Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 16, 2020 9:01 AM

Oct 2019
I’ve tried to watch clannad multiple times and I just can’t get into it. I can see the show holds a deep meaning and will progress to become an amazing show. However the childish personas of the main characters makes it severely difficult to watch. Fuuko Ibuki is an extremely boring character with her outlandish addiction to starfish. I really do want to watch the series but I always end up dropping it half way through.
May 16, 2020 9:12 AM
Aug 2019
Season 1 is boring, just a delinquent solving people's problems basically, i needed like a month to finish it
Season 2 is the real deal, it becomes truly epic around 9th-10th episode of the Afterstory. Trust me, it'll pay off
May 16, 2020 9:14 AM

Oct 2012
Yeah the last 10 episodes were good, but you're gonna have to watch 30 eps of that goofy shit to get to the end lol. I wouldn't recommend forcing yourself.
May 16, 2020 9:16 AM

Nov 2011
The first season gets blasted a lot more than it ought to imo. I’d even call it underrated given how much people dump on it to get other people to watch through to After Story. The first season’s comedy is actually pretty good, and although the drama isn’t always great, it’s decent enough.

A lot of people who hate the first season love the second season, regardless. Fuuko’s arc is probably the most “out there”, but it does serve an important narrative purpose in establishing (spoilers) the setting’s magical realism, which is relevant later on.
May 16, 2020 9:24 AM

Oct 2013
@ParkSwing Is indeed a good show but like man dont try to force yourself to watch it
that'll just really ruin the experience Id say
the series could simply just not be for you in terms of taste

shouldn't feel forced to watch it just cause others felt an emotional connection to the series

If you want to give Clannad a fresh chance still though I highly recommend you watch Kanon 2006 and Air first since they are shorter but give you a good grasp for the themes and ideas Clannad expresses
May 16, 2020 9:25 AM

Oct 2019
Clannad was mediocre all the way until ep 9 of AS. After that it becomes amazing.
May 16, 2020 9:27 AM

Feb 2010
clannad is a slow burn the pay off doesn't really kick off till AS
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

May 16, 2020 9:30 AM

Nov 2019
Reinforcing on what's been said: it's a high-school harem during the first season but the second turns into a coming of age story for Tomoya. You'll come to learn that some characters that have been portrayed as childish, are anything but that.
May 16, 2020 9:39 AM

Oct 2017
if you want to waste your time then yes

May 16, 2020 9:40 AM

Aug 2016
Clannad? Not so much.
Clannad After Story? Yes.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
May 16, 2020 9:42 AM

Feb 2019
Clannad is just decent however after story is really good.
May 16, 2020 9:43 AM

Jul 2016
I watched it almost two years ago. I don't remember much of what actually happens, or what anyone's name was, but I do remember liking it. A lot of that has to do with the story actually progressing. A lot of people have said that it starts out as a basic harem show, and I think that's mostly true, except that progress happens in this show. It doesn't fuck us around by waiting until the very end for a character to maybe admit that they like another character. The relationships actually progress!

That probably doesn't sound too impressive in a vacuum, but it is such a rare thing for shows of this nature, and maybe I was just starved for a romance/harem show that actually goes somewhere before the end.
May 16, 2020 5:31 PM

Aug 2019
I think clannad gets good after episode 7.

I'm one of those people who actually like the first season of clannad.

May 16, 2020 5:34 PM

Dec 2018
I honestly really enjoyed both seasons of Clannad, but the second season is definitely the better one.
May 16, 2020 5:40 PM

Aug 2017
I think I'm in the minority when I say the first season was as good as the second. Maybe I'd even prefer the first one because I hate the ending in After story. The comedy was imo the best aspect but I can see why people liked After story more.

Don't watch the first season just to get to After story. The first season builds up things well and if you don't like it I don't see how you'd like After story.
May 16, 2020 5:45 PM
Jul 2018
You probably shouldn't watch it. I love the series, but you shouldn't force yourself to continue trying if you didn't like it. It does get better as the series goes on, but don't force yourself.
May 16, 2020 5:47 PM

Dec 2007
as people were saying, the 1st season is quit weak, but still enjoyable at times, while I will not recommend jump to AF try watch the 1st slowly to know the characters better and when watching AF you will enjoy.
May 16, 2020 5:56 PM

May 2019
No it's not. And After Story equally sucks with a classic overdramatic tearjerker story.

Everyone told me to be patient and that I would love the second half of AS, so I kept watching, but it only made me extremely angry because the MC was being a complete idiot through everything.

Yes, I have trust issues now. They also told me YLIA was something amazing. It wasn't. Anohaha was fine tho. Just fine and nothing more.
bluninjaMay 16, 2020 6:01 PM
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
May 16, 2020 5:58 PM

Sep 2018
Clannad is a "good show" but I don't personally think it's nearly as close to a masterpiece as a lot may say.

