Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 20, 2020 8:22 AM
#1

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
I think many people mistake anxiety as a failure, when actually avoiding anxiety is the true failure of a work of art.
Because people think that the only purpose of art is to entertain, they avoid everything that makes them think about what is portrayed in the illusion of the show.

I get anxiety from conflict, the common experience of conflict today is of misunderstanding, that people fail to communicate with each other.
But I claim that this failure of communication is the essence of the objective conflict between people. It is not that people cannot find the right words, it is that the right words do not exist, it is an objective split in perspective based on one's life experience that shape one's language that create the split in language.

Have you experienced something similar?
How have you experienced anxiety in anime, how it affects on another level than just being mindlessly entertained?
SafeanewApr 20, 2020 8:33 AM
Apr 20, 2020 8:25 AM
#2

Offline
Dec 2015
21
I feel anxious every time there's a live performance of some sort.
Apr 20, 2020 8:41 AM
#3

Offline
Dec 2018
3401
To much fighting or any kind of violence and ill behaviour towards my females , makes me anxious and very irritated. My cute lesbians shall love each other. It doesn't suit my taste very well if its too dark or too much drama







Apr 20, 2020 8:43 AM
#4

Offline
Oct 2018
402
I get anxious when I'm 100 ep deep into a series and realize it looks like it's going to have a rushed BS ending, or no ending at all due to being canceled...
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Apr 20, 2020 8:45 AM
#5

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
Yuri-Crusader said:
To much fighting or any kind of violence and ill behaviour towards my females , makes me anxious and very irritated. My cute lesbians shall love each other. It doesn't suit my taste very well if its too dark or too much drama

So innocent flirting, they should not love each other?
True love comes with conflict.
Apr 20, 2020 8:47 AM
#6

Offline
Jul 2016
2414
Safeanew said:
I think many people mistake anxiety as a failure, when actually avoiding anxiety is the true failure of a work of art.
Because people think that the only purpose of art is to entertain, they avoid everything that makes them think about what is portrayed in the illusion of the show.

I get anxiety from conflict, the common experience of conflict today is of misunderstanding, that people fail to communicate with each other.
But I claim that this failure of communication is the essence of the objective conflict between people. It is not that people cannot find the right words, it is that the right words do not exist, it is an objective split in perspective based on one's life experience that shape one's language that create the split in language.

Have you experienced something similar?
How have you experienced anxiety in anime, how it affects on another level than just being mindlessly entertained?

Pretty much what you just said,misunderstanding in anime make me anxious.Especially when the hero is framed for something he/she did not do.
Apr 20, 2020 8:47 AM
#7

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
NO_U_ETC said:
I get anxious when I'm 100 ep deep into a series and realize it looks like it's going to have a rushed BS ending, or no ending at all due to being canceled...

Do you get any anxiety from the story?
Apr 20, 2020 8:48 AM
#8

Offline
Jul 2019
3314
Odiurd said:
I feel anxious every time there's a live performance of some sort.


This^^
I always have a feeling that something bad or embarassing will happen in the next scene.
Apr 20, 2020 8:49 AM
#9

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
Missaliensan said:

Pretty much what you just said,misunderstanding in anime make me anxious.Especially when the hero is framed for something he/she did not do.

How would you describe such scenes? For example is it delibarate framing or a misunderstanding? Do characters talk in different ways?
Apr 20, 2020 8:51 AM

Offline
Oct 2018
402
Safeanew said:
NO_U_ETC said:
I get anxious when I'm 100 ep deep into a series and realize it looks like it's going to have a rushed BS ending, or no ending at all due to being canceled...

Do you get any anxiety from the story?

Sometimes in the form of an existential crisis... if that counts.
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Apr 20, 2020 8:52 AM
Offline
Jul 2018
570560
NO_U_ETC said:
I get anxious when I'm 100 ep deep into a series and realize it looks like it's going to have a rushed BS ending, or no ending at all due to being canceled...


