Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 6, 2020 10:42 AM

Sep 2017
Looks like could end up being a really solid SoL drama. Nothing blew me away like say ep 1 of Sangatsu did, but still pretty good. Really good character animation. I honestly wish the pace was slower. I like the real slow burn to at least introduce the characters and their flaws.
Apr 6, 2020 11:57 AM
Apr 2020
Pretty good!! Reminded me why I love watching slice of life anime!
Apr 6, 2020 12:01 PM

Apr 2015
This seems pretty mediocre at best, its like NHK without the charm. What that Bunny Sempai show is to Monogatari. Just a watered down version of whats done better before. Probably wont even make anime of the season, let alone of the year.
Apr 6, 2020 12:19 PM

Jul 2014
Is this gonna be like a love triangle where the depressed pessimistic MC has an unrequited love towards his former classmate while having a young cute admirer drama? not really my type, not to mention the aura around this show is depressing af, already have corona-chan to handle all that, don't need my entertainment to give me those feelings as well.
The animation is nice as expected of Doga Kobo, Rikka's VA doing the young weird girl with a crow pet and HanaKana playing the teacher but... yeah.. drop. Just gonna get depressed watching this.
Apr 6, 2020 12:28 PM

Mar 2020
Wow an MC who confessed his love in the 1st episode, this has potential.
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Apr 6, 2020 3:40 PM

Mar 2008
I'm still not believing how good the animation is!
Real body animation!

But I don't understand how can people say this is "slow".
Didn't they noticed? A few days, more than I week passed in this episode. Rikuo meet and befriend Haru, he is already used to her presence, she already revealed a bit about her, Rikuo already tried to get closer to Shinako again and already was rejected by her.
A lot happened in this episode!

Is slow just because the camera isn't hysterical and the characters actually move like humans?
PaninaManinaApr 6, 2020 3:47 PM
Apr 6, 2020 4:29 PM

Apr 2015
PaninaManina said:
I'm still not believing how good the animation is!
Real body animation!

But I don't understand how can people say this is "slow".
Didn't they noticed? A few days, more than I week passed in this episode. Rikuo meet and befriend Haru, he is already used to her presence, she already revealed a bit about her, Rikuo already tried to get closer to Shinako again and already was rejected by her.
A lot happened in this episode!

Is slow just because the camera isn't hysterical and the characters actually move like humans?

Color palette is quite drab, editing and similar animation / angles makes it all merge into one. Could’ve been more experimental or more interesting use of the medium. Rakugo Shinjuu is slow but it certainly knows how to keep its narrative interesting. Also the show doesn’t really consider why we should continue watching, whats the narrative goal of this show?
Apr 6, 2020 4:42 PM
Nov 2015
I just realized that this anime may be a much more lighter version of welcome to nhk
Apr 6, 2020 5:00 PM
Aug 2016
I literally picked a random show to watch throughout the season and couldn't be more pleased with my choice!
Didn't read the manga and the only Doga Kobo anime I ever watched was Plastic Memories, which I didn't particularly appreciate, so this was a really good surprise imo.
Amazing art and animation, chill soundtrack that fits the theme of the anime perfectly, interesting cast (particularly Haru), this episode ticked all those boxes for me. I actually had to check if I wasn't watching a movie by mistake! I'm also a fan of how the characters were introduced one at a time instead of being grouped up and thrown at the viewer just like that.
On a side note, I can't figure out how some people found this episode slow and boring; characters were introduced, as well as the main plot point and the MC even confessed his feelings, which I only thought was going to happen halfway through the season or so. It would be great if people could learn the difference between the quality of an anime and their own personal preference. A totally unrelated example: I dislike incestuous or pseudo incestuous tropes and watched the first episodes of No Game No Life (didn't know what an ecchi was at the time xD); as the show didn't suit my taste I dropped it, but of course I couldn't make a case about it being a bad anime and still can't. Maybe a Seinen SoL just isn't your cup of tea? That's perfectly fine, but please don't waste your time shit talking a show just because of that :/
Apr 6, 2020 6:38 PM

