Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 24, 2020 2:25 PM

Feb 2011
I will miss this show a lot. It single handedly saved two anime seasons. Based show, 9/10
Mar 24, 2020 2:28 PM

Apr 2019

Hooo that was a good season finale!

Kinda wanted to Shinobu make an appearance this episode, but I guess we'll have to wait till season four to see her again 😥

Arata now his own Karuta club. Hopefully Chihaya and Taichi will join back so that they can play against each other at the high school tournament.

And Taichi seems to be getting trained by Suo, seems like he hasn't given up on Karuta yet!

Such a good series! Hopefully it won't be too long before we get a fourth season.
Gonna miss this anime till then! 8.6/10
Mar 24, 2020 2:32 PM
Mar 2013
They have skipped some stuff from the manga with this episode, but I hope they will come back with this in a new season. Looks like they didn't want to introduce new characters and end on negative note, when the new season is still not confirmed.
Mar 24, 2020 2:34 PM

Nov 2016
Oh damn. After so many fantastic episodes I planned to go with a 10 for this season, but this finale didn't quite live up to expectations, which is a shame. That said, I guess it makes sense to let it end like this, also because one moment in particular deserves it's own episode.

Still the best season overall, it had too many breathtaking highlights and was one hell of an emotional rollercoaster. Here's hoping for more Chihayafuru in the future and I'm optimistic.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 24, 2020 2:35 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I wonder if/when another season would come out. The manga doesn't feel like it has that much longer left to go, but there's still quite a lot of content left until the anime catches up. I think overall it'd probably need 5 seasons of this length to get the whole thing in (so another 2x 2-cours if so), which is a lot to ask these days, but I mean we've gotten this far and afaik the manga is pretty popular in Japan so it's not impossible. Can hope at least
Mar 24, 2020 2:37 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
MaahHeim said:
But they rushed things way too much! I'm really sad. They cut the scene that shows Tamaru's nasty personality and Chihaya leaving the club (I love how Kana-chan scolds her for her own good there)... And everyone saying that they've lost their Sun/Moon... And Taichi realizing he hated karuta and Suo praising him for being able to handle playing it for everyone else's sake for so long... The talk with the teacher in the beginning made me happy, also her memories and stuff, but from then on I felt like it was a mess. Even some lines seemed to have been recorded faster (like, people saying it fast) so everything would fit. I'm fairly disappointed, but I guess it was the studio's choice for time and stuff like that... I still would've prefered the sad ending...

Right, no wonder why the episode felt compressed and a few things kind of out of place. I was expecting them to sign off on a sorrowful note too given how last episode transpired but here’s to hoping this is just a good sign for continuity in the near future! Technically, it works the other way round but one can dream...

Damn, Sakurazawa-sensei sharing the info of not only Taichi's but Chihaya's retirement though. Definitely shook me to my core xD. It's a pity that studying and trying to focus elsewhere didn't do the trick but credit to the elderly teacher there for lending an ear firstly and then with that gold piece of advice.

Lots of focus on Arata this episode, and it was quite the treat indeed! Being a team leader and playing a team battle is completely different and it's nice to see how he's slowly starting to appreciate this.

Goes to show just how important a piece Taichi was to the foundation of Mizusawa's Karuta Club who managed to master that role from the get-go, with helpful support from Chihaya of course.

Those final moments were amazing, Taichi and Chihaya aren't down and out just yet! Just like how Arata was saved earlier from the two, now it's payback time. Really liked that message from this episode, "it is the encounter in life that make life worth living" as they say.

Overall, from the anime franchise thus far, this has easily been my favourite season of the three. I believe this is genuinely one of those shows that keeps getting better as it goes on. Character Depth and Drama with a pinch of exhilarating Karuta action and the divine elegance of Literature, I can't have enough of this lol. I'm really glad that they took the 6 month extension now that I look back on the season, the artstyle and animation quality has been brilliant for the most part after all.

It's been an eventful season from start to finish but the Omu Jingu matches were probably the highlight for me. Harada-sensei is just too bloody good! Didn't think I would find myself so intrigued by Suo-san either, if I'm to be frankly honest. Man, I need more of this now! Season 4, please! Best seasonal anime I've had the pleasure of keeping up with since SanGatsu no Lion S2 and Re:Zero!

