Forum Settings
Forums

Mediocre rated anime you love and think is actually damn good

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 31, 2020 1:54 PM

May 2016
Metropolis - the 2001 film, not that weird 4 minute short from 2009. This movie is a masterwork and it's always shocked me how little recognition it gets. Easily my second favorite anime film (beaten only by princess mononoke.)

Black Cat - a woefully underrated show that I highly recommend. I credit this show and Cowboy Bebop for making me take the plunge from filty casual to full-blown anime nerd.

Chi's Sweet Home - I include all it's sequels with this. My personal favorite short episode anime. If this show doesn't have you saying 'D'aww' every 7 minutes, you have a heart made of stone. Chi is the best anime cat of all time and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise!

Robotics;Notes - another underrated show. It may not be on the same level as it's big brother Steins;Gate, but it does a heck of a lot better job than Chaos;Head and Occultic;Nine. Honorable mention to Chaos;Child and its Seven-esque 'Whats in the box' moment.

Carried By the Wind: Tsukage Ran - this one surprised me. Went in with zero expectations and came out mightily impressed. A good watch, especially if you like Rorouni Kenshin and Samurai Champloo.
If you disagree with any thoughts or opinions expressed in the above post, you're wrong and I hate you forever!
Mar 31, 2020 2:01 PM

Aug 2012
manergi said:
I haven't seen even one person talk about Backstreet Girls: Gokudolls, but I think it's the funniest shit that has ever come out of Japan.

It takes setting in a yakuza trio that, rather than being killed and giving their organs, they made them choose to have a sex change surgery in Thailand, with the goal of making them the most popular idol group of Japan.

It shines in its cringiness, making every scene so uncomfortable to watch, so surreal, that makes me laugh out loud like no other anime ever even got closed to.

It also helps that the production of this anime's pretty low quality, having hardly any animation, while having its characters move in a very clunky way. The seiyuus are top notch, all of them fulfil their purpose, specially Jotaro, he's the man.

For this and more, this comedy will never leave my favourite list, not until they release a second season at least.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/36873/Back_Street_Girls__Gokudolls
manergi said:
I haven't seen even one person talk about Backstreet Girls: Gokudolls, but I think it's the funniest shit that has ever come out of Japan.

It takes setting in a yakuza trio that, rather than being killed and giving their organs, they made them choose to have a sex change surgery in Thailand, with the goal of making them the most popular idol group of Japan.

It shines in its cringiness, making every scene so uncomfortable to watch, so surreal, that makes me laugh out loud like no other anime ever even got closed to.

It also helps that the production of this anime's pretty low quality, having hardly any animation, while having its characters move in a very clunky way. The seiyuus are top notch, all of them fulfil their purpose, specially Jotaro, he's the man.

For this and more, this comedy will never leave my favourite list, not until they release a second season at least.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/36873/Back_Street_Girls__Gokudolls

Is the best comedy <33. Netflix please give us a 2nd season
Mar 31, 2020 2:06 PM

May 2016
WhosHaxz said:
5cm Per Second

7.83 to this masterpiece is a shame.

What kills 5cm's score is that it's second act is a little disappointing and 3rd act is downright anti-climactic. That said, act 1 is brilliant and a masterpiece. That it got mired by a mediocre middle and crappy end oeave a sour taste in the mouth, at least it did for me, which prolly affected people's score.
If you disagree with any thoughts or opinions expressed in the above post, you're wrong and I hate you forever!
Mar 31, 2020 2:14 PM

Sep 2018
Nefelupitou said:
WhosHaxz said:
5cm Per Second

Yes, I agree.

I don't know how Bysousoku 5 Senchimetoru has such a low score, I really cannot understand.

-

I'd say Koi wa Ameagari no You Ni

It's like an animated poem and its score is 7.58

I found it unbelievably boring. I appreciate the ambitious take on emotional distance and how in real life things sometimes just don't work out for no easily explainable reason. I get it, but what it boils down to as a piece of entertainment is a whole lot of not much happening until the conclusion. It was a pain to sit through.
Mar 31, 2020 2:30 PM

Dec 2017
Sailor Moon
Fushigi Yuugi
Ashita no Nadja
Kaitou Saint Tail
Digimon
Fancy Lala
Darwin's Game
Black Butler
Mermaid Melody
Mar 31, 2020 2:40 PM

Apr 2014
manergi said:

I haven't finished the whole series yet, but I loved every episode so far in that anime! It is very funny! XD I tried showing that anime to a few people, and every person I showed it to backed out because they thought it was too weird. It makes me very sad because this is a great anime to watch with a friend!
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Mar 31, 2020 2:42 PM

