Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 19, 2020 11:41 AM
Apr 2020
Bakarina is a total chick magnet. The female characters are clearly gay for her. Isn't this deserving of the Shoujo Ai tag? (even tho I don't agree that Yuri should be called Shoujo Ai but whatever). The cover shows this as a typical shoujo reverse harem anime which is kinda misleading, since not only guys have feelings for her.

Mod edit: Added a spoiler tag to the title.
DeadlyRavenMay 8, 2020 6:18 AM
Apr 19, 2020 5:32 PM

Aug 2015
Imo putting a shoujo ai tag would be much more misleading since there's no tag that show it also has straight ship too and Katarina herself doesn't think she might like girls too.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Apr 19, 2020 5:36 PM

Nov 2017
its all romance its all the same

plz @ me
Apr 19, 2020 8:36 PM

Mar 2018
I think it's the same reason why Maid Dragon isn't either: both are focused more on comedy than actual romance.
\

Apr 19, 2020 9:29 PM

May 2014
It's because it's more comedy focused than romanced focused, especially with the MC being super dense to anything related to love.

Plus the harem stuff doesn't have purely one type. There's both straight ships and gay ships with the MC. If there was a bisexual tag then it would be more accurate.
Apr 20, 2020 3:53 AM

Sep 2019
hainq said:
I think it's the same reason why Maid Dragon isn't either: both are focused more on comedy than actual romance.

so why yuru yuri is tagged as shoujo ai ?
Apr 20, 2020 4:35 AM

Sep 2009
Meira_Eve said:
Imo putting a shoujo ai tag would be much more misleading since there's no tag that show it also has straight ship too and Katarina herself doesn't think she might like girls too.

^That. Could have not said it better :)

We're all golden
Sunflwers
on the inside :>
Apr 20, 2020 4:37 AM
Apr 2014
Frankly, in this show Shoujo Ai is a detriment to the enjoyment of this show for new users.

One, it ruins the twists that it is a reverse bi-sexual harem, so basically SPOILERS.

Two, Shoujo Ai usually implies that there is romantic interest between two girls, not the one sided one that is in the show, as well as it also has the unfortunate implication of misleading people seeking for a true Shoujo Ai show. Frankly what this show needs is not Shoujo Ai tag, but a Bi-Sexual Love tag. That would be much more honest.
Apr 20, 2020 5:00 AM

Dec 2018
Because its neither a Shoujo Ai nor a Yuri . Its a bisexual harem .Shoujo Ai are more then less gl and Yuri are a term they use for portraying lesbians in Japanese media .This have males in it that are a part of the romance and therefor its not a Yuri or a Shoujo Ai

But then also all tags are not correct on MAL. Both Hina Logi: From Luck & Logic and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon have lesbian females in it but missing the correct tag

Yuri-CrusaderApr 20, 2020 5:13 AM
Apr 20, 2020 5:09 AM

Jul 2016
I mean all we've seen from Katarina and the girls so far is blushing at most.That is the farthest the show is willing to go in terms of yuri subtext.
Apr 20, 2020 12:33 PM
Apr 2020
BadChase said:
Frankly, in this show Shoujo Ai is a detriment to the enjoyment of this show for new users.

One, it ruins the twists that it is a reverse bi-sexual harem, so basically SPOILERS.

Two, Shoujo Ai usually implies that there is romantic interest between two girls, not the one sided one that is in the show, as well as it also has the unfortunate implication of misleading people seeking for a true Shoujo Ai show. Frankly what this show needs is not Shoujo Ai tag, but a Bi-Sexual Love tag. That would be much more honest.

But Katarina doesn't have feelings for the guys either, so their love is also one sided. Won't that also mislead the people looking for real romance? And I don't think that having a bisexual tag would be any better, since that would imply that any of the characters are bisexual which none of them are. For me actually I don't care if the love was one-sided or not lesbians are always welcome in my book. If I didn't watch the third trailer by coincidence I probably wouldn't have discovered this gem because the cover and tags would automatically repel me, and therefore, the plot twist would be meaningless anyway. And for people saying it's all romance, we know that MAL only tags straight couples as romance, if there is love involving two girls it will tag it as Shoujo Ai, even if it was one sided, like Yuru Yuri. And as for the people saying that it's focused more on comedy, it's still tagged as romance and implies that this show will have straight romance. In my opinion, Removing the romance tag or tagging it as Shoujo Ai is better.
Apr 26, 2020 12:02 AM

Jun 2008
Nothing should have the Shoujo Ai tag.
Apr 26, 2020 6:31 PM

Oct 2015
The same reason why it doesn't have a harem tag.

There are small hints of shoujo ai but they're immediately negated by the fact that it's more or less one sided infatuation because:

1. Catarina is unaware of said person's feelings.
2. She doesn't show much romantic interest in any of the other characters.
3. Catarina is already engaged to the MALE prince. (Gerald)
4. There are more male romantic interests than there is female ones as of currently.
5. The shoujo ai themes are only hints.

So yeah would kinda just be a misleading tag if anything.
May 5, 2020 6:15 PM

Mar 2014
This is not a shoujo-ai/yuri. Also, shoujo-ai is a artificial theme make by westerners, in Japan is all yuri.

Katarina i a dense harem lead.

It needs a new, bisexxual harem tag (but even then, the protag is not one, just her harem is composed as such).
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
May 8, 2020 7:08 AM

May 2009
It should be tagged with harem and shoujo since it's LN for women.
May 9, 2020 1:13 PM

Apr 2012
Because this LN was never positioned as yuri and its yuri-ish element is essentially just part of its fanservice and parody of shoujo over-the-top harems. This is practically a repetition of the situation with Eupho, with the only difference being that Eupho's yuri was basically an addition from KyoAni, while the Otome Game really has a yuri element.

This is especially noticeable in the new LN volumes, when Katarina finally finds her true love interest.

Fabris said:
This is not a shoujo-ai/yuri. Also, shoujo-ai is a artificial theme make by westerners, in Japan is all yuri.

Katarina i a dense harem lead.

It needs a new, bisexxual harem tag (but even then, the protag is not one, just her harem is composed as such).

Her bisexuality is only a fendom fanon hope for her ship with Maria. In reality, this is nothing more than an authorial loophole for maintaining the weight of the female part of her harem.

Kawwwa said:
Meira_Eve said:

^That. Could have not said it better :)

Oh, this is a big problem for the western community. If you cooperate with any anime resources, then you will constantly meet people who believe that even one gay character or baiting is a good reason for such a tag.
RobertBobertMay 9, 2020 1:16 PM
May 13, 2020 1:52 PM

Apr 2008
It will never be requited, it isn't shoujo ai.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

163 by bt7244 »»
Apr 8, 12:12 PM

Poll: » Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

135 by tunaworks »»
Mar 27, 2:48 AM

Poll: » Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2020

192 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 3, 8:16 AM

Poll: » Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2020

124 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 3, 3:57 AM

Poll: » Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 30, 2020

129 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 3, 3:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.