Forums

The great responsibility of converting new fans

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Mar 26, 6:52 AM
i pay no ban pls

Stygian_Prisoner said:

You don't have to care

Eyyy, look at that. Someone even likes my posts, so now I have more of an incentive to keep doing what I've been doing.

Isn't that just great?

KatekyoGirl76 said:
Manaban said:

You're absolutely right. So I don't think I will.

Nice discussion. I'm glad we came to an understanding.

Your dry sense of humor is incredibly amazing. Please keep posting silliness. Thanks!

Mar 26, 6:58 AM

Stygian_Prisoner said:

You don't have to care (assholes are rarely self-aware enough to do so) or listen to me, of course; i'm not your dad.
But that won't stop me from calling you out on your toxic behavior because, while OP's idea of "recommendation responsibility" is admittedly silly, i truly fail to see how it would be offensive enough to warrant such an aggressive, profanity-fueled response from you.

But anyway, if acting like a prick is what helps you get your rocks off then, by all means, you don't have to stop on my account (you obviously won't). Do carry on with your pitiable self.
+1, I agree. Alright, now you have a morale boost as well. Especially since OP was specifically talking about his 2 friends who started to get into anime already.
Modified by Peaceful_Critic, Mar 26, 7:07 AM

Mar 26, 10:02 AM
Kind of funny how some people here are going off on the thought of guiding other people into Anime lol. He's asking for help. I will never understand those people who shittalk as a response instead of answering the question. Nobody here needs your two cents.

---

Anyway, before introducing them to stuff you like specifically, I'd say get them hooked to the medium. Death Note, Attack on Titan, and even Anime like SAO, Tokyo Ghoul and Mirai Nikki, are brilliant Anime to hook someone who hasn't had much to do with the medium before. It's important you give them something entertaining. They probably won't care what's "good", they just want to have fun.

The Shounen genre has a tremendous impact on Anime, particularly sports Anime, but even non-Shounen Anime will have some Shounen-like traits. So after getting them hooked with generic gateway Anime, try getting them into generic battle shounens. Not Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach or Fairy Tail, which take forever to finish, but rather My Hero Academia or Demon Slayer.

After that, you'll be more or less on the same stage. You can recommend them what they like, they'll watch it if they like, or they'll find stuff to watch on their own.

Mar 26, 10:08 AM

Quick and easy answer: Suggest popular "normie" series to them such as Attack on Titan, Assassination Classroom or even popular anime movies such as Your Name.

Feel free to add me ^w^ |đŸ’• Kiss--Shot-Acerola-Orion-Heart-Under-Blade đŸ’•|

Mar 26, 10:10 AM

I've never really felt like it's my personal responsibility to convert anyone. If people wish to join the holy church of anime tiddies, let that be by their own choice.

Mar 26, 11:07 AM

Just direct them to a place where they can watch shows then let them check out some stuff themselves until you know what their interests are. Then you can start recommending. I've only suggested shows to my friends that were already Anime fans so I don't have much experience with helping out someone that's fresh. However what works best with recommendations is suggesting them and saying a few good things about it then leaving it alone opposed to pushing it on them. After I suggested my friend the Fate franchise I just left it alone until he started showing me he was interested in it by asking me the watch order and stuff. That's when I started to get more hands on with answering any questions he had and helping him get more into it. Now he's a bigger Fate fan than I am lol.

Same with my friend who I got into One Piece. Around the time the Impel Down Arc just finished I told my friend he really needs to get into One Piece(Cause we both were shounen fans and grew up watching them) He basically told me One Piece is whack which is understandable when the only exposure you had coming up with it was the 4Kids crap. So I just left it alone. Fast forward like 2 months later and this dude is a bigger One Piece fan than I ever was lol.

My point is let them discover and organically generate interest in shows and genres. Then from there just suggest stuff and if they show interest then you can start getting more hands on in helping them.

