Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 28, 2020 8:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aww that hug. Iroha really cares about her comrades in this world of uncertainity. Nanami is lucky to have met her. Mami is also back in the season finale!

Can't have a series finale without some tea lol Good action especially in the second half of the episode. They really went all out to give us a fight we deserve. Music is top notch for this episode too if you ask me.

2nd season/series announcement

https://twitter.com/magireco/status/1243923299370823681
Stark700Mar 28, 2020 8:33 AM

Feb 2018
Mami vs Yachiyo, for some reason this battle scene reminds me of Mami vs Akemi in the Hangyaku Monogatari series, and of course the battle between Mami against Yachiyo is very bland and has no excitement at all.

Aug 2017

What can I say about this spin-off from one of my favorite series? Clearly it is very difficult to have a writing at the level of Madoka Magica but I really feel that there was a combination of bad direction in addition to the source not being very good. Characters are bland and feels generic and I don't care about anyone even Iroha and her sister plot. Yachiyo was the only character that I care during the entire show but the anime does not give much importance to her until the end.

I really appreciate that they have been trying to do this but could have done so much better, with an emphasis on making the characters more understandable and having a better presentation. Just like I said yesterday, I appreciate that the story goes somewhere after after the bad done presentation of characters around ep 10 although honestly it is too late at that point. It really hurts to give this score but I have no choice. 5/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 28, 2020 8:24 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
I watched this series with no expectation it would match Madoka the original, so it did not disappoint me to much, a 7 out of 10. Hoping they throw in another cour to at least properly finish this story.
Mar 28, 2020 8:27 AM

Dec 2017
uhm, so holy mami, was it? this ending is... very gacha-like. the story is just a clusterfuck of events and characters mashed together. i've read somewhere that this story plays even of a bigger importance than rebellion did, but it's just too hard to get into

i suppose, s2 is inevitable
Mar 28, 2020 8:28 AM

Nov 2007
Since she knows the truth, cold girl said team disbanded.

Her wish was to survive and doesn't want others to get involved... it lies behind her model life.

Short blue hair girl from main series, too?! Twintail girl became crazy when seeing her and mentions about the main girl in main series.

Both of them can use another self?!

Chinese restaurant girl became one of them?

Main girl got taken by the crazy twintail girl.

ED: "Niguredo (二グレド)" by Shito (シト) (from ReReGRAPHICS) (I thought it was FictionJunction or something because the voice was like Kalafina, but I was wrong. I don't know who this Shito (not SID) is)

2nd season announcement
tsubasaloverMar 28, 2020 8:37 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 28, 2020 8:36 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Hmmm... it was ok to watch I guess, I hope the S2 will be better
Mar 28, 2020 8:41 AM
Jan 2013
A great episode, better than I dared hope for. It had everything I wanted (except maybe Madoka and Homura). I was a bit worried about how they would do the Iroha/Yachiyo interaction but it was beautiful. And great animation too after some low points in previous episodes.

Series 9/10.
YuhaniMar 28, 2020 8:46 AM
Mar 28, 2020 9:16 AM
Aug 2015
I loved the episode, the music was also perfect.

The fight was amazing, the animation could definitely have been better but with the coronavirus I can't blame them, also the blu-ray will fix that
Mar 28, 2020 9:55 AM
Dec 2017
Looks like they ran out of budget before the last episode - most of fighting scenes was just left to our imagination, and that cut with Miki just standing still...oof.
Mar 28, 2020 9:58 AM
Sep 2019
Sondfer said:
Looks like they ran out of budget before the last episode - most of fighting scenes was just left to our imagination, and that cut with Miki just standing still...oof.

Don't worry, those still shots are fixed in the BD version.
Mar 28, 2020 9:58 AM

Oct 2019
So does anyone know what the name of the ending theme was? Has a very Kalafina vibe
Mar 28, 2020 10:00 AM

Feb 2019
Can’t believe it’s all over ugh what a ride it’s been, I’ve enjoyed watching this a lot more than the original. Seeing the character arcs of all the girls come full circle over the course of the season was so nice . Rumours are we’re getting a second season so that’s one bright spot

Yachiyo who’s normally the strong leader finally leaned on Iroha and accepted her as a true friend

Sayaka!! Finally. That fight sequence holy shit! Epic!!

So the magius are trying to create uwasa’s that don’t require the sacrifice of magical girls, by misleading and lying to magical girls. That meeting is one of the creepiest things I’ve seen.

Noo Iroha!!! 😔 😔

New ED was amazing, need that on Apple Music ASAP.