After Story is definitely better than Clannad, but once again not some crazy masterpiece (yes, this is subjective).
Blanks.
May 16, 2020 6:00 PM

Jul 2012
drop it and watch another anime, op. stop wasting your time.

this is coming from someone who watched ALL of clannad and regret it.
May 16, 2020 6:01 PM

May 2019
I enjoyed Clannad throughout most of the series, although there were some parts where I got bored. I think Clannad is good but it gets amazing at Clannad Afterstory.
May 16, 2020 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
I watched both seasons back in 2011 and thought it was a complete waste of my time.

Nothing wrong with finding a mediocre show shitty.
May 16, 2020 7:55 PM

Sep 2016
If you drop your logic its a good show, but even if you dont it will still not fail to make you cry.
May 16, 2020 8:07 PM

Dec 2016
if you like forced, cheap melodrama with one tragedy after another one being shoved down your throat and where you can tell they simply scream to you LOOK HOW TERRIBLE IS THIS, CRY! CRY! CRY!... and all this only after surviving 1.5 seasons of plotless high-school/harem stuff ranging from acceptable to completely pointless, then yeah I think it's worth the watch
May 16, 2020 8:36 PM

Nov 2019
ParkSwing said:
Fuuko Ibuki is an extremely boring character with her outlandish addiction to starfish.

Different strokes. I find her super cute and hilarious, and my heart melts every time she's on screen, especially once she "upgrades" to the party hat. At the same time, I can understand how others could find her irritating to the point of hatred.

Sure it's a good show, but it might not be to your taste, and that's fine. Maybe try it out again in a few years, but forcing yourself is just going to bring you boredom or annoyance right now. And you don't have to feel like you're missing anything. That just means you're appreciating the merits of something else, maybe in a way that someone who really likes Clannad can't. That's a good thing.
May 17, 2020 3:38 AM

Mar 2015
If it's that hard to watch it just drop it. Don't force yourself to watch something just because it's highly regarded.
May 17, 2020 3:47 AM

Aug 2018
I love the second season but you need to watch the first. The first was not so good as the second but you need it to know more about the characters. It is one of my favorite series fyi.
May 17, 2020 4:33 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
I think the last episodes of Season 1 were pretty weak compared to what the first episodes introduced. The second half of Season 2, however, really did it for me. I don't think it's deep as everyone makes it to be, since the show gives you all the answers towards the end. There is a lot of symbolism I appreciate found in the alternative realm that was there from the beginning, such as snow being a symbol for death, the robot could represent how Tomoya feels about himself and his reactions to the world.. I also liked the sense of parallels in the anime, sadness through happiness and vice-versa, being sound or idealistic... Also, the theme of "family" is very powerful through these series, also presented by Dango Daikazoku the whole time.
I feel like this series isn't for everyone but people who found themes or ideas or at least something similar liked it for that. If it's "actually a good show"... that's for you to decide based on your perspective.

Also, it's scary how similar I am to Tomoya lol. He seems like a deadpan at first but he definitely is the most intriguing character by far.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2020 6:03 AM

May 2009
Thread moved from Anime Discussion.
Jun 5, 2020 9:54 AM

Oct 2017
First series is generic and rather boring tbh, its only remembered because of After story...otherwise no one would give a shit.

And yeah Fuuko is the worst part of the show, what an annoying bitch
Sep 3, 2020 12:14 AM
Aug 2020
I'm kind of relieved to see other people say that they had a hard time with Clannad. I don't think I've gotten past the fifth episode of the first season, and I just can't get into it. I've heard that After Story is amazing, but I don't know if I can make myself finish the first season just to get to that. So I dropped it for now, and maybe I'll revisit it later on when I've burned through everything else on my watch list.
Dec 26, 2020 5:06 AM

Aug 2014
season 1 is a good show, but it has its flaws. AND ITS A MAJOR FLAW

Those flaws are the Fuuko arc and the Kotomi arc. No wonder they made those two arcs the first arcs. They were dull. Episodes 5 to 14 are a real drag to watch.

But before the Fuuko arc and after the Kotomi arc, it was a nice experience, nice anime, with good development.
oooo3333Dec 29, 2020 10:52 PM
Jun 30, 2021 4:25 PM
Dec 2017
it is indeed a incredble show that just excells in all areas especially in story and art.

Sep 19, 2021 2:37 AM
Aug 2021
Yes absolutely it's a masterpiece.
Dec 26, 2021 7:44 AM

Mar 2020
It's for sure a good show, even if you don't like the main genres of it. Watch it with the purpose of watching the second Season at least, which should be definitely a masterpiece to any anime watcher.

"I wonder if anything will ever change? Will that day ever come?"
- Okazaki, Tomoya
"Nothing can stay unchanged. Fun things… Happy things…
They can’t possibly remain the same."
- Furukawa, Nagisa

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Awesmoe - Mar 28, 2008

349 by EM1LL3US »»
Apr 10, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KY791 - Mar 13, 2008

145 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KY791 - Mar 6, 2008

214 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nodoka-koi - Nov 29, 2007

442 by Viipers7810 »»
Apr 5, 2:16 AM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KY791 - Feb 28, 2008

158 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 4, 9:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.