Mar 26, 11:14 AM

Quick, somebody gets his ass another steroid!

no for real just let them watch what they want. Special anime in season right now is hataraku saibo

Mar 26, 12:39 PM

Just let them watch whatever looks good to them. If they want your opinion on a series, or a recommendation, then give one. Finally don't force your own preferences on them.

Mar 26, 12:56 PM

Manaban said:

Eyyy, look at that. Someone even likes my posts, so now I have more of an incentive to keep doing what I've been doing.

Isn't that just great?

Good for you, dude! It's nice to see you admit that you really do care about random stranger's opinions about you on the Internet, after all.

There's no shame in acceptance :)

Mar 26, 1:11 PM
i pay no ban pls

Stygian_Prisoner said:

Good for you, dude! It's nice to see you admit that you really do care about random stranger's opinions about you on the Internet, after all.

Of course I care about this person's opinion. They're telling me how great I am.

Who am I to deny the truth?

They also quite clearly have impeccable taste in AD regulars, which is enough of an indicator to treat their opinion with respect.

Mar 26, 2:35 PM

epidemia78 said:
trial by fire. Rec them them siscon and loli anime
*point the flamethrower at the epidemic*

why dont you rec me a siscon and a loli anime.......

go ahead, make my day.

Mar 26, 2:36 PM
i pay no ban pls

KuroudoAkabane said:

go ahead, make my day.

Kodomo no Jikan
Shoujo Ramune
OreImo
Yosuga no Sora

I haven't seen the second because it's too straight up loli for me and I'm not a lolicon, but I've heard great things about it from multiple people who are. And I think the latter two are great, and the first is aight I guess.
Modified by Manaban, Mar 26, 2:39 PM

Mar 26, 2:43 PM

KuroudoAkabane said:
epidemia78 said:
trial by fire. Rec them them siscon and loli anime

go ahead, make my day.

Better yet, why not both all in one?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32901/Eromanga-sensei
----------------------------------------------

Mar 26, 2:48 PM

lemme see.....

I see you like cats..... how about something with cats instead
epidemia78 said:
KuroudoAkabane said:

go ahead, make my day.

is that the one with the loli dragon?

Mar 26, 2:51 PM

KuroudoAkabane said:
lemme see.....

I see you like cats..... how about something with cats instead
epidemia78 said:

is that the one with the loli dragon?
That would be Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon.

Mar 26, 2:59 PM
QuantumNekomancy said:
So I might have accidentaly made two of my friends anime fans, and now I don't really know what next. Should I just aimlessly suggest my own favourites or guide them to Evangelion ect.? What about manga and long running shows and all weird stuff? Is this even safe?
I don't even know myself, if I'm joking right now or not. I just got some reason to start my first thread.

That's great! I have converted a few friends as well... some have more watchtime than me now.
But I find it hard these days to recommend something. People don't want long animes like Naruto or One Piece, and short ones are too short for them to enjoy in my opinion.. The people I'm talking about, if they don't like my recommendation, they'd probably never watch anime.. so there's that pressure.

What do you guys recommend these days? I had been going with Death Note, FMA

Mar 26, 3:16 PM

Depressing seeing that anime fans haven't changed at all from the 2000's. Like do people "convert" others to watching movies or reading poetry?

I'm pretty sure you would know better your friends' tastes than us strangers, if they actually want some recs. Otherwise shit isn't that much different from searching TV shows to watch.

Mar 26, 3:17 PM
i pay no ban pls

SiMPleT0N said:

Try Shoujo Ramune. It's a very accessible work for the average non-fan.

konkelo said:
Depressing seeing that anime fans haven't changed at all from the 2000's. Like do people "convert" others to watching movies or reading poetry?

Well, they're not organized religions, are they?

