Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2020 1:34 AM

Mar 2018
Now, hear me out. I heard that Kingdom is a great manga series but, I haven't seen people talk about its anime, like never. Only heard that the anime adaptation isn't that good.

Just saw that the 3rd season of its anime is airing and it has a pretty good score here on MAL. So, just asking, is the anime worth watching?
Apr 29, 2020 1:36 AM

Jan 2009
if i recall they hate the anime adaptation because there are lots of 3DCG in it even the characters are a lot of times in 3DCG thats about it really

but if were you just read the manga its much faster that way and that manga is like one of the best sellers in Japan
Apr 29, 2020 1:36 AM

Jul 2017
Yah. The CG will make you nut instantly.

Apr 29, 2020 1:39 AM

Jun 2010
There is the usual crowd that bitches about the bad CG, but if that doesn't bother you and you're in it for a good story. Then yeah it is definitely enjoyable. I liked it a lot.
Apr 29, 2020 1:44 AM
Jan 2012
The general consensus is the aesthetic improves over time, so people typically recommend either reading the manga up until the end of season 1 or end of season 2 and then continuing the anime off that point, or just read the manga instead and maybe watch the anime after if you'd like.
Apr 29, 2020 1:46 AM
Aug 2019
Don't bother.....manga epic...CG will make you cringe
Apr 29, 2020 4:10 AM

Jul 2019
I'm a big fan of Kingdom manga (it's even in my favorites), but I couldn't get past episode 1 of the anime. I just don't like CG, so it's technically my fault. I would highly recommend you to read the manga. If you don't mind CG, you could check out anime aswell.
Apr 29, 2020 5:38 AM

May 2009
Thread moved from Anime Discussion.
May 9, 2020 9:02 AM

Mar 2020
It is.

What it doesn't have in animation it makes up in music.

Enjoyment curve:
ep1- 7/10
ep2-ep10- 5/10
ep10-ep15- 3/10
ep15-ep26- 7/10
ep26-ep31- 8/10
ep31-ep35- 9/10
ep35-ep38- 10/10
May 11, 2020 3:36 PM
Jul 2017
I actually was wondering this as well. I’m not one to care for CGI. I tolerated Berserk 2016 and 2017 after all. If the story is there and it’s of quality then that’s what really matters. The music is a plus too. I don’t really want to read the manga. At least not now. I’ve been considering getting into the anime. If the complaints about the CGI are the only negative aspect people focus on then I guess it’ll be worth it. At least for me. If I don’t care about the CGI then is it a good watch? Like does it follow the manga. That’s all that really matters. Because if the people praise the manga and the anime follows it well in spite of the CGI then I’m good.
May 12, 2020 11:24 AM

Oct 2012
I, too, tolerated -- even enjoyed -- the new rendition of Berserk. However, the CGI here was distracting to say the least, especially in earlier episodes. There were obvious loops used in the animation, where a soldier would use the same illogical jump and get pushed back over and over. In parts of it, it looks like Xin was nodding off to opium, with him looking down periodically awkwardly (not sure what they were trying to convey). In later episodes, the CGI was more subdued, except when they showed Xin for whatever reason.

But considering how bad the anime was, the CGI was the least of my worries. I did scan over the reviews and found out that the manga was much different -- to my relief. I just didn't see how this show could achieve over an 8. Now I hypothesize fans of the manga are viewing it with rosy glasses.