This episode was an amazing conclusion. Felt like a movie. Set up another season perfectly, can’t wait!
Mar 28, 2020 10:00 AM
Aug 2015
Sondfer said:

The original Madoka was way worse before it got fixed
https://wiki.puella-magi.net/Episode_revisions
Mar 28, 2020 10:03 AM

Jul 2017
As a fan of Madoka Magica, this didn't live up to my expectations at all. It's nothing alike, and definitely not remarkable, in my opinion of course. I'll say that the story was the biggest problem, since i didn't like any of it, also, i just couldn't care for any of the characters, none of them caught my attention.. Idk man, personally i am utterly disappointed with this show

4/10 not really hyped for the 2nd season 😕
Mar 28, 2020 10:04 AM
Jan 2013
ZappyCake21 said:
So does anyone know what the name of the ending theme was? Has a very Kalafina vibe

Title: ニグレド
Composed and arranged by Takumi Ozawa
Lyrics and singing by シト (from ReReGRAPHICS)
Mar 28, 2020 10:05 AM

Dec 2018
Can’t wait for next season. Mami’s doppel form and Wings of Magius size, they’re much bigger than I expected. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the shit out of this.
Mar 28, 2020 10:16 AM

Aug 2018
I absolutely loved this first season, I've got the same vibe back from when I have watched Madoka Magica, I can't wait for the second and I hope it will be even better than it was now.
Mar 28, 2020 10:25 AM

Oct 2019
Yuhani said:
ZappyCake21 said:

Title: ニグレド
Composed and arranged by Takumi Ozawa
Lyrics and singing by シト (from ReReGRAPHICS)

I saw that in the credits, I don't know the English translation of the artist and song though.
Mar 28, 2020 10:32 AM
Jul 2015
Insane stuff.

-Mami Tomoe going loco
-the Magius people planning something big....especially Alina Grey and that red-haired girl played by Rie Kugimiya

Tbh, I thought this would be the last episode....but wow, it looks like we are going to Season 2.

Whoa I didn't expect that.

P.S.

By the way, I have a question: (since I have not seen the original Madoka and I have not played the game either)

How on earth is Sayaka Miki alive here?

I thought she died in the original show/movie (?)
Mar 28, 2020 10:33 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm so Yachiyo's wish was to survive huh. While her inner heart reflects well the negative desire that this can have it also shows her determination to become strong for her friends sake. Iroha's attempt to dispel Yachiyo's fears though sure was welcome both as a means to save Yachiyo while also developing her own. Given her skills Tomoe brings a lot to the Magius in terms of attack power. Her attack animation as a witch sure was impressive. As was the dual between Yachiyo and Tomoe. Miki's intervention though sure was a godsend. Still the witch enhanced Tomoe sure was powerful even when faced with the risky powers of the doppels. Looks like the number of former magical girls that the magius can call upon is pretty high. While certainly misguided Toka's speech certainly was a compelling one. Overall an excellent finale that blended well action with character expansion and plot advancement and managing to introduce a number of plot points to be used in s2. Looks like in s2 Iroha and Yachiyo will have to face many of their former comrades. That ending theme sure paired well with the reaction to Toka's speech.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2020 10:35 AM
Aug 2015
DLSUalpha009 said:
Insane stuff.

-Mami Tomoe going loco
-the Magius people planning something big....especially Alina Grey and that red-haired girl played by Rie Kugimiya

Tbh, I thought this would be the last episode....but wow, it looks like we are going to Season 2.

Whoa I didn't expect that.

P.S.

By the way, I have a question: (since I have not seen the original Madoka and I have not played the game either)

How on earth is Sayaka Miki alive here?

I thought she died in the original show/movie (?)

She only died in the main timeline of the original anime (and a few other timelines), there is a lot of timeline stuff in Madoka
Mar 28, 2020 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
So with this episode's imagery in mind, I think it's impossible not to see that Magius are a bunch of fascists. Note that they want to liberate Magical Girls from the system, rather than abolish it. That's a crucial difference. Also, both Kyubey and Magius are trying to maximize the amount of emotional energy generated by magical girls, so in this sense their goals are still basically the same. They only want to change who gets to be sacrificed, rather than rewrite the universe so that nobody gets sacrificed for profit.
Mar 28, 2020 10:36 AM
Aug 2015
Touka is basically a magical girl version of a white supremacist: "magical girls are more human than normal humans"

Mar 28, 2020 10:38 AM

Jan 2014
A lot oof in this episode. Very touching on both ends.

