Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 3, 2020 8:21 PM
Feb 2012
it could have been more interesting but there's a big cast here with good voice actors so there's hope

one of the characters looks like Prince
ahneemeApr 3, 2020 8:46 PM
Apr 3, 2020 8:31 PM
Mar 2019
I personally really loved this first episode. It was exactly what a first episode should be in my opinion, introduction to the main characters. Echo's mentality that all he will ever be is a guy who picks up trash was a really intersting and unique trait given to him and relatable as well. The scene of him falling down with the trash was very impactful in my opinion. The action and the animation during the action really suffers. The cgi robot just looks like utter garbage but the character models on the robot are what really make me want to look away. I like the soundtrack obviously, the premise and setting is nothing new, but it's an interesting world that I think can be explored and might end up being really cool. I think the story is actually really cool. And lastly the character designs might not look like anime, but it works. Nothing crazy, but I'm really into it.
Apr 3, 2020 8:39 PM

Feb 2018
Fine episode. Not bad, but looks kinda generic (slaps, misunderstanding jokes).
I'll give this show a few more episodes.

Mecha fight was meh, same as the first track, hope that it will improve later.
Apr 3, 2020 8:51 PM
Jan 2019
"Characters" very good, "action" bad 😅
Apr 3, 2020 9:58 PM
Jan 2017
I wasn't sure if I should give this show a chance, but now that I watched it, I'm glad I did. This show features some… interesting robot designs and I do like the chemistry between Echo and Mu, but I feel like the show waits till the eleventh hours to kick into high gear. That's okay, the show first has to give us a sense of normality before the conflict begins, but… I don't know, the conflict feels a bit too sudden. Overall, this wasn't a bad way to start the show. I don't have much expectations for Listeners, but if it plays its cards right, it can be one of the finest shows of the season.
Apr 3, 2020 10:10 PM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

Nov 2017
So how come none of my old amps ever turned into a mecha? 😅
“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”
Apr 3, 2020 10:12 PM

Jan 2016
That was okay. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it wasn't horribly bad either. The main reason why I picked this up though was because Jin is one of the creators of this, and I LOVED his Vocaloid song series (Kagerou Daze and Outer Science are my favourites). The soundtrack is great, and I can't wait to hear more of it for this anime! Though I still wonder when the other PVs of Mekakucity Reload will officially come out.
Apr 3, 2020 10:17 PM

Jan 2019
I won't say anything about the quality of the artistry, since that seems to be well covered by the mixed reactions of everybody above me.

My only real issue is that we never addressed what I was sold on as the core premise of the show- that music doesn't exist anymore. It was very unclear whether the music in the bar scene was actually ambient or just part of the soundtrack, and the combat appears to be musical in nature, implying music exists in that way since Players are apparently relatively common.

Regardless, I'll probably tune back in for episode two, at the very least to see how the story's pacing is going to go.

Let's be real, there isn't much better to do in the present circumstances.
Apr 3, 2020 10:22 PM

Oct 2018
if someone is really into music they could watch it....
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Apr 3, 2020 10:42 PM
Apr 2018
Not bad but not so good either. But I'll prolly give it another chance,next episode might pull me in.
Apr 3, 2020 11:13 PM

Jul 2017
WELL...Carole and Tuesday this series ain't one, but for a start it's generic, but it's setting things for plot progression in the times to come.

Music and mecha are two genres that I don't really wish having to see, and this show brought it up. The FLCL feelings emerge, and that would've have been all good 20 years ago.

Players and Equipment...it seems that the characters are fond of people like this (at least for the MC boy Echo), and having modern day equipment (like the guitar amp) as material is fine and all considering his frantic hobby and obsession over such stuff. And the mecha war against the Earless...which is just essentially a MEH music mecha battle/fight.

Rie Takahashi is taking up more roles this season than usual, everything else is fine other than the hype going to MAPPA.

Fingers crossed for better things ahead.
Apr 3, 2020 11:40 PM
Mar 2020
Uninspired clone of FLCL with just ennough differences so not to be call plagiarism. Minus music - completely bland and forgettable, unlike FLCL.
Apr 4, 2020 12:01 AM

Mar 2020
I guess I'm going to be in minority here but while I first expected to drop this anime after a few minutes I actually enjoyed it. However, I'm rather interested in character dynamics and development rather than the overall lore of this world. So far it's pretty impossible to tell if plot will be interesting or not tho.
Apr 4, 2020 12:12 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty interesting start, very reminiscent to Eureka 7 in a few ways.

