Forum Settings
Forums

Does CGI anime really deserve the hate it gets?

New
Mar 28, 2020 10:19 AM
May 2017
I would like people's honest opinions on this, but after watching a fair amount of shows that rely a lot on CGI like Land of the Lustrous, Knights of Sidonia and very recently Beastars. It makes me wonder whether CGI shouldn't be hated as much as it should. True there are still anime's with CGI that aren't great, but I feel like CGI anime is slowly improving and shouldn't be hated as much.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 28, 2020 11:14 AM

Jan 2012
Cgi can be good if just utilized well. Dorohedoro is a very good example of a show that has a quite good use of cgi that also mix well with 2d moments. And the characters stays in model quite good in both versions.

But then there a shows like Kengen Ashura were the combination is not as good. While the cgi works very well in fights it does not when characters talk with each other. And the characters models for some look completely different from their 3d and 2d perspective.
How I love a game
Mar 28, 2020 11:20 AM
May 2017
Zack312 said:
Cgi can be good if just utilized well. Dorohedoro is a very good example of a show that has a quite good use of cgi that also mix well with 2d moments. And the characters stays in model quite good in both versions.

But then there a shows like Kengen Ashura were the combination is not as good. While the cgi works very well in fights it does not when characters talk with each other. And the characters models for some look completely different from their 3d and 2d perspective.
Yes utilising it well is something that is certainly noticeable, there’s a reason Land of the Lustrous and Beastars are done very well since they were adapted by the same studio
Mar 28, 2020 12:32 PM

May 2009
Thread moved from the Anime DB board.
Mar 28, 2020 12:37 PM

May 2018
It's kind of simple.

Bad CGI deserves hate, good CGI deserves praise. We have both in anime.

PS
Knights of Sidonia is an example of CGI I don't like, especially the movements and the gestures.
Mar 28, 2020 12:40 PM

Jul 2017
People are just being tsundere. Most people actually creamed their pants seeing Kingdom and Overlord S3 CG.

Mar 28, 2020 12:43 PM

Apr 2015
No, as there are some really good CGI anime out there. For example, I can't imagine Houseki no Kuni without the CGI, I don't think it'd capture how the characters are gem's very well.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 28, 2020 12:44 PM

May 2016
While there are a lot of lousy and outright terrible execution of 3D CGI in a lot of shows that aren't primarily done in CGI, there are definitely some standouts I've enjoyed like Sidonia and the Berserk movies so I can agree that anything 3D CGI shouldn't be automatically considered as bad just because of that.

Mar 28, 2020 12:56 PM

Oct 2018
From the thread you guys have named 3 of the best shows CGI animation has to offer. What about the others?

Kengan was pretty bad
Ajin looked pretty bad,
Berserk was pretty bad
Golden Kamuy was very bad
Levius was not the greatest

I mean studios are have been experimenting with CGI and have been getting better at using this type of animation so it will get better in the future, just not atm.
youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
Mar 28, 2020 12:58 PM

Jun 2017
Honestly in most cases? i (personally) dont think it deserves it. Not just because there are some beautiful series (i also loved lustrous and beastars) The amount of times ive seen endless reviews, comments on an episode or freak outs over a short PV before a series is out mentioning The Awful Cancerous CGI? annoyingly endless. Of course not everyone words it like that but it all boils down the same to me.

I really dont get what the big deal is unless its straight up really bad the entire time (berserk 2016 didnt deserve that lol the writing wasnt Too bad though for the most part, but really? someone finally decides to adapt the series past The Golden Age TM and u frick it up with really stiff CG and sound effects? rip, the movies at the very least looked great so what! was going on)

Back on topic, like?? a few second shot of a automobile or ship or something being in CG is enough for groans and complaints, its bewildering to me, and most of the time doesnt even look Bad, i always thought maybe people were just getting angry bc its becoming more common and there's this underlying fear 2d will start to get stepped away from, but i think that's far away if ever and honestly by then technology will advice and itll probably look great anyway lol but i understand the love of 2d and in most cases would be just fine not putting a foot toward cg, but i dont think it deserves the hate it gets in a general case, sometimes i even like the little additions.

And if we're just talking full CGI shows, i do agree in certain ways with complaints, but more towards the lack of style and personality, a lot of regular full CG shows literally look the Same, and that's my problem lol. i think everything can be summed up to: effort and budget, there would be less complaints towards it if more time was put into it. But as a concept, and minor usage, i think the general hate is a little over the top.
Mar 28, 2020 1:02 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
to answer your question - yes, it definitely deserves the hate that it gets, for the most part it is utilized very poorly in anime, as a means to conserve budget at the cost of taking the viewer out of the experience and possibly making their eyes bleed.
as a fan of anime in this day and age, i can't say that there is a trend i hate more then 3d CGI models replacing classic animation, and you could probably find a lot of other issues with current anime while cruising these forums.
having said that, i agree that it can be done better and sometimes is, but in my humble opinion, examples like the ones you mentioned are mere outliers, and not indicators for the overall phenomenon.
Mar 28, 2020 1:04 PM

Oct 2017
I've seen the exact same three that OP mentioned, and yeah, they're really amazing shows.