Bruh I felt this, this was me and Shaman King
Apr 20, 2020 8:52 AM

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
@Odiurd
@NamikazeHime
Why does such scenes give such fears or expectations?
Does it come with all live performances or just some?
Apr 20, 2020 8:53 AM

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
NO_U_ETC said:

Sometimes in the form of an existential crisis... if that counts.

Yes, that counts. What kind of scenes give existentail crisis?
Apr 20, 2020 8:53 AM

Offline
Jul 2016
2414
Safeanew said:
Missaliensan said:

Pretty much what you just said,misunderstanding in anime make me anxious.Especially when the hero is framed for something he/she did not do.

How would you describe such scenes? For example is it delibarate framing or a misunderstanding? Do characters talk in different ways?

Probably what happens In Inuyasha where the villain will set things up so that it looks like Inuyasha for killled a whole clan of people,so it will all go according to his plan.
Misunderstandings in a more common sense such as when characters misinterpret stuff when they see it also make me anxious.
Apr 20, 2020 8:54 AM

Offline
Apr 2019
528
uhh to me anxiety is simply a part of entertainment when it comes to watching anime. i hate it, but i like it.
Apr 20, 2020 8:58 AM

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
Agent_Redacted said:
uhh to me anxiety is simply a part of entertainment when it comes to watching anime. i hate it, but i like it.

Do you have an example of what gives you anxiety?
Apr 20, 2020 8:59 AM

Offline
Nov 2015
754
Missaliensan said:
Safeanew said:
I get anxiety from conflict, the common experience of conflict today is of misunderstanding, that people fail to communicate with each other.
But I claim that this failure of communication is the essence of the objective conflict between people. It is not that people cannot find the right words, it is that the right words do not exist, it is an objective split in perspective based on one's life experience that shape one's language that create the split in language.

Have you experienced something similar?
How have you experienced anxiety in anime, how it affects on another level than just being mindlessly entertained?

Pretty much what you just said, misunderstanding in anime make me anxious. Especially when the hero is framed for something he/she did not do.


Yeah, same. I didn't really understand it myself until you said it, but seeing characters misinterpret one another stresses me out, especially when those misunderstandings go on to shape the larger plot elements, like in Code Geass. Things can go so bad so quickly.
Apr 20, 2020 9:02 AM

Offline
Jul 2019
3314
Safeanew said:
@Odiurd
@NamikazeHime
Why does such scenes give such fears or expectations?
Does it come with all live performances or just some?



For me, it's the case with most of them. Especially when character holds some kind of important speech and the anime itself is a psychologial one, not the comedy.
As for the question why it gives me that feeling - It's actually my personal problem. You see, I hold public speeches all the time (it is one of the most important parts of my major), however, no matter how many times I do that, I still have an anxiety attack before every single one of them.
Apr 20, 2020 9:04 AM

Offline
Feb 2010
34583
I don't. Anxiety is something my brain reserves for real life, usually in the worst moments over the most trivial things.

Misunderstandings in anime usually just make me angry or frustrated or annoyed, but not anxious. Anxiety is really something I only feel internally, about myself, my decisions, my actions, my future etc... It's kind of existential anxiety, that's the only anxiety I know.
One day we will die, but on all the others we won't.
Top 50 anime with short episodes stack = HERE
Top 50 shorts and MVs (1 episode, under 15 mins) stack = HERE
Current drink of choice: Americano
Apr 20, 2020 9:08 AM

Offline
Oct 2018
402
Safeanew said:
NO_U_ETC said:

Sometimes in the form of an existential crisis... if that counts.

Yes, that counts. What kind of scenes give existentail crisis?

Probably the ending of Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica. Which is maybe the best ending to an anime that I have ever seen. And not just the existential anxiety,

I see you didn't think as much for that show, but for some reason it hit me pretty hard with its ending.
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Apr 20, 2020 9:09 AM

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
Pullman said:
I don't. Anxiety is something my brain reserves for real life, usually in the worst moments over the most trivial things.