Apr 2009
imSOunique said:
someone said elsewhere:
I've seen it translated as: "People hate liars, but people like lies"

wow that makes a lot more sense!
Apr 6, 2020 7:23 PM

Sep 2012
Wow, that was good. Like the natural feel.
Apr 6, 2020 8:46 PM
Jul 2017
I don’t know if anyone said this yet but Rikuo, and Legoshi have the same voice actor, AND both “love interests” have the name Haru. Just a stupid parallel I found lol. That is all. Bye.
Apr 6, 2020 9:10 PM
Jun 2017
I fell in love with this anime 💙 I really enjoyed the vibe it has, the colors, the characters, this thing with ravens, the ending... And I kinda see myself in Rikuo, so maybe this is something that I can bring to my life. I got high expectations with this first episode and I hope I won't be disappointed, because right now I'm feeling really happy for having this anime to watch in this season.
Apr 7, 2020 12:37 AM

Sep 2013
shit, is this anime trying to kill me with that setting
Apr 7, 2020 12:42 AM

Jun 2012
Absolutely amazing first episode!

The character writing and voice acting were top-notch... nuanced, had excellent character-defining quirks and personalities, and excellently realistic.

Also, this is the best-directed show I've seen so far this season. The combination of shot compositions and the use of lighting to set the mood were both excellent. (Watch the scene where a character goes from happy to uncomfortable. She starts the scene at a normal angle with her face fully in the light, then the frame goes Dutch-angle and her face is slightly in the darkness afterward, indicating her discomfort. It's lovely touches like that which really sell the emotion of this show, while so many shows this season have settled for flat lighting with almost no variety in shots.) This show uses its camera effectively to enhance the moods the characters are feeling.

I loved watching this first episode, I loved going back over it to see what tricks the director chose to use to set the mood, and I absolutely can't wait to see more! This show is going to have a lot to say about life, love, and finding one's inspiration and self-esteem. And a talented director is going to be telling it.
Apr 7, 2020 12:43 AM
Dec 2016
I enjoyed it. I love the subtle details (for fun, keep track of the time of day when certain events happen) and its atmosphere, but what I appreciate most is a story that at once cut deep yet kept a shred of hope alive. Many of the older viewers can recall coming to terms with a similar truth as the one Rikuo confronts at the climax of the episode. This is the sort of mature, adult-oriented story I crave every season and I hope it can keep up the good work.

Doga Kobo's star was dimming as I found many of their recent CGDCT/SoL adaptations mediocre, but this is a step in the right direction. Yesterday is not a series for everyone and I respect Doga Kobo for having the guts to adapt it.
Apr 7, 2020 2:54 AM

Nov 2011
Wasn't into this, felt it was trying too hard to be eccentric and different, who the hell walks around with a crow.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 7, 2020 3:20 AM
Jan 2019
Potential to be one of my favorites if they can keep this up.
Apr 7, 2020 3:28 AM

Oct 2018
Pretty good episode, this first episode gave me so much NHK vibes. This is the kind of slice of life i've been looking for. The animation was good and oh boy already a love triangle going on... Loved the personality of Haru's tho.

So far, this is the anime that I enjoyed the most in this season.
Apr 7, 2020 5:28 AM

May 2016
that was pretty nice tbh 8/10 gonna keep watching
Apr 7, 2020 6:07 AM
Aug 2019
This was the first great episode. The direction in this show made it feels so real. It has a cast of adults also seinen and slice of life, this will definitely be a good show.

Apr 7, 2020 6:38 AM

Nov 2010
yellowheartren said:
Wow, ok, an anime that's just 100% relatable, no matter how I look at it or which part I'm looking at..... Not sure if I'm entertained or hurting in that bittersweet way. [...]