Cannot wait for the next season to see further developments of this story. Been a great show.
Mar 28, 2020 10:48 AM
Jul 2015
Eroha said:

She only died in the main timeline of the original anime (and a few other timelines), there is a lot of timeline stuff in Madoka

Oh I see.

But does it follow any of these timelines from previous shows / movies? Or is it a completely original timeline?

I ask this because I remember there was flashback in Episode 10 of Magia Record wherein Mami explains her reasons for joining the Magius (because she does not want any more of her friends to die)

Mar 28, 2020 10:48 AM

Feb 2019
I really liked this last episode, specially the vibe the anime gave to it, but the series as a whole was so... bland. I have nothing to say against the art direction front, as expected from Shaft, it was outstanding. The sound direction too was more than decent.

The writing and characterization though (not going to mention the animation because I think BDs will fix that)... Yeah, that's where things got subpar, hindering character development, worldbuilding and story progression. Things felt too slow or too fast at points; introduction of new characters that never went anywhere and were completely forgotten (Kuroe), serving little to no purpose; lack of proper explanation for a lot of the shows core elements.

All in all, as an adaptation it didn't adapt the original source well, because when there's a change of medium, there should be also a change in writing to better accommodate the new 'rules of the game', so to speak. The ways they choose to do that were either inefficient (as in, either contradictory or badly implemented) or non-existent. There were parts that were well adapted, I think the change of a time countdown to a 'lucky times left' one for the Misery Water/Lucky Owl Water was a nice touch, but even that was not a change completely thought through. By continuing the countdown after the Uwasa was killed, what was still being counted? It detached the 'Uwasa effects' from the Uwasa itself, disrespecting the world's own magic system.

I do think this was a decent show despite its writing flaws, but mainly because I enjoy the franchise and can overlook some of it. Still, the flaws aren't just a handful and did hinder my enjoyment of it. I'm still looking forward to the 2nd season and I hope they can take a more careful look at the writing department going forward, because everything else (aside from the meguca animation in parts) was of really great quality.

(I heard some people complain about the lack of sense of danger and stakes, but that's to be expected from a game, which is the source. It's a difficult balance to maintain between adapting a material well to its new medium and changing too much. I'd say the show did neither.)
Mar 28, 2020 10:49 AM

Sep 2019
Magia Records started very good. Became a bit slow in the middle but this last episode was masterful. Bad luck for everyone who didn't watch until the end. Although Magia Records is based on a gacha game I'm curious what Shaft will present us in the next season. This last episode was extremely good so my expectations are high. I give Magia Records a 8/10.

EDIT: Corrected to 7/10.
InkEyes13Apr 4, 2020 7:02 AM
Mar 28, 2020 10:51 AM

Oct 2017
Amazing finale filled with action. Miki made her appearance finally and the fight was truly great. Unfortunately Mami became a witch and she took Iroha with her. Pretty sure they are both safe but this must be a big shock to Yachio since Iroha just promised that she won't die but then she ended up in that situation.

The finale was the best episode of this season and got me really hyped up for the next season. So really looking forward to it.
Mar 28, 2020 10:55 AM

Jan 2019
Great episode and a great season finale after all. The action impresses as I didn't think it was possible anymore, Sayaka's arrival is incredible, all the Yachiyo + Iroha scenes are heart-warming, Kuroe finally appears again, the music is top tier and I definitely didn't expect to see so many girls joining the Wings of Magius (Momoko, Tsuruno, Felicia). Besides all that, the second season's announcement was the best news I could have received today. Episode 9/10, anime 8/10.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Mar 28, 2020 10:56 AM
Aug 2015
DLSUalpha009 said:

But does it follow any of these timelines from previous shows / movies? Or is it a completely original timeline?

I ask this because I remember there was flashback in Episode 10 of Magia Record wherein Mami explains her reasons for joining the Magius (because she does not want any more of her friends to die)

Magia Record's timeline is weird, it would be heavy spoilers so I can't really explain (just think of it as an original timeline)

Mami joined the Magius as she a) didn't want to become a witch and b) because she felt guilty for leading Madoka and Sayaka into becoming magical girls (she wants to stop them becoming witches)
Mar 28, 2020 10:57 AM
Dec 2018
WaterLord said:
As a fan of Madoka Magica, this didn't live up to my expectations at all. It's nothing alike, and definitely not remarkable, in my opinion of course. I'll say that the story was the biggest problem, since i didn't like any of it, also, i just couldn't care for any of the characters, none of them caught my attention.. Idk man, personally i am utterly disappointed with this show

