Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 20, 2020 3:11 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, I like how this episode made the match matter by every single second where time is of the essence.

Regardless of the score, it's the team effort that matters together in the end imo.
May 20, 2020 3:52 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
2-3 episodes more and the mother is dead I guess
May 20, 2020 4:17 AM

Feb 2012
The game ending is left as a cliff hanger & Soras mother in the emergency room for her heart is another cliff hanger... Hopely this doesnt end sad cause last episode She realized what her next goal/dream was. I honestly thought she was dealing with blindness caused by cancer or something
May 20, 2020 4:41 AM

Aug 2018
I didn't think my heart would held up with the sudden change of atmosphere between the end of the match and Sora's mom collapsing, the whole hospital sequence was really emotional and touching.
May 20, 2020 4:45 AM

Jan 2017
I was so not ready for those last 3 minutes :(
May 20, 2020 4:59 AM
Apr 2020
Don't really know what got into the storyboarder for "running" during these last episodes but anyway, at the least the game is over (for complainers ;) ).

I like indeed the irony of the inverted situation compared to the last action of the game lost by the girls (in beginning of episode 26). Personally, I would have not put any "sobs" when the grandma was crying, as the pictures were speaking by themselves. But anyway...

And once again, gentle reminder for basket-ball junkies but NBA-centric: They play based on FIBA basketbal rules and in that context, there is a “5 seconds closely guarded rule” (stating that you cannot hold the ball more than 5 seconds without passing, dribbling or shooting if there is a defender close to you) applied anywhere on the court (not only during inbouding).
Blu7May 20, 2020 5:03 AM
May 20, 2020 5:00 AM

Mar 2019
Here I was ready to complain how one match lasted 7 episodes, but the last 3 minutes... *sigh*
May 20, 2020 5:08 AM

May 2013
We still don't know who won?
May 20, 2020 5:27 AM

Oct 2009
Sorry not sorry, but the setup with Sora's mom is just terrible. Or maybe not even the setup itself, but the build-up and how it's presented throughout the season. Has some mysterious illness from the very start that makes her so weak she has to stay in a hospital, something so mysterious it can't be named but we know is inoperable, and yet - the few times we do get to see her, she's smiling and happy and inquisitive and all... And then suddenly it's like she just died, but oh no wait she didn't, we're just told she's a lot worse off than we were led to believe? Give me a break.

And all this during a game that's already drawn out far longer than it should be, with literally the last minute getting an entire episode of its own because even though it's just the first match it's literally left hanging in the air with a one or two point difference in its last few seconds, and at the end of which we still don't even get to see the last of it or know what happens with something we've spent like 6 or 7 episodes watching????

I think the phrase rhymes with clucking bell. -_-
yellowheartrenMay 20, 2020 5:32 AM
May 20, 2020 6:05 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, that's just heartbreaking. Clear as daylight that she's at her final whims now.

Sora helpless in the end there was just the finishing blow, really.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 20, 2020 6:21 AM
Apr 2020
Sometimes, I wonder who wrote the "bible" stating that in sport manga/anime, games should exactly last that number of chapters/episodes, that the first game should always be short, that the result should always be given immediately, that there should not be flash-backs during games, and so on... : )
May 20, 2020 6:27 AM
Nov 2015
The real question is, did they win?
May 20, 2020 6:41 AM

Jul 2012
How could they do this to me...

Should've ended with Sora telling her mom the result of the match, like "We won, mom." - cut to ending

Now I'm really curious if they really had won the match. Daaaamnnn don't spoil me I'll bear with it for a week
May 20, 2020 6:42 AM
Nov 2015
Spoil it for me, i don't mind it :D
May 20, 2020 7:22 AM

Aug 2018
I honestly thought her mother would ask "Did you win" and the episode would end on this very sentence but no, they didn't go that far. However we still ignore if the final result but I believe they lost. Answer will be revealed next week !
May 20, 2020 8:12 AM
Jul 2018
T_T Sora might lie and tell her mom that they won the game to see her smile.. damn it! tsk! my heart is heavy...
ps: im just assuming they lose because looks like it does to add more drama
May 20, 2020 9:06 AM
Jun 2017
I just feel sad for Sora's mom. She really has a bad health condition but still wanting to watch his son play the game.
May 20, 2020 9:07 AM

Jun 2009
[quote=defaltknight02 message=59840562]T_T Sora might lie and tell her mom that they won the game to see her smile.. damn it! tsk! my heart is heavy...
ps: im just assuming they lose because looks like it does to add more drama[/quote

I'm just guessing, but it's obvious they won. Who would make an anime where they lose the important game and then get kicked from the tournament. Also, they wouldn't show the other school players, who are strong and etc. They just introduce us to next enemies Kuzu will have.

