Forum Settings
Forums

Do you wear the anime merchandise you bought in public?

New
Apr 12, 2020 7:16 PM
May 2018
all of us being huge anime fans at one point of time must have been been fascinated a an anime that led us to buy its merchandise. For eg I bought the AOT hoodies with the scout regiment symbol and the Shanringan eye lenses from Naruto. But the problem is that I cant wear them in public as it attracts a lot of attention and sometimes it might feel weird to girls. What is your opinion on this issue. Your opinion might help me change my mind and make me start wearing those merches. Also you can share what all merch have you bought. Thank you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 12, 2020 7:23 PM

Jun 2017
you know, i don't think i've ever actually bought anything wear-able in tems of merchandise, but more often than not that's only because I've never really found anything in my taste worth buying.

If I can't see myself wearing it public, I personally wouldn't buy it in the first place. goes with just about anything related to this hobby.

the closest thing i've worn in public - and this is closer to cosplay - is this red Haruhi armband, which i've only worn on
1) Halloween
2) to AX.

Apr 12, 2020 7:24 PM
May 2018
I used to wear some funny Pikachu hoodie, and now I wonder what the fuck was wrong with me.
Apr 12, 2020 7:29 PM

Sep 2011
I have an ita bag and I use it as my purse. I think it's different because i'm a female and it's just seen as a cute accessory. the ita bag is of nozomi from love live and has lights and shit so im sure i get a reasonable pass from non-weebs
Apr 12, 2020 7:47 PM

Jul 2012
I think I've grown out of the weeb culture so now the only things on my bags are just cute pins like this but they aren't related to anime or anything, just my aesthetic.
Apr 12, 2020 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
Yep. I am incapable of hiding my power level, ever. That said I do prefer subtle and stylish over tacky for everything except my itabag.
Apr 12, 2020 7:53 PM

Feb 2018
i own a totoro hoodie and the karasuno jacket and i wear them all the time actually (but of course there are also a few t-shirts i never wear because past me thought "this is amazing! i gotta have it!" and in reality wasn't really amazing at all so i only wear those when i'm depressed and can't bother to choose what i'm wearing for the day)

i also have a few pins on my bags but it's not something most people notice unless they're really paying attention to them so i don't think that counts.
Apr 12, 2020 7:54 PM

Feb 2010
i only buy the manga's light novels and animes so no i don't
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 12, 2020 7:56 PM

Oct 2017
I'm poor :c... But yes, I will buy original merchandise. Let's support the industry!
Apr 12, 2020 7:56 PM

Jul 2019
Yes. I wear my Bunny Girl Senpai, Hitori Bocchi, Cat Girl Research, and Evangelion t-shirts in public. Like sometimes there is shame but there's nothing wrong with it
Apr 12, 2020 7:58 PM

Jan 2019
Personally it kind of depends on who might see me. I typically buy t-shirts with characters from an anime I really enjoy; I’m not that picky as long as it’s an anime I enjoy I’ll get one with the cast and/or my favorite character/s. I don’t get anything lewd so no ahegao faces, hentai, boobs, etc. I have a shirt with Kaori Miyazono from Your Lie in April, one with Zero Two and another with Ichigo from Darling in the Franxx, and a bunch with various characters from SAO.

I love wearing my merch at anime conventions; that’s when I really like showing it off. But I wear my shirts around my home (I live with my parents), when I go see friends, or if I go out to see a movie or something. Would I wear them to my church singles group? Maybe, depends on the character on the shirt. On a first date? Probably not. Depends on the girl. As long as it’s not lewd it shouldn’t make people feel uncomfortable, in fact when I do go out wearing my anime shirts I usually get a compliment from some random person who passes by. Also, don’t worry about girls thinking it’s weird or not; depends on what kind of girls you’re into but if your in a relationship with a girl who’s also into anime maybe you could both where your anime merch together. I recently had a guy wearing a Sailor Moon shirt pass by me while I was at work. I made sure to compliment him. I don’t see many people with anime merch so when I do I try to go out of my way to acknowledge/compliment them.

I wouldn’t worry about it, just be yourself don’t wear what you want. Don’t be afraid to show off the anime you are passionate about and you never know - you just might end up meeting someone else who’s as passionate about your favorite anime as you are! :) I hope this helps.
Apr 12, 2020 8:07 PM

Apr 2018
Well, the only anime merchandise I've ever bought in my life are light novels (Monogatari), so I can''t really wear those
I do read them in public though
Apr 12, 2020 8:10 PM
Jan 2012
I don't have anything like that, but if I did it'd depend on the merchandise itself. Some shirts and stuff can look great with normal wear if you coordinate properly.