Honestly, I wasn't too impressed with the Player-Earless conflict and such but the Comedy was really good so it was a fun watch at the very least. Reck and his misunderstandings, xD. Really enjoying the dynamic between the two leads and the style of the show.

I didn't think Music would be implemented in this manner but it leaves a bit more to be desired thus far, hopefully the next episode will expand on this. Jimi Stonefree and the three already appearing next week suggests that we might be seeing something of that sort so it could well be the make-or-break episode.

Reck leaving without a word to his sister is one bittersweet farewell, I was sure that they'd include one right when the group of Earless appeared.

Op is a banger btw! A pleasure for the ears.

For now, I'm cautiously interested.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 4, 2020 12:22 AM
Oct 2017
Hatsuyuki said:
I think the designer played Nier Automata and liked 2B a little bit too much (not that I blame him)

Adam is the real waifu tho, if otherwise your opinion is ignored.
Apr 4, 2020 12:25 AM
Oct 2017
This feels like REALLY cheap FLCL, which also ignored the intricacies of both characters and animation, but if there's any mention of pearl jam than i'm satisfied.

Their new album kinda slaps.
Apr 4, 2020 12:34 AM

Mar 2019
I can say i liked it in general....

But the only thing it didnt convinced me at all, was maybe the most important... "the fight"... it was kind of dumb...

OST/Score is nice.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Apr 4, 2020 12:58 AM

Jul 2016
Well, that was completely... meh. Character designs aren't too bad, but the actual characters are boring as hell, with the possible exception of the mum, but I doubt we'll be seeing much of her past this point. Especially not in my case, because I'm dropping this right here and now.

Just as a side, for this specific setting, don't you think it would be more thematically appropriate to hold back on the OST until after the big punch-up starts? For a world where the concept of music has ceased to exist, I sure can hear a lot of music.
Apr 4, 2020 1:06 AM
Oct 2017
It's meh. I don't know how else to describe this. Just meh.

edit: Well, someone above me just said the same thing, so yeah, it's meh.
Apr 4, 2020 1:24 AM
Oct 2017
SoraSkates22 said:
How is this below a 7? Finally well written characters in a introduction and introduction in general.

These characters actually have some consciousness and emotion to them unlike most of the anime recently especially the big ones.

The writer worked on Wolfs Rain, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop and Eureka Seven. The experience shows imo in the solid writing which honestly is above average writing at this point in the entertainment industry.

In this episode there was already regret, realization/holding self back, dealing with false contentment and consciousness! When Mu was talking to Echo she gave up before she left because she realized she was being somewhat hypocritical and had no place to talk (she worries when the Music Box falls showing she isnt some tsudere or w/e shes an actual character with her own life). Echo realizing he was seeing mu as just a Pilot when he actually realized what it meant that she didnt have a name. He gets up but backs down cause contentment of where he is in life. I mean idk how this is being hated on that badly.

People actually have Tower Of God 1st episode above Listeners by multiple rating points. What!?...

First of all, because Tower of God has a good track record that spans a decade, and has a well-deserved reputation for great expansive worldbuilding that this series will never have.

As for character writing. It's very basic. I don't know how you could consider this well written. Just because there are cheap one-noted characters everywhere in anime doesn't suddenly make this good when so far it's not that different from the rest of them. The emotions are handled quite forcefully, and as generic as it can be too. There's nothing inspiring about this series so far t's the basic normal boy suddenly meet a mysterious special girl who inspires him to go do something like setting off on a journey or joining an organisation to fight something. The kind that has been done hundreds of times in mecha anime.
Apr 4, 2020 1:37 AM

Aug 2013
So...FLCL meets Darling in the Franxx meets Eureka 7 with sprinkles of Gurren Lagann? Okay that's a gangbang of what-the-fuckery I was not expecting in the first episode. Like some others, I was thinking this was going to be something like Carole & Tuesday...I must have missed the Mecha tag. I'll see where this goes but gotta say, not sure how I feel here.
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 4, 2020 1:56 AM
Jul 2018
The concept is absurd but I'm in for this music-fuelled ride.
Apr 4, 2020 3:36 AM

