Forum Settings
Forums

Was there an ''asspull'' in the anime that you just can't seem to hate or dislike ?

New
Mar 27, 2020 12:14 AM

Aug 2018
For me personally it has to be one moment from Naruto Shippuden

Mar 27, 2020 12:42 AM

Jan 2010
Whenever the character that doing the asspull is my favorite character.

EDIT:
More like, why my character had to asspull their way out, such blasphemy! I'd hate it, but in the end I'd still love the character still. Not sure if that make sense lmao.
Mar 27, 2020 12:48 AM

Jul 2016
To be honest, nearly everything that people call asspulls are things I'm okay with. The way Giorno beats the big bad in JoJo Part 5, the final episode of Soul Eater or N psychically knowing the correct answers in Death Note. They're all executed well and the emotions hit their mark so I'm not really bothered if they're "asspulls."
Mar 27, 2020 1:04 AM

Oct 2019
Basically Fairy Tail's entire story

The entire thing is asspull after asspull but I can't help thinking it was fun to watch
Mar 27, 2020 1:16 AM
Jul 2018
Fullmetal Alchemist : Brotherhood ending the way Ed gets back Al's body.
Mar 27, 2020 1:22 AM

Mar 2012
Anything from YGO because the story are designed to be working that way.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 27, 2020 1:27 AM

Sep 2018
Most asspulls do not hinder my enjoyment of the show. Its just that most shows i enjoy, that got a new asspull every other episode, are shows i would not call good, enjoyable yes but not good or well written.
That said i can forgive asspulls if the show still remains fun to watch, but not if it actually wants to be taken serious or have a realistic approach in their world. That only happens when said asspull is so huge it completely gets me out of the world i am so invested in, wich rarely ever happens.
-Mullerio-Mar 27, 2020 1:31 AM
Mar 27, 2020 1:30 AM

Aug 2018
Joseph Joestar is a walking asspull.The way he defeated Kars was the biggest asspull of the series but I love Joseph.If you ignore the asspulls in JoJo you are in one hell of a ride.
Mar 27, 2020 1:35 AM

Nov 2019
JoJos is like the king of enjoyable asspulls.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Mar 27, 2020 1:44 AM

Oct 2010
When Luffy defeated Lucci in One Piece, I mean, Lucci is an experienced marine who trained all his life for combat and Luffy is just a young pirate. But I was surely happy when Luffy kicked that bastard, too bad he didn't die, but that' OP for you
Mar 27, 2020 1:44 AM
Jul 2018
If the asspull doesn't have an impact on the core nature of the story I dont mind it.
Mar 27, 2020 6:54 AM

May 2018
Each part of Jojo has lots of asspulls. And you can't even dislike it. They don't bother you at all. Because it's the genre's distinctive feature (gar genre, I mean)

Mar 27, 2020 7:20 AM

Oct 2017
Most of the time what people call an "asspull" doesn't bother me too much. I think people put far too much emphasis on the logic of stories instead of the themes and meaning behind the events and the emotion involved in the character's journey.

The most common is "dude somehow becomes more powerful than he has been before and overcomes an impossible situation". Usually the reason given or implied is that the character reached within himself and... I guess just "tried really hard", which is a simple and silly way of putting it (kind of lazy of me for not spending a minute to think of a better way too lol), but the meaning/theme here is that people can achieve things if they have enough will and really try their hardest. The character doing something miraculous is not like reality of course, but this is fiction. The exciting, unreal aspect of them literally doing the impossible just through sheer will what makes it exciting.

Or rather, that's what should make it exciting. I'm kiiiind of playing devil's advocate here because the vast majority of action anime / battle shounen -type stuff where this kind of trope is used aren't really my thing.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Mar 27, 2020 8:16 AM

Oct 2017
There are a lot of shit on The Fist of the North Star that came of nowhere but never pissed me off

Mar 27, 2020 1:10 PM

Aug 2010
7 deadly sins is pretty much all Asspulls.