We are. It's why we have to figure out the best possible ways to convert people and make new fans, and clearly, this involves discussing the most general recommendations we can make to people as if they're total strangers to see what the best chance of converting somebody is. Because that's what we need to do. Go door to door in a button up shirt and tie and asking "Have you seen Death Note? What about Fullmetal Alchemist? Do you have a minute to talk about anime?" And applaud people for getting their friends into anime. This is imperative - they did it. They spread the one true fandom.

Everybody must know the joy of being an anime fan. They will accept the love of anime into their hearts and be brought salvation through it.

Amen.
Modified by Manaban, Mar 26, 3:53 PM

Mar 26, 3:39 PM

QuantumNekomancy said:
So I might have accidentaly made two of my friends anime fans, and now I don't really know what next. Should I just aimlessly suggest my own favourites or guide them to Evangelion ect.? What about manga and long running shows and all weird stuff? Is this even safe?
I don't even know myself, if I'm joking right now or not. I just got some reason to start my first thread.

Your paternalism is quite odd.

Anyway, I always think its best to recommend shows that currently match the types of non-anime shows your friends like.
Modified by SithSteel, Mar 26, 3:53 PM

Mar 26, 3:42 PM

Manaban said:
gwendal738 said:
Is... is this a cult now? X'D

It's always been one. Look at how many threads we get about gateway anime and trying to whittle down the best possible recs to create new converts as we can, and how many supportive responses those tend to receive.

"Why do people hate weebs? It has to be because of the tits and fanservice and shit. The stuff that's everywhere in media. It's not all because we act overbearing and weird about our hobby."

I'm reminded of a comment I read somewhere comparing weebs to religious proselytizers. The comparison is pretty apt with the exception that the wars aren't too bloody.

Mar 26, 3:45 PM

Manaban said:
SiMPleT0N said:

Try Shoujo Ramune. It's a very accessible work for the average non-fan.

konkelo said:

Well, they're not organized religions, are they?

We are. It's why we have to figure out the best possible ways to convert people and make new fans, and clearly, this involves discussing the most general recommendations we can make to people as if they're total strangers to see what the best chance of converting somebody is. Because that's what we need to do. Go door to door in a button up shirt and tie and asking "Have you seen Death Note? What about Fullmetal Alchemist? Do you have a minute to talk about anime?"

Everybody must know the joy of being an anime fan. They will accept the love of anime into their hearts and be brought salvation through it.

Amen.

I believe the correct term is "latom".

Mar 26, 3:46 PM
i pay no ban pls

SithSteel said:
Manaban said:

It's always been one. Look at how many threads we get about gateway anime and trying to whittle down the best possible recs to create new converts as we can, and how many supportive responses those tend to receive.

"Why do people hate weebs? It has to be because of the tits and fanservice and shit. The stuff that's everywhere in media. It's not all because we act overbearing and weird about our hobby."

I'm reminded of a comment I read somewhere comparing weebs to religious proselytizers. The comparison is pretty apt with the exception that the wars aren't too bloody.

I mean, I've been making this comparison for years now myself. The emphasis on creating new fans and how accepted that is here is just fucking creepy.

You should see a lot of the gateway anime threads that this shithole of a board pumps out and just how supportive/defensive of this mindset a lot of people can be. My favorite was the one time I was accused of gatekeeping for suggesting that maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't really care so much about creating new fans and just let people get into it naturally, if they want to.

Y'know, I was gatekeeping by advocating using social common sense. Don't shove thoughtless entertainment recs down people's throats, only rec shit to people you know well enough to know what they might be interested in, and make that rec because you actually think they might be interested in it by itself and not to spread your fucking hobby onto as many people as possible.
Modified by Manaban, Mar 26, 3:51 PM

Mar 26, 3:51 PM

Manaban said:
SithSteel said:

I mean, I've been making this comparison for years now myself. The emphasis on creating new fans and how accepted that is here is just fucking creepy.

You should see a lot of the gateway anime threads that this shithole of a board pumps out and just how supportive/defensive of this mindset a lot of people can be. My favorite was the one time I was accused of gatekeeping for suggesting that maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't really care so much about creating new fans and just let people get into it naturally, if they want to.

