Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think that once we hit a certain age we should quit anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 4, 2020 2:24 PM
Jul 2018
@ArabianLuffy

another 80s baby, nice. I consider myself pretty old for a millennial, but you might as well be generation X, right?

you were what, 19 for the millennium? normally, to be considered a millennial, you have to have grown up during the cross over into the new millennium.

You're either a very young gen x, or a very old millennial.

Which do you like better? :P

DBZ started airing on CN in 1998 iirc, which is when the major anime boom in the west really started, so you were.. 17? when I was 12. I could see that I guess, just a little bit weird to me, because I stopped watching DBZ after the millennium and didn't watch it when I was in highschool. I still watched anime, but I grew out of that show in particular.

Did you watch DBZ on CN? or what? I assume you might have watched anime on the science fiction channel too...most of the older people who got into anime in the 90s/early 2000s watched it on the science fiction channel as well. Well, at least it seems that way most of the time when I speak to people as old or older than me or around the same age.

I'm always curious how people got into it during the first big anime boom in the west.

Like, I'd be super curious to know how Matt Greenfield and David Williams came across the medium. They are the true pioneers, and most of us wouldn't be here without them.
Apr 4, 2020 2:28 PM
Aug 2019
i think it all depends on how we got into anime and if at a certain age we lose interest in anime so i say no
Apr 4, 2020 2:29 PM

Oct 2019
not really. Why should there be an age to quit watching anime? Same goes for cartoons. Why should there be an age to quit watching them. Yea, if you lose interest in something sure, but if you still enjoy what you watch, you do not need to stop watching it because of your age.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Apr 4, 2020 2:36 PM
Jul 2018
Good luck telling a kid to watch series with that character design....

Apr 4, 2020 2:51 PM
May 2016
What I can say is this, as I got older, I lost interest in animes on TV, usually battle shounen anime, and I looked for anime with more mature and serious stories.
Apr 4, 2020 3:04 PM
Oct 2018
If there can be an 88-year-old woman who plays Animal Crossing, I don’t see why there can’t be men in their 20s who watch anime.
Apr 4, 2020 3:21 PM

Sep 2009
Currently i'm in late 20s and most likely I won't stop watching anime in my 30s either.

Apr 4, 2020 3:32 PM

Feb 2020
I'll be 29 this month and I'll be really surprised if I ever completely stop watching anime.

One thing I will say though is sometimes I feel a disconnect from certain animes that are heavily school oriented. I think as time goes on my taste is likely to age like a fine whisky.
Apr 4, 2020 3:41 PM

Mar 2018
It turning into a tiring chore is what could possibly distance me from it.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Apr 4, 2020 3:43 PM

Jul 2019
If you do enjoy watching anime, then why do you even think that your age might be relevant? It is a form of entertainment, afterall. Any form of entertainment should have been quit, at some point in life, had hitting a certain age been relevant to the subject, but that's not the case.

Reach for the
Starsβ˜†

Apr 4, 2020 3:47 PM

Jul 2011
No, age doesn't matter. Taking a break from it and doing other things in the meantime is what I'm doing to not lose interest.

Apr 4, 2020 3:49 PM

Oct 2010
None of it matters. You can even watch "children's" anime if you want.
Apr 4, 2020 3:55 PM

Dec 2008
jarring said:
another 80s baby, nice. I consider myself pretty old for a millennial, but you might as well be generation X, right?

you were what, 19 for the millennium? normally, to be considered a millennial, you have to have grown up during the cross over into the new millennium.

You're either a very young gen x, or a very old millennial.

Which do you like better? :P

I rather look at myself as a very young gen X. Now you mentioned Generation X...... can't help it but hit the music.

jarring said:
DBZ started airing on CN in 1998 iirc, which is when the major anime boom in the west really started, so you were.. 17? when I was 12. I could see that I guess, just a little bit weird to me, because I stopped watching DBZ after the millennium and didn't watch it when I was in highschool. I still watched anime, but I grew out of that show in particular.

