Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 4, 2020 10:08 AM

Mar 2019
Chickened said:
Clubby said:

I was just browsing twitter and saw crunchyroll announced this so i read some of the replies and they were hyping it up to be anime of the century, so i gave it a try and it's no where near the standard that they're holding it up to.

There is no standard set. Fans are being excited that they are getting their webcomic produced as an anime when it was thought it would never get one. They are basing their values from the webcomic and projecting it towards the anime. The show has not set a standard since it has just begun. I don't know if it'll be good or bad as the show progresses.

This first episode is not a blockbuster. But when people hype any series, the first episode traditionally isn't where any of their hype comes from. It has to do with the series as a whole.

when i see people hyping up a show, i excpect it to be at least somewhat good, this wasn't the case.
the first episode is supposed to get you hooked and it didn't have that effect for me, so i'll be sitting through this dumpster fire to see how bad it gets
Apr 4, 2020 10:10 AM

Mar 2019
pratiksingh1594 said:
Clubby said:

It's an overhyped show that's gone on for too long, and daffy really needs to get good at seeking cause jesus he sucks

whats ur fav arc from one piece?

idk i don't watch normie shows /shrug[/quote]

then u wont like tower of god...ever...TOG is similar to one piece...it takes time to build up characters,world,organization,etc. before getting into hype stuff...like the first HYPE arc of one piece starts from 225..similarly first hype arc of TOG starts from chapter 79...so if u like long stories then u ll enjoy otherwise i dont think.[/quote]

I like long stories if they have something interesting to offer and don't go on way too long. I like gintama for example, because it's goofy and fun, even though it lacks any story. One piece is just too long to get into or even enjoy, as you most likely forget plot points as you go.
Apr 4, 2020 10:11 AM
Oct 2015
Clubby said:
pratiksingh1594 said:

whats ur fav arc from one piece?

idk i don't watch normie shows /shrug

then u wont like tower of god...ever...TOG is similar to one piece...it takes time to build up characters,world,organization,etc. before getting into hype stuff...like the first HYPE arc of one piece starts from 225..similarly first hype arc of TOG starts from chapter 79...so if u like long stories then u ll enjoy otherwise i dont think.[/quote]

I like long stories if they have something interesting to offer and don't go on way too long. I like gintama for example, because it's goofy and fun, even though it lacks any story. One piece is just too long to get into or even enjoy, as you most likely forget plot points as you go.[/quote]

gintama has a story..how far have u watched?
Apr 4, 2020 10:12 AM

Apr 2020
Translation: Stop criticizing things I like.
Apr 4, 2020 10:13 AM

Mar 2019
pratiksingh1594 said:
Clubby said:

idk i don't watch normie shows /shrug

then u wont like tower of god...ever...TOG is similar to one piece...it takes time to build up characters,world,organization,etc. before getting into hype stuff...like the first HYPE arc of one piece starts from 225..similarly first hype arc of TOG starts from chapter 79...so if u like long stories then u ll enjoy otherwise i dont think.

I like long stories if they have something interesting to offer and don't go on way too long. I like gintama for example, because it's goofy and fun, even though it lacks any story. One piece is just too long to get into or even enjoy, as you most likely forget plot points as you go.[/quote]

gintama has a story..how far have u watched?[/quote]

i'm at episode 30 of season 1.
also, so far, i could've picked up this series at any point and still have understood everything. Each episode has it's own plot, and it's rare for it to have an arc that spans multiple episodes.
Apr 4, 2020 10:13 AM

May 2014
xkazutox said:
I haven't watch ep 1 yet nor read the manga

This sound like King's Avatar or Solo Leveling with some super broken op MC.

Apr 4, 2020 10:16 AM
Oct 2015
Clubby said:
pratiksingh1594 said:

then u wont like tower of god...ever...TOG is similar to one piece...it takes time to build up characters,world,organization,etc. before getting into hype stuff...like the first HYPE arc of one piece starts from 225..similarly first hype arc of TOG starts from chapter 79...so if u like long stories then u ll enjoy otherwise i dont think.

