Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 3, 2020 6:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A lot of singing in this first episode. Considering the promos, I'm not too surprised. We got introduction of Sakura along with the main cast already though.

I think this anime has some personality so far with the colorful cast. Sakura seems like a normal person. There's also some of the mechs that were revealed like from the promos. Haven't played the game before but I think this was an okay start.
Apr 3, 2020 6:45 AM
Apr 2020
This is the 2nd game in the Sakura Wars franchise to get a Western release, the 1st being Game 5, So Long My Love. (The previous 4 games are Japan-only releases, although some people released an English translation patch for Game 1).

Kubo Tite of Bleach was chosen as the new main character designer, replacing previous longtime designer Fujishima Kousuke (Oh My Goddess, Tales of… franchise). Sega also brought in guest artists to design supporting characters, like abec (aka. Bunbun) (Sword Art Online), Shigenori Soejima (Persona franchise, Catherine), Shimada Fumikane (Strike Witches, Girls & Panzer), and Ito Noizi (Suzumiya Haruhi) to name a few.

Klara’s an anime-exclusive character designed by popular illustrator Mika Pikazo.
https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/1039353/illustrations

Pikazo’s other designs include:

- Virtual Youtuber Kaguya Luna https://i1.wp.com/sojapan.jp/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2018_sp_kaguyaluna.jpg?fit=800%2C800&ssl=1
- Illustration for LN series Saikyou Juzoku Tensei
https://cdn.novelupdates.com/images/2016/10/6119Xyh2LoL.jpg

Stark700 said:

Haven't played the game before but I think this was an okay start.

Game's English release is due for this April 28th, Japanese audio with English subtitles and text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6Nkci12AI

Some info on the Sakura Wars franchise, for your perusal.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/sakura-taisen-introduction/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakura_Wars_(1996_video_game)

zz2000Apr 3, 2020 8:39 AM
Apr 3, 2020 7:12 AM

Jan 2016
Friendly reminder that this is a sequel/set after the new Sakura Wars game that releases on the 28th of April in the west.

So if you, like me, plan on getting the game then I'd advise you to not watch the anime right now
Apr 3, 2020 7:19 AM

Apr 2009
Trailer had a nice framerate, but the series is just choppy like all other CGI anime. Drop.
Apr 3, 2020 7:58 AM

Dec 2014
I intend to play the game at some point but my impressions of the anime so far are that it's somewhat decent. Not sure what to expect of it but let's see.

The girls and seiyuu choices are top tier though.
Apr 3, 2020 8:24 AM
Apr 2020
Lelouch0202 said:

The girls and seiyuu choices are top tier though.

Fun fact - Tanaka Mayumi (aka. the seiyuu for Dragonball's Goku and Monkey D Luffy) was involved in the franchise's previous games. She voiced one of the potential love interests, friendly and boisterous martial artist Kanna.
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/2c/d7/d2/2cd7d234c629aa77cb0225b0d7f83fcd.jpg

Stark700 said:

A lot of singing in this first episode.

Singing’s a given in this franchise, considering the Imperial Theatre Revue is based on the real-life Takarazuka Revue (actresses play all roles in lavish Western-style musicals).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takarazuka_Revue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoWW0wNSBlI

The voice actresses of previous games were chosen for their vocal singing talents, which can be seen in the songs used (and the 2000 TV series version).

Ex. Ending song of the 2nd Game, by the VAs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj1bnqKksys
https://www.animelyrics.com/anime/sakurat/stynt.htm

2000 anime ending song, by Yokoyama Chisa; VA of Shinguji Sakura, poster girl of the franchise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9123j5uFg4g
zz2000Apr 3, 2020 8:27 AM
Apr 3, 2020 8:42 AM

Jan 2014
The way the characters move sometimes. It gives me Houseki no Kuni vibes honestly. Though that show was more pretty looking. But this doesn't look too bad at all.

Gives off an interesting premise too. Gonna keep watching for sure.
Apr 3, 2020 8:44 AM

Oct 2010
FireFistYK said:
Friendly reminder that this is a sequel/set after the new Sakura Wars game that releases on the 28th of April in the west.

