Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Mar 28, 2:50 PM

Always depressing. I've always enjoyed sad endings, probably because they tend to stick with you longer and have a bigger impact. The worst ones are the bittersweet endings. They always get me :(

Mar 28, 2:51 PM

depends on my mood but generally comedy
not sure what "depressing" means though -- like dark/heavy topic? i tend to enjoy anime like that anyway. but dramas that are meant to make you cry? i usually find those boring

Mar 28, 3:06 PM

I mostly like funny anime, but depressing ones are also fine.

I'd say, a mixture of both is the best for me.

Allow me to teach you something useful:
My Top 20 Japanese Cartoons
Elitists in a nutshell
Many people say that anime is not a cartoon.
But in the end, they're nothing more but drawings on paper.

Mar 28, 4:38 PM

I actually like both, i enjoy funny series since it makes me feel good with all the laughter. However depressing series are realistic and relatable, you can see yourself in a character with their personal struggles and choices. They tend to have an impact in your life in someway and portrays powerful messages and themes. I highly value an impactful, memorable story in an anime, therefore i'm leaning more towards depressing.

Mar 28, 4:46 PM
Lalazee said:
I actually like both, i enjoy funny series since it makes me feel good with all the laughter. However depressing series are realistic and relatable, you can see yourself in a character with their personal struggles and choices. They tend to have an impact in your life in someway and portrays powerful messages and themes. I highly value an impactful, memorable story in an anime, therefore i'm leaning more towards depressing.

The same. Shame there's ni "like" button :D

Mar 28, 6:16 PM

Depressing. The best way not to get laugh lines is just not to laugh.

"Huh? Rule, rule, rule, what?
Rule, ru- What are you? A ruler?
Screw you damn roulette, I'll break it!"

Mar 28, 6:45 PM

I don't watch many comedies even tho I like to laugh a lot. I prefer to watch something depressing.

“The broken weapon of the gods. I was once called as such. I don't think that was mistaken, I mean, I'm sure I'm broken after all.”

Mar 28, 6:47 PM

depressing

i prefer a serious atmosphere over a relaxing one

Mar 28, 6:48 PM
I like both in moderation
(being honest if the thing is quality nonsense comedy i will hardly find it bad)

Mar 29, 1:54 PM

Depends on my mood.. I like a mix of both..

Mar 29, 2:37 PM
Watch the first three episodes of Angel Beats. It'll take you from one side of the spectrum to the other in just one short hour.

Mar 29, 2:42 PM
Stay at home

I watch depressing anime to later watch funny series.

Mar 29, 2:44 PM

Depressing, because my sense of humor Sucks and I can't vibe with most comedies

Mar 29, 2:44 PM

I don't want to watch a sob story, but if it's good I'll watch it. The last thing I want to watch is a badly made show that was meant to be a tear-jerker.

Mar 29, 2:45 PM

I prefer an unholy mix of both.Makes me wanna rethink my life choices.

Mar 29, 2:48 PM

I d say action, but if that s not on the menu, funny then.

I refuse to watch sad stuff, tearjerkers or too much drama in general; it's absolutely not for me.

Mar 29, 2:53 PM

Stuff like Steins;Gate has a bit of both

Mar 29, 3:02 PM

Most of my depressing anime in my list came as a surprise (I did not know it was going to turn in that way) but in my own opinion you have to have a balance. To answer your question, I seriously don’t have a favorite… but the thing I prefer is quality.

Mar 29, 3:48 PM

It all depends on mood if you're sad then watch funny animes. I rarely watch these depressing shows

Mar 29, 4:00 PM

I prefer more serious anime (not necessarily depressing) with a more calm atmosphere rather than anime with constant comic relief. I watch more happy anime when I'm in mood tho.

Mar 29, 4:05 PM

WatchTillTandava said:
I definitely prefer dramas to comedies, because I rarely find much of anything in scripted comedies actually humorous - not just in anime, but in anything. Drama to me is however emotionally poignant, moving, etc. I don't mind when dramas and other genres have some random comedy mixed in sparingly though (as in some dramedies) as long as it doesn't dominate the entire focus and purpose of the show. I guess "pure" comedies are what I generally dislike.

