Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2020 9:43 PM

Dec 2018
Thank you very much. This is a shitty thread and I regret making it
Natsu_dripneelApr 8, 2020 1:28 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 7, 2020 9:53 PM
Apr 7, 2020 10:42 PM

Oct 2019
MHA deku or bakugou for the new fans/14 year old girls
Demon Slayer for the 15-20 year olds who just started anime
Haikyuu-Hinata for the "uwu" girls

As person above me said, random loli/Suzumiya Haruhi for low score people.
or, random loli for the 14 year old shy girls on mal.

Apr 7, 2020 10:51 PM

Dec 2018
People with Edward Elric pfp. I’m not trying to generalise but I’ve seen a lot of users that have a holier than thou attitude. A good chunk also seem to live and die by the MAL rankings. I’d assume it’s because it’s one of the most popular anime so it has a large toxic minority or due to it being number 1 on the rankings.
Apr 7, 2020 10:53 PM

Aug 2018
i find the ecchi guys to be the most obnoxious with their choice of avatar/signatures. the page is always on one of their posts when a family member looks at my computer screen every damn time

the edgelords and the elitist don't bother me so much
Apr 8, 2020 12:02 AM
Jul 2018
epidemia78 said:
i find the ecchi guys to be the most obnoxious with their choice of avatar/signatures. the page is always on one of their posts when a family member looks at my computer screen every damn time

Lol tell me about it. Need to scroll through them quickly when in public (pre corona of course).
Apr 8, 2020 12:10 AM

Feb 2018
It may or may not be an old anime pfp, because old anime are the only good anime according to them.

Apr 8, 2020 12:10 AM

Jul 2017
The classic uninterested Hachiman pic always has me preparing for the worst. Reinhard pics too, especially if he's drinking tea lol

Apr 8, 2020 12:21 AM

Mar 2020
BoshJ said:
Definitely a Legend of the Galactic Heroes pfp or any old anime for that matter. They are the elitists with a 3.5 mean score who think they have better taste than everyone who enjoys seasonal anime and moe anime.

...or they just like old anime? Believe it or not, not all anime fans are interested in seasonals.
Apr 8, 2020 1:26 AM

Jan 2010
operationvalkyri said:
epidemia78 said:

Lol tell me about it. Need to scroll through them quickly when in public (pre corona of course).

True to that. To the point that I wished MAL have stricter signature rule lmao. I have half a mind to put pic that make most ppl uncomfortable for a bit of revenge lol.
Apr 8, 2020 1:28 AM

Apr 2015
CrimsonMidnight said:
operationvalkyri said:

True to that. To the point that I wished MAL have stricter signature rule lmao. I have half a mind to put pic that make most ppl uncomfortable for a bit of revenge lol.

It already has strict rules, though. Half the ecchi pfp's I've seen aren't even bad.
TropischApr 8, 2020 1:37 AM
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 8, 2020 1:35 AM
Jul 2018
Anime userpics don't bother me at all. I only find half-naked rl pics to be obnoxious af. MAL needs to ban those, because I feel violated
Apr 8, 2020 1:37 AM

Apr 2015
ysphyr said:
Anime userpics don't bother me at all. I only find half-naked rl pics to be obnoxious af. MAL needs to ban those, because I feel violated

Especially those K-Pop stan profiles. Lmao.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 8, 2020 1:41 AM

Jan 2020
People with Monster profil pic, all idiots
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Apr 8, 2020 2:39 AM

Jan 2010
Tropisch said:
CrimsonMidnight said:

It already has strict rules, though. Half the ecchi pfp's I've seen aren't even bad.

Tbh I don't really mind pfp, I rarely go to ppl's profile and I think others too. But for forum signature and avatar, stricter rule, as in, a complete ban for anything even the slightest bit ecchi, including pics of boobs, half naked men/women, questionable/lewd poses/pics/gifs, etc XD
Apr 8, 2020 2:51 AM
May 2019
I lost count how many Reinhard/LOTGH trolls have I seen on MAL.
Anyone with a smug avatar bonus points if they are drinking tea.

ysphyr said:

Yeah I saw one yesterday in CD disgusting.
Apr 8, 2020 2:53 AM
Jul 2018
Xstasy said:
ysphyr said:

Yeah I saw one yesterday in CD disgusting.