Did you watch DBZ on CN? or what? I assume you might have watched anime on the science fiction channel too...most of the older people who got into anime in the 90s/early 2000s watched it on the science fiction channel as well. Well, at least it seems that way most of the time when I speak to people as old or older than me or around the same age.

First time I've seen Goku was the first movie of Dragon Ball Z that was released in the 1990s on VHS tape. The funny yet embarrassing thing is me and others of my generation don't know terms like "anime", "manga", names of shows, names of characters. We go just by descriptions.

Goku: Long Black Hair Dude or Yellow Hair Dude
Dragon Ball Z: Kamehame ha movie tape or Kamehame ha tape

so you might imagine how kids and I back then argued...

ArabianLuffy: GREGORY! WHERE'S THE KAMEHAME HA TAPE?
Gregory: I DON'T HAVE IT! BILLY TOOK IT!

*Stupid yet Silly Kids' Fight*

Saudi Arabia since I born til...... I dunno til 2019 or 2016 barely started to be recognized by other investors of anime business. I lived an almost 20 or more years of dark age. I barely learned the term "anime" in 2001 or 02' or 03'. There were hardly Arabic Fansubs since the beginning of the 3rd millennium. Anime I watched when I was a kid like Plawres Sanshiro, Captain Tsubasa, Grendizer, Dinosaur Wars Izenborg. I used to call them "cartoons", even Dragon Ball Z first movie. I even thought the Arabic Dubbed anime were Saudi made anime or American made.

Do you know that there is no Middle East region network for Nintendo to this day? While XBOX and PlayStation networks supported and still supporting Middle East regions since the launch of X360 and PS3?

Fuck you, Nintendo.
jarring said:
I'm always curious how people got into it during the first big anime boom in the west.

That, you would need to ask every single 80s generation. There is a club in MAL for those who born between 1980 and 1989.
jarring said:
Like, I'd be super curious to know how Matt Greenfield and David Williams came across the medium. They are the true pioneers, and most of us wouldn't be here without them.

True.
Apr 4, 2020 5:09 PM

Aug 2016
As someone who got into anime in my early 20s I've never felt weird about watching anime just because of my age, and why should I? There is no age limit on enjoying a piece of media, and hell I know plenty of people around my age that also watch anime and even older.
Apr 4, 2020 6:38 PM

Sep 2018
That’s like saying someone’s too old to watch a movie. It’s just a medium of storytelling using animation.
Apr 4, 2020 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
You don't stop consuming other entertainment media either, so as long as it doesn't come from you, because you just don't feel like you want to watch anymore, but from society's standards, then no.
Except you think that in your 20s you aren't allowed to have fun anymore and that you should prepare your burial, because you are already so old, so you are going to face your last days soon.
Apr 4, 2020 7:01 PM

Aug 2018
I'll never stop loving anime. I grew up with it, it made me the person I am today, and I'm happy because of that.

Having that said, though, I get what you mean. To any long time anime viewers, and by long time, I mean decades worth, how do they feel about this medium they've watched evolve with the times? Watching new generations get introduced, do they feel a disconnection in any way?
Apr 4, 2020 7:07 PM

Jul 2015
Ahhh yes, I remember just five years ago when my huge college dorm room was filled with students watching Freezing. Five years later, I'm still watching anime. No biggie
Apr 4, 2020 7:57 PM
Apr 2020
Monochrosanity said:
No, it’s entertainment. Plus there’s always manga and anime being made for older demographics.

Right, this. There's anime geared for kids and anime geared more for adults which means as you grow older you can find genres that fit your interests. And then you get to recommend anime you used to watch when you were younger to, say your nieces or nephews. Cause it's fun watch'n anime!
Apr 4, 2020 8:02 PM
Jul 2018
trenchantbaka said:
Dude probably marked this whole forum as bad company and yeeted himself outta here.
operationvalkyri said:
Yes. We should drop anime when we hit 15.

