Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Mar 26, 7:53 PM

Well, do you prefer an anime that makes you happy and fun or makes you feel bad and sad?

Mar 26, 7:57 PM

Depressing anime, always

Those animes make me think of my horrible life

Mar 26, 8:03 PM

If I had to choose one of the three I'd definitely go for happy. My anime preferences definitely trend toward the upbeat, optimistic side of things. That being said, a careful balance of happy and sad moments is ideal. That's where you find classics that will stick with you for a long time.

It seems weird to me that anyone would want to watch something that makes them feel "bad" but I think there is a market for that sort of thing especially among the elitist types.
----------------------------------------------

Mar 26, 8:05 PM
Most of my favorites do a little bit of both so... I guess I don't really have a preference. (I wouldn't call it feeling bad though)

Mar 26, 8:06 PM

I like a mix of both. Sometimes when I only watch comedy animes, I'll usually watch a depressing or horror anime to balance out my thoughts. And vice versa, if I watch too much depressing stuff, I'll go on youtube and watch clips of Umaru-chan or just find a new comedy anime to start on.

Mar 26, 8:09 PM

To be honest, most anime humor comes off as more tiresome than funny. I'd rather feel sad than spend the whole time cringing at the unfunny, over-the-top reactions.

Mar 26, 8:11 PM

The best shows are able to be both, but if I had to pick from the two funny shows are honestly harder to produce and overall better when done right. Some “depressing shows” just rely on cheap tricks, for example I Want to Eat Your Pancreas.

Mar 26, 8:13 PM

funny/wholesome because I hate negative feelings and I'd rather not feel like a sack of shit for the remainder of the day.

Mar 26, 8:14 PM

Maybe because I'm a happy person, that I prefer depressing anime; because I find them more interesting. However, I still like funny anime (when I can find funny anime, that is).
I live by the waifu, and die by the waifu

"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Mar 26, 8:19 PM
When you can find a funny anime you like, is one of the best feelings ever. Ngl i really love Konosuba and watched it countless times, its joyful and entertaining what's more to ask ?

But man, the animes that stick to me the most are the ones that have that feeling, that scene or something to make a memory of and those are definitely where the depressing anime department shine. While i can't get myself to rewatch Shigatsu wa kimi no Uso the last scene the letter to Kousei is a top 5 moment in any media for me.

So yes i do believe there's room for both, but i prefer the depressing anime since they stick to me more and definitely have a shape in my being

Mar 26, 8:25 PM

I definitely prefer dramas to comedies, because I rarely find much of anything in scripted comedies actually humorous - not just in anime, but in anything. Drama to me is however emotionally poignant, moving, etc. I don't mind when dramas and other genres have some random comedy mixed in sparingly though (as in some dramedies) as long as it doesn't dominate the entire focus and purpose of the show. I guess "pure" comedies are what I generally dislike.

And I do not understand the trend of referring to dramas and more serious shows, including ones with dark and visceral content or even tragic endings as "depressing". To me they are not depressing. They enable me to really think and feel at a high level; to really feel alive. They do not depress me. I find their ability to really turn "on" and engage my brain and heart exhilarating and never "depressing".

Mar 26, 8:26 PM

Nyaarlothotep said:
To be honest, most anime humor comes off as more tiresome than funny. I'd rather feel sad than spend the whole time cringing at the unfunny, over-the-top reactions.

Hey, would you mind taking a look at this scene? tell me if you think it's funny or cringe...

First, a little setup not included in the clip. Kud, (the little blonde) asks Kurugaya (black hair) advice on how to be "cool". Kurugaya is a troll so tells her the sure fire way to be cool is to begin ever sentance with "Goddamn" and end it with "touch me and I'll beat the crap out of you".

This is the result:

Mar 26, 8:29 PM

I literally like both types of anime.
My Profile Favorites has stuff like Madoka Magica (depression guaranteed), Angel Beats (good feels next to that dark humor), and Bottle Fairy (pure unadulterated innocence in a bottle) lol

Mar 26, 8:31 PM

Depressing because they tend to be more impactful. I generally don't like most comedies and don't find them funny.

What's the difference?