Then you have shit like ahegao hoodies, that look fuckin awful. Why couldn't the people who like that shit come up with something more fashionable? Shit doesn't look good with western comics why would it look good with that.

Edit: Oh actually, I bought a TTGL necklace (the drill) and I did wear it in public when I just became an adult, if that counts.
Apr 12, 2020 8:16 PM

Apr 2019
I never bought a single anime merchandise. Feels like a waste of money to me.
Apr 12, 2020 8:27 PM
Nov 2019
If a certain someone would allow me to buy it then i would wear it everwhere
What can I say, I'm just that stupid.
Apr 12, 2020 8:35 PM

May 2019
Yeah i got a JoJo t-shirt, i was about to buy an ahegao shirt too but it was out of stock, next time i'll grab it for sure, and i will walk on the streets with it, proudfully.

Apr 12, 2020 8:50 PM

Aug 2013
I have few t-shirts. Like "El psy Kongroo" with big Nixie tube meter at back or one with chibi Mirai (from Culture Japan).
T-shirts like t-shirts, I don't see any reason for making any big deal of it.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 12, 2020 8:52 PM

Sep 2018
I bought like 6 anime TV shirts and I wear them constantly. Plus for my senior year of highschool. I bought a Dragon Ball Super Backpack that I used for the Whole year
Apr 12, 2020 8:54 PM

Dec 2018
Of course not! I don’t want to be showing my degeneracy off to the world.
Apr 12, 2020 8:56 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, the world has been graced by my Hisoka t-shirt. I'm a woman myself so I dont care about weirding out girls.

Apr 2016
Yes. I make sure the anime merch I buy is wearable in public. I have a few Naruto T-shirts with minamilist designs on them and a few shirts with logos or quotes on them.

Oct 2018
I would if I owned any. Anime merchandise, is usually very expensive. Anyone know where to get some snazzy anime duds on the cheap?
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Apr 12, 2020 9:03 PM

Dec 2019
Tbh I dont have that much clothing merch but I do own a lot of One Piece figure charms and I always put one or two on my phone whenever I went out. Dont be embarrassed to wear what YOU LIKE in public. & since im kinda broke I only own some merch, a few figures and posters for now heh
Apr 12, 2020 9:04 PM
Mar 2020
If I'm buying merch, I make sure that it doesn't stand out too much and also is appealing to my fashion tastes.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a shirt with like a ahegao face on it or something right?

For example, a hoodie with Kakashi's Anbu logo like in my profile pic would not draw any unneeded attention, while still representing my favorite show.

Apr 12, 2020 9:06 PM

May 2016
Only weeb shit I buy is titty figures and that shit stays in my room. No chance in hell am I broadcasting to the world around me i'm a virgin weeb loser in a shirt.
Apr 12, 2020 9:53 PM

Mar 2020
No, the only weeb clothing I own is an NGNL shirt that I immediately regretted buying (didn't even like the series that much) and I would rather go on a spacewalk without a spacesuit than go anywhere in public wearing it.
Apr 12, 2020 10:04 PM

Oct 2018
So far my plan has been to play it safe with anime merchandise I have bought MANY laptop stickers spanning across my favorite series as well as the UA jacket from Boku no Hero Academia it doubles as a colorful looking sports jacket and a cool reference to any fellow fans of the medium. The few times I have wore it outside of the house I have had a few short conversations about it which has been nice.
Apr 12, 2020 10:05 PM

Oct 2019
I just have 1 wearable item, a T-shirt. I do use it. It's a MHA shirt and I really don't care what people think.
Apr 12, 2020 10:06 PM

Mar 2018
Yep yep! For clothing, I style it up and make it all cute :D! I have a bunch of fun weeb shirts that I like wearing out (Thanks Uniqlo!!), and my mobile telephone has four little charms hanging off of it (Fate/Zero Bluebeard, Ib (from Ib), Kumamon, and Porter from Animal Crossing), as well as my phone having a Tae Takemi sticker on the back.