I like long stories if they have something interesting to offer and don't go on way too long. I like gintama for example, because it's goofy and fun, even though it lacks any story. One piece is just too long to get into or even enjoy, as you most likely forget plot points as you go.

gintama has a story..how far have u watched?[/quote]

i'm at episode 30 of season 1.
also, so far, i could've picked up this series at any point and still have understood everything. Each episode has it's own plot, and it's rare for it to have an arc that spans multiple episodes.[/quote]

it has arcs..it will start soon and will get very serious.
Apr 4, 2020 10:18 AM
May 2017
because it's shonen trash. not that the animation is bad or anything. but the webtoon is just over hyped shonen trash.
Apr 4, 2020 10:26 AM

May 2014
Clubby said:
I dislike this show for multiple reasons:
- The overly simple plotline. Sure, sometimes a simple plotline works. But when it's attached to a comic that has so much hype, it doesn't work.

- The characters. This MC looks to be my most hated of this season, if not this year. He gets thrown into an unfamiliar environment, doesn't have his bearings, and somehow manages to move on to the next test in around 15 or so minutes, and once at the second test, survives just barely because he kept on getting lucky. That's not MC material. Either you make him weak or overpowered, but not lucky.

It's just some boy unexpectedly being sent to do tests he doesn't know about. There's many questions to be said about this scenario that I think don't make this a simple plotline.

The MC qualified the first test through his instincts. He's surviving the 2nd test because he is being lucky. There is no standard for him to be overpowered or weak. He doesn't have to be weak nor overpowered to be qualified as the main character. From what I'm seeing, he seems to be lucky and weak. Power level shouldn't define characters anyways.
Apr 4, 2020 10:30 AM

May 2014
pratiksingh1594 said:

Stop talking about the webtoon and other series. You're messing with people's expectations and borderline spoiling this show.
Apr 4, 2020 10:30 AM

Nov 2013
Blue_86 said:
The people who love TOG generally aren't heaping praise on the first arc.

Yet here they are, heaping praise on the first episode.
You all need to watch Nami.

Apr 4, 2020 10:31 AM

Nov 2018
Know what the problem is? the webtoon is not that good, its not bad, but its nothing amazing, people hyping it up just because it is korean are just stupid....The studio didnt do anything bad with the adaptation soo far, but this is not ufotable...Only they can turn a regular and honestly, boring manga into a good anime(demon slayer).
TougenApr 4, 2020 10:38 AM
Apr 4, 2020 10:35 AM

May 2014
Donnefen said:
because it's shonen trash. not that the animation is bad or anything. but the webtoon is just over hyped shonen trash.

You offer nothing but what seems like typical MAL trolling. Your first message here on MAL is mere bait. If you have something worthwhile to say, you shouldn't make a substanceless, one-off statement attempting to throw all credibility of a series.
Apr 4, 2020 10:38 AM
Oct 2015
Chickened said:
pratiksingh1594 said:

Stop talking about the webtoon and other series. You're messing with people's expectations and borderline spoiling this show.

why should i listen to you? i will talk about what i want.
Apr 4, 2020 10:50 AM

May 2014
PoyNoy said:

What do you have to say about the first episode? Is there something you don't like about it?

abystoma2 said:
Blue_86 said:

There are many people who have read the Webtoon that are not satisfied with the first episode. The first episode of this series is neither too bad/good in my opinion.

pratiksingh1594 said:
Chickened said:

What you talk about is foolish. If you're not going in-depth about the anime then there's no point in my opinion. Just carelessly talking about bits of this show's webtoon and comparing it with other Japanese cartoons/manga debases expectations like mine.
Apr 4, 2020 10:53 AM
Oct 2015
Chickened said:
PoyNoy said:

What do you have to say about the first episode? Is there something you don't like about it?