Apr 2014
Msjc said:
Sailor Moon
Fushigi Yuugi
Ashita no Nadja
Kaitou Saint Tail
Digimon
Fancy Lala
Darwin's Game
Black Butler
Mermaid Melody

Black Butler and Sailor Moon mediocre? Have you met these fandoms? e.e Not to mention that these are huge fanbases as well.... The fans will destroy you if you say anything negative.
Mar 31, 2020 3:03 PM

Jul 2019
Hoshiai no Sora and Tsuki ga Kirei. Both top tier animes that deserve to be considered masterpieces because they are masterpieces. Good stuff that is only rated 7
Mar 31, 2020 3:22 PM

Dec 2017
TobiOrNotTobi said:
Msjc said:
Sailor Moon
Fushigi Yuugi
Ashita no Nadja
Kaitou Saint Tail
Digimon
Fancy Lala
Darwin's Game
Black Butler
Mermaid Melody

Black Butler and Sailor Moon mediocre? Have you met these fandoms? e.e Not to mention that these are huge fanbases as well.... The fans will destroy you if you say anything negative.

I don't think that any of the animes I mentioned are mediocre. 7 doesn't do them justice
Mar 31, 2020 3:25 PM

Apr 2014
Msjc said:
TobiOrNotTobi said:

I don't think that any of the animes I mentioned are mediocre. 7 doesn't do them justice

I don't think they are considered mediocre either (at least Black Butler and Sailor Moon). I think the likes and dislikes of the shows are just based on preferences.
Mar 31, 2020 3:35 PM

Sep 2015
Nanbaka was THE funniest shit ever, I gave it a 9. Gets slammed everywhere, but I loved it.

I gave Mayoiga a pretty high score too, out of sheer enjoyment.
Mar 31, 2020 3:44 PM

Dec 2017
TobiOrNotTobi said:
Msjc said:

I don't think they are considered mediocre either (at least Black Butler and Sailor Moon). I think the likes and dislikes of the shows are just based on preferences.

You're right but, nevertheless, is an outrage how these two have such a low score, especially Sailor Moon
Mar 31, 2020 3:46 PM
Apr 2017
I may differ from most but I actually use the MAL rating system and in no way, shape or form does "7" equal mediocrity. Mediocre would be 5 (with a tendency towards 4) and I haven't yet watched a single anime wiht an average score that low that wasn't horrid beyond words.
Even considering that this is MAL and most users seem to be adverse to scoring anything lower than a 6 (unless it's a 1 "bcos fmab is in dangeah"), I wouldn't count a show with an average score of 7 as "mediocre" in the slightest.

6 might be a better place to start from. And I haven't watched anything scored a 6 on MAL that I could even finish, let alone appreciate. So the answer to the OP would be: "none".

Actually, I guess Iya na kao was far more hilarious than I'd anticipated given its score of 5.something but it still got a 2 in my book. Really hilarious, but hilarious garbage is still garbage.

WhosHaxz said:
5cm Per Second

Agreed, anything above 4 is well beyond criminal for that piece of "entertainment".
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Mar 31, 2020 3:53 PM

Aug 2010
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai, Re:Creators and Mousou Dairinrin are great animes and their scores don't reflect that.

Also, School Days and Happy Sugar Life are two creative and well constructed edgy stories that deserve more than 7.50 at least.
Mar 31, 2020 3:57 PM

May 2017
Samurai Flamenco was a great and rather unique show.

Sadly its score is only 6.93.

Mar 31, 2020 3:59 PM

Jun 2019
Msjc said:
Sailor Moon
Fushigi Yuugi
Ashita no Nadja
Kaitou Saint Tail
Digimon
Fancy Lala
Darwin's Game
Black Butler
Mermaid Melody

Most of these series have scores of over 7.5. I would not call that mediocre on any level.

edit: nvm I see you already discussed this, carry on
NickRedMachineMar 31, 2020 4:31 PM

Mar 31, 2020 5:36 PM
Jul 2018
I would love to answer this but mal's April fools bullshit is keeping me from looking at scores. I'll come back and edit this later if I remember.

Edit: DRAMAtical Murder (it's meme worthy)
Juuni Taisen
RobiHachi

Those are the ones under 7 that I enjoyed, even if ironically.
removed-userApr 2, 2020 3:31 PM
Mar 31, 2020 6:01 PM

Dec 2008
7+ is a pretty good score IMO. There's so many people rating these that you can't expect everyone to like it. Of course 8+ is amazing considering this but yeah. So, let's call 5-6 "mediocre" rated.