Y'know, gatekeeping by advocating using social common sense. Don't shove thoughtless entertainment recs down people's throats, only rec shit to people you know well enough to know what they might be interested in, and make that rec because they might be interested in it and not to get them into fucking anime.

I very well may have read a post you wrote saying the religion thing. What you're saying makes sense. Even gamers are more chill about their hobby than some anime fans.

Mar 26, 3:56 PM

Manaban said:

Do we have some sort of support group for anime fans who were tricked and didn't find happiness?

If not my other option is just watching some comedy ova about a dog wanting to fuck a japanese school girl.

Mar 26, 3:58 PM
i pay no ban pls

konkelo said:

If not my other option is just watching some comedy ova about a dog wanting to fuck a japanese school girl.

I've watched that one, actually!

I was bummed out that it wasn't as absurd as I wanted iirc. Like it had its moments, but for the most part it was just...a thing. Kinda dull.

Mar 26, 4:07 PM

Manaban said:
konkelo said:

I've watched that one, actually!

I was bummed out that it wasn't as absurd as I wanted iirc. Like it had its moments, but for the most part it was just...a thing. Kinda dull.

Well fuck and here I thought I would finally be happy about my life choices. Now I need to wait till weekend and see if having a drinking game while watching Junjo Romantica is my salvation.

Mar 26, 4:56 PM

Manaban said:
The great responsibility of creating new fans A) doesn't exist and B) is fucking creepy. You should only encourage it if they express some kind of interest in the first place. Jesus fucking christ, it's not a religion.

-------

Anyway, since they have expressed interest, just don't fucking bother guiding them towards anything. They are not babies in your care. They have the capabilities to make their own fucking choices. Don't worry about them.

If you actually want to help, point them to MAL or AniList or wherever. Show them the Database and maybe help them learn navigate it to find shit they're interested in.

Let them make their own choices. Unless they specifically ask you for recs, they can handle this shit themselves. If they do ask you for recs, make sure you know what they're interested in and tailor a rec around them as individuals rather than throwing some fucking "gateway" bullshit at the wall. If you don't know what they're interested in, ask "Well golly, what are you interested in?" and work your way from there.

It's so much easier than you're making it out to be.

Don't be silly, this is a religion, and force them to watch Eva
If you think it's cool to act like the MC of Oregairu, please don't talk to me.

Mar 26, 4:58 PM

Hokage_Jason said:
Naruto

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure that everyone already watched that (yes, even non weebs)
If you think it's cool to act like the MC of Oregairu, please don't talk to me.

Mar 26, 7:52 PM

Idea 1: send them back to western live action stuff and act like it never happened, say anime is way too cool and dangerous and street and it's not safe. Reverse psychology always works.

Idea 2: Movies before series. Much easier to sell people on anime with movies, probably. Miyazaki, Akira, Ghost in the Shell (1995), Patlabor 2 especially.

Idea 3: If it has to be a series, pick the normiest one you can find. I always try to go back to the recommendee's taste.

After considering for a while, I think JoJo on Netflix might be the best choice right now. It's weird and starts off very normie, with a few things going wrong along the way. It introduces them to Japan's style of comedy: slapstick, repetition, crude humor. Seasons 1 and 2 (26 eps) are pretty funny and cool and I think it would be good for non anime watchers.

Then if they like it, Egypt arc, Stardust Crusaders. If not, SOL. Mob Psycho I guess. Mushishi if nerds and they're already prepared to dip in.

If it's girls then tough luck, hope you know the taste. A Place Further Than the Universe or Laid-Back Camp would be my guess. Fruits Basket has always been good. If you have a crush on them then The Ancient Magus Bride and tell them you want to be their Magus.

Yuri on Ice maybe? You'll be able to suss out if they're a fujoshi or not.