And I do not understand the trend of referring to dramas and more serious shows, including ones with dark and visceral content or even tragic endings as "depressing". To me they are not depressing. They enable me to really think and feel at a high level; to really feel alive. They do not depress me. I find their ability to really turn "on" and engage my brain and heart exhilarating and never "depressing".

this sums my thoughts up so well! sometimes i find the comedy mixed into dramas more funny because it feels more unexpected and natural, rather than forced. and even "depressing" shows etc can be really beautiful in their exploration of human nature

Mar 29, 4:11 PM
I want BALANCE. I adore when a show or manga or anything really can provide a good balance of feelings.

Mar 29, 4:14 PM
Whatever

I actually prefer it, if an anime got both. If it's almost always depressing, it could give away the feeling of trying too hard to be serious and depressing. Then it's hard to appreciate and feel for the sad moments. You need to live through good moments with the character as well to feel with them, imo.
But overly I like drama way more than comedy, especially anime comedy is rarely my cup of tea. If I could choose, I want both in an anime.

Mar 29, 4:18 PM
bad and sad because funny stuff always becomes stale or repetitive

Mar 29, 5:16 PM

I prefer an anime that makes me laugh, but im still able to appreciate anime that make me cry

Mar 29, 5:19 PM

A funny anime special if it a random comedy.

Mar 29, 5:32 PM

Definitely happy, or at least with a happy ending. I know how to appreciate a "depressing" anime too, but I usually watch those only if I don't know about it.
For example, I watched the first season of "Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu" and it was amazing, but also depressing... even though I thought, and I still think, that it’s a great anime, I couldn't bring myself to watch the second season. I always say I'm gonna watch it when I'll be in the mood for something sad, but, honestly, I don't think I'm gonna watch it soon.
Did you know? There are four kinds of people. A person that will never ride a wrong bus. A person that will only ride a wrong bus. A person that thinks he is on the wrong bus and he immediately changes it. A person that is on the wrong bus and knows it, but continues riding it anyway.

Mar 30, 4:20 AM
Whatever

epidemia78 said:
If I had to choose one of the three I'd definitely go for happy. My anime preferences definitely trend toward the upbeat, optimistic side of things. That being said, a careful balance of happy and sad moments is ideal. That's where you find classics that will stick with you for a long time.

It seems weird to me that anyone would want to watch something that makes them feel "bad" but I think there is a market for that sort of thing especially among the elitist types.

I think these have greater impact than comedy, or at least pure comedy.
Also to me, I don't feel bad, it just has a big impact on me. In general, I don't think that sadness etc should be seen as "bad feelings" or as solely negative, because it's normal that you will experience every feeling in your life and they can be good for you as well.

Most sad anime do have some kind of more positive or mixed ending from my experience. There is even a new word (or I just never heard of before) of subsubgenre for that I really learned to like now, that is Hopepunk. Which means that the story has all in all still a lot of positive things about it and its characters, even if the overall tone isn't all sunshine and rainbows. It's called hopepunk, because hoping for something good is some kind of revolutionary now, I guess lol
https://www.google.at/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2018/12/27/18137571/what-is-hopepunk-noblebright-grimdark
Hopepunk says that genuinely and sincerely caring about something, anything, requires bravery and strength. Hopepunk isn’t ever about submission or acceptance: It’s about standing up and fighting for what you believe in. It’s about standing up for other people. It’s about DEMANDING a better, kinder world, and truly believing that we can get there if we care about each other as hard as we possibly can, with every drop of power in our little hearts.

Sounds pretty nice, huh? ^^

I also like this kind of melancholic atmosphere in some of my favorite anime and manga. When there are light scenes inbetween (or dark scenes inbetween the light), but it doesn't cover the stuff that isn't so light.
That's what I love for example about Ghibli movies too. They show that the world is beautiful but they don't cover the not so happy themes in them either. They do a great job on that, imo.
For me, especially Natsume and Noragami and also some others caught that specific feeling very well.