So if you, like me, plan on getting the game then I'd advise you to not watch the anime right now

this is confirmed? Gah...lame. My Thursdays are empty!
Apr 3, 2020 8:49 AM
May 2014
Could be worse. I skipped through most of the 'home base' scenes but the singing was decent I guess.

Mysterious young girl with amnesia is a tired trope. Mysterious edgelords and demons fighting over her. Okay... There's a 1% chance this goes somewhere interesting.
Apr 3, 2020 8:52 AM

Oct 2008
Revue, mechs, Sanzigen's CG art...hmmmm...give it a try!
4/5.

Apr 3, 2020 9:55 AM

Feb 2019
That OP is amazing. I normally don’t like CGI stuff but this isn’t too bad. Kinda like Bandori and Arpregio

Yea there’s obviously a lot of story cut out here and is very much an adaptation for game players. Can’t drop it now that I’ve started it though lol, maybe I’ll get the game one day or read the wiki.

That ED is also a banger.
Apr 3, 2020 10:19 AM

Jul 2014
Generic with poor animation but I'll probably end up watching it because this season has almost nothing watchable.
Apr 3, 2020 10:33 AM

Oct 2017
Sokah said:
Generic with poor animation but I'll probably end up watching it because this season has almost nothing watchable.

It looks better then the last season, but still mostly trash
Apr 3, 2020 11:17 AM
Jul 2015
Eww CGI *cough10FPScough*

The OP song remix sounds good though
Apr 3, 2020 11:18 AM

Oct 2017
Pretty decent start and I like the setting of this anime. The girls were cute but the mecha designs were lame. Well let's see how this goes.
Apr 3, 2020 12:11 PM

Jul 2014
Ayane Sakura and Saori Hayami <3

I liked it, I really liked it. It's supposed to be placed after the events of the game, but without having played it (or none of the previous ones) it's quite enjoyable anyway. I'd like to play the game... but I don't have a PS4 so I'll enjoy the anime as much as I can.

Usually, CGI would turn me off, but I'm used to this one with Bandori... I would still prefer traditional animation though. And I wasn't expecting the revue part but it was great, a nice surprise. I can't wait for next week!
Apr 3, 2020 12:12 PM

Aug 2012
The laziness of this studio is over 9000. From animation to lines to story they just copied what happens in the game. And it does not look good. Unless you are fan of the game will not enjoy it
Apr 3, 2020 12:36 PM

May 2010
CGi is on some next level shit in this one
Apr 3, 2020 12:44 PM

Nov 2013
wait, is Sakura´s hair blonde or black? one of the reasons i started this was because of how cool she looks on the cover, but then she was blonde lol

i quite like the songs, specially the op

not sure what to think about the mecha's fight, but i guess i can watch it
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 3, 2020 12:54 PM

Jun 2015
Mecha, Girls, Big Guns, Demons, Dancing and Singing. What can possible go wrong here!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 3, 2020 1:39 PM

May 2018
Are those the same seiyuu who were singing, cu'z they kinda have a different voice on stage?
Apr 3, 2020 2:09 PM
Jul 2012
First drop of the season for me
Apr 3, 2020 2:46 PM
May 2016
it was a smooth introduction, it went by pretty quickly, and I kind liked it. I'll definitely keep watching it, probably for three episodes, could be more though, since I just like SANZIGEN's style. I'm intrigued by the plot, I hope the characters get more fleshed out, and I hope I enjoy it. 6/10, will keep watching
Apr 3, 2020 2:47 PM
May 2016
winddevil1 said:
wait, is Sakura´s hair blonde or black? one of the reasons i started this was because of how cool she looks on the cover, but then she was blonde lol

i quite like the songs, specially the op

not sure what to think about the mecha's fight, but i guess i can watch it

I think the blonde was supposed to be make up or a wig or something, but it is pretty clear the studio just changed the color of the model for the sake of the scene
Apr 3, 2020 2:49 PM
May 2016
DLSUalpha009 said:
Eww CGI *cough10FPScough*

The OP song remix sounds good though

10 FPS is a bit of an exaggeration, but to properly explain, studio SANZIGEN has a style of imitating 2D with 3D, it's a style, and I like it, but it is kind of an acquired taste
Apr 3, 2020 2:53 PM
May 2016
brandis said:
Could be worse. I skipped through most of the 'home base' scenes but the singing was decent I guess.

