Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 30, 2020 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
This issue is kind of hard to explain. Summarizing everything in the best way I can, I'll say that the KonoSuba movie is missing a decent amount of characters. I went to add a prominent character from the movie (Sylvia), but apparently they already exist on the MAL database (and yet their character profile can't be accessed). It's strange. But now I'm scared to add a new character entry to the site because MAL says they exist on the site (even though their page is non-existent).

There are indicators that the character does exist on MAL, but there are tons of indicators that the character doesn't exist on MAL.

Here's the complex thread of images and commentary. I tried organizing it in an easy to read manner but it is arguably difficult to read.

How come -- when I try to add the character Sylvia -- I'm halted with a list of other characters on MAL named Sylvia -- and the Sylvia from KonoSuba is in that list? Someone appears to have already added her to the MAL database, even including her kanji name and a character description. And yet when searching the characters on the database, they can't be found?

In the end, can someone just add Sylvia to the character list of the KonoSuba movie?
Mar 30, 2020 11:54 AM
Mar 30, 2020 1:07 PM
Nov 2019
Got the same thing when I wanted to add a character too.

I might be out of topic but could you add Ibara Saegusa in Ensemble Stars!? I have been waited so long to see him on the character list and he is the only one missing.
Mar 30, 2020 1:10 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I am familiar with the situation you are describing, so I’ll try to explain what is happening, so you are better equipped for the future.

When characters are submitted to the database, they must first be reviewed by a moderator before they are listed with an anime or searchable on the website. However, once submitted, an ID is reserved for them, so when you go to submit a character and see the list of ‘Similarly Named Characters’, it will show those still in the queue. A way to avoid making duplicate character submissions is to use the ‘Add Voice Actor Role’ feature on any person page. When you search for an anime, it will display a list of all of the characters in it, both approved and pending.

Because items in the queue are not easily viewable to the public, popular things can be resubmitted many times. Believe me, we’ve all done this at one point or another, so don’t worry too much about it. Hopefully this clears up your questions, but feel free to let me know if there is anything else you need clarification with.
Mar 31, 2020 8:25 AM
Jul 2018
Kwanthemaster said:
I am familiar with the situation you are describing, so I’ll try to explain what is happening, so you are better equipped for the future.

When characters are submitted to the database, they must first be reviewed by a moderator before they are listed with an anime or searchable on the website. However, once submitted, an ID is reserved for them, so when you go to submit a character and see the list of ‘Similarly Named Characters’, it will show those still in the queue. A way to avoid making duplicate character submissions is to use the ‘Add Voice Actor Role’ feature on any person page. When you search for an anime, it will display a list of all of the characters in it, both approved and pending.

Because items in the queue are not easily viewable to the public, popular things can be resubmitted many times. Believe me, we’ve all done this at one point or another, so don’t worry too much about it. Hopefully this clears up your questions, but feel free to let me know if there is anything else you need clarification with.

Damn what a perfect explanation. Thanks man. Seems you knew exactly what I was talking about in my long, complicated tangent. Yeah that answers all my questions. So when adding a character in the future, I guess I won't be alarmed if their name pops up in the queue but doesn't actually have a searchable page. They were assigned a (non-public) ID because someone ELSE submitted a request for review. And the entry is most likely in a PENDING state. (I sure hope when this happens, the pending entry I see hasn't been indefinitely pending. In other words, the "Sylvia" profile I encountered -- I hope it was a recent suggestion and hasn't been in a limbo for months, lol.)

And I see how the 'Add Voice Actor Role' character list can be of use when this kind of issue occurs. That's a really nifty alternative-use for it.

Lmao, there's a dozen Rins. I think your screenshot is what put an end to all of my worries though. I guess no one will hold it against me if I accidentally suggest the addition of a popular character that's already been submitted because clearly it happens often.

Anyways, thanks again. That was a stressful rabbit hole I fell into. So glad someone else on MAL experienced the issue AND knows all about it.
Mar 31, 2020 8:28 AM
Jul 2018

Yayyy, I (possibly) influenced a mod to accept a character entry! Arigato Lek-chan.
Mar 31, 2020 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
Shiney said:
I might be out of topic but could you add Ibara Saegusa in Ensemble Stars!? I have been waited so long to see him on the character list and he is the only one missing.

Did you try the "Add Character" feature on the "Characters & Voice Actors" page? You'd have to enter the name, affiliated anime, and a bio of the character, and then wait for a staff member's approval. I think they're very strict about the thumbnail pictures, though.

More topics from this board

» MAL Export

Devileeee - Sep 25, 2023

3 by zororo12 »»
Yesterday, 3:52 AM

» Problem with API OAuth2 Authentication Login

bidgetfoss_4000 - Yesterday

0 by bidgetfoss_4000 »»
Yesterday, 3:44 AM

» Question about parental consent

AverageRiceFan - Apr 16

1 by CareBear »»
Yesterday, 2:55 AM

» On my profile I got the wrong number of total episodes/total time

GamiKhan - Apr 22

2 by GamiKhan »»
Apr 22, 2:58 PM

Sticky: » Advertisement Complaint Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 22, 2016

464 by traed »»
Apr 22, 2:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.