abystoma2 said:

There are many people who have read the Webtoon that are not satisfied with the first episode. The first episode of this series is neither too bad/good in my opinion.

pratiksingh1594 said:

What you talk about is foolish. If you're not going in-depth about the anime then there's no point in my opinion. Just carelessly talking about bits of this show's webtoon and comparing it with other Japanese cartoons/manga debases expectations like mine.

i m telling him how the show progresses so he shouldnt judge this episode as its peak standard..nothing wrong in that
Apr 4, 2020 10:55 AM
Mar 2013
I wish solo leveling was animated rather than this but its ok, i think that the TOG gets better but i still find it rather boring i forced myself to chapter 200 and i still think it is avreage. But well i cant like everything.
Apr 4, 2020 11:04 AM

Nov 2018
Gal3riel said:
I wish solo leveling was animated rather than this but its ok, i think that the TOG gets better but i still find it rather boring i forced myself to chapter 200 and i still think it is avreage. But well i cant like everything.

This is decent, slightly above average i would say, but solo leveling? that is just op protagonist wish fullfilment basic garbage....We alredy have your every isekai garbage in every season to do that.
Apr 4, 2020 11:08 AM
Mar 2013
Tougen said:
Gal3riel said:

This is decent, slightly above average i would say, but solo leveling? that is just op protagonist wish fullfilment basic garbage....We alredy have your every isekai garbage in every season to do that.
every opera out there is "wish fullfiling for someone so i really laught at that XD man solo leveling is good because the mc is not some pussy that forgives "everyone" most of the times. Either way like i said there will always be something that is disliked by someone so i dont care.
Apr 4, 2020 11:19 AM

Nov 2019
Overrated AF boi

Koretards material.
Apr 4, 2020 11:43 AM

Jan 2010
Beleth01 said:
FriskySquid said:
Literally everything in the first 5 minutes was telling me not to watch it, so I dropped it. It was boring, slow, cliche, edgy in the intro for no reason so I even skipped the intro and this was all in the first 5 minutes of the show.

I'll let other people waste their time with it, and once they review it - if they give it praise then I might pick it back up.

Such an idiot. Great job... Didn't even finish the episode and shitting before even opening pants..

There is nothing wrong with dropping a show in the first few minutes of the first episode. Some people can tell that early if it's their cup of tea or not.
Rather than risking to waste time on something you think you might not like, it's better to just drop, and then pick it up again later if something make you reconsider it.
Pretty reasonable logic if you ask me.
Apr 4, 2020 12:36 PM
Nov 2019
Mainly because the anime was set up to be not that great, and it didn't seem like anything special. It was a pretty basic plot and it doesn't seem it would be anything unique. It's just your average dumbfounded heroin that doesn't know how to anything in the beginning and most likely becoming overpowered later on. Not to mention a harem already set up between the main character and the other girl that gave him the sword. I like SAO, but I just can't seem to find interest in this series so far. However, I probably shouldn't be talking because it's the first episode and this could have potential to be a great anime if it doesn't follow the same basic plot, kind of like how Re:Zero had a huge turn.
Apr 4, 2020 12:51 PM

Jul 2019
its interesting, i find the animation a bit weird sometimes but for the most part its decent.
nothing too good and not bad either, it was an ok first ep
Apr 4, 2020 1:03 PM
Apr 2019
ToxicTraitor said:

Dude, OP ?.I have been listening to OP continuously since yesterday.I haven't listened to any anime OP this much since ODD FUTURE(Bnha S3 OP1).Its a complete banger

I'm not referring to the song, it is definitely a banger. I mean the visuals. I've heard that they'll replace the black credit scenes, but in it's current form it's kinda lazy from a visual standpoint.
Apr 4, 2020 1:06 PM