Stuff I've rated 9-10 where the average is 5-6 other than movies, specials:
Blue Drop - It's been a few years since I watched, but I remember it as a pretty good sci-fi yuri. A had a friend describe it as "boring" though.
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! - I have no idea why this is low rated. It's a pretty funny magical girl parody with great characters.
Element Hunters - This one is really good, I felt bad it didn't become popular at the time and I knew no one else willing to even watch it. I think people expect it to be Naruto because it was fansubbed by a Naruto fansubber, but it was way more like Power Rangers. The characters are A+++ and the major draw for me.
Happy Sugar Life - Just finished this one, and it should be obvious even to those who don't see it by the summary why it's controversial. I liked how it shook up the audience at every opportunity as it took on the "true love" trope.
Pokemon Best Wishes! Episode N - I can see why Best Wishes itself was rated low, it's freaking awful, but episode N was a pretty good take on Team Plasma. Though not the best we could have gotten, a breath of fresh air for gen 5 anime.

I don't pay that much attention to score though, and you shouldn't either. ;)
Mar 31, 2020 6:22 PM

Jan 2014
Not sure if 7+ counts as mediocre but i'm including low 7s:

Punchline: its rated 7.06 on MAL but i gave it a 9/10
Shounen Hollywood 2nd Season: MAL score of 6.60, i gave it an 8/10 (they're all so pretty and lovable)
Sore ga Seiyuu: rated 7.07 on MAL, i gave it an 8/10. not much of a difference there tbh lol

Mar 31, 2020 7:14 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
Fario-P said:
Haha, wow that's great! If you don't mind me asking, how was it? What did you think of it? I'm sure I can tell what the answer is from your second sentence, but... was it worth the watch in your opinion?

It was definitely worth the watch, although in a technical/literal sense I feel that about most things I watch unless they're outright atrocious which is seldom the case seeing as I'm pretty accurately proactively selective for my own tastes and interests in anime and every other medium.

As far as my estimation of it in a ratings sense, I'm waffling on the fence between a 7 and and an 8, although that's just in my mind as I haven't actually physically given it a rating yet on the site since several weeks ago I took the liberty of suspending my ratings of new series to allow time to take a breather and step back from the perspective of a regular viewer as I fear the tendency to lapse into hyper-critical mode otherwise which may start to adversely affect my enjoyment of anime and really, all art and entertainment. I plan to go back in maybe around six months and rate everything I've skipped rating for now retroactively to allow being removed from the material and the passage of time to inform a new perspective on it.

What I liked or loved:

What I disliked or hated:

I hope this will be sufficient, but let me know if you believe I've missed a lot or taken the series in a very different manner than yourself or something like that.

That's great to hear haha ♥

Honestly, your shuffling between 7 and 8 is exactly how I was when I watched Uta∽Kata nearly a year ago. Even now, I wonder if it's more like a 9 for me since I like it enough to recommend this anime to fellow MAL users a lot.
I haven't rewatched the series and the OVA since, but I will do so soon as I actually managed to find the complete collection DVD new a few months ago and bought it (it was a bit more expensive than I would've liked for 13 eps, but hey Sentai Filmworks stopped having this DVD on their site and I do like this show enough to consider supporting it, so why not? It also came with a few cool extras, which is rare for these anime releases :P)... maybe I'll have a more concrete rating once I re-watch this as well.

I liked a lot of the same things you liked too, though I do also agree that Ichika's friends from school and the Djinn needed more screentime/development. I doubt this anime will get any kind of remake in the future, considering the troupe that created this anime (gímik of Kiddy Grade fame) disbanded sometime last decade, but I would certainly be open to a modern remake/reboot that works on this aspect.

Personally, the only real thing I disliked about Uta∽Kata (and probably downright hate) is the fanservice. Yes, it's fairly light and is usually just brief panty shots, but I personally don't really care for ecchi/fanservice and it just made me cringe whenever it showed up. Sure, I didn't mind the OVA, but yeah it's pretty much the reason why I couldn't decide between a 7 or a 8 for a while, and why I definitely don't think it's a 10/10. If a remake somehow happens, I'd personally really love it if the fanservice was removed.

You can have whatever opinions you want, your thoughts were very interesting to read and they made sense to me from what I remember seeing in the show. I will admit that I am pretty glad that you liked Uta∽Kata too though, heheh xD
Fario-PMar 31, 2020 8:43 PM
Mar 31, 2020 7:55 PM

Oct 2018
SSSS.Gridman (MAL Score: 7.29) - I can see why it's score is so low, as the first half of it is pretty dull (unless you're into tokusatsu, which I'd imagine most people who've scored it, myself included, aren't), but once the series starts focusing on the plot and on Akane's character arc it becomes amazing.

