Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2020 5:59 AM
Jul 2018
People used to say how they want anime to be mainstream and earn recognition a few years back, and here we are now. I think anime has in fact become more popular than it ever was, but with popularity comes a certain kind of expectation to which it should withhold. Meaning to cut away most of its tacky content in order to be more pleasant for international companies to sponsor them. Ofc exceptions are everywhere, but it does not seem as experimental and crazy as it once was from the looks of it. Many are playing it safer and following the trends that sell.

There is also the whole expanding of the fandom, as many people got interested into anime that wouldn't otherwise be. Which on its own leads to the obvious problems that arise once a niche explodes into the eye of the general public etc.

So are you happy that anime is mainstream today? Do you think it isn't yet? Whats the future of anime?
Apr 2, 2020 6:02 AM

Mar 2020
I think online streaming sites are making it more popular then ever now.
Apr 2, 2020 6:05 AM
Jul 2018
Damerino said:
I think online streaming sites are making it more popular then ever now.

Ofc that is one of the major factors as well.
Apr 2, 2020 6:11 AM

May 2009
Rero33 said:
Has anime become mainstream?
It's as mainstream as a number of other entertainment hobbies are. So basically yes, but with the caveat that "anime" is actually pretty darned big and has a huge number of niches, not all of which are mainstream.

Rero33 said:
People used to say how they want anime to be mainstream and earn recognition a few years back, and here we are now. I think anime has in fact become more popular than it ever was, but with popularity comes a certain kind of expectation to which it should withhold. Meaning to cut away most of its tacky content in order to be more pleasant for international companies to sponsor them. Ofc exceptions are everywhere, but it does not seem as experimental and crazy as it once was from the looks of it. Many are playing it safer and following the trends that sell.
If you're talking about anime following popular trends/fads and not being as "unique", then (1) you just haven't seen enough old stuff to notice the trends/fads back then, and (2) it's the domestic market for anime in Japan that has encouraged that inward-turned building on top of its own tropes repeatedly. There's no reason to "cut away" the "tacky content" -- the popularity of the medium, on the international stage, comes from its quirks and its being different from what other mediums have to offer. Instead, if there's anyone to blame for stuff like the isekai fad, then you should be blaming the domestic audience that's shown the inclination to spend money on such products.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 2, 2020 6:13 AM

Apr 2015
Now hopefully it can get rid of the more unsavory aspects of the medium so it can focus on what makes it worthwhile.
Apr 2, 2020 6:18 AM

Mar 2020
Yes and it’s a fact the otakus ruined anime but at the same time are also keeping it alive.
Apr 2, 2020 8:33 AM

Apr 2011
It's been mainstream since the late 70s here in Europe.
Apr 2, 2020 8:55 AM
Jul 2018
The fact that it's on the front page of Netflix and Prime Video tells me that yes, it's probably pretty damn mainstream.

IKKIsama said:
It's been mainstream since the late 70s here in Europe.

How did I know you were French just by reading that...

My dude, you couldn't find a manga on Portuguese shelves until like 2005.
And it was closer to 2015/2016 that it expanded to a decent amount of titles and actually started selling.

Nowadays you can't miss it. Exact same for anime. Even with DVDs and BDs seemingly falling out of favor, it's still freaking everywhere.

I won't even get started on merchandise because that has spread to such a ridiculous degree, that even the most mainstream of chains are riddled with figures, posters and key-chains.
Hell, even bloody pillows are on display now...
Apr 2, 2020 9:38 AM

Aug 2019
i hope i dont sound like a "pick me" kind of girl but many popular and attractive female creators online -egirls or whatever you wanna call them- are getting more vocal about them being into anime and that influences other people to get into it. nothing wrong with that though.

especially with social media, more people are making jokes and talking about anime. tik tok has tons of anime related content creators that have thousands of followers. more people talk it about it now. it's become less of a "weird kid" thing.
Apr 2, 2020 9:41 AM

Aug 2018
I wouldn't call it mainstream for now.. Because it's not being streamed at the main audience ("main stream").. Internet audience is more about gaming, it feels.. Or news, or kitties.. But anime is very popular, on the other hand.. And I think that with after a generation or two it'll be more considered as a normal hobby, when people will stop complaining about internet.. When our generations will become old generations, it'll be norm, really.. Old generations are used to other offline hobbies, more dependent on going outside or interacting with people more.. So they're afraid that we're getting bored, what would be with them really, in their time, if they would just stay home..
Apr 2, 2020 9:43 AM

Jun 2015
"Has my dick become mainstream?"
NO!

How many of these goddamn threads are we gonna have?
Read Toriko!
Apr 2, 2020 10:11 AM

Dec 2014
I am happy with anime being mainstream, when I started watching anime, it was the sort of hobby you would try to keep secret from others, and it would be so rare and cool to meet 'comrade'. Now, even the popular peoples watch and appreciate them, why would I complain? I am glad to see the anime culture gaining the recognition it deserves, it's something that must be sustained globally because for decades the industry barely managed to survive. Are there disadvantages? Sure... anime becoming mainstream ruined the community, at least the online one, I never had much contact with it offline. Back in the days places like those were fun to be part off, welcoming and friendly, now it's much toxicity that for every 2 days I spend here, I need to stay away 5, so I can purify my soul. The product itself didn't suffer that much. I don't care about Funimation and don't watch dubbed anime, so the political agenda that the SWJ neo-Nazi push does not affect me. If the subtitle sucks, I also have no problem to pirate the crap out of it... if Japan is bothered by me not paying for their shit, I invite them to make their own damn platform where they distribute their anime instead of selling the licenses to shitty American companies. Do Japanese play safer for the Western audience? Sorry but I fail to see it. The romance and fan service is still extremely pedophilic, the incest fetishes still go strong and from my point of view anime is still extremely unapologetic about itself. So it's fine. Did nothing change? Of course not, anime changed indeed, but not because it got mainstream in West, is more because it goes trough a less creative generation. At this point when it comes to new Manga and Light Novels, half of everything is Isekai, and the other half is the rest. It got so bad that there are entire magazines that publish mostly isekai. And that obviously changed anime a lot. If 10 years ago there was a lot of diversity in stories, now we are stuck with a very specific dominant genre. Before Isekai we had also gone trough a couple of moe years, so if you started watching anime in mid 2000's, it definitely feels different. If anime changed somehow, they changed almost a decade ago, so it's really to late to think about it.
Apr 2, 2020 10:16 AM

Feb 2010
I don't see anything about that has changed significantly in the last 10 years so idk, just seems like a typical case of making big statements for the sake of it without any real basis for them. So like most AD threads I already disagree with the premise.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 2, 2020 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
so many people still don't know there's anime on Netflix
Apr 2, 2020 10:57 AM

Oct 2017
Depends what you mean by mainstream while Hollywood is trying we aren't plastered around in Western entertainment. Influence sure is growing slowly but we still are a niche hobby.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
24 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 12 hours ago

47 by Piromysl »»
32 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
35 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

177 by Adnash »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

37 by Ex-Aid »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.