Misunderstandings in anime usually just make me angry or frustrated or annoyed, but not anxious. Anxiety is really something I only feel internally, about myself, my decisions, my actions, my future etc... It's kind of existential anxiety, that's the only anxiety I know.

What kind of misunderstandings in anime make you angry?
Apr 20, 2020 9:09 AM

Offline
Jul 2016
2414
horridhendy said:
Missaliensan said:

Probably what happens In Inuyasha where the villain will set things up so that it looks like Inuyasha for killled a whole clan of people,so it will all go according to his plan.

Ugh, my heart *cries all over again*

God damn naraku always setting things up so it looks like Inuyasha´s fault lol.I feel bad for him since he already gets discriminated so often by being a half demon.
Apr 20, 2020 9:13 AM

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
NO_U_ETC said:

Probably the ending of Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica. Which is maybe the best ending to an anime that I have ever seen. And not just the existential anxiety,

How would you describe the presentation of that scene? Did you notice a lot of details, or did the scene as a whole convey that?
Apr 20, 2020 9:13 AM

Offline
Aug 2018
300
I'm often anxious irl but not so much while watching anime because e.g. in sports anime when the player is about to score/miss an important goal, in the end it'll be alright, they'll definitely win some day lol. So I can rest in that fact and watch their journey of growth in peace.
Apr 20, 2020 9:15 AM

Offline
Jan 2019
303
Anytime there is drama which resembles that of my past.
"Whether you're sad, you're hurt, or empty, you have to keep playing."

Apr 20, 2020 9:17 AM

Offline
Dec 2018
3401
Safeanew said:
Yuri-Crusader said:
To much fighting or any kind of violence and ill behaviour towards my females , makes me anxious and very irritated. My cute lesbians shall love each other. It doesn't suit my taste very well if its too dark or too much drama

So innocent flirting, they should not love each other?
True love comes with conflict.


It depends how much conflicts ofc . If I consider it to be to much it makes me anxious and i dont like that. And conflicts is part of life absolutely . But when i watching my Japanese cartoons I can live without that even if its unrealistic =)


Apr 20, 2020 9:32 AM

Offline
Oct 2018
402
Safeanew said:
NO_U_ETC said:

Probably the ending of Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica. Which is maybe the best ending to an anime that I have ever seen. And not just the existential anxiety,

How would you describe the presentation of that scene? Did you notice a lot of details, or did the scene as a whole convey that?

It was all in the premise. Overall, I did not like the art, dopey looking moe design, or the action scenes of the show, and my first impressions were bad. Very bad. I didn't appreciate the brilliance in how abstract the witches were, until later. To make them so ethereal. A force that defies all logic and understanding of existence. This show is much much more than it appears on the surface. It broke every rule. To create such an incredible story/character development in only 12 episodes, is almost unheard of. By the end I was completely drawn in, and then mercilessly crushed.
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Apr 20, 2020 9:51 AM

Offline
Jan 2019
110
Whenever something embarrassing happens. I have to literally pause the episode for a few minutes to muster up the courage to continue watching.


animeanimeanime


Apr 20, 2020 9:54 AM
Offline
Jul 2018
570560
Sometimes when you want to see a couple that like each other trying to get together but it doesn't happen...
Apr 20, 2020 9:57 AM

Offline
Dec 2018
4138
When awful stuff has been going on through the entire series and the characters are about to reach the end destination. In Astra Lost in Space I was ready for their ship to be nuked as it was about to land back on their home planet.




Apr 20, 2020 9:57 AM
Offline
Mar 2019
208
When I know a character will do something. (I got exposed to mild spoilers) and see things escalate from once scene to another really increase my heart rate a lot.
Apr 20, 2020 11:21 AM

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
NO_U_ETC said:

It was all in the premise. Overall, I did not like the art, dopey looking moe design, or the action scenes of the show, and my first impressions were bad. Very bad. I didn't appreciate the brilliance in how abstract the witches were, until later. To make them so ethereal. A force that defies all logic and understanding of existence. This show is much much more than it appears on the surface. It broke every rule. To create such an incredible story/character development in only 12 episodes, is almost unheard of. By the end I was completely drawn in, and then mercilessly crushed.