Here's a little something for fellow fans (sorry it's not 4th Season announcement or such though):

Edit: Managed to stay up till 6 am despite having my Chemistry Theory Paper the day after tomorrow... Well, no regrets.
_MushiRock11_Mar 24, 2020 2:43 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 24, 2020 3:14 PM

Oct 2013
Once again we have pretty much balanced episode in the end of a season. I got used to it (something like that happened in the previous seasons as well) and once again I will say I like that kind of finale for shows like Chihayafuru. :) My only complaint is that it felt rushed... why we did not see Chihaya quitting the club?! :( While this season was the best from the three seasons already released, the finale was not that awesome because of that small flaws about very important stuff for the plot.

Arata formed a team and will have to find himself in a new role of a team's leader, so he needs to learnbe a lot. Luckily, he was able to find a lot of members and to learn fast bee things about leadership. :) Can't wait to see his team playing in the next season, maybe even against Mizusawa. ;p

I loved how everyone received proper character development in this season and matured throughout it not only as karuta competitive players, but mostly as just characters. We witnessed their evolution, both in karuta and in their personalities.

I can't wait to see more of it. So sad there was no official announcement of season 4 by the last episode of season 3... :( I really hope we will be able to see it soon, or at least its announcement.

About this season as a whole, it was great. The best up until now, with great characters, music, arts, perfect balance of many different genres. Simply fantastic. :) 10/10 score is fully deserved. If by any chance hypothetical season 4's content will happen to be better, then I might lover it in favor of giving 10/10 to season 4. ;)
Mar 24, 2020 3:41 PM

Jan 2013
Overall a good season, but the last episode was kind of bland in my opinion.
Mar 24, 2020 4:02 PM

Jun 2015
I think this was the best last episode of the three seasons.

Unlike finishing in the middle of nowhere and leaving you wanting for more, it achieves a sense of going full circle that almost feels like a genuine ending.
Mar 24, 2020 4:04 PM

May 2019
This was by far the best Chihayafuru season.

I'm glad the last episode was focused on Arata. It was super cute! For the first time he actually felt like he's a main character this season.

It's good the see Taichi in good hands. Suo is the one he needs right now. I hope we see more of their older brother-younger brother chemistry next season. If it ever happens T_T

I don't know what Chihaya is doing lol
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Mar 24, 2020 4:21 PM
Apr 2018
Even thought it was a little rushed this episode teared up seeing the new beginnings and beautiful bonds of the three.
Starting with the club, while the empress thought the club would be crushed with taichi's departure she was quite surprised and emotionally impressed with how the members are still holding up and doing their duties. Hanano taking up the teaching charge quite admirable, taichi leaving the responsibility to desktomu and nishida before going was touching. And they have quite a good amount of new players from the first years and one of them is a A class player.Quite interesting for the future of the club.

Chihaya in total depression, considering herself as the rock that crushed taichi and his feelings realizing after what he was going through. Really heartbreaking, but i cant completely blame her and feel bad for her as well. But Fukusaku sensei giving her wise knowledge of diverting her mind to study and be productive was good to see, which will atleast be beneficial to her in someway. He is really has been a wise figure throughout.

Speaking of productive, Taichi setting his mind towards a new beginning focusing on career and academics and showing signs that he indeed misses the club and karuta. But surprise surprise. his special classes teacher turns out to be suo himself xD Didnt see that coming. I guess now Taichi will be under Suo's wing learning Karuta and making a comeback & being more strong. I am glad he didn't quit Karuta.

Finally Arata, he is finally making a club. This is was such a refreshing and heartwarming scene. Him coming out of his shy shell and going around recruiting members,spreading the love of karuta, he is growing a lot. And now he finally has a team of his own even though its a little weak for now, but surely will grow strong.
Him hearing Chihaya and taichi quitting the club shook him down, but the experience of the team match with fujisaki brought him back and made him understand so much what chihaya wanted to relay him, the joy of playing with a team and reminiscing of his childhood days with Taichi & her and plus the anguish that he is always far away from them, helpless for them out in these dark times and longing to be with the two of them.

But that final scene, chihaya still in that depressed state & when Arata's message arrives, it just brings her back to life and reminds of how it was at the start when Arata was in darkness and significance of Taichis words and now Arata's doing the same as Taichi is in the dark phase and it saved chihaya and restored her hope again for karuta& that taichi too will surely comeback one day. And it seems even Taichi got some inspiration from it as well. Really made me tear up when the music started playing with the flashbacks.