Mar 30, 4:22 AM

I prefer funny ones. I don't wanna be depressed when watching something.

Mar 30, 4:32 AM

Both. I am game for watching anything.

Mar 30, 4:51 AM

I need more konosuba in my life.....

Mar 30, 4:58 AM

Doesn't matter if it is well made. I'm fed up with all those retarded ecchi comedies, dumb romcoms, repetitive comedies, as well as cheap and boring tearjerkers and lame Shinkai/Miyazaki/KyoAni (-ish) things.
I love when the show is made well, in both comedic and dramatic aspects

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 30, 5:03 AM

I prefer funny anime, it's simpler to me to like funny anime than depressing anime. It depends by the anime anyway.

Mar 30, 5:06 AM

I find depressing anime funny, so I'm OK with both.
Fun things are still fun.

Mar 30, 9:39 AM

Maneki-Mew said:
epidemia78 said:
If I had to choose one of the three I'd definitely go for happy. My anime preferences definitely trend toward the upbeat, optimistic side of things. That being said, a careful balance of happy and sad moments is ideal. That's where you find classics that will stick with you for a long time.

It seems weird to me that anyone would want to watch something that makes them feel "bad" but I think there is a market for that sort of thing especially among the elitist types.

I think these have greater impact than comedy, or at least pure comedy.
Also to me, I don't feel bad, it just has a big impact on me. In general, I don't think that sadness etc should be seen as "bad feelings" or as solely negative, because it's normal that you will experience every feeling in your life and they can be good for you as well.

Most sad anime do have some kind of more positive or mixed ending from my experience. There is even a new word (or I just never heard of before) of subsubgenre for that I really learned to like now, that is Hopepunk. Which means that the story has all in all still a lot of positive things about it and its characters, even if the overall tone isn't all sunshine and rainbows. It's called hopepunk, because hoping for something good is some kind of revolutionary now, I guess lol
https://www.google.at/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2018/12/27/18137571/what-is-hopepunk-noblebright-grimdark
Hopepunk says that genuinely and sincerely caring about something, anything, requires bravery and strength. Hopepunk isn’t ever about submission or acceptance: It’s about standing up and fighting for what you believe in. It’s about standing up for other people. It’s about DEMANDING a better, kinder world, and truly believing that we can get there if we care about each other as hard as we possibly can, with every drop of power in our little hearts.

Sounds pretty nice, huh? ^^

I also like this kind of melancholic atmosphere in some of my favorite anime and manga. When there are light scenes inbetween (or dark scenes inbetween the light), but it doesn't cover the stuff that isn't so light.
That's what I love for example about Ghibli movies too. They show that the world is beautiful but they don't cover the not so happy themes in them either. They do a great job on that, imo.
For me, especially Natsume and Noragami and also some others caught that specific feeling very well.

Hopepunk, eh? I kinda like it. Says a lot about the times we live in that depression and cynicism is romanticized and happiness is now weird and subversive.

Another good example of that concept is Girls Last Tour. Two girls trying to survive in a bleak, post apocalyptic world but they're just happy to be alive and share humble pleasures: food, warmth... together.
----------------------------------------------

Mar 30, 9:47 AM

I'd prefer a funny anime because I use games and anime as an escape for real life, why would I want to watch something that I know is going to make me cry?
I don't understand how you can binge hundreds of episodes of the same anime, like damm does it not get boring after a while.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 30, 4:23 PM

Depressing anime, always. The stories told are more engaging, compelling and overall interesting. Also they stay with you longer. After all your brain remembers what it views as impactfull, more than any pleasant experience.

Mar 30, 4:27 PM

Depressing, I guess. Anime comedy almost never hits the mark for me, bar maybe ~5 shows. But it's usually stuff that's not even primarily recognized as comedy that I find the funniest, such as The Tatami Galaxy. Overall, if you showed me two anime, one being marketed as a comedy and the other a gloomfest, I'll always choose the latter.

Mar 30, 4:28 PM
I wouldn't call it depressing but I definitely prefer darker and more serious stuff. I do enjoy goofier shows too though like Trigun.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]