Mar 26, 8:31 PM
Funny. Depressing and bittersweet anime can be really good, but funny anime puts me in a good mood and I'm always far more likely to gravitate towards something lighter than something darker

Mar 26, 8:35 PM

Wasn't the most awkward thing I've seen, but wasn't too funny either. It was a mildly cute gimmick but doesn't hold up on repetition. If I had to pick between "funny" and "cringe", I would have to pick "cringe", though.

Mar 26, 8:38 PM

Nyaarlothotep said:

Wasn't the most awkward thing I've seen, but wasn't too funny either. It was a mildly cute gimmick but doesn't hold up on repetition. If I had to pick between "funny" and "cringe", I would have to pick "cringe", though.

Aw, too bad. I think it's great 10/10 epic lol material. Thanks for answering though

Mar 26, 8:42 PM
Depends on how depressing. If all the characters die or some shit, I'd rather not. Something like Your Lie in April, Cross Game, and 5CM per second hit though.

Mar 26, 8:44 PM
Pro Shonen Dork

Definitely funny. Hate to sound cliche but Clannad practically ruined any depressingly sad series for me. The only one I really have hope for at this point is Texhnolyze.
What a beautiful Duwang

Mar 26, 8:44 PM

Depressing obiously. When you're feeling sad, the best cure is to feel worst.
I love you man<33333333

Mar 26, 8:45 PM

Depends what I'm in the mood for. I don't really like watching consecutive comedies or consecutive sad animes, etc....I like to change it up a lot.

Mar 26, 8:47 PM

Jus1294 said:
Definitely funny. Hate to sound cliche but Clannad practically ruined any depressingly sad series for me. The only one I really have hope for at this point is Texhnolyze.

Try Chrono Crusade.........................

Mar 26, 8:48 PM

Well, I enjoy watching high school girls play music and drink tea, as much as I like watching a 14 year old boy going trough chronic depression so....both I guess.
K-On! Is Objectively The Best Anime Of All Time.

Mar 26, 8:57 PM

Depends of my mood, although I'm always prefer choose happy anime bro ❤︎

What do I like? Well, myself, of course! I'm the flower of Olympia, after all!

Mar 26, 8:58 PM

Funny. I'm too depressed recently so need balance.

Mar 26, 9:01 PM

Personally if I had to choose I'd rather go for funny. Unfortunately it's been a while since I've found a genuinely hilarious show ala Gintama or Love Lab but I'd still prefer a happy one over a sad one. It's kinda weird though, going into shows where you know it's gonna end up being a sad one like Your Lie in April or I Want to Eat Your Pancreas, it's funny though cause those are the ones one would usually want to see a happy ending to (which I guess means the shows are doing their job right)

epidemia78 said:
It seems weird to me that anyone would want to watch something that makes them feel "bad" but I think there is a market for that sort of thing especially among the elitist types.

eh I wouldn't really say that, said elitist types would probably write that off as "melodrama" anyway lol
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Mar 26, 9:04 PM
Pro Shonen Dork

epidemia78 said:
Jus1294 said:

Try Chrono Crusade.........................

Added to PTW, but I'll keep expectations low just in case. Been told Your lie in April, Ef, Anohana, 3-gatsu, and Angel Beats were all big time side and none of them filled the hole.
What a beautiful Duwang

Mar 26, 9:11 PM
Golden comedy like Great Teacher Onizuka is great, moe comedy is just hot garbage

Mar 26, 9:28 PM

I love both, but right now, I have been watching more happy stuff.

Mar 26, 9:55 PM

Depends the mood im in when im searching for a new anime to start watching, but mostly i go for comedy.

Mar 26, 9:55 PM

What kind of people enjoy sadness? I don't see that as entertainment.

Mar 26, 10:18 PM

funny animes have creativities.
depressing animes have good stories.

I like both, but I would pick depressing animes.

Mar 26, 10:36 PM

I prefer it funny since my life is already sad

Mar 27, 12:37 AM

Both.. Just maybe in turns..
Also there are more drama I didn't enjoy.. I didn't enjoy some comedy anime as well.. But with drama it more often can not work.. Because in drama you can disagree with many things, more serious topics being raised in there.. While in comedy, it's just someone being annoying at worst..
But also more dramas among my favorites, than comedy series, really.. Best drama works can hit much more.. And give much more thoughts and feelings..