Dec 2018
It definitely has potential to be pretty solid. The first episode didn’t blow me away but I still liked it. Some great music though.
Apr 4, 2020 3:41 AM

Dec 2015
First episode was weaker than I had expected. Yeah it is MAPPA - compared to Trigger (only boring anime besides Kill la Kill) - they are good at original anime. (MAPPA's weakest anime are the adaptions where they use boring stuff as source.)

Still ... this was a bit too much with the setting. I like the sound and art. The chars are nice. Didn't need those earless monsters though. I hope we get the focus on the chars and survival as players in a world threatened by these monsters instead of tons of background plot to the monsters (that could steal screentime needed for char development).

3 player guys at the end in the preview ... I did not like that.

Nice was the mayor guy. Already nice char background for him. (I guess the guy he named at the end was the player the sister mentioned - and he had some deeper/personal connection and trouble with him that lead to him hating the players - not only "he destroyed city and now I hate players".)
Apr 4, 2020 4:27 AM

Mar 2014
I'm not really feeling with this anime, I will give it a few more episode to see if it can change my mind
Apr 4, 2020 4:44 AM

Oct 2008
a new show from MAPPA huh...this is an automatic follow!
Reiri is everywhere!
the music is catchy huh...
5/5.

Apr 4, 2020 4:58 AM
Sep 2016
Man that was fun, i love the western-ish setting, the music mecha idea is pretty cool too. The dub has some really nice voices to it, especially μ, it really sells her character.

Some stuff is a little cliche, like amnesia and the like but so far it's executed it well enough, but i lost my shit when the mayor said Jimi Stonefree .... i hope we get a lot more musical references
Apr 4, 2020 5:40 AM
Apr 2017
I think the world and character are a little too bland. The plot itself got a lot of potentials but sadly that they can't deliver it. at least for now.
Apr 4, 2020 5:43 AM

Feb 2019
Not really sure what that was about. Underwhelming, to be honest. Will keep watching to see if it picks up.
Apr 4, 2020 6:19 AM

Mar 2019
Wait, what the hell, this is a mecha anime!! I was tricked!! Damn you MAL anime genres!!
Wait a minute, how did this happen? We're smarter than this!
Apr 4, 2020 7:32 AM

May 2019
Not a bad first episode; engaging world, storylines and art, with a nice soundtrack and interesting characters and the introduction of aesthetically pleasing antagonists.

This could go far.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Apr 4, 2020 10:01 AM

Dec 2016
It kinda gave me Carole and Tuesday vibes. It was fun until those earless creature showed up. The animation of those earless turned me off.
Apr 4, 2020 10:11 AM

Sep 2017
I basically had no expectations going into this of what it would be like, but this certainty wasn't it. Show was pretty decent up until the random monster attack. That so just so cliche and full of holes.

Now I'm not sure if I'm understanding the Mayors words, but it seemed like he implied no Earless had attack their village until now. If so then +1 to convenience. Those players better turn out to be the strongest Earless magnets you could imagine. If that's not the case then I have to ask why tf would you live in a town with no Players if there was a threat of Earless attacks at any point. Makes no sense.

It's also a little on the nose how much they talk about dude not being a partner or whatever in the attic and then have him go all robot fighter 10 minutes later. Also wtf is the purpose of the "partners" besides I guess supplying the parts since it looked like Mu was controlling everything.

Speaking of, I guess we just have to chalk that up to subconscious muscle memory or something because she literally had no idea what a player was 15 minutes ago.

This felt like the first couple episodes of Darling in the Franxx but way worse.
Apr 4, 2020 10:21 AM

Nov 2010
- Ugly, westernized looking character designs.
- Annoying protagonist.
- Fat amnesiac girl.
- Ultra generic, uninspired music that fails to bring excitement to the scenes.
- Disgusting 3D crap mechas.
- Even though it's 3D, the fighting is as lazy and starved of animation as possible.