Pretty much this. I hope it doesn't get overdramatic.
I just dislike the teacher character. She has no reason to reject him. Either she is in a different relationship, then it was a dick move to go out of her way to reconnect with him, or she is a psychologically broken person. Either way, as the main character doesn't have a way to help her in the second case, he should just stay away as far as possible.
Apr 7, 2020 7:50 AM

Dec 2014
zwolf12 said:

I just dislike the teacher character. She has no reason to reject him. Either she is in a different relationship, then it was a dick move to go out of her way to reconnect with him, or she is a psychologically broken person. Either way, as the main character doesn't have a way to help her in the second case, he should just stay away as far as possible.

Not to sound rude or anything, I'm just a little confused by this reasoning. What if she just wasn't interested in a relationship? It's not like she knew he liked her or they dated in high school/uni. He was a close friend of hers so she reconnected with him. I think she could've let him down in a more polite way, though.
게임을 하면 이겨야지.
Apr 7, 2020 9:28 AM

Mar 2008
MangoSamurai said:

Color palette is quite drab, editing and similar animation / angles makes it all merge into one. Could’ve been more experimental or more interesting use of the medium. Rakugo Shinjuu is slow but it certainly knows how to keep its narrative interesting. Also the show doesn’t really consider why we should continue watching, whats the narrative goal of this show?

The comparison with Rakugo makes no sense.
This anime have the art style and mood it needs.

Goal?
It's just a light romance and "slice of life", like many others, with the difference that almost all characters are adults, with the worries that comes with life after school.

zwolf12 said:

I'm the first one to throw stones at the worst of the worst girls, Shinako, but... "she has no reason to reject him"?
Wow...
Apr 7, 2020 10:21 AM

Mar 2014
This is really good, can't wait to see more
Apr 7, 2020 10:33 AM

Nov 2010
PaninaManina said:
zwolf12 said:

I'm the first one to throw stones at the worst of the worst girls, Shinako, but... "she has no reason to reject him"?
Wow...

So what is her reasoning of going out of her way to connect to him, when he actually chooses not to go to the gathering? She knew of his, less desirable, situation (probably from his friend, otherwise she wouldn't know that he worked at that job). So explain her thinking to me, she either thought that they were just good friends, which makes her more dense than the usual harem protagonist, judging by them talking together in university, or she just wanted to lead him on.
She rejected him in a very direct manner, which is not a bad choice in general, but with what happened before, means that she already knew she had no interest in him, but that he had interest in her.
Basically she lead him willingly into a trap situation where he could only lose.
Apr 7, 2020 10:55 AM

Mar 2018
I didn't even have this show on my radar but watched it anyway and the first episode was really good. Feels like this could become one of favorites this season.
Apr 7, 2020 11:32 AM

Apr 2020
NHK without as much comedy and with more realism. Also way less depressive and dark.

Good first episode. Looking forward to how this story will evolve.
--------------------------------
Apr 7, 2020 11:37 AM

Mar 2008
imSOunique said:
someone said elsewhere:
I've seen it translated as: "People hate liars, but people like lies"

jTiKey said:

wow that makes a lot more sense!

I believe there's more wrong with the subtitles.
I get the impression that this was translated from japanese to english and some languages are translations of the english subtitle. But the french and german are translated from the japanese, at least not translated from english because I noticed differences.

What Haru says to Rikuo near the end of the episode gives a better ideia of what happened, but this phrase "It's not like I quit school because I got fed up." may be a bit confusing. Haru was saying to Shinako that the incident that involved her was not the cause of her droping school, that was not a spur of the moment decision, that she just took advantage of the suspension to not go back to school, that was not Shinako's fault.
So this means that yes, Haru was "fed up" with school, right?

Now see the french subtitle:
C'est pas ça qui m'a fait lâcher les études.
(That's not what made me drop out of school.)

And the german subtitle:
Aber nicht doch. das war nicht der Grund, weshalb ich die Schule verlassen habe.
(But not. That was not the reason why I left school.)