What is the premise?
What is brilliant about the witches abstractness, in what way do they defy logic and understanding?
Apr 20, 2020 11:25 AM

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
Kata89 said:
Anytime there is drama which resembles that of my past.

How do the drama scenes remind you of the past? Is it the subject matter or the presentation?
Apr 20, 2020 11:25 AM

Offline
Nov 2008
10508
Death flags more than anything. I've lost sleep over it. I know I have problems. xD



Apr 20, 2020 11:30 AM

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
Sakeyano said:
Whenever something embarrassing happens. I have to literally pause the episode for a few minutes to muster up the courage to continue watching.

What do you find embarrassing in those scenes? For example do character reactions matter or can characters do embarrassing things alone?
Apr 20, 2020 11:36 AM

Offline
Jan 2019
110
Safeanew said:
Sakeyano said:
Whenever something embarrassing happens. I have to literally pause the episode for a few minutes to muster up the courage to continue watching.

What do you find embarrassing in those scenes? For example do character reactions matter or can characters do embarrassing things alone?


Character reactions are likely why I find those scenes so embarrassing to watch. Guess it taps into my own anxiety over others' perception of me haha


animeanimeanime


Apr 20, 2020 11:38 AM

Offline
Mar 2016
3611
awkward silence or when they do something embarrassing


just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Apr 20, 2020 11:39 AM

Offline
Oct 2018
402
Safeanew said:
NO_U_ETC said:

It was all in the premise. Overall, I did not like the art, dopey looking moe design, or the action scenes of the show, and my first impressions were bad. Very bad. I didn't appreciate the brilliance in how abstract the witches were, until later. To make them so ethereal. A force that defies all logic and understanding of existence. This show is much much more than it appears on the surface. It broke every rule. To create such an incredible story/character development in only 12 episodes, is almost unheard of. By the end I was completely drawn in, and then mercilessly crushed.

What is the premise?
What is brilliant about the witches abstractness, in what way do they defy logic and understanding?

████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Apr 20, 2020 11:42 AM

Offline
Jul 2015
258
Well anxiety is a big word in such a case which is why I had to give it quite some thought.

I'm the type of person who really enjoys immersing himself in any anime I'm watching, I sympathise and empathise, I try to understand what the characters go through and how I might act if I were in their place. It might sound funny to some, but that's exactly how I can find a hidden lesson in every show I watch.

Since most if not all anime have a happy ending, we rarely have to worry about the villain defeating the hero, however in some cases like Haikyuu and Shokugeki No Soma where winning isn't guaranteed, that was the first time I actually worried about the outcome of the season, not the plot twists throughout it.

On another hand, for those anime that don't follow that rule, it's most likely the flags that are raised, we could also refer to them as plot twists in this case. Whenever I'm 8 episodes in a 12-course anime, and it feels like the main is enjoying himself and everything is peaceful, that's when so-called "anxiety" hits, because something is bound to happen, the final stage needs to be set, basically shit's going to go down, so it's the how rather than the when.

P.S. I also get anxious whenever the main does something uncool or straight up awkward which really kills the vibe for me, but that was already stated before.
PantsuuGodApr 20, 2020 11:45 AM


"You shall fall in love with someone who doesn't love you.
For not loving someone who did"

Apr 20, 2020 11:43 AM

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
caprisan said:
awkward silence or when they do something embarrassing

Do you have examples of anime with a lot of awkward silence or just one very awkward silence?
How would you describe the scenes with awkward silence?
Apr 20, 2020 11:48 AM
Offline
Jul 2018
570560
That was by far, the most nerve-wracking scene I've watched in anime, but there are tons of nervous scenes in that show due to its plot of having small indefensive children against mysterious, and supernatural forces a lot bigger than themselves. Another scene in Neverland that was nerve-wracking was..