Pokémon the 3rd Movie: Spell of the Unown (MAL Score: 7.13) - I loved so much about this movie. It has a unique and excellent villain, stakes that are both high and personal, and utilised the Pokémon and their battles in fun and creative ways.

O Maidens in Your Savage Season (MAL Score: 7.69) - This was one of the best anime of last year. The way it dealt with the awkwardness of its subject matter with a lot of emotional maturity while simultaneously making it hilarious was a joy to watch. I don't know if 7.69 would be considered a "mediocre" score or not, but I'm certainly surprised that this anime isn't at least above an 8.

I gave Gridman and Spell of the Unown 8s and O Maidens a 9. (my score deviation is -1.23)
7point8outof10Mar 31, 2020 7:59 PM
Don't you hate it when there's too much water?
Mar 31, 2020 7:58 PM

Mar 2017
SSSS.Gridman

Kemono Michi: Rise Up

Sounan Desu ka?: Are You Lost?
Mar 31, 2020 8:13 PM

Sep 2018
Seikon no Qwaser and Manyuu Hikenchou, loved them both. IIRC, they're around the 6.3 mark. I just finished Happy Sugar Life yesterday and thought it's better than 6.99 or whatever, a shame about that crappy ending though.
Mar 31, 2020 8:38 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
7point8outof10 said:
Pokémon the 3rd Movie: Spell of the Unown (MAL Score: 7.13) - I loved so much about this movie. It has a unique and excellent villain, stakes that are both high and personal, and utilised the Pokémon and their battles in fun and creative ways.
I agree with you so much! Pokémon The Movie 3 is tied with Pokémon Heroes for my personal favorite Pokémon movie.

It's sad that no one really talks about it when it comes to the Pokémon movies...
Mar 31, 2020 8:38 PM

Aug 2018
2020 and people still thinks that 7 is a bad score... we are doomed!
Mar 31, 2020 8:45 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
DaCraziGuy said:
2020 and people still thinks that 7 is a bad score... we are doomed!

I have a good feeling that it might have to do with the gaming community seeing 6/10 as a bad thing...
Fario-PMar 31, 2020 8:54 PM
Mar 31, 2020 8:59 PM

Jun 2012
Gyeferson said:

Also, School Days and Happy Sugar Life are two creative and well constructed edgy stories that deserve more than 7.50 at least.

Agreed. The anime community tends to lose its shit when presented with unlikeable protagonists.
Shoot first, think never.
Mar 31, 2020 9:07 PM
Mar 2020
I loved love tyrant, but is seems like a lot of people didn't like it. Another one would have to be love live, I feel like it gets a lot of negativity.
Mar 31, 2020 9:31 PM
Jul 2018
SSSS Gridman, as a kid who watches Ultraman every sunday morning, this show is something really really special for me, despite it having a 7.29 score on MAL
Mar 31, 2020 9:43 PM
Mar 2020
I loved love tyrant, but it didn't score to high. Also love live is really good, but I feel like a lot of people don't like it
Mar 31, 2020 10:46 PM
Aug 2014
Certainly Kiratto Pri☆chan with its 6.83 and following season, which currently doesn't even have enough users to receive an average score, but would also be below 7.

Pokemon Sun & Moon as well lands a disappointing 7.11 despite being great.
KonakanaMar 31, 2020 10:55 PM
Apr 1, 2020 1:18 AM

Jul 2017
lolechka04 said:
Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu
It was too wholesome and cute not to love it
I was so surprised Hitoribocchi never crept up into the low 8's, I thought it was so wonderful and charming.

Chuubyou Gekihatsu Boy is a criminally low-rated anime that I think is genuinely funny, with great animation to boot.
Apr 1, 2020 3:00 AM

Jul 2019
Gabriel Dropout, Demi-chan wa kataritai!, Killing Bites, Africa no Salaryman, Blood Lad, Dumbbell nan kilo moteru
Apr 1, 2020 7:55 AM

Jun 2015
Lots of fantastic OVAs get rated pretty low. A notable one for me is Take the X Train. It's such a crazy and unique film; unlike anything else in the medium.

💖 𝐼'𝓂 𝒽𝒶𝓎𝒹𝑒𝓃❣ 💖

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ 💝 𝒯𝓌𝒾𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 💝 𝒴𝑜𝓊𝒯𝓊𝒷𝑒 💝 ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆
💝 𝑀𝓎𝐹𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒞𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 💝
Apr 1, 2020 11:18 AM

Dec 2019
I really love Naruto, which is rated under 8. It's probably always going to be my favorite anime, even though there probably is better shows out there. It just holds a very special place and the first anime i ever watched, when i was a child and now rewatching it all. I just love the characters and music so much.