If they lost, what the last 19 episodes would be about, waiting for next year, training?:D
May 20, 2020 9:21 AM

Aug 2017
That last 3mins was intense.
And here I was hoping someone will post a spoiler here!

May 20, 2020 9:40 AM
Dec 2010
yellowheartren said:
Sorry not sorry, but the setup with Sora's mom is just terrible. Or maybe not even the setup itself, but the build-up and how it's presented throughout the season. Has some mysterious illness from the very start that makes her so weak she has to stay in a hospital, something so mysterious it can't be named but we know is inoperable, and yet - the few times we do get to see her, she's smiling and happy and inquisitive and all... And then suddenly it's like she just died, but oh no wait she didn't, we're just told she's a lot worse off than we were led to believe? Give me a break.

And all this during a game that's already drawn out far longer than it should be, with literally the last minute getting an entire episode of its own because even though it's just the first match it's literally left hanging in the air with a one or two point difference in its last few seconds, and at the end of which we still don't even get to see the last of it or know what happens with something we've spent like 6 or 7 episodes watching????

I think the phrase rhymes with clucking bell. -_-

I totally agree. The entire thing is too drawn out. it truly gets tiring first when sports animes set up the characters and main team up for failure whatever the case may be. It is like there is this funny actually unrealistic formula where the main character and team must fail or lose their frist few games in order to grow. In reality however a team with their individual skills, and even team work up to this episode should win some and lose some. I watched episode 25-32 just now, and i am first glad that i waited for the episodes to pile up, but at the same time, i genuinely feel like i wasted my time and energy. Will once more wait for the episodes to pile up or for the series to end so i just skip stuff. It is a bit tiring to follow. I hope it gets better. Not to say it isn't a good overall show...Just please...
May 20, 2020 9:58 AM
Apr 2020
Tia22 said:
I totally agree. The entire thing is too drawn out. it truly gets tiring first when sports animes set up the characters and main team up for failure whatever the case may be. It is like there is this funny actually unrealistic formula where the main character and team must fail or lose their frist few games in order to grow. In reality however a team with their individual skills, and even team work up to this episode should win some and lose some.

Well, I am sorry to disagree (no polemic here). I am not saying either that they lost or won. But so you are telling me that a team built with more than half of the starting five being ex-retired players (which by the way, stopped in middle school), a dwarf who never played competition (Sora said that right before their first game) and bench players totally novice should realistically win against the teams that they faced so far? Actually, I would say that their short loss against Kitasumi was quite unrealistic to me (should have been wider). Yes, you lose some and win some but against teams matching your caliber. Especially looking at their roster. Or losing streaks in "real basket-ball" do not exist?. Unfortunately, this is not "Captain Tsubasa" ; ).

I do not say that this is perfect or joyful but I do not see what is weird apart from the fact that this is not common. But again, as I like to tell people, this not your
(not a spoiler, an opinion, but I hide it just in case)

But I agree that you do weel to watch many episodes rather than weekly.

edit: Do not really know why people want to be spoiled here...
Blu7May 20, 2020 10:11 AM
May 20, 2020 10:01 AM
Apr 2009
If I knew how to hide spoiler I would spoiler it to u guys

Edit: if you are curious
ApollonatorMay 20, 2020 10:05 AM
May 20, 2020 10:25 AM

Mar 2019
YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS the match is finally over, I dont even care about Kurumatani's mother at this point Im just glad we finally get to move onto something else.
Will his mother death take 7 eps too ? (I want a cliffhanger on her electrocardiogram at ep 38)
(The plot requires the death of MC's mom to end a match, thats hardcore tbh)
RingareMay 20, 2020 10:29 AM
May 20, 2020 10:57 AM