4/10 not really hyped for the 2nd season 😕

I think you have a such opinion because the story has just started, and certainly is not finished yet. Compared to the original, which was written exactly for 12 episodes and a movie, Magia Record is a bigger project. Too bad you didn't like the characters since most of them are loved as much or even more than the original cast. But I guess having played the game changes the perspective of the viewers like me.
Mar 28, 2020 10:59 AM

Feb 2013
>Below 7

MAL and the shit tastes....
Mar 28, 2020 11:02 AM

May 2015
Mami doppel was OP as fuck, but still the story is mere shadow of orginal to me.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 28, 2020 11:03 AM
May 2018
Wait a second. Miki is supposedly dead but she here. From mami expression and word it seem like miki was already dead. Even miki look clueless what mami say.
Mar 28, 2020 11:07 AM
May 2018
No explanation and even more questions.... WTF was that?
There will be like season 2 or something?
Mar 28, 2020 11:09 AM

Jan 2011
Holy based Touka being best girl like every Kugyuu character is.
Lmao Mami dies in both series. What a tool.
Mar 28, 2020 11:10 AM
Aug 2015
Barlaxk said:
Wait a second. Miki is supposedly dead but she here. From mami expression and word it seem like miki was already dead. Even miki look clueless what mami say.

nah Mami is just guilty that she made Sayaka and Madoka become magical girls, she now knows that they will turn into witches so she is doing everything she can to stop that
Mar 28, 2020 11:10 AM
Dec 2018
Barlaxk said:

They intentionally did it to trick the viewers. Anyone not coming from game would be met with a surprise.
Mar 28, 2020 11:17 AM

Jul 2017
salarx said:
I think you have a such opinion because the story has just started, and certainly is not finished yet. Compared to the original, which was written exactly for 12 episodes and a movie, Magia Record is a bigger project. Too bad you didn't like the characters since most of them are loved as much or even more than the original cast. But I guess having played the game changes the perspective of the viewers like me.
Yeah, it's probably because of that, i was just anime only, never played the game, and i believe you ofc that this is just the beginning, since you already played it. It just wasn't for me :/ maybe the next season will be better.
Mar 28, 2020 11:18 AM
May 2016
So the whole thing was a set up for season two? <_<, Ugh and not a fan of the whole Doppel thing, Yachiyo with that big scorpion tail coming out from her butt under her dress was silly 9_9
Mar 28, 2020 11:19 AM
Jul 2015
Eroha said:

Magia Record's timeline is weird, it would be heavy spoilers so I can't really explain (just think of it as an original timeline)

Mami joined the Magius as she a) didn't want to become a witch and b) because she felt guilty for leading Madoka and Sayaka into becoming magical girls (she wants to stop them becoming witches)

Yeah a lot of confusing stuff for me as someone who is new to this franchise.

Actually I only got into this franchise because of TrySail hehe (since it rarely happens where all three girls are in the same show) . Sometimes, I wonder if I made the right decision..........but what the heck, I have already seen it so might as well go along with it.

----------------------

Going back:

I was wondering now that Mami Tomoe is not herself and has gone loco:
Do you think the Magius tricked Mami and used her as an experiment?

And is there any reason as to what Sayaka Miki is doing? Or is to early to tell and that we should just wait for Season 2?
Mar 28, 2020 11:24 AM

Jan 2019
squirrvev said:
Note that they want to liberate Magical Girls from the system, rather than abolish it. That's a crucial difference.

They don't want to abolish Kyubey's system because they can't do that. Madoka was only able to change the reality in the original series because Homura's countless loops over time gave her enough power to break the laws of the universe with her wish and to transcend them. Kamihama girls must not know that this is possible since no one knew until Madoka did it.

salarx said:
Barlaxk said:

They intentionally did it to trick the viewers. Anyone not coming from game would be met with a surprise.

I don't come from the game and it didn't surprise me. I think it's clear enough, since several episodes ago, that Magia Record takes place in a universe separate from that of the original series and the characters who lived or died there will not necessarily be in the same situation here.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Mar 28, 2020 11:26 AM
Dec 2018
DLSUalpha009 said:

And is there any reason as to what Sayaka Miki is doing? Or is to early to tell and that we should just wait for Season 2?

I'll share a theory as soon as I watch the subbed version of his episode, given that you've watched Rebellion Movie.
Mar 28, 2020 11:28 AM
Jul 2015
salarx said:
given that you've watched Rebellion Movie.

Oh I have not watched any of the previous Madoka stuff (e.g. TV and movies). I also have not played the game either.

In short, Magia Record TV is my first foray into this franchise....
Mar 28, 2020 11:31 AM
Dec 2018
DLSUalpha009 said:
salarx said:
given that you've watched Rebellion Movie.