There's a clear difference.
In these two subtitles Haru says very clearly that what happened between her and Shinako, what Shinado "did" was not the reason why she left school.

It's nice that anime is so accessible these days, but the translation is still a problem.
It can hurt a subtle story like this one.

zwolf12 said:

So what is her reasoning of going out of her way to connect to him, when he actually chooses not to go to the gathering? She knew of his, less desirable, situation (probably from his friend, otherwise she wouldn't know that he worked at that job). So explain her thinking to me, she either thought that they were just good friends, which makes her more dense than the usual harem protagonist, judging by them talking together in university, or she just wanted to lead him on.
She rejected him in a very direct manner, which is not a bad choice in general, but with what happened before, means that she already knew she had no interest in him, but that he had interest in her.
Basically she lead him willingly into a trap situation where he could only lose.

"woman can't be friends with man"
Noted.

But if you want to know more you can rewatch the episode.
You missed the part where she tells why.

Another:

"LOVE... is an illusion", is what she says.
Haru confessed to Rikuo right there, maybe this influenced him to do the same with Shinako.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenApr 14, 2020 6:15 AM
Apr 7, 2020 1:53 PM

Nov 2010
PaninaManina said:
zwolf12 said:

"woman can't be friends with man"
Noted.

But if you want to know more you can rewatch the episode.
You missed the part where she tells why.

Nobody said that a woman can't be friends with a man, but it is very obvious from the flashback that he was interested in more than just being friends and it should have been obvious to her as well, unless she is incredible dense.
Maybe it was just a bad translation and I give her more shit than she deserves, but I'm pretty sure that she is the main problem in this story.
On the other side your misreading of my comment for a stupid line like "woman can't be friends with man", makes you not really trustworthy to understand and interpret something correctly.
Apr 7, 2020 2:09 PM

Mar 2008
zwolf12 said:

Nobody said that a woman can't be friends with a man, but it is very obvious from the flashback that he was interested in more than just being friends and it should have been obvious to her as well, unless she is incredible dense.
Maybe it was just a bad translation and I give her more shit than she deserves, but I'm pretty sure that she is the main problem in this story.
On the other side your misreading of my comment for a stupid line like "woman can't be friends with man", makes you not really trustworthy to understand and interpret something correctly.

Yes, Shinako is the big problem child in this story, but not for this reason.
So, let's say that Shinako knew that Rikuo liked her. So what?
What should she have done?

I think you're asking a question that shouldn't be asked.
Like I said they even comment about this in the episode, watch from 7:20.
Rikuo says that Shinako "had her guard down" with him, right? Does it really matter if she knew that he liked her if Rikuo could feel that she was giving signals that wouldn't happen?
Next Shinako explicitly says that liking him or not in a romantic way she cared and still cares for him. You can say that she is a "motherly type" and found someone who she could dote. Not much time passed, she still cares for him, she is close, isn't this reason enough to make contact? Rikuo admits that he likes that Shinako does this for him, so isn't just her "leading him", Rikuo clinged to her. The problem is with Rikuo expecting something more from her, and he knew it, part of the reason why he didn't confessed before, because he knew she would reject him wasn't strong enough to remain close after the rejection.
Apr 7, 2020 4:35 PM

Mar 2014
What a great first episode. The atmosphere is really good and this shit hits too real lol, with Rikuo having a part time job because it's less stressful and he has less expectations to live up to, and him not confessing to his crush of course.

It was really brave of him to face up to his fear of rejection and confess his feelings, so that shit hurt when he was turned down. Damn. Regardless, it's still important and admirable that he did it. Haru is a really interesting and fun character too. I just love how she's strolling around with her pet crow on her shoulder. I'm really pleased with this episode, I hope the rest of them are just as great <3
Apr 7, 2020 4:52 PM
Jun 2017
Great first episode. Very likeable characters great setting and amazing overall vibe. Already love the energetic girl.
This whole episode reminds me of how much i adore this genre of anime ( Slice of life grounded romantic comedy sorta stuff :)

9/10 For this episode alone.