Oct 2017
They proly lost the match and now Sora's mom gonna die soon too. This is messed up.
May 20, 2020 12:32 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Sora's mom doesn't have much time and based on the look on Sora's face I'm guessing that they lost the match. We won't know until next week, but I'm wondering if Sora's mom is going to tell him that she saw him play?
May 20, 2020 12:42 PM

Nov 2013
wtf, almost full episode for 3 minutes of the game and we still don't know how it ended, really? ... i've been very interested since the anime started, but these last 2 episodes ........

we all knew Yuka is close to death, but didn't expect Sora to be called there in this episode, fellsbadman ... can we please finish that next episode, i'm kinda getting tired of feeling sad for her .
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
May 20, 2020 12:44 PM
Nov 2019
jagdze said:
Spoil it for me, i don't mind it :D

I dont recommend it😂😂
The manga is 616 chaps on hiatus since last year, only 146 chaps are translated.
But it gets interesting next
AF177013May 20, 2020 12:48 PM
May 20, 2020 1:21 PM
May 2019
Every damn time she appears, I cry.
They probably lost, it's what's likely. Maybe the game went into OT. But they definitely scored that one.
Sora had to leave because of his mom, so in case of a OT, probably was Tobi, Momoharu, Yasu, Chucky and Nabe who played it.
May 20, 2020 2:23 PM
Nov 2019
Finally the match is over but we don't know who wins and Sora's going to see her mom. I'm wonder if next episode will show us the end of the match or tell us who won.

I'm guessing probably Kuzu since they are the main team and I reminder seeing a new key visual of them with news characters (the last four cast members).
May 20, 2020 2:55 PM

Dec 2014
Gonna be brutally honest, I almost teared when Sora opened that door. That was a touching moment, brought on by an excellent buildup of sound, cinematography, and timing.
May 20, 2020 2:57 PM

Aug 2015
Finaly a half decent episode.
May 20, 2020 3:13 PM

Apr 2016
What a disappointment this show is. I was excited when it started but every episode I feel less and less interested in it. I love sports anime but this is not that good from my point of view, what a waste.
May 20, 2020 3:45 PM
Nov 2019
AnimeLoverMeow said:
Afarran said:

I dont recommend it😂😂
The manga is 616 chaps on hiatus since last year, only 146 chaps are translated.
But it gets interesting next

I was really sad when I started reading it and found out. I really didn’t expect it.

I am at 185 its getting interesting but yes it was sad
May 20, 2020 5:44 PM

Mar 2016
Finally that fucking match is over! ... Or i suppose, since the other team missed both of their shots and the clock had a couple of seconds that don't think were enough to score points.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

May 20, 2020 10:43 PM

Oct 2018
Quoting a wise old character from the beloved works of Araki Sensei: OH MYYY GOOOOOOOD!!!!

Did they win?!!! Obaachan crying broke my heart, I sighed in relief when I read "I.C.U.". At least the mother lives... Her passing after getting to see Sora play and enjoy himself with friends would have been a great closure, but it would be bad for the story; should the boys win, her death would hinder Sora's performance in the next match.

Since Yuka lives for now ("good news"), there might be room for a defeat ("bad news) in the plot. There was some foreshadowing when the senpai of the female team was explaining that they still can't expect much from the boys since they've only been training for a month, and that even a defeat would still be a good lesson and valuable experience for them, as in softening the blow for us watchers. However, Sora and Nao figured the secret plan of the other team and it seems they countered at the last second. We'll see...
Frank_86May 20, 2020 10:53 PM
May 21, 2020 1:49 AM

Mar 2012
I oddly found it quite satisfying that the final minute took the entire episode since a final minute can legit go that long in a real game, lol.