I know exactly who you're talking about and I was talking about them too. I'm scarred for life now
Apr 8, 2020 2:55 AM

Jun 2016
I never liked people with Edward or Johan pfp. They are manchildrens
Apr 8, 2020 2:56 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
LOGH dp peeps 100% lmao. A few are alright but you know it's probs not gonna be a fun discussion if they get involved
Apr 8, 2020 2:59 AM

Mar 2015
I can't believe you didn't mention Johan. He's popular with the big brain elitists as well.

ysphyr said:

Those just scream 'i have sex guys look at me'
Apr 8, 2020 3:00 AM

Aug 2019
Hachiman is a great character, fuck all of you.
Apr 8, 2020 3:02 AM
Jul 2018
For the most part, I don't judge someone's personality based profile picture featuring a certain anime character or whatever.

But I have to say I guess:
Ecchi lovers have their ecchi
Moe lovers have their moe moe kyun
Elitists have a very old anime that no one in this day and age gives a shit about (like LotGH according to what everyone else says here)
Normie boys have their battle shonen
Girls have pictures of Sebastian, Victor, Kaneki or Levi
And I fall in the category of meme lovers
Apr 8, 2020 3:03 AM

Jun 2015
Don't generalize like that. Everyone has their own subjective reasons for choosing their avatar. I've met both nice people and elitists with 8man profile pics. The moment you immediately dismiss someone just because of their profile pic and mean score, you're the closed-minded one. Give it a profile check or conversation before judging, at least.

Also, why wouldn't people be able to have ecchi, as long as it's within community guidelines? For a lot of people, sexuality is a big part of their personality and demonizing that is kinda shitty.
Apr 8, 2020 3:15 AM

Dec 2016
People with a Johan pfp bore me to deathhhhh, with the exception of … Johan, lol
Apr 8, 2020 3:22 AM

Apr 2019
people with okabe or kurisu (from Steins;Gate) as pfp
Apr 8, 2020 3:24 AM
Jul 2018
Ecchi stuff that is not even sexy but just bobs or ass holding in the camera, or one of these deformed orgasm faces etc. It's like their whoke profile is made of this.

I don't care tho and I don't care for the LogH types with a mean score of 3 (both, not just the profile picture). If they wanna torture themselves, hey go on lol

Hachiman tho. That's for edgelords or as a meme. At this point it's pretty much a meme to relate to Hachiman this much with "omg he's like me, I also think being mindlessly cyical makes me more interesting!"
removed-userApr 8, 2020 3:30 AM
Apr 8, 2020 3:27 AM

Jul 2019
BoshJ said:
BladeVengeance said:

...or they just like old anime? Believe it or not, not all anime fans are interested in seasonals.

We’re talking about the elitists here, it’s fine if you don’t seasonals, but it’s those types of people that tend to say “anime was so much better in the 2000s!”

Why do you think that someone who likes LOGH is an elitist? It's like saying that everyone who likes moe has a trash taste. Most people enjoy variety of different geners without focusing on just one.
Apr 8, 2020 3:30 AM

Jul 2016
Tropisch said:
ysphyr said:

Especially those K-Pop stan profiles. Lmao.

And anybody with a celebrity as their pic for that matter.Looks really out of place on an anime website.
Apr 8, 2020 3:37 AM

Mar 2015
look at those judgmental prick try to call other "obnoxious". lack of self awareness never stop to amuse me.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 8, 2020 4:18 AM

Apr 2015
The most obnoxious person profile picture is yours. yes, YOURS!