May 2018
I'm fine with an anime being "hated" on, but guys, only the first episode has come out. You havent even given the show a real chance and it is definitely not as bad as people are making it out to be. To be honest most people are only complaining about this show because its "overrated" or "popular", but dont actually criticise the anime itself. They just want an excuse to show off that they have better taste than "mainstream" anime, which is pathetic.
Apr 4, 2020 1:14 PM
Apr 2019
PoyNoy said:

That was not my intention at all. I just thought judging an anime entirely on it's first episode was and calling it overhyped was stupid. I didn't even like the first episode that much, it was very mediocre. But even so, this is only one episode.
Apr 4, 2020 1:18 PM
Apr 2019
abystoma2 said:
Blue_86 said:

Honestly, I think people are just excited to see their favorite Webtoon animated at all, so anything will do. Though, not every fan liked episode one.
Apr 4, 2020 1:25 PM
Nov 2019
I've watched it twice now and scan-read chapters 1-6 and the pacing was too fast and world-building is just wrong, Artwork & animation was erratic which didn't help.

I'm getting horrible Arifureta & Assassins pride vibes from this already - I hope I'm wrong....

So far Hype > Ep.1 by a large margin.
Apr 4, 2020 1:35 PM
Apr 2019
penrhos said:
I've watched it twice now and scan-read chapters 1-6 and the pacing was too fast and world-building is just wrong, Artwork & animation was erratic which didn't help.

I'm getting horrible Arifureta & Assassins pride vibes from this already - I hope I'm wrong....

So far Hype > Ep.1 by a large margin.

That's fair. The pacing was a little fast compared to what I read of the Webtoon, but in the animes defense.... Webtoons are structured a bit differently when compared to traditional Japanese manga. It's probably difficult to figure out how much of it should go into the first episode, since not a lot is really happening. Skipping the dialogue that they did was a bad choice, though.
Apr 4, 2020 1:36 PM

Apr 2015
Because the MAL community is trash.
Apr 4, 2020 1:41 PM

Mar 2019
Miaya said:
Because the MAL community is trash.

the MAL community is trash, but to a certain degree.
Alot of people who went into this with an open mind and having not read the source material found it to be lackluster and mediocre, myself included.
Liking the source material obviously means that you'll hype up an adaptation of the series, but going into it from an outsider's perspective, it doesn't live up to the insane amounts of hype this got leading up to it's release.
Apr 4, 2020 1:42 PM

May 2009
Donnefen said:

It's not shounen. Shounen is demographics of manga and manga publishing magazines. This is webtoon - korean webcomic published on Naver's site. Demographics are not a genre.
Apr 4, 2020 2:40 PM
Oct 2007
Man.. this comunity has gotten so toxic over the years it isn't even funny anymore. People complaininng that it's too rushed others that it's too slow then others that it doesn't look the way they remember it when they were crawling out of their diapers when they were 10 years old..

And for fucks sake if you're a fan of the original manhwa and you trash this just remember you are decreasing the chance for this to get a second, third season... and for sure it should get better as the actual webtoon does.

In my opinion it was a decent start to the series an I enjoyed it. Were some things skipped? Yes. Was it the anime greatest episode ever? I guess not. But in no way it is trash.
Apr 4, 2020 8:01 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Okay, so I just finished ep 1.

I see the what's going on with the negativity now.
I didn't read the manga, so from an anime perspective only, the anime didn't appeal much to me if I were compare it to series like Btooom, Darwin's Game, Gantz, etcs.

Needless to say, this is just an average anime neither good or bad that somehow ranked 3rd with the most member watching on MAL this season.

It's not trash. It's just so-so okay. The sheer amount of attention it get make it vulnerable to criticism. That...you can blame the webtoon reader for drawing those attention.