I'm just the niche kind of person that doesn't judge an anime by its animation (unless it looks like sandpaper). I've seen many well-written shows from lone artists/writers, and sure the animation isn't Ufotable tier but that doesn't mean it's bad smh.
Mar 28, 2020 1:07 PM

Aug 2018
The use of CG is understandable when it comes to scenes with large crowds and stuff like that even though it usually looks pretty awkward. Some effort should be made to cover up the awkwardness. Re:Zero does a pretty good job of CG crowds. On the other hand there's some infamous CG in Overlord though that was completely unnecessary and just screams laziness on the part of the studio.

Then you have shows like High Score Girl and Land of the Lusterous that are 100% CG and look great.

Seems like the use of CG is more often lazy and slipshod than not.
Mar 28, 2020 1:13 PM

Dec 2015
In some shows, it fits as the CGI is really well made.
In some shows like Ajin, the whole show is in some wierd 3D CGI style and I think that's fine too.

What I do hate is how Tiamat looks like, she is out of place, it dosen't fit. She looks dumb, when it comes down to a studio that get supported by a company making biljons each year. And they releasing a Tiamat that looks like she was made by child using paint. That's something I hate.

Don't like the way that some studios out there, in the past they made awesome animation. But to save money and time they have started to use CGI. When I see that I just get so disappointed as I know what they have done in the past :(
Money is everything in this world, but I think you shoud released project that you can be really proud of. If I did a Tiamat in paint, it's a work I woud never have been proud over.

Mar 28, 2020 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
I don't hate on it, I just don't like it.

It ruins the cinematic experience, the movement is way too fluid. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to motion, I don't even tolerate interpolation.

So I won't automatically dislike an anime because of it, but I'll resent them for using it.
Even knowing all the pros it brings when it comes to efficiency and cost.

Just don't...
Mar 28, 2020 1:41 PM

Aug 2018
CG anime has come a long way.It's improved but how good it is depends upon the studio.
Studio Orange made two full CGI anime and each looked beautiful.
Polygon Picture came a long way.Ajin looked bad but their latest work Kuutei Dragons looked great.
MAPPA blends 3D CGI with 2D really well but sometimes their models looks janky.
It's very difficult to notice good CGI.

The type of CGI which I hate are the ones where it stands like a sore thumb.Gorgon looked okay but Cloverworks dropped the ball with Tiamat.Both Tiamat and Beast looked out of place.
I would like the CGI series to retain its anime roots.I'm disappointed that Ghost in rhe Shell SAC_2045 looks like a PS2 cutscene.

I would say CGI had improved over the years.CGI is cost effective and requires few animators as compared to hand drawn works.It might be the future.
sonofbatmanrp13Mar 28, 2020 1:52 PM
Mar 28, 2020 1:42 PM

May 2016
Watch beserk then come back and delete this thread.
Mar 28, 2020 1:42 PM

Jul 2016
CGI is hated when its obvious they try to do the same things as hand-drawn and utterly fail, when its so overt and ugly (most CGI crowds and Berserk 2016/2017), or when its used obnoxiously (Handshakers). Most people still associate CGI with laziness and ugliness and unfortunately most of the time it is. However, every anime nowadays has at least some CGI and most people hardly notice. A lot of the hate can be chalked up to bandwagoning but the initial hate was probably justified.
Mar 28, 2020 1:44 PM

Jul 2013
I never understood why everyone thinks Ajin looks bad. It has extremely good action scenes and season 2 has great character acting because of this CGI. I feel people tend to hate on CGI because it is different. Studio Orange has amazing CGI too, but sometimes I feel people think Ajins dreary look means it looks bad, but a bright art style wouldn't fit its tone. Same with Sidonia (even if Sidonia is a lot more rough around the edges.)
Mar 28, 2020 1:50 PM

Sep 2017
The only CGI studio I trust is Orange. MAPPA is good, JCStaff is fine at best. The others I don't care or I haven't seen them.

Mar 28, 2020 3:59 PM
Jul 2018
I will not watch the new GITS SAC because of it. Had a sour experience with Appleseed already
Mar 28, 2020 5:06 PM
Jul 2018
Not always. It can be done well or poorly just like anything else.
Mar 28, 2020 5:11 PM

Feb 2019
if its bad then yes because its gross.
if its good then no.

