Forum Settings
Forums
Mar 24, 9:44 AM

There are exceptions, but I've found that most rappers rap about:

A. How good they are at rapping.

B. Materialistic possessions.

C. Personnel experiences/emotions.

D. Being a gangster (even though they don't even have a criminal record associated with those activities)

E. A social issue that somehow relates to them.

Why are so few rappers rapping about fictional stories? Like, why doesn't there seem to be a rapper rapping about a fictional story set in Feudal Japan, or something like that?
Rappers like Logic and Eminem, are practically running out of things to rap about themselves, since they've told their life stories throughout their music. Why don't they move onto rapping about, something like, schizophrenia? Sure, they're not schizophrenic, but most authors haven't experienced what their characters experienced either, but still manage to write well-constructed fictional stories.

I couldn't find anything on the internet explaining this question.
Modified by RealTheAbsurdist, Mar 24, 9:51 AM
I live by the waifu, and die by the waifu

"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Mar 24, 11:44 PM

RealTheAbsurdist said:

Why are so few rappers rapping about fictional stories?

Because you listen to garbage rappers lolololololol

Mar 25, 1:32 AM

A. Because they lead limited lives and don't really have much to say for themselves. B. They know their target audience demographics and what they buy. C. They do what the record label and their management tells them to do.

You might get some clues from the Straight Outta Compton movie. I dunno.

Mar 25, 2:01 AM

Either most lack the creative sense for that OR they believe that type of stuff wouldn't work for the mainstream.

For example look at this, a rap based entirely on a fictional story of aliens abducting this guy's wife while he's away and him trying to rush home.

Or for example this one, from the same guy, which could be based around a child soldier or someone abducted into the nazi war machine because their country was occupied [and therefore they were forced into the ranks]:

Or perhaps shahmen, who's themes most of his songs around shamanism and it's basically other wordly poetry [which is what true rap is]. Check 1:27

Edit:
To be fair the lyrics for this particular shahmen song sounds like something he himself witnessed, either that or he has one hell of an imagination lmao

Modified by Cneq, Mar 25, 2:11 AM

Mar 25, 2:19 AM

Well I don't think many young adults want to listen about old Japan. They wanna hear something they want to hear and rappers have to kinda market their ideas towards their best interest

Mar 25, 2:28 AM

Cneq said:
Either most lack the creative sense

Hmm...I'm not sure about that. I mean, artists record 100s of songs.

Cneq said:
for that OR they believe that type of stuff wouldn't work for the mainstream.

I mean...maybe in the 90s, when rap listeners cared more about lyrics. But nowadays, most rap listeners don't care for lyrics (unfortunately). I think even with an alien concept, if it's rapped over a dope, mainstream, instrumental, with a catchy hook, a rap song like that can be a hit. But then again, it's risky; and hip hop is a business. Still, many famous rappers who first start out, are more artistically hungry. So I still think it's kinda weird I haven't heard of a mainstream rapper taking that kinda risk.

I just listened to the last 2 songs you posted, while looking up the lyrics, and...holy crap. I really need to listen to underground rap more. Are there any underground rappers you'd recommend?

-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Mar 25, 4:32 AM

RealTheAbsurdist said:
Cneq said:
Either most lack the creative sense

Hmm...I'm not sure about that. I mean, artists record 100s of songs.

Cneq said:
for that OR they believe that type of stuff wouldn't work for the mainstream.

I mean...maybe in the 90s, when rap listeners cared more about lyrics. But nowadays, most rap listeners don't care for lyrics (unfortunately). I think even with an alien concept, if it's rapped over a dope, mainstream, instrumental, with a catchy hook, a rap song like that can be a hit. But then again, it's risky; and hip hop is a business. Still, many famous rappers who first start out, are more artistically hungry. So I still think it's kinda weird I haven't heard of a mainstream rapper taking that kinda risk.