Just love this trio & their bonds and hoping for a new season soon to see their amazing journey ahead, it will be worth the watch with all the feels and emotions along with the beautiful game of karuta.
Mar 24, 2020 4:41 PM

Oct 2012

Thanks for sharing the video! It didn't show up on my recommendations. I always find it so nice to see how many people are involved behind the scenes and their work... Like, we can't say that anime isn't an art form. As a manga reader I was disappointed with how the last episode turned out (expectations were high, and although I already knew they'd go up until a later chapter from the screenshots released for the last episode, I thought they'd do something different), but at the same time I'm well aware that the budget for Chihayafuru is never a lot (since it's a really niche anime and it never sells that well) and that everyone was doing their best to fit what they could of the story in the episodes they were given. It's amazing that we got a season 3 after so many years! Hahhh. But yeah! Ending on a bright note to give us hope for a season 4 for sure! Wishing real hard for the next one already! ♥
Mar 24, 2020 5:36 PM

Mar 2012
MaahHeim said:
Oh god ;________; They decided to go with the happy ending... I mean, I can understand why, it was also talked about in the "Where do you think Season 3 will end?"... But they rushed things way too much! I'm really sad. They cut the scene that shows Tamaru's nasty personality and Chihaya leaving the club (I love how Kana-chan scolds her for her own good there)... And everyone saying that they've lost their Sun/Moon... And Taichi realizing he hated karuta and Suo praising him for being able to handle playing it for everyone else's sake for so long... The talk with the teacher in the beginning made me happy, also her memories and stuff, but from then on I felt like it was a mess. Even some lines seemed to have been recorded faster (like, people saying it fast) so everything would fit. I'm fairly disappointed, but I guess it was the studio's choice for time and stuff like that... I still would've prefered the sad ending... With maybe a post-credit scene hinting at Arata's club or at Taichi coming back or even a scene from far onward, like, the nationals idk...

Anyway, 6 years waiting for this season and it finally ended. We were granted marvelous moments, great soundtrack and amazing matches. I really can't believe it's over. Here hoping for a fourth season, of course. I hope we can at least get it. And then a fifth one, just to wrap things up. If there is a 4th season I really hope they do a recap including the scenes that had to be cut off in this ending. God, I'm sad. But still, I will not let a rushed episode make me sad about the whole amazing journey that this season was. Taichi x Chihaya match, the Meijin/Queen matches, Taichi's confession, Hanano's confession, Murao x Arata match... So many scenes that I love so freaking much were finally adapted, including my favorites... I'm so glad we got this season. So, so glad.
So you think maybe if they had 25 episodes, it would have worked better?

This episode felt super rushed that I decided to read the associated manga chapters and then became very sad myself. I wish for an OVA to expand on Chihaya losing to that Tamaru girl while Nishida wanted Chihaya to take control and keep the noobs in line. Only reason I can imagine the cut all this for a happier note ending is they are not confident it is getting another season.

Nice to see Arata in a situation not involving a competition or at work. He was even nice to Yuu.
Mar 24, 2020 5:49 PM

Oct 2012
@1Kyo

Chihayafuru doesn't sell well, ever. They can never plan on a 4th season, only hope... It doesn't mean that a 4th season won't ever happen, but since, as always, it's unlikely, I believe the production made the decision to rush things to give a happy ending to the season... We can only hope that if the 4th season comes around, they fix it and show the scenes that were skipped.

@MetaKite

It would've! If they had just one more episode, it would've been so much better. They had to take 5 chapters and shove it all in this one episode. I mean, not "all". They selected a few scenes and went with those, focusing mostly on Arata's team since it's the "light" that could give this season the happy ending they wanted.

Usually, they adapt 2 chapters per episode, if in need, 2 and a half (something that happened twice this season, I think). 2 chapters per episode is the ideal lenght, but 2 and a half chapters can still make do... But cutting scenes and jumping here from there to cover 5 chapters just felt wrong.

It would've make more sense if they had focused more on the Mizusawa issue/Taichi issue to follow what happened on the last episode and give us proper conclusion on it, and then, maybe, show Arata's message by the end of the episode, to show that something had happened to him and that was a small hope that things could go back to normal... Or something? In any way it would still be hard to fit the rest in the episode. I guess the production really did what they could to reach the ending they had planned, but it's really disappointing and painful nevertheless... I hope you read from chapter 139 until chapter 143, those will give you a better explanation on what happened to Taichi/Chihaya/Mizusawa...
Mar 24, 2020 5:56 PM

Jul 2014
I'm so relieved that Chihayafuru S3 turned out to be the same level of quality as the previous seasons.

I was worried because Madhouse seemed like they were in a long slump with the last great series they produced being SoraYori. That was in the beginning of 2018. If they couldnt get back on their game with their best long running series (sorry Overlord, its not even close), then not only would it have been a huge disappointment for Chihayafuru fans but also a sign that there truly is no hope left for the studio. Needless to say, my fears have been quelled. May this beloved series and studio continue to see more love and success in the future.
Mar 24, 2020 6:13 PM

Feb 2018
Just as Taichi told Chihaya that Arata will eventually come back when he was separated from the group, Arata told Chihaya that Taichi will come back after he quit the club.

