Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 22, 2020 8:21 AM

Aug 2016
My friend recommended this series and even said it was a masterpiece (10/10) so out of respect for him and his taste, I decided to watch it.

Without a doubt, this one of the worst anime I've seen. Many inconsistencies, flaws with the characters and the plot itself, the directing was all over the place, the tonal shifts were very rough and don't even want to talk about the time skips.

Despite all that, this anime is rated so highly and I can't really understand why. I've read a few reviews on why they love it but they don't really answer the question, but rather try to break down the show as objectively as possible or just summarize the plot.

So I wanted to ask: If you love this show, why? What is the main standout feature that made you go: "This is an absolute masterpiece!"

Is it the plot twist at the end?
Is it the world building itself?
Or just a fan of the LN?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 22, 2020 8:45 AM

Apr 2019
It's a great anime that makes use of Sci-Fi, Mystery, Horror, Psychological, Supernatural and Drama. I also have a thing for crazy shits, and as a person who love crazy shits, I could confirm to you that this shit is fucking crazy. Hence it's a masterpiece.

There's also Yuri.

Apr 22, 2020 9:57 AM

Sep 2014
For starters, yes Shinsekai yori has some flaws, but so does everything else. And compared to the top rated show (~8.50 to 9.xx) I think SSY managed to tells a much more consistent story without relying on asspulls, comedy, shock factor, unsubstantial monologue or melodrama. I haven't watched many shows where each episodes had a good amount of substances which move the plot forward faster than it appears while constantly contributing to the world building. The build-up to the ultimate pay-off at the end was incredibly satisfying and concluded the show perfectly.

I rated it 10/10 out of pure enjoyment because it's the better show I've watched according to my specific taste. I don't consider it a "must see masterpiece" or a timeless classic. It sure is for me, but I recognize that it's not what people want for a masterpiece. As much as I like Shinsekai yori, I always thought Shinsekai yori doesn't have its place amongst the other highly rated show. It's totally not mass-appealing like your usual shounen stuff which tries to trick you with supposed strategy or by dedicating tons of episodes on characters development you could foresee the upcome km ahead.

What pleased me in this show was its originality, the constant thoughts provoking and the crazy shits. And as far as I know SSY is not really that unique put into perspective. I respect this show for the things it did differently like how the horror themes come from the unknown.
Apr 22, 2020 12:59 PM

Aug 2016
Hrybami said:

What pleased me in this show was its originality, the constant thoughts provoking and the crazy shits. And as far as I know SSY is not really that unique put into perspective. I respect this show for the things it did differently like how the horror themes come from the unknown.

One thing I will say about this show is the plot line is definitely intriguing. The philosophical aspects that it attempts to bring up were definitely one of the more appealing things I found. But at the end of the day, it really just throws all of that back in your face. From my POV, this was incredibly slow and a lot of people seem to agree the first 5 episodes or so are absolute torture.

To really carry a great plot, I believe what is fundamental for that is great characters, or it'll just be a sense of disconnect. And I couldn't think of a more bland rag-tag group than this one. The only redeemable characters were Satoru and
They actually made me want to continue watching, if it was only by a thread.

I completely agree that series' should be rated by overall enjoyment and experience rather than objectivity like a lot seem to do here, which is why I have Babylon at a 10/10, despite it being widely hated. But ratings on this site are more tied to popularity than genre. Although most of the top anime are shounen, that's because that's what the majority watch or accept. I don't think it has anything to do with its overall appeal. If it's written well enough, the word will spread.

I respect your outlook that this isn't a series for everyone, and i'm inclined to agree. But what still has me baffled is the rating and it makes me question if i'm the oddball here?
Oct 15, 2020 6:30 PM

Nov 2010
I agree with you ^ I just like the anime but I'm not in love as everyone else is.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.