I just listened to the last 2 songs you posted, while looking up the lyrics, and...holy crap. I really need to listen to underground rap more. Are there any underground rappers you'd recommend?
Sadly these are the only two I know who do lyrics like this. I'd say check out more of Zack Hemsey's stuff since almost all of his songs are similar [with some being even better]. He's actually not a rapper but a composer [like hans zimmer] but he raps over some of his songs. Every single one has it's own narrative so it's def worth checking out. For example here's a few more

About a witch:

About a nomad on the pursuit of knowledge:

This ones about a man loosing his wife to cancer:

This one is actually three narratives combined:

He actually has an entire album called ronin dedicated to ronins in feudal japan like you mentioned before lol [here's one of the songs on that album]

Mar 25, 12:37 PM

ummm...because they're rappers? Honestly I think almost anything is better than singing about ass n titties all the time...I mean, that's fine in small doses but there's such a thing as too much tna...the brain can only handle so much...

Mar 25, 1:27 PM

Deltron 3030 immediately comes to mind when talking about rap that isn't drugs/ass and titties

here is a play list since there isn't one video with the whole album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctc7cqQoO7Q&list=PLcqxxF8AYd2yJNJ3lSUVZ-Zm9AII_ZKMK&index=1

Here is another space concept album - done by clipping a experimental hip hop artist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpXiEb2KVoY

MF DOOM and his collab with madlib called MADVILLAIN raps about being a comic book villain. Madvillainy is a must listen

madvillainy - a play list but it's made the official record company.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ0yXh_ADlQ&list=PL9dk_xtWpAkKs1-EKcvq-nKwdaaS-3czd

MM FOOD - another playlist - the album has a theme about food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuxHWc-ZEXw&list=PLAsrjxt66CYYiEMRFBb7_tm-WbE58WZtM

Death Grips does music that is different than the typical rap too.

I could've sworn there was vfull album videos for these albums.
Modified by PunkFunkSlamDunk, Mar 25, 1:34 PM

Mar 25, 1:59 PM
Stay at home

Shitty rappers, shitty lyrics.

Rap is a story to tell. Some of these stories are cliché, poorly made bias, some rappers make all the time.

Pretty much what Snoop said:

Cheers to @Cneq for awesome music taste. Zack is a fucking genius.

Mar 25, 2:33 PM

E. is the most broad statement you can possibly make my dude how is that "limiting" in any way? Ask 10 people their opinions on a social issue of their choosing and you'll get 10 different answers.

Mar 25, 4:13 PM
Corona Yandere

There are plenty of rappers who Rap about fiction or abstract stuff.
Couple of songs off the top of my head:

Papoose - Law Library 1 - 8 Playlist

Mar 25, 4:38 PM

To be fair, I don't think that the lyrical content from albums like Planetary Duality, Akróasis, Kindly Bent to Free Us, Herzeleid, or obZen would work as rap albums.

Mar 25, 6:30 PM

Auron_ said:
E. is the most broad statement you can possibly make my dude how is that "limiting" in any way? Ask 10 people their opinions on a social issue of their choosing and you'll get 10 different answers.

Yes, social issues is a broad topic, but it's still a topic, nonetheless. Just like how different rappers in the A category, will rap differently of how good they are at rapping. And you won't necessarily get 10 different answers about social issues every time: for example, if you ask 10 people on abortion, there are only 2 possible answers, usually: pro life, or pro abortion. I think the idea of a social issue being a topic is awesome, but if it's one of the ONLY topics you're willing to rap about, I think that's kinda boring.
Like, rap is supposed to be poetry, right? And poetry is a form of writing that covers a wider range of topics. Yet, mainstream rap seems to limit itself to only a select few topics. I mean, how does making poetry about bragging, count as true poetry? I read a bunch of poems for high school, and none of them were about bragging. I think brag rap is just tasteless, cheap, easy to write.

FacelessVixen said:
To be fair, I don't think that the lyrical content from albums like Planetary Duality, Akróasis, Kindly Bent to Free Us, Herzeleid, or obZen would work as rap albums.

I've never heard of those albums. Why do you think that?

-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Mar 25, 6:31 PM

Because it's not profitable for "Most" rappers. There are exceptions of those who have done it but the effort of creating a well-constructed fictional story...isn't worth it, Especially in todays climate.

Mar 25, 6:45 PM

Qeeb said:
Because it's not profitable for "Most" rappers. There are exceptions of those who have done it but the effort of creating a well-constructed fictional story...isn't worth it, Especially in todays climate.

But do you mean by "especially in todays climate?"

-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Mar 25, 6:56 PM

@RealTheAbsurdist: ...Actually, to think about it a bit more:

Planetary Duality was inspired by Children of the Matrix, aliens, which could work as a rap album by Lil Uzi.