A bit of an emotional last couple episodes, especially for the legions of Taichi fangirls out there, but that was a nice note to end on.

I don't know if we'll ever get a season 4, but I sincerely hope so, as I'm not a manga reader. It was tough to say goodbye to this and Eizouken without knowing if they'll return in like a 48 hour span :(
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Mar 24, 2020 6:21 PM

Apr 2018
What a great season. Totally worth the long wait.

Now, just like everyone else here I'll have to live in despair waiting for another season that might or might not happen. I hope Madhouse surprises us once again soon... like in less than 6 years, please!!!

If not I'll try to read the manga. I can't leave these lovely characters in oblivion.
Mar 24, 2020 7:20 PM
Sep 2017
All I can say is, I join my voice to those pleading for a Season 4, and it would be REALLY great if it’s in the not TOO distant future. I’ve grown to love these characters, especially Arata and Chihaya, and I want to see the rest of their story come alive. Please, Madhouse! <3
Mar 24, 2020 7:49 PM

Oct 2013
@MaahHeim , I think this ending was the worst part of this season, unfortunately. The creators packed too much content into it, making the plot of this episode quite a mess. Why? Simply because we saw a lot of informations only mentioned that could be treated like something not important, while they were important as hell, like mentioned by many people earlier circumstances in which Chihaya left her beloved club. If you say they rushed with adapting 5 chapters into one episode, while usually they went with 2 per episodes, then it's obvious this episode felt as it felt.

I won't change my score given to Chihayafuru, of course. I am just disappointed that such a great season had that kind of chaotic ending with unbalanced pace. ;p It would've been better if we had received 25 episodes in total. By that 24th episode could've been for Chihaya leaving the club etc., and 25th episode could've focused on Taichi and mostly (and of course) Arata struggling to form his own karuta club.

I would love to see OVA telling everything that was mentioned in ep. 24, but was not expanded as it should have been.

@MetaKite , agreed. I haven't checked how manga depicted events missed in ep. 24, but I had in mind that for sure they were not as rushed as in anime. Reading further about everything that was skipped made me sad as well. I hope we will see OVA one day. Unadapted, important material from manga deserves to be adapted. If we will not be getting it, then I might just read the manga, lol. I'm worried we still haven't received any official announcement about Season 4. I had fingers crossed and wished to see it by the end of the last episode of Season 3.

About episodes, I think as well - even though, as I mentioned earlier, I am not familiar with manga - that perhaps 2 episodes instead of 1 could've solved the problem of skipping a lot of important material or rushing everything by packing many too many threads of scenes into one episode of an anime adaptation.

Anyway, which chapters cover events of this episode?
Mar 24, 2020 7:51 PM

Sep 2017
It's been SUCH a wild ride since I started the series back in January but wow!! I'm really gonna miss Chihayafuru. I don't know if I could survive waiting for 6 years for another season, man.
Mar 24, 2020 9:50 PM

Oct 2012
Holy shit, that last scene just set the foundations for Season 4. Taichi says, "I'll be there", looking forward, leaving a kind of double entendre about whether he's merely responding to Suou, or also spiritually to Arata. It looks like Chihaya and Taichi might be able to set aside their differences to answer Arata in this perfectly set up circle, with Chihaya saving Arata's karuta in Season 1, and now Arata responding in kind (thanks to @taupecity for this idea).

Man, the subtext is just what I love about this show. They NEED to finish this.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 24, 2020 10:09 PM

Jan 2020
Being a manga reader, I just have one thing to say: I’m so disappointed with this episode
SapertinnyMar 25, 2020 11:29 AM
Mar 24, 2020 10:18 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
MaahHeim said:
Thanks for sharing the video! It didn't show up on my recommendations. I always find it so nice to see how many people are involved behind the scenes and their work... Like, we can't say that anime isn't an art form. As a manga reader I was disappointed with how the last episode turned out (expectations were high, and although I already knew they'd go up until a later chapter from the screenshots released for the last episode, I thought they'd do something different), but at the same time I'm well aware that the budget for Chihayafuru is never a lot (since it's a really niche anime and it never sells that well) and that everyone was doing their best to fit what they could of the story in the episodes they were given. It's amazing that we got a season 3 after so many years! Hahhh. But yeah! Ending on a bright note to give us hope for a season 4 for sure! Wishing real hard for the next one already! ♥

Sure, no problems! And I know right, it’s very pleasing to see how much care and effort goes into these productions. Anime is an art form through and through, there’s no doubt about that.

