Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 12, 2020 10:29 PM

Jan 2019
There's a lot of talk about emulation, especially when it comes to Nintendo games, and I was just curious about everybody's stance on emulation.
May 12, 2020 10:32 PM

Jan 2009
emulation be it games or none game softwares needs powerful CPU or hardware overall and i think i remember reading there are GPU accelerated emulation now too? cool news

but whats the point when cloud gaming is the future like google stadia /s
May 12, 2020 11:39 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
emulation be it games or none game softwares needs powerful CPU or hardware overall and i think i remember reading there are GPU accelerated emulation now too? cool news

Cloud gaming could be the future but for another 5 years, it's pretty bad for now

As for emulation, it's pretty cool, but it really need a powerful PC to even just run a ps2 game, which isn't the best choice if you don't have a powerful PC
Pain desu

May 13, 2020 12:29 AM

Mar 2016
deg said:

Stadia flopped pretty bad its only a matter of time until google pulls the plug on it.

Emulations great, why waste money on a physical copy when you can play it for free its not like the original devs are going to get any money from you buying it on eBay.
May 13, 2020 12:38 AM

Jan 2019
Maxsundew said:
deg said:

Stadia flopped pretty bad its only a matter of time until google pulls the plug on it.

Emulations great, why waste money on a physical copy when you can play it for free its not like the original devs are going to get any money from you buying it on eBay.

Stadia just tried to do something that technologically just wasn't ready. It will definitely work in like a decade tho
May 13, 2020 3:44 AM

Jun 2016
I like emulation especially for 3d games. The ability to change the rendering resolution and add AA makes remasters irrelevant. I can ignore the minor imperfections because of these benefits.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 13, 2020 4:20 AM

Jun 2011
I played Persona 3 and 4 on PCSX2 back in 2011. If it wasn't for emulators I wouldn't be playing JRPGs now. Plus, I bought the games I liked, including P3 and P4. I even bought PS3, 3DS. And It's always good to play some retro games on the phone via emulation.
May 13, 2020 4:52 AM

Apr 2012
My stance on emulation is pretty much linked to retro-gaming. Like from a historical point of view, old games are patrimonial, and just because they're old doesn't mean they aren't great and shouldn't be played (which is true for every media btw, some old books, films, songs are intemporal). Which is why access to them through emulation is pretty great. Even if emulation is never perfect, it still get rid of the platform issue, which as always bothered me and is unbelievably backward when you think about it (and will disappear in due time imho).

So it's really annoying when copyrightowners that obviously couldn't care less about their old ips, not only don't ignore what fans do, but actively prevent you from enjoying treasures of the past (that they built their current reputation on). After a certain time as passed, cultural goods become the property of all, if the owner doesn't realise it's important to keep such heritage alive, well of course somebody else will do it, out of love.
May 13, 2020 5:52 AM

Apr 2020
It makes Nintendrones seethe, so its pretty good.
Go ahead, reply. I'm not going to read it.
May 13, 2020 7:23 AM

Jan 2018
Nice somebody got to do it, I mean games like that isn't meant for adult like it's very niche if you don't grow up with the aesthetic of it it's kinda hard to jump into it. It's how older people view anime. So if younger generation can play it again then it's good entertainment right. Old school gamers can relieve their nostalgia too.

It's like licenses and stuff so I hear it's hard to remaster games (might not be profitable)
May 13, 2020 10:02 AM

Aug 2009
Kalvus said:
There's a lot of talk about emulation, especially when it comes to Nintendo games, and I was just curious about everybody's stance on emulation.

I love emulation.Mostly its various Nintendo and playstation console games I play on emulation. I do play sega,NEC and other retro console games, but not as much as the Nintendo and playstation console games. A nice thing about emulation is that you can play games that never made it to the US and those games are translated.

I use a open source handheld console called a Anbernic RG350 that I got for around 70 bucks. IT emulates everything up to PS1 games. IT can even emulate dos games and has a virtual keyboard for it. I love it.Its actually well built. It has two joysticks and L1,L2,R1 and R2 buttons. Which a lot of budget handheld emulators and even some high priced more powerful hand held emulators don't have two joysticks and R2, and L2 buttons.

This is the RG350P,which is an improved RG350, they do have different colors if you don't like the orange and black colors.
ezikialrageSep 20, 2020 7:43 AM
May 13, 2020 10:18 AM

Aug 2009
I can go either way, but I do spend more time with the games that I actually buy.

May 13, 2020 12:06 PM

Apr 2015
I love emulation. I own a lot of consoles and I still emulate my games because emulation is at a point where games are starting to look and play better emulated than in the original hardware.

It also makes extremely rare games playable, I own a copy of Lunar SSSC but the sequel is about what, 200 dollars these days? yeah, no way lol.

That said I wish there was more support on some scenes. PS3 emulation is in its' infancy, NDS, Dreamcast and Saturn emulation are pretty much abandoned, arcade emulation is understandably a damn mess and og xbox emulation is pretty much non-existent.

I'm just waiting for the day when someone produces an affordable single board PC capable of running Dolphin flawlessly. That will be the day. (Alternatively I will also take a 22w powerbank to power my Asus Vivostick without a power brick)
GuilionMay 13, 2020 12:14 PM
May 13, 2020 2:52 PM

Jul 2017
deg said:

yea you really need a higher performance PC just to run like Ps2 games lel. Even so, some games still can't be properly emulated (like the first Ratchet and Clank)

but other than that I do like playing emulators from time to time. Mainly because it's easier to cheat on certain games as opposed to having to purchase literal discs and whatnot (especially for PS2)
May 13, 2020 3:34 PM

Jan 2009
Short_Circut said:
deg said:

yea you really need a higher performance PC just to run like Ps2 games lel. Even so, some games still can't be properly emulated (like the first Ratchet and Clank)

but other than that I do like playing emulators from time to time. Mainly because it's easier to cheat on certain games as opposed to having to purchase literal discs and whatnot (especially for PS2)

ye but to me that is more about moores law and whats the status of PS3 emulation now? is it decent with current hardware?

i only play dreamcast emulators like redream https://redream.io/ when i want to play marvel vs capcom 2 and my very old A8 7650k can ye play it decently
May 13, 2020 3:43 PM

Jul 2017
deg said:
Short_Circut said:

ye but to me that is more about moores law and whats the status of PS3 emulation now? is it decent with current hardware?

i only play dreamcast emulators like redream https://redream.io/ when i want to play marvel vs capcom 2 and my very old A8 7650k can ye play it decently

I haven't tried ps3 emulators yet, mainly because most of the games I want to play aren't even available or they don't work properly on those emulators yet (so I guess that says a lot about the current state of things lol)

I do remember hearing that Metal Gear Solid 4, which came out in like 2008 finally got an emulator stable release like a few months ago so the progress is slow :P
May 13, 2020 4:15 PM

Jun 2014
I fully support emulation, even more now than in the past, because many old games are simply too expensive, and I'm not willing to pay "eBay prices" for old video games, so I'm glad that emulation exists.

May 13, 2020 5:12 PM

Nov 2008
Emulation is necessary for playing games that are too expensive to buy, preserving games especially lost games like Cooly Skunk and the massive number of lost and found hentai games. Unless you are a collector spending $500-2000 on a game is nuts, get a emulator and the rom or ISO and save your money.

May 13, 2020 5:23 PM

Oct 2017
Emulation games it's like watching anime illegally so you are stealing if you do it /s.

It's nice to being able to play older games again.

May 13, 2020 5:28 PM

Jan 2020
unless a game I really want to play is out of my price range or simply can't find anywhere I prefer not to emulate it but it is cool to be able to experience rare/expensive games
May 13, 2020 11:57 PM

Aug 2012
I think it is generally accepted when it comes to old/retro games.

But thanks to it, I managed to play Persona5(The only game that I care in console).
May 14, 2020 9:43 AM
Mar 2020
N64 emulator is lagging on my Nokia 5
PS1 is fast
PSP is fast with jrpgs and slow with 3d games
Dreamcast emulator is fast
So is GBA and SNES.
There exists no future. What exists is possibility 🧐
May 14, 2020 10:09 AM

Jun 2016
KD-Wizard said:

PPSSPP is actually one of the best performing emulators I've tried on PC. Is that a problem with the android version?
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 14, 2020 10:13 AM
Mar 2020
Theo1899 said:
KD-Wizard said:

PPSSPP is actually one of the best performing emulators I've tried on PC. Is that a problem with the android version?

Nope. It works great.
My specs aren't up to it though.
Snapdragon 430 1.4 GHz octacore cortex a53

Games like God of war don't run on it.
May 14, 2020 11:49 AM

Jun 2016
KD-Wizard said:
Theo1899 said:

Nope. It works great.

I see. I remember having similar issues with n64 emulation on my phone which is why I gave up trying to emulate anything 3d on phone. I read in an emulator wiki that mobile ARM chips are slow at emulation but I haven't looked any further than that.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 14, 2020 11:54 AM
Mar 2020
Theo1899 said:
KD-Wizard said:

Nope. It works great.

I see. I remember having similar issues with n64 emulation on my phone which is why I gave up trying to emulate anything 3d on phone. I read in an emulator wiki that mobile ARM chips are slow at emulation but I haven't looked any further than that.

A powerful smartphone like high end Samsung or oneplus emulates it smoothly. Mine is a $100 smartphone, can't expect much at this price.
May 14, 2020 11:58 AM
Mar 2020
Theo1899 said:
KD-Wizard said:

Nope. It works great.

Paper Mario ran fine on N64 but games like 007 turok etc didn't work. Even bomber man ran at very low FPS which was kinda puzzling.
May 14, 2020 5:25 PM
May 2018
I checked some emulators, and games like Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden (NES), and some others...

While I was familiar with emulators for years now, I never really used any shaders, because I thought there are only those cartoonish ones that simply look like bad mods.

I had no idea there are shaders like CRT Royale; it's just insane how wonderful old games look on my OLED TV.
Chrono Trigger is such a freaking beautiful SNES game.