Nevertheless, I understand the gripes with the pacing and this show just loves putting us on endless cliffhangers (match result is still in the air). At the end of every recent episode, I almost always get the thought that this show would feel a lot better if you're binging it all in one sitting. Welp, there's no way they can keep the results from us next week, right?
May 21, 2020 12:04 PM

Jun 2019
It doesn't matter who won, but there were only 3 seconds left, no time to pass someone. ”(
lettuce<3
May 21, 2020 1:10 PM

Mar 2012
Aim1rR said:
It doesn't matter who won, but there were only 3 seconds left, no time to pass someone. ”(

That's not true; 3 seconds is plenty of time to make a single pass and take a shot.
May 21, 2020 1:20 PM
Apr 2018
That last 3 minutes though... nevermind the result, I just want Sora's mom to be okay.
May 21, 2020 2:00 PM

Apr 2012
tbh i dont care at all about the sport part, i just love the drama.
i cry every time... literally
May 21, 2020 9:23 PM

Jul 2017
oml they still managed to stretch out 30 seconds into a single ep lmao? Talk about too slow.

But those last few minutes though, once again proving to be better than the rest of the ep. fuk the sports at this point just make the series about Sora's mom and her struggles

where's the dad in all this lol?

what. the. flying. fuck???
May 21, 2020 10:40 PM

Jun 2019
AceDvazz said:
Aim1rR said:

That's not true; 3 seconds is plenty of time to make a single pass and take a shot.

If that's true, they have only a chance to go OT. Perhaps they have a center advantage.
lettuce<3
May 21, 2020 11:15 PM

Mar 2012
Aim1rR said:
AceDvazz said:

If that's true, they have only a chance to go OT. Perhaps they have a center advantage.

I think it was hinted that they were going for a 3 to end the game one way or another. I don't remember if it was explicitly mentioned, but I recall thinking it was a 3.
May 22, 2020 4:47 AM
May 2018
This episode REALLY made me consider dropping the show. I refuse to accept a "emotional" plot-line involving Sora's mom when we aren't even told what the actual f*** the condition is in the first place at the start of it. Also, dragging out a f***ing match 7 episodes long only to not even show the final moments and even say who won is a mess in itself. It is literally a joke, I cannot take this series seriously when people are saying that the recent match was "entertaining". Yet, I find even WNBA matches more entertaining than this pile of sh*t that I had to watch hoping it would actually end better. I really hope they hire a new director for this show cause the pacing is f***ing horrendous.
May 22, 2020 7:41 AM
Apr 2020
Oni-Sann said:
This episode REALLY made me consider dropping the show

"Ahiru no sora" or the "masochist anonymous" meeting ; ). But as said someone that you know, "one man's trash is another one's treasure". You better stop there as that series is really not for you (and I say that with zero offense)
May 22, 2020 10:39 AM

Jan 2013
Damn the drama aspect of this show they do an excellent job at... However the writing during basketball matches is absolutely horrid. Same goes for the pacing too.
May 23, 2020 4:25 AM
Jan 2016
For those who haven't read the manga, this anime is about to get VERY depressing.
May 23, 2020 2:14 PM

Jul 2016
Incredible... they really dared to leave the match's final result in a another cliffhanger.

And also... Damn, it seems they're actually gonna kill Sora's mother on screen... or not, I don't know. It's all so mysterious when it comes to her character since they always refuse to give a name to her "illness". Guess next episode will be a decisive one for a good amount of characters.

Now on a good note, I liked the whole build-up that led to Sora finally meeting his mother at the hospital. It's execution was rather decent and honestly, Obaachan crying moved me way more than I would like to admit.
May 23, 2020 5:22 PM

Oct 2008
The author might be torturing us...something happened to Sora's mom and they lost the match!? if that really happened then author is really a torture!
5/5.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ahiru no Sora Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2020

77 by Henk-Devries »»
Feb 13, 5:04 PM

Poll: » Ahiru no Sora Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2019

45 by Hinata22525 »»
Nov 21, 2023 10:54 PM

Poll: » Ahiru no Sora Episode 26 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2020

37 by nightjasmine »»
Oct 12, 2023 1:51 AM

Poll: » Ahiru no Sora Episode 49 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

38 by mirco99 »»
Oct 8, 2023 2:57 PM

» Will there be a season 2 of Ahiru no Sora?

TheCryBabyHero - Jul 10, 2023

7 by DemiDaCactus »»
Aug 27, 2023 9:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.