But as for Akróasis, though more so Obscura's discography as a whole, I can't really thin kof a cool way that rappers can write songs about German philosophers.

And as for Cynic, Rammstein and Meshuggah, I'll let you come up with your own conclusions.

Mar 25, 7:00 PM

RealTheAbsurdist said:
Qeeb said:

Well the average rap fan will see a new song or album drop and listen to it for what, A day or 2? and forget about it.

We wont get started on most fans not caring about the content at all.

Mar 25, 7:56 PM

Qeeb said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Well the average rap fan will see a new song or album drop and listen to it for what, A day or 2? and forget about it.

We wont get started on most fans not caring about the content at all.

Oh yeah, that's right; most fans don't even pay attention to the lyrics. I didn't think how hard it is to write a storytelling song compared to a non-storytelling song.

-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Mar 25, 10:06 PM

RealTheAbsurdist said:

I present to you Deltron 3030—a sci-fi 'hip-hopera' that centers on Deltron Zero, "a disillusioned mech soldier and interplanetary computer prodigy rebelling against a 31st-century New World Order. In a world where evil oligarchs suppress both human rights and hip-hop, Del fights rap battles against a series of foes, becoming Galactic Rhyme Federation Champion."

oh, damn, someone beat me to it—
PunkFunkSlamDunk said:
Deltron 3030 immediately comes to mind when talking about rap that isn't drugs/ass and titties

A more general answer to your overall question is that they write what they know (their experiences) and what will sell. It just depends on the artist and how on point their pen game is.

last.fm / recent albums / twitter

Mar 26, 1:28 AM

It’s what is popular, you have to produce things that will make money if you want to have food on the table. If putting food on the table means doing what most people do then you can’t blame them.

Mar 26, 3:14 AM

To be serious, how about you listen to real music if you wan't to hear interesting subject matter. Rap music is complete trash.

Mar 26, 4:06 AM

RealTheAbsurdist said:

Yes, social issues is a broad topic, but it's still a topic, nonetheless. Just like how different rappers in the A category, will rap differently of how good they are at rapping.

It is a topic the way "happenings in life" is a topic, that is to say a blanket statement which encompasses so many different things that classifying all under the same umbrella term is ridiculous. If you look at "books about social issues" you'll see anything ranging from feminism to anarchism to syndicalism to libertarianism etc. It's not at all comparable to "the manner in which they express they're good at rapping." that is simply a difference in style.

RealTheAbsurdist said:
And you won't necessarily get 10 different answers about social issues every time: for example, if you ask 10 people on abortion, there are only 2 possible answers, usually: pro life, or pro abortion.

"Ask 10 people their opinions on a social issue of their choosing" is the key word here. Rappers don't all talk about the same particular problems do they? It's not analogous to asking 10 people of a certain social issue, but whatever issue they want to talk about.
Modified by Auron_, Mar 26, 4:20 AM

Mar 26, 8:30 AM

onchyophoran said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

I present to you Deltron 3030—a sci-fi 'hip-hopera' that centers on Deltron Zero, "a disillusioned mech soldier and interplanetary computer prodigy rebelling against a 31st-century New World Order. In a world where evil oligarchs suppress both human rights and hip-hop, Del fights rap battles against a series of foes, becoming Galactic Rhyme Federation Champion."

oh, damn, someone beat me to it—
PunkFunkSlamDunk said:

A more general answer to your overall question is that they write what they know (their experiences) and what will sell. It just depends on the artist and how on point their pen game is.

Oh damn I didn't mean to catch you like that, I gotta mention Deltron 3030 when I can, they need recognition. Del himself is underrated too.

this song is oddly fitting atm

Mar 26, 9:53 AM

RealTheAbsurdist said:

D. Being a gangster (even though they don't even have a criminal record associated with those activities)

Why are so few rappers rapping about fictional stories? Like, why doesn't there seem to be a rapper rapping about a fictional story set in Feudal Japan, or something like that?
Rappers like Logic and Eminem, are practically running out of things to rap about themselves, since they've told their life stories throughout their music. Why don't they move onto rapping about, something like, schizophrenia? Sure, they're not schizophrenic, but most authors haven't experienced what their characters experienced either, but still manage to write well-constructed fictional stories.