There were a good few years in high school where I wouldn't wear any weeb shit, so I didn't get judged. Now I'm just like. Fuck it!!!! And it's fun :)
Apr 12, 2020 10:21 PM

Jul 2013
I honestly don't care what people think wear whatever you want and there are more embarrassing things one could wear than anime merch
I only have anime pins I put on one of my bags that I sometimes take with me to college and an anime character mascot charm hanging on my phone I don't have it all the time but I do put it on my phone more times than not

I've seen many people express themselves or show off things they like ( for example putting a photo behind phone case of a character or an idol they like or stickers and things like that ) and it's actually nice to see

Also there are plenty of brands that made collab collection with an anime like coach x naruto so its not weird locals buy these blindly not even knowing what an anime is
and uniqlo x shonen jump comes to mind as well
i've seen people wearing wrong translated japanese on shirts and hoodies and anime characters to look "cool" or a poorly printed saitama's famous blank face shirt bec that's the only anime they have seen in my opinion that is what makes me :/
and as a girl I'm telling you that its fine so wear whatever you want with confidence and who knows it might one day start a conversation with a fellow closeted anime stranger
hexgirlsApr 12, 2020 10:24 PM
Apr 12, 2020 10:29 PM

Oct 2019
I have a sailor moon t-shirt which I wear out on occasion. I find it cool and I get compliments on it by girls so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 12, 2020 10:35 PM
Nov 2017
I only buy things that I know I'll wear, and will feel comfortable wearing in public. so, I won't buy stuff for anime like food wars, but I'll buy stuff from my MHA. You never know who else actually likes it.

I was on vacation in Ohio last summer, and brought my Yuri!! on Ice shirt I had received as a gift. I was wearing it over my swimsuit and I had around 3 -4 people recognize it.
Apr 12, 2020 10:52 PM
May 2018
RedVelvet930 said:
Personally it kind of depends on who might see me. I typically buy t-shirts with characters from an anime I really enjoy; I’m not that picky as long as it’s an anime I enjoy I’ll get one with the cast and/or my favorite character/s. I don’t get anything lewd so no ahegao faces, hentai, boobs, etc. I have a shirt with Kaori Miyazono from Your Lie in April, one with Zero Two and another with Ichigo from Darling in the Franxx, and a bunch with various characters from SAO.

I love wearing my merch at anime conventions; that’s when I really like showing it off. But I wear my shirts around my home (I live with my parents), when I go see friends, or if I go out to see a movie or something. Would I wear them to my church singles group? Maybe, depends on the character on the shirt. On a first date? Probably not. Depends on the girl. As long as it’s not lewd it shouldn’t make people feel uncomfortable, in fact when I do go out wearing my anime shirts I usually get a compliment from some random person who passes by. Also, don’t worry about girls thinking it’s weird or not; depends on what kind of girls you’re into but if your in a relationship with a girl who’s also into anime maybe you could both where your anime merch together. I recently had a guy wearing a Sailor Moon shirt pass by me while I was at work. I made sure to compliment him. I don’t see many people with anime merch so when I do I try to go out of my way to acknowledge/compliment them.

I wouldn’t worry about it, just be yourself don’t wear what you want. Don’t be afraid to show off the anime you are passionate about and you never know - you just might end up meeting someone else who’s as passionate about your favorite anime as you are! :) I hope this helps.
Bro I got your point, but I bought a sharingan contact lenses and kaneki kens ghoul mask. What do u think are they wearable. Tokyo ghoul mask I can still wear while riding my bike as it protects me from sun and CORONA, but I gotta remove it as soon as I get off my vehicle. So if you were in my boots what would you have done
Apr 12, 2020 10:56 PM
May 2018
NO_U_ETC said:
I would if I owned any. Anime merchandise, is usually very expensive. Anyone know where to get some snazzy anime duds on the cheap?
aliexpress, I bought my merches from this site
Apr 12, 2020 11:37 PM

Jul 2019
Apr 13, 2020 12:26 AM
Jul 2018
I have tons of anime t-shirts (many thanks to Uniqlo for all the collabs they make) and I wear them from time to time. Looks really cute and if combined with a skirt - extra damn cute.
Apr 13, 2020 2:43 AM

Dec 2014
I personally don't have any wearable anime merch, but my other half has a one punch man tee, one piece jacket with a silhouette of Ace on the back, a ace backpack (one piece) he wears the jacket often and wherever we go out for a picnic etc then the back pack will go with us also. We have been on the tube and on a few occasions someone has asked is that ace from one piece haha.
Apr 13, 2020 2:46 AM

Jan 2010
Yes.