Yeah, I know how niche this series, unfortunately, is. Season 3 was only made possible because of the dedicated fans of the franchise and possibly the Karuta Society in real life (since Chihayafuru has proven to be quite effective in pooling in casual fans of the sport and whatnot). Despite how much I yearn for more, I’d still come to terms if this is the last instalment of the anime franchise. Coming back after 6 long years itself is most gratifying for me, honestly, and I’ll be forever grateful to MadHouse for making this happen.

You made a good point about trying to get as far ahead of the source material as possible due to limited budget. That really lightens my mild disappointment of the finale, so thanks for that!

Mar 24, 2020 10:40 PM
Apr 2016
Ouch, just thinking about how Arata felt upon hearing the news about Chihaya and Taichi hurts me.

Hopefully someday, we'll get a fourth season!
Mar 24, 2020 10:44 PM
Aug 2016
Adnash93 said:
@MaahHeim , I think this ending was the worst part of this season, unfortunately. The creators packed too much content into it, making the plot of this episode quite a mess. Why? Simply because we saw a lot of informations only mentioned that could be treated like something not important, while they were important as hell, like mentioned by many people earlier circumstances in which Chihaya left her beloved club. If you say they rushed with adapting 5 chapters into one episode, while usually they went with 2 per episodes, then it's obvious this episode felt as it felt.

I won't change my score given to Chihayafuru, of course. I am just disappointed that such a great season had that kind of chaotic ending with unbalanced pace. ;p It would've been better if we had received 25 episodes in total. By that 24th episode could've been for Chihaya leaving the club etc., and 25th episode could've focused on Taichi and mostly (and of course) Arata struggling to form his own karuta club.

I would love to see OVA telling everything that was mentioned in ep. 24, but was not expanded as it should have been.

@MetaKite , agreed. I haven't checked how manga depicted events missed in ep. 24, but I had in mind that for sure they were not as rushed as in anime. Reading further about everything that was skipped made me sad as well. I hope we will see OVA one day. Unadapted, important material from manga deserves to be adapted. If we will not be getting it, then I might just read the manga, lol. I'm worried we still haven't received any official announcement about Season 4. I had fingers crossed and wished to see it by the end of the last episode of Season 3.

About episodes, I think as well - even though, as I mentioned earlier, I am not familiar with manga - that perhaps 2 episodes instead of 1 could've solved the problem of skipping a lot of important material or rushing everything by packing many too many threads of scenes into one episode of an anime adaptation.

You should start from Chapter 139 for a better understanding.
Mar 24, 2020 10:57 PM

Aug 2018
At least this ending of S3 much better than ending of S2 lol

Looks like this was an epilogue of upcoming team match between Mizusawa vs Arata's team.

I have a strong feeling that Taichi and Chihaya will come back in the club for Arata's sake because they been longing to play against Arata in a team match since S1.

Overall great season
A lot of memorable moments happened
personally gonna give this a 10/10
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Mar 24, 2020 11:07 PM
Aug 2018
So they skipped some Important parts from Manga I hope they add it on future somehow , But it was so awesome finale 😍

Let's hope we get season 4 🥰
Overall 10 from me 😍😍
Mar 25, 2020 12:51 AM

Dec 2014
hmmm that was a good episode to end it all...nice
Mar 25, 2020 2:02 AM

May 2018
Season 4 when? 10/10 from me.
Mar 25, 2020 2:37 AM
Mar 2020
I have to say I am not disappointed with this season at all ...but I'm disappointed it ended way too soon.....

Hope we are getting s4 soon🤗🤗
Mar 25, 2020 3:31 AM

Sep 2013
A bit risky giving this final episode to Arata but wow that was worth it,i was scared the end of this season would be disappointing (or a bad original ending) but it gave me hype and i really hope they'll make a fourth season.

Deep dark fantasies
Mar 25, 2020 4:10 AM

Oct 2012
All in all the season was great. A bit disappointed by the last episode that didn't faithfully follow the manga's chronology, leaving out important scenes making me lose hope for a 4th season. They sort of lightened up the atmosphere by skipping all the drama that is going on in Tokyo while Arata is unobliviously making his club.

It felt a bit frustrating but I understand they probably had no other "good" options.....

Anyway it was a great ride and crossing fingers for that 4th season if ever.....
Mar 25, 2020 7:18 AM

Oct 2015
UglyBarnacle said:
I'm so relieved that Chihayafuru S3 turned out to be the same level of quality as the previous seasons.