I hope they release a korean dub ver for this series. The chinese dub for series like King's Avatar and Tales of Demon & God was enjoyable.
Fuwa_sanApr 4, 2020 8:05 PM
Apr 4, 2020 9:04 PM
Feb 2020
after 1 episode its either shit or masterpiece srsly isnt there any other ratings between that
im not saying its the greatest thing but cmon its not the shitties either
i think all this negativity comes from ToG fans hyping and comparing to other manga like one piece hxh sao aot and whatnot in my opinion those are good manga/anime but not masterpieces either so you can have opinions and you can state them as you like but any manga that has over 4 bill views cant be shit and it cant be a masterpiece either
also if they cramed the first season in 13 eps what they gonna do for 2nd season wich the webtoon has over 300 eps
my opinion on the first anime eps for someone who hasnt read the webtoon its confusing af and for someone who has read the webtoon its full of skiped info MC stupid name loads of important stuff left out or straight got wrong visuals could be better but most argue that the webtoon was like that but this isnt a webtoon so thats just a lame excuse
Apr 4, 2020 11:04 PM
Mar 2016
Honestly ToG fandom is currently split between those who love the current anime adaptation and those who despise the adaptation as they cut too many stuffs and important informations. I myself is part of the latter group so far. I don't usually complain about animes cutting some scenes in their source materials but this time it is hella too much. They try to rush a 78-chapter story arc into 13-episode anime so brace yourself for another cuts
Apr 5, 2020 12:36 AM

Apr 2016
I haven't said or rated anything on it yet, because I'd rather not judge from one episode alone. However, my take from ep. 1 was that it was no better than an off-brand magi anime. I think if you like this type of show, you'll really like it. But if you dont have the taste for it pre-set, and you judge it as harshly as other anime, it's really not all that good or entertaining. But hey, we're only one ep. in and thats just my experience. If you're seeing a ton of negativity in the community, its probably due to the usual hype effect.
Apr 5, 2020 1:23 AM
Jan 2017
As someone who used to read ToG(waiting till it's completed before finishing it), I was shocked to see this anime come out(didn't keep myself updated), and watched this with low expectations considering how good the webtoon was...and I have to say I really liked the first episode??? Not sure what the hate is about.

For those complaining about the story, this may sound cliche but the story and universe is really, really deep and complex. I got really into it midway through the first manhwa arc(not the beginning, the story has way too much to tell at the start to make it good). And if you complain about the art...then you're probably not very smart. The anime made an obvious effort to stay true to the original art style, down to how the individual lines were drawn, especially for the characters. Just compare the stills. And personally I love it, it's different from usual(why would you want more of "usual"?), and still animated really well. The shinsoo eel, meanwhile...was amazing.

Now if you've read all that, wait 5 weeks, and come back to this anime again. You'll literally be asking "what's next"?

P.S. I realise many of the hate comments come from people(probably young) who have poor comprehension ability^^ make of that what you will.
Willfer03Apr 5, 2020 1:31 AM
Apr 5, 2020 2:21 AM
Jul 2018
I found the episode to be quite decent and it definitely wasn't bad and we shouldn't really be judging anime by the first episode. For example, I hated the first season of Attack on Titan but got completely hooked when it came to the second season. So, I'd say that we should give Kami no Tou a good while before we make any conclusions.
Apr 5, 2020 2:37 AM

Jun 2019
The first episode was truly OK. First episodes of super popular anime such as Naruto (or even Bleach) are rarely incredible, people should just wait for the story to develop since the genre is shounen-ish. Very few anime manage to have a memorable (dramatic in medias res) first episode (Death Note, Code Geass or 3-gatsu no Lion are a few examples of the contrary), nothing really surprising there...

The art was unusual but I heard that it will improve so no problems so far. There were no real fights, so let's hope that the animation will be fine from this respect but it's probably too soon to call it bad (mediocre in the ancient meaning at worst, i.e. average). The camera angles if I may say have nothing outside of the ordinary, but if they are true to the source material, there's nothing to argue there too.