Oh I have not watched any of the previous Madoka stuff (e.g. TV and movies). I also have not played the game either.

In short, Magia Record TV is my first foray into this franchise....

Should definitely watch. TV series + Movie. If you're among the people who live in a country affected by Corona Virus lockdown, this is the best time.
Mar 28, 2020 11:32 AM
Jul 2015
salarx said:

Should definitely watch. TV series + Movie. If you're among the people who live in a country affected by Corona Virus lockdown, this is the best time.

Hehe I doubt I have time for that...........since I have other obligations, etc.

I'll just probably wait for Season 2 on TV hehe :D
Mar 28, 2020 11:33 AM
Dec 2018
Ryoketsu said:

I don't come from the game and it didn't surprise me. I think it's clear enough, since several episodes ago, that Magia Record takes place in a universe separate from that of the original series and the characters who lived or died there will not necessarily be in the same situation here.

Not all people watch with dedication, I think that might be the reason.
Mar 28, 2020 11:36 AM
Dec 2018
DLSUalpha009 said:
salarx said:

Hehe I doubt I have time for that...........since I have other obligations, etc.

I'll just probably wait for Season 2 on TV hehe :D

That's fine too I guess. They have written this story in such a way that even viewers who haven't watched other Madoka stuff feel welcome. Just avoid the spoilers of the original.
Mar 28, 2020 11:38 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was some finale episode!

A thorough victory for the Magius, or rather Touka-chan's faction, it seems. Had the sequel not been announced, I have no idea how I'd come to terms with such an ending honestly.

Got to feel for Yachiyo-san in the end there though, Iroha has seemingly gone down now too. It's too familiar a scene for her, and it's more of a sucker punch considering how she saved her just prior to that unexpected development. Such a cruel treatment of her wish though, jeez.

Grand return for Sayaka-chan from the OG, and it's just about time before the other two end up here as well! She certainly seems more powerful and competent being able to handle the grunt of the attacks from Mami-san like that. Hopefully, this fall in the end will somehow break the spell on Mami-san. We finally know why Magical Girls are intruding this Kamihama City now too, and it's very intriguing indeed.

Confirmation of Rena-chan being spellbound and, unsurprisingly, Yui and Mitsuki are down too. I don't think I caught Futaba so hopefully she is, at least, safe. But then that drop, Walpurgis Night! The very entity that OG fans would know not to mess around with, yikes. Couldn't possibly be a better cliffhanger than this...

Iroha mastering, or at least getting the hang of it to be a better extent, her Doppler form totally felt like a convenience factor, if I'm to be brutally honest. I doubt we'll get to the depth behind this later too so that's a little pity, I suppose.

Overall, this show has been a highly entertaining ride with the pristine Direction and buildup of mystery in particular. Started off fairly slow but really picked towards the end of the latter half, and I imagine it's only going to get better from here onwards.

I feel like the show could have better received here had it been 2-cours on the trot since this is more or less just the set-up but welp there's no helping that. Fact that we're at least getting the 2nd cour is a blessing in itself, and I'm super ecstatic for it!

Seriously going to miss the Op and ED themes this season though. Gomakashi to start off with and Alicia to end, one of the finest company in this regard imo. And the Soundtracks were just as good! Similarly, the Animation quality was top-notch too!

In the character department, I would have to say it was so-so at best. This is clearly catered to fans who have already had experience with the story in the game format so there's no helping that. I, myself, am a player (started earlier sometime last week) and so did find this underwhelming but not too much of a biggie.

One thing I will appreciate though is the different take on the story and plot from the game. Completely different starting points and then playing the catch-up role, I found that to be really enjoyable personally.

As such, I'm going to stick with my 7.5/10 score. Probably deserving a 7 more so than an 8 in all fairness but Shaft has done a phenomenal job in making the ride a memorable and intriguing one so I'll have to go with the 8 instead.

Edit: Going to be very harsh here and give this a 7/10 but here's to hoping the 2nd Season will mend a few things and cross over the hurdle to a solid 8/10.
_MushiRock11_Apr 15, 2020 11:39 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2020

237 by Biisoo »»
Apr 17, 11:00 AM

» Is this necessary to watch?

theanimeviber - Feb 4

14 by kensu31 »»
Feb 11, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

108 by Hilel1982014h »»
Jan 16, 7:42 AM

» This is quite funny

official_brown - Jun 10, 2022

16 by jedman »»
Jul 5, 2023 3:05 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2020

136 by HimeCrycho »»
Jun 18, 2023 2:19 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.