014
5924
Holy shit Demon Slayer fucking killed it. I thought there may have been a typo with how huge the difference is between its sales and OP's. Congrats to the mangaka, and I can't wait to see more Demon Slayer anime content in the future.
No one hates anime more than anime fans.




May 28, 2020 10:38 AM
Offline
Apr 2016
4788
Zefyris said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

It would be interesting to know just what % of those sales belong to the foreigners. I really want someone to blame here.

None. AFAIK Oricon chart does not count foreign sales at all (not even foreigner buying on Japanese websites with a foreign address)

Oh how disappointed I am in the most esteemed Japanese race... Thank you for this information.
Re:formed
May 28, 2020 10:45 AM

Offline
Oct 2018
1693
Absolute domination by KnY. It's already holding the title of the "Most sales in a single year" just after 6 months.

It will definitely reach a number which can't ever be beaten. I wonder if it will reach 100 million?
May 28, 2020 11:00 AM

Offline
Aug 2016
125
Kimetsu no Yaiba sold almost 10x as much as second place OP. Demon Slayer slayed expectations ↶(`∇´)
May 28, 2020 12:09 PM
Offline
Jul 2018
570560
Everything in the manga rankings are battle shounen (or battle seinen in the case of Kingdom) except for 5-toubou no Hanayome, lol.

Light novel ranking is much better (except for those Kimetsu no Yaiba novels)
May 28, 2020 12:12 PM

Offline
Mar 2015
272
Wow.. a year ago, I would have laughed at you if you told me a manga will even come close to OP's all time high sales number(2011), let alone surpassing it in half a year. amazing.

I wonder what percentage of these sales are physical sales? Oricon's numbers used to be mostly physical sales, right? is it still the same?
MonstrumMay 28, 2020 12:16 PM
May 28, 2020 12:43 PM

Offline
Oct 2013
12237
deg said:
take a bow Demon Slayer well deserved

Attack on Titan though how the mighty have fallen and fans even call the final arc the best one too


Given that it is a monthly manga and its individual sales has drop its not surprising, snk was always handicapped for being a monthly series since weekly series release more volumes than it.

Congrats to kimetsu no yaiba though I'm not a fan of it but those sales are impressive, I'm interested to see if op fans will find any excuse to this.

Monstrum said:
Wow.. a year ago, I would have laughed at you if you told me a manga will even come close to OP's all time high sales number(2011), let alone surpassing it in half a year. amazing.

I wonder what percentage of these sales are physical sales? Oricon's numbers used to be mostly physical sales, right? is it still the same?


Oricon only follows physical sales.

ClickBaitBuster said:
Didn't KnY already surpassed 60M? or was it 50M? Idk I think I saw it on twitter but I'm not sure.


60 million overall sales which includes this first half sales as well.
May 28, 2020 12:46 PM
Offline
Jul 2019
8
I think the reason Shingeki no kyojin didn't made it to the top three is because more people tend to prefer it's anime rather than it's manga....due to the large disparity in the quality and the stuff being premium in itself....( That's my reason atleast).
May 28, 2020 12:55 PM

Offline
Jul 2016
190
NG_Chloe said:
Hannatach said:
Can we all agree that Kingdom is the best series on this list?


I would, but it's not available in my country


http://sensescans.com/reader/series/kingdom/
May 28, 2020 12:58 PM

Offline
Apr 2013
7590
... wait a minute kusuriya no hitorigoto 's LN is a 300,000 in 6 months? Woot? I've been reading it but I never knew that was this popular Oo. It's above even Overlord? How did that happen? ;O
May 28, 2020 1:04 PM
Offline
Jan 2009
82736
@keragamming

oh ye that makes a lot of sense its the same with One Punch Man having few volumes being sold each year too
May 28, 2020 1:05 PM
Ero Ojisan

Offline
Jun 2019
4022
Zuleen said:
I think the reason Shingeki no kyojin didn't made it to the top three is because more people tend to prefer it's anime rather than it's manga....due to the large disparity in the quality and the stuff being premium in itself....( That's my reason atleast).


That's true because I didn't start reading the manga until Part 3 finished airing.
May 28, 2020 1:10 PM
Offline
Jan 2009
82736
@Zuleen
@AddaeAkono

this is japan sales though and in japan manga is way more popular than anime there

attack on titan sold less because it sells only few volumes each year
May 28, 2020 1:12 PM
Offline
Jul 2019
8
deg said:
@Zuleen
@AddaeAkono

this is japan sales though and in japan manga is way more popular than anime there
than it has something to do with taste perhaps, Japanese audience doesn't prefers mature and gory stuff I guess.....
May 28, 2020 1:15 PM
Offline
Jan 2009
82736
Zuleen said:
deg said:
@Zuleen
@AddaeAkono

this is japan sales though and in japan manga is way more popular than anime there
than it has something to do with taste perhaps, Japanese audience doesn't prefers mature and gory stuff I guess.....


nah you miss quoting what @keragamming implied earlier which is "Attack on Titan sold less because it sells only few volumes each year due to it being a monthly manga rather than a weekly manga like One Piece and Demon Slayer"
May 28, 2020 1:32 PM

Offline
Mar 2015
272
keragamming said:


Monstrum said:
Wow.. a year ago, I would have laughed at you if you told me a manga will even come close to OP's all time high sales number(2011), let alone surpassing it in half a year. amazing.

I wonder what percentage of these sales are physical sales? Oricon's numbers used to be mostly physical sales, right? is it still the same?


Oricon only follows physical sales.


Oh you're right, my bad. the sales are so impressive that my mind mixed up the oricon manga sales with the music sales or something lol. Sorry.
May 28, 2020 2:07 PM

Online
May 2015
5313
KnY's popularity was already apparent, but seeing this just really goes to show how much it's actually dominating the industry. Like this list honestly looks like a photoshop for an April Fools joke because the gap is just so ridiculous lol.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Otonari ni Ginga' Unveils Additional Cast, Opening Theme, Second Promo

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

5 by Softhenic03 »»
8 hours ago

» 'Level 1 dakedo Unique Skill de Saikyou desu' Unveils Main Cast Pair, Additional Staff, Summer 2023 Premiere

Hyperion_PS - Jan 25

3 by EcchiGodMamster »»
9 hours ago

» Broadcast of 'Kubo-san wa Mob wo Yurusanai' Postponed

DatRandomDude - Jan 24

22 by IslandMan05 »»
Today, 4:55 AM

» Winter 2023 Simulcast List [Update 1/13] ( 1 2 )

Snow - Dec 30, 2022

51 by creastysomp »»
Today, 2:48 AM

» Manga 'Hyakushou Kizoku' Receives Anime

Hyperion_PS - Oct 26, 2022

10 by Robinsion »»
Yesterday, 10:28 PM