Because you are listening to trash tier rappers. That's why.

Mar 26, 12:10 PM

Black-Moon-Magic said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Because you are listening to trash tier rappers. That's why.

I've listened to:

2pac
Nas
Biggie
Eminem
Jay Z
Big L
Big Pun
Denzel Curry
Joyner Lucas
Kendrick Lamar
OutKast (a couple of their songs, as of now)

And more.

-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Mar 26, 1:41 PM

all of these that you are naming are surface level stuff. very surface level.

Mar 26, 6:19 PM
There isn't an artistic approach to it. Most new rappers want the money so they turn towards the copy and paste formula. A lot of people mindlessly consume music, mostly because everyone else is listening to it. Rather than trying to be brave they just go with surefire ways to make hits.

Logic's second album had a nice fictional element to it, it's really disappointing he couldn't come up with more creative concepts.

Mar 26, 6:42 PM

If I remember correctly, there's this one dude whom you always argue with about this dumb topic but I forgot his name. Miss him already, that big ego shit music taste son of a gun.

And isn't it lyrical rap that covers a way wider range of topics? Even so, A, C and E are pretty much enough.
. . .

Mar 26, 10:20 PM

The answer to this question is best exemplified by an exchange between Jermaine Dupri and Cardi B. Asked what Jermaine thinks about our current group of female rappers, he said

"I feel like they all are rapping about the same thing, and I don’t think they’re showing us who’s the best rapper. For me, it’s like strippers rapping. As far as rap goes, I’m not getting who is the best rapper. I’m getting OK, you got a story about you dancing in the club, you got a story about you dancing in the club, you got a story about you dancing in the club. OK. All right. Cool. Who’s going to be the rapper?… At some point, somebody’s going to have to break out of that mold and talk about other things."

Which is almost exactly your point. Anyways, listen to the exchange between Jermaine Dupri and Cardi B:

So the answer to your question is: White boys who are the main constituents buying mp3s and calling into radio stations don't listen to substantive music. They listen to mumble rap. That's what gets voted into the charts. That's what gets noticed. Why aren't rappers rapping about feudal Japan? Because nobody gives a shit about feudal Japan.

Schizophrenia, you said?

I Googled feudal Japan rap and found this
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

Mar 26, 10:25 PM

Rappers don't always freestyle but it's a high octane artform. There's much less control over what you put out than other forms of music. Rap is its own genre, and it does center on themes of power.

That being said there's an amazing amount of diversity in the genre so it might not be found wanting after all.

Mar 26, 10:27 PM

Gan_water said:
Rappers don't always freestyle but it's a high octane artform. There's much less control over what you put out than other forms of music. Rap is its own genre, and it does center on themes of power.

That being said there's an amazing amount of diversity in the genre so it might not be found wanting after all.

I have no doubt that if I look hard enough, I'll find diversity in hip hop (not diversity in the sense of the racial identity of the rapper, I don't care about that). My problem though, is that it's hard finding rap music that stands out from the mold, when it comes to subject matter.

-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Mar 26, 10:30 PM

RealTheAbsurdist said:
Gan_water said:

I have no doubt that if I look hard enough, I'll find diversity in hip hop (not diversity in the sense of the racial identity of the rapper, I don't care about that). My problem though, is that it's hard finding rap music that stands out from the mold, when it comes to subject matter.

Try reggae/dancehall rap. They actually rap about spiritual topics, and it's actually good:

Mar 26, 11:40 PM

It's either a gimick to make themselves stand out, is a personal preference, or they have such limited skillsets it's all they know how to do. Though many don't even write their own material so same applies when it's someone else. It's not uncommon for a rapper to use a different persona and pseudonym for different styles and themes which seems to be just a trend

Mar 27, 1:36 AM
Corona Yandere

Black-Moon-Magic said:
all of these that you are naming are surface level stuff. very surface level.

Lol I agree. People listen to a bunch of shitty mainstream artists and think they are true fans of the genre.

Yesterday, 7:49 PM
Strongly agree with the last answer

Yesterday, 10:38 PM

A combination of limited experience and people sucking the status quo dry

9 hours ago
Stay at home

Inexperienced people who know nothing about rap that listen to inexperienced rappers.