It's asspull the show. Feels like it would be pointless to be upset considering the whole show is made entirely up of random asspull power scaling and abilities that are often never seen again.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Mar 27, 2020 5:02 PM

Jul 2017
Shicchi said:
Whenever the character that doing the asspull is my favorite character.

yea I agree with this. No matter how ridiculous it is if I really liked the character I could care less xdee
Mar 27, 2020 5:06 PM

Jul 2015
Vazka said:
Catalano said:
When Luffy defeated Lucci in One Piece, I mean, Lucci is an experienced marine who trained all his life for combat and Luffy is just a young pirate. But I was surely happy when Luffy kicked that bastard, too bad he didn't die, but that' OP for you

Shounen logic in a nut shell. Teen main character with not even a year of fighting experience beats someone that trained forever. Every single fight in One Piss.

Luffy's been training since he was a kid though and has had plenty of fight experience with Ace and etc.
i am the ultimate one piece fanboy
Mar 27, 2020 7:29 PM

Oct 2017
One Anime... Boku no hero Season 1,2,3 y still continue...
Mar 30, 2020 4:45 PM

Mar 2020
I don't hate asspulls, from time to time i've grown to love them.
Mar 30, 2020 6:17 PM

Jul 2011
Fairy Tail is full of asspulls but it's hard to hate it completely when you're so invested in the world and characters
Mar 30, 2020 6:50 PM

Sep 2014
Vazka said:
CheyneGreene said:

Luffy's been training since he was a kid though and has had plenty of fight experience with Ace and etc.

Fighting the same person over and over as a kid shouldn't make him stronger than people with decades of experience.

In defence of One Piece, Ace was actually one of the strongest character in One piece, so obviously Luffy had to profit. Also it's not like Luffy wasn't on his level. He had less experience in fighting than Lucci, but Luffy is about as strong as he is.
Mar 30, 2020 7:46 PM
Sep 2019
ASaid said:
Gon vs Pitou, massive asspull. Satisfying to watch though.

I wouldn't really consider that an asspull. If kurapika can make a nen contract that lets him dominate and seal uvogans nen then gon using a contract basically giving up not only his nen but his life should make him as strong as it did. If anything killua just happening to have a sister, who just happens have a being from the dark continent living inside her who can perfectly heal him is a way to convenient. But in either case I don't really mind.
Mar 30, 2020 7:54 PM

Jan 2020
“So it’s the same type of stand as Star Platinum”
Mar 30, 2020 8:26 PM

Nov 2011
So it is the same type of Stand as Star Platinum.

Mar 30, 2020 8:29 PM
Jul 2018
The climactic battle of Jojo Part 2 was one huge asspull, but it was so hilarious, that I didn't mind.
Mar 30, 2020 8:51 PM

Apr 2017
Sasuke somehow summoning Manda and putting it under a genjutsu to avoid dying in the epicentre of a nuke all in under half a second. I mean, talk about asspuls this is some India Jones refrigerator level shit. But the rest of the Deidara fight was just so good I can't hate it.

She smiled sweeter than Crème Brûlée

Mar 31, 2020 12:05 AM

Jul 2019
The entirety of 4th Great Ninja War Arc was one giant asspull and I didn't mind it even for a second.
Mar 31, 2020 12:10 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
It completely depends on the tone of the show, Symphogear makes their asspulls fun for example but anything that takes itself remotely seriously is a big yikes.
Mar 31, 2020 3:32 AM

Dec 2018
In Legend of the Galactic Heroes, there were definitely a lot of moments that felt like some side won for the purpose of plot or to make sure a certain character would or would not die, but I never felt like it was ridiculous enough to hate it. It happened enough to not give it a 10/10 (along with other issues) but I never hated the “asspulls

Another example is all the asspulls throughout the JoJo series but they are usually so ridiculous that it becomes funny. Honestly they probably actually add to the charm of JoJo. It’s wouldn’t be JoJos without an expertly timed and ridiculous asspull.
Meow meow meow meow and meow shogi, meow meow meow meow and meow shogi.

Taking one step a time, I work and try my best.
Though I'm the weakest of the bunch,
Expect from me a good paw punch!
Meow meow pawn, meow shogi.

Mar 31, 2020 6:39 AM
Jul 2018
There are a lot of asspull moments in JoJo that I don't mind.