NΜ½Ν“oΜ½Ν“ Μ½Ν“JΜ½Ν“uΜ½Ν“sΜ½Ν“tΜ½Ν“iΜ½Ν“cΜ½Ν“eΜ½Ν“.Μ½Ν“ Μ½Ν“NΜ½Ν“oΜ½Ν“ Μ½Ν“PΜ½Ν“eΜ½Ν“aΜ½Ν“cΜ½Ν“eΜ½Ν“.Μ½Ν“

Mar 28, 2020 5:14 PM

Sep 2016
The bigger issue is that 2d and 3d animation don't mesh very well together, and they are not the same art form, its a tricky mixed media approach to get right. In my case I just don't have the love for seeing 3d models moved around as I do hand drawn images being manipulated, so the medium is uninteresting to me.
Mar 28, 2020 5:23 PM

Aug 2016
Well, it gets hate because it´s not properly used most of the time and I can´t blame people.

Anyway, I recently watched Promare, wich is an ok anime movie, but the animation was fantastic and it implements CGI. Actually, one of the best anime experiences in terms of visuals, despite a few convoluted action sections.
:v
Mar 28, 2020 6:34 PM
Jul 2018

Seriously though, it's mixing CGI with 2d animation that most of us have a problem with. And it's usually done very cheaply. Entirely CGI anime can look good if they don't cheap out. No one has a problem with Houseki no Kuni, just all them CGI crowds and bears and shit in an otherwise 2d show.
removed-userMar 28, 2020 6:39 PM
Mar 28, 2020 6:42 PM

Jul 2011
CGI isn't really necessary in anime but I personally don't care about it as long as it doesn't look like CLANG 2016.

Mar 28, 2020 6:45 PM

Mar 2017
Not the good ones anymore. Look at Demon slayer, Dorohedoro, Beastars etc...
Mar 28, 2020 6:49 PM

Oct 2019
I know I'm alone in this, but I think very cheap CGI can be charming and cute in its own way. I really liked Kemono Friends for this appeal, it had a lo-fi vibe that made it comfier.
Mar 28, 2020 6:52 PM

Apr 2019
Each and every animated Hollywood movie since Toy Story (> 20 years) is pure CGI. Whoever claims to hate CGI is not completely honest. Like in any technology there is good, neutral and bad. Most CGI probably is not even noticed these days, in anime as well. Only when a studio fucks up, saves too much money, or rushes a scene involving CGI it''s visible. And then the usual suspects cry wolf and overgeneralize it. Their bad, safe to ignore.

Even mediocre and bad CGI can't hurt a good story. Watch Mardock Scramble (all 3 movies, but 2 has most CG), Koukaku Kidoutai 2: Innocence, or Malice@Doll if you don't believe me. And what Studio Orange does is pure magic anyway.

Summary: No, the hate is mainly from circle-jerking haters.

Mar 28, 2020 7:29 PM

Apr 2019
Watch Arifureta and you will see why it's deserve the hate.
Mar 28, 2020 7:53 PM

May 2009
Tyrannicswine117 said:
Does CGI anime really deserve the hate it gets?
No it doesn't.

I contend that some people are just used to seeing things animated a certain way, and thus its quirks don't stand out as much to them.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 28, 2020 8:00 PM

Sep 2014
What hate?
I thought everyone was going crazy over ufotable's animation and saying things like they have high budget or something. That definitely doesn't sound like hate to me.
Mar 28, 2020 8:07 PM

Sep 2018
Varies, but usually CGI isn’t the worst. I love ryuji masudas works (most of his shows are completely in cgi, however they look bad in today’s standards because all his stuff was made 1999-2005) but it’s still so charming.

Except berserk

Fuck berserk
Mar 29, 2020 2:30 AM
Feb 2014
It does deserve hate. Before anime was a piece of art, CGI animes never gets close to that kind of art value. Most CGI animes are done very poorly, with weird limb and lip movements.
CGI is driving out real artists and animators out of the anime industry.

But again, no amount of hate is going to stop the rise of CGI anime. They are the future. I just hope, CGI itself develops into as beautiful and attractive as hand drawn animation.
Mar 29, 2020 2:39 AM

Oct 2015
No one hates on Beastars or Lustrous because they are so well made! Most others get hate because they look horrible!
Mar 29, 2020 2:42 AM

Apr 2019
I used to hate CGI anime a lot. But after watching Houseki no Kuni... I felt like I could become more open to those kinds of anime. Right now I'm in the neutral zone. Still waiting for a trigger.
Mar 29, 2020 3:02 AM

Jan 2018
considering they will try to cut corners whenever possible, I will not support use of cgi. I've seen kengan ashura season 1, it feels awkward when they are not fighting.
Mar 29, 2020 3:06 AM

Dec 2018
Absolutely not. CGI is everywhere in anime, you just don’t notice it when it’s done well. The goal of CGI is to be seamless with the rest of the animation, therefore when it’s done well you don’t notice it and when it’s done badly you do notice it.
Mar 29, 2020 3:10 AM