Look now, he took your advise seriously.
If of all the advice here, mine is the one OP took, then they had already made up their mind to leave.
Apr 4, 2020 8:02 PM

Mar 2020
In my opinion, you’re never too old to enjoy something. I plan on watching anime as long as I’m enjoying it.
Apr 4, 2020 8:03 PM
May 2019
No you shouldn't start watching anime to being with, if you do it's downward spiral from there.
It's kinda like when you go past event horizon of a black hole there is no return only damnation.
Apr 4, 2020 10:28 PM
Feb 2020
Honestly, i think it depends on the person. whether you think that you're too old for anime and want to quit the anime community is completely your choice.. However, it really doesn't matter what age you are to watch anime, as there are thousands of "old" and "young" anime fans out there.
Apr 4, 2020 11:13 PM

Oct 2019
my uncle around fifty watches anime(he’s the cool uncle who likes cartoons and stuff), so although it may be awkward, just watch when you wanna watch and don’t watch when you don’t want to.
-_-
Apr 5, 2020 12:18 AM
Sep 2018
I've been watching since I was a kid. I'm 27 now with no intention of ever stopping...

So, no. Watch what you want until you don't like it anymore. Who cares what the world thinks.
Apr 5, 2020 3:58 AM
Jul 2018
No, I don't think so. Just like there is no age limit for hobbies or interests. The only thing stopping you from enjoying things is your imagination.

If you want to watch a cartoon aimed to small children, you absolutely can. There is no law preventing you from having fun.
Apr 5, 2020 4:05 AM

Nov 2019
I think no. I'll probably not watch as much as I did when I grow older but it's always fun to watch anime regardless of my age. Not all anime are for children or teens only anyway.

“𝕴 π–π–šπ–˜π–™ π–‘π–”π–“π–Œ 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖆 π–œπ–”π–—π–‘π–‰ π–Žπ–“ π–œπ–π–Žπ–ˆπ– π–”π–—π–‰π–Žπ–“π–†π–—π–ž π–™π–π–Žπ–“π–Œπ–˜ π–†π–—π–Š π–‰π–”π–“π–Š π–Žπ–“ 𝖆𝖓 π–”π–—π–‰π–Žπ–“π–†π–—π–ž π–œπ–†π–ž.”

--------βš–--------
π–†π–“π–Žπ–’π–Š π–‘π–Žπ–˜π–™
π–’π–†π–“π–Œπ–† π–‘π–Žπ–˜π–™
Apr 5, 2020 4:10 AM

Jun 2010
Absolutely, OP. I'm in my 20s but during my early 20s, I was having a hard time adjusting my hobbies in my free time. I used to stop watching animes for 2/3 years completely (except for manga, I'm an avid reader) because I felt like it was taking too much of my free time when I can be doing other productive things like other people who don't watch animes. But honestly, I realised that other people who don't watch animes are just like me. Some waste time on social media instead. So really, it's not that different from us. Recently I'm just getting started on watching some light stuff again. Also, rewatching some old school animes cuz that makes me feel better.

Although I do believe this won't stay the same forever. I believe people don't completely outgrew them, they just adjusted their watching habits according to their age and lifestyle. Some will absolutely stop. Some will still be fond of it, but not as serious as when they were younger.
Apr 5, 2020 4:11 AM
Dec 2017
Dunno, im at my 16's, im watching a shit ton of anime cause i want to see all the worth watching shows before quitting watching, the shit ones too, i dont think i'd like to watch shitty ecchi shows when im 20
Apr 5, 2020 4:52 AM

Dec 2018
You dont reallly get to old fort it, but once youve passed a certain age you should be too busy to have time for anime.
Apr 5, 2020 5:06 AM

Aug 2009
removed-user said:
Personally I feel a little disconnect looking at younger anime fans today as they are mostly kids and it feels awkward being still into anime at my age (early 20s).

When are we too old for anime? Or does it not matter? How do you overcome this feeling of awkwardness? Have you ever felt this way?