Mar 27, 12:59 AM

Animes that make me feel happy and fun because depression is overrated.

Mar 27, 12:59 AM

Funny anime 100%

I'm depressed enough as is lmao
Even a broken clock is right twice a day

Mar 27, 1:09 AM
Both, i prefer animes that have both things, and those are mega weird to find, like full metal alchemist brotherhood or Hunter x Hunter, they have both funny things that make you laugh out loud and also sad things that make you cry and never forget.

But in general i prefer optimistic animes, Happy, funny, fantasy animes (no isekai, i mostly hate those) i like konosuba but men many isekai are the worse ... Anyway, Happy anime. but

sometimes reading a manga or watching a anime that is mostly sad, is good to balance out, like berserk, Evangelion... And even made in abbyss (while i start made in abbys for the colorful Adventure ) i end Up with the most depressive shit i ever read, everything is so gore, but still read It, however im angry about It cuz i wanted nice things but get gore againts kids .

Mar 27, 1:28 AM
usually a depressing one. depressing ones just hit a little bit harder and impact me the most. but i can enjoy a good comedy one if im in the mood for lighthearted anime. but some comedy anime just aren't funny to me.
[img align=left][/img
Anime List

Manga List

Mar 27, 4:55 AM

I think I prefer happier funny shows than to depressing ones but I think thats only because I tend to watch more of them shows . I can appreciate a good depressing story though but then I just end up watching more moe shoes after.

Mar 27, 8:37 AM

Depressing, but only if they're actually relatable, like with NHK. Shit like Your Lie in April and Pancreas needs to get the fuck out of my face,

Mar 28, 9:21 AM
Really don't have a preference. They both have their place....

Mar 28, 9:35 AM

I try and mix and match depending on how I'm feeling.

Most of the time I prefer funny, easy watching (recently things like Girls Bravo, Gabriel DropOut, Freezing & Armed Girls Machiaveliamism), but every now and then I enjoy watching a show that elicits sad, heartfelt or poignant feelings (recently that includes March Comes In Like A Lion & Ergo Proxy).

I like anime to make me feel a range of emotions.

Mar 28, 10:18 AM

Funny.

My life is depressing enough as it is (not complaining, it is what it is, doesn't really matter either way).
I look for the stuff that I can't get just by stepping out the door. Spice it up a bit, you know?
1 hour = 10,000 yen.
2 hours = 20,000 yen.
3 hours = 3 loaves of French bread.
4 hours = 4 loaves of French bread.

Mar 28, 10:21 AM

funnily depressing like "Welcome to the nhk"

Mar 28, 10:24 AM

Depressing anime are more relatable and emotional, funny anime are more fun. But ideally I like anime that combine comedy with drama. Not just completely braindead type of comedy. GTO is a great example for that.
Too Old To Die Young

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Mar 28, 10:38 AM

Both. Depressed show means Drama and funny show means comedy, right? If so, Drama and comedy are one of my favorite genre. I can't pick one over another, because I need them both.

When I feel depressed, I want something that raise my morale. On other word, I feel like I want to watch a comedy.

I watch Depressed shows because I feel like I want to. I don't have reason why feel like I want to watch them.

Mar 28, 1:05 PM
It depends on my mood. While I've always drawn toward sad anime, I love a little bit of humor every now and then.

Mar 28, 2:25 PM

Depressing, they usually have way more interesting stories, negative situations draw way more out of characters. Not talking about stuff like Goblin Slayer "oh look so much violence" that is shallow as a puddle. Also im pretty used to it, they dont effect me mentally as much anymore but just enough. And i dont find anime comedy funny, ill watch shows that make me feel good as well of course but not to laugh. Oh and also depressing anime can have uplifting moments as well, so i dont know why people write them off as pure depression fests.
Modified by Lil_hentai, Mar 28, 3:19 PM

Mar 28, 2:28 PM
Anime that makes me happy, because at times I need a lot of cheering up.

Mar 28, 2:48 PM

Depends on my current mood. If I'm feeling upbeat, then I probably won't seek to watch a depressing anime and vice versa.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »