Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 30, 2020 10:55 PM

Dec 2019
Meanwhile the name " Katarina " was using in MAL and "Bakarina", in the Anime Trending and some other page name " Catarina ", so which name is correct for this kawaii main villain in this otome game ?
SkyAceVNMay 7, 2020 4:05 AM
May 1, 2020 11:09 AM
Jan 2018
It's Katarina or also known as Bakarina amongst source fans
May 1, 2020 8:12 PM
May 2017
Mattinator95 said:

Why would she be called "Bakarina"? I haven't read the source so I won't know why. Those 4 episodes that were aired still has not hinted me that anything about her being called "Bakarina"
May 2, 2020 7:45 AM

Jun 2017
KrulYuno said:
Mattinator95 said:

Why would she be called "Bakarina"? I haven't read the source so I won't know why. Those 4 episodes that were aired still has not hinted me that anything about her being called "Bakarina"

I was going to call her that too haha, BAKA means "idiot" right? KATARINA + BAKA = BAKARINA, I won't spoil the manga but as you saw in the anime, every character is falling for her, tho that, she seems not to notice, you have to be really silly to not notice if someone kiss your neck or blush around you xD
"Gradually Watermelon"
May 2, 2020 8:28 AM

Apr 2017
but why not bakatarina? like bakaguya? I'd like to know why the masses prefer the other

May 2, 2020 10:15 AM
May 2017
YumiShinku said:
KrulYuno said:

I was going to call her that too haha, BAKA means "idiot" right? KATARINA + BAKA = BAKARINA, I won't spoil the manga but as you saw in the anime, every character is falling for her, tho that, she seems not to notice, you have to be really silly to not notice if someone kiss your neck or blush around you xD

Oh, she's called Bakarina cuz she's insensitive(?) hmm... that's why. I guess completing the show would eventually tell me the complete answer.
May 2, 2020 10:34 AM

Feb 2019
X500658 said:
but why not bakatarina? like bakaguya? I'd like to know why the masses prefer the other

Not really that deep. Bakarina flows better
May 2, 2020 2:11 PM

Jan 2009
KrulYuno said:
Mattinator95 said:

She's called bakarina because her denseness to everyone around her being in love with her in some form is strong enough that not even light can escape it.

TL;DR, bakarina is a idiot, who doesn't realize that she's loved by everyone, even blatant confessions won't work on her.
May 2, 2020 7:21 PM

Apr 2013
In the web novel, though it has been a few years since i’ve read it, Bakarina is Bakarina because she’s trying so hard to prevent her doom, and even up until she is friends with Maria, she doesn’t realise that her doom flag was destroyed long ago. She’s just overall dense, and even though she comes up with plans, most of them she either doesn’t end up doing properly or they work way too well for the wrong reasons. Most of the time she just ends up defaulting to being her wacky self despite trying to scheme like a villainess.

Thus, Bakarina is Bakarina.
May 2, 2020 7:26 PM
Feb 2018
Isn't there a game with that title? One that the protagonist dates a girl and cheats on her with another with the same name but with the first letter changed.
May 3, 2020 5:34 AM

Nov 2016
Doesn't really matter tbh.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 3, 2020 6:45 AM
May 2015
The C sounds more aristocratic IMO.
May 4, 2020 7:02 PM
Apr 2019
emolano said:
Isn't there a game with that title? One that the protagonist dates a girl and cheats on her with another with the same name but with the first letter changed.

You're talking about Catherine, that's a different name.

And about the thread, it should be either Katarina or Catharina (with an h)
May 4, 2020 9:40 PM
Feb 2018
konza said:
emolano said:

You're talking about Catherine, that's a different name.

And about the thread, it should be either Katarina or Catharina (with an h)
Close enough lol but yeah that one ty
May 7, 2020 4:06 AM

Dec 2019
Mattinator95 said:

Yep i know the name Bakarina since i read manga, and btw it's a funny name :))))))
May 20, 2020 2:53 PM

May 2016
If I am not wrong the official name is "Catarina", the italian name not Catherine or similar. But we manga and light novel readers got used to カタリナ (Katarina) so we call her Katarina or bakarina.
May 20, 2020 4:19 PM

May 2019
I'll start my own Vodka distillery. And the name of it will be BAKARINA.

[бакарина]
Jun 1, 2020 5:38 AM

May 2019
Btw, i was reading the manga and remembered this topic.

there, in Japan, its Catarina.

Why does the westerners never respect the "Romanji" spelling of names chosen by the japanese authors?
Jun 1, 2020 5:05 PM

Feb 2010
both are wrong her name is Bakarina
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 28, 2020 1:37 PM

Feb 2010
Rob7 said:

Why does the westerners never respect the "Romanji" spelling of names chosen by the japanese authors?

Aren't the authors use kanji/hiragana/katakana? And in case of hiragana/katakana, has each symbol has only one sound, e.g."カ" = "ka". And one symbol cannot have more sounds, e.g. "カ" cannot have "ka" & "ca" sounds at the same time. Am I right?

Even with this whole "Catarina" vs "Katarina", in my country it could be "Katarzyna".
Jul 28, 2020 2:20 PM

May 2019
Wannabiteme said:
Rob7 said:

Aren't the authors use kanji/hiragana/katakana? And in case of hiragana/katakana, has each symbol has only one sound, e.g."カ" = "ka". And one symbol cannot have more sounds, e.g. "カ" cannot have "ka" & "ca" sounds at the same time. Am I right?

Even with this whole "Catarina" vs "Katarina", in my country it could be "Katarzyna".

I'm not sure if the reason why westerners never respect the Romaji chosen, i repeat, chosen by the own author of the work, is because they know more about japanese language transliteration than the japanese author.

I guess it is more about what you said in the end: westerners simply translate names for something they think is more usual in their countries.

But why a country that uses Latin Alphabet translates a name that is already in Latin characters? (the romaji chosen by the author)

"Translating" the spelling of names that you actually can read and type without problems is so unrespectful.

How does people translated "Donald Trump" in this country? "Donadzy Trzymp"? Or maybe just translate common names. In this case, the Elizabeth Queen of England is translated too?
Jul 30, 2020 5:26 AM

Feb 2010
Rob7 said:

"Translating" the spelling of names that you actually can read and type without problems is so unrespectful.

How does people translated "Donald Trump" in this country? "Donadzy Trzymp"? Or maybe just translate common names. In this case, the Elizabeth Queen of England is translated too?

The problem is with English is that sounds does not equal letter(s). So maybe Catarina with C is not used in English? According to wiki (I don't know better place) there is no Catarina: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Feminine_given_names&from=C So maybe the author mess this? You know it's easy to spell something in English but Japanese is soooooooo easy to spell.
Donarudzu Tsurumupu -> どなるづ つるむぷ? Maybe little different but they would use sounds they use to write into their language.
Jul 30, 2020 7:38 AM

May 2019
There is no Catarina name with C in english, neither there names like Xi Jinping, Saoirse Ronan, Chloë Sevigny, Álvaro Morte... Even so these names are not "translated", because it is not supposed to translate names of people if it already uses your alphabet.

All said, there is a strong lack of respect with japanese authors by the western media that do the distribution of anime and manga in the western, where they assume that adapt every name is necessary, even if the author has already chosen a official transliteration. Something that this media avoids when the work is also from another western but not speaking-english country.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2020

125 by Shocked »»
Apr 21, 3:58 PM

Poll: » Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 23, 2020

156 by Shocked »»
Apr 21, 2:57 PM

Poll: » Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

164 by Shocked »»
Apr 21, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2020

236 by Shocked »»
Apr 21, 12:09 PM

Poll: » Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

135 by tunaworks »»
Mar 27, 2:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.