Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
In/Spectre
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 28, 2020 7:38 PM
May 2016
I see so many complaints about dialogue, but I only kinda get it. too much dialogue can be trouble depending on the series. This series is based around dialogue though, like a lot of mystery series tend to sometimes be.

The dialogue is part of the fun, part of the charm, and gives detailed view into the each characters' thought process. Still only on episode 10, but I got annoyed by comment complaining about how much talking there was an that the episode was pointless, but it's essentially a battle of dialogue, thus there's going to be a lot of dialogue.

It's something I find unique about the series, that it's presented like a supernatural mystery, but rather than simply solving a mystery, it's about creating an answer that sounds perfectly reasonable to someone else, convincing them that the lie is what's true, because no matter what's actually true, people believe what they want to believe.

If you think there's too much dialogue, that's fine, the series just isn't for you, but in that case, I think while you can dislike it for it's over abundance of dialogue(I've honestly considered switching to the manga so I can go at my own pace), I would recommend not going overboard if that's okay.

ya know, I mean, just don't get mad, get mildly annoyed. It's not offensive to have so much dialogue, and it's not brain dead like (insert series you hate here), it's just more logic based, and trying to help the audience along.

I know "show, don't tell" is a rule, but it's not necessarily an absolute. Its better to show the stakes rather than tell us the stakes, but again, sometimes it's better to tell, because if you show everything, that can be a detriment to a series as well, you have to think about what's worth showing, and what's worth telling, and if there'd be more impact showing something vs telling something.

Dialogue can also be very interesting, picking apart specific wording, looking at subtext, finding what the statement says about a character, or just getting inside that person's head, something that is hard to visualize.

Thank you for reading my tangent, this has just been bugging me. Good night
Mar 29, 2020 2:19 PM

Feb 2010
It's because Mal is full of action show junkies that can't sit through a show like this if there life depended on it. honestly this show has just about as much dialogue as monogatari and that was monogatari's big selling point.
GrimAtramentMar 29, 2020 5:11 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Mar 29, 2020 4:05 PM
May 2016
hazarddex said:
It's because Mal is full of action show junkies that can't sit through a show like this if there life depended on it. honestly this show as just about as much dialogue as monogatari and that was monogatari's big selling point.

it doesn't help that so many of them think they're so smart, I see top reviews of shows where someone looks at the most basic elements of a series, and doesn't consider emotional investment or worse, anything below the surface, but because they tried to sound smart, or sound like they know what they're talking about, they end up getting top review
Mar 29, 2020 4:23 PM

Sep 2017
This anime has its flaws, of course, but I too think people are a bit too harsh towards Kyokou Suiri

Personally I don't mind long dialogues (even if the entire episode consists of dialogues, actually) so this anime was pretty enjoyable, I just regretted there weren't more youkai involved
But the whole Nanase Karin "battle" was pretty entertaining
Mar 30, 2020 10:53 AM
Jan 2016
hazarddex said:
It's because Mal is full of action show junkies that can't sit through a show like this if there life depended on it. honestly this show has just about as much dialogue as monogatari and that was monogatari's big selling point.

I don't think this show's dialogue was anywhere close to the level of entertainment that Monogatari's had. The OST and visuals of this show during such dialogue doesn't compare either. the dialogue itself isn't bad, the writing is quite good ion the contrary, the issue is the delivery.....it's just not interesting. The characters aren't interesting either, so hearing them talk to each-other isn't entertaining either. Kuro is an emo, and iwanaga is a tsundere, and that is the bulk of their character. The way the story is told is just not that interesting.
Mar 30, 2020 1:17 PM
May 2016
SenpaiMars-Barz said:
hazarddex said:

I don't think this show's dialogue was anywhere close to the level of entertainment that Monogatari's had. The OST and visuals of this show during such dialogue doesn't compare either. the dialogue itself isn't bad, the writing is quite good ion the contrary, the issue is the delivery.....it's just not interesting. The characters aren't interesting either, so hearing them talk to each-other isn't entertaining either. Kuro is an emo, and iwanaga is a tsundere, and that is the bulk of their character. The way the story is told is just not that interesting.

I don't think you know who Kuro and Iwanaga are? Especially Iwanaga, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the wrong series. Iwanaga as a character has more incommon with someone like Sherlock homes than any Tsundere I've ever seen Kuro has his moments of Emo, but he's generally a normal dude(personality wise), the Watson of the pair as it may.
Mar 30, 2020 2:00 PM
Nov 2016
What SenpaiMars said, except the tsundere part. The overall show and dialogue, visuals, ost are just not interesting enough.
Monogatari series is my favorite anime 10/10. I also love Visual Novels aka i don't mind lots of text.
But Kyokou Suiri is a 5/10 at best. Ep 9-11 felt like boring filler and almost made me drop this show. Until ep 7 or so this was a good 8/10 but the Steel Lady arc was terrible.
Ep 12 was alright too though. If they'd have fused ep 8-11 into two eps (8&9) and ended it with ep 10 (former ep 12), i'd give it the 8/10 rating.
Mar 30, 2020 7:13 PM

Feb 2010
SenpaiMars-Barz said:
hazarddex said:

are we watching the same anime because Iwanaga is not even close to being tsundere.
tusndere are not blunt and straight forward about the guys they like.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Mar 30, 2020 8:40 PM
Jan 2016
hazarddex said:
SenpaiMars-Barz said:

are we watching the same anime because Iwanaga is not even close to being tsundere.
tusndere are not blunt and straight forward about the guys they like.

I mean like how she always tries to come off logical and calculating even when she obviously wants to give an emotional response. Tsundere might not have been the most on the nose adjective, I admit.
Mar 31, 2020 4:02 AM
Sep 2017
Kyokou Suiri is a case where the higher the watcher’s IQ is, the more they’ll enjoy it. Not because the show itself is smart or flawless (real masterpieces appeal to both the mass and the elitist consumer), but exactly because it’s flawed. To be precise, its flaws are easy to point out, but its strong parts are unobvious. A mouth-breather would dislike it just for people talking a lot, a midwit would scoff at things like “exposition reiterating the same point multiple times” (which IS a bad thing for a story to do), but a smart person would appreciate how cleverly the story turns the standard mystery show structure on its head and how organic the relationships between the characters are.
Mar 31, 2020 5:25 PM
Nov 2016
Lol. Get a load of this guy. This show isn't witty, interesting and smart enough to play in the same league as masterpieces such as Monogatari Series or SNAFU. Get over it.
"The higher the watchers IQ". Get real.This only works as long as only battle shounen fans criticise this show. But goes right out of the window as soon as people compare it to shows that do a way better job at what Kyukou Suiri is trying to do..
Mar 31, 2020 7:04 PM
May 2016
BlueSnow93 said:
Lol. Get a load of this guy. This show isn't witty, interesting and smart enough to play in the same league as masterpieces such as Monogatari Series or SNAFU. Get over it.
"The higher the watchers IQ". Get real.This only works as long as only battle shounen fans criticise this show. But goes right out of the window as soon as people compare it to shows that do a way better job at what Kyukou Suiri is trying to do..

Can you elaborate on that comparison than, or are you going to argue without an actual argument?

though in all seriousness, those were some strong arguments, but you really didn't support any of them, you just kind of insulted the previous person.
NG_ChloeMar 31, 2020 7:15 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

155 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 29, 2020

70 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2020

66 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2020

88 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2020

110 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 6, 5:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.