I was worried because Madhouse seemed like they were in a long slump with the last great series they produced being SoraYori. That was in the beginning of 2018. If they couldnt get back on their game with their best long running series (sorry Overlord, its not even close), then not only would it have been a huge disappointment for Chihayafuru fans but also a sign that there truly is no hope left for the studio. Needless to say, my fears have been quelled. May this beloved series and studio continue to see more love and success in the future.
Best long running Madhouse series?... There is too much competition there, from Hunter x Hunter to Hajime no Ippo
Mar 25, 2020 7:30 AM

Oct 2012
@Adnash93

I can only assume that the production did the best they could with the time they were given and with the content they had to adapt. Of course it would pain us, but we can only hope that with a fourth season they'll go back on some things. It's actually not even a matter of "choosing to go back" or not, because they *had* to skip really important moments for the sake of getting to the end they wanted. Putting them out of order won't make much difference to the story, so it could be done. And the ones that can't should just be put into flashbacks. But they really wouldn't be able to go on without those scenes and they're aware of that, so if there's ever a fourth season, they're going to be adapted.

And yeah, I agree this last episode was the worst part of the season-- However they delivered a masterpiece to us in the other episodes, so I don't think it's really the production's fault :( If they had been given one more episode, things would've turned out perfectly. Anyway, if you want to check what was skipped/what this chapter cover, read chapters 139~143 of the manga. The anime ended with the final scene from chapter 143. By doing that you can see what they had to skip to fit what they wanted.

@_MushiRock11_

No problem! Glad I was able to ease your mind a little! And yeah, lately Suetsugu has been doing a lot for the karuta world (there was a Chihayafuru Cup a while ago, where the winner would actually receive money and prizes), so maybe the karuta world will do something for her manga as well xD (Although, really, every karuta player is kind of broken lol Since karuta does not give you prize moneys or is considered a real sport, you travel and play and get in competitions on your own... Now there's a wind of change trying to make things different in Japan, but who knows how long it's going to take until karuta actually becomes a professional thing).
Mar 25, 2020 7:36 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
MaahHeim said:
No problem! Glad I was able to ease your mind a little! And yeah, lately Suetsugu has been doing a lot for the karuta world (there was a Chihayafuru Cup a while ago, where the winner would actually receive money and prizes), so maybe the karuta world will do something for her manga as well xD (Although, really, every karuta player is kind of broken lol Since karuta does not give you prize moneys or is considered a real sport, you travel and play and get in competitions on your own... Now there's a wind of change trying to make things different in Japan, but who knows how long it's going to take until karuta actually becomes a professional thing).

Oh, that's interesting, I didn't know such changes are slowly being implemented now. About time then, I suppose. Hopefully, there'll be a round two of the Chihayafuru Cup and there they'll announce Season 4 maybe...

Mar 25, 2020 7:41 AM

Mar 2012
Adnash93 said:

139 to 143. It's just so sad that those were left out. maybe if we do get a season 4, the first episode of it can fill in the blanks. I wonder how to prevent this from happening again and hopefully they can make sure they get enough episodes to cover possible future seasons to finish the story.

@MaahHeim, this episode was like all of the Banana Fish season back in 2018 which left out some 40% of the manga leaving the series feeling fragmented. So many things were rushed and really important moments didn't get time to really cover it properly where something should be taken slowly (like Ash and Jessica's conversation dealing with the subject of rape). That kind of adaptation was really heartbreaking for me for such an amazing manga. I would HATE for this to happen to Chihayafuuru.
Mar 25, 2020 8:08 AM

Oct 2012
@MetaKite

I didn't read the manga for Banana Fish, but I remember I did feel like some episodes were rushed (and at the time, you filled me in about Ash's possible condition and stuff).

But really, the production for Chihayafuru just had to fit what they saw was the most important in the episodes they were allowed to have, I guess... With the low budget that Chihayafuru has every season is amazing that they can pull off such masterpiece of an adaptation every time. This episode was the first one in all three seasons that left me with a bitter taste, after all. That for itself is already amazing.