Mysterious young girl with amnesia is a tired trope. Mysterious edgelords and demons fighting over her. Okay... There's a 1% chance this goes somewhere interesting.

if you're going to skip scenes, what's the point of watching the show?
Apr 3, 2020 4:39 PM
Feb 2020
The first episode was fine I'm not really sure about the story which seems a bit lame. Thought the music was pretty good and the voice acting seemed pretty reasonable. Overall about a 6 after the first episode but depending on whether the story improves or not this could go either way.
Apr 3, 2020 5:59 PM

Jun 2013
I don't know I'm not really feeling it
Apr 3, 2020 6:18 PM

Feb 2016
I was going to watch this because Tite Kubo is in charge of the character designs. But ugh, that awful CG hinders his true talent.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 3, 2020 6:33 PM

Jan 2009
damn lots of hate because of 3DCG again

i personally like it and im fine if this is the future of anime since 3D technology will improve over time anyway

they remix the legendary song although its not as good as the original song its still nostalgic
Apr 3, 2020 6:38 PM

Jul 2010
What a waste, ruined it with 3DCG. I'll just play the game when it comes out.
Apr 3, 2020 6:44 PM

Jan 2011
damn talk about a bummer i didn't even want to drop this but i didn't realize it was not only a sequel but a sequel to the recent game that came out in japan like shit you'd think it would be a good time to get new fans on board with a nice reboot not like Sakura wars was around a few years ago it's been almost 20 years! ,then you top it off with using the same models even if they were done by Kobo that translates into trash when cgi

fair well Sakura Wars music was cool though
Apr 3, 2020 7:17 PM
Jun 2013
already love this anime. the animation and graphics are amazing and i really like the setting and characters. basically a harem but not really YET lol cant wait to see this develop
Apr 3, 2020 7:33 PM
May 2014
NG_Chloe said:
brandis said:

...For the other scenes?
Apr 3, 2020 7:34 PM

Apr 2012
No matter how bad this might be, I will watch it anyway because it's Sakura Wars. It's one of very few series where I will stay on board on a sinking ship.
Apr 3, 2020 9:55 PM
May 2016
brandis said:
NG_Chloe said:

...For the other scenes?

but if you're not watching it all the way through, you're not getting the full experience, and you're of course skipping the scenes, because you dislike them, so wouldn't it be best to drop the show if you don't like it, because there are other series out there that offer good scenes, but you can enjoy them most of the way through, enduring the occasional scene you dislike
Apr 3, 2020 10:23 PM

Jul 2017
As an anime-only and being someone who has no intentions to play the game (which has largely become Japan-only exclusives in its long-running franchise and slowly extended to the West with gaining popularity), this was an OK start.

Bleach's Tite Kubo's character designs are eye-catching, but Sanzigen's 2D and 3DCG animation mesh is a taste that still needs to either get used to or be put off by it (I mean if you have played the games, you know what I mean). And of course, the main entitlement of the series: full-on mecha style.

Songs are nice though, still being cool that is. In game adaptations like this, don't really care much for story, but the plot is as decent as it is for now.

Hope it at least goes somewhere.
Apr 3, 2020 10:43 PM

Oct 2018
so this season doesn't have any good anime ?!
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Apr 3, 2020 10:46 PM

Apr 2008
When the video game graphics are better than the anime, ouch. The game looks so much better.
Apr 4, 2020 6:29 AM

Feb 2014
Hearing the remix of the legendary OP song feels a little nostalgic. I still prefer the original though. The CGI doesn't really bother me, it wasn't that bad and it wasn't perfect either.