Needless to say I won't be following this.
Apr 4, 2020 10:49 AM
Dec 2019
Let's start with the premise. I like the idea, I'm just afraid it's gonna be like sao, fine idea, bad execution. The story seems interesting and I wonder where they're gonna take it. Though I am worried about the length of the anime, it seems too short for this. There seems to be so much you can do with it that I don't know if twelve episodes is enough, but maybe I'm just thinking about too many ideas that won't get explored in the anime.
The world building in this is really good, I get a feeling like there's more than just what they're showing us, so that's a great start.
I like the character designs, pretty chill, though Myuu's is just a bit generic excluding the audio input jack in her body. Myuu's personality is refreshing, nice to see a character that doesn't remember shit but not act all depressed and edgy and dumb. Echo on the other hand isn't amazing, but it's not rare that I don't really like the mc.
The dialog between people is kinda unnatural, and the sexual innuendos were very out of place, they were unnecessary.
I didn't expect this to be a mech anime, but it is. I wasn't obsessed with the cgi mechs, they don't seem to belong in the scene and stick out too much from the background.
Thinking about the episode as a premier, it's not impactful or unforgettable enough for me to think "oh I can't wait for the next episode and see how this is gonna go." but I will watch at least 3 episodes and then decide if I'm gonna continue or not. Though the ending did peak my interest, the design of the three women is cool, and it seems like they're the villains for this part of the story. I just hope that to beat them, since it will be a three on one (two if you count Echo but he doesn't contribute much for now), they don't use some bullshit way that the mc's win.
Since this is a music anime, the soundtrack should be good and it is. I have no complaints on that.
See you for episode two in a week.
Apr 4, 2020 11:24 AM
Oct 2017
SoraSkates22 said:
Niello said:

First of all, because Tower of God has a good track record that spans a decade, and has a well-deserved reputation for great expansive worldbuilding that this series will never have.

As for character writing. It's very basic. I don't know how you could consider this well written. Just because there are cheap one-noted characters everywhere in anime doesn't suddenly make this good when so far it's not that different from the rest of them. The emotions are handled quite forcefully, and as generic as it can be too. There's nothing inspiring about this series so far t's the basic normal boy suddenly meet a mysterious special girl who inspires him to go do something like setting off on a journey or joining an organisation to fight something. The kind that has been done hundreds of times in mecha anime.

Whats Tower Of God's first episode then in terms of writing? Certainly not well written. This is the definition of well written.

Tower of God first episode is a rushed mess in terms of adaptation. Doesn't mean the people who read the manhwa are going to suddenly it's bad. Despite being quite rushed the first episode was focused more on the mystery of the setting more than anything so it has different priorities.

The most basic sign, if Listener is actually well written there wouldn't be this many people giving lukewarm responses. The characters are utterly basic so far. The reason I think it's forceful is simple. When it's easy to catch on that the writer is purposefully forcing characters to say certain things to force some sort of conflict to happen or force some long out of place monologue, the attempt at emotional manipulation surfaces and becomes an annoying thorn that takes me out of the story.

Here at the beginning, we have a long monologue acting as a rather unnecessary exposition of the world and the equivalent of an exposition of the character's mental state, instead of letting it develops naturally. Then later in the episode we have another long monologue supposedly when he's about to die. But hey, apparently nothing went through his mind at all while he was reluctantly running to bring the girl the equipment. Nope. The character just stops thinking until the scene the writer wants him to think, and yet again portrayed through another exposition, and quite out of place to boot. The fk is this guy thinking running to the scene and falling to death along with the equipment he brought would make him a hero. That kind of monologue itself isn't bad, but it's very out of place here. They didn't build him up to be the guy who put emphasis on fame, so why is he thinking about being a hero when he's about to die? The thing that this guy wants but has been suppressing is going out there and experience the mecha and players battles and become a part of it, not becoming a hero. If he wants to express if they'd notice his dedication or that he's made the effort there are better ways of saying it.

Yes and I'm sure you don't have any generic shows rated at 10/9 probably. Forceful emotions? How and Where?