Actually, I don't question a lot of what goes on in JoJo.
Mar 31, 2020 8:31 AM

Jun 2019
On the topic of Naruto, Madara being able to just do everything ever was definitely an asspull, such as
, but I didn't mind, because he's a total badass.

Mar 31, 2020 8:49 AM
May 2018
Apparently Natsu and Gajeel vs Sting and Rogue from Fairy Tail is an asspull according to anime experts, but I loved it.
Mar 31, 2020 8:54 AM
Feb 2019
The final getsuga tensho. Honestly, I don't care if it was forshadowed or not. I don't need every damn thing in Bleach to be forshadowed and honestly this "asspull" was pretty nice. At least it tied with Ichigo's resolution of his powers in the arc
"Don't forget my name, Soul Reaper, and you better pray that you never hear it again! Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez...because the next time you hear my name, you'll be a dead man...I promise."
Mar 31, 2020 10:41 AM

Feb 2010
Usually calling something an asspull is an attempt of pulling criticism out of your ass.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 31, 2020 10:44 AM

Jul 2015
TheFirmSword said:

This is why I say the Original is better than Brotherhood.
Brotherhood with the Original's ending would the perfect FMA.
Mar 31, 2020 11:32 AM

Oct 2015
Asspulls are basically a special instance of plot hole, the one that relates to a character's power or abilities. When something unexplainable by the established narrative occurs. As long as it isn't integral to the plot I needn't concern myself over it, many times you even miss that an asspull occurred, if one isn't careful.
Mar 31, 2020 11:43 AM

Feb 2020
zacisaweeb said:

THANKS I HATE IT

JoJos is filled with asspulls but I usually don’t mind, as long as corresponds with character development, is really funny (battle Tendancy... tommy gun) or is just Araki working his weird suspension of disbelief magic...

The end of battle Tendancy is a good asspull, because dumb solutions to serious problems are sprinkled through the arc. It makes sense for it to end that way. SDC not so much, kinda made the whole final battle less enjoyable >:(
rat_priestMar 31, 2020 11:49 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2020 12:05 PM

Jan 2020
rat_priest said:
zacisaweeb said:

THANKS I HATE IT

JoJos is filled with asspulls but I usually don’t mind, as long as corresponds with character development, is really funny (battle Tendancy... tommy gun) or is just Araki working his weird suspension of disbelief magic...

The end of battle Tendancy is a good asspull, because dumb solutions to serious problems are sprinkled through the arc. It makes sense for it to end that way. SDC not so much, kinda made the whole final battle less enjoyable >:(

I really only like it for the memes but it is stupid I will admit. Also, I do agree with you, Battle Tendency has some of the best asspulls. I absolutely love it. Part 2 > Part 3 anyday.
Mar 31, 2020 12:06 PM

Mar 2020
Catalano said:
Since I'm a One Piece connoisseur, lemme debunk that real quick.

Lucci was ruthless but he wasn't as strong as he thought he was back in Enies Lobby. The main reason of such thing is that he never learned Haki and he didn't have too much time to train on that. The reason why he never learned haki is because it would have required much more time whereas Rokushiki wouldn't. Also, Luffy's durability is the reason why he lost. Lucci probably would never have imagined suffering in that state of pain since you know, he is very arrogant and his own arrogance has cost a lot.
Vazka said:
Catalano said:

Shounen logic in a nut shell. Teen main character with not even a year of fighting experience beats someone that trained forever. Every single fight in One Piss.
That statement literally goes for every fighting anime, lol.
CheyneGreene said:
Vazka said:

and with sabo too, for the little time they had.
Vazka said:
CheyneGreene said:

Fighting the same person over and over as a kid shouldn't make him stronger than people with decades of experience.
Decades? Lucci was 28 back then and he was infiltrated for years and had no proper training to become much stronger. infiltrated for years and he hasn't too much experience since in most of the cases his enemies were weak. Have you see his flashback? He kills just some fodders, and that's about it.
Hrybami said:
Vazka said:

In defence of One Piece, Ace was actually one of the strongest character in One piece, so obviously Luffy had to profit. Also it's not like Luffy wasn't on his level. He had less experience in fighting than Lucci, but Luffy is about as strong as he is.
Ace was the weakest yonko commander. He didn't know haki even if he had all three. He never mastered any of them and counted everything on his DF.
Mar 31, 2020 12:11 PM

Feb 2020
zacisaweeb said:
rat_priest said:

THANKS I HATE IT

I really only like it for the memes but it is stupid I will admit. Also, I do agree with you, Battle Tendency has some of the best asspulls. I absolutely love it. Part 2 > Part 3 anyday.