With all due respect to CRTs, and those who are willing to give hundreds of euros for PVMs, and BVMs, IMO, emulation is definitely future for old school games, and its development should be encouraged.

May 14, 2020 7:55 PM

Jun 2015
Emulators are one of the best damn things that have ever happened to gaming. They're one of my biggest passions. My favorites among them, that I regularly use, would be:

KEGA Fusion. I discovered it in 2008 and I've been using it to this day. Even though it hasn't been updated for a decade, it's still a lovely piece of software that can emulate all the systems made by Sega before Saturn.

ePSXe. Great at emulating PS1. I own the console, but it looks better when I use the emulator. Also something I've been using since, I think 2006 or 2007.

Demul and Redream. When it comes to Dreamcast, my choice would be these two. I prefer Demul, but Redream can run some games Demul can't.

Dolphin. I had some issues with it at start, but now there are next to none.

Cemu. Thanks to this lovely little emulator, I'm able to play Mario Kart 8 with my old man almost every evening.

ridho_strife said:
As for emulation, it's pretty cool, but it really need a powerful PC to even just run a ps2 game, which isn't the best choice if you don't have a powerful PC

Actually, nowadays pretty much any PC that isn't older than a decade can run PS2 games just fine. Especially since they've recenly released a new version of PCSX2, after a long time, giving it a new life practically.

Maxsundew said:

This.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
May 14, 2020 8:11 PM

Nov 2008
daky-kun said:
Emulators are one of the best damn things that have ever happened to gaming. They're one of my biggest passions. My favorites among them, that I regularly use, would be:

KEGA Fusion. I discovered it in 2008 and I've been using it to this day. Even though it hasn't been updated for a decade, it's still a lovely piece of software that can emulate all the systems made by Sega before Saturn.

ePSXe. Great at emulating PS1. I own the console, but it looks better when I use the emulator. Also something I've been using since, I think 2006 or 2007.

Demul and Redream. When it comes to Dreamcast, my choice would be these two. I prefer Demul, but Redream can run some games Demul can't.

Dolphin. I had some issues with it at start, but now there are next to none.

Cemu. Thanks to this lovely little emulator, I'm able to play Mario Kart 8 with my old man almost every evening.

ridho_strife said:

Actually, nowadays pretty much any PC that isn't older than a decade can run PS2 games just fine. Especially since they've recenly released a new version of PCSX2, after a long time, giving it a new life practically.

Maxsundew said:

This.

The upcoming GPD Win Max can run PS2 at full speed for most games with no hacks (Win 2 can even run Front Mission 5 pretty well and that game can have issues on PC). Soon, I can have PS2 on a handheld.

Sep 14, 2020 11:45 AM

Nov 2019
Emulation is a good idea, especially for games that are difficult to find.
Sep 16, 2020 1:50 AM
May 2009
Its good. But it needs to be optimised.
Alot of PS2 Games are laggy. some games not a problem. but others like Ace Combat there is a noticeable drop in frame rate and audio lag.
Which is amazing considering we are nearly 2 decades from the date the PS2 was released.
Sep 16, 2020 1:55 AM
Dec 2010
Trust me it's necessary on nintendo games or any old games. Sometime, you can't find a copy of that game and sometime, the console is out of sale already. So your only option is there basically.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Oct 8, 2020 7:14 PM
Dec 2017
physical media forever and if you keep on taking excellent care of a console it will absoultelty last you forever and be in perfect condition for the rest of your life. Backwards compatability should always be used in consoles shame the vita doesn't have any.

Oct 12, 2020 12:13 AM
Sep 2018
There is the only thing that comes to my mind when mentioning emulation: retro-gaming. I mostly use emulation of old consoles like PS1, Wii, GameBoy,.etc to play some old game that I have not purchased at that time.
I have no idea in this section...
Oct 12, 2020 6:31 PM

Aug 2009
*installed emulators and downloaded some ROMs*

*still looks for legit copies on ebay*

Oct 12, 2020 8:52 PM
May 2020
somebody already mentioned the value of emulation as a way to preserve a cultural artifact and it's an interesting thing to behold how communities gather to reverse engineer not only saves of old games but also source code that has been lost to the developers and to time, because let's face it hardware ain't gonna be there to perform
Oct 13, 2020 12:24 AM
Oct 2019
Emulation, while a little weird helps with game preservation. While it enables piracy, it is an evil that is needed to happen. While I don't like the fact that people have there hard made game placed on the web for people to play the day before, I do love the fact that games can still be played even if they don't get rereleased. Super Mario Sunshine is a good example of this.
Oct 15, 2020 2:20 PM

Jun 2015
I've heard that nowadays you can even play Super Mario Odyssey on your PC thanks to Yuzu, with some minor glitches. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I might do it in the future.

Too bad we (still) don't have a decent emulator for any of the Xbox consoles.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Oct 20, 2020 5:12 AM
Jul 2020
It's alright when done correctly lol.

More topics from this board

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
9 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
10 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Today

2 by SwordBreaker36 »»
10 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

50 by Dumb »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.