In contrast, I gave it a 3, for the following reasons:
  • The anime is exactly the same as a shounen, based around the power levels of key characters that dictate each battle. Strategies are nonexistent, as Qin generals charge through much bigger armies all 3 major battles in season 1 and knocking all the soldiers over like dominoes. The "strategy" is utterly unrealistic, involving sacrificing thousands of men to set up shounen duels between key characters.
  • Xin, or any general, could charge in with 100 men against 100,000 and all the soldiers would just step aside and form a path to allow them to go where ever they want. Teng could spin his weapon around and destroy an entire army like a Dynasty Warriors cheat code.
  • The soldiers and horses are like extensions to the general. The get hyped up when the general gets hyped up; they just stand around when the general doesn't. The horses are like limb extensions, like Gundams, in that they jump, side step, skid, based on the general's movements. It's ridiculous.
  • Whenever a duel occurs, all the soldiers would drop the fight right in front of them, and sort themselves into a circle to watch the duel in the middle of a war. In one instance, Xin decides it would be more productive for his team to watch a duel instead of participate in routing the enemy camp.
  • Character-wise, Xin is like an amped up Bakugo that just rushes into scenes and say cringey, edgy crap taken straight out of a shounen playbook. He would disrespect enemy elders and interrupt speeches by kings, and get away with it. He would crash strategy sessions and give stereotypical shounen speeches about guts and nakama power and inane commonsense things like, "I don't know anything about how strong the enemy is or anything, but I just know that we just have to beat them!!" Or keep repeating, "Don't say anything to try to confuse me, just tell me how to be the greatest general", when they tell him it couldn't be done.
  • There were numerous plot holes, such as Xin buying an armor and never wearing it, or that only 1 You Chi wanders out into the world, but 2 were shown dismantling a village, or that everyone ganged up against the strongest contender in a contest (with one winner, everyone else dies), but just left the 2nd strongest alone...
  • The biggest plot hole has to be that every assassin sent after Xin is supposed to be professionals, yet they lose their composure mid battle, and the battle devolves into a Jojo muda muda battle, with Xin picking an opportune time to strike back. Every battle! In one battle, an elite assassin that's known for never failing to kill his target with poison darts decides, in the name of "honor", not to fight Xin with poison darts.
  • Characters continually hype Xin up, comparing him to past legends, bringing back up that one flashback with Piao, when they only knew him for a few days, instead of reprimanding him whenever he does something stupid. Like Xin would inappropriately say, "I want to be Hokage!!!!" and some character would reminisce about how Liao also wanted to be the pirate king, instead of just dismissing the childlike dreams of a boisterous nobody.
  • In one scene, Xin's 100 men got sandwiched between some roughly 10,000s of men, injured, with Xin and Qiang Lei both unconscious. 50 of them were forced down a hill with people on the bottom waiting. One guy had a huge gash over his back, was losing blood, and people were following his blood trail. But 36/100 men survived! Do the math. The guy with the gash over his back was up and running the next day, and 3 months later participating in another war. I mean like...

My enjoyment curve:
Ep1- 5/10
Ep2-15- 3/10
Ep16-23 4/10
Ep24-end 3/10
Ep36 (flashback episode) 5/10

Actually, Ep33, when Meng Wu said in a war epic "Strategy cannot stop me!", -10000/10. I can't believe it, it's over negative 9000!!
katsucatsMay 12, 2020 11:27 AM
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 18, 2023 4:04 AM

Jul 2022
The short answer is YES. 

The first two seasons were bad visually, but the third and fourth were much much better.

But overall it's an amazing anime : The battles, the characters, the conspiracies, the soundtrack...everything is really great.

NO SPOILERS : The third season is the best so far The Coalition Invasion Arc
Jun 3, 2023 8:18 AM
Jan 2022
The anime is absolute dogshit.

PS2 animation aside, it removes a lot of parts from the manga that made me love this series. Sei and Kyou Kai's backstory was never animated. The Zhao army arc which was what made hooked to this manga  consisting of 70+ chapters of content was shorten down to 6 episodes. Bit of a nitpick but the names were also different from the manga which was annoying to watch. 

It is not just visual, the anime is trash and I ain't watching anything after season 1, 
Jun 26, 2023 4:16 AM
Nov 2021
the animation of the first seasons of the anime is horrible, read the manga

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kingdom Episode 20 Discussion

KiraYoshikage - Oct 15, 2012

27 by Zedz_c »»
Apr 17, 6:53 AM

» Sub who uses the japanese names

L1ncoln86 - Feb 6, 2023

9 by ErwinsArm »»
Apr 13, 1:02 PM

» Should I start this??

Wildbergerrrr - Mar 25

22 by Justp94 »»
Apr 2, 6:47 PM

Poll: » how is the dub for this

Homura24 - Apr 24, 2022

5 by Justp94 »»
Mar 26, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Kingdom Episode 26 Discussion

SilentTruth - Nov 27, 2012

22 by acilanelit »»
Mar 16, 12:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.