Screw you, person reading this.
Apr 8, 2020 4:33 AM
Jul 2018
I don't really care a lot about that, if there is anything to get from it, maybe that a person clearly doesn't share my taste ? Even that could be wrong if they put it for reasons other than presenting their favorites.

( I still don't know who Hachiman is and I am not interested enough to google that character lol but I see him being mentioned aaaaall the freaking time, and I wouldn't even recognize that one XP )
Apr 8, 2020 4:35 AM

Jun 2016
I find my picture to be the worst
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 8, 2020 4:35 AM
Mar 2018
People with Yuno Gasai as profile picture
Apr 8, 2020 4:39 AM
Funny Lesbian

Sep 2018
Most of the people I've met who had Lain Iwakura pfps were pretty pretentious.

That was actually the only reason I started watching Lain at the beginning, I wanted to see if she is actually as arrogant as those people.
you got the whole squad laughing

[/URL]
Apr 8, 2020 4:56 AM

May 2018
So many prejudice and intolerance for other people's taste here...

I am proud of you guys!

Will post my prejudice here than.
When I see avatar with character from Naruto, Dragon Ball, Pokemon or similar I think to myself "Wow, someone couldn't move beyond his/her first anime and to this day searches for the same stuff.".
alshuApr 8, 2020 5:03 AM
Apr 8, 2020 5:02 AM

Nov 2011
Anyone who uses real people as their avatar.

Apr 8, 2020 5:03 AM

Nov 2019
The ones with hot guys/bishounen as pfp, they always make me dubious about my sexuality as if i didn't have enough problems to care about.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Apr 8, 2020 5:06 AM

Dec 2015
People really do have to much of free time, if you have the time to run around and hating on what x amount people have for profile picture, as most people are doing right now.

Apr 8, 2020 5:47 AM
Jul 2018
ASaid said:
LogtH, Mushishi, Aria and the like, even moe fans with K-on pics can be elitist. Or maybe some ancient real life philosopher lmao. Having a black and white pic usually helps.

I'm never sure who is serious about it and who memes.
Anyway, many philosophers were in reality awful people. I always ask myself, if they know that or are with them. They just knew how they sound pretentious.
Apr 8, 2020 5:56 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Hachiman and Lain.

Shouldn't get into the habit of judging/dismissing people due to their PFP - even a Hachiman avatar could be a good person, and it's preferable to not assume negative until proven otherwise - but when I feel like being a dickhead, those two are what comes to mind.

They're both like herds - the 8man avatars being cringy 15 year olds who think they understand how the world works better than anybody because "everyone is an asshole" and blame society for everything. It's annoying and whiny.

Lain avatars are a bit more complicated, and at the same, significantly less so. I don't take behavior issues on an individual level very much. They rarely do anything cringy or harmful by themselves. But they're a fucking gestalt consciousness, I swear. There's always going to be a couple of them running around at some point, and they *will* have the exact same opinion on pretty much everything as their fellow Lain avatar cohorts and use the one of the three acceptable pictures for a Lain PFP. It is strange.

Special mention to Aria avatars. They're rare, but I have noticed a tendency to just be cringy as shit. I feel like there's a pronounced tendency to really want to be seen a certain way with that fandom and laying it on *way* too thick, in a way that basically comes off as being a step short of getting on their hands and knees and, with tears in their eyes, pleading "PLEASE FIND ME INTERESTING." Same to an even rarer with Yokohama Shopping Log. There's a couple of individual profiles I like to point at for this example if I bring it up on Discord or somewhere, but I'm 'fraid of getting banned here.

Kaiser-chan said:
Anyone who uses real people as their avatar.

This. God, this.

I didn't even count it, but god it's so fucking true. They're worse than anything I've said above.

It doesn't even matter who the real person is, if it's a philosopher or if it's some KPOP idol or whatever. The obnoxiousness can just be overwhelming. Super, pointlessly contrarian tendencies mixed with a nice degree of pretentiousness, toxicity, or just straight up both if they're feeling adventurous. If they're an academic, they're the type of academic to do the legendary Kant mic drop. Because they've read Kant. Have you read Kant? Then you clearly don't understand and aren't worth talking to. I've had the Kant mic drop happen to me with three different (presumably) 18 or 19 year old continental philosophy majors.

