Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san' Gets Anime

New
Mar 30, 2020 8:34 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
An anime adaptation of Aiko Koyama's Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san (The caterer at the Maiko Manor) manga was announced by NHK on Tuesday. The broadcaster also revealed a promotional video.

Synopsis
Within the winding streets of Kyoto's geisha district, there lives a 16-year-old girl named Kiyo. After failing to become a Maiko, an apprentice traditional Japanese performer, Kiyo works as the caterer for her troupe. This is the story of her daily life. (Source: MU)

The slice of life manga has been serialized in Shounen Sunday since December 2016. Shogakukan began printing the series through its Shounen Sunday Comics Special label in April 2017 and published the 13th volume on March 12. The manga has a cumulative 1 million copies of its compiled volumes in circulation.

Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san won the 65th Shogakukan Manga Award in the Shounen division this January.

PV

Manga official page: https://websunday.net/rensai/maikosan/

Source: Anime Recorder

Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san on MAL
VindstotOct 7, 2020 9:08 PM

Mar 30, 2020 9:14 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Not a bad looking PV at all... and that manga cover and the one scene in the PV makes me think it'll have cooking. I sure hope there's cooking :D

Looks like it'll be CG, but hey I'm willing to check this out. I can't say I know of too many anime with geisha/maiko in it.
Mar 30, 2020 10:07 PM
Jan 2018
That PV has a ton of personality.
I'm gonna guess it's Studio Yaoyorozu, since it looks a lot like Kemurikusa.
Mar 30, 2020 10:18 PM

Jun 2014
The manga is great and a hidden gem. The anime looks like cheap CG shit unfortunately. How the fuck does Komi-san not have an anime announcement already? Get your shit together Weekly Shonen Sunday, it's ridiculous how everything else is getting adapted.
alpha_shadowMar 30, 2020 10:21 PM
:3
Mar 30, 2020 11:30 PM
Apr 2015
seinen and slice of life, the oasis of an old man like me
Mar 30, 2020 11:54 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
hu74n said:
seinen and slice of life, the oasis of an old man like me
it's actually shonen tho...

The slice of life manga has been serialized in Shounen Sunday since December 2016. Shogakukan began printing the series through its Shounen Sunday Comics Special label in April 2017 and published the 13th volume on March 12. The manga has a cumulative 1 million copies of its compiled volumes in circulation.

Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san won the 65th Shogakukan Manga Award in the Shounen division this January.
Mar 31, 2020 1:18 AM

Jul 2017
I have a feeling this might be a little warm and a little melancholy, crossing my fingers that it proves to be true! It's a really interesting animation style as well, definitely going to keep an eye out for new info on this one.
Mar 31, 2020 1:39 AM

Apr 2012
I warn in advance those who want to follow this CGDCT because of the any yuri potential: both girls are in love with one boy and the whole romance subplot is limited to this.
Mar 31, 2020 1:48 AM
Jul 2018
I’m a bit conflicted on this one... It looks so nice, but I don’t want to watch if there’s any romance involving a dude... Guess, I’ll have to read manga to decide
Mar 31, 2020 2:27 AM
Mar 2020
Fario-P said:
it's actually shonen tho...

its so slow paced its hard to believe it was published in a shonen magazine.

good and unexpected news btw.
Mar 31, 2020 4:16 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
I warn in advance those who want to follow this CGDCT because of the any yuri potential: both girls are in love with one boy and the whole romance subplot is limited to this.

umm.. worng! tho yes, no yuri chance.

ysphyr said:
I’m a bit conflicted on this one... It looks so nice, but I don’t want to watch if there’s any romance involving a dude... Guess, I’ll have to read manga to decide

there is a male character and yes the romance sub plot will be there if they adapt far enough that is, but his role is minimal.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 31, 2020 4:21 AM
Jul 2018
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:

ysphyr said:

there is a male character and yes the romance sub plot will be there if they adapt far enough that is, but his role is minimal.

I’m still disappointed it has romance in it... I thought it was a cute SoL story. I’m not ready to handle a love triangle
Mar 31, 2020 4:29 AM

Mar 2015
ysphyr said:
Kuma said:

I’m still disappointed it has romance in it... I thought it was a cute SoL story. I’m not ready to handle a love triangle

there is like 3 chapter out of 100 chapter has romance tease on it, the rest is cooking cute SOL story. if you really didn't want it, you can skip it, here the summary for it "romance" (if that even count, lOl)

the adaptation could skip it completely and nothing change. they are hundreds kilometers apart, lOl.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 31, 2020 4:32 AM
Jul 2018
Kuma said:
ysphyr said:

there is like 3 chapter out of 100 chapter has romance tease on it, the rest is cooking cute SOL story. if you really didn't want it, you can skip it, here the summary for it "romance" (if that even count, lOl)

the adaptation could skip it completely and nothing change. they are hundreds kilometers apart, lOl.