I'm using the 1-10 scale properly so I'm more than sure that's not the case.
Apr 4, 2020 11:30 AM

Jun 2013
I really enjoyed the first episode.
You can't base everything off of the first episode, so I don't have too much to say. I actually really enjoy the unique art-style, I definitely did not see that coming. It's really refreshing in my opinion. The soundtrack is awesome, as it should be.
No one really knows where the plot is going to go, so I can't say anything about it yet. All I know is that I liked it and I'm looking forward to the next episode.
dear me
Apr 4, 2020 11:54 AM

Apr 2013
Didn't really enjoy this one so might leave it and pick it up later~ Did not expect the mecha. Also the characters are very bland so far
Apr 4, 2020 1:18 PM

Jan 2017
What the acutaly F?

From the synopsis I was expecting something like Carole & Tuesday but we did get a crazy MAPPA anime that feels like watching "Gunnm, Evangelion and Carole & Tuesday" at the same time!

Apr 4, 2020 2:13 PM

Feb 2010
mecha not my thing but love chemistry between two main characters and the artstyle so refreshing
Apr 4, 2020 5:01 PM
Shōjo Specialist

Oct 2014
The only thing missing was “The Pillows”

Apr 4, 2020 6:25 PM

Mar 2020
Yet another low-value self-insert stuff. It is saved by its style, while remaining useless and boring. Let's see how it goes.
Apr 4, 2020 6:55 PM

Oct 2014
There were so many things that could have gone wrong with this pilot, but it managed to scrape by.

Original sci-fi dystopian setting with lots of world-building right away. They got the info out, it came at the expense of the protagonist's characterization. He had to explain all of his feelings to us, 'living in the scrap heap is repetitive but it is enough to satisfy me', which could have been shown rather than said. The legendary war story was told by the main character, which could have been boring but with the music premise, it managed to be engaging.

Now they just need to get out of the ugly junkyard and do something worth watching.
Apr 4, 2020 9:04 PM

Apr 2015
As with many other shows the concept seems force fed into the show, all the music motifs feel absurd in a tacky way.

I'm not getting how certain Japanese people still think Oasis is cool. Juxtaposed with dystopian futuristic SF no less.
Apr 4, 2020 9:06 PM

Nov 2015
So, I thought we'd get a Carole & Tuesday vibes anime, but not a Gurren Lagann
I'm kinda disappointed tbh... But I liked the characters and the art, and the soundtrack is gud
Apr 4, 2020 9:48 PM
Jul 2013
I thought the first episode was pretty good, the setting was nice and ambient, and the characters upbeat and uplifting. Esp the female character, the storyline on paper, not very original, but watching teh anime feels original, so whatever. Better than other animes premiering right now, but i guess my tastes are different 🤷‍♂️
Apr 4, 2020 10:51 PM
Oct 2019
I feel a little mislead to be honest. The description is that it takes place in a world where the concept of music doesn't exist. Except it obviously does exist as you can literally hear it, and even if the music we're hearing in the bar is for the audience only, you can still hear her humming while waiting for the train. I feel like this would be much more interesting if the world ACTUALLY had no music and that they were going to "discover" or rediscover it, something similar to The Giver where color is restored to the world.
Apr 4, 2020 11:51 PM

Jun 2017
It was an alright start.
I honestly just came across this randomly. I would have to watch a few more episodes to fully judge it.
The character design is really cute though!
yura_marinetteApr 4, 2020 11:54 PM
Apr 5, 2020 12:42 AM

Mar 2009
Thought this was a decent enough episode, but that may be my nostalgia for Eureka Seven talking. No idea why people are comparing this to FLCL.
Apr 5, 2020 1:25 AM

Aug 2012
Characters were good, art was good, but the animation and plot were meh.

I will most likely watch this.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Listeners Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2020

57 by BiobulletM »»
Oct 19, 2022 11:44 AM

» Why Do People Dislike This Show And Why Is The Overall User Score A 5.68?

Hunterconnor - May 25, 2020

19 by BlaizeV »»
Mar 23, 2022 2:42 PM

Poll: » Listeners Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2020

86 by BlaizeV »»
Mar 21, 2022 3:35 AM

Poll: » Listeners Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2020

19 by shortkitty »»
May 29, 2021 4:11 PM

Poll: » Listeners Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 22, 2020

22 by nyanbinary »»
Dec 28, 2020 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.