Madhouse clearly has always shown really good care with Chihayafuru and has faithfully adapted from the original source material, so I don't think you should fear that this could happen here too. This last episode was not the norm for the series adaptation.
Mar 25, 2020 8:41 AM

Sep 2017
Another great season of Chihayafuru. I really loved the poem metaphor they used. Anyway apparently they skipped a lot in this ep so I went and read the manga chapters. Yeah I'd recommend others check it our. Rip the characterization of the first years.
Mar 25, 2020 9:30 AM

Jan 2016
I can just pray that we will get a season 4 soon, although I won't be as dissatisfied if we don't get another season as I would've been without season 3 because now "peak chihayafuru" has been adapted

I'm not saying that it's gonna be bad from now on but the best parts have been adapted except for a couple of chapters
Mar 25, 2020 9:30 AM

Sep 2019
The whole season felt rushed, and i binge-watched the first 2 seasons when this one started airing because i was curious to see what was this, the production quality of the first 2 is overall superior, but this third season with the cheaper quality and rushed story managed to pass in quality the first 2 seasons by far, it got me excited to watch the next episode next week from some point till the end, and if someone would ask me tomorrow about what moments i remember well, i have to say the Harada vs Arata match might be it, alongside the master game of Harada, they really managed to pull well those matches in a really exciting way to watch, Chihayafuru doesn't need fancy animation to be captivating like it had in the first 2 seasons, I have no problem with the hit sound then still frame while cards are flying away, that is enough to give the idea of the hit, and is going to land well, the thing i like about this show is the human element, people struggle, harada has his knee pain but still plays, Taichi is a frustrated person who cannot win ones but still managed to resist for a long time but broke by the end, Arata improved drastically as a character, after watching the first 2 seasons i didn't like Arata, he was just there, but now he appeared more and showed he is not perfect boy at game and started to struggle and shit, even tho i still like more Taichi's character even with the dumbass confession he did mentioning other guy while doing it, hell even Retro ended up being a decent character by the end, his frustrations and struggles are real, the punchline character became one that the viewer can sympathize with for real now.
Mar 25, 2020 9:58 AM

Feb 2008
It took three seasons but Arata finally evolved. That guy likes to take his time.

Taichi, Chihaya and Arata are all one the move. Apart for now but fate will undeniably bring them together again. What will that encounter bring?

Fukasaku offered advice. Learn something. Anything. That ole man is one of my favourite characters.

Well, I am not that old. I think I will manage to wait long enough for the fourth season.
Mar 25, 2020 11:35 AM
Nov 2014
Is there any information about probability of season 4? I really hope it comes out soon, or at least comes out, but It’s not clear if this season was popular enough
Mar 25, 2020 1:14 PM

Oct 2017
Finally we got an episode about Arata, since he rarely gets screen time
Mar 25, 2020 2:51 PM

Mar 2012
saxe2 said:
The whole season felt rushed, and i binge-watched the first 2 seasons when this one started airing because i was curious to see what was this, the production quality of the first 2 is overall superior, but this third season with the cheaper quality and rushed story managed to pass in quality the first 2 seasons by far, it got me excited to watch the next episode next week from some point till the end, and if someone would ask me tomorrow about what moments i remember well, i have to say the Harada vs Arata match might be it, alongside the master game of Harada, they really managed to pull well those matches in a really exciting way to watch, Chihayafuru doesn't need fancy animation to be captivating like it had in the first 2 seasons, I have no problem with the hit sound then still frame while cards are flying away, that is enough to give the idea of the hit, and is going to land well, the thing i like about this show is the human element, people struggle, harada has his knee pain but still plays, Taichi is a frustrated person who cannot win ones but still managed to resist for a long time but broke by the end, Arata improved drastically as a character, after watching the first 2 seasons i didn't like Arata, he was just there, but now he appeared more and showed he is not perfect boy at game and started to struggle and shit, even tho i still like more Taichi's character even with the dumbass confession he did mentioning other guy while doing it, hell even Retro ended up being a decent character by the end, his frustrations and struggles are real, the punchline character became one that the viewer can sympathize with for real now.
Taichi didn't mention Arata to Chihaya. He was just thinking it like he was thinking "This is just a joke I was pissed at first when I thought he antagonized her using Arata in the middle of a confession but he didn't say out loud to her.
Mar 25, 2020 3:25 PM

Jul 2017
What a marvelous return, im taking off my hat to you, Chihayafuru 3. Simply amazing season without a doubt.

Not only we had more valuable character development and more Karuta action, we also got the development of the romance aspect, wich made this season even more concise and engaging. Story development was also spot on. Superb stuff, well done Madhouse 👌

Strong 9/10, give us more of this!! I need to see how the romance evolves!
Mar 25, 2020 3:35 PM

May 2016
What a ride I been watching this since October, and without it, its gonna be lonely weeks again. the finale didn't feel like one but I can never get enough of Arata especially when he is working hard. 9/10 hopefully S4 hits soon enough.
Mar 25, 2020 3:48 PM

May 2011
This ep was emotional.I really felt it when Taichi left the club and Chihaya broke down in the corridor.