Ok, you’ve convinced me, my friend! That sounds harmless, I’ll give it a try. Thanks!
Mar 31, 2020 4:37 AM

Dec 2018
I was interested at first, But after hearing all the talk about romance in this Im out. I've only watch and accept lesbian love in my anime , the rest doesn't suit my personal taste very well

Yuri-CrusaderMar 31, 2020 4:47 AM
Mar 31, 2020 5:34 AM

Apr 2012
ysphyr said:
Kuma said:

Ok, you’ve convinced me, my friend! That sounds harmless, I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

You said that you only don't like ugly boys. This boy is drawn in exactly the same moe style. But now you say that you do not like the idea of ​​romance with a male in such a show in principle. Even calling the "harmless" opportunity not to see it in the anime. What a hypocrisy.

@Kuma So "not count" that the manga from time to time reminds of this and in one chapter the girls even specifically try to cook something for him. Before he appeared, yuri fans called even lesser between two girls an important subtext.
RobertBobertMar 31, 2020 5:37 AM
Mar 31, 2020 6:53 AM

Mar 2015
RobertBobert said:
@Kuma So "not count" that the manga from time to time reminds of this and in one chapter the girls even specifically try to cook something for him. Before he appeared, yuri fans called even lesser between two girls an important subtext.

no need to be that personal. people have preference you know. yes, shipping is cancer, but as long not "fuck the author" things, i don't care much.
Mar 31, 2020 7:36 AM

Apr 2012
Kuma said:
RobertBobert said:

no need to be that personal. people have preference you know. yes, shipping is cancer, but as long not "fuck the author" things, i don't care much.

I’m just tired of watching people toxicly insult characters or tropes because the show doesn’t match their fetish attitude towards the anime. For example, the recent hatred of people for Seton's Jin, as it prevents them from fantasizing about this show as yuri anime.
Mar 31, 2020 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
@RobertBobert
I wanted to read/watch it because I thought it was a nice SoL like Amaama to Inazuma. Of course I grew suspicious of all the talks about the apparent love triangle - not because of my opinion on anime guys, but because I don't want any love drama. That's it. And don't try to accuse me of "hypocrisy" when there was none.
Mar 31, 2020 12:39 PM

Apr 2012
ysphyr said:
@RobertBobert
I wanted to read/watch it because I thought it was a nice SoL like Amaama to Inazuma. Of course I grew suspicious of all the talks about the apparent love triangle - not because of my opinion on anime guys, but because I don't want any love drama. That's it. And don't try to accuse me of "hypocrisy" when there was none.

Again, when I mentioned that there is straight romance here, you started complaining about romance itself in general, and only then you said something about the love triangle. As if it was said only for the cover. When people don’t want too much drama, they say “oh, I don’t want too much drama in this show,” and they don’t start talking about romance itself and how they want the show to be a cute girls zoo.

Oh, did you like Amaama to Inazuma? But there was an “ugly male lead” and subtle age gap romance. How could you watch this ?!
Mar 31, 2020 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:
ysphyr said:
@RobertBobert

Again, when I mentioned that there is straight romance here, you started complaining about romance itself in general, and only then you said something about the love triangle. As if it was said only for the cover. When people don’t want too much drama, they say “oh, I don’t want too much drama in this show,” and they don’t start talking about romance itself and how they want the show to be a cute girls zoo.

Oh, did you like Amaama to Inazuma? But there was an “ugly male lead” and subtle age gap romance. How could you watch this ?!

You are absolutely insufferable. As always I regret replying to any nonsence you are posting here. Won't make that mistake ever again.
Mar 31, 2020 12:54 PM

Apr 2012
ysphyr said:
RobertBobert said:

You are absolutely insufferable. As always I regret replying to any nonsence you are posting here. Won't make that mistake ever again.

I could say "what was required to prove", but to be honest, I was surprised that you could not even answer such a simple question. That says a lot.
RobertBobertMar 31, 2020 1:13 PM
Mar 31, 2020 5:01 PM
Oct 2019
What are your guys' opinion on this manga? Do you think it's worth the read?
Mar 31, 2020 6:25 PM

Dec 2009
Incoming another anime that will probably only be used as one season for promotion and die off years before the manga is completed.
Mar 31, 2020 6:32 PM
Mar 2020
Lol_man000 said:
What are your guys' opinion on this manga? Do you think it's worth the read?

if you like soothing slices of life and japanese culture, yeah its
Apr 1, 2020 10:31 AM

May 2015
I like the manga, but I wasn’t expecting it to be CG. A series like this didn’t need to be CG to be honest.

I will check it out to see how it goes... I can see this being a short (12 minutes) series.

P.S. I'm still mad at Shounen Sunday for never green-light an adaptation of Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai... That was low and a waste opportunity... That series would have made an excellent slide of life/comedy show if given the chance.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
3 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
4 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.