Please don't crash and burn.
Apr 7, 2020 9:50 PM

Nov 2007
Picked this up because I like Kei Toume's manga. The sketchy line weight on the characters adapts her sketchy style really well. I actually enjoyed this a lot. It had some nice thoughts relating to aimlessly drifting through life that are very relatable.
Apr 7, 2020 11:11 PM

Apr 2015
PaninaManina said:
MangoSamurai said:

Goal?
It's just a light romance and "slice of life", like many others, with the difference that almost all characters are adults, with the worries that comes with life after school.

zwolf12 said:

Wow...

If all the conflict is surface level of what we see the is it it really worth watching for the drama of the 11/12 episodes? Certainly one aspect has to make this show “stand out”. The appeal of this show is just kinda milk carton if anything
Apr 7, 2020 11:52 PM

Apr 2017
I can feel NHK ni youkoso vibes in this anime
Moe is Love ! Moe is Life !
Apr 8, 2020 12:36 AM
May 2017
MangoSamurai said:
PaninaManina said:

Goal?

Wow...

If all the conflict is surface level of what we see the is it it really worth watching for the drama of the 11/12 episodes? Certainly one aspect has to make this show “stand out”. The appeal of this show is just kinda milk carton if anything

What do you mean "all the conflict is surface level"? It is the first episode, we don't know anything yet, we are just getting hints here and there. You mean drama of 18 eps (according to a forum topic below this one).

What makes the anime stand out is its not so typical characters to have in a romance anime (99% of romance anime are set in High School with the same set of characters). Have you ever seen a girl with a crow her shoulder in anime before (with this strange, yet interesting personality)? The male lead with the 'tragic life' is not so usual as well, ever since NHK these people were always hit by truck-kun and got isekaied.

I would say art is amazing, conversations are very well written, pretty relatable and 'deep AF':
I attempted a so-called "personal transformation".
I tried confronting the lies I tell myself.
I thought, hey, let's see what happens, and...
Nothing happened.
I'm stuck right where I've always been.

imSOuniqueApr 8, 2020 12:49 AM
Apr 8, 2020 1:06 AM

Apr 2015
imSOunique said:
MangoSamurai said:

What do you mean "all the conflict is surface level"? It is the first episode, we don't know anything yet, we are just getting hints here and there. You mean drama of 18 eps (according to a forum topic below this one).

What makes the anime stand out is its not so typical characters to have in a romance anime (99% of romance anime are set in High School with the same set of characters). Have you ever seen a girl with a crow her shoulder in anime before (with this strange, yet interesting personality)? The male lead with the 'tragic life' is not so usual as well, ever since NHK these people were always hit by truck-kun and got isekaied.

I would say art is amazing, conversations are very well written, pretty relatable and 'deep AF':
Nothing happened.

First episode is 24 min of my time, i didnt check the episode count but apparantly for 18 then. Didnt give too much time to go in depth alot. I get that the "after college" setting is appealing but havent we seen this depressed main character before. Sure some of the "waifus" stand out but even she isnt particularly interesting besides the crow. Id say the art is quite nice but its not particularly special either. Also tbh the conversations are a little cringe. "People hate liars, but people like lies" to a person you just barely interacted with :/
Apr 8, 2020 2:18 AM
Jul 2018
I really enjoyed it. I'm about to graduate college so I can really relate to the MC. I too feel pretty lost right now so it's sense of apathy really hit home with me.
Apr 8, 2020 2:55 AM
May 2018
Nice begining. If you want something faster, go watch mecha fights...

Only negative is that I can't really make up my mind about why he only confesses his love 6 months AFTER graduation, and after the girl unexpectedly turns up in town again. This is in part made up for by the nice open conversation with his friend/co-worker, who frankly told him to be an undecisive wuss for fear of being disappointed (by her / by life).