If they're not an academic, they can just be *overwhelmingly* toxic in the most tantrum-y, idiotic and pathetic ways. It's that simple. I'd love to point to specific people here because that could paint the picture better, but, well, it is how it is.

There's that one guy who pops up sometimes, Heldengeist. He has something resembling a real-person avatar, but I like him. I don't think I've ever seen anybody else with a real-person avatar that I didn't dislike.
ManabanApr 8, 2020 6:13 AM

Apr 8, 2020 6:06 AM

Oct 2018
Theo1899 said:
I find my picture to be the worst

Honestly the best profile picture I’ve seen on this site. Kudos to you

Apr 8, 2020 6:13 AM

Sep 2014
Evangelion pfp posted by a 15/16 years old usually are the type of person in their existential crisis.

There is also a character from HxH doing an angry face as a pfp, most commonly angry kirua. This one really want to start a fight.
Apr 8, 2020 6:20 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
ShadowMonkey said:
Also, why wouldn't people be able to have ecchi, as long as it's within community guidelines? For a lot of people, sexuality is a big part of their personality and demonizing that is kinda shitty.

The funny part is that if you point out the tools people can use to not see this kind of stuff, like blocking the specific user or going in work mode in public, they won't use them most of the time and continue to complain in spite of that.

The rules are already pretty strict, to the point where stuff like @Maneki-Mew complains about is pretty much the only stuff that's within the rules. I don't like using ecchi stuff in my signature or on my about me personally, but I'm pretty intimately familiar with the forum set rules given I used them as a form of advertising for my club with the whole custom-tailored club signatures thing H&E did in my term. I also, obviously, fully support people being able to do so. Lewdness is a big part of some people's online lives and personas, and it's better and easier to be able to express that in a place that's involved with that to the extent that anime is than elsewhere. We shouldn't get cornered off and have our stuff taken away to please people who already *have* tools to not see this stuff that they often just refuse to make use of, as well as our own strict rules we have to follow.

You can't even have *liquids.* Not just liquids made to look like another, less SFW liquid, just a blanket ban on all *liquids.*
ManabanApr 8, 2020 6:24 AM

Apr 8, 2020 6:30 AM
Jul 2018
Manaban said:
ShadowMonkey said:

The funny part is that if you point out the tools people can use to not see this kind of stuff, like blocking the specific user or going in work mode in public, they won't use them most of the time and continue to complain in spite of that.

The rules are already pretty strict, to the point where stuff like @Maneki-Mew complains about is pretty much the only stuff that's within the rules. I don't like using ecchi stuff in my signature or on my about me personally, but I'm pretty intimately familiar with the forum set rules given I used them as a form of advertising for my club with the whole custom-tailored club signatures thing H&E did in my term. I also, obviously, fully support people being able to do so. Lewdness is a big part of some people's online lives and personas, and it's better and easier to be able to express that in a place that's involved with that to the extent that anime is than elsewhere. We shouldn't get cornered off and have our stuff taken away to please people who already *have* tools to not see this stuff that they often just refuse to make use of, as well as our own strict rules we have to follow.

You can't even have *liquids.* Not just liquids made to look like another, less SFW liquid, just a blanket ban on all *liquids.*

I didn't complain that they are allowed to, didn't I? I just think a lot of ecchi (or ecchi pictures) is tasteless and kind of juvenile, but they don't have to.
That doesn't mean you have to remove it, and I'm not too lazy and not petty enough to seriously complain that they should change rules or anything lol
Apr 8, 2020 6:32 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Maneki-Mew said:

I didn't complain that they are allowed to, didn't I? I just think a lot of ecchi (or ecchi pictures) is tasteless and kind of juvenile, but they don't have to.
That doesn't mean you have to remove it, and I'm not too lazy and not petty enough to seriously complain that they should change rules or anything lol

You didn't, and nowhere did I accuse you of anything like that. I just said the stuff you complained about is pretty much the only stuff actually within MAL's rules. Because that is the case. Not in an absolute sense, but in an easy to explain way, yes.