Feb 2019
Yes it does. It doesn't have that feel which hand drawn animation has.
Mar 29, 2020 4:06 AM
Oct 2018
Some people will think that good cgi is bad when its not
Mar 29, 2020 4:13 AM

Oct 2010
if cgi is bad it surely deserves the hate, just look at berserk and ghost in the shell 2045
if cgi is good it deserves the praise, simple as that
Mar 29, 2020 4:20 AM

Aug 2018
CGI has it the hardest cause when it does a good job no one notices its CGI, but when its bad CGI then its noticeable for everyone, and there are probably a lot of examples of good cgi that we wouldn't even know are cgi cause if how good it was. The only times you're gonna notice good cgi might as well be in fully 3d shows like beastars or half 3d like dorohedoro

And fully 3d animes seen to look good only when they try to play to the strengths of 3d instead of mimicking traditional 2d anime styles
yotiMar 29, 2020 4:31 AM
Mar 29, 2020 4:21 AM

May 2018
Some people even think that Houseki no Kuni, Beastars and Dorohedoro have bad cgi. Their opinion doesn't matter though

Mar 29, 2020 6:35 AM
Jul 2018
Definitely not. Sometimes release groups encode CGI incorrectly and weird frame rate fluctuations appear, and animation can look muddy.

Ajin was great and people are way too opinionated for their own good.
Mar 29, 2020 7:00 AM

Jan 2013
Usually no, I've seen many people who whine about cgi even if it's barely noticeable or actually really well done. Sure there are abominations like Berserk but there's no reason to whine about Dorohedoro or the new LotGH anime.
Mar 29, 2020 7:25 AM

Feb 2016
CGI and anime have a very strange relationship.

Ultimately, CGI is a distinct art form that yields its own style and techniques. There are good CGI animators in Japan but only recently have we seen shows which take advantage of this. At it's worst CGI anime tries to mimic 2D animation far too much, as long as it doesn't do that and tries to express its own style then there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.

I even think sometimes "bad" and "dated" CGI has it's own merits, above all it's an art style and there's positives it could bring. For example, low-poly early 3D games I think have this atmospheric charm to them that modern games lack if they pursue hyper-realism.

TL;DR CGI anime just needs to take advantage of the fact that it has different capabilities from 2D.
Mar 29, 2020 7:57 AM

Jun 2015
CGi is awesome; I don't care what anyone else says. My favorite is the really janky CG from the late '90s and '00s; Malice@Doll visually being one of my favorite anime of all time.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Mar 29, 2020 10:31 AM
May 2017
ohml said:
From the thread you guys have named 3 of the best shows CGI animation has to offer. What about the others?

Kengan was pretty bad
Ajin looked pretty bad,
Berserk was pretty bad
Golden Kamuy was very bad
Levius was not the greatest

I mean studios are have been experimenting with CGI and have been getting better at using this type of animation so it will get better in the future, just not atm.
Well that’s mainly I haven’t got to them yet, there are others like Revisions, the recent Godzilla films and even the mechs in SSSS.Gridman. Honestly Golden Kamuys cgi bear wasn’t that bad since it was a very minor thing.

Attackonfiller said:
People are just being tsundere. Most people actually creamed their pants seeing Kingdom and Overlord S3 CG.
To me those are actually bad examples, Overlord S3 with those cgi armies looked so bad

epidemia78 said:
The use of CG is understandable when it comes to scenes with large crowds and stuff like that even though it usually looks pretty awkward. Some effort should be made to cover up the awkwardness. Re:Zero does a pretty good job of CG crowds. On the other hand there's some infamous CG in Overlord though that was completely unnecessary and just screams laziness on the part of the studio.

Then you have shows like High Score Girl and Land of the Lusterous that are 100% CG and look great.

Seems like the use of CG is more often lazy and slipshod than not.
Yes I completely forgot about High Score Girl, it was really well done and animated by J.C staff of all people

Catalano said:
if cgi is bad it surely deserves the hate, just look at berserk and ghost in the shell 2045
GitS 2045 has only had a trailer, basing a show on that before it’s even come out is unfair to it. It could end up being just as good as the previous series.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenMar 31, 2020 12:14 PM
Mar 29, 2020 10:45 AM

Oct 2010
Tyrannicswine117 said:
Catalano said:
GitS 2045 has only had a trailer, basing a show on that before it’s even come out is unfair to it. It could end up being just as good as the previous series.

trailers aren't mal reviews, the cgi was bad in the trailer, it's impossible that the anime will look better, ok, let's say it'll be slightly better but not convincing for the fans
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

119 by Hoppy »»
6 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 hours ago

27 by perseii »»
13 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

31 by Archean-Return »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 5 hours ago

24 by Kurgo »»
21 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

170 by perseii »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.