Anyway, to answer the question power imbalance against the MCs would be the main thing that gives me anxiety when watching a show. I can't think of many shows that gave me as much anxiety as Neverland. For the most part, anxiety isn't an emotion I experience when watching something. I guess DR executions are also good at that for the same reason, it's pretty much a grantee that the characters aren't going to survive it and the presentation does a great deal in helping that feeling. You can just hear it ramping up slowly kind of like gears in the music that plays during those scenes. Furthermore, the heavier shading and 3D CGI modeling that makes it feel so much more different from the rest of the game is also a big help.
removed-userApr 20, 2020 11:54 AM
Apr 20, 2020 12:00 PM
Magical Girl

Offline
Aug 2013
16
What gives me anxiety in anime is when I realize something awful is about to happen to a favorite character, and there is no "hero coming in at the last second."
Apr 20, 2020 12:01 PM

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
Peaceful_Critic said:

Anyway, to answer the question power imbalance against the MCs would be the main thing that gives me anxiety when watching a show. I can't think of many shows that gave me as much anxiety as Neverland. For the most part, anxiety isn't an emotion I experience when watching something. I guess DR executions are also good at that for the same reason, it's pretty much a grantee that the characters aren't going to survive it and the presentation does a great deal in helping that feeling. You can just hear it ramping up slowly kind of like gears in the music that plays during those scenes. Furthermore, the heavier shading and 3D CGI modeling that makes it feel so much more different from the rest of the game is also a big help.

Power imbalance is an interesting example, you also gave example of how that is portrayed in Neverland.
Do you feel similarily when it is not direct physical power difference, but rather manipulator type of power difference?

Do the exacutions give more anxiety than the murders in DR?
Apr 20, 2020 12:07 PM

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
TheGalaxysFire said:
What gives me anxiety in anime is when I realize something awful is about to happen to a favorite character, and there is no "hero coming in at the last second."

That is a really good example, the "hero coming in at the last second" is an important part of what is going on in such scenes.
It is about one's gut feeling, of how things should be, and when that is betrayed, that gives a violent response.
What makes you realize something bad is going to happen, how would you describe such scenes?
Apr 20, 2020 12:17 PM
Offline
Jul 2018
570560
Do you feel similarily when it is not direct physical power difference, but rather manipulator type of power difference?


Maybe, I can't think of any shows like that. The closest would be Death Note, but even then the two characters L and Light were pretty comparable in that regard. I know for a fact that if the power imbalance intelligence wise leaned towards the MCs like NGNL then it would have the opposite effect, so if it was the other way around I would imagine that the show would succeed in bringing out that feeling.

Do the executions give more anxiety than the murders in DR?

A lot more. In DR the murders just kind of happen randomly. The tension there isn't well-built up at all.
Apr 20, 2020 12:17 PM

Offline
Jul 2014
1151
PantsuuGod said:

I'm the type of person who really enjoys immersing himself in any anime I'm watching, I sympathise and empathise, I try to understand what the characters go through and how I might act if I were in their place. It might sound funny to some, but that's exactly how I can find a hidden lesson in every show I watch.

Do you notice difference in how characters talk? For example scenes where two characters are arguing, how would you describe such scenes if any come to mind?

On another hand, for those anime that don't follow that rule, it's most likely the flags that are raised, we could also refer to them as plot twists in this case. Whenever I'm 8 episodes in a 12-course anime, and it feels like the main is enjoying himself and everything is peaceful, that's when so-called "anxiety" hits, because something is bound to happen, the final stage needs to be set, basically shit's going to go down, so it's the how rather than the when.