Chihayafuru s3 was great and I really hope we get a season 4.

''I was dead serious''

Mar 25, 2020 4:17 PM
Apr 2018
_MushiRock11_ said:
MaahHeim said:
But they rushed things way too much! I'm really sad. They cut the scene that shows Tamaru's nasty personality and Chihaya leaving the club (I love how Kana-chan scolds her for her own good there)... And everyone saying that they've lost their Sun/Moon... And Taichi realizing he hated karuta and Suo praising him for being able to handle playing it for everyone else's sake for so long... The talk with the teacher in the beginning made me happy, also her memories and stuff, but from then on I felt like it was a mess. Even some lines seemed to have been recorded faster (like, people saying it fast) so everything would fit. I'm fairly disappointed, but I guess it was the studio's choice for time and stuff like that... I still would've prefered the sad ending...

Right, no wonder why the episode felt compressed and a few things kind of out of place. I was expecting them to sign off on a sorrowful note too given how last episode transpired but here’s to hoping this is just a good sign for continuity in the near future! Technically, it works the other way round but one can dream...

Damn, Sakurazawa-sensei sharing the info of not only Taichi's but Chihaya's retirement though. Definitely shook me to my core xD. It's a pity that studying and trying to focus elsewhere didn't do the trick but credit to the elderly teacher there for lending an ear firstly and then with that gold piece of advice.

Lots of focus on Arata this episode, and it was quite the treat indeed! Being a team leader and playing a team battle is completely different and it's nice to see how he's slowly starting to appreciate this.

Goes to show just how important a piece Taichi was to the foundation of Mizusawa's Karuta Club who managed to master that role from the get-go, with helpful support from Chihaya of course.

Those final moments were amazing, Taichi and Chihaya aren't down and out just yet! Just like how Arata was saved earlier from the two, now it's payback time. Really liked that message from this episode, "it is the encounter in life that make life worth living" as they say.

Overall, from the anime franchise thus far, this has easily been my favourite season of the three. I believe this is genuinely one of those shows that keeps getting better as it goes on. Character Depth and Drama with a pinch of exhilarating Karuta action and the divine elegance of Literature, I can't have enough of this lol. I'm really glad that they took the 6 month extension now that I look back on the season, the artstyle and animation quality has been brilliant for the most part after all.

It's been an eventful season from start to finish but the Omu Jingu matches were probably the highlight for me. Harada-sensei is just too bloody good! Didn't think I would find myself so intrigued by Suo-san either, if I'm to be frankly honest. Man, I need more of this now! Season 4, please! Best seasonal anime I've had the pleasure of keeping up with since SanGatsu no Lion S2 and Re:Zero!

Here's a little something for fellow fans (sorry it's not 4th Season announcement or such though):

Edit: Managed to stay up till 6 am despite having my Chemistry Theory Paper the day after tomorrow... Well, no regrets.

Thanks for sharing the video. Just shows how amazing the people working at madhouse are. Especially to give us such a great treat throughout the series this season.
Mar 25, 2020 5:54 PM
Nov 2007
This was great. I am between 9 and 10, but because the story ends on a cliffhanger it will be 9. Also happy that the score was fixed.
Mar 25, 2020 6:08 PM

Oct 2013
@MaahHeim , I think as well that more in fault were not creators of this adaptation, but other factors, like timeline in example. It's sad, because this whole season was utterly fantastic and had to leave us with quite disappointing ending episode. Like I said before, it was not bad, it was still great, but it looked quite pale compared to the previous episodes and the fact it skipped so many content from the manga is just sad. And these words go from anime-only like me, so I guess manga readers were even more disappointed.

@MetaKite , in my opinion those unadapted content should be adapted either in Season 4's first episode as flashback (even a short one, lasting for several minutes) or be covered in separate special episode or OVA with length or regular episode. That could be enough, however I have not read it yet so I can't judge whether those chapters' pace would fit if they were to be "stuffed inside around 20-minutes long episode".

Thanks both @MaahHeim and @MetaKite for providing which chapters were adapted in this last episode. I must check it out - I don't want to wait for Season 4's possible flashback or hypothetical OVA or whatever, because it is still not certain and I am really curious what were the circumstances in which Chihaya left her club for real.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» If you want to continue with the manga after watching

NiQ1 - Feb 21, 2023

19 by NiQ1 »»
Mar 21, 2:01 AM

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Jan 14, 2020

126 by realfifi »»
Dec 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2019

105 by Katsu-kun »»
Aug 15, 2023 4:35 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2020

185 by chiakimagoto »»
Aug 11, 2023 11:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.