Mar 26, 8:13 PM

I found ask what their favorites genres are and just recommend what you've watched in that category and let them decide themselves. I turned my friend into an anime fan and he likes shounen action anime so I just recommend him action anime that has fighting. They'll usually start to develop their own taste soon and find what they like

Mar 26, 10:10 PM

Most likely just let them watch what they want,and suggest them an anime base on what they like

Mar 27, 8:58 AM

GlennMagusHarvey said:

Kosmonaut said:
I'm asking because understanding Evangelion demands the highest level of otaku enlightment, only the chosen few will ever be able to appreciate the perfection and deep symbolism of the great message of this piece of post-modern post-truth positive proto-depression. This means, recommending it to someone that's not ready for it will throw them in a state of life contemplation that may lead them to becoming apathetic, or, in good and simple english, an useless potato.
ehh not really; Evangelion was one of the first few anime series I watched, and was responsible for convincing me that the anime medium was capable of serious dramatic storytelling.

Taking @Kosmonaut's shitposts at face value is like a litmus test for new users. It's embarassing to get caught as a 6k+ post user.

OT: You have no such duty. Just rec something as you normally would any other piece of entertainment.

Mar 27, 5:52 PM

Give them tokyo ghoul, attack on titan or my hero academia and there you go: you brewed a weeb.

Mar 27, 9:31 PM

Maybe let them sample some iconic anime of each genre and see what they end up liking? Or if not, just lead them to fullmetal alchemist (03 or brotherhood) honestly it’s the perfect first anime because it has a little bit of everything

Mar 28, 1:10 AM

It's like your friend trying out a game you've played before. Just let them do whatever they want. They probably just want to vibe. Don't force feed them with unnecessary things unless they asked you. But of course, I'm not telling you to not guide them or anything. Just know when's the limit and when's not.

Mar 28, 2:23 AM

No need for anime to become mainstream. We already have enough plebs.

Mar 28, 2:58 AM
Whatever

I ask them what kind of genres they already like in books and live action series. That's the best way to rec someone they might like.
I won't rec a horror anime to someone, who hates darker stuff in general.
All in all, Ghibli and some other movies, and something like FMAB are a great way to start.

Mar 28, 9:42 AM
Recommend AoT. It's the perfect anime for newbies.

Mar 28, 9:46 AM

rohan121 said:
Full Metal Alchemist 2003 and SAO are great gateway anime for newbies.
Those 2 should never be in the same sentence together.
"When you meet your God, tell him to leave me alone."

Mar 28, 9:47 AM

Just recommend them stuff you think they'll enjoy. No better way to get them more invested.
"When you meet your God, tell him to leave me alone."

Mar 28, 9:51 AM

operationvalkyri said:
Let them watch what they want to watch and figure it out themselves unless they ask you for recs.
I second this because to me recommending stuff is most certainly not the way forward. After all seeking that interest is part of the experience.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”

Mar 28, 10:12 AM

Luchse said:
operationvalkyri said:
Let them watch what they want to watch and figure it out themselves unless they ask you for recs.
I second this because to me recommending stuff is most certainly not the way forward. After all seeking that interest is part of the experience.
Yup. If I had introduced you to anime by recommending stuff you would have given up a few minutes into the first episode.

Mar 28, 10:21 AM

operationvalkyri said:
Luchse said:
Yup. If I had introduced you to anime by recommending stuff you would have given up a few minutes into the first episode.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement because I wouldn't even start it in the first place.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”

Mar 28, 10:27 AM

Luchse said:
operationvalkyri said:
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement because I wouldn't even start it in the first place.
I would have lured you in with an erotic picture of Gil and tricked you into watching Fate.

Mar 28, 10:30 AM

operationvalkyri said:
Luchse said:
I would have lured you in with an erotic picture of Gil and tricked you into watching Fate.
Going for my weak spots right off the bat, are we?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]