How would you describe the presentation of such flags?
Apr 20, 2020 1:11 PM

Offline
Jul 2015
258
Safeanew said:
PantsuuGod said:

I'm the type of person who really enjoys immersing himself in any anime I'm watching, I sympathise and empathise, I try to understand what the characters go through and how I might act if I were in their place. It might sound funny to some, but that's exactly how I can find a hidden lesson in every show I watch.

Do you notice difference in how characters talk? For example scenes where two characters are arguing, how would you describe such scenes if any come to mind?

On another hand, for those anime that don't follow that rule, it's most likely the flags that are raised, we could also refer to them as plot twists in this case. Whenever I'm 8 episodes in a 12-course anime, and it feels like the main is enjoying himself and everything is peaceful, that's when so-called "anxiety" hits, because something is bound to happen, the final stage needs to be set, basically shit's going to go down, so it's the how rather than the when.

How would you describe the presentation of such flags?


Well first off, the good yet bad side of anime is that everything that you see is meant to be there since it was drawn and not filmed. There's no body language nor hidden messages in conversations unless the author wants them to be there, which is why as long as the director wants to give you hints beforehand, then you'll be able to somewhat predict the outcome.

You can find two types of arguments in an anime, you have the usual don't-get-along arguments of a tsundere girl let's say, which you can "feel" that she's not actually picking a fight and it's just part of her character.
However that same girl can actually get offended by one of those arguments, and that can be put in the spotlight by using sweat, a change in pupils, the emotional e-eh?, or the universal anime expression of an angry character which basically goes by dropping your head and your eyes being replaced by a shadow.

As for the flag part, it's necessary for them to be present, they direct the story, you need to have twists, suspense, action, drama, because at the end of the day you're watching a show for entertainment, and stagnancy is the worst enemy.

Based on the knowledge and experience I built up over the last couple of years watching anime, a 12-ep series has essentially 2 plot twists, one minor and one main (Also known as the finale). The former usually takes place in the first 6-7 episodes along with character introductions, backstories and everything needed for the foundation of the finale, which in most cases starts at the end of episode 8 (Which probably ends as a cliffhanger).
Beyond that point no new characters are introduced unless they're antagonists, and following that you have episode 9-10-11 which go downhill for the MC who finally turns the tables on episode 12 and achieves a happy ending.

P.S. Apologies for the really long reply, I just thought it was an interesting question so I kind of took it seriously~
PantsuuGodApr 20, 2020 1:15 PM


"You shall fall in love with someone who doesn't love you.
For not loving someone who did"

Apr 20, 2020 1:43 PM
Offline
Aug 2015
151
Whatever it is that was Watamote, pure anxiety
Apr 20, 2020 1:50 PM

Offline
Mar 2018
772
Oh man. As someone with an anxiety disorder....hoooo boy. Y'all remember Code Geass? I literally had multiple panic attacks watching that show. Another fantastic example is episode 2 of Babylon. Political tension and thrillers get me EVERY time, I absolutely adore it.

Other things that make me feel REAL human anxiety are shit like. The ending of Death Parade, episode 2 of Babylon, BUNCHA shit in Steins;Gate, like half of the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. I just get super anxious at a lot of series, but it's fun being able to feel stuff from series.
Apr 20, 2020 3:01 PM

Offline
Dec 2019
2064
When ever i think a character i like a lot is going to die <_<
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Are Subtitles getting more cringe?

Dragevard - Yesterday

32 by SuperAdventure »»
2 minutes ago

» How important is Bust Size for waifu?

Dragevard - Jan 25

38 by TsukuyomiREKT »»
11 minutes ago

» What is your favorite episode in all of anime?

Daddi4900 - Yesterday

46 by TsukuyomiREKT »»
30 minutes ago

» Any fellow anime/manga art book collectors here? ( 1 2 3 )

Fario-P - Feb 11, 2020

129 by Mercury-Lamp »»
36 minutes ago

» I'm going to regret asking this, but can anyone explain to me what's attractive about tomboy characters? ( 1 2 )

LostSpectre - Yesterday

58 by Ishitateso »»
39 minutes ago