Yeah IK part 3 is way more iconic than 2, but part 3 is way way too long u_u
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2020 12:14 PM

Jan 2020
rat_priest said:
zacisaweeb said:

Yeah IK part 3 is way more iconic than 2, but part 3 is way way too long u_u

Part 3 is way too long I agree. It is the worst part besides Phantom Blood in my opinion.
Mar 31, 2020 12:16 PM

Dec 2016
TheFirmSword said:

Why would that qualify as an asspull? He got what he want by making an equivalent exchange. It didn't come with no cost, and it was consistent with the show's own internal rules.
Mar 31, 2020 12:22 PM

Oct 2010
@Damerino if we're talking haki we get the God Enel problem, for he used haki (mantra), I know Luffy was rubber but still, Luffy only gave Enel a hard punch and game over.

Since when durability was Luffy's trait? we found out there.

Well, picking on it isn't my style, if you debunk the fights you get inconsistencies, like I said, I enjoyed Luffy beating that mothefvcker
Mar 31, 2020 12:22 PM
Jan 2018
Early_ said:
Ooo, pretty much every asspulls that happens in Jojo adds some characters to it and I don't mind it at all, but my favourite one is when Joseph pulls out a tommygun out of his ass and spray it all over, that was nice.

Insert scarface gif here .

"SAY HELLO to my little friend"
Mar 31, 2020 12:32 PM

Mar 2020
Catalano said:
@Damerino if we're talking haki we get the God Enel problem, for he used haki (mantra), I know Luffy was rubber but still, Luffy only gave Enel a hard punch and game over.

Well, picking on it isn't my style, if you debunk the fights you get inconsistencies, like I said, I enjoyed Luffy beating that mothefvcker
No No, Lucci knew about that but no one had the time to teach him that since he was sent fairly young to Enies Lobby.

We don't since Enel rarely used mantra anyways. He used a few times to dodge some attacks and he pretty much gave up in that since he was pretty confident on his power and was really pissed off that the fight was dragging for far too long. Enel is the epitome of arrogance, to be honest. He's probably the number one in the One Piece world. That's because he had never met people who can give him a run for his money.
Mar 31, 2020 12:46 PM

Oct 2010
Damerino said:
Catalano said:

No No, Lucci knew about that but no one had the time to teach him that since he was sent fairly young to Enies Lobby.

We don't since Enel rarely used mantra anyways. He used a few times to dodge some attacks and he pretty much gave up in that since he was pretty confident on his power and was really pissed off that the fight was dragging for far too long. Enel is the epitome of arrogance, to be honest. He's probably the number one in the One Piece world. That's because he had never met people who can give him a run for his money.

so, you're saying Luffy simply had more raw power. Still, Lucci was pretty experienced, we know Luffy trained in the past, but both had a devil fruit power, i still think it was an asspull
Mar 31, 2020 12:55 PM

Feb 2015
No, in example, Madara's death in naruto was something that discouraged me to finish the series forever.

they ruined an entire series in 1 episode xd
Mar 31, 2020 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
Ferien said:
TheFirmSword said:

Why would that qualify as an asspull? He got what he want by making an equivalent exchange. It didn't come with no cost, and it was consistent with the show's own internal rules.

No... wtf was that door?? No explanation in the series. Why would Ed lose his alchemy ability??
What makes one a alchemist and other not?

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

95 by FFandMMfan »»
1 minute ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - 4 hours ago

13 by KousakaK »»
4 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 15

92 by AxiaG »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime Time Capsule

eli_shmeli - Apr 16

28 by Atashi_Agatha »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

137 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.