Apr 1, 2020 11:19 AM

Dec 2019
I love ''Orange'' and ''Cells at Work'' :)
Apr 1, 2020 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
what happened to the scores on this website? lol

Radiant is pretty good I guess.

First one that comes to mind though I think for me is Urahara, which I thought was much better than the 5 or 6 score it was getting.

Seems like I remember for the longest time, all it had for its top reviews were just 3s and 4s given to its first 3 episodes.

It's probably the best Moe anime to come out in the entire decade imo. IDK I guess moe is kind of an underappreciated genre so it's to be expected.
Apr 1, 2020 11:56 AM

Sep 2017
Paranoia Agent-cant see the rating because of the april fool prank but i remember it being 7.7 something, highly under rated.
Apr 1, 2020 12:25 PM

Feb 2020
I woouldn't say that it is that good, but I really liked Garakowa when I was expecting to dislike it due to the score. It has its flaws, but it's still a good experience.
There is also Happy Sugar Life, I find it sad that people rate it low due to being "edgy" because I felt like that while there are some very questionable things, there are also interesting ideas and topics that were explored very well.
Apr 1, 2020 4:29 PM

Feb 2019
White Album 2 is a masterpiece.

Kiss x Sis
Sono Hana
Yosuga no Sora

to add a few more to the list.
Apr 1, 2020 4:31 PM

Nov 2019
Show by Rock. Absolute blast watching the entire thing. Characters were incredibly dynamic, the world is a place I generally prefer to live in, the usage of CGI was brilliant and honestly, I watched it at a time I needed it's inspiration the most. Sure, there are some corny moments here and there, but overall it was extremely well presented.
Apr 1, 2020 4:41 PM
Feb 2020
Angolmois: Genkou Kassenki, or, Record of Mongol Invasion.

This show was AWESOME. Yet its rated at a 6, and probably will never see another season. I really enjoyed the main character who’s name is slipping my mind at the moment, and the side characters and betrayals were really good too.

If anyone else has seen this show, what made you not enjoy it? I gave it a 7 or 8 I believe.
Apr 1, 2020 5:43 PM

May 2019
ChäoS;HEAd

I feel that this is pretty underrated, or maybe I just have shit taste.

Apr 2, 2020 1:56 AM

Apr 2020
I enjoyed Nerawareta Gakuen. It was beautiful.
Keep it simple, stupid.
Apr 2, 2020 1:57 AM

Apr 2020
LeoEarlSpilner said:
Little Busters! got scored 7.56. It has colorful characters and a good story about friendship.

Agreed, Little Busters was so fun and heartwarming!
Keep it simple, stupid.
Apr 2, 2020 2:23 AM
Dec 2017
Rokka no yuusha and boogiepop for me... Well I guess most people don't like it
Apr 2, 2020 2:35 AM

Mar 2016
Bananaya

I think I was in a very good mood when I rated it a 9. But honestly, I roll with it. I'm somewhat offended by its average rating of a mere 6.76, but I'm also not really surprised.

It's the most wholesome show in the world.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Apr 2, 2020 2:37 AM
Feb 2008
___alex___ said:

think anime that is ranked like 5- 6-7. not 8-9 or 1-4.

If we're talking about MAL scores, then I would consider a mean of around 6.5-7.5 to be mediocre. Below that would be trending towards being regarded as a bad anime rather than mediocre. Very few anime on the site have an average score of 5 or below and those that do are notoriously terrible.
Apr 2, 2020 2:45 AM

Aug 2019
Wangan Midnight (7.47)
ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka (7.7)
Hakumei to Mikochi (7.65)
Tonari no Seki-kun (7.63)
3D Kanojo: Real Girl (6.78)
HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun suru (6.39)
Tales of Zestiria the Cross (7.39)
Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu (7.58)
Apr 2, 2020 2:57 AM

Jan 2020
Mirai Nikki.

Don't think it's amazing but I enjoyed it. Lot of people didn't though. And I can understand why. This anime is basically porn but with blood. Who cares about the plot.
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

56 by Caleb_Zero2 »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

50 by Jackson1333 »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 1 hour ago

12 by Lijm04 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

56 by MadanielFL »»
14 minutes ago

» Can Anime Elves Become Overweight ?

tchitchouan - 2 hours ago

11 by Theo1899 »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.