Also specifically, maybe not quit entirely but tone it down if that works?

There is no such thing as too old for anime. Sure you can grow bored of it.
Apr 5, 2020 1:16 PM

Jul 2019
Anime is looked down upon by people who haven't even tried it but I don't think there is an age where we should stop watching anime. Anime is for everyone except for the people who watch it in dub
Apr 5, 2020 2:04 PM

Jul 2014
Heck no. I like anime and I'll continue watching it until I no longer like it. If you were into reading books, would you stop just because of Dr. Seuss? To me, this line of thinking makes no sense.
Apr 5, 2020 4:22 PM

Apr 2020
Anime will die within a year now that Funimation is involved. Don't worry, the quality of anime has dropped significantly.
Apr 5, 2020 9:21 PM

May 2018
When the fuck did age have to do with watching anime? Just move on from the shitty 4Kids/4KMedia dubs...
29. It's literally my entire life besides working. I honestly couldn't live without it anymore...
Apr 5, 2020 10:41 PM

Apr 2020
stop watching when you lose interest, age shouldn't matter for a hobby.
le sigantyur e
Apr 5, 2020 10:47 PM
Γ‰milia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
No, but I don't think someone in it for a long time will be as intense as once they were. Seriously, have you considered the lack of innovation in the medium? Though some golden nuggets do appear from times to times, the stagnancy of its tropes and ambitions truly hurts one's mind, and pride.

Apr 5, 2020 10:50 PM

Mar 2012
when we're dead thats when we stop obviously
Apr 6, 2020 2:04 AM

Jan 2020
I believe we should quit anime when we're bored by it, age doesn't matter
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Apr 6, 2020 2:24 AM

Jun 2009
I thought when I hit my 20s I would quit anime for good. Turns out the reason I stop watching was because I gradually got busy with life. Now that Im free due to quarantine my interest in anime went up again, just like when I was in school.

Apr 6, 2020 2:25 AM

Jul 2019
early 20s is just a beginning for me.
Apr 6, 2020 2:59 AM

Jun 2019
I'm now 19, watching anime since I was 14 and it still enjoys me. So why should i end watching? Age doesn't really matters.
Apr 6, 2020 3:23 AM

Nov 2009
Yeah, at 31 I'm still as into it as ever. I've been watching since I was three and had a preference for Japanese cartoons before I even realized they were Japanese. If I've been watching for nearly three decades, there's not really a reason for me to stop. (To clarify, I've only been actively seeking out anime for about two decades, as I actually learned what anime was when I was around 10. I watched many anime before then, though, and most of my favorite childhood shows were anime.)

I don't have trouble connecting with high school anime and I frequently watch anime aimed at kids, so age has not really affected what I watch too much. My tastes have changed a bit over time, but there's still not much I specifically avoid watching.

(Granted I haven't been watching much the past couple weeks since I got a little burnt out in isolation, but I'm reading manga much more heavily than before to make up for it.)

As others have said, there is no age limit on your hobbies. Depending on your specific path, your tastes may change and you won't like it anymore, and they may change again and you'll like it again. You might not have time to watch if you work a demanding job or have a family, but then again the truly dedicated will find ways to work it in anyways. I don't think there is any reason to swear off anime at any point. If you don't want to watch, don't watch. If you decide you want to watch again, watch. It's much more simple than people make it out to be. We all go through phases, and that's a completely normal part of life.

Lolsebca said:
No, but I don't think someone in it for a long time will be as intense as once they were. Seriously, have you considered the lack of innovation in the medium?

This is completely dependent on the person. I've been watching for a pretty long time and I'm still pretty intense. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I still find plenty of innovation and enjoyment. The list of anime I'm excited to watch still is quite literally endless, as every season throws out many series that I'm interested in right on top of the pile of older shows I've yet to watch.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

36 by AxiaG »»
1 minute ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

32 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
14 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 8 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
15 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 6 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
18 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

17 by DesuMaiden »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.