Still, he's not teenager anymore. I would expect that at some point during their university time, they must have had a moment of truth about what kind of relationship they are actually having!
Apr 8, 2020 4:29 AM
May 2017
MangoSamurai said:
havent we seen this depressed main character before

I think we haven't seen it too much. At least not in decent animes, as I said the last MC I remember with these circumstances was in NHK.
I am not saying seeing this type of main character is uncommon, but them instead of dealing with their problems always go on a magical journey to isekai land and 'poof' the problems are gone. The last anime I seen where the character actually deals with his situation was NHK.

MangoSamurai said:
to a person you just barely interacted with :/

What do you mean, she's been 'stalking' him for like 5 years :D
Yeah, probably not the creepy way of stalking but more like a secret admirer. You know like the passing crushes, if things go relatively well in your life, you will just forget about them with time and never even talk to the person.
This case maybe things weren't going well at all, and feeling backed into a corner ("Maybe I'm out of places to escape to") might as well give it a go.
imSOuniqueApr 8, 2020 4:32 AM
Apr 8, 2020 5:53 AM

Feb 2017
Really good episode. They made mc really relatable. Liking everything so far but I am kinda worried it will develop into a love triangle that I, as usual, won't enjoy. We'll see.
Apr 8, 2020 5:54 AM

Dec 2015
this series is a big fat mood
Apr 8, 2020 6:43 AM

Dec 2017
This is so good and amazing, this is my bet for the season. Don't disappoint me please.
Apr 8, 2020 8:13 AM

Mar 2008
imSOunique said:

Nothing happened.

A detail about the manga, the chapters have a name and then various "scenes". The first few are named, "The one who wants to live differently to society, must also put himself into question", and that's exactly what we saw here.

MangoSamurai said:
First episode is 24 min of my time, i didnt check the episode count but apparantly for 18 then. Didnt give too much time to go in depth alot. I get that the "after college" setting is appealing but havent we seen this depressed main character before. Sure some of the "waifus" stand out but even she isnt particularly interesting besides the crow. Id say the art is quite nice but its not particularly special either. Also tbh the conversations are a little cringe. "People hate liars, but people like lies" to a person you just barely interacted with :/

This isn't an anime to collect waifus.
Haru is a pretty normal girl, don't be fooled by the crow that's after all portrayed very realistically. She is just a normal girl with a pet, that's all.
You really found the conversations "cringe"? They didn't interacted much, but like she said he isn't a stranger for her and she was talking more about herself like he had talked about himself.
Also, Rikuo is not depressed.

imSOunique said:

I think we haven't seen it too much. At least not in decent animes, as I said the last MC I remember with these circumstances was in NHK.
I am not saying seeing this type of main character is uncommon, but them instead of dealing with their problems always go on a magical journey to isekai land and 'poof' the problems are gone. The last anime I seen where the character actually deals with his situation was NHK.

For me these comparisons with NHK are very exaggerated.
I understand that it's easy to make parallels, like Haru = Misaki (the eccentric girl that knows about the MC and dropped from), Shinako = Hitomi (old love interest with her own problems), Fukuda = (Yamazaki, friend with glasses), etc.
But think again, the "circumstances" are very different. Haru have no ulterior motives, she just likes Rikuo. Shinako don't have problems with drugs and the problem are more the people around her, not her inability to live by herself, and most important than all, Rikuo is not a NEET!
Seriously, Rikuo is not Satou, he isn't really depressed, he works, he just didn't found yet a solid ground to put his foot, that's all.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenApr 14, 2020 6:15 AM
Apr 8, 2020 9:04 AM

Apr 2014
Really good first impressions from this. If you can relate to the main character with your own experiences it makes this show a lot more enjoyable.
Apr 8, 2020 9:25 AM
Jun 2015
PaninaManina said:
imSOunique said:

I understand that it's easy to make parallels, like Haru = Misaki (the eccentric girl that knows about the MC and dropped from), Shinako = Hitomi (old love interest with her own problems), Fukuda = (Yamazaki, friend with glasses), etc.
But think again, the "circumstances" are very different. Haru have no ulterior motives, she just likes Rikuo. Shinako don't have problems with drugs and the problem are more the people around her, not her inability to live by herself, and most important than all, Rikuo is not a NEET!
Seriously, Rikuo is not Satou, he isn't really depressed, he works, he just didn't found yet a solid ground to put his foot, that's all.