Plot-wise, let's say that the LN type unexplained names is simply annoying (Princess of "something too long I can't remember", 3-gatsu no buki, etc). Otherwise, yes, it resembles to a lot of battle royal type of shows, but the universe is known to be vast and complex (from what I read from people manga readers) therefore it is also too soon to judge it generic.
Apr 5, 2020 2:38 AM
Apr 2020
I can say that the episode felt rushed and a little weird compared to other anime. It didn`t let to build connection with the characters. The story in Tower of God is not Naruto style or My Hero Academia style. It`s more of a one piece style. I remember I had to grind through watching One Piece for a long time to get to the good parts. I think God of Highschool will have a better impact at the start since is more of a classic formula. I prefer God of Highschool to Tower of God because I don`t really put emphasis on world building and story but more on characters and action in a shounen type series.
I mean imagine One piece episode 1 coming out today with 2020 graphics. It would be boring for most of the community.
Kinben69Apr 5, 2020 2:42 AM
Apr 5, 2020 3:55 AM
Dec 2018
as someone who knows nothing of this series, I found the first episode to be very confusing. i literal have no clue whats going on. what are regulars/irregulars, what are princesses, what is the tower(what does it look like from outside, etc), why did the princess at the start treat him so well even though they are strangers, what are these swords imbued with power. I'm looking forward to learning more, but i'm bother by how little explanation was given in the first episode. on the other hand it gave me a glimpse of what the MC was going through since everything was also new and weird for him. maybe that's how they chose to tell the story and if so, its not so bad.
Apr 5, 2020 4:38 AM

Jan 2009
Don't know about "negativity" but criticism is not a bad thing, personally I liked the art style, overall the show looks interesting.
But this episode is still worthy of criticism, it had awful pacing, felt like it was taken from the middle of the series, not a good pilot episode if you ask me, not to mention the plot armor for the protagonist at the end of the episode and the bullshit about him getting helped twice just because he's "cute".

I feel like the fans are overreacting (like in every other fandom to be honest), I mean calm down people it's no big deal, no matter how great you think this show is it can still be criticized, and stop bringing up the source material, no one cares.
Apr 5, 2020 5:08 AM
Jan 2018
There are loads of shows that start of slow ...
Apr 5, 2020 6:03 AM
Apr 2015
I hear a lot of people complain about a strong princess randomly helping him and him getting a strong weapon.
Yet nobody seemed to catch the part where it was revealed that the test was rigged against him at a level that those on Floor 20 would struggle with.
How can you not see that all this weird shit happened for a reason and you aren't meant to know exactly why yet?
Apr 5, 2020 7:12 AM
Apr 2020
Yes there is an explanation for everything. Tower of god goes for the long run, it doesn`t explain everything imediately. The more you watch the more mysteries you discover.
Apr 5, 2020 1:00 PM

Jul 2012
People can critisize whatever they want and be negative about it. There are people who hated the shows i loved. Even from the first episode. I didnt go around crying about it lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2020 4:11 PM

Jul 2019
I haven't read the webtoon or watched the first episode yet so I can't say much but I'm not a big fan of the art and the story seems boring to me. But that's just me
Apr 5, 2020 7:07 PM

Aug 2013
pratiksingh1594 said:
xkazutox said:
I haven't watch ep 1 yet nor read the manga

This sound like King's Avatar or Solo Leveling with some super broken op MC.

its like One piece+ hunter x hunter

That's a lofty comparison to make. I hope you're correct, though, because I enjoy both of those series.
Apr 5, 2020 7:25 PM

May 2019
Kami no Tou is released.

Webtoon fans:

denial, <--- we are here.
anger,
depression,
bargaining,
acceptance.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2020

336 by Ratris_Decision »»
Today, 1:10 AM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2020

591 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 16, 3:12 AM

» Is Tower of God Worth Watching or Reading?

Cherish-Life - Mar 14

16 by Madhukar13g »»
Mar 27, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SingleH - Jun 24, 2020

459 by TayWilliams »»
Mar 7, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jun 17, 2020

456 by Kira_ga_Kiru »»
Feb 23, 11:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.