First episode seems like a good start, lots of singing since this is Sakura Wars after all. Some mecha fights as well. I'll keep on watching the anime and plan to play the game once my pre-order arrives.
Apr 4, 2020 6:55 AM

Jun 2013
I don't know anything about the games, other than knowing they existed and obviously, I've never played them. However, I did watch the original Sakura Wars TV series from 2000, it's been twenty years since then and I thought this was going to be good but eh. I was around eleven or twelve/thirteen when I first saw it.

Loved the main Sakura girl with the blue hair. I did excited about the OP song it's a variation from the famous OP in the 2000 series. The Tite Kubo character designs are nice, it's more evident with the male characters though. The CGI sometimes looks good but mostly looks awful.

I'm still on the fence whether to stick with it or not. I guess I'll give it a few more episodes.
臭い-
Apr 4, 2020 11:06 AM

May 2011
The CGI looks ok but for the monsters it looked bad. I find it fine.
Apr 4, 2020 12:12 PM

Dec 2015
Tanaka didn't voice Goku, she's the very recognizable voice behind Kuririn...

Erk... Kubo's designs + Sanzigen CGI style don't blend well together (unlike the little girl, whose design is not very appealing and certainly doesn't fit with everything else). And having Kubo do so much female characters was not very wise (maybe the reason why he didn"t get the full chara-concepts ordered).

Where is the nice surprise that was BBKBRK and where's the progress from that? It's still as choppy/"unnatural" in the same way forthe same kind of movement. Bubuki had the action and catchy designs and colours to divert your attention, things absent here.

Story-wise? As usual, the animation is only a complement to the game, a nice addition for fans.

2.5/5 Neither okay nor anger-inducing.

They even changed parts of the emblematic theme song?? (not a terrible result but still not reaching the appeal of the original song)
Rei_IIIApr 4, 2020 12:16 PM
Apr 4, 2020 6:30 PM

Mar 2020
This is so harem with little value. Boring, cliché. Easy drop.
Apr 4, 2020 7:40 PM
Jul 2009
Well, as somebody who played the game and liked it, I'm glad to see the whole team again. Really happy to see Lancelot and Elise even if their appearance was short. I'm not gonna be surprised if this series end up setting up a plot points for the game sequel
Apr 5, 2020 7:22 AM

Jun 2016
seriously the animation is so fucking awesome !!!
compared to bang dream season 3 this is much better !!!
Apr 6, 2020 7:25 PM

Jul 2010
I liked. Nostalgic but not just it.
Watching!
Apr 7, 2020 12:32 AM

Jun 2012
Its characterizations were generic, its director's choice of shots/framing was mostly uninteresting, and its tone and flow were a bit of a mess, but it was competent and inoffensive. It was interesting enough to distract me from the void for 22 minutes even though I don't think it was good.
Apr 8, 2020 5:04 AM
Dec 2018
I really didn't enjoy it, was kind of a hot mess. The characters are somewhat bland, the animation ranges from being OK to straight up awful, and the fight at the end was bad. The music though I thought was a little interesting. I'm not really a big fan but I'll probably watch the rest of it anyway. I've never played any of the games and I have a feeling that's why I don't enjoy as much as some of the others on this post seem to.
Apr 14, 2020 11:35 AM

Sep 2018
I started this anime series just out of curiosity, I'm not a fan of the video game. The impression it gave me is not bad, but it didn't bother me much about the vision of this episode. I don't like anime series made completely with CG, but I know the quality of the CG used is very good, and also the facial mimicry of the characters is well done. The soundtrack is quite catchy, I will try to follow this anime series, who knows if it won't surprise me in the future.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shin Sakura Taisen the Animation Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2020

19 by yakisobaman »»
Mar 4, 1:00 AM

Poll: » Shin Sakura Taisen the Animation Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 15, 2020

15 by Magito »»
Oct 18, 2022 5:19 AM

Poll: » Shin Sakura Taisen the Animation Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2020

14 by Wakashimazu »»
Oct 11, 2022 11:36 PM

Poll: » Shin Sakura Taisen the Animation Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2020

29 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Oct 10, 2022 9:29 AM

Poll: » Shin Sakura Taisen the Animation Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2020

11 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Oct 10, 2022 9:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.