Definitely agree with you on that. NHK presented characters' issues at their extremes to highlight issues people deal with while Yesterday wo Utatte presents down-to-earth characters dealing with life's changes.
SAniyoukosoApr 8, 2020 9:29 AM
Apr 8, 2020 9:45 AM
Sep 2019
AmineDane said:
Good first episode. This is one of the shows I was looking forward to, and I’m not disappointed. This is giving me welcome to the NHK vibes though. I mean him smoking on a bench with a girl. And his face looks the same. And how (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง he doesn’t have a proper job.

Feel the same way .
It has a similar vibe to nhk. Him waking up alone in the apartment not having alot of friends.
Hoping for good things from this show
Apr 8, 2020 10:42 AM
May 2017
PaninaManina said:
imSOunique said:

Yes, you are right.
But I wasn't really comparing the 2 shows that closely. I was just answering MangoSamurai's question "Don't we have a shitton of these not-so-happy-with-their-life MC-s nowadays, what is any different this time?".
Yes, we did have quite a lot MC-s like this nowadays, but neither of the shows was about the MC actually dealing with his situation, all the shows just use this trope to gain viewers and then take the easy way out, isekai them right away (sort of symbolizing that there was no solution to their problems). And the last anime I remember where this kind of MC's problems didn't get solved with a "magical journey" (and is after high school) was NHK. So no, we don't get a lot of this kind of shows.

So other than both main characters having to fight their way out of their situation instead of "magic happens", and maybe just the overall mood, there isn't too much in common between the 2 shows.

EDIT: Anyway I really appreciate your translations of the translation :D
In most anime a little bit of mistranslation doesn't break much, but in dialog heavy ones like this one it matters a lot more.
imSOuniqueApr 8, 2020 11:19 AM
Apr 8, 2020 11:19 AM

Mar 2008
mjb said:

Definitely agree with you on that. NHK presented characters' issues at their extremes to highlight issues people deal with while Yesterday wo Utatte presents down-to-earth characters dealing with life's changes.

imSOunique said:

Yes, you are right.
But I wasn't really comparing the 2 shows that closely. I was just answering MangoSamurai's question "Don't we have a shitton of these not-so-happy-with-their-life MC-s nowadays, what is any different this time?".
Yes, we did have quite a lot MC-s like this nowadays, but neither of the shows was about the MC actually dealing with his situation, all the shows just use this trope to gain viewers and then take the easy way out, isekai them right away (sort of symbolizing that there was no solution to their problems). And the last anime I remember where this kind of MC's problems didn't get solved with a "magical journey" (and is after high school) was NHK. So no, we don't get a lot of this kind of shows.

So other than both main characters having to fight their way out of their situation instead of "magic happens", and maybe just the overall mood, there isn't too much in common between the 2 shows.

There's another big difference with NHK.
NHK was "just half personal", the other half of the series was about showing and warning about current problematic fads (from that time), like Hitomi's addiction on antidepressant drugs the psychiatrists can p rescribe without due care, Satou's addiction to the utopia of harem visual novels and later to the false relationships on online games, them multi level marketing scams, and maybe other minor things.
Yesterday have not pretensions like that.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zyjJanApr - May 9, 2020

150 by SadMeat »»
Jan 29, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2020

443 by StandingSitting »»
Jan 11, 1:23 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

160 by Stargurll02 »»
Jan 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

123 by komikvalentine »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

204 by littlebiglyon »»
Nov 15, 2023 2:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.