Chill out.

Apr 8, 2020 6:36 AM
Jul 2018
@Manaban, I like how you said you didn't want to be judgemental and then made a long post doing exactly that lol. Guess you were feeling dickish.

Tell me more about the work mode. I don't want to block ecchi pfps coz I still want to read their posts.
Apr 8, 2020 6:42 AM

Nov 2016
Meme profile pictures or philosophers. Bonus if the person is under 20, of course only if it matches their style of posting. Usually cringe inducing.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 8, 2020 6:43 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
operationvalkyri said:
@Manaban, I like how you said you didn't want to be judgemental and then made a long post doing exactly that lol. Guess you were feeling dickish.

Tell me more about the work mode. I don't want to block ecchi pfps coz I still want to read their posts.

Sure. If you're like me and tend to open MAL through your profile, it's really easy to change in public before you even access the rest of the site and have to risk seeing anything.

Just go to your profile settings, under the forum tab, and boop. You can change it back at any time and all you need to do is open your own profile without going anywhere else on the site. It hides everything, but it's great for public. Changing it is easy, too.

Last time we all had this knock-down drag-out about banning signatures, someone proposed a decent idea that could be fleshed out more - we ecchi fans could be allowed to have lewder signatures and looser rules, but in exchange, we'd basically tick a box that hides our signatures by default except to people who go to this tab and opt-in to seeing them themselves. Not ticking that box would place us in violation of the rules and it'd be bannable.

I don't know about how *feasible* that is, but it is the most fair way I've seen proposed to really handle this without harming or favoring one or the other.

---

Also, I'm always a judgemental dickhead :> That doesn't mean I'm being a good person tho, lol. Least I can do is note that it's not really justified.
ManabanApr 8, 2020 6:58 AM

Apr 8, 2020 6:48 AM

Jul 2019
BoshJ said:
NamikazeHime said:

Why do you think that someone who likes LOGH is an elitist? It's like saying that everyone who likes moe has a trash taste. Most people enjoy variety of different geners without focusing on just one.

I guess you just don’t understand what I’m trying to say, and to be honest I don’t feel like even responding if you think I’m just hating of LotGH, because that’s not what I’m trying to do.

Nope, it's not that I think you hate LOGH, I'm just curious to find out how can liking/disliking of one single anime define the entirety of one person's taste.
Apr 8, 2020 6:58 AM
Jul 2018
Manaban said:
operationvalkyri said:

Sure. If you're like me and tend to open MAL through your profile, it's really easy to change in public before you even access the rest of the site and have to risk seeing anything.

Just go to your profile settings, under the forum tab, and boop. You can change it back at any time and all you need to do is open your own profile without going anywhere else on the site. It hides everything, but it's great for public. Changing it is easy, too.

Last time we all had this knock-down drag-out about banning signatures, someone proposed a decent idea that could be fleshed out more - we ecchi fans could be allowed to have lewder signatures and looser rules, but in exchange, we'd basically tick a box that hides our signatures by default except to people who go to this tab and opt-in to seeing them themselves. Not ticking that box would place us in violation of the rules and it'd be bannable.

I don't know about how *feasible* that is, but it is the most fair way I've seen proposed to really handle this without harming or favoring one or the other.
Thanks. Will use the work mode when out in public again next year. I personally am fine with letting ecchi people have lewd pfps. It's not their fault that my countrymen are prudish and judgemental.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

68 by DarkFirefly72 »»
23 seconds ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

26 by Ex-Aid »»
10 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 7 hours ago

12 by Ex-Aid »»
23 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

100 by FanofAction »»
28 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 4 hours ago

21 by Rinenka »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.