I put my bakugou and law keychains on my bag and I also wear my anime t-shirts and jackets casually.

I don't like design that put character face on it, instead, I prefer simple design that can pass as normal clothing.
Some t-shirt that I wear:

Apr 13, 2020 2:46 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
I wear manga. It's really cold during winter, other than that it's fine.

Apr 13, 2020 7:40 PM

Jan 2019
JASHINRYUU said:
RedVelvet930 said:

Bro I got your point, but I bought a sharingan contact lenses and kaneki kens ghoul mask. What do u think are they wearable. Tokyo ghoul mask I can still wear while riding my bike as it protects me from sun and CORONA, but I gotta remove it as soon as I get off my vehicle. So if you were in my boots what would you have done

Ah, I got you bro. I searched up those things because I’m pretty unfamiliar with Tokyo Ghoul and, yeah, I could see those being a little startling. Again, nobody’s stopping you but I probably would be hesitant to where them in public unless I was at a convention or something similar.
Apr 13, 2020 8:26 PM

May 2015
I do wear anime merch but I try to keep it at a minimum. If it's an anime shirt, I wear it like once every other week because wearing an anime shirt can pollute your fashion sense at times. For some odd reason, my anime shirts make me look 50 pounds heavier so there's that. I do wear anime pajamas though and I have no problem with that.
However, if it's a keychain or something small, I show it off every chance I get because most people usually don't see them and keychains are super adorable.
Apr 13, 2020 10:29 PM

May 2019
minichou said:
because wearing an anime shirt can pollute your fashion sense at times.

Uhmmmmm, lmfao, wtf does that mean???

Apr 14, 2020 2:36 AM

Oct 2017
Honestly I don't really care about what others think when I wear my anime shirts outside. I mean it's just a shirt.
Apr 14, 2020 4:46 AM

May 2009
I don't have shirts to wear but I don't mind keychains showing.

That said they're kinda small. Compare a shirt.

But I will compliment random strangers if I like their shirts.

FYI if you want to make other people feel more accepted about showing off their fandom merch, that's something you can do.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 14, 2020 4:47 AM

Jun 2015
Hell yeah I do. I go around with my Kanade Tachibana wearing cat attire shirt I bought 9 years ago because I don't give a fuck.

💖 𝐼'𝓂 𝒽𝒶𝓎𝒹𝑒𝓃❣ 💖

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ 💝 𝒯𝓌𝒾𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 💝 𝒴𝑜𝓊𝒯𝓊𝒷𝑒 💝 ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆
💝 𝑀𝓎𝐹𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒞𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 💝
Apr 14, 2020 7:31 AM

Mar 2015
Well yeah, what's the point of buying merch if you're not gonna wear it.

Psajdak said:
I used to wear some funny Pikachu hoodie, and now I wonder what the fuck was wrong with me.

I went to watch Detective Pikachu wearing a Pikachu hoodie lmao and I somehow still got one upped by a girl in full Pikachu attire.
Apr 14, 2020 7:35 AM

Oct 2018
yes...but not popular anime. I always wear something that not really attract attention.
Apr 14, 2020 7:46 AM

May 2019
I don't have too much anime clothes, pretty just the Yu Yu Hakusho shirts and a few of the Gundam ones from Uniqlo, which I wear whenever I feel like. One of the Gundam shirts I own is the Z'Gok pocket tee, which is subtle enough that I can wear it to work, although no one's recognized it. Aside from those, I have a Zaku pin on my backpack as well as keychains of an assault rifle from Halo, Izumi's Aestivalis from Martian Successor Nadesico, and the Gundam Ez-8 from 08th MS Team. I have a Decepticon snapback too (if that even counts as anime merch since Transformers is a kinda grey area), but I haven't worn it or really any of my old snapbacks in years.
Apr 14, 2020 8:04 AM

Jul 2017
yes i do
i am proud of the things i buy
anime related or not
i enjoy wearing them
they reflect my taste in anime as well
i think everyone should be free to wear whatever they want
Apr 14, 2020 8:59 AM

Mar 2018
Hell yea, I think I've gotten more compliments from random people about my sailor moon shirt than any of my other clothes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

84 by TitanOfPlasma »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 9 hours ago

12 by traed »»
9 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

67 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
14 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

46 by TitanOfPlasma »»
20 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

38 by Absurdo_N »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.